PDA

View Full Version : Hitokiri Battousais Bracers

SamuraiKenshin
01-18-2003, 11:08 PM
Im going to Otakon as Hitokiri Battousai this year and i cant find anywhere that even aknowledges the fact that Samurai wore bracers. I cant buy them, find instructions on how to make them, cant even find anyone to make them for me. Does anyone here know how to make them or know where i can get them? It would be really helpful and i'd be sure to give you mad props at Otakon when people ask me where i got em. ^_^x

Koumori
01-18-2003, 11:43 PM
They should be easy enough to make. Measure around your wrist (or, if you want them to slip on, around the widest part of your hand), around your arm as far down as you want them to go, and measure the distance in between for the length. Then lay out a pattern using those measurements, and add the hand guard portion using a curve from the center of the bracer. I can't seem to find a source for the ready-made one I used to wear when I was playing kendo, but traditionally they're made, like other kendo/fencing equipment, out of very tightly, heavily quilted cotton; you might want to use a stiff fabric or even plastic sandwiched between layers of fabric.

SamuraiKenshin
01-18-2003, 11:45 PM
Thanks that should help me alot...but if anyone else has any other suggestions im up for em. ^_^x

SailorMo
01-19-2003, 01:06 AM
There's a japanese site that has them... Good for at least the shape, eh?
http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/footwear7.htm

or mebbe do a google for "kendo supplies" or something like that?

Sion
01-19-2003, 01:11 AM
Ahh being a kendo student myself, just had to say that you wouldn't find what you're looking for in kendo gear, we dont wear bracers, we use gloves AKA Kote, which cover your entire hand. No bracers I'm afraid. But that site had the right idea I think.

Eriku-san

Koumori
01-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Sion
Ahh being a kendo student myself, just had to say that you wouldn't find what you're looking for in kendo gear, we dont wear bracers, we use gloves AKA Kote, which cover your entire hand. No bracers I'm afraid. But that site had the right idea I think.

Actually, I always wore something very similar to Kenshin's bracer as a support under my right kote. Purchased, I believe, from a Japanese shop though.

Sion
01-19-2003, 04:52 PM
Ahh well I never really thought about UNDER the kote... oh well hehehe.

Eriku-san

SamuraiKenshin
01-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks a lot SailorMo. That was exactly what i was looking for, even the right color. You rock. Thanks to everyone else for your help too. ^_^x

CrossScar
01-22-2003, 06:48 AM
I was trying to look for some aswell, I searched "Everywhere" but it all came down to me making my own ^.^

- Justin

TheLoneWolf
01-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Err.......forget it,my mistake

Umi
01-22-2003, 09:48 PM
I making some of those bracer type things for my Misao costume. The basic pattern is very simple. I don't have it on me at the moment otherwise I'd post a scan. But once you do have it in front of you, you just hem the ends and attach a looped string to the middle of the portion that covers the hand. After that it's a matter of altering the wrist section area and attaching something material or liner or even string to secure the wrist. The hand portion has a curve to it.

Tho' I've seen some instances in Kenshin where those bracers are depicted more like rectangles that cover the top part of the arm. The wrist and finger dealy are still the same but the material looks thicker and padded like sparring equipment.