PDA

View Full Version : Cnanime weapons policy

Hltokiri
07-15-2005, 02:21 AM
ok I'm not sure if there was already one like this or if i missed it on the site somewhere but since this is my first time in cnanime what is their weapons policy?

i'm most likely be bringing a wooden practice sword to this con for my bleach costume and i dunno if it will be allowed or not

I didn't see any thread like this in the cnanime forum or their site so I will ask you ppl i guess

Kia
07-15-2005, 04:53 AM
Generally, its been accepted/assumed that CN doesn't *have* a weapons policy. People usually get away with far more at CN than they would at most other cons because there just isn't anyone regulating who can bring what. Use your best judgement about what to bring, but if its just wooden swords, then its a good bet that you'll be fine. ^_^

But don't take my word for it.

Kisa
07-16-2005, 01:23 PM
Keep in mind the arrests they made last year for the illegal weapon-selling shop.

Illegal weapons are STILL Illegal even if there isn't a weapon policy, and I'd expect Security to be cracking down on it this year.

Hltokiri
07-16-2005, 06:27 PM
well i'm hoping my wooden sword is fine....cause i know myself it could be used as a weapon but it is sheathed so i won't be takin it out of it's sheath

that thing about the weapons last year was all over the news...heck i saw weapons there i wanted to add to my collection lol <.<

Colsus
07-16-2005, 09:31 PM
then i dout thay will not mide and if there is a weponds chke thhy will peace bond that is all

Amy the Yu
07-20-2005, 06:31 PM
The only things you'll get in actual trouble for would be if you do anything really stupid...like swinging a weapon or large prop around smacking people all over the place. Pretend sword fights and the like are also not allowed...unless you're in a secluded corner and there isn't a risk of anyone getting hurt. Pretty much, if no one risks getting hurt, CN doesn't care.

They allow way too many dealers selling bootleg and illegal materials to care about a few people carrying weapons. -_-;;

Keep in mind the arrests they made last year for the illegal weapon-selling shop.

Illegal weapons are STILL Illegal even if there isn't a weapon policy, and I'd expect Security to be cracking down on it this year.Funny thing about that one is it was actually an off duty officer who was there cause her hubby is a hobbiest. She saw the stand and thought it was a bit fishy, so she called in and checked and found that it was illegal.

CN staff and security couldn't care less about this stuff. The only thing they use their security for is to make sure that no one tries to get in for free. >_>

then i dout thay will not mide and if there is a weponds chke thhy will peace bond that is allPeacebonding at CN? O.O

That's a good one. >_> *really doesn't think highly of many of CN's policies...or rather their lack of policies*

Colsus
07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
that was a if there was sacurity i noced veray littal last year. thought ther mightn be more this year

Kaijugal
07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
CN staff and security couldn't care less about this stuff. The only thing they use their security for is to make sure that no one tries to get in for free. >_>

Actually I asked about this and it's not entirely true. Hobbystar feels that it's an individual's responsiblity to check and see whether or not thier "prop, replica, or weapon", is illegal under the Criminal Code Of Canada.

They were quite clear in saying that there will be officers on site who will remove anyone breaking the law, not on Hobbystars behalf but under the Law.

Here is my suggestion to you. Look at the code and check it against what you are bringing. If that is too difficult, the Anime North policy is a good place to start when deciding what may or may not be appropriate. A little common sense here people.

Cheers!

Amy the Yu
07-21-2005, 07:45 PM
They were quite clear in saying that there will be officers on site who will remove anyone breaking the law, not on Hobbystars behalf but under the Law.I meant Hobbystar "security"...though no one could tell from the way I worded my sentence. >_<

The only real security I've seen at CN are the MTCC security, and for the gigantic crowds that gather there, I don't think there's enough security around and trying to get the fans to check the weapon laws themselves is almost like doing nothing since so many fans will blatantly ignore the rules if they know that chances are that they can get away with it. >_> *can't really say anything on her own behalf since the only prop she's ever had couldn't do more than give papercuts*

Hltokiri
07-22-2005, 04:15 AM
hmm so i guess i'm good to go then, this wooden sword ain't gettin unsheated anyway so i guess there'll be no worries unless there were some changes

kels
07-23-2005, 12:35 AM
meh.. question.. what about a katana? im sorry, but i have no idea whats illegal under the criminal code of canada.. but im talking about one of those display ones, and if it would be any trouble, i doubt i would be unsheathing it either

Amy the Yu
07-23-2005, 09:21 PM
meh.. question.. what about a katana? im sorry, but i have no idea whats illegal under the criminal code of canada.. but im talking about one of those display ones, and if it would be any trouble, i doubt i would be unsheathing it eitherI doubt they'll have any problems with it (even less so if it's going to stay unsheathed). AN's weapon policy is much more clearcut and well enforced than CN's and several people were able to check their katana's without any problems.

Freedom
07-26-2005, 01:01 PM
A tennis racquet will be ok right?

PS. I got your msg Amy, but I cant send a reply because your inbox is full. :thumbsup:

ChaoticMiracle
07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

I doubt they'll have any problems with it (even less so if it's going to stay unsheathed). AN's weapon policy is much more clearcut and well enforced than CN's and several people were able to check their katana's without any problems.

Really? Wow...I didn't know that we can actually bring a sword, even if it's a display one. So unsharpened display swords will be fine? That will be nice. I'd like to bring one myself too. It had a pointy end but I rounded it so I hope that will be fine.

But I guess it really is your own decision to see if it's too dangerous or not.

Thanks,

mokulen22
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I didn't really read thru this thread (my bad) so if this was asked already gomen mina-san: I'm planning on doing Miroku..is the staff he has concidered a weapon? or any staff for that matter?

Thank you.

TribalButterfly
08-12-2005, 11:09 PM
Im worried about my long fingers

Kaijugal
08-13-2005, 09:11 PM
A tennis racquet will be ok right?

PS. I got your msg Amy, but I cant send a reply because your inbox is full. :thumbsup:

ATennis racket is fine. :thumbsup:

Just FYI for everyones consumption. http://www.canlii.org/ca/sta/c-46/

Jo_Canadian
08-15-2005, 04:09 AM
last year at cna i was almost arrested for having a replica samurai sword, this was shortly after they shut down the booth. guys the idea here is that you dont bring anything that fires anything, i dont care if its a foam dart. dont bring any metal cap guns because looking at some of them i would shoot you if i was a cop and you pulled it on me. and three no open flame, which means no flame throwers, barbeque lighters, 8ln naplam bombs or anything of that nature.

and if your gonna bring a metal sword. dont make the same mistake i did. leave it in the sheath, even if someone wants a picture

Natty Dread
08-15-2005, 05:14 AM
a giant cardboard sword is fine, im sure.

Hltokiri
08-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I didn't really read thru this thread (my bad) so if this was asked already gomen mina-san: I'm planning on doing Miroku..is the staff he has concidered a weapon? or any staff for that matter?

Thank you.

your staff will be fine.....i seen lots of it at anime north so there's no reason why it shouldn't be allowed at cnanime

mokulen22
08-16-2005, 10:31 AM
*bows* thank you!