PDA

View Full Version : Costume anxiety

StacyMichelle
07-19-2002, 06:16 PM
It's good to know that I won't be the only one finishing up my costume on Thursday night :thumbsup:

Still kinda bummed that I didn't have the time or money to go big this year :( I guess there's always next time.

ElfEater
07-19-2002, 06:53 PM
;_; I hear ya. My only new costume I'll have at Otakon, I still havent even started. Im thinking I can finish it this weekend and be done, but, grrr.. I dont think I'll have time.
Sigggggghhhhh. Dont be bummed! Im sure everything will turn out aok and even if you can have some big costume, you'll have time to do cooler things!

Rosiel
07-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Try your best but don't lose sleep over it! LOL I went from 4 planned costumes (2 repairs 2 new) to one (new) costume...

And the worst part is I'm not even sure I will be done.

*dies*

I just finished lacing the pant legs. That costume is evil. It's one of those "look easy but it extremely annoying and time consuming" ones... 132 eyeholes in, about 50 to go.

*cries*

Anyway, you could always chronicle your progress, it always motiates me! So, did you get anything done today? =)

StacyMichelle
07-20-2002, 01:18 AM
Good luck ElfEater!! I hope you find the time to fini... er, start!

Rosiel... I hate when I pick costumes that look so easy to make but end up being impossible! Worked on a hat today. Heh, go me! :)

I like to update my livejournal sometimes... that motivates me too!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/skcosplay

I love cosplay and everything, but I still can't seem to really dedicate myself to it. I think I'm just lazy!! (Not to mention poor and impatient!)

Rosiel
07-20-2002, 08:23 AM
> I love cosplay and everything, but I still can't seem to really dedicate myself to it

I have that problem sometimes. Like, say, right now. ^___^
Luckily a friend of mine is in the same situation for Otakon so since we live too far away to work together and have great cell phone plans, we just sew on the phone for hours on end.

It works when you have someone else to motivate you when you feel fed up... and you can do the same for them.

I wish I knew more cosplayers nearby, working with others helps a lot!

kelldar
07-20-2002, 09:29 AM
I actually got mine done last night :D first time I ever didn't have to stay up the night before I leave to get done. Well, ok, so my lina shoulder thingies aren't done yet, but... all my sewing is done! yeah! heh.

Rosiel
07-20-2002, 10:00 AM
I just HAD to mention it... my iron just DIED. Rrrrrrrrr. So now I have to leave the house in a panic to buy not only dye for my wig but an iron too!

*runs around like a headless chicken*

arisuchan
07-20-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm happy to say that last night I finished both of my costumes!! All I have to do is add some "poofy-ness" to them and my life is good. Of course I still have a wig to style, but that will hopefully not take forver. I can't believe how close the con is!

Marisa
07-20-2002, 11:48 AM
I have my Tron costume finished. I just need a red glove, blonde hair spray (I've already got the red), and yellow paint for my Yami Yugi costume.

StacyMichelle
07-20-2002, 06:36 PM
My friend and I work on costumes too... but whenever we're together, we never get anything done! Go figure!
Gomen about the iron, Ros! Perfect timing for an iron to break down, ne?

Man, people are actually finishing their costumes... so I guess I'm... not the only one! I finished my hat today for Momo.
http://stacy.deviouskitty.com/cosplay/photos/hat.jpg
My cats kept on stealing the puffy ears while I was trying to work... :P

Jibrille
07-20-2002, 09:46 PM
for some reason my motivation just fell out the window... *watches it plummet to its death* anyway....
maybe i am just nervous about beatrix looking like crap but its almost like i cant bring myself to finish it or something... i am confused... this isnt very me to just lack my motivation *looks at flat puddle of dead motivation on pavement*
I just finished dying my hair for beatrix though... i just have too much to do, even aside from beatrix...
must find new motivation....
maybe just run around in what i have finished for a bit... maybe that will encourage me or something... -.-;;;;;

between the sewing machine giving me crap...
i've lost some weight since i made the jacket so it got baggy which i think i fixed..? o.O (anyone who has seen beatrix knows its not lose at ALL)
and the sewing machine decided it doesnt know how to sew super thin pleather vinyl
and the paint wont stop being sticky on the pleather... (looks great but stickyness gathers much fuzz)

must fight on... must win over costume... arrrrr....

;_;

StacyMichelle
07-21-2002, 09:28 AM
There there, Jibrille. If it's any consolation, I've seen your other costumes and they look awesome! I'm sure Beatrix will look just as awesome, if not better! Nice choice, by the way, she's a really spiffy character.

Celine
07-21-2002, 10:50 AM
To everyone still sewing, hang in there! There are still a bunch of days left, including today. Today, being Sunday, is an excellent day to sew!! I just finished the main parts of my own costumes last night (dang details will kill me). I have one commission to complete and one to start. I've been much more productive in the last 24 hours since a friend came over to work on his costume too.

So keep hope alive!! ^_^ We'll all make it!!!

Jibrille
07-21-2002, 11:49 AM
thanks StacyMichelle. ^^
i think i developed enough motivation to finish her today. i realize i am sooooo close! I CAN DO THIS! HAARRR!!! ^^;;
*goes running*

Mara
07-21-2002, 01:33 PM
It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only procrastinator out there. I'm just glad it's Sunday and I can spend the whole day working on my costumes. But I've given up trying to clean up after myself. My house looks like a fabric/craft store exploded inside it. :)

-Mara

StacyMichelle
07-21-2002, 03:24 PM
:)

Mara - That's what my room looks like now! *goes back to working on Neptune*

hisshouburaiken
07-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ElfEater
;_; I hear ya. My only new costume I'll have at Otakon, I still havent even started. Im thinking I can finish it this weekend and be done, but, grrr.. I dont think I'll have time.

Does this mean you'll be bringing your old costumes along? You should be Momo for a day! Why? 'Cuz I'm being Kurow and I think my costume's not TOO far below the caliber of yours :D

Plus there's a Kyosuke, Batsu and Wild Daigo in my group. PHOTO OP!

Rosiel
07-22-2002, 08:51 AM
> I'm just glad it's Sunday and I can spend the whole day working on my costumes.

I was helping a friend building her wings on Sunday so... I got one sleeve done! *dies* (I also accidentally dyed myself and part of my kitchen and bathroom a lovely shade of smurf blue trying to dye a wig...) I am in trouble.... >__<

> But I've given up trying to clean up after myself. My house looks like a fabric/craft store exploded inside it.

LOL My apartment looks like that too! And just when my mother came down to visit! She now thinks I am the biggest slob alive! (actually, I would think I am had I not seen a picture of Celine's room)

Celine
07-22-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Rosiel
(actually, I would think I am had I not seen a picture of Celine's room)

hehe XD

My room's always particularly bad around con season... I never quite have time to finish unpacking before I'm going off somewhere again!! I was so proud of myself to have unpacked everything within a week of returning from AX. And in about two days, I have to pack up again for Otakon. I can't win!

Rosiel
07-22-2002, 01:40 PM
> I was so proud of myself to have unpacked everything within a week of returning from AX. And in about two days, I have to pack up again for Otakon. I can't win!

LOL
Well I beat you this time.

I have NOT yet unpacked from AX and I need to pack for Otakon within 2 days. So it'll be "throw everything out, make a pile, then pack new things in".

Jibrille
07-22-2002, 08:50 PM
I... *weeps* ... JUST FINISHED BEATRIX.... ;_;

only one hill left to climb and i can go to the con in peace...

Celine
07-23-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Jibrille
I... *weeps* ... JUST FINISHED BEATRIX.... ;_;

Oooh! Congrats!!! I cannot wait to see it. ^_^ I just finished one of my commissions tonight so I'm all psyched. One more to go and I'm ALL DONE!! YAY!!!!

*must sew FASTER!*

Rosiel
07-23-2002, 08:47 AM
>I... *weeps* ... JUST FINISHED BEATRIX.... ;_;

Yay! Good work!

> I just finished one of my commissions tonight so I'm all psyched.

You're so brave, taking commissions and making so many costumes of your own... I've thought of taking commissions myself, but I spend so much time on each anal little details it ends up as something more akin to art than sewing... when you spend FIVE (yes, 5) hours on a pant leg, you know you're taking this too seriously. LOL

Maybe I should sell wings.
I'm used to making those. >__<;;;;;

HuongStar
07-23-2002, 05:01 PM
Ack...at the very last minute, I decided that my lace wasn't good enough so I bought some new stuff and I hope it turns out well. Cripes...I forgot about the drying time for dye too. >_<

I hope I have time to finish gathering some more ruffles for my Chii hair band too. :confused:

Marisa
07-23-2002, 07:37 PM
My Yuugi costume is pretty much finished. ^__^ Just need to finish details on the Millennium Puzzle and get that red glove...that one measley glove...

Oshi
07-23-2002, 09:25 PM
...I just finished the sword tonight. Two wooden dowels wrapped in duct tape, for the most part XD
I gotta make the 'trenchvest' and ... find a wig. Which I have no clue where to get. I'm gonna color it and cut it to look like this: http://gamix.org/paul/OshiStareColor.jpg *shrug*

DancingVampire
07-24-2002, 06:50 AM
my friends sewing machine broke so her mom now cant make her costume so now I've got to make a WHOLE costume tonight and add all the details in the car tommorrow onn the way up >_< and I still wanna finish my larva doll to go with miyu :( oh well maybe I can finish larva thurs night and carry it over to fri morning ::Waiting in line to get con pass and still sewing hair on::
Chaio~
Dancing Vampire

Rosiel
07-24-2002, 08:31 AM
I just realized that I forgot the wing holes in my costume... so not only is it not finished, I have to rip a few seams.

*dies*

Speaking of which my wings need repairs -again- wayyy too many people snuggled in them at Anime Expo. X___X

Neon Genocide
07-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Finaly finished on the touchups to my costume last night. I think I will actually be all set for this friday at otakon.

HuongStar
07-24-2002, 09:56 AM
Rush rush rush....I still have so many things to do!! @_@