PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think so far?

archergirl2000
07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Hey all, Just wondering how you guys are finding the con so far :) I had a blast today at the panels and playing ddr with gina XD

SimiHe
07-16-2005, 12:56 AM
it's great! The dance at the opening cem rocked! It takes alot of courage to stand up and dance. I also loved Shutter and the Hamasaki video. The only thing I had a problem with was the dance. Nothing of course is GCAF's fault and if people think that then their sadly mistaken.

See I don't know why people thought a first time con would have a dance excatly like those at Anime North. But there was nothing wrong with this dance at all. The music was loud and spunky, the staff were getting down but the attendees just stood there and by 10:30 left. I didn't like that. I think that just was heartless. I mean if your bored, it's your own fault. I mean it's a dance what you want dance lines too. I was there the whole dance ^^.

It was fun! We had volleyball, group dances, Karaoke and you know it was alot more social and I made 7 new friends ^^; Those who left because they thought the dance sucked or bored. SHAME. You missed alot of action.

Another thing is, it takes alot of money, time and whatnot to make a con. If these GCAF staff members credit at least by staying at the dance or entering an event. GCAF people out there: Pat yourselves on the back. Good work.

Stephy
07-16-2005, 04:05 AM
woo! i went today with my friend and we had a blast! lol oh gosh, everyone kept hugging cloud ;D me and my friend got a picture of him.

Minka
07-16-2005, 09:14 AM
It was pretty good yesterday. Today I'm going as Mana. Anyone know when the Masqueraid starts up today?

Freedom
07-16-2005, 06:40 PM
:lost:

It was pretty good yesterday. Today I'm going as Mana. Anyone know when the Masqueraid starts up today?
:lost: :lost: :waaaah:

kayli_star
07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
It was CRAP! I swear, I was almost throwing up from all the grease. Let alone how there was absolutely no dealers except for the cool marker guy.

Minka
07-16-2005, 10:39 PM
:lost:

:lost: :lost: :waaaah:
Well..............................................
You met some cool people (ie me >P).
Maybe not......................................

Shadow-chan
07-17-2005, 12:29 AM
woo! i went today with my friend and we had a blast! lol oh gosh, everyone kept hugging cloud ;D me and my friend got a picture of him.
Yes I know that...he ended up following me all around and hugging me lots...I feel loved! <3 Oh and if you guys didn't already know i am the one and only android #17, or the one with the orange scarf

As for the dealer ordeal...seriously give us a fricken break! it was our first year after all,things will only get better from here,I'll see to that personaly if need be!

Mattsuke
07-17-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm absolutely loving it! (mind you I'm biased since I'm staff, you may know me as Mattsuke, or "that guy dressed up as Sasuke dancing like an idiot in the masquerade")

and as for the dealers, we had three, but two ended up not being able to come. We really tried hard! but again, as the great 17 said, it's our first year, go easy on us ^^;

little known fact: every staff member besides the bosslady is 18 or younger. D'you know how hard it is to find people? no one takes you seriously ><;

anyways, enjoy Sunday, everyone! be sure to visit my amazing Mt. Fuji Rescue event XD

Shadow-chan
07-17-2005, 12:57 AM
Yes or come bother me! I'll most likely be in the dealers/artist room and yes I do chibi commisions(cheap cheap)! So come find me!

Kitchen
07-17-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey I can wrap up GCAF in one word...OMFG. This con is wicked. I am loving it.

It was CRAP! I swear, I was almost throwing up from all the grease. Let alone how there was absolutely no dealers except for the cool marker guy.

Oh for crying out loud, it's the first con. You didn't think they would be Anime North WHOM is on their 10th year. You really need an attitude adjustment. GCAF is the best new con so far. Not only is there TONS of people, but events and everything. Who cares if the Dealer's room has no dealers..I DON'T. Why you ask? Because If I wanted something so damn badly I would go and get it somewhere else and stop clogging up the boards whining about the Dealers Room.

PS Hate Panel kicked arse!

Naruto_Girl
07-17-2005, 01:26 AM
The Hate Panel was amazing!! The feild trip to get snacks made my afternoon!

*laughs*

I personally thought for the 1st year this con was OUTSTANDING!

A lot of this is due to the staff so I would like to give them HUGE kudos... they were super friendly and fun and always willing to help anyone out with nearly any issue.

It was more lik we were just a big group of friends hanging out instead of some huge con where there is so many people you can barely walk at times...

I was completely impressed and myself and my friend will most certainly be back next year!

Schubuttercup
07-17-2005, 01:50 AM
Lol, GCAf is a good con...not wait a excellent con. It's an outgoing, friendly atmosphere and it's not all about business or money. I didn't see one unhappy safe member or one that wasn't jumping around or..STARTING RIOTS! OMFG that was amazing!

GCAF 2006 will be a must go to for me because GCAF 2005 is almost like a test run, I mean with everything they learned for 2005 they can fix or make better in 2006. I mean it can only get better and better and come their 10th year, they will be just a high mighty con.

GCAF peoples, like everyone said Good work, keep it up. Your first con is the most sucessful first con in 2 years...in canada btw. I hope you keep up all your hard work, deciation and not only that never become old grumpy farts like some staff at other cons, whom are all about the money and businesses. You guys are doing great. Bravo.

Freedom
07-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey I can wrap up GCAF in one word...OMFG. This con is wicked. I am loving it.
Actually, OMFG is an acronym created by four words. "Oh" "My" "Fucking" and "God". So, you've wrapped up GCAF in four words, which unfortunately isn't nearly as impressive as if you had with one.

Oh for crying out loud, it's the first con.

It's the first GCAF con. The organizers have had plenty of opportunity to attend other cons, get in contact with the organizers of those, network, get tips, etc. It's not like all of the cons are in competition with eachother, and if you have resources like past data, event statistics, and even just friendly tips from experienced organizers at your fingertips, you'd be stupid not to use it. Being "the first time" isn't really an excuse.

You didn't think they would be Anime North WHOM is on their 10th year. You really need an attitude adjustment.

Being the name of an event, and I would assume subsequently the organization that runs said event, in business terms Anime North would be refered to as a singular entity. Therefore, the correct structure of this sentence would be: "...Anime North whom (actually, whom doesn't even really fit here. It seems like a desperate attempt to seem smarter, like tying your tie in the old Windsor knot style. "Which" would be far better alternative.) is on it's 10th year." However, you may often find that the simplest way to convene the message is also the most professional. Something such as "...Anime North which is now entering it's tenth year" would have been much more effective.
I need an attitude adjustment too, correct?

GCAF is the best new con so far.

According to you, but you're just a tad biased. Tainted witnesses don't get far in testimony.

Not only is there TONS of people, but events and everything.

And? You're coming up a bit short here.

Who cares if the Dealer's room has no dealers..I DON'T. Why you ask? Because If I wanted something so damn badly I would go and get it somewhere else and stop clogging up the boards whining about the Dealers Room.

Well what if she doesn't want something so damn badly? What if she had just made the trip down with friends to peruse the offerings and maybe pick up a souvenir of her first anime con visit, or maybe felt like starting a new series and was looking for a DVD with a fancy cover that piqued her interest? Not everyone has time to scour the streets in search of that ever elusive Victory Gundam Box Set with Exclusive V2 Gundam Action Figure (with Wings of Light action!). Hell, why don't we just get rid of conventions? If you wanted it so damn badly, you could put your $35 towards Initial D Vol. 1 and then go on MSN and discuss for Takumi is so awesome and you want to be just like him and drive a Toyota Sprinter Trueno!
But hey, now I'm just clogging the boards. Or am I just disagreeing with you and expressing my dislike of the convention?
Different opinion = clog? Sure.
Don't you have a con to be at?

Naruto_Girl
07-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Actually, OMFG is an acronym created by four words. "Oh" "My" "Fucking" and "God". So, you've wrapped up GCAF in four words, which unfortunately isn't nearly as impressive as if you had with one.

It's the first GCAF con. The organizers have had plenty of opportunity to attend other cons, get in contact with the organizers of those, network, get tips, etc. It's not like all of the cons are in competition with eachother, and if you have resources like past data, event statistics, and even just friendly tips from experienced organizers at your fingertips, you'd be stupid not to use it. Being "the first time" isn't really an excuse.

Being the name of an event, and I would assume subsequently the organization that runs said event, in business terms Anime North would be refered to as a singular entity. Therefore, the correct structure of this sentence would be: "...Anime North whom (actually, whom doesn't even really fit here. It seems like a desperate attempt to seem smarter, like tying your tie in the old Windsor knot style. "Which" would be far better alternative.) is on it's 10th year." However, you may often find that the simplest way to convene the message is also the most professional. Something such as "...Anime North which is now entering it's tenth year" would have been much more effective.
I need an attitude adjustment too, correct?

According to you, but you're just a tad biased. Tainted witnesses don't get far in testimony.

And? You're coming up a bit short here.

Well what if she doesn't want something so damn badly? What if she had just made the trip down with friends to peruse the offerings and maybe pick up a souvenir of her first anime con visit, or maybe felt like starting a new series and was looking for a DVD with a fancy cover that piqued her interest? Not everyone has time to scour the streets in search of that ever elusive Victory Gundam Box Set with Exclusive V2 Gundam Action Figure (with Wings of Light action!). Hell, why don't we just get rid of conventions? If you wanted it so damn badly, you could put your $35 towards Initial D Vol. 1 and then go on MSN and discuss for Takumi is so awesome and you want to be just like him and drive a Toyota Sprinter Trueno!
But hey, now I'm just clogging the boards. Or am I just disagreeing with you and expressing my dislike of the convention?
Different opinion = clog? Sure.
Don't you have a con to be at?

My my aren't we a rude little fan... I love people who troll and have to resort to insulting other posters intelligence because they feel it makes them look smarter and there opinion more credited.

If you know SO much about running an anime convention why don't you start one yourself and you can prove all of us wrong. I have tried to put together much smaller events then this one and itís hard. When your unproven and it is your first time its difficult to find sponsors and funds, which are really the key importance to running an event of any size. Sometimes you have to prove yourself first, show you can get the numbers of attendees and the interest before people will start taking you seriously and helping you. Yes they could have gotten advice; I don't personally know the organizers so they may have, but guess what if you still don't have the funds in order to back you up it won't matter. Oh and if you don't think Cons aren't in competition you are naive, they compete for the best guests and the best attendance. Try talking to supporters of Otakon or Comic Con before you make this statement. The two largest cons in the US have all out battles over who did better each year and who was more interesting. Most fans can only attend a certain number of cons each year and as more start popping up and money gets tighter for the fan you will see more competition to get people to come to there venue. Just the fact that you could make a statement saying there is no competition shows me you know very little about the inner workings of business.

If you didn't like the con well then don't go next year, I have a feeling it won't affect anyone who does. You have a difference of opinion... good for you, you have stated it clearly now please stop trolling this board. Some people did like the con. That may amaze you, but we did. Not everyone is simply interested in who has the best guests or dealers or being able to buy that rare Gundam model. Some people actually simply enjoy having fun and meeting other anime fans and talking about anime.

I drove an hour to go to this con; you drove probably what....looking at your location listed like 5-10 minutes... I am certain it didn't devoid you of precious moments of your life. Now please stop harassing other board members and being cruel and you have stated your opinion and found most people find you offensive, perhaps it is time to just brush us all off and start looking for a more suitable con to suit your pallet to attend.

kayli_star
07-17-2005, 04:42 PM
Wow, you guys need to chill~ :jjacks:

It's just our opinion, and if you don't like it, too bad. This con could have been much better if the effort was put in.

Freedom
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Troll? Come on. Just because I only post when I have a valid opinion instead of spamming "omfg the con is in 3 months!!" continously to power level my post count doesn't mean I spend every day lurking around.
I figured I might as well correct some of his mistakes while defending the opinion of the poster he was trying to rip apart, since it seemed like the right thing to do. I mean, apparently he's a Teacher in Training, maybe he skipped out on ENGL 1F25 or was the guy who came to one lecture and wasn't seen again until he stormed out of the exam room in tears.

In any case, running an event isn't that hard. I've been heavily involved in the coordination of a variety of events, both as just a volunteer and as an active participant in the planning and organization. Of course, such a vague statement never really works on the Internet, so here's a sampling from my resume.

Brock University:
Xbox Live demonstrations and free-play rooms, "Sweet" courtyard party, iCandy tower dance, Vendor's Market, Brock Off-Campus and International Students Association BBQ, Wonderland Trip, Ikea Trip, Economics Student's Orientation, Business Faculty Orientation, Shinerama Car Wash, as well as several smaller events that ran all of Orientation Week.
All Brock Off-Campus events, including several outings, a Coffee House project which turned in a profit of approximately $2500 towards the United Way (if I'm not mistaken, GCAF is running a deficit this year), silent auction featuring donated items to the same cause, the President's Ball, a couple Gym Nights, and then just some volunteer work here and there.
GTAsentra.net: Member coordination for St. Catharines/Niagara Region

Ok, all of those aren't really applicable, save for the Coffee House experiment. Well let's see, there a few parallels we can draw with that and the GCAF.

1) It was the first time any of us had ever tried to plan an event like that.
2) Compared to other forms of entertainment, sipping coffee and listening to live bands was somewhat "vanilla", just as the amount of people that choose to watch anime regularly make up a very small percentage of "Things to do on Friday Night".
3) No one knew who we were.
4) As a charity event, we had to work with a budget of $0 and rely on donations.

Good enough? The scenarios are pretty similar here. So what did we do? Keep reading.

1) Asked the masters. A few months earlier, Leave the Pack Behind had run a very successful event in the same venue. After a few phone calls, we had a huge list of possible acts and sponsors. Networking is the key to success.

2) Professional solicitation. When speaking with the given references and new possible contacts, we made sure to outline our entire project. In addition to being pleasant, you also have to make the people that might be giving you a $200 gift basket feel comfortable that they're not being ripped off. Fancy letter heads can get you pretty far, but the people you send have to be able to make that connection with the donor. The underlying point I'm trying to make here is you should approach the meeting like an interview; you don't just go after school with your backpacks on and your Grade 12 Geometry Textbook in your arms.

3) Feet on the ground. Delusions of grandeur often cause the real product to fall apart as basic needs become neglected when focus is shifted onto more elaborate things. Yeah it'd be nice if we could have a "Taste Test" booth, but do we really need one? What do we need to be successful, and what would be a waste of both money and space?
With those basic principles and some common sense, we turned a rag-tag idea into a successful event. And you know what? The only costs we incurred were those of the facilities used.

Now, competition. Ah yes. I love this miracle of Free Market Society. How am I going to debate this now? Oh right.
You have two conventions. Lets say Jimmy can only choose one. One is in a big city, has been going on for 50 years, a sure winner. The other is in Jimmy's hometown of 130,000 people, is in it's first year, and no one has any idea how it will turn out. They're a month apart, but Jimmy only makes minimum wage so he has to choose one, and one only. Should suck it up and go to the big one, even though accomodations and transportation will completely destroy his bank balance, or should he stay home and spend his money at the smaller convention?
Once again, demographics come into play here. GCAF, even if unintentionally, has been targetted towards perhaps those that are local or like their small cons. If Jimmy doesn't have that much money, can't get a ride to the city, hasn't been to a con before and wants to start small, is claustrophobic, feels he'll be overwhelmed if thrown into a con of 5000 people, whatever, a small-town convention is the perfect solution for him. Small-time events have a way of creating a niche for themselves, much like how Ma & Pa businesses can still stand up to franchises like walmart and mcdonalds. While they wouldn't stand a chance in direct competition with the big leaguers, the loyal following of those they target and subsquently attract let then stay active and successful (to scale).
The big cons and businesses on the other hand are perfectly content with this. Sure they take a hit from kids like Jimmy that don't come, but they're so big that they know Jimmy will be replaced by 5 others from all over the country. They also know that, as Jimmy gains experience at the small cons and starts to feel more comfortable, he may or may not decide to attend the big one next year. Of course, Jimmy will be replaced by another first timer, so the cycle continues.
Now between the big cons, there will be some competition, especially if they are run for profit. And, even if there is no ill-will between the organizers, hell, it could even be a cartel of sorts and after the organziers have a cigar together, but you can bet that supporters/fans will always argue over which is better. It's in a nerd's blood to always have to be superior, its in human blood. I've felt it, you've felt it. When the guy in your sights lags through your bullet and vulches you, when a car passes you on the road, that little tinge that makes you think about telling a GM or pressing the gas a little harder. It's human nature. And between fans, it can become a blood-bath, or in this case, a flame-war. Just go on imdb.com and look at the "old Star Wars" fans vs the "new Star Wars" fans. A bloodbath.

I don't think I'll be attending the con next year. However, I'm still thankful to GCAF for giving me my first con experience and showing me what I like and what I don't like in a con. You may have interpreted my post more angrily than I meant it, but for the most part I was just defending a previous poster from the "zomgzudontagree?!" zerg.
I didn't say anything about not liking the guests, and my example of trying to find V2 Gundam was just that, an example. In fact, V2 is sitting happily on my desk with Wings of Light proudly active. I just know little Usso is smiling inside the cockpit.

Please don't put a Rasengan in my gut.

Schubuttercup
07-17-2005, 07:34 PM
What is with the negativity? It's been a wonderful three days. I enjoyed myself and I really think you all who are putting it down to just sit and think on what these kids had to do to make something enjoy-able for everyone. GCAF is a wonderful con and if you know FREEDOM a better NEW con in the last 2 years please let me know, because I can't think of one.

I just heard the total amount....330 people over this weekend. WAY TO GO. LOL Bigger better stronger and uncut! Excellent.

Tsukasa_1
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Amanda, Ashley and the Entire Staff-

Impressive event- I'm proud of your achievements, as I Know the stress you all were put under trying to put everything together- You've all have over come the many different challenges that have been thrown in front of you- including the publics view and sudden arising of issues weeks before hand, thus showing that after all the hard work youíve in the end achieved success.

Freedom
07-17-2005, 07:49 PM
What is with the negativity?
You may have interpreted my post more angrily than I meant it, but for the most part I was just defending a previous poster from the "zomgzudontagree?!" zerg.
if you know FREEDOM a better NEW con in the last 2 years please let me know, because I can't think of one.
However, I'm still thankful to GCAF for giving me my first con experience and showing me what I like and what I don't like in a con.
:bigtu:

Schubuttercup
07-17-2005, 07:55 PM
In my honest opinon in the smartest way possible. I enjoyed myself and I know alot of people who did. I am happy to be apart of the GCAF's attendee family, I am happy to be able to share this birth of an event that has so much potenial. GCAF will grow and it will expland.

AkumaRaven
07-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who supported us this year. (BTW, this is Gina.) Without you guys we wouldn't be even considering doing this next year.

Also, I apologize about the dealer situation. Several dealers, including Kikiwai couldn't make it because they were attending other cons, and others, like 1000 Comics, backed out within the last 2 weeks before the con. We tried really hard to get dealers, as we had a list of about 30, but many were either afraid that we wouldn't be successful or couldn't make it for the weekend.

Well, next year will be MUCH MUCH MUUUUUUUCH better, and we already have some dealers and a ~surprise~ voice actor confirmed for GCAF 2006. ~_^

Thanks to all you otakus out there!

~ GCAF Director,
Gina

P.S. The Masquerade was wicked! X3

archergirl2000
07-17-2005, 08:57 PM
GCAF did go over well for it's first time running, except with the exception of a couple staffies not doing their share of work and also yelling at some con goers. I applaud the rest of the people on the staff who were nice and awesome for all their hard work. :D

AkumaRaven
07-17-2005, 08:57 PM
What is with the negativity? It's been a wonderful three days. I enjoyed myself and I really think you all who are putting it down to just sit and think on what these kids had to do to make something enjoy-able for everyone. GCAF is a wonderful con and if you know FREEDOM a better NEW con in the last 2 years please let me know, because I can't think of one.

I just heard the total amount....330 people over this weekend. WAY TO GO. LOL Bigger better stronger and uncut! Excellent.

You forgot sexier. XD

Brita_Lee
07-17-2005, 09:01 PM
The staff were amazing! They were totally into what they were doing and had amazingly creative ideas for panels and events. Next year will rock even harder! It was so socialable, like a big party. It was "cozy" but BIG!

My friend and I won the "Best Overall" in the masquerade(yay Fushigi Yuugi), and I won the J-Idol competition! I'd just love to thank the people who cheered me, it made me feel so good, I was really touched. I've never done anything like that before! Thank you so so much. Everyone at this con was so talented and friendly. Keep up your fantastic spirit! I support you!

archergirl2000
07-17-2005, 09:03 PM
The staff were amazing! They were totally into what they were doing and had amazingly creative ideas for panels and events. Next year will rock even harder! It was so socialable, like a big party. It was "cozy" but BIG!

My friend and I won the "Best Overall" in the masquerade(yay Fushigi Yuugi), and I won the J-Idol competition! I'd just love to thank the people who cheered me, it made me feel so good, I was really touched. I've never done anything like that before! Thank you so so much. Everyone at this con was so talented and friendly. Keep up your fantastic spirit! I support you!

Brita you were amazing! Your singing gave me goosebumps ;)

Shadow-chan
07-17-2005, 09:03 PM
You forgot sexier. XD here here to that, Homura(from saiyuki) will be attending that insted of the current Cloud obsessed 17...heh ^^;; or maybe both will if said Cloud is going to make an appearance once more...-ponders-

Mattsuke
07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
freedom, your posts make me sad XD

oh well. Yes, bigger, better, uncut, and sexier! (staff members will be just as sexy, we can't get any better looking than we are, we're already too good looking for our own good XD) more dealers, voice actor, maybe more artists, hopefully more contests and along with them more contest entries. Thank you for making our first year a big success!

and Brita! you're singing was so amazing! I knew you were gonna win when I heard you on Saturday X3

AkumaRaven
07-17-2005, 09:55 PM

All I have to say is:

OMG *dies* XD

Schubuttercup
07-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Brita stop killing the staff!

Lady_Sodina
07-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Gina, Staff and Volunteers: I personally think you guys did AMAZING.

This is a first time con, everyone else realize- THINGS DONT ALWAYS GO PERFECTLY!!! I mean, come on! As Gina said, dealer's backed out for whatever reason- THIS S*** HAPPENS (trying to keep this as PG as possible while still expressing my feelings) Welcome to life, things go wrong, and you know what? It was actually pretty cool to have an artist based gallery. I mean, how often do you come across that anyways? I mean, whoever said the dealers make the con?

As well, though I will admit at times it was a little unorganized, THEY TRIED! I mean, I went down for the fashion show, nothing was going on, so one of the volunteer or staff people called down others to get SOMETHING rolling in that room (we're going to ignore the fact I was the Tasuki who ran away with Setsuna and Cloud AWAY from you guys, but that was entertaining within ITSELF!!). They did their best to pull things together, and for the age range of people WORKING there, it was pretty bloody good. I mean, these were people who didn't exactly have loads of money to spend on this con, and in my opinion, they did a good job.

In my opinion,I had a lot of fun because though there WAS authority, there was also some sort of a relaxed and easygoing aura for the place. Which is what I liked. It was small, so you'd run into the same cosplayers over and over, getting to meet people. I mean, I befriended quite a few people through this con, which is really nice, cause I got to spend time with them. And whenever I was separated from my group, it wasn't difficult to find someone I could spend time with that I had at least met briefly. It was a nice, comfy sort of feeling for the weekend, you know?

As well, realize, the staff and everyone where probably REALLY stressed trying to pull it all together in the end, so cut them some slack, darnit!! I think they did an amazing job, and I really look forward to going again next year (heck, I've already talked with a friend about rooming arrangements, so I think I'm pretty set :D)

So GCAF Staff and volunteers: I LOVE YOU GUYS!! *^^* And please tell me someone kept at least one of my random Ninja kitties... I drew two, and i kept finding them around the place ^^" As well- Matt, you were the Sasuke who was ticklish, aye? ^^v I was the Tasuki hanging around 17 (or rather, she kidnapped me -_-" Either way)

I really am looking forward to next year's GCAF!! Good luck making it bigger, better, and keeping it sexy ;)

Kawaii_Omi
07-17-2005, 10:09 PM
We all would like to really thank all of you for coming. And believeing in the us. I would also like to Brita and everyone who won with awards. This outcome was so amazing the first year. yes, it was like a large group of friend sinstea dof con and the Pocky social [ aka Pocky Surprise ] We really fun. You guys really wnate dit didn't you? <_<

God I wa smore scare dof getting trampled or you guys killing one of your staff members if you didn't ge tit soon. This year went really smoothly evne if I just kinda sat at the reg desk and spoke to most of you when you came in.

Like to thank you on the Opening cen. part. That video was giving me such a hard time x_x to do. The program kept freezing. Glad it came out.

Yes, being our first year things were very different from different large Cons and new ones just coming in. But different is good. We won't seem so repetitve to you guys.

Overall this first year was awsome. I really hope to see you guys and more for next year! Where we will be bigger, Better, stronger and UNCUT! MUwhahahahahaha!

- Ashley [ Your opening and ending host - AyuAyu ]

Kendle
07-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I had a great time. It started off a little bit slow, but by Saturday most people knew everyone else. It was a very "cosy" con. I made lots of new friends and enjoyed the environment. It was also small enough that we won the beginner masquerade (somehow :P). I look forward to next year's con especially because Brock's Anime club will be getting involved. I hope to see you there next year!

Lady_Sodina
07-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I had a great time. It started off a little bit slow, but by Saturday most people knew everyone else. It was a very "cosy" con. I made lots of new friends and enjoyed the environment. It was also small enough that we won the beginner masquerade (somehow :P). I look forward to next year's con especially because Brock's Anime club will be getting involved. I hope to see you there next year!
HA! You were the group that won that? With the J-Rocker? That was HILARIOUS!! Great job!!

Oh, and great job to Brita Lee too!! *^^* *is so proud of you*

AkumaRaven
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM

*glomp* You guys were awesome! ^o^

AncientWanderer
07-18-2005, 01:45 PM
I was really impressed and pleased with this. Usually I just go right to the dealers' room, but considering there wasn't really one (not that I'm complaining) I was actually motivated to go and check out the other events that were happening. There were definitely some creative ideas going on there.

I also liked the fact that all of the staff were like the attendees, just anime fans who wanted to put something like this together. If it weren't for the walkie-talkies, I never would've known who was who.

I've made some friends at this con, and I can't wait to come back in 2006, when it will be bigger and better than ever :)

Lurvs,
Aeris/Chichiri/Quistis

Brita_Lee
07-19-2005, 12:02 AM
Brita stop killing the staff!

:blubber: Sorry! Lol!

Oh yeah, did anyone get tripped over when I was rolling up and down the hallway as Nuriko? :rofl: I got so dizzy doin' that. Ha ha ha!

AncientWanderer
07-19-2005, 12:15 AM
I got bored and decided to pay tribute to everyone who ran/attended the con. Useth this link and you shall see it: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20729896/
(By the way, if anyone else has a devart account, I would love to see some of your work!)

Brita_Lee
07-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Awesomeness! Great idea!

AncientWanderer
07-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Get yourself a scanner woman! Or at least use somebody else's. It's a travesty that you don't have a deviantart account. :P

AkumaRaven
07-19-2005, 09:51 PM
I got bored and decided to pay tribute to everyone who ran/attended the con. Useth this link and you shall see it: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/20729896/
(By the way, if anyone else has a devart account, I would love to see some of your work!)

OMG SO CUTE! *glomp* I love yous! ^o^

AncientWanderer
07-19-2005, 10:01 PM
OMG SO CUTE! *glomp* I love yous! ^o^

YAY! GLOMPING!! I lurvs you too!

Wow, I didn't expect that much response to the picture, but I'm so happy everybody loved it so much *grins stupidly as she hugs each and every one of you*

AkumaRaven
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Hehe. I can't wait till next year! It'll be so much better. I miss everyone already! T-T *flops on face*

Believed
07-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Gina, you make it sound like it was terrible this year or something. GCAF was alot of damn fun, pocky riot 4-ever! Oh and the Pool of DOOM...hmmm what else. Ohhh that Nemesis video kicked arse and i really enjoyed the hate panel field trip!

Brita_Lee
07-20-2005, 09:07 PM
I loved Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon and all its cheesiness! But you guys just HAVE TO bring back the COSPLAY AUCTION! Thats what sold me and Jenn on this con! You must must must!!!

archergirl2000
07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
I agree, the auction was so fun, I bought chibi wolfwood heehee XD

AncientWanderer
07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm $5!! *dances*

Lady_Sodina
07-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Lolz!! I went for a quater!! *beams*

Naruto_Girl
07-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I missed the auction!!

*pouts*

But heard all about it, I want to go to it next year... it sounded super fun!

Kendle
07-21-2005, 08:44 PM
yeah, I wanted to be a part of it but we still had work to do for our costumes.

AkumaRaven
07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I went for $6. XD

archergirl2000
07-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Heehee I went for 5 I think, it was so much fun :D

Brita_Lee
07-23-2005, 12:33 PM
I was 3 bucks! BooYa!

tsubasa-no-kami
07-23-2005, 01:40 PM
I missed the auction!!

*pouts*

But heard all about it, I want to go to it next year... it sounded super fun!

OMG xD the other people who drove an hour to get there!!! haay x);;; i saw this thread and was like OMG! what a crazy con Garden city was O____o;;;~!!!!

Traxbaby
07-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Crazy is an understatement. But these are the most craziest stuff that happened:

Shutter Premier: One freaken scary movie

44 Pocky Riot that one of the staff started: What became of the Pocky Social and the reducing amount of pocky

Japanmondiumns: Pool of Doom, salt and ham and even apple sauce filled origiri's, cake-rock eating contest

Panels: Hate panel took a group field trip to get something to eat, yaoi panel and yuri panel jokes under the sun, Open Mic turned into Light's out Maro Polo

Dance: the glow stick raves and the fact alot of the music wasn't anime which was cool

Ayu Ayu and the Senkaa Dancers: Very cool and even though the dance was done like 5 times, they still got stand ovations.

Opening Video, Opening and Ending Cems: Crazy and sweet. The opening video kicked arse, the thanks yous at the end were so touching and even the gift to Les Major kicked arse.

Masq: The hosts, standing ovations at the end and the skits were the funniest I've seen

Shounen/Shoujo Auction: I went for $2

Charity Auction: Duuuuude the auctioning of straws that someone actually brought, they made 190 bucks, good work

Well that's all the things I think were crazy! Yet very enjoying, thanks GCAF for an awesome weekend

IWantYouItachi
07-23-2005, 07:44 PM
:P I was sold for $5 and bought three people! Gina for $6, Winry for... I don't remember how much, and that.. umm... FLCL kid for 25 cents! ^^ Hehe!

Brita_Lee
07-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Good times! Lol I loved the Senkaa dancers! They were neat. I can't wait for CNA so I can socialise with cosplayers again. GCAF was neat though cause it was so cozy.

Kitchen
07-24-2005, 11:18 PM
I traveled to GCAF from Winnipeg and I really enjoyed myself there. Everyone was friendly and I don't regret coming there. I didn't like those cogeco people, they seemed not to senstive and were just seemed to be pushy to me.

tsubasa-no-kami
07-25-2005, 12:58 AM
I traveled to GCAF from Winnipeg and I really enjoyed myself there. Everyone was friendly and I don't regret coming there. I didn't like those cogeco people, they seemed not to senstive and were just seemed to be pushy to me.

ohhhh x);; spiffy!

Brita_Lee
07-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know what song the Senkaa dancers were dancing to? I want it but Its kinda hard to look for it when you don't know what its called and who does it. ^^'

cloud_2880
07-29-2005, 12:17 PM
Hey All

You would all know me: Cloud Strife

I just want you all to know that I had a BLAST at GCAF this year and gonna be going next year for sure.
A lot of the events that you had were great, the only sad part was finding out that the 'Cosplay Beach Vollyball' got cancelled. I was soooooo looking foward to that, but things happen and I understand ( me and 17 ended up playing balloon vollyball during the latter half of the dance ).
Other than that, everything else was great. I met a lot of people, made new friends, and was worth every penny spent.

I was in the cosplay auction and went for the most, $20. I was sure that price would have gone up had they not stopped it early...hehehe.
I even made it into the local newspaper, ( here's the link to the scan )

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gFLqQor1eXuGQ2gI7FE2V8c3CaTGhDQMhXFC80X9plf8kuj_QZ gbQ5e4ykwp5S2NDce56dDeiJYXsXc5EzB9O91Y56yFonbYOg/GCAF%20article.jpg

Well that's all I can think of for now.

'til next time
Cloud

tsubasa-no-kami
07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Hey All

I was in the cosplay auction and went for the most, $20. I was sure that price would have gone up had they not stopped it early...hehehe.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/gFLqQor1eXuGQ2gI7FE2V8c3CaTGhDQMhXFC80X9plf8kuj_QZ gbQ5e4ykwp5S2NDce56dDeiJYXsXc5EzB9O91Y56yFonbYOg/GCAF%20article.jpg

'til next time
Cloud

XD heeey! thats pretty neat.. congradz!!!!

IWantYouItachi
07-29-2005, 03:52 PM
The song is called Evolution and its by Ayumi Hamasaki. ^^

Brita_Lee
07-29-2005, 11:21 PM
The song is called Evolution and its by Ayumi Hamasaki. ^^
Yay! Thankyou! Wow! Thats great! I've always loved Ayumi Hamasaki's music. Why didn't I recognize it? Oh well. Yay!!! *is happy unless you haven't noticed* :jjacks:

Nagii
07-29-2005, 11:54 PM
I am glad you liked the Senkaa dancers ^^; they worked really hard and are also happy.

Brita_Lee
07-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Hey All

You would all know me: Cloud Strife

I just want you all to know that I had a BLAST at GCAF this year and gonna be going next year for sure.
A lot of the events that you had were great, the only sad part was finding out that the 'Cosplay Beach Vollyball' got cancelled. I was soooooo looking foward to that, but things happen and I understand ( me and 17 ended up playing balloon vollyball during the latter half of the dance ).
Other than that, everything else was great. I met a lot of people, made new friends, and was worth every penny spent.

'til next time
Cloud

Yeah, who wouldn't know you, eh? You were totaly fangirled on! Poor guy. Lol ^^

Lady_Sodina
07-30-2005, 11:40 PM
The senkaa dancers were amusing *^^*

Schubuttercup
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
I thought it was cute.