PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Cosplay Challenge

Jakotsu_sama
07-18-2005, 11:38 PM
http://www.kakumeimedia.com/canadian/

This is a contest for Canadians who wish to compete in a little friendly cosplay competition. Think of it as Canada's own lil Cosplay Summit.

Have fun. ^_^

heki-chan
07-19-2005, 03:25 AM
http://www.kakumeimedia.com/canadian/

This is a contest for Canadians who wish to compete in a little friendly cosplay competition. Think of it as Canada's own lil Cosplay Summit.

Have fun. ^_^

I'm just curious...

"Please send in your name, age, city & province, scanned proof of citizenship,a brief write up on each costume which includes construction notes, character and series name for each costume, and any other information you would like to tell us. We will not post your full name on this website, however, if you wish to include a nickname simply include it in your e-mail. "

Isn't it illegal and/or not a good idea to scan our citzenship cards and send them electronically to a third party organization? O_O

Other than that, sounds funky! :)

KurosakiHisoka
07-19-2005, 03:51 AM
I'm just curious...

"Please send in your name, age, city & province, scanned proof of citizenship,a brief write up on each costume which includes construction notes, character and series name for each costume, and any other information you would like to tell us. We will not post your full name on this website, however, if you wish to include a nickname simply include it in your e-mail. "

Isn't it illegal and/or not a good idea to scan our citzenship cards and send them electronically to a third party organization? O_O

Other than that, sounds funky! :)

We clarified the ID thing a little bit. :)

nuriko001
07-19-2005, 05:48 AM
is it that serious that you need to show iD???

KurosakiHisoka
07-19-2005, 06:15 AM
is it that serious that you need to show iD???

Yes because it's hard to know the difference between a Canadian, American, and many other nationalities just by looking at them. To keep it a fair (and Canadian) competition, we'd like to see ID. :)

Vicky
07-19-2005, 10:03 AM
*For proof of citizenship please scan an item such as a student card, care card, birth certificate or any other form of Canadian ID. We realize this may seem a little extreme, but we want to make sure that all participants are Canadian citizens. We will not use your personal information in any way! WOW I hope people don't actually enter for this.
A student card doesn't prove you're a Canadian CITIZEN, for starters. It proves you attend school in Canada. I can be an American citizen and attend a Canadian College.

Legal documentations aren't something I'd suggest anyone throw around the Internet.
I'll keep mine, and my identity, thanks.

edit Also, I'm not one to measure someone's knowledge by their age, but from what I gather this is a couple of 18-23 year olds? No thanks!

kuko-chan
07-19-2005, 10:44 AM
I don't know...it sounded pretty cool at first, but Heki and Yohko bring up a good point. I never thought of it like that.
If this was being held somewhere, like in studios or malls across Canada (malls have fashion shows too, however they are sponsered by the stores in the mall) I might reconsider, but sending out personal information, especially with threat of identity theft, seems too risky for my liking. Besides, I'm sure there are many better cosplayers out there than me. :P

shdwstrm
07-19-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know...it sounded pretty cool at first, but Heki and Yohko bring up a good point. I never thought of it like that.
If this was being held somewhere, like in studios or malls across Canada (malls have fashion shows too, however they are sponsered by the stores in the mall) I might reconsider, but sending out personal information, especially with threat of identity theft, seems too risky for my liking. Besides, I'm sure there are many better cosplayers out there than me. :P

I was doing a bit of digging around. With the request of copies of personal information without a proper consent form also being applied is definetly frowned upon in accordance to the Canadian Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. Upon further look at the site running the canadian cosplay competition, it's just a group of cosplayers setting this up and have any links whatsoever to worldcon or any other national or international costuming organization. I personaly wouldn't reccomend doing it.

I'm not taking a stab at the people trying to set up this competition. I think it's a good idea, but you haveta look at this from a legal stand too. I don't want to see people getting in throuble. What I can suggest is that you create a consent form and have that submitted by snail-mail. I know it sounds like a pain in the butt, but anyone can type a person's name and say it's them, with a hand signed consent, you have indefinete proof that it is them.

KurosakiHisoka
07-19-2005, 02:38 PM

This is just starting out as an online competition in order to advertise, but we intend on holding a live version of it at AE 2006 and Anime North 2006 with permission from the convention. If the ID is such a deterrent, perhaps you have some suggestions for how we can be sure entrants are Canadian?

Truly I don't see what our ages have to do with it. The members of Kakumei have been attending conventions for years, have participated in over 10 cosplay competitions, and the members range from 16-28. We are trying to hold a legitimate contest in order to give Canadians a chance to show off their cosplay skills. How old do you have to be in order to hold an online contest and distribute prizes? Also, what do you think we could do with a scanned copy of your ID? If a photocopy mail in system is preferable, we can arrange that as well. Or, perhaps only the winners need to prove citizenship to claim their prizes. There are several options, but kindly don't bash this competition on the grounds that we aren't older people. That is a very prejudice statement.

"WOW I hope people don't actually enter for this.
A student card doesn't prove you're a Canadian CITIZEN, for starters. It proves you attend school in Canada. I can be an American citizen and attend a Canadian College."

We do realize this, however, we also can't expect thirteen year olds to have government issued ID. We will honestly look into alternatives on the ID front, but please don't discourage people from entering simply because you have an unfounded hunch that we are some sort of scam organization. We all attend conventions with fellow anime fans, so we would most certainly not want to red flag ourselves by conducting illegal activities. It isn't as though we are asking for money or any sort of profit from the contestants. Just proof that they are citizens of the country this is being held for.

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions, we value what you have to say in regards to this contest.

shdwstrm
07-19-2005, 03:28 PM
The question with the scanned ID is that your full name, address, and other personal information (health card number, Drivers Licence number.) for any of us that is old enough to own a credit card, that information can be used in identity theft. I'm not saying that you would do it, but there are scummy people in the world that hack, and go through people's trash looking for that kind of information. Can I make a suggestion though??? How about anyone that does scan thier ID, blacken out in a paint program their Healthcard number, DL number, their actual street address and postal code. You'll still get the basic information you'll need for citizenship proof (the scan with the name, and city of the person entering.)

I'm happy to see that you are taking everyone's questions and concern to heart.

KurosakiHisoka
07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
The question with the scanned ID is that your full name, address, and other personal information (health card number, Drivers Licence number.) for any of us that is old enough to own a credit card, that information can be used in identity theft. I'm not saying that you would do it, but there are scummy people in the world that hack, and go through people's trash looking for that kind of information. Can I make a suggestion though??? How about anyone that does scan thier ID, blacken out in a paint program their Healthcard number, DL number, their actual street address and postal code. You'll still get the basic information you'll need for citizenship proof (the scan with the name, and city of the person entering.)

I'm happy to see that you are taking everyone's questions and concern to heart.

We've updated it again. Currently, only the winners need proof of citizenship to claim their prizes. They can send in a photocopy of their ID as that way it can't be used illegally by anyone. We will only require their address in order to ship out the prizes.

This isn't directed at anyone specifially, but just out of curiousity, why is there prejudice against us for being cosplayers? Does that make us incapable of hosting a contest? If anything, we thought it would be better than a bunch of older people who know nothing about cosplay holding this contest. When you look at the kind of bias shown at the cosplay summit, I'm sure you would agree that the judging was unfair. Being fellow cosplayers gives us common ground with the contestants, which we thought would be a positive thing. We are truly sorry that this fact seems to be detrimental :(

ZiggyB
07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
IMHO I don't see that anyone is saying you can't hold a cosplay contest. It's just the fact that you are asking for ID (and proof of citizenship) just to participate. I don't know about you and but I am very careful when giving out personal information. My Driver's License number, passport number, or my social security number.

Unless you are a police officer, government official, customs agent or a loan officer I am not giving out that information to anyone.

I've seen department stores ask for a Social Security number when buying a pair of shoes. The patrons correctly refused and left.

You may not think it's a big deal, but identity thieft is a very real problem.

However, with the changes you've made in your forms, hopefully this will become a non-issue and the contest can continue without farther problems.

Again, IMHO, I really don't know why you need to require that all entrants need to have Canadian citizenship, but it's your contest and you write the rules.

Amy the Yu
07-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I find the idea of a nationwide cosplay contest very interesting, but I really like shdwstrm's suggestion.

It hasn't appeared as a huge problem in Canada (comparitively), but since I've worked and lived in Philadelphia for the past 3 summers, I've learned that identity theft is a big issue here. I've been advised to carry as little ID on me as possible and when I first got my SSN (social security number) here, I was actually told to memorize my SSN and either hide the card well, or put it in a safe deposit box somewhere. At one point, I was even told that since I won't be using it too much if I plan to stay in Canada for the next several years, I should consider memorizing the number and shredding the card altogether, to make absolute sure that no one else will ever get their hands on my card.

Not that there's much likelihood, but even if I did win anything in the contest, I wouldn't want to send photocopies or scans of any piece of ID I have that's government issued unless the most important parts (ie. SIN #, Passport #, driver's license #) are blacked out completely as shdwstrm suggested.

Also, I'd like to add that it's hard to prove citizenship with most pieces of ID. Aside from student ID's (of which I have several from various schools not in Canada even though I've only attended U of Waterloo as a student), SIN# and Driver's licenses also don't provide proof of citizenship. Either can be obtained as long as you live in Canada.

I would think that the only things to prove indefinitely that you are indeed Canadian would be the same as accepted by Customs and Border Protection, which are (and I go by the lenient Canada/USA land border versions):
Driver's license + birth certificate
Driver's license + citizenship card
Passport

Not sure if anyone would/should be willing to supply any of those to people they don't know, so it would be rather hard on you to get proof of people's Canadian-ness. ^^;;

Jo_Canadian
07-20-2005, 06:09 AM
wondering something. if i was to use my blood donar card...which has my adress, age and bloodtype on it along with my student id, which has my photo, my name and school adress on it it would it be considered decent id. i cant see why it wouldnt you have my ag and proof of canadian citizenship...also my blood type....what more would you want then that...i cant give you my soul

Squall1882
07-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Just wondering how absolutely essential the picture of the back of the costume is... cause I have a lot of pics from previous cons, but I can't really say that anyone ever took a pic of the back of my costume.. My haircolour was different back then too so it's not like I can just put on the costume and retake some either... There is no way I'll have 4 new good costumes between now and October, and none of the other competitions I've entered ever asked for a back pic.. ahahahahha.. there was no way to prepare... can we still enter with two interesting shots (not necessarily one front and one back??)

Vicky
07-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I am happy to hear that you guys are changing the contest around, but I'm going to agree with Ziggy. I don't just throw my legal documentation around. I'm not saying that I think you guys would do it, but I'm not saying that it's safe with you either.
And like I said, I'm not one to say your age measures your knowledge, but I certainly didn't get *any* kind of impression that this was a serious issue so much as just a couple of cosplayers wanting to do something cool. It IS a great idea~! And all the power to you. But again, legal documentation = not a good idea. Otherwise I wouldn't have said anything ;P

Hopefully you can find alternative methods to continue the contest.
Good luck! I await to hear the results.

KurosakiHisoka
07-20-2005, 02:27 PM
wondering something. if i was to use my blood donar card...which has my adress, age and bloodtype on it along with my student id, which has my photo, my name and school adress on it it would it be considered decent id. i cant see why it wouldnt you have my ag and proof of canadian citizenship...also my blood type....what more would you want then that...i cant give you my soul

Something like that would be just fine. The rules have changed so that you only need to have proof of citizenship if you win. That way it isn't such a big deal. Also, for the people who do win, you can blot out any information on the photocopy you do not wish to share in order to avoid the worry of identity theft or other problems.

Just wondering how absolutely essential the picture of the back of the costume is... cause I have a lot of pics from previous cons, but I can't really say that anyone ever took a pic of the back of my costume.. My haircolour was different back then too so it's not like I can just put on the costume and retake some either... There is no way I'll have 4 new good costumes between now and October, and none of the other competitions I've entered ever asked for a back pic.. ahahahahha.. there was no way to prepare... can we still enter with two interesting shots (not necessarily one front and one back??)

We'll take as many views as you can offer, and we will adjust the rules so the back picture is not manditory. Give us as much as you can. ^^

I am happy to hear that you guys are changing the contest around, but I'm going to agree with Ziggy. I don't just throw my legal documentation around. I'm not saying that I think you guys would do it, but I'm not saying that it's safe with you either.
And like I said, I'm not one to say your age measures your knowledge, but I certainly didn't get *any* kind of impression that this was a serious issue so much as just a couple of cosplayers wanting to do something cool.

The ID policy has been changed, and quite a bit of leniency given. As for the "couple of cosplayers trying to do something cool". Yeah, that *is* what the contest started out as originally. However, it was more than a "couple cosplayers" and it is definitely a serious competition regardless of who we are or how old we are. We are in the process of attaining more sponsorship from various companies, and we are pushing to make this a live and recognized convention event. If this online trial run is successful, cosplayers can look forward to trying out for it in person next year.

Thanks to all who made suggestions so far!

kuko-chan
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Well, I for one, never meant my comment to be any sort of flame or bash. Like I said, this sound interesting, but I get yelled at by my parental units for putting my PICTURE on the net, let alone emailing personal information across the net. I'm not saying you guys would do anything to it, I'm more concerned about hackers who hear about this competition and they decide to try and intercept or hack people's emails. Hey, you guys seem alright, but it's the sneaky people I don't trust.

However, now that the rules and requirements have been changed, I'll reconsider. I would love to see how my sewing skills compare with others. ^___^

CardCaptorRyuu
10-11-2005, 03:11 AM
CANADIAN COSPLAY CHALLENGE SPONSORERED BY ADV FILMS

The Canadian Cosplay Challenge is now sponsored by ADV Films-- which means more prizes! Enter your best costumes by October 31st!

Good Luck!

CardCaptorRyuu
11-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Contest's due date has extended to November 30th. You still have a chance to enter and win some cool prizes, as well as the title of one of the best cosplayer in Canada! ^.^

featherweight
11-12-2005, 01:42 AM
Contest's due date has extended to November 30th. You still have a chance to enter and win some cool prizes, as well as the title of the best cosplayer in Canada! ^.^

i'm not downing on your contest or anything its just it seems abit high and mighty to be giving out a title like "best cosplayer in canada" i mean its just one little contest not like its run by the candain gov or has every cosply in canada competing or something just seems alittle howle to me..... not sayign the winner wouldn't be a grand campion i just don't think the mighty title of "THE BEST" should be thrown around lightly

CardCaptorRyuu
11-12-2005, 02:11 AM
i'm not downing on your contest or anything its just it seems abit high and mighty to be giving out a title like "best cosplayer in canada" i mean its just one little contest not like its run by the candain gov or has every cosply in canada competing or something just seems alittle howle to me..... not sayign the winner wouldn't be a grand campion i just don't think the mighty title of "THE BEST" should be thrown around lightly

Please note that the site says "and the title of ONE of the best cosplayers in Canada". That is the direct quote copied off of the page. That seems like a fair title to be able to give. No one can ever be given the title of "the best" fairly, but ONE of the best is reasonable. Sorry if my post sounded wrong, I didn't think about how it would sound before I wrote it. The official site is what counts overall.

Kaijugal
11-13-2005, 01:53 AM
This is just starting out as an online competition in order to advertise, but we intend on holding a live version of it at AE 2006 and Anime North 2006 with permission from the convention. If the ID is such a deterrent, perhaps you have some suggestions for how we can be sure entrants are Canadian?

Hello,

I'm the head of Masquerade/Cosplay at Anime North and also a member of the executive and I don't recall as of yet hearing any proposal of this sort.

As of now we are well into planning the 2006 programming for Anime North. If you are serrious about this and have already sent a proposal please cc to me any requests/proposals you have made so far.
Thank you.

As for your question about I.D. I feel that clearly stating that the contest is for Canadians only should solve a majority of your problems. Why not state that the winners will be contacted in advance of the actual announcement and be required to show proof of citizenship at that time or be disqualified?

Personally my suggestion to you is, if you want to make this a serrious event, talk to a lawyer and get all the facts and cover your butts. Suprisingly it shouldn't be very expensive and could save you alot of grief in the long run.

I don't feel that scanning I.D. a putting it online is very wise, particularly in the age of identity theft and doubly so at the age some of the people here are. It's just not wise.

I have no doubt that armed with the right information you can make
your event work.

Good Luck.

KurosakiHisoka
11-13-2005, 05:15 AM
http://www.kakumeimedia.com/canadian/ID.jpg

"... and request that you black out all personal information aside from your name and photo."

This is what we had in mind. We do not want to see anyone's personal information, we simply want to verify citizenship (address was left on here as we have to contact the winners this way for prizes anyhow).

AN '06 turned out not to be an option to run this event live, so we haven't submitted an application. Anime Evolution is still being considered, though we're a bit unsure as of yet. However, thank you for the advice.