PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions About PMX

Hon Kudasai
07-06-2005, 05:11 PM
I just came back from AX, and it just wasn't enough for me, so I'm considering attending PMX this year, as well. I'd like to find out a few things from people who've gone, before I make my decision. Mainly just the basic stuff like how large is it, what I can expect to see in terms of events, and how much the tickets are. Any other info you'd like to add would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

Evil Bishounen
07-06-2005, 05:26 PM
PMX is only in its second year this year. So, it's not as big as Anime Expo. I'm sure it'll be bigger this year than it was last year though, because last year it fell on the same weekend as Fanime and that drew a LOT of potential attendance away. Still, don't expect 30,000+ attendees.

PMX is only 3 days versus the 4 of AX, but badges are also cheaper. However, some of the bigger concerts do not come covered as part of the badge admission, and you need to buy a separate ticket for them. (This was the case for T.M.Revolution last year.) I don't know if this policy is changing or not.

There are many more concerts than there are at Anime Expo, with less focus on panels and screening rooms. (They do still have them, though. There are screening rooms for anime, and some for Asian cinema.)

The dealer's hall wasn't that big last year, but I personally found it MUCH more satisfying than the hall at Anime Expo. The PMX dealer's hall also had the professional wrestlers doing their thing in the back. XD

If you like diversity, PMX is worth checking out. It's pretty different from Anime Expo. There IS some prominent anime stuff there, but it's definitely not the sole focus of the con. It wasn't a hyper-busy con last year, but I still enjoyed it.

For information, go here: www.pacificmediaexpo.com
There's also a forum linked on their website, where the staffers will answer questions. They're also pretty receptive to attendee input.

Hon Kudasai
07-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Awesome. ^^ How about the cosplay? Is there a high turnout?

Evil Bishounen
07-06-2005, 05:53 PM
There wasn't as much cosplay at PMX last year as there is at AX. Plus, the cosplay tends to be really sharply split between anime and video game people, and all the J-rock and lolitas and original gothic looking stuff. (Along with people who buy stuff at Hot Topic and say they're cosplaying. *cough* :rolleyes: )

There seemed to be a bit more on the goth and J-rock side overall. I myself cosplayed old school SNES (Secret of Mana!!!) with a couple other people, and the cosplay contest was still mostly anime and video game costumes. I saw a small collection of Inu Yasha costumes over the course of the con also, and a few others.

shogun
07-07-2005, 12:13 AM
There wasn't as much cosplay at PMX last year as there is at AX. Plus, the cosplay tends to be really sharply split between anime and video game people, and all the J-rock and lolitas and original gothic looking stuff. (Along with people who buy stuff at Hot Topic and say they're cosplaying. *cough* :rolleyes: )

There seemed to be a bit more on the goth and J-rock side overall. I myself cosplayed old school SNES (Secret of Mana!!!) with a couple other people, and the cosplay contest was still mostly anime and video game costumes. I saw a small collection of Inu Yasha costumes over the course of the con also, and a few others.

I think the % is roughly the same, but the number of attendees is way lower, so you don't get the critical mass as often. However, there is really only one gathering spot for cosplayers, so I imagine they won't be as spread out this year.

The paneling is shifting a lot this year. I'd really like to do some more creative events and interactive paneling. In my opinion, anime rooms are fairly passe. Most fans download or rent what they want to watch. My goal for the anime video room is not to show anything commercially available.

We're planning a fairly huge EGL event this year since we saw there was so much participation last year. It should be announced in about two weeks.

Finally, we hope that the cash prizes for the CosFest will kick up the competition a notch. We won't be offering free trips to Japan, but diehard fans can buy more cloth and materials with their prizes.

Mike

Evil Bishounen
07-07-2005, 12:22 AM
The paneling is shifting a lot this year. I'd really like to do some more creative events and interactive paneling. In my opinion, anime rooms are fairly passe. Most fans download or rent what they want to watch. My goal for the anime video room is not to show anything commercially available.

That's really cool to hear. I haven't stepped into a convention screening room since 2000. :thumbsup:

RandomSchoolBoy
07-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Yea I remember Last Years PMX in May... Though I only went for one day, TM Revolution and Nami Tamaki Concert ^^ I like PMX more than AX because its more asain pop culture than anime

Rogue Marvel
07-09-2005, 04:51 PM
The cash prizes should make the cosfest big...I don't think the prize was well advertised last year and the fact that it conflicted with fanime didn't help either...I expect it to have a big turn out this year

shogun
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Right now, we're making banners promoting the prizes using some of the winners from last year. I'm hoping to get them up soon.

Mike

Claire
07-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I think the advertisement department for PMX might need to pick it up a bit. I'm so used to all my con-going friends knowing about everything before me, I didn't even think about spreading the word - but when I got back, I kept getting the reaction of, "You were WHERE? TMR WAS THERE?? I would have gone if I'd KNOWN!" ... from people inside and outside of California.

I was on masquerade staff (didn't really do much, but, I tried), and was really impressed with the masq overall. I've seen a lot of them, and rarely do you get such a high number of really GOOD skits, but the entire show was just great. I think the cash prizes, like others have said, really helped bring out the serious competators. It was just unfortunate that the Psycho Le Cemu concert was going on at the same time, and so several people dropped out to go watch them instead.

dianannsano
07-10-2005, 10:23 PM
PMX is my favorite convention so far.
No lines, more freedom, more events to look forward to, kick-arse guests of honor...the atmosphere was so much more... fun.

shogun
07-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Last year, we had ads in every magazine, including Animerica, Sushi & Tofu, Newtype and LA Weekly. Every AX attendee got a flier. We went to every convention to do a promotion. We even took out TV ads on the Cartoon Network. I think in the end, word of mouth is the best way to get things out. That's why we're focusing on making so many different banners this year.

BTW, are you on the PMX forums for the discussion on the EGL event? If this is the same Clair I'm thinking of, we'd really like to have you involved in the planning.

Mike

I think the advertisement department for PMX might need to pick it up a bit. I'm so used to all my con-going friends knowing about everything before me, I didn't even think about spreading the word - but when I got back, I kept getting the reaction of, "You were WHERE? TMR WAS THERE?? I would have gone if I'd KNOWN!" ... from people inside and outside of California.

I was on masquerade staff (didn't really do much, but, I tried), and was really impressed with the masq overall. I've seen a lot of them, and rarely do you get such a high number of really GOOD skits, but the entire show was just great. I think the cash prizes, like others have said, really helped bring out the serious competators. It was just unfortunate that the Psycho Le Cemu concert was going on at the same time, and so several people dropped out to go watch them instead.

L to the 3rd
07-12-2005, 03:28 AM
Looking foward to PMX this year. WE still got time to work on costumes. whoo hooo.

Freight
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Y'know, I think the Hyatt and surrounding area is good for cosplay. The lobby is nice, and the staff was very kind during the overload from AX '02. There's also the nice open space in front of the LBCC / across from the upper Hyatt lobby level, and the ponds and bridges around the side of the Hyatt.

Not to mention the great shallow fountain in front of the theater. It's just a matter of cosplayers being willing to walk a bit to get to the great locations.

shogun
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I was thinking that the Rainbow Lagoon would be perfect for cosplay gatherings, but cosplayers tend to prefer to gather in the most congested areas...

Mike

hoshikage
07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
I was thinking that the Rainbow Lagoon would be perfect for cosplay gatherings, but cosplayers tend to prefer to gather in the most congested areas...

Actually, though I love the Rainbow Lagoon, I had a couple of problems with it the last time I tried to do cosplay photos there. ^^;

#1 - I overheat very easily. When faced with a choice between an air-conditioned hotel lobby and a sunny outdoor location, well, it's a pretty clear choice. ^^;

#2 - The grass was somewhat overwatered when I was there last, and my friend and I ended up with somewhat muddy and grass-stained boots. Which isn't so bad with normal footwear, but when one has been slaving over bootcovers, well...

Not saying the Rainbow Lagoon isn't a lovely place for gatherings, because it is... I'm just not sure that it's really an issue of gravitating toward the most congested places. Besides, you know how it is; you get out of an elevator, someone wants a picture, you see someone else from the same series, and before you know it there's a crowd...

I am really looking forward to PMX this year though. Now I gotta go work on my costume some more. ^_^

Claire
07-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Actually, though I love the Rainbow Lagoon, I had a couple of problems with it the last time I tried to do cosplay photos there. ^^;

#1 - I overheat very easily. When faced with a choice between an air-conditioned hotel lobby and a sunny outdoor location, well, it's a pretty clear choice. ^^;

#2 - The grass was somewhat overwatered when I was there last, and my friend and I ended up with somewhat muddy and grass-stained boots. Which isn't so bad with normal footwear, but when one has been slaving over bootcovers, well...

Not saying the Rainbow Lagoon isn't a lovely place for gatherings, because it is... I'm just not sure that it's really an issue of gravitating toward the most congested places. Besides, you know how it is; you get out of an elevator, someone wants a picture, you see someone else from the same series, and before you know it there's a crowd...

I am really looking forward to PMX this year though. Now I gotta go work on my costume some more. ^_^

Super No 1 took a whole lot of pictures of the area (I hope he doesn't mind me linking this)

http://www.super-no1.com/longbeachcc/

I hope the lagoons can be used more. September by the ocean is going to be a lot cooler (temperature wise) than July, so hopefully it'll be nicer out.

I doubt I'll have time to cosplay this year, but you never know! I definately want to see everyone's costumes. ^_^

xmissxhellx
07-28-2005, 12:08 AM
wow!! seems like so much fun!! and the locations are beautiful! most excellent for pictures! ^-^

well i've only been to one con before and well, it just doesnt satisfy my need to cosplay!! hehe! so i plan [if i can get a ride!] to go to PMX! [whats it like there?]

i was just wondering though, should i wear my summoner yuna costume again or should i make a new costume from scratch?

i mean, i've got plenty of time and all! please help!! its either between...

1)summoner yuna
2)female ed elric [ill be replacing the pants with a skirt... i hope this hasnt been done yet! ^^;;]
2)ffx rikku
3)gunner yuna

[so sorrie to be a lil off topic like this but it seemed like everyone was just askin their questions and i just had to know what people thought i should do! ^-^]

Shun
07-28-2005, 12:45 AM
i think we should all convince shogun to use his amazing ability to network to get us even more amazing acts for pmx ^^ everyone on the music staff really seems to be working hard this year to bring us a lot of live entertainment :-) Go TEAM! by chance...just by chance...might there be some kind of big secret as far as musical acts go? cmon mike...just between us ^_^

RandomSchoolBoy
07-28-2005, 06:53 AM
wow!! seems like so much fun!! and the locations are beautiful! most excellent for pictures! ^-^

well i've only been to one con before and well, it just doesnt satisfy my need to cosplay!! hehe! so i plan [if i can get a ride!] to go to PMX! [whats it like there?]

i was just wondering though, should i wear my summoner yuna costume again or should i make a new costume from scratch?

i mean, i've got plenty of time and all! please help!! its either between...

1)summoner yuna
2)female ed elric [ill be replacing the pants with a skirt... i hope this hasnt been done yet! ^^;;]
2)ffx rikku
3)gunner yuna

[so sorrie to be a lil off topic like this but it seemed like everyone was just askin their questions and i just had to know what people thought i should do! ^-^]

You could make a Gunner Yuna and wear that one day, and then fix your hair a bit and wear your Summoner Yuna the next. Though I dont think people cosplay Summoner Yuna enough anymore (did all of them retire?) so my vote is that

xmissxhellx
07-28-2005, 09:02 AM
RandomSchoolBoy- thanks so much for your vote!! ^-^
*sniff* but i can only go one day...
that's why this is such a hard decision for me!
so thats one for gunner yuna...? or was that for summoner yuna?

shogun
07-28-2005, 09:19 AM
I think there is a chance that there will be some surprise non-performing musical guests, but other than that, we will be wrapping up the main acts this week.

The BIG surprise might have to be rescheduled until next year, but Avex will definitely have a big announcement for Jrock fans.

mike

Shun
07-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I think there is a chance that there will be some surprise non-performing musical guests, but other than that, we will be wrapping up the main acts this week.

The BIG surprise might have to be rescheduled until next year, but Avex will definitely have a big announcement for Jrock fans.

mike

Mike...you made my day...thank you soooooooo much ^_^

Shun
07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
RandomSchoolBoy- thanks so much for your vote!! ^-^
*sniff* but i can only go one day...
that's why this is such a hard decision for me!
so thats one for gunner yuna...? or was that for summoner yuna?

I believe it was for summoner yuna hehe. I second that, though I'm not a big fan of yuna (ex gf loves her) but hey i wish you all the luck on yours :)

RandomSchoolBoy
07-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Avex will definitely have a big announcement for Jrock fans.

mike

Are you serious :heart: AVEX?? Im definetly coming back next year!! You guys totally rawk!!!

*Crosses Fingers* [Though Jrock might not exactly mean Do As Infinity, its still the more possiblity]

pss, Mr. Mike, Get Do As Infinity!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v167/Takanayagi/Gifs/bowdown.gif

lol

@xmissxhellx: Ahh one day? Thats too bad cause PMX is [going to be] one of the best. Well if its one day then, yeah I'd say summoner Yuna. It might be cold to wear Gunner Yuna or Theif Rikku near the beach area in september ^^;

xmissxhellx
07-28-2005, 02:53 PM
ah yes... weather... i hadnt thought of that! ^^;;

well thanks for the help everyone!! ^-^

Jrock_lover
07-28-2005, 05:24 PM
yay\^.^/..Avex will announce something big for Jrock fans..I wonder what it is..*thinks*..oh well I'll just have to wait^.^

Shun
07-28-2005, 05:41 PM
yay\^.^/..Avex will announce something big for Jrock fans..I wonder what it is..*thinks*..oh well I'll just have to wait^.^

I miss T.M.R. Granted he's not Avex, but that little man is an amazing performer. I miss PLC too and i can't help but wonder if they'd have been back if Daishi didn't run into problems...Why couldn't Phantasmagoria hang around for a little while longer? They looked like they can put on a great show.

cynicallywired
08-01-2005, 03:46 PM
I actually LOVED PMX last year. It was the best con I ever went to (I guess it's not much to say since I've been to AX since 2002 and Fanime once). The atmosphere is just so great. Since it's smaller than AX, you don't get a lot of jerks and well... lines. I don't know what else to say. The con is just more kickback and the guests of honor were just so awesome last year. I mean come on... TMR and Moriyama? My friends are I are actually ecstatic about goin' again this year since Moriyama's coming again. He's just too cool... I mean sure, he was a bit shy at the panel but yah, we're basically lookin' forward to seein' him again. :heart:

kabuki_KILLER
08-03-2005, 12:03 PM
I have a question. Do any of the booths at PMX accept plastic money, or is it all cash?

radical_akira
08-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Um they said that they would allow cosplayers who are characters that are from Asia right? I would just like to make sure if they would allow William Birkin of RE2?

cause in the rules it said:
All costumes must be based on Asian film, such as characters from Battle Royale (Japan) or Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (China), Asian animation, such as the Japanese animation Yu-Gi-Oh or the Korean animation Wonderful Days, Asian comics, such as the Japanese Card Captor Sakura, Korean I.N.V.U, or Chinese Story of the Tao, Asian-origin video game, such as Final Fantasy or Ragnarok Online, or Asian music stars (such as Malice Mizer or Morning Musume). The rule of thumb is: if the series and/or character originated anywhere else than the Pacific, it doesn't qualify. If you aren't sure, ask.

so I was wondering, that means that allow William Birkin of Resident Evil 2, right? Also, I'm joining in but it seems a group is needed to enter. Can't I join solo?

I just want to make sure. he he
'cause I already asked them and they still have not yet replyed. I hope to hear from you all soon. thanks! ^_^;

Evil Bishounen
08-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Um they said that they would allow cosplayers who are characters that are from Asia right? I would just like to make sure if they would allow William Birkin of RE2?

By "they", do you mean the CosFest cosplay competition? Or are you referring to cosplaying at PMX in general?

If you're referring to just cosplaying at the con, anything goes. There are no rules dictating what you can and cannot cosplay.

That rule only applies if you're wanting to enter PMX's masquerade, CosFest. And if you are wanting to enter, yes, William Birkin would be perfectly fine, considering that the Resident Evil game series originated from Japan. :square: (It's called Biohazard there, I believe.)

Also, it's perfectly fine to cosplay alone. Even if you are entering CosFest, being in a group is optional. (If you're registering for the cosplay competition, for your entry/"group" name you can just give an alias, or your character name, or your real name, or even your cosplay.com username. Or you can make up something totally different.)

shogun
08-04-2005, 04:16 AM
I think there is also an option to do a walk-on piece.

Mike

radical_akira
08-05-2005, 04:10 AM
By "they", do you mean the CosFest cosplay competition? Or are you referring to cosplaying at PMX in general?

If you're referring to just cosplaying at the con, anything goes. There are no rules dictating what you can and cannot cosplay.

I'm sorry for not being specific, I meant the CosFest itself. I'm only attending Sept.4 and I would love to join that contest. Also, it seems there is another registration that is for the CosFest only, which means pre-registering for the PMX con itself does nto yet include this. So that means, if I register early that would just make me spot if they approve that is. Though taking that spot alone would let the others slots in my group registration a waste? dang!

dst
08-07-2005, 02:12 AM
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask this so

How is the parking at PMX? Is it similar to AX with daily parking at local hotels?

shogun
08-07-2005, 04:00 AM
Well, on Sunday you might get lucky with the meters. I think the Pike might have cheaper parking than the hotels, but I will need to doublecheck.

Mike

dst
08-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, on Sunday you might get lucky with the meters. I think the Pike might have cheaper parking than the hotels,
Mike
The 'Pike' is walking distance to the convention center? I dont see it on google maps but i do see a parking lot East of the CC.
So, there are hotels around the convention center that have public parking? Do they fill up quickly?
Thanks ^_^
-dst

shogun
08-09-2005, 06:56 PM
The giant parking lot across from the LBCC got converted into a giant mall by the people who own the Block in Orange. They have a huge parking garage there.

Mike

Super No 1
08-22-2005, 01:47 AM
I was at The Pike yesterday because I had the urge for some Gameworks action and some Cold Stone. I looked at some of the parking options while I was there.

Parking information:

Convention Center Lots:
$8.00

Hyatt Parking Lot:
$1 each 30 minutes
maximum $15

Renaissance Parking Lot:
$2 each 30 minutes
maximum $11

Public lots on Seaside Way:
$5.00 for 10 hours
I'm not exactly sure how these lots work after 5PM. It says $5 for 10 hours and also $5 flat rate after 5PM. These lots do not have attendants. You put money into a metal box. People periodically check them and they will give you a ticket if you do not pay. I've seen them do it.

The Pike:
$1.50 each 30 minutes
maximum $12

Parking meters (downtown):
5 cents for 3 minutes
2 hour limit

Parking meters (The Pike)
50 cents for 15 minutes
2 hour limit

Squall
08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info Super!

dst
08-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Thanks SuperNo1. This type of information should be on the PMX site.

Does this map and prices look correct? Where is the Pike parking garage?
-dust
http://www.hemineko.net/images/misc/ParkingPMX.jpg

Super No 1
08-23-2005, 01:07 AM
The Pike parking structure looks like the building to the left of the "$12". The building to the south is also a Pike parking structure, but I don't know if anybody would want to use that one.

Also, there are 3 convention center lots. There is another one on the west side, underneath the convention center. The entrance is near Pine and Bay St. This is the closest convention center lot, but also the smallest. There is also another convention center lot underneath the fountain area north of the Terrace Theater. The parking lot on the east side is the largest, but it's a long walk around to get to the Hyatt or Convention Center, especially if the pass through the arena is closed.