PDA

View Full Version : Dead Or Alive: Beach Volleyball


John Booty
01-21-2003, 01:31 PM
There's no way this game will be better than Beach Spikers.

If you really want to see some jiggle, play Beach Spikers and then download some porn. ^_^

Having said that, though, I'm still looking forward to playing this DOA volleyball game!

Celine
01-21-2003, 01:37 PM
It will so be better than Beach Spikers. :P I have faith in Tecmo and the DoA license! Everything that I have seen and read has been very positive about the game for being fantastic eye candy as well as a good *game* on top of that! Sure, we all know that the eye candy is going to be the main selling point, but it'll be disappointing if that's all there is to it! I can't wait to play it.

John Booty
01-21-2003, 01:40 PM
SEGA RULEZZZZZ!!11111

psythe
01-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Its Team Ninja, no worries. :bigtu:

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 01:44 PM
I'll get that game ASAP. Besides, my gf loves the swimsuits. =D

That's one excuse for me to get the game. >=D

Cassandra
01-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Well, supposedly it's only a two player game....as opposed to Beack Spikers 4-players. But you can "woo" your teammate into liking you....

It kinda sounds like some sort of lesbian tournament to see who can get the most sweet lovin out of their partners ;)

John Booty
01-21-2003, 01:48 PM
Well, since the Dead Or Alive fighting games bore me to tears, DOA Volleyball gets no instant props from me!

To me the only good thing about the DOA fighting games is the environments. And the jiggle, which gets old after 3 or 4 minutes. ^_^

And if DOA volleyball is indeed only 2 players instead of 4 like Beach Spikers, it automatically fails in comparison. 4-Player Beach Spikers = TEH WIN.

Wake me up when Namco makes Soul Calibur Beach Volleyball!

Celine
01-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Don't you SEGA RULEZZ at me, Booty! You know that I'm not trying to betray the best company of all time. It's just that the DoA girls are far, far prettier than anybody in Beach Spikers. And they have dedicated fan followings. ^_^

John Booty
01-21-2003, 01:51 PM
Oh, they're way hotter! I'll look at the DOA Volleyball calendar I bought for my girlfriend when I play Beach Spikers then. I wonder if she's hung it up yet? ^_^

Celine
01-21-2003, 01:53 PM
You somehow neglected to metion that DoA is Xtreme! Heh heh heh. It's not just volleyball, it's XTREME volleyball!

Rey-Rey
01-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Yes, I wanted to get the game for its technically deep game of extreme beach volleyball. Gotta know how hard they spike the ball, how high they serve it, and where they position the whole time. >=D

John Booty
01-21-2003, 01:56 PM
Hahaha, Celine! I love the gratiutous use of the word "extreme" or "XTREME" in marketing!

Today I'm wearing "RIGHT GUARD XTREME" deodorant. If my pits are so smelly that some XTREME deodorant doesn't work, I've got a real problem, huh? ^^;;

I think the real reason I'm not excited about this game is because I'm apparently the only guy in the world who doesn't like lesbians. I just can't get into them. FRANKLY, IT'S A PARTY I'M NOT INVITED TO!

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Celine
It will so be better than Beach Spikers. :P I have faith in Tecmo and the DoA license! Everything that I have seen and read has been very positive about the game for being fantastic eye candy as well as a good *game* on top of that! Sure, we all know that the eye candy is going to be the main selling point, but it'll be disappointing if that's all there is to it! I can't wait to play it.

Except for one thing...no four player. UGH team Ninja :(

John Booty
01-21-2003, 03:33 PM
I don't see how the concept of four-player FAILED TO APPEAR to Team Ninja.

Let's see... four-player sport... a console with four controller ports... I KNOW, LET'S MAKE A TWO-PLAYER GAME!

ChibiMoFo
01-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Damn it is two player only >_< and even worse its only head to head 2 player...........................Oh wellz

John Booty
01-21-2003, 04:54 PM
I would like to restate my continued disbelief and disappointment at the two-player nature of this game.

My heart is filled with sorrow and regret.

ChibiMoFo
01-22-2003, 03:20 AM
guess they figured you'd only play with yourself :P

ok I'll stop ._.

BannSidhe
01-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
I would like to restate my continued disbelief and disappointment at the two-player nature of this game.

My heart is filled with sorrow and regret.

After playing it for about 5 mins in the store, and reading the book, I can see why they made it 2 players only.

First off, its usually a side view. I think you can pan the camera....but...there are *no* icons to identify people in the game. There is no icons period on the screen. With 4 players, it would get really convuluted quick.

Now, it sounds weird to say there is no icons....but the game itself is very nice looking and doesn't get the cluttered feel some games can get with the icons everywhere. (Icons such as who to pass to, who is who for the pass, who you are, who the opponents are, etc.)

Its the girls, the ball, the net and lots of sand/skin.

That being said, I'd love to kill the marketer for the game.

There are two people I'm told who speak English in the game...one of whom is Zack. Who plays Zack? Dennis Rodman.

To make it worse, after mentioning this fact...they then tell you:

And music by Bob Marley, Christina Aguilera and Reel Big Fish.

Thank god I can mix my own tracks in there, cuz most of the C. A. tracks will probably be changed to Rammstein or the Smash Bros. SMASHING LIVE! soundtrack. :) (or some daft punk)

diqitaldreams
01-22-2003, 04:57 PM
DoA! Wooo! I can't hang afford to hang it up! It's too pretty! Those girls are too freakin' hot to damage! *_*

BannSidhe
01-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by diqitaldreams
DoA! Wooo! I can't hang afford to hang it up! It's too pretty! Those girls are too freakin' hot to damage! *_*

Dont forget...you need an xbox for katsu ;)

diqitaldreams
01-22-2003, 05:19 PM
xD Aaa! Shush you! No tempting the DoA crazed fangirl! >B

BannSidhe
01-23-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
ugh, why are you all avoiding the biggest point in that the game play is horrible compared to Beach Spikers. The game play is about par with Super olley Ball(i think it was called) for the SNES(the one where you can play as female team, male team, or cyborg teams). It's a bad attempt at a dating sim, and nothing more.

It depends on how you view it.

I do find Beach Spikers to be better myself....I love the four player mode, but essentially, they are both about par for how the game works in knocking the ball across the net in 1 player mode. You need to worry about placement, timing, etc. You also need to keep your partner(s) happy with gifts rather than compliements, and by actually not screwing up badly. (Which can be REALLY easy till you learn how to hit the ball properly.)

psythe
01-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
ugh, why are you all avoiding the biggest point in that the game play is horrible compared to Beach Spikers. The game play is about par with Super olley Ball(i think it was called) for the SNES(the one where you can play as female team, male team, or cyborg teams). It's a bad attempt at a dating sim, and nothing more.

for you, perhaps. don't expect everyone to share your opinion though.

BannSidhe
01-23-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
uhm, no...

the volleyball aspect comes no where near as close to beach spikers, even scott/cortana (who is the biggest DoA fan I know) agrees with that.

As the person above you quite obviously states...that's your opinion.

As I played the game my opinion of it went from highly annoyed to intrigued with the volleyball aspect. It does require some skill since the ball and the players aren't pointed out to you at all times. It has its good sides and bad sides, I freely admit that...the biggest bad side being lack of four players....but I'm happy :)

Rey-Rey
01-23-2003, 03:43 PM
I haven't played it but WILL play it this weekend. What I think of it remains to be seen but, overall, if you don't like it... then don't play it. Just don't expect everybody to agree with you.

Just like one likes Tecmo and one likes Sega. ^_^ v

John Booty
01-23-2003, 03:50 PM
I AM SHOCKED! SHOCKED!

Eurobeat King
01-24-2003, 04:04 AM
Here's my thoughts:

The opening intro was nice, since they left the "strawberry scene" with Hitomi and LeiFang in it, and the nude scene with Christie was good but that's all that you're going to see in the game, despite the warning on the back of the box.. =P

I like the Japanese voices (although again, they didn't use Sakura Tange (the voice of Card Captor Sakura) for Kasumi) but don't see WHY they had to use Dennis Rodman's voice for Zack.. just because he LOOKS like him doesn't mean he can voice-act (or just act) like a professional.. :devil:

The game-play should've been better, like 4-on-4, but I only play the x-box with my bro, so 2 on 2 is good enuf for me.

I think the best part is being able to play your own music, so I ripped a lot of my SEB/Initial D songs, and have the game only play those tracks during the matches. :skidude2: Better than the music that's on the game.. =P

Overall, i love the graphics, love the girls & their Japanese voices (hence why i watch anime subtitled) and being able to play your own music is a great plus. Only if you're a DOA fan would I suggest it, though.. it's a good game.

psythe
01-24-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Eurobeat King
I think the best part is being able to play your own music, so I ripped a lot of my SEB/Initial D songs, and have the game only play those tracks during the matches. :skidude2: Better than the music that's on the game.. =P

You said it Euro, the tracks included with the game should be shot out immediately. It was nice of them to not force you to listen to it 24-7. :rolleyes:

BannSidhe
01-24-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by psythe
You said it Euro, the tracks included with the game should be shot out immediately. It was nice of them to not force you to listen to it 24-7. :rolleyes:

I don't necessairly like all the tracks with the game, but they do fit pretty well...and some aren't half bad. (Others are down right catchy...Cass wasn't playing and went to bed singing the one song.)

diqitaldreams
01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Tecmo can do you no wrong. ::nodnod:: DoA is eye-candy, I'll admit that, but it goes beyond that. Seriously, just look at how popular it's becoming. ^_^ I mean, who wouldn't like to see beautiful women on the screen? There's nothing wrong with indulging oneself to a little bit of fun.

BannSidhe
01-24-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by diqitaldreams
Tecmo can do you no wrong.


sure they can....

Hi...I'm an xbox...i've got *4* built-in ports for hot steamy controller action.

:confused:

diqitaldreams
01-24-2003, 01:18 PM
xD Except that.

John Booty
01-24-2003, 02:32 PM
WHATEVER. SEGA 4EVER.

EVERYBODY WHO PLAYS DEAD OR ALIVE SHOULD TOTALLY BE MURDERED IN THE FACE.

diqitaldreams
01-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
WHATEVER. SEGA 4EVER.

EVERYBODY WHO PLAYS DEAD OR ALIVE SHOULD TOTALLY BE MURDERED IN THE FACE.

;_; ... puchuu... you hate me..don't you?! ::crycrycry::

psythe
01-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
WHATEVER. SEGA 4EVER.

EVERYBODY WHO PLAYS DEAD OR ALIVE SHOULD TOTALLY BE MURDERED IN THE FACE.

XD!!!! *dies*

Rey-Rey
01-24-2003, 10:45 PM
Who says I have to PLAY this game? >=D

*watches*

Keurblitz
01-24-2003, 10:50 PM
DOA Beach Volleyball's a pretty fun game. I mean, it's not just a regular volleyball game. They have side mini games in it too. I mean, you can gamble and do this mini jumping through the swimming pool thing too. It's cute.

Sigh... I mean, the only game I really want to play on the X-Box is Jet Set Radio Future. Hm... eh... maybe I can buy the whole system from my brother....

Celine
01-25-2003, 04:13 AM
Keurblitz, you do know that the Xbox now comes with JSRF as a pack-in?? ^_^ It's great... one of the main reason I decided that it was time to get the Xbox. That game is fantastic- though, if you've played Jet Grind Radio on the DC, it isn't all that revolutionary.

And, Booty- you are a looney! XD hehe. Sega 4ever, indeed.

Did anyone else see (more importantly, *read*) the DOAX poster pack-in with the latest issue of EGM? Totally unnecessary, and totally hilarious. XD

Trunks61
01-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Bouncy boobs=NUMBAH one!

BannSidhe
01-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Celine
Keurblitz, you do know that the Xbox now comes with JSRF as a pack-in?? ^_^ It's great... one of the main reason I decided that it was time to get the Xbox. That game is fantastic- though, if you've played Jet Grind Radio on the DC, it isn't all that revolutionary.

And, Booty- you are a looney! XD hehe. Sega 4ever, indeed.

Did anyone else see (more importantly, *read*) the DOAX poster pack-in with the latest issue of EGM? Totally unnecessary, and totally hilarious. XD


I love that pack-in too....I found it for sale in Babbages when I went to pick up a used copy of DOA3. The thing was I didn't realize it was the pack in!

So, I got DOA3 with everything, pristine, 25 bux.

PLus SEGA GT2002 pristine + JSRF for 20 bux more. so, 3 games = 45 bux. Oh yeah.

Rey-Rey
01-26-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm sure everybody else can't wait for the next DOA Dating Sim or Fashion School. Just an excuse to dress Tina up in a police outfit or a schoolgirl outfit. >=D

I think what people have to realize that Tecmo never meant this to be a serious game. If a serious game is what you're looking for, look at Beach Spikers. Or Super Dodge Ball. =O

I mean, come on. Tecmo was thinking FANSERVICE all the way with this one. Their target was the male audience. Or lesbians. =D

Of course, if you were looking for MORE than this in the first place, save $20 and get a Playboy DVD. ^__^ v

BannSidhe
01-26-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
Tecmo was thinking FANSERVICE all the way with this one.


say it aint so! Is that why the girls keep moving around and posing in the most provacative ways possible in the SKIMPIEST items?!? ;)

The only complaint Cass has is that you can't give the girls "tan lines." We tried Tina in 1 pieces, and then into a thong and no lines :(

Rey-Rey
01-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Well, some people are stupid to expect a great volleyball game. Hell, the person behind it claimed that it will have a technically deep game of volleyball. I mean, Tecmo doesn't make bad games at all. Of course, I didn't take that comment seriously but I didn't think there would be SO MANY SUGGESTIVE SCENES in the game. =O The volleyball isn't bad itself but, of course, watching Tina shake her groove thang is probably worth every penny of the game. =D

BannSidhe
01-26-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
Well, some people are stupid to expect a great volleyball game. Hell, the person behind it claimed that it will have a technically deep game of volleyball. I mean, Tecmo doesn't make bad games at all. Of course, I didn't take that comment seriously but I didn't think there would be SO MANY SUGGESTIVE SCENES in the game. =O The volleyball isn't bad itself but, of course, watching Tina shake her groove thang is probably worth every penny of the game. =D

yeah, the further you get in the game, the more challenging and interesting the volleyball becomes...I just find it funny that like EVERYONE loves Tina :)

ChibiMoFo
01-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Tina's my least favorite ._. too barbie for me :P I think the gifts thingy is kinda involved, when tina got both revolvers zack gives here a outfit that holds the guns :O Plus It seems to be difficult to make some girls accept some outfits, I wasted a mil giving leifang the most expensive outfit, just to have her open it and say oh umm.... and throw it away later...

Celine
01-26-2003, 06:58 PM
I like Ayane and Christie the least. ^^ Tina's pretty spiffy and can beat serious ass, but nobody's as cute as Hitomi. And I'm going crazy since I'll be unable to play this game for another week!

...my retard friends rented BMX XXX the other day. That game is... something else. ^^;; I need DoA!

Rey-Rey
01-26-2003, 08:17 PM
Actually, my fave is Kasumi. ^__^ v But I'll take Tina, Hitomi, or Helena. =D

Studmaster
01-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Helena is your Goddess. That is all.

diqitaldreams
01-26-2003, 09:58 PM
Ayane...Leifang...Tina...and Helena...they are goddesses of doom! >D

ChibiMoFo
01-26-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Celine
I like Ayane and Christie the least. ^^ Tina's pretty spiffy and can beat serious ass, but nobody's as cute as Hitomi. And I'm going crazy since I'll be unable to play this game for another week!

Don't like those mean cold hearted assassins eh?

Mine goes Leifang>Ayane=Kasumi>Christie>Hitomi>Helena>Lisa>Tina :P

Erilan
01-26-2003, 11:57 PM
I'll take all of them at once. :bigtu:

Morrissey
01-27-2003, 08:25 AM
I've played the game allot since it came out. The game is good. It's the replay value that makes it. The casino games are actually based on Vegas odds (although the slots are bullshit). The volleyball itself is pretty easy to pick up and quite entertaining. And of course there is the fan service, which kicks ass. No, I'm not some perv that buys porn or hentai, but it is quite cool to watch them jiggle. The game doesn't pretend to be something it isn't. Overall I give the game a 8 out of 10. I'm still playing, and it's not all because of the T&A.

ChibiMoFo
01-27-2003, 09:45 PM
The poker double up is cheating too :O The amount of Aces the computer gets when I'm playing with 10k chips is ridiculous (-_-") They also seem to go up with every double you do, like they get 4 then J then K then A, but usually just A :O

psythe
01-27-2003, 09:51 PM
Ayane and Lei Fang look pretty damn cool ^^v

BannSidhe
01-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by diqitaldreams
Ayane...Leifang...Tina...and Helena...they are goddesses of doom! >D

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze4ksbr/venus.jpg

Rey-Rey
01-27-2003, 11:18 PM
*drowns in puddle of drool*

Celine
01-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Dude, no more pics! You don't want to spoil the entire game for everyone, do you?? The whole point is to unlock all the stuff! ^_^;;

BannSidhe
01-28-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Celine
Dude, no more pics! You don't want to spoil the entire game for everyone, do you?? The whole point is to unlock all the stuff! ^_^;;

well, I didn't put up the videos ;)

I'm sorry....but the poses they go through is MORE than enough reason to unlock them ;)

Studmaster
01-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ChibiMoFo
Don't like those mean cold hearted assassins eh?

Mine goes Leifang>Ayane=Kasumi>Christie>Hitomi>Helena>Lisa>Tina :P

You list is bunk. :p

Here is the real list.

1) Helena
2) Ayane
3) Lei-Fang
4) Kasumi
5) Lisa
6) Tina
7) Christie
8) Hitomi

After watching the commerical....I'm getting a X-Box.

shakeystephens
01-29-2003, 09:41 AM
The whole concept of this game worries me.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
The whole concept of this game worries me.


You must worry too much then.

shakeystephens
01-29-2003, 10:04 AM
Indeed. I just find it a little, you know the expression, in your face.

Maybe some male volleyball players would have helped to take away the image it is gaining, although, I would think that that is the image that Tecmo want the game to have.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
Indeed. I just find it a little, you know the expression, in your face.

Maybe some male volleyball players would have helped to take away the image it is gaining, although, I would think that that is the image that Tecmo want the game to have.

Now its apparant you have no clue what your talking about as well. Tecmo flat out made it for fan service....hence why no guys.

Tecmo's DOA girls have appealed to both male/females and they know this. It *wants* to gain the image its getting. I didn't think it was that hard to understand.

shakeystephens
01-29-2003, 10:27 AM
Precisley, you took the words right out of my mouth. And you think this is a good thing for gaming?

I mean, who needs to design good games, when you can just throw a bunch of half naked sprites onto a screen and get the men rolling in. I remember when all a game needed to be successful was gameplay. Of course things have changed a lot, and I understand that. But I think using sex to sell games, may be just one step too far. Or at least if they do use sex, make sure it appeals to all people.

I also don't appreciate being told I don't know what I'm talking about, I have my own opinions, I don't need you to agree, but I don't need you to shoot them down in flames. I respect that some people want this from gaming. However, I don't see the need when there are many out there who just want good solid playable games.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
Precisley, you took the words right out of my mouth. And you think this is a good thing for gaming?


Who exactly was talking...at any point...about this game being "good for gaming?" Tecmo isn't TRYING to make something good for gaming...they are trying to make something their fans will appreciate. It started as a funny side project originally. Jeez, does EVERYTHING have to be serious? They aren't working on any other "good for gaming" games? What about the game that DOA:X has a trailer for? Ninja Gaiden? What about the videos showing their other games such as DOA and DOA 2 and stuff? There is a lot of stuff you have no clue about in this game...


I mean, who needs to design good games, when you can just throw a bunch of half naked sprites onto a screen and get the men rolling in. I remember when all a game needed to be successful was gameplay. Of course things have changed a lot, and I understand that. But I think using sex to sell games, may be just one step too far. Or at least if they do use sex, make sure it appeals to all people.

And you've not even played it to see *if* it has good gameplay...which it suprisingly does. I've played Volleyball games that have literally lasted over 30 mins to score 7 points. (and in one case, dueces until 10....that lasted almost an hour.)
It gets frantic and fun and you barely notice wtf the girls are even wearing.


I also don't appreciate being told I don't know what I'm talking about, I have my own opinions, I don't need you to agree, but I don't need you to shoot them down in flames. I respect that some people want this from gaming. However, I don't see the need when there are many out there who just want good solid playable games. [/B]

Then I suggest actually playing it before you form opinions on the gameplay based solely on the graphics.

I could make a correlation between what this game does for gaming and porn does for the film industry as well. (Typically, the porn industry pushed the limits for much of movie making and anymore...technology.) You still wouldn't understand that though.

Not every single game that comes out needs to fit into certain molds or needs to try and be the next ground breaking thing.
It just needs to be what a game is: FUN. They have fun with things in a number of ways. If you had played, you'd be surprised.

shakeystephens
01-29-2003, 10:58 AM
I have played. And whilst it's not a bad effort at a volleyball game. I think they could have done better if they had concentrated more on the game itself. They sold themselves short really. Anmd there's no need to get so angry.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
I have played. And whilst it's not a bad effort at a volleyball game. I think they could have done better if they had concentrated more on the game itself. They sold themselves short really. Anmd there's no need to get so angry.

I'm not angry in the least, I just find it funny that someone passed judgement on a game and hasn't really seemed to play it much. :rolleyes:

Honestly, if a game is fun, what exactly makes it bad? Or in your words, not good for the gaming industry?

shakeystephens
01-29-2003, 11:22 AM
I admit, it is a fun game to play. I played it at a mates who imported it for a few hours. but it just doesn't seem to be all it can be. I think if Tecmo had really concentrated on amking it a good game, it could have been so much better. But instead, they adopted the EA style. Just chuck out what most people want, in the quickest fashion. That is what isn't good for the game industry. Games like Madden or NHL Hockey coming out every year and selling. Innovation is dying. And now people are grabbing onto the sex sells notion. Sex is fine in games, I have no quarrels with that. But there should still be game. And after a couple of hours of play, I found myself being sold short in gameplay.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
I admit, it is a fun game to play. I played it at a mates who imported it for a few hours. but it just doesn't seem to be all it can be. I think if Tecmo had really concentrated on amking it a good game, it could have been so much better. But instead, they adopted the EA style. Just chuck out what most people want, in the quickest fashion. That is what isn't good for the game industry. Games like Madden or NHL Hockey coming out every year and selling. Innovation is dying. And now people are grabbing onto the sex sells notion. Sex is fine in games, I have no quarrels with that. But there should still be game. And after a couple of hours of play, I found myself being sold short in gameplay.

Well, I really think your reading way too much into it. Seriously. The game was put out for fan service, and much of the dating parts of the game were made for the japanese. (In case you didn't realize, the japanese people do tend to play "dating sims.")

DOA has almost always had the "sex sells" notion as well. Ever hear of the Age 99 code in DOA2? If not go pick it up and then figure out why you can select your age in DOA:X.

On one hand your saying the game is fun, on the other...your saying that there should be a game. Well...it is or isn't. You can't say both and mean both. (How can it be fun if there is no game?!)

The only real flaw quite a few peope have seen with it is the lack of decent multiplayer. (Aka-4 players.) 2 players isn't even as good as 1 player is because of the lack of getting the girl who is your partner built up etc.

As for the "EA style"...you have no one to blame but gamers themselves. If the games didn't fly off the shelves, then EA would be forced to scale back how they worked. It also really doesn't apply to this game either since, as I said, they originally started the game from joking around. It eventually came to a full fledged game that people wanted to see happen...so it did. They (Tecmo/Team Ninja) has never ever tried to make a "decent" sports game....try playing Tecmobowl just for an example of that.
This time at least they had a concept of the rules and put them into effect ;)

Celine
01-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by shakeystephens
I mean, who needs to design good games, when you can just throw a bunch of half naked sprites onto a screen and get the men rolling in. I remember when all a game needed to be successful was gameplay. Of course things have changed a lot, and I understand that. But I think using sex to sell games, may be just one step too far. Or at least if they do use sex, make sure it appeals to all people.

Lots of genres have this same problem! There are many selling points for games which have nothing to do with gameplay.. if a certain company has a lot of loyalty, or if the game is part of a well-known series, the game will sell, etc.

How exactly would you have a game using sex to sell that would appeal to everyone? ^^ DOAX has male *and* female fans, so it's not really excluding anyone in particular. I don't have a problem with them using the concept for this game and marketing it like they did. It is eye candy, but I've heard it's fun-to-play eye candy (can't judge for myself yet).

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Celine
It is eye candy, but I've heard it's fun-to-play eye candy (can't judge for myself yet).

*taunts Celine with an xbox controller* :crylaugh:

You could always come east and play ;)

Rey-Rey
01-29-2003, 01:05 PM
Yet another gamer who took DOAX way too seriously.

Just pick up the game, relax, and enjoy yourself. But if you want to play a "serious" volleyball game, then go to Beach Spikers.

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey
Yet another gamer who took DOAX way too seriously.

Just pick up the game, relax, and enjoy yourself. But if you want to play a "serious" volleyball game, then go to Beach Spikers.

Just don't do what Booty did if you want to play Spiker's seriously.

(Partner named "Slut" whom he constantly berates.)

Cassandra
01-29-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rey-Rey

Just pick up the game, relax, and enjoy yourself. But if you want to play a "serious" volleyball game, then go to Beach Spikers.

Or you could *gasp* get off your butt and play a real game ;)

John Booty
01-29-2003, 01:32 PM
WORST. THREAD. EVER.


EVERRRRRRRRR.

Rey-Rey
01-29-2003, 01:33 PM
Play a real game.

Yeah.

Like Quest 64. >=D

Woof. >=D

BannSidhe
01-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by John Booty
WORST. THREAD. EVER.


EVERRRRRRRRR.

And who started it...huh?

The Internet
01-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Seriously....

Was I created for THIS?

YOU PEOPLE ARE ARGUING ABOUT A VOLLEYBALL GAME.

*storms off*

L_Bluesummers
01-29-2003, 07:34 PM
the only volleyball game i got hooked on was a gundam volleyball game :D

KaineMaxwell
01-29-2003, 07:35 PM
Gundam volleyball...distubing thought

Ohmi
02-28-2003, 02:04 AM
And in the end... it sucks and is not very playable... next! ^^

Cassandra
02-28-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Ohmi
And in the end... it sucks and is not very playable... next! ^^

*blinks* not very playable? How so?

Ohmi
03-01-2003, 07:26 AM
When I can't see my characters half the time and I'm trying to return the spike that was just hit by the other team.. yeah I'd say that's not very playable! I've missed the ball completely or didn't know one of my girls was jumping to hit the spike numerous times because they weren't on the screen! Not only does the camera hinder gameplay it also makes me woozy after a while watching the ball go back and forth like that.. ugh I have many other complaints about the game but that's the main and really only important one.. if the game is gonna be about VOLLEYBALL then they should try to make the VOLLEYBALL as good as it can be but they seem to have forgotten about that. ^^;

ChibiMoFo
03-01-2003, 08:37 AM
You got it cuz of the EGM april fools joke didn't you :O j/k, but I wonder if ppl got the game now cuz they saw they topless mode joke code hehe.

Cassandra
03-01-2003, 08:52 AM
I dunno. I can play it. It took a little while to get used to the controls, but I find it a lot easier than some other games.

BannSidhe
03-01-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Ohmi
When I can't see my characters half the time and I'm trying to return the spike that was just hit by the other team.. yeah I'd say that's not very playable! I've missed the ball completely or didn't know one of my girls was jumping to hit the spike numerous times because they weren't on the screen! Not only does the camera hinder gameplay it also makes me woozy after a while watching the ball go back and forth like that.. ugh I have many other complaints about the game but that's the main and really only important one.. if the game is gonna be about VOLLEYBALL then they should try to make the VOLLEYBALL as good as it can be but they seem to have forgotten about that. ^^;

How exactly do you have it so that it can't see the girls jumping to spike? Especially since they almost never spike until the ball has been set at least once, usually twice. (You can force a spike after one set though.)

I have NEVER seen the camera leave the ball so much that you can't see the jumps for spikes etc. Many volleyball games are similar in how the camera moves. I've had friends pick up the controls and become pretty familar within 2 rounds of play.

Ohmi
03-02-2003, 04:53 AM
Actually I didn't buy the game which makes me very happy.. I just borrowed it from a friend of mine. And yes I've had times when I can't see the girl who's going to spike.. I forgot exactly the circumstance but it happens trust me... it's not after a set.. it's usually when the other team returns it really weak. I'm just really disappointed in the game.. a lot of things seem to be minimally implimented as if they were rushed for time.. of course the graphics show no indication of that. To its credit.. it was oddly addictive..

BannSidhe
03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by SohmaYuki
ugh, it's nothing more than a fanboy game. Ppl don't buy it for the volleyball at all.


Actually, thats not true at all. I know quite a few people who bought it for the volleyball.


This is what it is. Why not just buy porn instead?

because porn is a lot more revealing, and some guys appreciate looks rather than straight nudity?

Rey-Rey
03-02-2003, 03:03 PM
Ha ha ha. I think some people take this game a little bit too seriously. ^__^ v But, hey, different tastes for different people. ^__^ v

Enjoy it for what it is but if the gameplay blows it for you enough, then avoid it. ^__^ v

artemis316
03-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Rey Squared has a point...alot of ppl I know take this game WAY too seriously. But yeah, it each his or her own opinions on it...it's just a videogame, so whatever...

My take: I admit that I got DOAXBV for the looks, but I've been a fan of the DOA fighting games for the graphics and gameplay. The DOA series have really advanced since the first game on PS1. For the last couple of years, I had always complained that the XBox was a piece of sheet, due to having Bill Gates entering the console wars...however, later on, after seeing all the Sega games on it (Crazy Taxi 3, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon, etc.), I was slowly changing my mind in saying that the XB may not be a bad system after all, 'pecially w/ the internal harddrive in it. Also, when I first saw DOA 3 on the XBox, my jaw just dropped as it was completely cleaner than the DOA2 on PS2...

But, it wasn't until I saw a demo of DOAXBV that convinced me to get the XBox (which I got last Tuesday). Yeah, the girls got my attention, but I actually played a demo of it at Network, which is a small videogame store in Burlingame, CA here in the Bay Area (in which I know a couple of ppl who work there), and was quite surprised that the look and game control for it was very cool. I have a few VB games, ranging from Super Spike for NES to Beach Spikers for GC, and nothing compares to XBV (I mean in the control category)...at least IMO.

So, take this post for whatever you want and call DOAXBV whatever you want...eye candy, a porn game, fanboy bait, etc...but for me, it's a rockin' game w/ good graphics and game control...anywayz, it's just an opinion, so yeah...whatever.