PDA

View Full Version : Crossplay

MyuMyu
05-13-2002, 08:13 PM
ive officially decided that i will never be whole unless i crossplay to AX *laugh* ive got my nice arrangement of female charas (Anna from Shaman King, Christie from tekken 4, and Noise from AS) but i need a guy to cosplay.... i feel oddly compelled to do it *laugh*. Any suggestions? :thumbsup:

Rosiel
05-13-2002, 08:39 PM
> Any suggestions?

Any series / genre / type of clothes you like to wear?
But... most importantly... any pictures of you? (So we can come up with a character who looks like you!)

As a general guideline, when you crossplay you need to look at two major things:

1) Your assets. If you're big-chested, it's better to find a character with either a cape, armor, or dark colored top. (that is something to hide your chest) Light color fitted tops will make it obvious you're not the right gender.

2) Your hips. Wide hips give you away really fast. So if you do have wide hips, you need to find hip-concealing clothes (ex: I chose my Dragonslayer outfit because the A-line black "skirt " hid my hips completely).

OK I lied, there are 3.

3) How delicate and femmy are you? The more you are, the more you should go for a short-haired male character, because long hair will emphasize your femininity, while short hair will make you look more boyish.

Make that 4.

4) Avoid sleveless outfits, unless you have nicely toned arms or are cosplaying a particularily effeminate man (read: people like Nuriko from Fushigi Yuugi).

Obviously I have thought wayyyy too much about this.

Philia Philis
05-13-2002, 08:51 PM
Ahh! MyuMyu! Be Milich from Suikoden! He's a guy! Erm... sorta. ^^;;;;

Rosiel, how many Ace bandages are good to use? I've heard two or three are best, but is that really necessary?
Also, where the heck are people buying these things? The only ones I've seen are self-adhering. ;__; And do I get the 4", or smaller?

Rosiel
05-13-2002, 09:01 PM
> Rosiel, how many Ace bandages are good to use? I've heard two or three are best, but is that really necessary?

I generally use one. But then, I am small to begin with.
Two might be best, three is overkill unless you're really huge I guess (I would not know I can see my shoes plainly >__>).

> Also, where the heck are people buying these things?

CVS. ^___^

> The only ones I've seen are self-adhering. ;__;

THAT is the kind you WANT. They stay on great and won't shift as much as the normal kind. I'd recommend safety-pinning the ends though.

> And do I get the 4", or smaller?

*runs around looking for measuring tape*
Inches! Inches! Crazy americans! ;)
*finds the tape*
*looks*

I use 4 inches. Although the wider (within reason) the better.

Oh and wear a sportsbra underneath, then it won't hurt as much when you remove them... >_< I always forget to and end up with the weave of the bandages branded in me for a few hours.

Philia Philis
05-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Ohhh! I thought the adhesive ones were bad! NOW I know what to get! Yaaaay! :D I guess I'll start out with two and see if I need any more. Probably not, though. Ehehehe. ^^;;;

Kenshin Ken
05-13-2002, 11:07 PM
^^;; girls have it so easy when it comes to Crossplaying ^^;;

I do NOT intend to crossplay anytime soon ^^; you'd have to drug me and drag me into one ^^;;

there was ONE incident hwere I had to wear something femmy......okay make that 2.. but those were DARES ^^;;

MyuMyu
05-14-2002, 12:24 AM
Rosiel, you really do rule heaven ;) when are you online? *pikku* hehe.. im short and big breasted, wah *laugh* good for cosplaying chicks, not so good for vice versa. but its easily hid ^_^ (hooray for ace bandages!!!)

pics wise, theres a few on my cosplay groups page
( http://www.angelfire.com/anime2/crazyotaku/index.html ) you would find me under glompy amelia :D (ah, fond old nicknames ^_^;; ). i look WIERD in my ocarina costume @.@ *BURNS it* blah.. i swear one of these days i'll have my own cosplay site up *laugh*

hmm... im not really biased one way or another as far as series/genres, but im not too great of a seamstress and i like gothic shoujo manga --- how bad of a combo is that?:rolleyes:

Kenshin Ken: dont say such things or ill be forced to stick you in a dress ^_________~ fufufu

Kenshin Ken
05-14-2002, 12:56 AM
wah @_o * g takes a head start now* NO DRESS THINGIES!!!!!! ^^;;;;

Rosiel
05-14-2002, 09:03 AM
Kenshin Ken:

> ^^;; girls have it so easy when it comes to Crossplaying ^^;;

I don't think so... we squish the top and pad the bottom, and you do the opposite. ^___^ And at least you can breathe properly.

> I do NOT intend to crossplay anytime soon ^^; you'd have to drug me and drag me into one ^^;;

I always wondered why men were so against it... true, pants are now an acceptable means of dress for women, and skirts still aren't for men unless you're Scottish but... from my male friend's rambles it seems it's more of a pride issue. >___>

I don't get it...

-------
Myu-Myu

> im not really biased one way or another as far as series/genres, but im not too great of a seamstress and i like gothic shoujo manga

Hmm... I will have to think about it... I mean gothic shoujo generally means really tall anorexic men.

Yami no Matsuei has some gorgeous designs, and Hisoka and Hijiri are short with a pretty face just like you so there is potencial there.

You could make a /cute/ Kamui from X too.

Or Ryu-Oh from RGVeda! Although his face is a little too chubby.

Hmm... I need to think about this more...

Oh and I love your hair! I always wanted to have curly hair!

Kenshin Ken
05-14-2002, 10:29 AM
hmm.. ^^; well for guys crossplaying, I belive that it's the issue of feelign comfetable ^^; it may be a pride thing for guys against cross dressing.. but it's also another matter for what's dnagling between a guy's legs ^^; wearinga skirt tends to make ( at least me) us guys feel a little "too" drafty.. ^^:;

I have seen some guys crossplay... usually they're crossplaying characters that look unisex..( for example.. J-rock cosplayers.. I've seen quite a few ^^;; ) However.. I have heard of exceptions..^^;; Rumors of a salior " moon" troupe have been floating around to my knowlage since 99' a group of fat..hairy...ugly men that dress up as salior moon characters... walk on high heels... wearing their costumes that are much MUCH too small for em...^^:;; you get the picture....

Me and Yuffie also saw a pair of Pretty sammy crossplayers doing a skit at AX last year..^^;; a rather scary sight to see...

Ali-kun
05-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Aaagh, do not talk about scary hairy fat male Sailor Moon crossplayers! *keels over and DIES*

...no offense to anyone on this board who happens to be a scary hairy fat male Sailor Moon crossplayer XD

The trouble with guys crossplaying is that it's easy to find feminine-but-male anime characters, who look enough like females anyway that having a bound girl playing them looks quite normal... guys tend to be too not-pretty to look right *cries* Oh, woe is Ali, who wishes ALL guys were pretty!
Some conversation today led to our exchange student saying I would make an ugly guy, and I said he was wrong, that if I were I guy I would be PRETTY. And Mom said that that's not necessarily a compliment and I just kinda looked at her funny...of course it's a compliment!

Ali would be -sooo- happy if there were more guys in this world pretty enough to crossplay really really well! XD As it is, kudos to you guys who may not look like girls but do it anyway! Yay!

Arr. Speaking of binding, I need a new bandage. I've been using an old ACE bandage, about 6" wide (that's 15cm ;P) that was left from my knee operation, but it smells of iodine. Even after sticking it through the washer a couple times. *pokes at it* Anyone know how to make something stop smelling of iodine? ^^;;;
I may just go to Walgreens across the street and see if I can't get myself a new one.

Haha. I am happy that I have a small chest ;P Some girl at school mistook me for a guy and I wasn't even TRYING...I had my hair tied back low like a male's long hairstyle, and wearing a pair of guy shorts but not binding or anything...
Ironically, I was also wearing my seme shirt ^_^v (even if I cannot ATTEND Yaoicon, I shall support it! Woo!)

MyuMyu
05-14-2002, 09:20 PM
Ali - damn straight. I wanna seme shirt!!! XDXD *laugh*

Kenshin - well there's always the tuck.... ^_~

Rosiel --

>Hmm... I will have to think about it... I mean gothic shoujo generally means really tall anorexic men.

and dont i know it *sniffle* but SO pretty *_* so i stick to gothic shoujo females and im fine *laugh*

>Yami no Matsuei has some gorgeous designs, and Hisoka and Hijiri are short with a pretty face just like you so there is potencial there.

*squeak* forgot bout YnM *_* .. and thank you!! O^^O

>You could make a /cute/ Kamui from X too.

Oh, i can see me pouting already XD *laugh* i always loved making fun of Camui. *looks @ YnM piccies*

>Or Ryu-Oh from RGVeda! Although his face is a little too chubby.

........who??? o.o so very very very lost....

>Oh and I love your hair! I always wanted to have curly hair!

Thanks o^^o i hate it :) Ill trade you hair!!!! XD i always wanted straight hair.. o.O

MyuMyu
05-14-2002, 09:45 PM
..and upon looking at RGVeda pics, Ashura is damn cute XDXD **random**

Ayaka
05-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Ashura IS damn cute. lol.

And for crying out loud, DO use the adhesive ace bandages. I thought (for some obscure reason) that I shouldn't use those, and, well . . . um. I kinda fell out of my bandage a few times. *blushes fiercely* Luckily it wasn't obvious . . . but make absolutely sure those babies are BOUND and not going anywhere before you head out the door.

Err, related question . . . I was wearing a long coat, so I didn't, uh, pad. Do most crossplayers do that for skimpier outfits?

MyuMyu
05-15-2002, 12:34 AM
Speaking of padding..............

im totally clueless on the subject =D

Ali-kun
05-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by MyuMyu
Ali - damn straight. I wanna seme shirt!!! XDXD *laugh*

>Hmm... I will have to think about it... I mean gothic shoujo generally means really tall anorexic men.

and dont i know it *sniffle* but SO pretty *_* so i stick to gothic shoujo females and im fine *laugh*

*teehee* I love my shirt ^_~ Gonna use it to find spiffy people at college o.o

Hmm, I don't know if I've ever heard the term 'gothic shoujo'...what kinda titles does that cover? I've always thought my Alichino manga looked rather gothic but I never thought to put it in a genre specifically called that ^_^ (*worships Shurei-sensei*)

On padding...as in lower regions...I have never thought to do that o.o Do people who go for realism often do it? Heh...I have often thought that some tight-leather-pants wearing crossplayer might look a little weird, but.. *shrugs*

MyuMyu
05-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Well gothic shoujo includes things like Angel Sanctuary and, yes, Alichino. I love both titles ^______^ Alichino's pretty obscure though ;-; howd you come across it??

Rosiel
05-16-2002, 01:35 PM
> On padding...as in lower regions...I have never thought to do that o.o Do people who go for realism often do it? Heh...I have often thought that some tight-leather-pants wearing crossplayer might look a little weird, but.. *shrugs*

LOL

Well my rule of thumb is if it doesn't show, no need.
But my Akon costume consisting of very tight black pants... I will.

It's not only about being realistic-looking but also because it forces you to change the way you walk to accomodate. LOL So it helps to avoid the "femmy" walk which will pass for some flaming characters but not for more manly ones.

It also has the added advantage of making all of your friends laugh uncontrollably when they see you. ^___^

Ayaka
05-16-2002, 02:17 PM
lol. Changing the walk + hysterical laughter? Sounds like a worthy combination to me. ^^ I guess when I have the appropriate situation, I'll go for it.

Hah there needs to be like a "Crossplay 101" article somewhere . . .

Mei Lan Chang
05-16-2002, 03:44 PM
Oh! But Kenshin, you would look absolutly ADORABLE in a dress! Juuuust kidding. I've never cross dressed before, I think I would look silly. I'm rather a bit big bossomed, short, and am on the skinny side. This will work fabulous with my Rei Ayanami plug suit, but might look a little deflating if I tried to be Goku. Myu Myu, I think you should go as...as....hmmm...dunno! There are so many to choose from! Maybe Trieze from Gundam Wing, or Ranma! If your ace bandage come undone, you could just say you got splashed with cold water! ^_^

peacecraft
05-16-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm working on a crossplay Excel-saga costume, but luckily it avoids me having to wear a skirt. I've just gotta figure out how not to look like I've got tiny snake hips.

Here's to hopeing I don't end up massacring my legs with a razor.

*fingers crossed for luck*

Rosiel
05-16-2002, 04:23 PM
> Hah there needs to be like a "Crossplay 101" article somewhere . . .

I talk about it so much maybe I should write one of those... LOL
Maybe I could annoy Justin into writing the boy-to-girl side of things...

Michi
05-18-2002, 01:59 AM
w00000000000 crossplay.

Justin MADE me pad the lower part at Animagic when I was Kuja. x_X

Anyways. Crossplay is fun. Ace bandages work well for strapping down.. and I've done mostly femmy men, so I can't say much about trying to look male..

Am I giving anything intelligent and helpful to this topic? ...no. ^^; *runs off*

Ayaka
05-18-2002, 08:04 PM
Rosiel - you should definitely write that article. XD There's nothing like that anywhere, to my knowledge (well cosplay specific at least).

Be careful with that razor, Peacecraft! lol. Maybe you should use a depilatory cream instead.

Ali-kun
05-19-2002, 05:50 PM
[i]Alichino's pretty obscure though ;-; howd you come across it?? [/B]

It was sitting on the shelf at Planet Anime? x_x

Ali has a bad habit of picking things up, flipping through them, falling in love with the art, and buying them regardless of what they might have in the way of plot or price ^^;;

Ayaka - AAAH! Depilatory cream! Nair! I HATE that crap *falls over giggling* I used to use it. Then I stopped and used a razor. Then I said screw this, why should I shave my legs anyway? ^^;;;;
Some teen magazine article said it is supposed to smell like cucumbers. I say they are on crack.

If Peacecraft shaves his face regularly, shaving legs should not be a problem...it just takes ten times as long ^_^v Same principle, though, heehe

peacecraft
05-20-2002, 10:48 AM
Yeah, but I use an electric razor on my face...

Kenshin Ken
05-20-2002, 10:58 AM
Nair works on facial hair too? ^^;;

Ayaka
05-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I hate Nair too. XP But I don't think I'm safe with anything sharp, lol. I only bother for dressing up (you know, fancy) and cosplay anyway, since I wear pants nearly all the time. The shorts season in Chicago is not long, lol.

Peacecraft - Nair is a pain, but you can't actually HURT yourself with it. You might want to try it instead of a razor. ^^; Although if you had to cosplay with some nicks and cuts, you could just say it was from falling in Ilpalazzo's (sp? Oo) pit (again).

And yeah I think there are cream dipilatories that work on facial hair . . .

khamryn
06-16-2002, 10:31 PM
::Cough:: Just wanted to pipe up.. since most of my cosplays are crossplays...

I don't use ace bandages... ^^ I make a little.. strap-down thing basically. With straps because the one time I didn't I kept being afraid it would slip... and its flesh colored... yeah uhm.. I'm gonna run away now. ^^ Now that I've shared my deep dark secret. o.O;

Ace bandages just are.. erm.. more uncomfortable then what I made... but yeah.. I'm not sure how well that would work for someone bigger chested then me. ^^; Could always try it though. ^_^