PDA

View Full Version : Detachable Weapons

Yeu
06-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Hi Everyone~

Even though A-kon 17 is almost a year away, I'm working on my cosplay for it. One of the cosplays I want to do is Cao Pi of Dynasty Warriors.

But I don't know how to go about with his sword.

Reference pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/Yeu0328/chara_popup_01.jpg

The fact that the double edge sword actually detach at the helt to become two short swords really, really makes things harder.

Any suggestion as what I can do to make the weapon?

P.S. If you have any suggestion as how to do the belt buckle would be great too

astillar
06-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Off the top of my head, the easiest way I can think of to do that detachable bit would be to build the hilts out of a couple pieces of threaded pipe. That way they can screw into each other. Sure, the pipe will be a bit heavy, and they won't attach/detach swiftly, but it'll be sturdy as hell, won't require any reworking on your part, and they make a good base for the hilts. Of course, there's probably better solutions; that was just my knee-jerk answer.

daguru
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Go to the hardware store to find threaded end fittings for PVC pipe. You should be able to find it in the size you need.

Or, you could drill identical holes in the bottoms of the hilts and place a thick dowel (that fits) into one and glue it there.

MercuryD
07-02-2005, 11:57 AM
I haven't played the game, so I don't know how they detach in the game, or what it looks like. The only problem with the threaded PVC pipe would be that the female end is much larger than the male end, so you're have a large bump in the middle of the hilt area. Filling out the hilt on the other sword and the rest of the female-ended sword would solve this, I suppose.
The only problem with this design is that in order to keep the double-ended staff smooth-looking, the separate swords have to have blocky ends, and even though you could fill the male-end sword hilt so it looks less like PVC, the female end would still have to be hollow.
Another method might be to have a piece of PVC pipe that covers both hilts that has the same decoration as the combined ones. Make the hilts slim enough to fit inside this piece, and drill two holes in the sides of the hilts, and corresponding holes in the pipe-hilt, so you can fasten them with a small bolt or something like that from the side. You'd have an extra piece to carry around if you want them separate, but the holts when apart could be solid.

Yeu
07-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Thank you guys for the suggestion, I would have to shop around to see what kind of material I can get my hands on.

Thank you again!

mikazuki
07-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I made a suggestion in this thread (http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=1095565&postcount=4) in regards to buying a cheap lamp at WalMart and using the stand for parts of a staff. I don't see why you can't use two pieces of the same lamp for the hilt.

daguru
07-03-2005, 09:04 PM
woah! just thought of a cheaper idea. Get a long bolt and several nuts that can screw onto it. Put enough nuts on it to cover the entire shaft of the bolt. Drill deep lengthwise holes into staff pieces A and B where they are to connect. The head of the bolt should be glued (or bondo-ed) into the hole of piece A, then the shaft with nuts (I'm giggling while typing this) is glued into hole B.

If you worked this out right, the nuts will be attached to the inside of one staff piece while the bolt head is attached to the end of the other piece. This should be able to screw and unscrew with ease. Though, you might want to leave some length of the shaft glued in with side A for added strength.

Midnight
07-15-2005, 12:53 AM
This is just a random crazy idea:
Make the swords separately, and then get two super-strong ultra-magnetized magnets to stick on or embed in each end. =P

MercuryD
07-17-2005, 02:07 AM
Make the swords separately, and then get two super-strong ultra-magnetized magnets to stick on or embed in each end. =P
Wow, that's a neat idea. Though it could be hard getting magnets strong enough to keep them together.

mikazuki
07-17-2005, 02:26 AM

You might that magents that are that strong is VERY VERY bad thing to have around the house AND depending on how you travel, may not be allowed on a plane.