PDA

View Full Version : Where to find photographist?

EverEvolvingGrl
07-17-2005, 11:50 PM
Well, I have noticed that lots of cosplayers have very nice, beautiful and well planned out photo shoots. I am wondering, since I don't know any professional or semi-professional photographers, how this is gone about. Who do I ask about taking pictures, inside and out, in costume? The only photoshops around where I live are JCPenny's and Walmart and they don't take the type of portfolio pictures I would like. Also I would like to know how much I should expect to pay for these pictures?

mikazuki
07-18-2005, 12:34 AM
Photographist? Do you mean a photographer?

K U R I
07-18-2005, 01:59 AM
art students are cheap and good. Plus they'll get more into it, just check for a local university or insitute. I would also post on a convention forum (one that you will be attending), its always easy to find people whom will do it for free (like myself).

Watch the credit, if its in your "portfolio" you need permission to use the photograph XP (yeah, even if its you in the photo @__@'' ).

Godly
07-18-2005, 03:09 AM
I don't know about the studio shoots, but there are a good amount of photos that look well-planned and are just taken at conventions with a designated photographer (free and nonfree). You don't have to know anyone to get a photoshoot in a lot of cases as long as you request a booking very early. You can get some good backdrops that way instead of the normal studio bg.

Vicky
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
photographers -_-

EverEvolvingGrl
07-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Oppps! Yes photographers! I was staring at that word for like a half an hour saying, "thats not a word......" but it was late and I was on drugs, and I thought you guys got my point....
So how do I find these "photographers"? Do I just go to the photography department at my college and ask for a cheap photographer? I didn't know that people at cons would do that.... do you mean people like Linus Lam and Eurobeat King?

The Lord XL
07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, I offer my service as a student photographer doing private photoshoots at conventions that I go to. Considering not everything at a convention tickles my fancy when I am not visiting a pannel. So I take photos of my fellow cosplayers to fill up time.

If your going to a convention, ask around in their forums, if they have one, for a photographer. Don't trust the random person though. There are lots of creeps at conventions. Make sure your in a public place if you don't know the person. Just to be safe.

I would like to ask directly at the source at c.com, but they only allow photographers other than staff to post in a "spam" forum that nobody hardly visits. Making it next to impossible to get cosplay models. Its not even like I am carging anything for the photos. Just for cost if they want the photos on a disk. I could go on about my rant, but that is a different thread.

If you don't want photos taken at a convention, just ask at a local college art dept. Just be safe too though. Lots of creeps in college too.

stefaniecat
07-18-2005, 10:35 PM
So how do I find these "photographers"? Do I just go to the photography department at my college and ask for a cheap photographer? I didn't know that people at cons would do that.... do you mean people like Linus Lam and Eurobeat King?

Well, if you ever meet me at a con I'd be glad to do it for you, but the odds are slim since I'm California based and you're Texas...

As far as college art department, I'm not sure if you know any of the professors in the photography department, but you could ask one of them if they could recomend a student or two to you who they thought might be willing to do that (As The Lord XL mentioned, you never can be to sure with people you don't know - take a friend to the shoot with you? - and a Professor recomendation might be useful 'cause they know their students skill level at least, and might even let you put up a flyer in the classroom or something...)

UsagiNoSenshi
07-18-2005, 10:42 PM
heh i was wondering all this myself... I've been looking for a photographer for a while. I have someone i went to art school with taking my pics at otakon one day, but i'd still love enother photograher ^^;It's kind of hard to hire someone since i just want the digital files, not physical photographs.

Vicky
07-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I'd like one as well, mostly because I *am* the photographer of the group. I can't very well be taking my own pics XD
but you gotta take what you can get.

Ami Yuy
07-18-2005, 11:12 PM
I'd like one as well, mostly because I *am* the photographer of the group. I can't very well be taking my own pics XD
but you gotta take what you can get.

Lol, exactly my problem. ^^;;

ainslye
07-19-2005, 06:37 AM

hello kenney
07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
im wondering what sort of portfolio you are building? if it is for modeling or headshots- you positively wont want cosplay photos if thats the case.

if its more of a fashion design or personal portfolio- im sure you can find someone at a con to do it for free. youve been going to cons since 1999- so you must recognize at least a few of the regular con photographers and have seen thier work. there is no harm in asking them if they do free shoots- 95% of them are there shooting pictures all day for free anyways. youre a young girl so just look for an older creepy bearded photographer type (again, someone that you have seen before and are familiar with his reputation.)

EverEvolvingGrl
07-22-2005, 11:14 PM
See? I'm happy I asked now that othere people wonder the same thing. No no, I'm not building a modeling portfolio, just a cosplay portfolio. I wanted just nice shots of my costumes, with different poses, appropriate back grounds and such. But thank you all for your advice! I am going to do alot of what was suggested, thank you.

Cynthia
07-30-2005, 06:06 PM
Well, I offer my service as a student photographer doing private photoshoots at conventions that I go to. Considering not everything at a convention tickles my fancy when I am not visiting a pannel. So I take photos of my fellow cosplayers to fill up time.

If your going to a convention, ask around in their forums, if they have one, for a photographer. Don't trust the random person though. There are lots of creeps at conventions. Make sure your in a public place if you don't know the person. Just to be safe.

I would like to ask directly at the source at c.com, but they only allow photographers other than staff to post in a "spam" forum that nobody hardly visits. Making it next to impossible to get cosplay models. Its not even like I am carging anything for the photos. Just for cost if they want the photos on a disk. I could go on about my rant, but that is a different thread.

If you don't want photos taken at a convention, just ask at a local college art dept. Just be safe too though. Lots of creeps in college too.

I do actually read the spam forum (it's my fav forum on here for just the reason that you can post anything on here).

For those looking for models or photogs, please pm me. I know of sites you should try, and possibly people already in your area (I've had lots of photogs contact me through a recent post of helping them find cosplayers in their area).

Also, I wouldn't nothing but cosplay photos in my modeling portfolio (a cache of photos shown to agencies and prospective clients), but having them in your online portfolio, etc. is fine (just look at Yaya's stuff). Cosplay has become WAY more acceptable with photographers and some clients in general with it appearing on America's Next Top Model, G4TV, & MTV (and next week, HBO). I've gotten to work with photographers I wouldn't have been able to work with had I not been cosplaying.

If you find a photographer you like who's non-cosplay, then ask for TFP (time for print). It basically means that they get your time as a model, and in exchange, you get prints (or a cd with the finished images on it). You'll have to sign a standard release saying you're of age, you consent to having your pictures taken, etc. I have never paid for photos (even thought with TFP it's asked occasionally that the cost of development be divided between both parties).

PinSakura
07-30-2005, 09:41 PM
Go to a local photograph store and you should see an ad for "head Shots"

Though they're not full body, (duh, head shot) they're good photographs.

It'll cost about 100 bucks.

Good luck. =D

Or! You can ask a friend to help you photograph and force him/her to take interesting shots. then edit them in Photoshop. That's what I'd do.

Efecss
08-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Lol, exactly my problem. ^^;;

I also have the same problem in tyring to photograph myself. If I ask anyone in my family to focus my camera or even press the shutter button, I think their heads would explode.

If you have an SLR or regular film camera, there is a solution. An extended cable release. It's a squeeze bulb on the end of a 50 foot roll of 1/4 nch tubing, that has an attachment that goes on the shutter release for your camera. You can hold it out of view, or set the bulb on the ground and stomp on it with your foot, and a puff of air will send a small metal piston into your shutter release button, and take the picture for you.

I have had two, mainly because if you don't use it quite often, they dry up and the ends become brittle.

You could get an electronic remote, but that would cost like $125 atleast.

And all my photography friends are atleast 75 miles from me.

photoworks.ws
09-04-2005, 01:51 AM
There are a couple of sites that I would recommend. onemodelplace.com and modelmayhem.com . There are lots of photographers who might be interested in cosplay costumes because they add a creative dimension to their portfolio. Many photographers will do it TFP (time for photographs), basically the model trading their time for the photographers skill and prints (or CD).

Read through the FAQs so you don't make a fool of yourself. Be aware that if you're wanting it done free (ie, TFP), you most likely will need to be female and attractive. But that describes most of the successful models on these sites anyway. Use the search tool and look for cosplay related threads in the forums. There are lots of other modeling sites but OMP is the largest and I find MM the best with respect to a higher ratio of people who are serious about modeling.

I know several photographers who are on cosplay.com simply because they scout for people who might make good models and incorporate cosplay costumes. They are interested in creative photography and cosplay costumes fit into that nicely. That's why I'm here! -- Curt