PDA

View Full Version : DDR pad life length?

Setsuna22
01-21-2003, 03:46 PM
How do I prevent My DDR pads from dying so fast! I've gone through at least 6 already in a year, and they're not so cheap! I play an average of an hour a day too, so I think It might just be the frequency that I use them! Oh well, If anyone has some tips, I'd be everso greatful! Thanks^^

Lynzie
01-21-2003, 04:10 PM
Hm, I really couldn't tell you. The first two pads I bought (In September.) were dead by last month, but that was different because I bought them off of eBay and they didn't even come in a box. One of them didn't work at ALL from the day I got it, and the other one always had a bit of a problem with the left arrow, but in the end all the arrows died. The one I bought just after Christmas is doing great, but I guess I'll have to give it a few more months before I can give you any other advice, huh? ^^;

Dark Vision
01-21-2003, 05:03 PM
not long.. not long....

It depends on what ones you get. I hear the best ones are they ones they're advertising in newtype.

Celine
01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
The official Konami brand pads, though pricy, are very nice. I've had mine for over a year and it's survived some harsh playing conditions. Recently, I've been using the new Naki pads and having great luck with them. They've added some foam to the bottom to make it so the pads don't move as much. I like them so far, but a few people have returned them for just not working. They're also only $20 or $25, depending on where you get them.

On another note, I wouldn't trust ebay for DDR pads, but maybe that's just me...

PretearWink
01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
The Mad Katz beat pad has been going on over a year strong with me now, and I use it at least an hour a day ^^

Lynzie
01-21-2003, 06:40 PM
:P I second that, Celine; no pads on eBay! I didn't think I could get the pads at local stores here, and the seller made it sound like they were brand new pads, and so on and so forth. (It was a package deal; two pads and DDR Konamix.) It wasn't worth it. x_X Definitely not. The game was brand new, though, and works wonderfully.

nails
01-21-2003, 06:46 PM
I only use Konami pads.. If you have a Konami pad make sure you read over the warrenty.. You might be without a pad for awile till they fix it, but at least you won't have to pay for it.

If your purchase a cheap'o DDR pad your asking for trouble :)

You can also buy the DDR Arcade pads for around $500 each. If I lived for DDR those arcade pads would be in my house already. :)

Oshi
01-21-2003, 07:05 PM
both my MadCatz lasted me a half a year... one's dead and the other is dying, heheh. I'm getting metal pads, so... yeah. ^^;;;
But for true soft pad goodnes, you want the Red Octane Ignitions.... they've got a 1" thick dense foam insert for ultimate play... heh. It's either that or metal if you ask me.

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Celine
The official Konami brand pads, though pricy, are very nice. I've had mine for over a year and it's survived some harsh playing conditions. Recently, I've been using the new Naki pads and having great luck with them. They've added some foam to the bottom to make it so the pads don't move as much. I like them so far, but a few people have returned them for just not working. They're also only $20 or $25, depending on where you get them.

On another note, I wouldn't trust ebay for DDR pads, but maybe that's just me...

The modified konami pads from Redoctane.com are very nice too.

Over 1 year on mine.

Tenshi
01-21-2003, 07:56 PM
Do you have the plastic cover for your pads? They're supposed to greatly extend the life of the pad, and I think they're only 10 bucks or something.

As for me, I have a BNS pad from Buy n Shop (hmm, I guess that's what BNS stands for. Heh.). I've only had it for two weeks or so, but it works great!

BannSidhe
01-21-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Tenshi
Do you have the plastic cover for your pads? They're supposed to greatly extend the life of the pad, and I think they're only 10 bucks or something.

As for me, I have a BNS pad from Buy n Shop (hmm, I guess that's what BNS stands for. Heh.). I've only had it for two weeks or so, but it works great!

Nah, I've played with it on before...and seriously...it makes the pad MUCH more of a slip hazard.

Tenshi
01-21-2003, 08:31 PM
Really? Maybe I'm glad I didn't get a cover. . .especially since I play in my socks ^^;;.

Celine
01-21-2003, 11:05 PM
The covers actually make it much harder to get everything to register, besides being slippy. They are really annoying and a bad idea... so don't bother.

MadCatz is always an interesting brand. Sometimes their stuff is fabulous, and other times it sucks. It really depends! I've heard mixed reviews on their DDR pads.

Keurblitz
01-22-2003, 12:13 AM
um.. I guess I'm the only cheap person here.

I bought both of my pads from eBay. I had them for almost 2 years now and they're still at top notch condition. And do you know why? I modified mine.

Setsuna22
01-22-2003, 08:42 PM
Modified? Some of my friends have done, um, something like this! Where you tape your pad onto a board or something? Is this a good idea? How would I go about doing it?

BannSidhe
01-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Setsuna22
Modified? Some of my friends have done, um, something like this! Where you tape your pad onto a board or something? Is this a good idea? How would I go about doing it?

that's not really modifying it....modifying it is opening the pad up, doing what you want, and putting it back together :)

videogirlc
01-22-2003, 10:13 PM
I think the pads life also depends how you store it after you use it. Not really sure since I've only had mine for 2 months and its still strong.

Mizuho
01-23-2003, 12:57 AM
Inquiry: I'm a big fan of the DDR machine at the arcade, and I was thinking of getting a hard pad for my DDR at home. How good are the hard DDR pads? Are they worth investing in for the die-hard DDR fan?

tydawgsd
01-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Yeah without modifications, pad last ax. 6 months-1 year. If you really want to buy pads and make them last, the best thing is to modify them. It costs ax 20-25 bucks to modify a pad, but it is worth it. I play DDR a lot, about an hour a day on heavy, so it isn't nice small steps, and my modified pads are 2 years old and going strong. Yes I bought them on e-bay, they are cheap third party pads.

Several good modifying guides can be found on http://www.ddrfreak.com

Sana-chan
01-23-2003, 07:40 AM
I bought a hard pad once and ended up returning it. I didn't like it at all cuz it was weird and the arrows were like buttons on springs and it was really odd to dance on. I much prefer the smooth Konami ones XD. DDR mats last longer really on how you use it. Don't use it on concrete or hard floor... I know some ppl say that it's better, but 2 were broken because of that. Also don't break dance on em lol. Even tho it's fun and... right anyway lol but yeah it helps ruin them as well.

Studmaster
01-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by videogirlc
I think the pads life also depends how you store it after you use it. Not really sure since I've only had mine for 2 months and its still strong.

I had mine for 18 months myself. It's now becoming useless as I have had to tape a tear on it's down arrow. Oh well, I never really like the offical pads anyway. I plan to get me an Ignition 2.0 at Katsucon if they have them. I would get a metal, but I don't trust people at Hofstra for one.

Ranma Saotome
01-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Mine are already dead. I got them off of ebay and they only worked for 6 months.

tydawgsd
01-23-2003, 12:07 PM
From what I have heard, the hard pads aren't worth the investment. Modifyin a soft pad is the way to go. Here is a brief outline of modifying a pad.

Buy a 34x36 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch particle board. By the same dimensions of clear vinyl floor covering, and some cheap carpet.

On on side of the board using, a staple gun, attach the carpet to the bottom of the board, you will probably have to cut the carpet to do so.

After that stretch your pad out place it on the top of the board, and duct tape it down.

After that place the vinyl floor covering on top of the pad. You will most likely have to cut this too. Take the larger piece and place it at the top of the Up arrow. Using the staple gun, staple this to the sides of the board, making sure not to get staples in the pad. Use a clear piece of packing tape and tape it over the are wher the two strips of vinyl meet.

That's it. If you need help or more detailed info just catch me on AIM or PM me.