PDA

View Full Version : First Timer

ShiroInu
07-16-2005, 01:36 AM
Okay, so its a month (give or take a few days) until AE. I went last year, but I didn't actually go to any panels or stuff like that (I spent most of my time in the AMV room -_-). This year will be my first (and definately not last) time a) cosplaying, b) going for all three days, and c) going sans Parentals.

My point is, what should I know for my first 'official' con adventure? Like, what should I bring (there's going to be special guests. Do I bring stuff for them to sign?), what should I avoid (were there any real bomber panels previously?), and anything else I should know of. Also, any experiances from past AE conventions (anecdotes, funny stories, embarassing moments) would help a lot. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid (I've read other 'newbie tips' threads, so I have a general idea, but I wanted tips specific to this con), but I'm just really excited *is such a n00b :thumbsup:*

Is it wrong to be this excited over a con (especially when you're practically an adult)?

Jo_Canadian
07-16-2005, 02:15 AM
lol im 18 and i get so worked up the week before a con i dont sleep. i dont do anything but work on costumes. cons are a great way to make new friends and meet new people. you learn alot of new stuff. just go in with an open mind and an open heart and you will have the time of your life...and my parents have never come to a con with me...they think anime is strange

Vicky
07-16-2005, 08:38 PM
what should I bring (there's going to be special guests. Do I bring stuff for them to sign?)
Well, if you want their signatures, yeah.
what should I avoid (were there any real bomber panels previously?)
there is no way of knowing because the people who RUN the panels changes every convention.
I'm sure I'm just being paranoid (I've read other 'newbie tips' threads, so I have a general idea, but I wanted tips specific to this con), but I'm just really excited *is such a n00b :thumbsup:*
Can't help you there. I only go to AN to CN

ShiroInu
07-17-2005, 06:03 PM
One more thing that I wanted to ask about that I didn't add before . . . is it worth it to pick up pre-reg passes early? I've heard a lot of people say that you're just standing in line for hours just like you would if you picked it up Friday.

Lady_Sodina
07-17-2005, 10:09 PM
*Laughz at jo canadian* Hunnie, not sleeping at all before a con isn't always the best plan.

Personally, I think if you can pace yourself in preparing before a con in moderation, you'll be fine. Get plenty of rest before the con, because you'll need the energy ;) I'd also suggest being considerate of other con goers, bring plenty of film, something to write on if you want signatures or in the event you meet people you want to keep in contact with (getting emails and such, so totally had to borrow stuff from AA during GCAF), and then maybe someone to keep you company, unless you're really outgoing and make friends really easily. As for what to avoid- make the desicion yourself really, I mean, learning process, explore things for yourself. Can't help you with any stories on AE though ^^"

Mage
07-17-2005, 10:48 PM
I unfortunately haven't been able to make it to AE, so I don't know about pre-reg pick-up, but...

If you want autographs, try and find something before the con. Dealers will usually sell items that relate to guests, but you might find them more expensive than if you find them on your own.

For first-time con adventuring, just remember to eat. You'll get so caught up in the excitement that it'll end up being really late and you'll suddenly remember that you haven't eaten. So plan out when you're going to go eat and make sure you do it! =)

lainey
07-18-2005, 07:40 AM
about pre-reg..i posted before in the CNANime thread about it:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showpost.php?p=1101854&postcount=26