PDA

View Full Version : SDCC Masquerade

AnimeGamer
07-17-2005, 04:38 AM
This is a congrats to all the participants that was part of this year's San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade. I was silently ninja cheering you all on as I was one of the five catcher ninjas (guys who are next to the stage to make sure you don't go falling off stage and getting hurt).

I never thought out of the three or four SDCC Masquerades that I would ever see 2002 topped. Good job 2005, you guys just topped that year.

And I was dead wrong on the no-play rule. Dead wrong.

Congrats to Dany (if that was you in the Vampire Hunter D costume!) and to whoever Nightcrawler and Lara Croft (was that Suzushi-chan? gratz! if it is!) and to everyone who got an award and to everyone else just for a great performance.

Really, the only problems that were encountered were some people overstaying, some doing hit-and-runs, and one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P

Oh yeah, and audio problems. That was the biggie tonight, and it hung some great acts out to dry.

Anyway, I have no idea if everyone read the advice we made in one of the threads started last year but something seemed to have made the masquerade much better.

In any case, 2006 has it's hand's full to follow up.

That's all my thoughts for this year's Masquerade. Please use this thread to place your guys thoughts on this year's masquerade if you have seen it (or part of it).

And oh yeah, Eurobeat King is a photography master. :razz:

Suzushichan
07-17-2005, 05:58 AM
This is a congrats to all the participants that was part of this year's San Diego Comic-Con Masquerade. I was silently ninja cheering you all on as I was one of the five catcher ninjas (guys who are next to the stage to make sure you don't go falling off stage and getting hurt).

I never thought out of the three or four SDCC Masquerades that I would ever see 2002 topped. Good job 2005, you guys just topped that year.

And I was dead wrong on the no-play rule. Dead wrong.

Congrats to Dany (if that was you in the Vampire Hunter D costume!) and to whoever Nightcrawler and Lara Croft (was that Suzushi-chan? gratz! if it is!) and to everyone who got an award and to everyone else just for a great performance.

Really, the only problems that were encountered were some people overstaying, some doing hit-and-runs, and one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P

Oh yeah, and audio problems. That was the biggie tonight, and it hung some great acts out to dry.

Anyway, I have no idea if everyone read the advice we made in one of the threads started last year but something seemed to have made the masquerade much better.

In any case, 2006 has it's hand's full to follow up.

That's all my thoughts for this year's Masquerade. Please use this thread to place your guys thoughts on this year's masquerade if you have seen it (or part of it).

And oh yeah, Eurobeat King is a photography master. :razz:

um, no. that wasn't me. i did the summons group.

~suzushi :cool:

Kid Groove
07-17-2005, 06:23 AM

Yeah she did LEGENDS and she got mentioned on another skit for costume design!!! way to go misses multitalented.. you totally kick ass.. thanks for letting me help I had great fun

-Mizaru aka Anthony

AnimeGamer
07-17-2005, 11:44 AM

Oh, whoops. What sucks with sitting right in front of the stage in indian/crouch mode the entire time is leg cramps and the fact you don't have a good view of any of the stage screens.

I wasn't sure if it was you, so good to know it isn't.

Anyway, off to comic-con now...

hello kenney
07-17-2005, 01:26 PM
can someone give me a discription of jack and zero? im not sure which one that was or if i missed it.

Jaina Solo
07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
What was wrong with him? That's Christophe on c.com, and I thought he did awesome (that transformer is friggin' amazing). It takes some time to put that thing on, you know, and when you're nervous onstage, it'll take even longer.

There were a couple of people who needed to get offsage faster than him, IMO. :\

Velvy
07-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Disney Princes and Princesses! They were awesome. Quite seriously, in all the skits I've seen performed at masquerades, this one tops them all in terms of humor and creativity and choreography. I only saw a portion of the Comic Con masquerade but I'm so glad I didn't miss that skit. It completely knocked my socks off! I'd really like to see it available online so I can re-watch it! :heart:

Genki_Usagi
07-17-2005, 11:12 PM
Disney Princes and Princesses! They were awesome. Quite seriously, in all the skits I've seen performed at masquerades, this one tops them all in terms of humor and creativity and choreography. I only saw a portion of the Comic Con masquerade but I'm so glad I didn't miss that skit. It completely knocked my socks off! I'd really like to see it available online so I can re-watch it!

thank you sooo much!! I played Alice and we had so much fun!!!! theere were so many great groups, we were totaly cheering on the Nightcrawler and laura Croft and the Jack and Zero and lots of other groups.

Xaila
07-17-2005, 11:52 PM
What was wrong with him? That's Christophe on c.com, and I thought he did awesome (that transformer is friggin' amazing). It takes some time to put that thing on, you know, and when you're nervous onstage, it'll take even longer.

There were a couple of people who needed to get offsage faster than him, IMO. :\

*cough* Mordor Orc *cough*

But really... Masq was AWESOME all around and I loved watching it, helping out being a stage ninja and repair woman. SO much fun. I can't wait to participate next year myself for the first time. :bigtu:

I just wish the ones I were favoring won... :waaaah:

Rogue Marvel
07-18-2005, 12:14 AM
I was a member of the summons/legends group, I was the shiva. I had alot of fun doing the comic con masqurade even if it ment being horribly uncomfortable for a few hours before the masq started and we went on(always go to the bathroom before you get into costume..even if you don't think you have to go).

I really liked alot of the skits, not sure what my favorite was I liked most of them.

Wolfgirl
07-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Hehe you probally caught me or directed me on stage seeing that I could not see.

I was the disneys gargoyles

I found it funny that they put the two disney acts next to eachother.

I was'nt in it for winning I was trying to support the new disneys gargoyles comic book and the gargoyle gathering convention this year.

I had so much fun . Everyone looked so great.

aimee
07-18-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm a big fan of gargoyles for a long time, it was really fun to see your gargoyles costume, they are rare!

We (A.J., Cheryll, Judy and I) were the H.C.C. Rose of Versailles group, we're super grateful for the award we got, seriously, it meant a lot. Also grateful that they let us try again after something went wonky with our sound. I'm not really sure what happened, we provided two completely different format cds... and it worked later...? It seemed like we weren't the only group either to be suddenly faced with being on stage with no music.

I guess my main suggestion would be, in the future, if something like that happens, to dim the lights and have a stage ninja TELL THE M.C. that they are having technical difficulties, instead of having us "perform anyway" with no music, with 3 members already on stage not knowing what is going on. Basically, we had 3 people on stage, with the lights dimmed, and then the music was supposed to start. The 3 on stage had no idea why the music wasnt starting or what to do without it (as we had rehearsed synching all our movements to music, etc...)

Also, it was hurtful to have the M.C. say something like "Well I guess that was "ART"" after we were already so embarrassed at having to basically walk out and make fools of ourselves, not knowing what was going on, and then stumble offstage. If he'd been told maybe he wouldnt have said something like that, but what if we were just an unusual group...? It seems mean for the M.C. to make disparaging comments like that. It's hard enough for cosplayers to get up on stage without having to deal with that. It was really hard to go out and "try again" to perform. The audience, and our fellow contestants were super sweet though and cheered us on, so that really helped to go try again after getting "boo-ed" by the audience the first time because Comic-Con couldn't play our cd for some reason. I feel bad also, as it seems like a few other groups had their sound messed up too, I'm not really sure what happened. I know a few cons test out the sound BEFORE the masquerade and burn the sound files to a master file, to make sure that there's no problems like this, I think that's a great idea.

back to the positive though, again, we're super grateful, and the costumes at comic-con are always so fabulous, it really means alot to get a win here. and the stage ninjas were really sweet trying to help us out in our unweildy costumes, they all seemed to be looking out for everyone as there were a lot of groups with hard to walk around in costumes. Everyone seemed well taken care of. Overall the audience seemed nice to contestants. I remember about 3 years or so ago when they were pretty nasty, and it seems like they are more forgiving and more rooting for the contestants now.
again, so many amazing groups this year, I feel really lucky to have been able to see them up close. The Jack Skellington and Zero group that got Best in Show were amazingly wonderful. Last year those two had that amazing tree and flower costume. They always have such gorgeous stuff and I was so happy to see them win this year. Also Kent's Van Hellsing group was amazing, and the Disney Princesses had such lovely costumes and funny skit (ALADDIN RULES!!!), I could go on and on, there were just so many amazing skits. I wish I could have seen the Nightcrawler's skit, I heard he was amazing!!

Wolfgirl
07-18-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm a big fan of gargoyles for a long time, it was really fun to see your gargoyles costume, they are rare!

We (A.J., Cheryll, Judy and I) were the H.C.C. Rose of Versailles group, we're super grateful for the award we got, seriously, it meant a lot. Also grateful that they let us try again after something went wonky with our sound. I'm not really sure what happened, we provided two completely different format cds... and it worked later...? It seemed like we weren't the only group either to be suddenly faced with being on stage with no music.

I guess my main suggestion would be, in the future, if something like that happens, to dim the lights and have a stage ninja TELL THE M.C. that they are having technical difficulties, instead of having us "perform anyway" with no music, with 3 members already on stage not knowing what is going on. Basically, we had 3 people on stage, with the lights dimmed, and then the music was supposed to start. The 3 on stage had no idea why the music wasnt starting or what to do without it (as we had rehearsed synching all our movements to music, etc...)

Also, it was hurtful to have the M.C. say something like "Well I guess that was "ART"" after we were already so embarrassed at having to basically walk out and make fools of ourselves, not knowing what was going on, and then stumble offstage. If he'd been told maybe he wouldnt have said something like that, but what if we were just an unusual group...? It seems mean for the M.C. to make disparaging comments like that. It's hard enough for cosplayers to get up on stage without having to deal with that. It was really hard to go out and "try again" to perform. The audience, and our fellow contestants were super sweet though and cheered us on, so that really helped to go try again after getting "boo-ed" by the audience the first time because Comic-Con couldn't play our cd for some reason. I feel bad also, as it seems like a few other groups had their sound messed up too, I'm not really sure what happened. I know a few cons test out the sound BEFORE the masquerade and burn the sound files to a master file, to make sure that there's no problems like this, I think that's a great idea.

back to the positive though, again, we're super grateful, and the costumes at comic-con are always so fabulous, it really means alot to get a win here. and the stage ninjas were really sweet trying to help us out in our unweildy costumes, they all seemed to be looking out for everyone as there were a lot of groups with hard to walk around in costumes. Everyone seemed well taken care of. Overall the audience seemed nice to contestants. I remember about 3 years or so ago when they were pretty nasty, and it seems like they are more forgiving and more rooting for the contestants now.
again, so many amazing groups this year, I feel really lucky to have been able to see them up close. The Jack Skellington and Zero group that got Best in Show were amazingly wonderful. Last year those two had that amazing tree and flower costume. They always have such gorgeous stuff and I was so happy to see them win this year. Also Kent's Van Hellsing group was amazing, and the Disney Princesses had such lovely costumes and funny skit (ALADDIN RULES!!!), I could go on and on, there were just so many amazing skits. I wish I could have seen the Nightcrawler's skit, I heard he was amazing!!

The MC was really a jerk this year. But I can tell you everyone loved your costumes.

Hehe I love gargoyles too. I'm helping advertize the garg gathering this year. Are you going?

You know what is funny I used to talk to yu in s8 alot way way back when thoughs chat rooms where fun. I was kind of shy so I didn't come say hi when you guys where in your costumes in the green room. I wanted to though. I really love your costumes I know how much time you put into them.

If you did'nt win something I would of had to break my foam brick over someones head:P

bob_owns_me
07-18-2005, 02:26 AM
i want to thank you again xaila

my neck hurts from that head dress, but i would do it again for Suzushi-sama :)

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 02:32 AM
Disney Princes and Princesses! They were awesome. Quite seriously, in all the skits I've seen performed at masquerades, this one tops them all in terms of humor and creativity and choreography. I only saw a portion of the Comic Con masquerade but I'm so glad I didn't miss that skit. It completely knocked my socks off! I'd really like to see it available online so I can re-watch it! :heart:

Wendy here from the Princess Skit, thank you so much for your kind words. We are workingon somebody getting it posted online asap

Xaila
07-18-2005, 03:08 AM
i want to thank you again xaila

my neck hurts from that head dress, but i would do it again for Suzushi-sama :)

Nyarr... Levi right? Yeah that head dress did look painful but it was lovely so so lovely! All of it was.

And I'd so jump to the occassion to help all of you again. All so fun, sweet and pro it was a blast being your temp. ninja. :heart:

ssjbulma_tb1
07-18-2005, 03:52 AM
I actually thought the masquerade was pretty crappy this year. there were only like 3 or four skits and the rest were walk ons.. crappy walk ons i might add too... i dunnoo i think it sucked.. last year was wayyyyy better.

FivePastZero
07-18-2005, 03:57 AM
I thought the masquerade was awesome. I watched from backstage and I got to talk to alot of cool people! Everyone did a wonderful job!

Genki_Usagi
07-18-2005, 05:46 AM
I know a few cons test out the sound BEFORE the masquerade and burn the sound files to a master file, to make sure that there's no problems like this, I think that's a great idea.

I dunno if it was the same this year, but last year and the year before, that hall is being used for large panels and stuff, so they really can't test the music there. I dunno tho, it could have been different this year

Akira_Kun
07-18-2005, 06:39 AM
i felt that the judging panel was really kinda bad. they were all sci-fi/fantasy industry based people and seemed a bit baised to other genres. it seem only americain based themes won. but other than that i think everyone deserves apraising for doing such a good job.

hello kenney
07-18-2005, 07:11 AM
i was in the photograph area the whole time- so i can only judge the costumes and not the performances.

on the topic of the photo area- i can only appologize for the way many of the photographers acted. the yelling- the ordering around- the condescending tone of the main photo area guy ('turn to the side, remember- there are people on both sides of you,' etc...) i recognized many of you as veterans of many a masquerade and more than familiar with how a camera works or what poses were most flattering for your costume. also, requesting dozens of poses when there were so many people waiting in line, freezing, sweating, tired, nervous- was cruel. there was no excuse- i hated to see familiar faces treated like it was thier first time in costume. the RoV group in particular i remember looking rightfully annoyed...

im shooting myself in the foot here- but id like to point out the total voluntary nature of the photo area. if you didnt like the way you were treated, the best way to show your annoyance is to avoid it entirely.

on a more positive note- my favorites were

-suzushichan's summons group because the costumes were just insane
-doctor octopus because im a comic book nerd
-princesses: for many obvious reasons, but foremost for me- they were having SO. MUCH. FUN. all genuine smiles and laughing and chattering. they made me smile.

and lots more favorites. i found the overall quality to be much higher than last year.

youve waited long enough to hear the most important result:

the hello kenney fan service award for most stalk-worthy cosplay can only go to one lucky entry and anyone who has seen my cosplay.com gallery shouldnt be surprised to hear its ashe from final fantasy. ashe, im sure youre still too flash blind to read, but maybe someday youll see this and feel a bit of pride knowing that while the officials may think differently- in a room full of creepy middle aged perverts you were the star of the show.

sbjudy
07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Also, requesting dozens of poses when there were so many people waiting in line, freezing, sweating, tired, nervous- was cruel. there was no excuse- i hated to see familiar faces treated like it was thier first time in costume. the RoV group in particular i remember looking rightfully annoyed...

HelloKenney, I'd like to apologize for our annoyed appearance in the photo area. It wasn't intentional, nor a reflection on the attitudes of the photographers, and I shouldn't have let my stressed-out appearance ruin the photographers shots. Unfortunately, we had just walked off the stage after the audio snafu (as always, the SDCC audience does not suffer fools lightly, and it's a very disconcerting experience) and the staffers insisted we take the photos right then, even though they were still working on getting our audio back up. Still no excuse, obviously, but please understand we were just stressed about getting back in line and remasked in a very short time frame.

hello kenney
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
aw shucks i didnt mean it like that at all. i assumed it was the lengthly wait followed by the pose requests (or commands ^_^) but i assure you it was only something i noticed while you were in line and a moment or two when you first got on the stage. you put your game face on the second it was needed and no ones photos suffered. that was the case with all who posed. everyone was great.

if i wasnt clear- i just felt a handful of the photographers were overly rude and as one of the photographers there i wanted to say sorry in case anyone felt annoyed or offended by the conduct or wait. there were a number of us that felt bad, especially for the wait times.

a quick explanation to the cosplayers as they waited in line wouldve solved most of the yelling: stand on the x. once you start posing- dont move until instructed- this is a still camera shoot (this was a big problem and the cause of most of the yelling. it wouldve taken 30 seconds to explain that in line and yet nearly half of the entries didnt stop moving as if they were posing for video cameras or the masq audience.) with 5 people yelling 'stand still!', 5 yelling 'stand on the x!', and a handful of others shouting pose requests- it just melded together into a meaningless roar. nightcrawler and lara for example- those two didnt stay still for more than 2 seconds. the flips and stuff were impressive, but i doubt many people got even one good photograph from thier time on stage.

Maryssa
07-18-2005, 02:07 PM
That MC really needs to go. He is a real asshole =/
And holy crap. I need to remember to bring heavy blankets next time for the green room. I was shivering so badly ;_; it was really miserable.
And I also believe for pure walk-ons there needs to be a time limit of like, 30 seconds MAX. There really is no reason to drag it out.

But wow. the masq was so awesome. so many amazing skits and costumes.

I think this performance (Disney Princesses) was THE most fun i've ever had on stage in my life (since i was 4!). Seriously I <3 all my girls and our men were fantastic! Mucho props to LYNLEIGH for this group since it's basically her baby and it was such a success! I was honored to help out wiht the choreography. (oh yeah and I was Megara... it was really suprising how few people recognized who she is :lost: )

Haha. While we were on stage my boyfriend (who was helping us out backstage) happened to overhear someone commenting on how we rented our costumes? Well, nice try, considering we all personally made them (we would be more than happy to provide progress photos :heart: :heart: :heart: ^____^ ). however, that is quite a flattering comment I must say, to think we had the real thing =)

Dany
07-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Just got home..

Yep, that was my D up there :) . I have to say this...the entire audience chanting "D!" over and over threw me into one of those moments where I was torn between "That's really (bleep)in' awesome!!" and "Oh crap, I better not screw this up...!!!"

So..if you were a part of that...now you know what I was thinking! :) That and "Did I just turn into the next Beast Boy?"

The contestants this year were just..wow. There was some SPECTACULAR stuff going on, and if you thought it was good onstage, you should have seen it off. Seriously, there are always details that people just can't see far away or the cameras don't catch. I was in awe when I wasn't stressing.

It's one of the things that keeps me coming back, in spite of how unforgiving the crowd can be. Good people, fantastic costumes, and outside of a few things, runs well.

Funny things from my end of things..

- I nearly forgot to put on the lower half of my chest armor, and didn't realize it until just before the trailers for the Masquerade started playing.

- The lights went out (THANKFULLY!) before I had to catch myself from falling over onstage at the end of my presentation. My balance started to go, and I ended up smacking down Lefty, as it were, to keep me from landing fully over on my side. Yeah, I know, not something you're supposed to tell people, but hey, I learned a big lesson: I have to watch my lean!

- There was no emergency repair duct tape on my sword blade. *JediMindTrick*

- Reactions to awards...
#1: "Ooh. Cool!"
#2: "....you mean I got ANOTHER one *blink*?"
#3 "Holy crap, you are KIDDING!! *gawk!*"

Anyhoo...it was a great experience all around!

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Hello Kenney, thank you so much for your kind words about our Princess group. We were all laughs and giggles and happy. Its nice when you have your girls back there to keep you calm before you go on stage, so by the time you get out after having such a wonderful experince on stage, you are all true smiles of :love: so, thank you so much and if you have pictures of our group, we are dying to see it

Wolfgirl
07-18-2005, 04:17 PM
I actually thought the masquerade was pretty crappy this year. there were only like 3 or four skits and the rest were walk ons.. crappy walk ons i might add too... i dunnoo i think it sucked.. last year was wayyyyy better.

Heeeeeeeeeeey!!! this was my first time in a masqurade and I was a walk on :untrust: I was the disneys gargoyle

I even tryed to walk on with some sort of skit though my wings failed they where soposed to go up and down. I broke the foam brick. I thought that was purty good for a first time masqurade person who was nervous as heck.

Wolfgirl
07-18-2005, 04:20 PM
That MC really needs to go. He is a real asshole =/
And holy crap. I need to remember to bring heavy blankets next time for the green room. I was shivering so badly ;_; it was really miserable.
And I also believe for pure walk-ons there needs to be a time limit of like, 30 seconds MAX. There really is no reason to drag it out.

But wow. the masq was so awesome. so many amazing skits and costumes.

I think this performance (Disney Princesses) was THE most fun i've ever had on stage in my life (since i was 4!). Seriously I <3 all my girls and our men were fantastic! Mucho props to LYNLEIGH for this group since it's basically her baby and it was such a success! I was honored to help out wiht the choreography. (oh yeah and I was Megara... it was really suprising how few people recognized who she is :lost: )

Haha. While we were on stage my boyfriend (who was helping us out backstage) happened to overhear someone commenting on how we rented our costumes? Well, nice try, considering we all personally made them (we would be more than happy to provide progress photos :heart: :heart: :heart: ^____^ ). however, that is quite a flattering comment I must say, to think we had the real thing =)

Hahaha you guys where great. this was my fisrst masqurade and yeah that room was cold although being in that gargoyle costume made me hot

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 05:17 PM
I am in agreeance about the MC, he needs to go. He was rude, and I think Comic Con is popular and well known to get a new MC each year so we dont have to deal with stuff like that

Aimee, I am sorry what he said about your group, the "I guess they call it art" thing, I can tell you there was a gasp of outrage on your behalf in the green room.

Xaila
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Wow... I think everyone hates that guy royally. Well, I do too. A LITTLE screwed in the head he is.

I seriously thought they'd never use him again after LAST year's fiasco with Sesshomaru.

It seems that he actually encourages the audience at Comic Con to be a little cruel, like with his commentary on the applause. Who the freak says THAT!?

But even with his crud, everyone either beat on him, or ignored him wonderfully. Kudos.

aznaphrodite
07-18-2005, 05:30 PM
The MC definitely sucked. It's so hard to find good MC's these days.

I was Ariel in the Disney Princess group! Thanks to everyone for your feedback and I'm really glad you enjoyed our skit!!! Congrats to everyone who participated in the masquerade this year! It was awesome!!!

As LadyDemando said, a huge thank you to Lynleigh for organizing our skit!!!!

Dany
07-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Actually, I can count at least seven group entries that did far more than walk on and off, and a lot of singular entries that presented the costume as the character and performed, even if they were by themselves.

Bear in mind that not every costume exactly needs a long production to prove its point...and especially with singular entries, you really shouldn't be up there too long in the first place.

Also, think about this: if you didn't like the entries in this year's Masquerade, there is nothing stopping you from entering next year and adding to the performances :) You've got a year to plan ;)

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Amen. Please dont complain about the skits (IE: how many walk ons there were) unless you were in the masqurade yourself. If you didnt participate, you should not be complaining. It takes people a lot of courage to get up there and even do a walk on, so, show some respect

hello kenney
07-18-2005, 06:27 PM
I am in agreeance about the MC, he needs to go. He was rude, and I think Comic Con is popular and well known to get a new MC each year so we dont have to deal with stuff like that

Aimee, I am sorry what he said about your group, the "I guess they call it art" thing, I can tell you there was a gasp of outrage on your behalf in the green room.

thats ironic considering he spent a couple minutes at the start telling everyone to be polite and remember how hard and long they worked on thier costumes- and so on.

i only heard bits of his dialog after the opening speech but i heard enough to wonder why he was the mc. i dont mind rude as long as its funny rude (triumph,) but he didnt come across as funny at all to me. i hope they get someone with some charisma and stage experience next time. heck, i bet richard hatch couldve done a much better job. this is the biggest event at the biggest pop culture convention in the country- they could easily get a *real* host. im sure people like mark hamil, bruce campbell, seth green, kevin smith, etc, would do it for free- theyre all at con anyways- just give them some free advertising or whatever...

the mc they had is one of those guys thats been working with comic con for a loooong time. hes paid his dues so he gets to do stuff like host the masquerade. professionally, his two career high points were illustrating the 'myth' book series by robert asprin, and writing/drawing a pornographic comic - the name of which escapes me at the moment. both of those were easily 15+ years ago and he has no relevance or draw in the comic industry whatsoever.

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 06:33 PM
the mc they had is one of those guys thats been working with comic con for a loooong time. hes paid his dues so he gets to do stuff like host the masquerade. professionally, his two career high points were illustrating the 'myth' book series by robert asprin, and writing/drawing a pornographic comic - the name of which escapes me at the moment. both of those were easily 15+ years ago and he has no relevance or draw in the comic industry whatsoever.

They should bring back Robert Englund *o* loveness, or something, but contestants in the masqurade can make without the attitude and the stupid 'costume number <insert numbe here by audience> that just takes up time. Nobody cares, just say the fricking entry number already.

Keiichi-san
07-18-2005, 06:35 PM
My friend and I got a kick out of one skit in particular for a rather odd reason. I was still wearing my WWII Ranger uniform during the masquerade and when the Captain America cosplayer got on stage and the 'Proud To Be An American' music was playing, we both kind of joked at how awesome it would be if I got up on stage, shook his hand and saluted him.

Alas, it was not to be (plus I probably would've been kicked out of the ballroom). And it would've made such an awesome photo-op too... :(

-K1

Dany
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
They should bring back Robert Englund *o* loveness, or something, but contestants in the masqurade can make without the attitude and the stupid 'costume number <insert numbe here by audience> that just takes up time. Nobody cares, just say the fricking entry number already.

If I recall correctly, the tactic has been used for years as a 'way to keep the audience feeling involved'....*shrug* I don't think it really drags things on too much more...in fact, I've noticed that some of the other things that go on where the MC actually has to stop and wait while people shut up is far worse in terms of time-eating.

Jinyo
07-18-2005, 08:09 PM
I'd like to congratulate the Cosplay.com people who participated in the Masq this year. As an audience member, I found the whole show really entertaining! The thing I like about the Comic-Con Masquerade is that it's more about the actual costumes and less about performing skits. Costumers are good at making costumes, which is what I go to a Masquerade to see. Costumers are not always good at singing, dancing, and acting. Sometimes when a Masquerade focuses too heavily on skits and performances, the whole thing ends up feeling like a high school talent show. So I like seeing a Masquerade with a lot of walk-ons if the costumes are good, and only the skits that are actually good. Nothing ruins my enjoyment of a good costume like a bad performance.

Was it just me, or were there a couple more hecklers this year than in previous years? Generally, I think of the Masq audience as being pretty supportive. But it only takes a handful of vocal idiots to shake your confidence when you're on stage, especially if you're not experienced as a performer. And it did seem as though the show had more than its typical share of audio problems.

It should have been obvious to the MC, Phil Foglio, that the Rose of Versailles group were waiting for a missing audio cue. I mean, who's going to walk out there and just stand there in the dark? Anyway, I'm glad they finally got your sound working and let you try again, because that was a really cool skit, and creepy! And of course, stunning costumes!
Aimee, I hope you don't think the audience was booing your group! There may have been one or two loud morons in the audience, but for the most part, I think people were just getting annoyed at the sound crew.

The prolific Suzushichan had some amazingly complex and intricate costumes which really deserve recognition!

I must also give mad props to Christophe and his Transformer Smokescreen. I didn't think the transformation was slow in the least, and I loved that it showed that the costume could actually transform from car to robot!

And is there anyone who didn't love the Disney Princesses & Princes skit? My friends and I were saying "STOP. Aladdin time!" to each other for the rest of the night! XD And on top of having a fun and clever skit, you all looked beautiful in your outfits!

Dany's D seriously kicked ass, and I'm glad the judges recognized it.

By the way, Jack & Zero was the last performance of the evening. Jack Skellington and his ghostly dog were not actually costumes as much as they were puppets. Though Paloma did wear a beautiful, gothic-looking dress as she performed Zero. Jack was a six-foot-tall (give or take) rod puppet with the thin, lanky proportions of the movie character, controlled by David who was standing right behind him, clad in black from head to toe. Zero appeared to float around the stage, suspended from a pair of wires held by Paloma.

psylocke
07-18-2005, 09:04 PM
the hello kenney fan service award for most stalk-worthy cosplay can only go to one lucky entry and anyone who has seen my cosplay.com gallery shouldnt be surprised to hear its ashe from final fantasy. ashe, im sure youre still too flash blind to read, but maybe someday youll see this and feel a bit of pride knowing that while the officials may think differently- in a room full of creepy middle aged perverts you were the star of the show.

criminy christmas! thanks so much! i feel like i've won the pervert's choice awards or something, heehee. j/k. nice to know that someone liked my costume - for a sick minute there after my performance i thought i was getting booed off stage. ugh

i agree with everyone else though - that mc was a total jerk! the comment that he made after the music didn't que for the H.C.C. Rose of Versailles group was way low. their costumes were stunning and i thought they showed a lot of grace when it was obvious the music wasn't going to come up. i'm glad they let them go again - they were wonderful!

Dany
07-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Dany's D seriously kicked ass, and I'm glad the judges recognized it.

*blush* Thank you! :) It's good to know that people in the audience were into it too. I had a lot of people tell me both Saturday night and Sunday daytime as I was walking around that they were really happy that D got up there.

Happy judges = happy Dany.
Happy audience = happy Dany.

Happy audience + Happy judges = extremely squeeful Dany! :jjacks:

Kitsune-sama
07-18-2005, 09:20 PM
^______^ Kitsune here...You probably won't recognize meh...But I was Suzushichan's tangled and slow-moving BAHAMUT

<3 And that body paint stained the floor of the hotel I stayed in's bathroom!!

XD Yes, I have to admit, my chains got tangled RIGHT BEFORE our group was up, hence my slow moving to get to the front...(I almost did a face plant, but I luckily caught myself)

And just a thing about the awards...F**k them...^_^ Who needs a dust-collector on their shelf? ^.^ Like I said in the Green Room: "What's more important? A dust-collector or a whole bunch of fans clapping? F**k dust!!"

^________^;;; Eheh, that's all....

Oh, and Dany...YOU COSTUME FREAKIN' RAWCKED THE HOUSE!!! :bigtu:

Maryssa
07-18-2005, 09:22 PM
The thing I like about the Comic-Con Masquerade is that it's more about the actual costumes and less about performing skits. Costumers are good at making costumes, which is what I go to a Masquerade to see. Costumers are not always good at singing, dancing, and acting. Sometimes when a Masquerade focuses too heavily on skits and performances, the whole thing ends up feeling like a high school talent show. So I like seeing a Masquerade with a lot of walk-ons if the costumes are good, and only the skits that are actually good. Nothing ruins my enjoyment of a good costume like a bad performance.

Coming from someone who was in the masq and backstage, I have to say I felt almost the exact opposite. I didnt see judges going around inspecting costumes up close at all. My group had an entire binder full of reference and progress photos and after it was handed in to staff that was the last we heard of it. I feel like the judges went by overall appearance and stage presence rather than the actual costumes or actual performance. After all, most of the judges were entertainment industry professionals and not costume makers (one of the judges i think was a costumer?) There were a lot of really detailed costumes that got zero recognition and I am sad for those entrants.

And I do feel it was a bit awkward that the Best In Show were not actual *costumes.* they were very very awesome though.

i also agree with the comment about winning a trophy compared to audience response. it was an AMAZING feeling experiencing the reactions to our skit. i really felt like we completely owned that stage during our 3 minutes. that was worth far more than the awards we got.

Dany
07-18-2005, 09:34 PM
My group had an entire binder full of reference and progress photos and after it was handed in to staff that was the last we heard of it. I feel like the judges went by overall appearance and stage presence rather than the actual costumes or actual performance. After all, most of the judges were entertainment industry professionals and not costume makers (one of the judges i think was a costumer?) There were a lot of really detailed costumes that got zero recognition and I am sad for those entrants.

The documentation and music were returned to contestants at the 2 PM replay of the Masquerade. If you didn't get it back for some reason, send an email to Martin and see if he can get it back to you. I did that last year because I didn't know there even WAS a playback *oops!*

As for the judges...there was a husband and wife set who have done some costuming and prop-work for movies like Chronicles of Riddick, amongst others. They were on the judges panel last year too. The workmanship judge was an SCA lady who's done a few things (my memory of the list is a bit vague), and Richard Hatch was the actor judge (he judged at WonderCon as well).

And yes, they were likely looking for not only costume quality, but stage presence and entertainment as well...and they weigh very heavily on the latter end. If you want more costume focus, you're probably wanting to go towards things like CostumeCon (me? Plugging? Naaah!).

Dany
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Oh, and Dany...YOU COSTUME FREAKIN' RAWCKED THE HOUSE!!! :bigtu:

...so that explains why my balance went at the end of my presentation! *LOL* I have to be careful when I do that...thank you!

sbjudy
07-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Coming from someone who was in the masq and backstage, I have to say I felt almost the exact opposite. I didnt see judges going around inspecting costumes up close at all. My group had an entire binder full of reference and progress photos and after it was handed in to staff that was the last we heard of it. I feel like the judges went by overall appearance and stage presence rather than the actual costumes or actual performance. After all, most of the judges were entertainment industry professionals and not costume makers (one of the judges i think was a costumer?) There were a lot of really detailed costumes that got zero recognition and I am sad for those entrants.

The craftsmanship judging should have happened for you after your picture was taken when you entered the green room if you indicated that you were going to want to be judged for craftsmanship. You would have gotten in a secondary line in the back far corner of the room after the picture for those two judges and the staff would have indicated where to go next. However, I have definately noticed that for the last three years, it seems to be the contestant's responsiblity to point out to the judges the details and reference binder samples of their costumes... otherwise, you seem to get a quick look over. However, they do cut off judging at some point (7:30? I can't remember... they were announcing it in the dressing room though...), so if you haven't finished getting dressed and into the green room by that time, you aren't judged for workmanship.

Looking at the judges list from this year, it seems to be the same group of people as before. Yeah, there is a celebrity judge, but at least two of the judges are industry costumers (designers for Chronicles of Riddick)

Karisu-sama
07-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I met that MC back in the early '80s at Capricon (Chicago) when he was a not-very-well-known comic book artist, and I was (then) a really big fan of his Star Trek Con comic art.

I'm personally not exactly thrilled and delighted (read that as stronger than I typed it :p) to see that he's become such a rude and unmannered person as he's gotten older. Perhaps his relative current "fame" has gone to his head? In any case, my former respect for him has plummeted completely.

Dany
07-18-2005, 09:48 PM
However, I have definately noticed that for the last three years, it seems to be the contestant's responsiblity to point out to the judges the details and reference binder samples of their costumes... otherwise, you seem to get a quick look over.

Maybe it was me, but I felt kind of rushed in the workmanship judging this year. I might have misinterpreted, but it felt like it was "OK, we're done looking now. Go away." Definitely different than last year..

...and then I noticed I didn't put on part of my chest armor...probably one of the better parts of the ruddy costume. Doh. I knew something felt funny. I got it on before going on stage but talk about feeling dumb.

Karisu-sama
07-18-2005, 09:56 PM
And just a thing about the awards...F**k them...^_^ Who needs a dust-collector on their shelf? ^.^ Like I said in the Green Room: "What's more important? A dust-collector or a whole bunch of fans clapping? F**k dust!!"
My sentiments too, though I'd probably not use the F-word. :p My favorite "award" has always been audience appreciation. :)

Otherwise, just a mere paper certificate award given by respectable and highly-experienced and accomplished costumers, who have been active for decades in the hobbyist costuming field (whether or not they also work as pros), and who try to judge costumes and presentations as ethically and fairly as possible, means more to me than any fancy dust-catcher or amount of $$$ or bags of trinkets.

Maryssa
07-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Wow really?

Thats just odd, or maybe I just wasnt paying attention? We were told to go to the back to get our photo taken (i didnt even know what that was for honestly), but then no one told us to go off to the side to get judged or anything o_O we were just kind of like oookay lets go sit down again. We were all in there well before the cutoff as well so I wonder what the deal is? (i wasnt the group leader so i have no idea =p )

I know some of my group members went to the playback so maybe they did get our binder back =) havent asked them about it.

aimee
07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Robert Englund was such a fabulous M.C. Everyone adored him.

as to judging, yeah, I wish they'd spent more time on craftsmanship judging, we really had to push to get our details in, and just to be able to tell them that we made our own hoops and petticoats, and corsets, and just really BASIC details how we made the frock coats and dresses,... etc... I mean, if they aren't interested in stuff like that, then what are they interested in...? Isn't craftsmanship how your costume is "crafted" ? It seemed like overall the judging was pretty good, I just wish we didn't get the "being shoved away/rushed" feeling in the craftsmanship judging. Dany, you weren't the only one! basically that happened with everyone. I'm not complaining too loud, but yeah, I wish they were spending more time on the details.

and again, it really meant alot to have fellow contestants being so supportive after such an embarrassing first attempt on the stage (with the sound snaffu) I know it's happened to others at comic con this year, but not just here, but other cons, and it's always a scary experience. *_*

Rogue Marvel
07-18-2005, 10:38 PM
I think the lack of real craftmenship judging hurt our group. Suzuhichan but alot of time effort and money into the costumes but I don't think she really got a chance to explane that and show how passionet she was about the designs. Even those of us us wearing them could have added how awsome we felt the costumes where. But I guess it happins.

There will be other cons

SCLNeptune
07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
M chan, we did get our binder back, Martain give it back at the playback =)

Kitsune-sama
07-18-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree...

I remember ever single time over at her house, she was always working on a headress, or part of something else...I understand how she feels, it was like a slap to the face...

;_; Poor Suzu...And you're right, there will be other cons...^^

Suzushichan
07-19-2005, 01:03 AM
thanks for all the support guys. ^_^; and thank you for putting up with me and my costumes.

~suzushi

Genki_Usagi
07-19-2005, 01:06 AM
The princess group did get judged for craftsmanship. we took our picture and then the judges were like, ok, walk past us in a single file line.........and that was it. no touching, no flipping up to see hems, no nothing. just a walk past.

Kentelo
07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Robert Englund was such a fabulous M.C. Everyone adored him.

as to judging, yeah, I wish they'd spent more time on craftsmanship judging, we really had to push to get our details in, and just to be able to tell them that we made our own hoops and petticoats, and corsets, and just really BASIC details how we made the frock coats and dresses,... etc... I mean, if they aren't interested in stuff like that, then what are they interested in...? Isn't craftsmanship how your costume is "crafted" ? It seemed like overall the judging was pretty good, I just wish we didn't get the "being shoved away/rushed" feeling in the craftsmanship judging. Dany, you weren't the only one! basically that happened with everyone. I'm not complaining too loud, but yeah, I wish they were spending more time on the details.

*_*

We were aware of the importance of getting to the craftmanship judge in a timely manner, so we hustled our butts to get in there ASAP. When our group went up for the craftmanship judging we had been observing the previous groups and how much time they were given. We noticed it was brief so each of us rehearsed exactly what to tell them that would provide the most impact quickly. The first words out of my mouth were "don't you have our reference packet?" And she very politely explained that that was used mainly for the final judging, with all the judges.

It occurred to me later that the reference packet was more about accuracy of interpretation of a given character, than craftmanship, and as such our reference packet really didn't contain information about about the construction of the garments, just what the originals looked like compared to our copies. Our brief moments with the judge was our one shot to get that across.

Dany
07-19-2005, 02:19 AM
We noticed it was brief so each of us rehearsed exactly what to tell them that would provide the most impact quickly. The first words out of my mouth were "don't you have our reference packet?" And she very politely explained that that was used mainly for the final judging, with all the judges.

Kind of the same thing here. I ended up focusing on the armor and the sword, because those were the most complicated things. Though I noticed that the guy with her was poking at the break that happend on my sword when it was in transit...which wasn't a good thing. Let alone the whole piece of my chest armor not being ON me *wince*

Dany
07-19-2005, 02:20 AM
thanks for all the support guys. ^_^; and thank you for putting up with me and my costumes.

~suzushi

Your name comes up on more stuff...you are a BUSY girl, I must say!

...I don't think I could ever keep up!

Xaila
07-19-2005, 02:25 AM
Your name comes up on more stuff...you are a BUSY girl, I must say!

...I don't think I could ever keep up!

:eek:

I'm still trying to figure out where all her energy and creativity comes from. I wanna tap into it. It has to be some powerful crazy juju up in there... has to!

Suzushichan
07-19-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm just passionate about what i do! it's what keeps me goin'. the desire to do what i want with my life; become a pro costume designer. i've still got A LOT to learn and i ain't givin' up 'til i accomplish what i set out to do! if i don't try my hardest I'll just be stuck where i'm at and the further i push my limits the further it will take me.

Mandy Mitchell
07-19-2005, 02:48 AM
I was very impressed by the Comic Con 2005 Masquerade. Congratulations to everyone who participated and entered this year! There were so many excellent entries and jaw-dropping costumes. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the Disney Princes and Princesses skit (I was Belle)! We had a total blast on stage. Everyone worked really hard to put on a wonderul performance as well as great costumes. My personal favorite skit out of the night would have to be the Tombraider vs. Nightcrawler skit.

Gekko
07-19-2005, 04:05 AM
Aw man, I knew I should have gone but I ran out of money. Suxs to be a poor student.

So the craftsmanship judging at SDCC also had problems like AX? Is everyone upset by the rush job the judges did at SDCC? I've only been to AX so I don't know what SDCC is like. I want to know if it's worth going to SDCC if it's rushed like AX.

JainaMSolo
07-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Robert Englund was so the best MC ever. ...well okay, I've only been doing the Masq for three years, but he was definitely the best of the two!

SDCC can be a tough crowd, but I think it's worth it. There's a reason I give up most of my Saturdays every year at the con. :)

Yuna Summoner
07-19-2005, 11:09 AM
Congrats to everyone who participated! This was my first masquerade ever (I was Sara from Final Fantasy III--yes, a walk on). I was so nervous, but I think everything went pretty well, which is why I don't appreciate comments about "too many walk-ons". I think everyone did their best and looked great. I really enjoyed the Princess group, the Summoners (yay Amano), Lara and Nightcrawler, and the adorable Wonder Woman girl.

I think I'll do a skit next year, but I'm still happy that I actually entered the masquerade this year. It was so nice to see all of you. ^_^

Wolfgirl
07-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Thats funny about the craftsmenship judge person. I had no problem with it.
She came up and wanted to inspect my gargoyle mask and asked me questions about how it was built and took pictures of it.

She was in the back. She only looked at costumers if you had marked you wanted her to look at your costumes up close.

Wolfgirl
07-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Congrats to everyone who participated! This was my first masquerade ever (I was Sara from Final Fantasy III--yes, a walk on). I was so nervous, but I think everything went pretty well, which is why I don't appreciate comments about "too many walk-ons". I think everyone did their best and looked great. I really enjoyed the Princess group, the Summoners (yay Amano), Lara and Nightcrawler, and the adorable Wonder Woman girl.

I think I'll do a skit next year, but I'm still happy that I actually entered the masquerade this year. It was so nice to see all of you. ^_^

I think I was even more nervous. Especially when I saw all the photo taking people after I got off the stage. I thought the masqurade was really fun.

kelldar
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I LOVED getting to see all the awesome costumes backstage!! Everyone looked so amazing. I don't think I've ever been involved in a masquerade that had SO MANY great entries.
I was also a little disappointed with the craftsmenship judging this year... last year they seemed to spend a lot of time with each contestant, this year I spent maybe 30 seconds with her before she was done with me. Ah well. :)

Karisu-sama
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Everyone who wants up-close personal attention in judging on workmanship, TRY COSTUME-CON!!

(...Who me? Shameless plug? Why would you think that? *bats eyelashes innocently*)

Otherwise: While I was very unimpressed with the MC, I was very impressed with the lovely costume work and presentations so many of you did!!! They rocked!! :D

Dany
07-19-2005, 06:14 PM
(...Who me? Shameless plug? Why would you think that? *bats eyelashes innocently*)

We are Costume-Con of Borg. You want to be assimilated as soon as you are judged for workmanship.

*cackle!* :devil:

Christophe
07-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Hello there, I am the "one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P". Way to single me out... I'm glad I stuck in your mind.

I don't suppose you have any idea how hard it is to carry a 60 LB costume on stage with practically no visibility, try to plant yourself in the middle of the stage, then nearly blindly perform two dozen steps, each of which plenty can go wrong?

I doubt you'd be able to do the same physical feat in that amount of time if I gave you 100 tries off-stage with no audience. Did I mention that we never got to see or rehearse with the real stage at all before going on? Well, we didn't.

"Forever"? Let's see how long I took.

I was given 1:45.

My audio track was only 1:42. I don't like to waste the audiences time and ALWAYS do my best to spend the minimum amount of time up there in EVERY performance.

The transformation sequence started at :20, and I had it done around 1:15, so the transformation itself lasted 55 seconds. I'm sorry if less than a minute of your precious time is "forever".

My left leg did not combine perfectly so I did it a second time just to make sure it would stay, and that added an extra... hmm... 8 or 9 SECONDS. I suppose you would have been more entertained had it fallen off like it did at Anime Expo.

You know what takes FOREVER? I had to make 2 runs WALKING back and forth 8 city blocks each way from the Convention Center to F street in the HOT SUMMER SUN in order to transport that heavy costume to the rehearsal area/green room. That took *3 to 4 hours* going both ways, and all so that I could be on stage for a measly ONE MINUTE AND 45 SECONDS, knowing full well the only reward would probably be the appreciation of the audience and fans.

Its not like I was standing around doing nothing on stage... You know how many people ask me to see that transformation when they see my costume? That's what my performace WAS. Some people pose, some people do moves, others dance. I transformed. There are people who wanted to see how it is done. Sorry it was a waste of YOUR time.

Was I wasting the rest of the audiences time? Anyone else think I TOOK TOO LONG?

:miffed:

Christophe
07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Everyone who wants up-close personal attention in judging on workmanship, TRY COSTUME-CON!!

The workmanship judging was horrible at Comic Con. The lady there did not look like she wanted to be there and only asked "what is it made of" then shooshed me away, and refused to see my costume in both modes even though there are details in one mode that cannot be seen in the other.

I went on to ask about if she had the reference and completion photos that I had submitted with my other paperwork and she said that those weren't for her, and would be looked at by the judges panel... UH... DURRRR.... Why have reference photos if the workmanship judge doesn't see them or even care to? I could have easily shown her my backup set but she refused to let me show them! She didn't seem like she wanted to do the job or maybe by the time she got to me she was tired and wanted to get it over with. Either way, its pretty demoralizing.

It would be nice to go somewhere, where they can really gauge how much time and personal effort is put into something that a first glance just isn't going to give. I know how you guys felt at AX last year. ; . ;

Eurobeat King
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
AnimeGamer: Please be a little more polite when commenting and think about other people's feelings if you wish to say something negative about someone's performance. Granted at SDCC, not a lot of people who are in the masquerade are c.com members (or even know about it) but they may find out sooner or later about certain posts, and may not take to criticism that well.. Christophe is a friend of mine whom I've known throughout the years, and I've always enjoyed his great solo-performances at conventions, and his Transformer skit is one of his best! Just by looking at all the details of his costume (look at my Fanime 2005 pictures for the step-by-step transformation pics we took) and how hard it was to change from car-mode to robot in that little of time, that certainly was NOT easy.. And that it was his first time in the pressure-packed SDCC masquerade, he was certainly against the clock but managed to pull it off and get a lot of cheers from the audience for his costume and skit..

Christophe: I was rooting for you backstage, shouting "C'mon Chris!" ;) Great job as always!!

Wolfgirl
07-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello there, I am the "one guy who took forever to change in his transformer mode. =P". Way to single me out... I'm glad I stuck in your mind.

I don't suppose you have any idea how hard it is to carry a 60 LB costume on stage with practically no visibility, try to plant yourself in the middle of the stage, then nearly blindly perform two dozen steps, each of which plenty can go wrong?

I doubt you'd be able to do the same physical feat in that amount of time if I gave you 100 tries off-stage with no audience. Did I mention that we never got to see or rehearse with the real stage at all before going on? Well, we didn't.

My audio track was only 1:42. I don't like to waste the audiences time and ALWAYS do my best to spend the minimum amount of time up there in EVERY performance.

The transformation sequence started at :20, and I had it done around 1:15, so the transformation itself lasted 55 seconds. I'm sorry if less than a minute of your precious time is "forever".

My left leg did not combine perfectly so I did it a second time just to make sure it would stay, and that added an extra... hmm... 8 or 9 SECONDS. I suppose you would have been more entertained had it fallen off like it did at Anime Expo.

You know what takes FOREVER? I had to make 2 runs WALKING back and forth 8 city blocks each way from the Convention Center to F street in the HOT SUMMER SUN in order to transport that heavy costume to the rehearsal area/green room. That took *3 to 4 hours* going both ways, and all so that I could be on stage for a measly ONE MINUTE AND 45 SECONDS, knowing full well the only reward would probably be the appreciation of the audience and fans.

Its not like I was standing around doing nothing on stage... You know how many people ask me to see that transformation when they see my costume? That's what my performace WAS. Some people pose, some people do moves, others dance. I transformed. There are people who wanted to see how it is done. Sorry it was a waste of YOUR time.

Was I wasting the rest of the audiences time? Anyone else think I TOOK TOO LONG?

You looked really good and NO you did not take to long. I thought your costume rocked. It looked just like the cartoon mahah!!!:P

I was brooklyn from disneys gargoyles.

Karisu-sama
07-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Christophe - I LOVE that transformation sequence, I DON'T think it took too long even when you had to redo a part to make sure it worked right (and we sympathetic-types could tell that was what was happening, unlike your "I want a perfect movie take!"-type detractor there, and I SOOOO appreciated you doing it all over again for us at Animagic when I'd missed it onstage!

That costume is very creative, very well designed and made, transforms easily and quickly, and it rocks!

Faint
07-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Christophe your costume was excellent. it didnt take too long at all considering what you had to do. i loved the skit. :heart:

Suzushichan
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM

*huggles chris* :heart: :heart: :heart:
your costumes are always amazing. don't listen to what other people have to say.

darrylhw
07-19-2005, 09:58 PM
First up, great job with the costumes for everybody. The performances were very good too. Only complaint was some of the walk-ons took way to long. Christophe, you were not one of them. The transformation sequence takes a while and that was understandable. Good job on the skit.

Second, what is up with the MC. He started out treating the audience how a grade school teacher would treat a 6th grade class...and got worse. The job of the MC is two fold. Announce the costumes and keep the show going (the second being the more important of the two). Many MCs with resort to heckling performer because it's easy and people join in and then it appears that you know the audience well. He should be controlling the audience, steering the show so that when something goes wrong or when a skit falls flat, the show still flows smoothly. He didn't do that. The feeling from backstage was .... SOMEBODY REPLACE HIM NOW!

Once again, great job all. Thanks to the Disney Princesses for letting me help out. I will forever be....your monorail holder.

AnimeGamer
07-19-2005, 11:08 PM

Woh hey! I didn't mean to bash you in any way. Just from a audience perspective it seemed to take forever (since I had the audience behind me instead of around me this year, I couldn't actively gadge whether the sequence was good or bad.)

Not only that, but last year had a transforming car-to-robot as well that took in comparison around five to ten seconds.

I do *not* go out of my way to bash people and/or their costumes. If I do sound that way, it's only to help and not to hurt. If you need me to, I'll re-edit any posts that you feel are hurtful to you or your costume because that is *NOT* my intention at all. It is far removed from that, and the comments I make here are meant to help everyone have a good time and to avoid the usual pitfalls I have seen in the Masquerade the past two years.

I do appreciate the time and effort everyone puts into their costumes. If I didn't, I wouldn't care so much to come here and say the comments I make. I do *not* want to portray someone, or for that matter, ANYONE, as a bad guy or a bad example.

All I am, is a fan of cosplay and of cosplayers; i'm not one of you guys. I wouldn't even dare try to be; I just don't look like anyone, and I couldn't even devote the time and energy like Suzushi can to make my own costume or even dress up in someone elses. I *appreciate* what everyone does, in or out of the masquerade.

I apologize if I came out being degrading and mean, and I do not mind mods editing my posts if need be.

Once again, in capital letters...

I DO NOT GO OUT OF MY WAY TO BASH PEOPLE AND/OR COSTUMES.

Suffice to say, I did see you again on Sunday and yelled-complimented you for a good performance outside Hall F but you didn't hear me.

My tone also could've have been a little bad since I did lose my camera on Friday to some low-life of a stealer.

Okay, enough with that subject. I didn't bother to wear flame-retardant for this thread, and since it's my thread... I'd please ask everyone else to keep flames to other posters (or people not present) at minimum. I wish this not to be a bash so-and-so thread and I will adamantly push to make sure it stays friendly (and I was practically horrified to be flamed. I hate being flamed for words I say being taken the wrong way. -_- )

Honestly, I think overall Phil did fine. There were some comments that I winced at and knew he should've known better ( I do believe he did host the 2003 masq. ) but he did what he had to do to keep the audience involved and *controlled*. I wasn't backstage (I was a catcher, so I didn't know what the mood was backstage) but the previous two years had really out-of-control audiences and it was surprising this audience wasn't even close to out-of-control this year. I could tell right at the get-go this masquerade was going to be magical, and it didn't disappoint.

Actually, backstage when Dany was practicing on the practice stage I was kinda worried that you might be pushing the time limit. When you got on stage though, it was a totally different energy and it didn't even seem that long at all. In fact, the way you did it just made it really cool.

This year's audience to me was the most controlled audience I have seen out of the four masquerades I have seen. I couldn't really hear the audience (coming from a stage ninja positioned between the judges and the stage) really say anything negitive, and they were extra-supportive this year which was quite surprising to me.

I was sad that the boy who did Beast Boy (and Mojo Jojo the previous year) wasn't there this year, and don't hold your breath Dany for the "Dee" chants next year. :untrust:

This year included the greatest skits I have seen in a masq. in a long time, and some really awesome costumes like the Chrisophe (transformer), the Princesses, Alien (whom is a cool guy, and tail-wacked a poor stage ninja when he got his headgear on.), Suzushi's summons, the Street Fighter guys, the Halo 2 elite (my friends were pissed they missed him), that devil dude on stilts, #60 (jack), and the very cute Wonder Girl that started off the show. This list goes on, and for that simple fact it's why I think this masq. is the best I have seen so far, even beating out 2002 which included the infamous "#48" obilisk, Mojo jojo, and the KoF fighters (and that very sexy Mai, of which one of the local reporters made the comment "oh my" at the nightly broadcast.)

As for time consumption, it felt like this was one of the fastest masquerades I was part of. Actually, it might very well be. I think it ended at 11pm? Three hours is incredible to get through 60 seperate enteries. Even some of the walk-ons were amazing.

I think we all better worry about next year though. This year is going to be hard to top, and I hope everyone who will be part of the masq. next year will take up the challenge to beat this year.

I will certainly be looking forward to it. With a new digital camera. :crylaugh:

EDIT - Now I remember why I couldn't hear the audience that well. I was sitting right next to a speaker! XD Oh yeah, people who *intentionally* fall in their skit... please don't knock the lights in front of you! Us catchers got scared that:

a) Someone for the first time in the Masq. might fall off stage.
b) The light standard was going to smack us right in the face.
c) The light standard was going to electro-shock the poor guys and/or us.
d) I got a leg cramp getting up too fast to make sure those lights didn't fall on us. -_-

So please, be aware of your surroundings and be kind to your stage ninjas. ^_^

Christophe
07-19-2005, 11:29 PM
Thank you Al, Karisu, Jinyo, Darryl, Melissa, Jaina, gargoyle ^__^ and the rest of you who have replied with kind words... I didn't mean to go off that bad. I got into reading a lot of posts about the heckling at the masquerade, and remembered the announcers' rude comments toward HCC, etc. and felt it was somewhat continuing here. I don't mind being critiziced, if it was valid and if I really was wasting time and not getting off the stage etc, but I put forth a lot of effort to try and NOT take too long. Well, my next Transformer should be a lot faster... x__x

LadyDian
07-19-2005, 11:47 PM
I did not get to go this year, but I would like to ask one of the costumers some technical stuff about their costume. Does anyone know who the Covenant Elite from Halo was? I will be making a Master Chief costume which has some similar components.
Thanks ahead of time.
Dian
also known as Danielle
and occasionallyas Haldir

Christophe
07-20-2005, 12:45 AM
Not only that, but last year had a transforming car-to-robot as well that took in comparison around five to ten seconds.

This was my first comic con so I didn't see last year's. Thanks for the info, its always good to know exactly how much you are inferior by, and in my case, I took 5-10 times as long as he did so I must really suck! I'll try to aim for 10-20 seconds for my next character. I will look forward to your criticism next year... :angel:

I DO NOT GO OUT OF MY WAY TO BASH PEOPLE AND/OR COSTUMES.

I don't think you do. But from my perspective reading the post it seemed like it was a great masquerade with the only identifiable exception being my performance. I don't think you intended to make it sound like that, but it was still grating to read and made me feel icky inside...

I apologize if I came out being degrading and mean, and I do not mind mods editing my posts if need be.

Nah, editing posts doesn't solve anything, and you didnt do anything offensive. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

My tone also could've have been a little bad since I did lose my camera on Friday to some low-life of a stealer.

I hope you can get it back.

Honestly, I think overall Phil did fine. There were some comments that I winced at and knew he should've known better

Yeah, the comment he made towards HCC was pretty low, and it made all of us backstage pretty worried about what he would say about us. An announcer should not instill fear into the hearts of the participants. I don't think that was his intention, but someone in that position has to make sure they review what they say before they say it...

This year included the greatest skits I have seen in a masq. in a long time, and some really awesome costumes like the Chrisophe (transformer),

I would normally say "nice save". But since I already hit the ground and am bleeding all over the place so I will instead say "nice band-aid". Don't get me wrong though, I do appreciate the sentiment! ^__^.

SCLNeptune
07-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Chris, ignore trolls and flamers like AnimeGamer, your skit was aweomse and i thought it was flipping amazing. I loooooove you Chris :blows a kiss at you: be my hawat vampire biatch again and bite my neck xD

SCLNeptune
07-20-2005, 01:24 AM
yes, you will always be our Monorail biatch Darryl ^_~ and hopefully you will be our ya in the ya next time (shhhh dont say nothing baby)

JainaMSolo
07-20-2005, 01:29 AM
In 2003 the MC was Robert Englund (aka Freddy Krueger). He was awesome. Mojo Jojo was in 2003 as well. ("Mo-jo Jo-jo! Mo-jo Jo-jo!") The MC from this year did last year as well.

Karisu-sama
07-20-2005, 02:49 AM
All I am, is a fan of cosplay and of cosplayers; i'm not one of you guys. I wouldn't even dare try to be; I just don't look like anyone, and I couldn't even devote the time and energy like Suzushi can to make my own costume or even dress up in someone elses. I *appreciate* what everyone does, in or out of the masquerade.So, you have no idea what it's like create and perform in costumes - then there is really no grounds for complaining that one person's transforming costume isn't "as fast or better" than you would like to see. Perhaps someone else did a faster transform somewhere - but unless YOU can actually do that YOURSELF, it's not really a good idea to complain about someone who can do it at ALL, and still meet the alloted time criteria as well.

You think you may remember "5-10 X faster", but I doubt you timed the costumer last year exactly, or remember exactly how complicated that maneuver was VS. Christophe's, and compared the two costumes side by side in terms of what they actually do and how they are built. For instance, Christophe can sit on the ground in that little car, and one sees JUST a little car, you know, something which was not evident from the stage presentation.

So please, be aware of your surroundings and be kind to your stage ninjas. ^_^Most costumers I know are typically very kind to stage ninjas, and we really DO appreciate the essential job they do. It's rather a shame if they then turn and whine about OUR hard unpaid out-of-pocket "labors of love" in what comes off looking like a rather imperious manner.

I dunno about Phil. He's certainly not the relatively nice guy I remember from 24 years ago. He was egging the crowd on at LEAST as often as he was "controlling" them, and he said NOTHING to make the contestants actually feel good about what they were about to do or had just done. He was exceedingly rude to HCC about their tech glitch, in fact, and did not even bother to remark that there WAS probably a tech glitch, though it was patently clear to anyone with a modicum of sense that they WERE supposed to have music, and were waiting for it.

atomic99
07-20-2005, 03:50 AM
I've been covering the SDCC masquerades in the photo area for a while and I have to save I was very impressed with the many many wonderful costumes this year. Everything from detailed costume work to puppetry to even some cosplayers on stilts. A very creative group and one of the best years for the Masquerade.

Christophe: If anyone thought your presentation was too long, it certainly was worth the wait. It's easy to make something transform in animation but entirely different to pull it off in reality. Nicely nicely done! Just remember the applause you received at the end of the transformation. I'll remember the big smile you had on your face in the photo area and how you came back onto the photo stage when you transformed back into the car.

Sarah/Yuna Summoner, Wolfgirl, and other first timers: Yay, your first Comic-Con masquerade!! I hope you weren't too nervous and that we'll see you all in future masquerades? Sarah-Lovely Sara from FF3. You did great!!!

Aimee, AJ, and others from the H.C.C.: Beautiful costumes. Even with the music snafu and MC dig, wasn't it great to still pull off an award? Nicely done!! And, despite the negative overtones that Phil Foglio might have presented, your presentation WAS very artful (Artful? Is that a word?). Artful, of course, in a good way (choreographed, costumes, etc.)

Bri, Rebecca, and the rest of the Disney group: I think yours was my favorite (although Vera Vanguard's Lara Croft and Nightcrawler was excellent as well). Of course the costumes should be the centerpiece but your presentation is an example of when you have great costumes, a great skit, humor, choreography, great presentation, etc. The full package!! Nicely done, ladies!!

Dany-Another excellent costume!! Your costumes are always stylish!

Kentelo-Again, nice Van Helsing group! Pics on the way soon.

Hello Kenney-I felt bad about the backup of contestants as well. A few photographers were trying to point that out to the head photographer (Gaius?). Perhaps he was barking out a bit too many orders this year but normally, I think, he does a great job with the photo area and is aware of the back up. I hope the photo area wasn't too intimidating for you cosplayers? At the very least, you'll get to see some photos of yourselves (Mine's coming soon to my Cosplay gallery. Way too many pics to download in one night).

I guess I'm in the minority in thinking that Phil Foglio usually does a great job MCing the masquerade (no throwing rotten tomatoes at me!!). Robert Englund did a much better job that I expected that one year but he may not be available every year. Hello Kenney's suggestion of perhaps Bruce Campbell was an intriguing one. Hearing his panels that weekend, he would be entertaining. The trend at Comic-Con tends to be that Phil does it a couple years, then they try someone else for a year or two, then Phil comes back. They've had some really awful ones over the years and there is nothing worse than a boring MC and, at the very least, Phil Foglio isn't that.

If some of you feel Foglio was out of line, should be more supportive of the contestants, or have any problems about the judging or the whole masquerade process, feel free to drop Martin Jaquish a line. I've found Martin to be a guy who can take constructive criticism and is willing to hear new ideas to improve the masquerade and frequently DOES try new ideas. The Masquerade Review or the Con Talk Back are good ways to have your voices heard at the convention directly. Otherwise a letter or e-mail can be sent.

Ugh!! I just realized how long this post is! Sorry! I was just responding to 6 pages of comments!! Serves me right for getting back from San Diego late!

Again, well done Cosplayers!!!

Dany
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Actually, backstage when Dany was practicing on the practice stage I was kinda worried that you might be pushing the time limit. When you got on stage though, it was a totally different energy and it didn't even seem that long at all. In fact, the way you did it just made it really cool.^_^

Thank you :)

Some fun stuff to know:

-The way that the costume is built, particularly around my arms, is far better for show than for movement. Luckily, I -can- move, but I can't move as well as when I'm not wearing the costume at all.

-I'd made changes to the cloak and shoulder armor attachment that I had yet to rehearse with, so the restriction on my arms was different. Thankfully, it wasn't increased :)

-The hat is also a hazard. The quillons of the sword hit it off my head multiple times during the first few times I rehearsed with it on, so I had to adjust to keep that from happening.

-Have I ever admitted I have near-zero sword experience?

As a result, you didn't see me so much rehearsing the presentation as the swordwork...and yeah, kind of getting into character too. I'm such a method actor sometimes *LOL*

I was sad that the boy who did Beast Boy (and Mojo Jojo the previous year) wasn't there this year, and don't hold your breath Dany for the "Dee" chants next year.

Of course I don't want them chanting "D" next year. ;) Especially if I am up there as something else! I can't always be a star, afterall...that's only when I'm dressed as Jem ;)

Dany
07-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, my next Transformer should be a lot faster... x__x

Hey, we all learn from one costume to the next. I still wanna pick your brain for all the light-up shiny bits that you do. That stuff is amaaaaaaazin' ;)

hello kenney
07-20-2005, 01:26 PM
Hello Kenney-I felt bad about the backup of contestants as well. A few photographers were trying to point that out to the head photographer (Gaius?). Perhaps he was barking out a bit too many orders this year but normally, I think, he does a great job with the photo area and is aware of the back up.

if were talking about the same guy, and im pretty sure we are, yeah he did a great job. he was there almost the entire day making sure the lighting and everything was set up perfect- everything he said and did was only to make sure that we all got great photos.

it would be nice to see him get some help tho. he did all he could- but there really shouldve been at least one more person in a leadership type role during the photos. someone monitoring the line or timing- and for sure someone giving pre-stage instructions to the cosplayers in line. that way he could focus on the important stuff.

Maryssa
07-20-2005, 01:39 PM
It would have been really nice to know that we were supposed to submit separate things (reference etc) to the judges and the craftsmanship people beforehand... just so everyone could have been prepared. Lets hope that we can make sure everyone knows for next year!

Dany
07-20-2005, 02:49 PM
:rofl: It would have been really nice to know that we were supposed to submit separate things (reference etc) to the judges and the craftsmanship people beforehand... just so everyone could have been prepared. Lets hope that we can make sure everyone knows for next year!

Well, I go through a lot with my docs, and one would think that all of the judges would see it. Kind of odd that they wouldn't. *blink*

I know that last year's docs for Mina almost got heisted...I'd left them behind (didn't know how I could get them..learned my lesson from that!) and Martin was going to keep them because he liked what I did so much.

But I'm a crack head and no one should take advice from me on how to do documentation. You'll end up with docs that you work on almost as much as your costume :rofl:

Suzushichan
07-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Oi! i'm sorry, but i have a couple of complaints of my own...
i just got done unpacking all my stuff from the con. i just ralized...THEY MARKED ON MY CD!!! :miffed: usually this wouldn't bother me, because i usually use a burned cd, and/or they put the number on a piece of tape on the cd. but NOOOOOOOO! not this time!!! this was one of my Ayumi c.ds! :blubber: they marked it all up, and it doesn't look good any more. i know that i shouldn't be making a big deal out of this but this was just disrespectful. oh! and to the people WHO WERE ATTEMPTING TO FIX THE LEVIATHAN HEADRESS: you guys got SUPER GLUE in my blue wig...that wig cost $80. please be a bit more careful next time. :o okay?
but anyways, thanks again for all of your support. I can't wait to perform with you guys again. and it looks as though i may have found a roommate after all, so i may not have to leave san diego! so i'll probably be here next year, but we'll see. the name of next year's skit: FCDB cosplay group presents; "Guilty gear! Please select battle slave of yours." :rockon:

Kokuu
07-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Suzushi- are you guys going to be performing with the summons costumes again? I really want to see these incredible costumes that I've been hearing so much about, since sadly I wasn't able to make it to SDCC this year.

Suzushichan
07-20-2005, 07:21 PM
hey kokuu! check out my gallery! there's pictures of our group there! ^_^

AnimeGamer
07-20-2005, 11:05 PM
I'm not gonna bother replying to the people who now hate me. I've said my piece, and all I ask is that you guys stop bashing me and stay *on topic* please. If you wish to send me death threats, do it in PMs now.

the name of next year's skit: FCDB cosplay group presents; "Guilty gear! Please select battle slave of yours." :rockon:

I will definately be looking forward to it. :toothy:

Man, seriously though if everyone I complimented or even accidentally flamed just get better next year... that audience might not even riot anymore! :angel:

I just *worry* for you guys, because most people in that audience believe that:

"I spent six d*** hours in line to watch this and it better not suck f***ing a**!"

and forget that it's people who love to be in costume who are like them up there and not professional actors/dancers/singers. They come for the entertainment value and forget that there are real people up there.

And I think the six hour wait is great, because it shows how much people love to see the Masquerade regardless of the fact they may just spit out negitive words. It may be hypocritical of the crowd, but that's just how the SDCC crowd works. They're honest when they think something sucks; they just suck at expressing that emotion in a non-negitive manner.

Geez, I feel like im juggling fireballs. :juggler:

grandis
07-21-2005, 02:06 PM
Well, better late than never. Just got back from California yesterday and enjoyed the trip thoroughly. Yeah. Hate my job. Love vacation. I have to say that I met so many lovely people at the convention from this site, and I wish that the con had been a little quieter, so I could have hung out with more folks in a quality time sort of way.

I had entered the masquerade mostly to hang back stage and ogle folks' costumes, and there were many, many beautiful ones. I expected no award. I was lucky enough to score the DC award, which was about the only appropriate award for a Golden Age Wonder Woman at SDCC, solo, alone, and packable. I was thrilled.

Because of the nature of the award, I didn't really have the judging difficulties many of you did. A guy from DC decided on me on a whim, given that he had about 4 other entries to choose from. Yes, my costume and performance were good, but the judges weren't responsible for giving me kudos. It was exactly the award I wanted, given the limitations of costuming from a suitcase by yourself.

Observations? I did get workmanship judged. It was a conversation, not really an examination. In my case, that's okay. There were A LOT more elaborate suits that really deserved scrutiny.

So, what did I like? Hanging out with Kell and her good friend (I'm sorry I can't remember her name right now), talking to HCC and seeing those Versailles costumes up close, looking at a ton of good suits, which actually looked nice backstage as well as on. Meeting people, lots of people. I mean, I knew Vampire Hunter D, a couple of the Disney princesses, the court of Versailles, many of the crew from Firefly, and Queen Amidala. How could you go wrong? Seeing people I hadn't seen in a long time. How the masquerade was organized for the most part.

What didn't I like? Phil as MC. After a consultation with the head Den mom, I found out the con likes him. I didn't, for many of the reasons cited in the threads about this topic. Celebrity judges. I never like celebrity judges. Might as well get people who know costumes looking at costumes. Call me crazy, but there you go. Crowd control, or lack thereof. Sound goof ups (which came with apologies) The photography area, so Nemo got some excellent pictures.

At any rate, I had a good time. I'm sorry it wasn't pleasant from an audience perspective. I've been in audiences like that. Maybe one of the companies at the convention could give out promotional earplugs?

Grandis

Christophe
07-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Oi! i'm sorry, but i have a couple of complaints of my own...
i just got done unpacking all my stuff from the con. i just ralized...THEY MARKED ON MY CD!!!

If they used a sharpie or similar pen, try using Windex, 409 or other glass cleaner. Let it set on for a minute if it won't wipe clean easily the first time. It should come right off. Use a soft non-abrasive cloth or paper towel so it won't damage the CD.

If it still doesn't come off, use "goo gone" avalable at jo-anns, walmart, etc. It will break down the ink to nothingness ^__^

Wolfgirl
07-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Well, better late than never. Just got back from California yesterday and enjoyed the trip thoroughly. Yeah. Hate my job. Love vacation. I have to say that I met so many lovely people at the convention from this site, and I wish that the con had been a little quieter, so I could have hung out with more folks in a quality time sort of way.

I had entered the masquerade mostly to hang back stage and ogle folks' costumes, and there were many, many beautiful ones. I expected no award. I was lucky enough to score the DC award, which was about the only appropriate award for a Golden Age Wonder Woman at SDCC, solo, alone, and packable. I was thrilled.

Because of the nature of the award, I didn't really have the judging difficulties many of you did. A guy from DC decided on me on a whim, given that he had about 4 other entries to choose from. Yes, my costume and performance were good, but the judges weren't responsible for giving me kudos. It was exactly the award I wanted, given the limitations of costuming from a suitcase by yourself.

Observations? I did get workmanship judged. It was a conversation, not really an examination. In my case, that's okay. There were A LOT more elaborate suits that really deserved scrutiny.

So, what did I like? Hanging out with Kell and her good friend (I'm sorry I can't remember her name right now), talking to HCC and seeing those Versailles costumes up close, looking at a ton of good suits, which actually looked nice backstage as well as on. Meeting people, lots of people. I mean, I knew Vampire Hunter D, a couple of the Disney princesses, the court of Versailles, many of the crew from Firefly, and Queen Amidala. How could you go wrong? Seeing people I hadn't seen in a long time. How the masquerade was organized for the most part.

What didn't I like? Phil as MC. After a consultation with the head Den mom, I found out the con likes him. I didn't, for many of the reasons cited in the threads about this topic. Celebrity judges. I never like celebrity judges. Might as well get people who know costumes looking at costumes. Call me crazy, but there you go. Crowd control, or lack thereof. Sound goof ups (which came with apologies) The photography area, so Nemo got some excellent pictures.

At any rate, I had a good time. I'm sorry it wasn't pleasant from an audience perspective. I've been in audiences like that. Maybe one of the companies at the convention could give out promotional earplugs?

Grandis

I loved your skit. I wanted to talk more with you but I was stuck in the gargoyle costume wings are hard to move around in :P Least I got to say hello:P

grandis
07-21-2005, 04:07 PM
I loved your skit. I wanted to talk more with you but I was stuck in the gargoyle costume wings are hard to move around in :P Least I got to say hello:P

Thanks! I did stop by long enough to help you with your Kasumi collar on Friday. I was dressed as Lust. You probably knew that. :)

Grandis

Wolfgirl
07-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Thanks! I did stop by long enough to help you with your Kasumi collar on Friday. I was dressed as Lust. You probably knew that. :)

Grandis

*LOL* That was you? I was so tired from walking around with that sword all day and picture picture picture I did'nt notice:P

Dany
07-22-2005, 12:22 AM
*LOL* That was you? I was so tired from walking around with that sword all day and picture picture picture I did'nt notice:P

Hey! That's MY line! *LOL* :D

Wolfgirl
07-22-2005, 02:17 AM
*LOL* your costume is neato Must see more pictures of it. I wanted to take a picture of you but gargoyle wings seem to get in the way of everything *pouts*

Suzushichan
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM
If they used a sharpie or similar pen, try using Windex, 409 or other glass cleaner. Let it set on for a minute if it won't wipe clean easily the first time. It should come right off. Use a soft non-abrasive cloth or paper towel so it won't damage the CD.

If it still doesn't come off, use "goo gone" avalable at jo-anns, walmart, etc. It will break down the ink to nothingness ^__^

heh. thanks. :heart: ^_^

caliph o'clowns
07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Congtrats to all masq. participants...you guys looked amazing. I'ma bit of a lurker usually, but I thought this might amuse : )

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20050721

Dany
07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Oh man. That is SOOOOO wrong!!!!!

Folks, I promise that while I am a method actor/cosplayer sometimes....I won't be setting myself on fire any time soon.

(that was my Mom, once upon a time)

Rogue Marvel
07-22-2005, 03:05 PM
Congtrats to all masq. participants...you guys looked amazing. I'ma bit of a lurker usually, but I thought this might amuse : )

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20050721

O.o

tho i have someone use fire in there skit before, but @_@

Suzushichan
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
heh.heh.heh.. XD

Kitsune-sama
07-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Wow....

^_^ I wanna be on fire now!! *smexy pose with box of matches*

FEEL THE BUUURN

XD

SCLNeptune
07-22-2005, 10:57 PM
this kinda has to do with the masqurade but not really, but did anyone videotap the goblet of fire trailer that they played before the masqurade started? cause I want it!

Dany
07-22-2005, 11:11 PM
this kinda has to do with the masqurade but not really, but did anyone videotap the goblet of fire trailer that they played before the masqurade started? cause I want it!

If they did, people might not announce it openly, as the policy was that videotaping the trailers wasn't allowed ;)

SCLNeptune
07-22-2005, 11:21 PM
ah thats true. But that trailer was teh sex and it made me all *o*

Dany
07-22-2005, 11:23 PM
If I wasn't panicking because I forgot to put on a part of my costume, and said part was in the locked-up dressing room, I probably could have enjoyed it more :(

But nope. I was spazzing out hardcore...

SCLNeptune
07-22-2005, 11:24 PM
it had a quick shot of voldomort...and it showed cho chang...and it showed mad eye moody and and and *o*

Maximus
07-22-2005, 11:39 PM
Were their any .Hackers in the San Diego Comic Con Masquerade?

Karisu-sama
07-23-2005, 12:22 AM
it had a quick shot of voldomort...and it showed cho chang...and it showed mad eye moody and and and *o*
Yes, we know you want a copy of it, but I advise you to wait until the trailer is officially released on the Internet by the movie company. Even if someone DID tape it illegally at SDCC, Cosplay.com will not allow posting such linkage, especially because it was explicitly not sanctioned.

Please don't keep being wistful (and OT) about it here, because this falls under the same policy as "where can I get illegal freebie download Anime links"? IE: It's not allowed on Cosplay.com.

SCLNeptune
07-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Yes, we know you want a copy of it, but I advise you to wait until the trailer is officially released on the Internet by the movie company. Even if someone DID tape it illegally at SDCC, Cosplay.com will not allow posting such linkage, especially because it was explicitly not sanctioned.

Please don't keep being wistful (and OT) about it here, because this falls under the same policy as "where can I get illegal freebie download Anime links"? IE: It's not allowed on Cosplay.com.

okay. sorry

fightstar
07-23-2005, 09:22 PM
I saw a video for the masquerade online at ifilm.com. VERY awsome stuff. I have to know who did the Covenant Elite? I have to know who made this costume because it was outstanding. In the video it don't show much of the covenant elite, but what I saw was just awsome. Anyone have any web links or sites of who the creaters are?

AnimeGamer
07-24-2005, 03:57 AM
You know, I was hanging around the Masquerade booth on friday waiting to finally get my 4-day badge from them. Saw some of the people on the waiting list, and some wanting in as walk-ins.

One walk-in wanted to use fire on stage.

The masquerade staff thought right on spot thought, "Uh, fire? You want to use fire on stage? Not happen'in bud."

Personally, I would've rather not see that comic come to life.

As for the Masquerade video... I have no clue where you can get ahold of the footage. Any linkage is nice. I know that on G4 (or G4TechTV) on the show "Attack of the Show" they had a entire segment devoted to the Masquerade (featuring some of the people on this board) so if they air it again, look out for it.

Suzushichan
07-24-2005, 12:29 PM
hey! i was on that show. ;)

Xaila
07-24-2005, 01:07 PM
hey! i was on that show. ;)

Suzushi da supastar? Wooot!

And that comic is so wrong. So. So. Wrong.

Kitsune-sama
07-24-2005, 01:22 PM
U_U;; It's rather depressing because I love G4, yet I'm outta town and didn't get to see it...*smacks self*

I wish I had a VCR hooked up to my cable box too so I could have recorded it *sigh*

OH WELL!! <3

Suzushichan
07-24-2005, 02:46 PM
^______________________^

Dany
07-24-2005, 05:40 PM
As for the Masquerade video... I have no clue where you can get ahold of the footage. Any linkage is nice. I know that on G4 (or G4TechTV) on the show "Attack of the Show" they had a entire segment devoted to the Masquerade (featuring some of the people on this board) so if they air it again, look out for it.

Well, if someone is able to tape it, I'd love to see it (no cable here, unfortunately!) because..well...yah! It'd be nice!

They're the ones that were doing the interviews after the photo pit, I believe...it'd be nice to see how horrid my interviews turned out.

*LOL*

Wolfgirl
07-24-2005, 07:57 PM
You know, I was hanging around the Masquerade booth on friday waiting to finally get my 4-day badge from them. Saw some of the people on the waiting list, and some wanting in as walk-ins.

One walk-in wanted to use fire on stage.

The masquerade staff thought right on spot thought, "Uh, fire? You want to use fire on stage? Not happen'in bud."

Personally, I would've rather not see that comic come to life.

martan said that he would send us all who where in the masqurade a video tape of it. But we have to send a envelope with a VHS tape in it with postage back and they will tape it on there and send it back to us.

atomic99
07-25-2005, 12:58 AM
According to the Masquerade program, COVENANT ELITE was designed and worn by Matt Asanuma. But then it also lists Matt as having done the GENERAL GRIEVOUS so I don't know which one is accurate?

For any video on ifilm.com or G4, I hope it is nonprofit or they got permission from Martin and the Masquerade? They are real specific about the still photography (which probably applies to the video as well) that it can not be used for profit because of the copyrighted characters and music used. Personal use only.

I saw a video for the masquerade online at ifilm.com. VERY awsome stuff. I have to know who did the Covenant Elite? I have to know who made this costume because it was outstanding. In the video it don't show much of the covenant elite, but what I saw was just awsome. Anyone have any web links or sites of who the creaters are?

atomic99
07-25-2005, 01:09 AM
They're the ones that were doing the interviews after the photo pit, I believe...it'd be nice to see how horrid my interviews turned out.

For the photo area, they have a video camera in the back behind most of the still photographers to capture people on the photo stage. Right after the photostage is a video interview that I've been told goes up onto Comic-Con's television feed (which apparently feeds into whatever offical Comic-Con hotel TV system). I've never seen it but it does exist. Would G4 get their hands on that or were they interviewing past that area?

BTW, there is also at least one official Comic-Con photographer in the photo pit take photos for the next day's update and the convention archives. Most of all the stuff shot throughout the entire con never see's the light of day other than what they print in the updates and souvenir books. I wish they'd get more of that stuff out there for people to see.

And yes, contestants can get a video copy of the Masquerade by mailing a tape with return postage to Martin. They can't sell it because of legal reasons.

Kitsune-sama
07-25-2005, 02:41 AM
Wow, that thing on Ifilm.com was pretty cool ^_^

'Cept they got a bad shot of me walking in the background *groan*

I suppose since it's an official website, they can host movie-stuff like that...??

I dunno, and does anyone have that address to mail the tapes to? u_u;; I didn't get it...

Skie
07-26-2005, 04:16 PM
According to the Masquerade program, COVENANT ELITE was designed and worn by Matt Asanuma. But then it also lists Matt as having done the GENERAL GRIEVOUS so I don't know which one is accurate?

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=631647

According to this post Matt was the guy, he's also listed as having won 3 awards for it on the comic con masquerade page.

http://halo.bungie.org/news.html?item=13648 has links to more images of the suit. Sadly, the guy who made it seems to not have a website. A friend of mine runs a game store, and wants to have some sort of mascot outside drawing in buyers for the xbox 360 release. We already know the larger store nearby will have someone in a Master Chief suit (those things seem to be dime a dozen now), so If we could get this guy to do us a replica of his elite costume we could blow them out of the water. Id also get to keep the costume afterwards, so bonus for me :)

If anyone can help me contact Matt Asanuma asap, Itd be much appreciated :heart:

piwackit
08-02-2005, 05:55 AM
2005-
Covenant Elite. Designed and worn by Matt Asanuma.
General Grievous. Designed and worn by Mike Asanuma.

These were the same two guys who did the full body puppeting in 2003.
A good site to check out who & what: http://sdcc.evilgeniuses.org/Cons/index.html
It's run by Bryan K. Williams. He's usually in the photo area for the Masquerade.
Bryan keeps all his photos up & has an area that you can post info. about for the photos.

piwackit
08-02-2005, 06:33 AM
As to the many other things going on during the Masquerade.
The best thing for everyone to do if they have a particular problem with judges, the MC or how things are handled backstage is to contact Martin directly.
You can get a hold of him via the Con web site. cci-info@comic-con.org

My suggestions: keep your grievances to the point. Give examples of what happened (or didn't happen-like the workmanship judge).
Make your criticisms as impersonal & constructive as you can.
Come up w/a solution to solve the problem if possible.

As to getting people to MC: The con is the biggest event for industry & fans alike. Getting most of the professionals to give up a Saturday (when they could be at a party or dinner) is almost a joke. That does not excuse people who are jerks to the audience, to the contestants backstage or while they are on stage. I personally would like to see someone other than Foglio as the MC. Anyone have any suggestions? Remember, many pros want to be paid to appear & the con does not pay anyone who MC's or judges.

Judges: Yes, I'll have to agree w/lots of people here. The workmanship judge seemed like it was a bother to have to look at everyone who came up to be judged. Backstage this year seemed very chaotic. Want to make a difference? Volunteer to help backstage. ;)

As to the panel judges: Once again it's almost impossible to find people who will give up their Saturday night. They don't get paid for this. On the upside of this is the celebrity judges (like Richard Hatch) are usually more positive in their judging. They are not there to judge friends, or disqualify someone if they are helped by a costumer or work in the film industry. It would be refreshing to have new judges for next year & not the same click.
Anyone here know of pro costumers (or other pros) who would be willing to judge? Email Martin!

One thing that is a disappointment to me is the people who still wear costumes in the Convention center & then wear the same costumes in the Masquerade. With all the people who take photos at the Cons (like EurobeatKing) it's not like no one will know.
Do us a favor & wear something no one has seen in the Masquerade.

On a different note: How many people here think that SDCC should have a professional category for the Masquerade? How about following the same guidelines as some of the CostumeCons do? This may make for better judging & help the first timers not have to compete against those who may have access to equipment the average person does not.

'nuff said!

atomic99
08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
2005-
Covenant Elite. Designed and worn by Matt Asanuma.
General Grievous. Designed and worn by Mike Asanuma.

These were the same two guys who did the full body puppeting in 2003.
A good site to check out who & what: http://sdcc.evilgeniuses.org/Cons/index.html
It's run by Bryan K. Williams. He's usually in the photo area for the Masquerade.
Bryan keeps all his photos up & has an area that you can post info. about for the photos.

It is MIKE & MATT! You're a more careful reader than I. Dopey me, I missed that several times.

Yup, Bryan's got a pretty good site. No 2005 photos yet but I'll keep checking his site for when he gets them uploaded.

atomic99
08-02-2005, 03:50 PM
The best thing for everyone to do if they have a particular problem with judges, the MC or how things are handled backstage is to contact Martin directly.You can get a hold of him via the Con web site. cci-info@comic-con.org

I agree. Martin is very open to constructive criticism. Just come up with some solutions.

Want to make a difference? Volunteer to help backstage. ;)

Before the masquerade started, I heard one of the ladies that works it say they were at least 7 volunteers short because of people that picked up their badge and then blew off the work (but she's got their adresses to track them down in case they try it again). We were short in the photo area as well so volunteers ARE needed!!

On a different note: How many people here think that SDCC should have a professional category for the Masquerade?

Interesting idea. There are some fantastic costumes out there that never make the Masquerade. This would certainly up the level of costumes and enhance the show but, with the Masquerade topping out this year, Martin might not go for it. Doesn't hurt to suggest it though? Maybe a Pro Award?

BTW, I love your behind the scenes pics of your Dawn costume. Do you have any for your Angela/Spawn costumes?

piwackit
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Try this:
http://sdcc.evilgeniuses.org/Cons/2005/Masquerade.html

atomic99
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
BTW, I love your behind the scenes pics of your Dawn costume. Do you have any for your Angela/Spawn costumes?

Opps! Already done! You're too quick!!

Great stuff!

I love the Warlord group! Which are you?

piwackit
08-02-2005, 07:38 PM
Great stuff!
I love the Warlord group! Which are you?

Shakira (the one in the black fur)

piwackit
08-02-2005, 08:03 PM
The judging needs to be set up to ensure that the playing field is balanced, and the way that workmanship judging was handled this year kind of defeats that purpose. If efforts are taken to ensure that ICG guidelines are not being used in name only, then I think such standards could work.

As an alternative to bringing in a judge who works for the movies, the masquerade head might consider soliciting people from the Costumers' Guild. The people are very well-qualified; many have professional credentials and would probably be flattered to judge workmanship if they were asked.

Also, if SDCC does consider adopting ICG guidelines, a judge from the Costumers' Guild would lend credibility to their effort.

The workmanship judge this year was from the SCA. Sorry, didn't catch her name.
The panel judges listed are: Jeanne Clason, Diane Duncan, Dragon Dronet, Wanda Piety, and Richard Hatch.
Hatch was the only celebrity judge.
Dronet & Piety have worked in the prop/costume industry. They have judged for the past several years in a row. :snoring:
Clason & Duncan; sorry, don't remember much about them other than they started off as fans themselves.

I'd personally like to see a new group of judges for the next few years.
As to a Pro category; this would be for people who actually work in or make their living in the Television/Film/Stage or related industries. I know of lots of people who would fit in this category, but won't compete against anyone not working as such since they feel they have an unfair advantage.

I strongly agree that a better workmanship judge needs to be found, but once again, it may be difficult for Martin to find someone.
And for those of you who take the time to put together packets detailing how you went about getting your costume made, don't despair! These are reviewed & sometime that little extra bit helps when making a decision. ;)

C_M_A_P
08-04-2005, 11:53 PM
i feel like i've won the pervert's choice awards or something, heehee. j/k. nice to know that someone liked my costume - for a sick minute there after my performance i thought i was getting booed off stage.
hello kenney got that one right. I ran across some brief clips on ifilm and don't see how anyone could boo, unless wishing for more.

AnimeGamer
08-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Wait...

Psylocke = Ashe?

Wow! I didn't even recognize you! Heck, I didn't even figure this out til now! Wow, gratz and great job! It was in the back of my mind why I didn't see you this year after being KOSMOS last year, and there we have it.
:thumbsup:

Anyway, it's great to see the girl who got me into taking cosplay photos in the first place. (Story another time, another place.) :) I think there are people *still* talking about that psylocke from 2002! =P