PDA

View Full Version : anime expo's

chibi chii
01-20-2003, 12:59 PM
i am wondering, just since i have never bin to one, how anime expo's work and whether there fun or not well please reply!!:thumbsup:

RoseDuelist
01-20-2003, 01:01 PM
They are fun and I think everyone here would agree. That's why most of us are here.

What you do is you buy your pass then you can participate in sooo many activities like Masquerades, Karoke, Panel discussions, AMV contests, and you can watch movies and meet directors and manga artists sometimes. You also get to go into the exhibit hall and buy a bunch of stuff. ^_^ Yay for shopping!

chibi chii
01-20-2003, 01:04 PM
yay!! that sounds like soo much fun lets see *seaches through wallet hehe! i have to start saving! how much does it generaly cost??
^_^ yay for shopping!!

RoseDuelist
01-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Well, I'm only paying $35 for mine, but I got mine through pre-registration with a group. MAJOR discount. They can cost up to $60 at times, but if you order with a group and ahead of time you'll get it cheaper. If you mention it on the board on this site that you want to do group discount tons of people will join. For AX (California) a bunch of us, almost 30 I think, got together.

Which do you plan on going to?

JoeBoeing
01-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Greetings,

There is a lot to do at AX but quite frankly it's too comercial now and way to crowded. AX is one of those cons where there is always something to do and sometimes you can't decide which you want to go to.

I've been going to AX since 1995 and really haven't had fun (like I used to going to it) from 1998 - 2001. I missed 2002 because I couldn't take anymore of the hassle of the large crowds and extreemly long lines and the way they work the autographs sessions.

I'm only going back this year for two reasons:

1. To meet acouple friends from online I've yet to meet in person.
2. No Tatsugawa as head

It's a good con in that you will always have things to do, a good masquerade and a great dealers room but you have to put up with the over crowding and ridiculislym long lines.

FRom,
Joe

Lynzie
01-20-2003, 01:49 PM
I went to Anime Expo for the first time in 2002, and I had an absolute blast; and the best thing is, I really didn't do anything. I just hung out with my friends in costume, had my picture taken a zillion times, and played games in the arcade the whole time. :x

I'm not sure if you mean JUST Anime Expo, or if you mean all cons in general, but I've had a wonderful time at every convention I've gone to. ^_^

Kenshin Ken
01-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by JoeBoeing
Greetings,

There is a lot to do at AX but quite frankly it's too comercial now and way to crowded. AX is one of those cons where there is always something to do and sometimes you can't decide which you want to go to.

I've been going to AX since 1995 and really haven't had fun (like I used to going to it) from 1998 - 2001. I missed 2002 because I couldn't take anymore of the hassle of the large crowds and extreemly long lines and the way they work the autographs sessions.

I'm only going back this year for two reasons:

2. No Tatsugawa as head

It's a good con in that you will always have things to do, a good masquerade and a great dealers room but you have to put up with the over crowding and ridiculislym long lines.

FRom,
Joe

O_O No Mikey as the head? HORRAY!! ^_^ I've heard alotta things about the dude..^^;; hope this year will be better than last year ^_^.

Mink
01-20-2003, 02:18 PM
Personally I liked Anime Expo...but only because there are other cons like Ani-Magic or Japan Expo that are less crouded. Its nice once a year to be surrounded by thousands of anime fans and cosplayers....but really I could only handel that once a year.

Hey has anyone begun on anime expo stuff yet? Like Im feeling really dumb because Im having my best friend come over today and work on costumes for it.....I dont know!

RoseDuelist
01-20-2003, 02:24 PM
I'm working on Costumes today too!!! Coolness....

Anyway, sorry it got too popular. That just means its a good event. I went for the first time last year and had more fun than I have ever had. I got to meet the director of my favorite anime (Kunihiko Ikuhara). I was second row at the panel meeting.

But yeah, you find yourself wandering around not being able to decide what to do. What some people do is just live in the movie rooms all four days. That's an option for some... I'd go nuts O.o

ling_xiaoyu2002
01-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Anime Expo is a really cool expo...besides Japan Expo...but that's just me speaking...but seriously do go! Trust me you'll have a great time!! I did and I've been going ever since 2000. I wanna meet more people from the board too so I gotta go! I am also making costumes. It's just a whole mess of fun....*is excited about it* well byeee...for now....

JoeBoeing
01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Greetings,

Yep! Mike stepped down as head and that is a big reason why I'm comming.

I haven't started my costumes just yet for AX as I've lost 5 pounds in the last 2 weeks thanks to my PE classes. I'm going to make them about a month or so before AX so they look right on me without being to baggy if I lose more weight.

From,
Joe

JoeBoeing
01-20-2003, 02:36 PM
RoseDuelist - I know you will be jelous but I chatted with Ikuahra-san for like 30 min just him and I at Fanime because only 4 people showed up for the autograph session. I didn't have anything for him to sign since I don't care for Utena but we did talk about Sailor Moon and what he thought of his American fans and people dressing up as his characters.

Very cool guy!

I'm sure that he will be back at AX this year.

That's another thing I hate about AX... you really have no access to the GoHs (meet the guests reception is an exception to the rule and panels... for the most part)... even when I was a volunteer for AX 97 I didn't get to meet any of them and I despretly wanted to meet Chisa Yokoyama.

FRom,
Joe

Celine
01-20-2003, 02:37 PM
If you like big conventions, large crowds, and knowing that despite having four days, you won't have a chance to see everything you want... then it's great! Personally, AX is my favorite, and I've been there twice. I love the way it's so huge that it completely takes over. You can never get bored! It also has the nicest masquerade I've ever seen. But if crowds and lines aren't your thing, you might want to try a smaller convention.

RoseDuelist
01-20-2003, 02:37 PM
Wow, I never thought about that. My body could change looks dramatically in 7 months. O.o Oh my.. I guess I just have to keep up my eating habits then (harder than it sounds).

Morrissey
01-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Joe Boeing wrote:

2. No Tatsugawa as head

Uh, Mike Tatsugawa started the whole thing. I've been on staff and personally worked with the guy. He's a true professional. To bad mouth him with no proof is unacceptable.

videogirlc
01-20-2003, 07:59 PM
I went to Ax for the first time last year, all I gotta say it's really big. So much to do and you can't do everything. Personally I prefer the smaller ones, but I still plan to go this year.

JoeBoeing
01-20-2003, 08:52 PM
Greetings,

Morrissey - When I volunteered he was quite rude to me and he creeps out a few female anime fans that I know... I don't like 1 sided arguements where you don't hear the other side and it's in the past.

I'm willing to give AX another shot and I'm not holding the things that happened when AX was at Disneyland but I will say that the last 4 AX's I've been to I felt like I got screwed in my fun.

I didn't bash Mr. Tatsugawa... all I said is that I'm glad he stepped down as head.

FRom,
Joe

XLainoftheWired
01-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Well I have never been to an expo as large at AX yet, would like to try, but I went to JACON 2001 and 2002. I like the size and there are many activities, some i have to miss for others, but the main reason I started was to see the AMVs and cosplayers, and then dream of the one day, I would be cool enough to hop into the skin of an anime character and strut my stuff. That day has not yet come, but JACON2003- WATCH OUT!... JACON is usually $40 for the weekend

Morrissey
01-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Kind of funny since Mike Tatsugawa hasn't been in charge of the past 2 expos. You're entitled to your opinion but your reasons seem lacking.

JoeBoeing
01-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Greetings,

I didn't make it last year because I had enough of AX but like I said, I'm only comming this year to meet friends but after this year I probibaly won't go back.

I've been to AX from 95-01 (was there for 8 hours in 94 so I don't count that as a full con) and quite frankly there are other cons like Ani-Magic that are more fan friendly and more layedback.

I went to Ani-Magic last year and had more fun then I did at all the AX's combined.

To me a con with under 1,500 - 2,000 people is more to my liking these days. and Ani-Magic had like 500 or so. I just need a change of atmosphere.

I'm sorry if it seemed like I bashed Mr. Tatsugawa... I didn't mean to. I have been enlightened in that he wasn't the head of the last 2 AXs.

Thanks,
Joe

pakachu420
01-21-2003, 12:57 AM
been to the past two AX's they were fun. i dont really know how it compares to other cons as i havnt been to any others(gonna try to make fanime this year though ^_^YEA!!!)

chibi chii
01-24-2003, 06:24 PM
wow! *squels* I realy want to go to a convention! i just made a few costumes! tee hee any thing else cool about cons? what kinda stuff do they sell there!? yay for shopping! tee hee! thank u all for your replies! *shine shine gleem gleem splarkle!

chibi chii
01-24-2003, 06:25 PM
oh yeah and whats the best thing to do at a con>!? i realy want to know ! more more!! * absorbs all knowledge of cons!

chibi chii
01-24-2003, 06:46 PM
anime anmie expo expo!! i hope i get to go and if i do i hope to see some of you guys there!!!

RoseDuelist
01-24-2003, 11:00 PM
I'll see you there. ^_^ It would be nice to meet someone from these boards there. I am planning a meeting place, but I am waiting for them to post the show schedules first.

chibi chii
01-25-2003, 05:03 PM
heheheee hope to see u there too! XP well i just realy want to go! ^_^ it sounds so cool!!

maikaeirn
01-26-2003, 12:08 PM
@_@ What's there not to do at AX? It's the largest con in the US (at least i think that's right. Please correct me if i'm wrong)

Anyways, with panels, masquerades, games, cosplayers, kaerokee, and the general madness that goes on there, you'll be left with more than enough memories.

I do have a few reccomendations though:
1. Food: I suggest that for any con goers, they go and raid Costco or something like that.
2. Utensils: Don't forget the forks, and spoons. Do you know what a pain in the ass it was to have a bowl of cup of noodles with your hands????
3. Dealers Room: If you're lucky enough to be let in, then adhear to my words. If you see something that you really want and have been wanting for awhile, i suggest you get it before it's gone. Sure there's that chance that it'll be there on the last day when there are huge sales for everything, but if you've been pineing for it, GET IT!
4. Hotel rooms. Make sure you know how many people you're goint to be staying with. 7 people and one bathroom IS NOT a good thing. Especially if they all cosplay! O_o

Erm, yea. Oh and try not to survive on just pixie sticks and soda. It can be done, but it's not suggested... ^^;;

Hope to see you there. I promise it'll be something that you'll never forget.

RoseDuelist
01-26-2003, 01:41 PM
It's the second largest behind AXNY. But yes, it is the largest on this coast. Close enough. ^_^

chibi chii
01-26-2003, 02:09 PM
awsome can't wait can't wait! ^_^

Morrissey
01-27-2003, 08:19 AM
AXNY is not bigger than the normal AX. AX last year had over 15,000 attendees. Ax doubles the second biggest con in terms of con goers. Is it better? Depends on the person.

ChibiBlargh
01-31-2003, 12:09 AM
axny was a one time deal from what i heard. no axny this year XD

Rinnie
02-07-2003, 03:25 AM
Eh O_O?

Mike Tatsugawa is a nice person. O_o actually very normal.

Rinnie
02-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Ack...someone mentioned that they "HEARD" a buncha things....

O_O hah....i see..."heard" eh?

Mandy Mitchell
02-18-2003, 02:56 AM
I love Anime Expo! It's my most favorite con in the entire world! I also love Ani-Magic as well! AX2000 is my first anime con, and I've been going to AX every single year ever since. It is a cosplayer's, otaku's, and anime attendee's dream come true. The Anaheim Convention Center is going to be such a great location! (Personally, I'm glad AX returned to Anaheim because the Long Beach Convention Center is too spread out.) The Exhibit Hall is so huge! The costumes are incredible! AX is four days long and is the largest anime convention in North America. Personally, I wouldn't miss AX for anything in the world!