PDA

View Full Version : Sakura from Naruto! :O

SashiMizumoto
07-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Like I said in my introduction, I am TOTALLY new at this. So, if this seems stupid, humor me. XD;

I'm trying to make a Sakura costume from the popular anime Naruto! And I have the shoes and the headband. Problem is, I don't know how to make pants. XD; I have all the materials and everything, but I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers? :O Cause, that would be very helpful. ^^

LousyItachi
07-01-2005, 08:16 PM
For her pants? You could probably get away with long black bike shorts, y'know.

Kiniro Hoshi
07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
If you're totally new to this, I wouldn't make pants. I would do your best to buy a pair that's similar to her's.

sakuralyuy
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I agree it would be best to buy biking shorts. I just cospalyed as Sakura, I went to Sports Authority and bought a pair of biking shorts. They were a bit on the expensive side but if you look around I'm sure you can find a pair that isn't too bad. Unless you're doing Sakura from the manga...then thatís a tad bit different...but the shorts are a good way to go.

Gii
07-01-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=&catid=1708&superstyleID=175048&productindex=6&firstpagetypeid=&pageindex=0

Boing-o. Cheap and fabulous.

P.S. This could just be me, but why would you have the materials to something you didn't know how to make...?

Uchihaheir
07-02-2005, 07:12 AM
My sister did Sakura .... again as eveyone has said she used bike shorts. You can get a cheap pair aat Walmart or someplace like that.

majekili
07-02-2005, 10:18 AM
One of my friends did Sakura. Believe me, the shorts will be the least of your problems. I think bike shorts are actually basically what she's wearing, anyway.

Sakuralov
07-03-2005, 10:24 PM
My sister did Sakura .... again as eveyone has said she used bike shorts. You can get a cheap pair aat Walmart or someplace like that.
my sis is way ahead of me on this but that is what i used and it does not not look that bad

SashiMizumoto
07-05-2005, 03:12 PM
I know everyone says to buy the shorts, but, but, shouldn't you make everything by hand? :O If I buy everything, I'll feel like I'm cheating. XD;

Raouken
07-05-2005, 03:34 PM
*laughs* I also tend to feel like that..but really, sometimes there's something that looks just like it, and probably better than you could do if this is your first time(no offence, pants are just hard..)and you could spend the time and money you have left on the dress and other things ^_^ But, if you want to learn how to sew pants, you could always try to make them. It's your choice if you want the hard or the easy way :) But buying things isn't cheating, a lot of people do it..

Scruffy Rebel
07-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Costuming is as much about making the peices of a costume as it is knowing where to find pieces that you can just buy - at least that's what my theatrical costuming professor tells me ^^

In cosplaying the focus seems to be more on making the costume as opposed to just buying a complete one from someone. But buying just one already made peice of your costume is perfectly fine and quite normal.

I researched and bought all the materials for my Sakura costume except the biker shorts, cause I already had them and it's what looks like her shorts the most...and as you can see it's what a lot of others have done.

I'd say to not get freaked out too much about making sure that every part of your costume is made by hand. Otherwise you'll get overly stressed and stop having fun.

I'm going to need Geta sandals for a cosplay I'm working on...and I'm not about to go MAKE them, that's silly (at least to me, not to offend anyone ^^').

But if you reeeeally want to make the shorts, it's not hard. Just go to JoAnns or something and buy a pattern for biker shorts.

~Oracle

Jeg
07-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Its no so much if you make it or not that make you a cosplayer. If you want to get technichal what makes you a cosplayer is the actual dressing up as a character and then taking on the personality. Now that said I am of the beleaf that you should put something into what you where rather then just money. Myself for example can't sow to save my life. Thus i had to contract out inorder to get mine done. Now if I actually thought about starting my costume earlier rather then waiting 2 1/2 - 3 months before the convention I probbly would have attempted to make it myself. But lack of time kept me from that. I am however already starting on next years set of costumes.

So don't feel bad if you have to pay for a part or 2. It the thought and the overall effort you put into it that makes the costume. ((And to all those who read this Gomen I will be sure to have something to show for it at the next convention i goto after Otakon '05.))

Parasaurolophus
07-05-2005, 04:10 PM
I know everyone says to buy the shorts, but, but, shouldn't you make everything by hand? :O If I buy everything, I'll feel like I'm cheating. XD;

Generally, hand-make their costumes b/c it is virtually impossible to find a specific article of clothing. But buying a piece here and there isn't cheating. Now, if the only pair of bike shorts you could find were neon green with purple sparkles, then you would want to make them. But why reinvent the wheel?

Of course if you're masochistic like me, you can try to make opera gloves from scratch instead of shelling out $10 for them. (pattern pieces are at bottom of cosplay box) :waaaah:

LousyItachi
07-05-2005, 04:18 PM
I don't see what's wrong with buying things here and there. Hell, why should I bother making a black overcoat and a white turtleneck sweater for my Hohenheim costume if I can just walk into Walmart or wherever and buy it?