PDA

View Full Version : costume prices?

Setsuna22
01-19-2003, 11:59 AM
I'm fairly new to cosplay <never actually done it> But I have boughten a few little costumes! I'm thinking about having one proffesionally made, (Of Nuriko) But, It's gonna cost me about $250! Is this a good idea? It will be a fairly elaborate costume! I'm just not sure if It's a good idea to spend that much money! Thanks ^_^

Celine
01-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Which version of Nuriko? ^^ He's got several different outfits, and I believe that the difficulty levels vary. As I used to take commissions, I think that amount sounds very reasonable for a professionally-made costume. If you've heard good things about the person you're commissioning, or have seen their work in person, you should be fine. Custom-made costumes are often more expensive than people think, but you generally get wonderful results. ^_^

cutekawaii
01-19-2003, 12:07 PM
If it's professional, that's a great deal! Don't let that one get away!

Hikaruchan
01-19-2003, 12:54 PM
If it is Nuriko's traveling outfit(s) might be a little high depending on the maker's skill, but if its one of the court outfits from a good maker that is a very good price.

RoseDuelist
01-19-2003, 01:00 PM
If you can afford it, do it. I can't afford it. I have to make my costumes in pieces. Yesterday I spent $6.00 on fabric. I'll make that part of the costume and a few weeks from now, when I have some more change, I'll buy more fabric and continue.

Merle-kun
01-19-2003, 01:50 PM
I guess I see comissioned costumes as being too much. But that's largely in part to my being able to make my own. Costumes are a lot of work though. And sometimes, even the simple ones can present more work that you might think. I've been surprised a few times. My best advice is to learn to sew yourself, and eventually start making your own costumes. It's a lot of fun for me to figure out the problems in creating things, and it would lose all it's pull if I had mine made by others.

Koumori
01-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Merle-kun
I guess I see comissioned costumes as being too much. But that's largely in part to my being able to make my own.

Yes - so you know the amount of time, energy, attention and cost that goes into it. And any commissioned seamstress/tailor is going to need to make some money for him/herself as well, or else why do it? The materials for my Nuriko costume cost me around $210, and making the pattern, cutting, sewing, dyeing and styling the wig must have taken upwards of 15 hours (5 or 6 hours for hand-hemming alone). So if I were to make that for someone else, I'd charge at least $350-400 for it to cover the cost of materials and make it worth my time.

Saeru
01-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Also, and I'm not entirely sure how much relevance this has, but...
if you're willing to buy it for that much....
when you're done with it, someone else might be willing to pay that much for it, if you sell it. Costumes can be an investment, if you have a good one that stays in good condition...
and if its professional...I'd bet it'd be in fine condition.

Mink
01-20-2003, 01:31 AM
I for one think that is very expensive, but I am deturmined to find cheap prices. Im such a bargin hunter I will go out of my way to save a buck....but thats another story. As comissions go that sounds pretty much like what they usually charge, though it tends to be much cheaper (and more satisfying) to do it yourself. I dont know Im rambeling!

Setsuna22
01-20-2003, 08:58 AM
I think this time I'll go ahead and buy the costume! It's actually, I think, Nuriko's Traveling outfit! It's red with blue around the edges! I'd crossplay to be in one of his more fanciful outfits, but my parents arent to keen on that idea ^^*. Next time, though, I think I'll at least try and make the costume. Do you know where might be able to find clothing patterns? Just to get me started of course.
Thanks!

RoseDuelist
01-20-2003, 12:05 PM
For my Riho costume I am just getting dress patterns that resemble her outfits and then alter them a bit to make them work. I'm also looking for a site that will tell you how to make special patterns because I have no idea.. -_-() As I said, we are in the same boat.

Hikaruchan
01-20-2003, 01:23 PM
For Nuriko's traveling outfit, there is a men's civil war uniform pattern that I think could be fairly easy to alter into Nuriko red robe or Tamahome's blue one

PockyDarcy
01-25-2003, 01:28 PM
I think you would feel a lot more accomplished if you did it on your own. To me, I don't care if you aren't artisticly talented, I'd rather see someone's own work than a bought or commissioned costume. It would be a lot cheaper too, if u did it on your own. Have someone help you such as a relative, teacher or friend. The more experience you get, the better you are. It is great to see people's progression at conventions too. Please make the right choice and don't commision your costume to a proffesional. They don't care about your happiness, they only want money

AnimeParty
01-25-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Setsuna22
I think this time I'll go ahead and buy the costume! It's actually, I think, Nuriko's Traveling outfit! It's red with blue around the edges! I'd crossplay to be in one of his more fanciful outfits, but my parents arent to keen on that idea ^^*. Next time, though, I think I'll at least try and make the costume. Do you know where might be able to find clothing patterns? Just to get me started of course.
Thanks!

Ur really gonna pay that much for that costume...wow...I have a few names who may be able to make it for less. PM me and I'll give them to you.