PDA

View Full Version : How do you pose in pictures?

ashleyohtori
07-29-2005, 12:09 AM
Hey everyone.

I always have wondered how to pose nicely infront of the camera so it shows off your hardworking costuming skills.

I always spend many months working on a costume and when it comes to picture time, they always look terrible in the photo. My costumes always look better in real life than pictures and I usually wear make-up and powder so my face does not glare in the photo.

I also usually try to pose in way the character that I'm cosplaying would pose or act like.

But somehow...I never have a good pose for the photographers. Any tips?

Ashley

MadCadaver
07-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Practice. What angle looks best would vary upon your costume.

dmk26
07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Posing is just a matter of experience. Look around at pictures you like and try to copy those poses. As you get more and more pictures, you'll start getting an idea of what looks good, and what doesn't.
If you don't like how your poses or pictures turn out, it may not be entirely your fault. You could have a great pose, but the photographer could still screw it up by using the wrong angle or frame. A good picture or pose is the result of a collaboration between the photographer and the model.

Sarcasm-hime
07-29-2005, 01:22 AM
Standing at an angle (3/4 facing the camera, not straight-on) looks better, and doing something with your hands (on your hips, crossed in front of you, in an action pose) looks better than just having them hang at your side. Be aware of what you're doing; try not to move around or fidget while posing as that will result in bad pictures.

ckeody
07-29-2005, 02:32 AM
One method I use is by trying to "be" the character. When you feel like the person you're cosplaying as, the poses will come natural (at least from my experience, but I'm just adding my two cents).

Fiouri
07-29-2005, 04:08 AM
I have the same problem with the posing^__^;;
what I started to do is: Make sure you're alone (if you want) and pose in front of a mirror--it would help if you have a big mirror so you can see what your body looks like rather than guessing. It helped me out a lot ^_^

Vicky
07-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Practice in front of a mirror... A LOT.
Don't restrict yourself to just one pose, stand at an angle, and do something with your arms.

Supremeronin
07-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Like everyone said: practice is the most important thing!

Also, get some good pictures of the character you are cosplaying as, and try out those poses, find out which ones are easy/you can remember/show off your costume best/etc and practice those.

Also sometimes it's worth just trying something wild. I always used to do the same Darth Maul poses, but one time I got bored of it and tried doing a stance with my legs far apart and my arms stretched out infront and behind. I hadn't practiced it at all so it was just a kinda experiment, but it worked out great and it's now my favourite pose.

Kokuu
07-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Practice, practice, practice! A mirror helps a lot. Does your character have any trademark poses? If not, make some up you think would be in character. You'll want to have three our four poses prepared, if possible, in case the photographer asks for more. It's a lot easier to be prepaired then to try and make something up on the spot. Try to pick poses that show off your costume as well. Most importantly, make sure your poses don't cover your face (unless that's in character).

OoTLink
08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
I always thought about carrying a mirror around with my camera to help people with that one ;)

If I ever do "photoshoots" I'll bring a small (but big enough) mirror that you can do just that :D

tfcreate
08-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I always thought about carrying a mirror around with my camera to help people with that one ;)

If I ever do "photoshoots" I'll bring a small (but big enough) mirror that you can do just that :D

If you have a digital camera, you can see "near real time" how your poses look, take full advantage of that whenever possible.

An old media teacher once told me to "pose them so that they don't look posed."

Never could figure that one out, but I suppose it comes down to a "look natural" approach.

That could mean not looking into the camera, or just ignoring the camera all together.

I just tell my subjects not to look like it's picture day in the fourth grade. That usually works. :dance:

TFC

ashleyohtori
08-02-2005, 01:24 AM
These suggestions are all wonderful. thank you.

Well, I think I may try the natural look and the character pose combined. It seems like the best way.

I actually do own a digital camera. So I can see the pose to decide if its good or not.

Thanks!

Ashley

BlueRose
08-02-2005, 04:43 AM
Mirrors dont really help..

Taking a pic of yourself and looking in a mirror are two diffeent things, most likely; the mirror will kind of distort what you look like. The best way to get good poses is to stand still, move slowly - if you must moves, when taking good photos its important to not move so quickly, otherwise they wont come out as good. Also, be aware of your positioning; just look at your body and decide what is appropiate ( I cant really say, it depends on what your posing for). As long as you feel comfortable and not akward. You should be fine.

DarknessSummit
08-02-2005, 07:02 AM
well wat kind of pose depends on wat character u are from the anime series....a nice standard fist in front of the camera always works....

anyway, if ur character is a shy person, have that character put their hands behind their back or something, if its a naruto character=ninja seals, props from ur cosplay character works nicely for the pics when u pose^-~

hello kenney
08-02-2005, 09:16 AM
maybe take a look in the galleries here and pick out some favorites to practice?

be aware of your props- make sure you are presenting the right side and angle towards the camera- and that youre not blocking your face.
yes: http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/ga/albums/userpics/anime_expo_2005_2/anime_expo2_2005_885.jpg
no: http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/ga/albums/userpics/anime_expo_2005/anime_expo_2005-909.jpg

variety is good- mix up your poses otherwise youll be sad when every photo you see after the con looks the same. dont just make subtle changes- make each pose different and think about what youre trying to convey: demure, aggressive, aloof...

have a detail on the back worth showing off? even if you dont, a 'looking over the shoulder' pose- or just from the back can be awesome.
http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/ga/albums/userpics/anime_expo_2005_4/anime_expo5_2005-293.jpg
http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/ga/albums/userpics/anime_expo_2005_4/anime_expo5_2005-284.jpg
http://www.cosplayuniverse.com/ga/albums/userpics/anime_expo_2005_2/anime_expo3_2005_378.jpg

majekili
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Practice in front of the mirror. What my group did is we found a few poses from pictures we liked and tried to copy them in front of eachother/mirrors. Even practice photos.
Also, the other thing you could do is attend photography panels at conventions. They'll give you useful tips on how to pose and so forth.
In the end, it doesn't matter if you betray your character completely. Just have fun with it (and make sure your costume is on straight)

Nagi Lee
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
i just memorize poses my character i'm going as alot. and practice them they previous posts have said

Seto-Kaiba
08-02-2005, 05:05 PM
I pose the way that my character does on the show

Jia Jem
08-02-2005, 05:39 PM
it might also help, if you have a large prop, to keep the prop close to your body so that the photographer can get all of you in a nice, tight shot for detail's sake. nothing bothers me more than seeing someone fully brandishing a sword over their head, and the picture had to be taken from like 50 feet away, diminishing him to a stick figure holding... well, a stick.

tfcreate
08-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Also... this is more to the photographers than the subjects, you should be using your camera almost constantly. Face it, alot of us wait until a week or so before a shoot to pick up the camera if that. As a photog, you should be so comfortable with your equipment that you can snap a good pic in your sleep.

Don't wait until the last minute to get re-aquainted with your camera.

TFC

Runi-Chan
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
very true.

I think the major thing to poses is practice, practice, practice! I don't think it can be said enough. For example; Russell Tringham doesn't have a 'pose', so I've chosen to just go with one arm dropped down and the side and I haven't decided what do do with the other..

ashleyohtori
08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Also... this is more to the photographers than the subjects, you should be using your camera almost constantly. Face it, alot of us wait until a week or so before a shoot to pick up the camera if that. As a photog, you should be so comfortable with your equipment that you can snap a good pic in your sleep.

Don't wait until the last minute to get re-aquainted with your camera.

TFC

I also think that is very true. I just took my senior pictures about two weeks ago and they turned out great!...but that was because it was by a professional studio and the photographer had experience for about 40 years of taking pictures. She knew how to pose me and make me look good.

But unfortunately, we don't have many people like that taking pictures at cons. We must be able to determine what pose is good for our costumes.

Really, thank you everyone for all your advice. It will hopefully allow me to be more knowledgable in posing for pictures.

Ashley

KawaiiEdea
08-11-2005, 09:09 PM
yup, practice..and not just in front of the mirror. If you have a digital camera try using the timer (if it has one) and take some practice shots, trust me, this is waaay more useful than just practicing in front of mirror. Sometimes what you see in the mirror looks different from what you see in a picture.

study the character (if you don't know her/him well already) and decide what poses would look appropriate (for example: if you were cosplaying Yuna, you probably wouldn't want to strike a kung fu pose).

Parasaurolophus
08-11-2005, 09:21 PM
I think the hardest poses to do at cons are the ones which are supposed to look "natural". Say a character who isn't emotionally extreme, so a natural, neutral, non-smiling/goofy look is really hard to pull off. (IMO)

Squall1882
08-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Ahahahaha.. I don't really pose, nor smile.. I don't know.. I guess whatever comes to mind at the time

jtnishi
08-12-2005, 12:25 AM
But unfortunately, we don't have many people like that taking pictures at cons. We must be able to determine what pose is good for our costumes.

It actually goes doubly for cosplay, because it's safe to assume that while photographers can guess what poses might look good, the fact of the matter is that odds are that a good number of the people taking a picture of you don't actually necessarily know much about the character you are cosplaying. A few will know, and will be able to choose appropriate poses, but in the end, hopefully, the person wearing the costume will know better about the character than the person taking the picture. Decent cosplay photographers probably can pick the right angle & composition, but if you can come up with a good pose or 3, it'll make your pictures look that much better.

b33tlejuice
08-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Mirror.

Also confidence.
It's always good to look smug when your posing for a photograph. The camera is brutal to kids that act modest. ^^

kyandi-chan
08-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I take a mirror and reference photos with me for photoshoots. For cons, I normally get the feel of the character, and pose like they would pose. Its a bit of acting, and a bit of goofing off, after I do it for too long :D

Rena
08-13-2005, 02:25 PM
I always try to pose like the japanese

cause they are very cool . They don`t laught like a iditot , they try to look cool and

mystic, so I do!

But you have to see how the original charas aura "says"

and when you don`t have a Idol for your costeme you have to think what kind

of "aura" would anybody have when he wears this clothes normaly as his own clothes..

°°Rena°° (^-^)V

tfcreate
08-15-2005, 01:22 AM
Sometimes the cosplayers just goofing around is good.
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/acen05/images/acen0573.JPG

Other times the posed photo works. Typically when they're not looking into the camera.
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/cosplay/acen0546a.jpg
http://www.hobbyfan.com/albums/album682/resize1.jpg
But, like everybody says, it's a matter of practice for the most part.
But for both the subject and the photographer.
TFC

ilumiari
08-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Can I add, when you are practicing, practice ALOT of poses. I wasn't ready for some of the photographers at comiket, they just kept saying "One more please!" I swear some of them have 20 photos of me. Unfortunately I only had 7 planned poses, so they kept saying "please do something different". So I probably look like a moron in most of the photos, trying like hell to make up poses on the spur of the moment.

Shania_Nowhere
08-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Practicing in front of a mirror helps a lot. Also, if you have a digital camera that you can quickly view the pictures on your computer, get someone to take pictures of you at home so you can see how certain poses look and think of ways to improve on them. Compare them to the characters' poses and see how you can get closer without looking like a retard (hey, some characters look that way when they pose!). I only have one pose but that's cause no one has yet asked for more than one picture. :-p

It also helps, believe it or not, to have some experience on the runway. When on the runway, you need to work out poses so you don't look like a stiff. Try practicing that too! ^_^ Not only will you be prepared for photos, but also the case when you ever want to enter a costume contest!

If you ever use a prop, make sure you USE it. Don't just hold it or whatever, wield it and brandish it so you look like you know what you're doing. Props are there for a reason so work it, honey! ~.^

Nina Star 9
08-21-2005, 10:28 PM
hmm... sorry, but this is not helpful to me at all. ^^;; i try to look inot the mirror and pose, but most of my costumes are original costumes or characters/singers that have no set poses. singers make it really hard because there is no "character" to be in. x.x what woudl i do in this case? also, what if you are someone really ugly, like in the middle of the dealer's room at a con,a dn someone asks for your picture, and you have no props, and the people waiting are too impaint for you to strike a good pose, what do you do? i have no idea how many times this has happened to me, and i am sure the pics that were taken all look really bad. x-x please help...?

jtnishi
08-22-2005, 12:53 AM
hmm... sorry, but this is not helpful to me at all. ^^;; i try to look inot the mirror and pose, but most of my costumes are original costumes or characters/singers that have no set poses. singers make it really hard because there is no "character" to be in. x.x what woudl i do in this case? also, what if you are someone really ugly, like in the middle of the dealer's room at a con,a dn someone asks for your picture, and you have no props, and the people waiting are too impaint for you to strike a good pose, what do you do? i have no idea how many times this has happened to me, and i am sure the pics that were taken all look really bad. x-x please help...?

My suggestion, coming from a photographer's view, is that if you don't have a character to be in, then take into consideration any emotion/feeling that you're trying to convey, then rely on a classical stance. If you're trying to portray a costume that you feel is elegant, there are typical stances that one can use. Similarly, if you're trying to wear a costume that when you created it, is a sign of action, try a pose that perhaps feels "action-y".

The key is that a costumer of any sort is in a sense an actor/actress. I've always thought that the people who look best in any picture are those who try to feel/play the part. I don't know half the characters I shoot, but the people who feel the most into their costume, their part, tend to look better, and always look better than people who just stand there looking lifeless.

Barring that, the quick and dirty rule is that the closer it looks to a DMV picture, the worse it's probably going to look. So at the very least, unless you're a guy who's trying to portray strength/authority (think bodybuilder style, or a officer at attention), you might want to consider a stance where the shoulders are not perpendicular to the camera (ie: don't look straight on), and shift your feet accordingly. I think I remember in high school class learning about contrapposto stances used in classic art as well, where the body has it's weight shifted, and the shoulders and feet are not in the same plane. It may not perhaps always suit the costume, but anything's probably better than plain old "just stand there and wait".

Runi-Chan
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I suggest, if your character does not have a set pose, just make one up that is in character. For example, when I was wearing Nina Tucker during the Masquerade at Otakon this year (loaned to me by the Safteypin Alchemists), I was asked for pictures. Naturally, Nina has no set pose. She's four, so I went with the 'look really cute' angle. Obviously, there is a lot of 'sexy' posing. But there is a time and place for that.

And if the Tucker was ever in a picture with me, I hugged her. Same went for Dar Dar as Alexander.

Kaze no Yume
08-22-2005, 10:23 PM
I've recently attended a panel in Anime Evolution that teaches how to pose.

Things not to do:
One important thing to remember when posing is never to have you arms in a position that would block your chest, whether you are wearing lots or showing a bit because then you can show off your costume more. This is the same for props.
Don't do the victory/peace sign. It's over-used.

In summary, there are five levels.
1st level is when you are lying down. Of course, this isn't really an option if you have a huge costume since you might get it dirty. But for the normal costumes, this is really one of the more unique poses that's rarely seen.
2nd level is sitting.
3rd level is kneeling. Whether it's on one leg or both, you can make your body turn in a different angle and your hands.
4th level is standing. This is the most used, but there can still be lots of different poses just by tilting your body a bit or making a straight line with your arms.
5th level is when you are posing on an object, such as a table or a chair.

I've uploaded a picture that includes all these levels of posing. I'm in it, too! :p

By the way, I heard the person who hosted this panel also comes to cosplay.com, but I forgot to ask for her name here.

tfcreate
08-23-2005, 12:43 AM
You covered the positions very well, but remember it's also the expression on the faces of the subjects. The "I'm just standing here," blank expression is the single worst element of an otherwise outstanding picture.
Does this mean that you need to always smile for the camera? No. Something other than that blank stare that we've all made in our Driver's license picture or in our pictures for the 4th grade is fine. Avoid the blank stare at all costs.

For an original charater.... that should be even easier. YOU know that charater better than anyone. To bring that charater out on film is unique, but not that difficult. The easiest thing is to look through catolouge and magazines to see how pros do it. Remember, they didn't see the clothes that they are modeling until that day.

Also, make sure the costume is fitted properly. If is sags or droops in places it's not supposed to, then you'll never get a good pose, because it will just look bad. Many GREAT costumes fall victim to this.
http://tfcreate.home.mindspring.com/cosplay/yomomi.jpg
This is an example of a well fitted costume, expertly posed and photographed
TFC

Mystic Blossom
08-23-2005, 08:09 AM
I practice a little bit, but not much. I always like to have a prop of some kind that I can pose with, because it helps to be able to do something with your hands. I know I hate it when cosplayers just stand there when I ask to take their picture, and sometimes don't even look at my camera, so when someone wants to take a picture of me, I'll ask if they want me to pose a certain way. Most of the time, however, they just look at me like I'm crazy for asking, so I just do a pose that feels right for the character at the time. I really like to give my poses variety because I don't want a bunch of pictures of me floating around the Internet where I'm in different places with the exact same pose. What fun is that?
There's only one time I can recall where someone requested a specific pose from me. At Anime Boston earlier this year, a girl asked me to pose so she could see the obi on my Yuuko costume better, which I was quite happy to do, wanting more pictures of the obi myself.

Sephiria-chan
08-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Im lucky with the costume im doing because my char (Abel Nightroad) has quite the complex personality and poses in many ways. In the anime he tends towards being silly and stupid, so i can use the weird smile, and in the original art he looks very menacing.
I find the best default poses are on a 45 degree angle either way, and one thing that always looks good on a char who fights, is that evil smug, satisfied, about to fight grin.

Ree
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I like a slight angle and some sort of expression.
Dead faces aren't much fun.

kabuki_KILLER
08-24-2005, 02:05 AM
I try to pose in a way that displays my outift well, and more importantly, the face.

I usually like to make myself look one of the following: confused, bitchy, or completely inanimate. I think the bitchy look is the hardest for me to do. Sometimes I get it right and sometimes I get a different look than I opted for. It's hard to be expressive without expressions.

Heh. I'm cosplaying someone else next year. Then again...maybe not. XD

Efecss
08-24-2005, 05:55 AM
I have a pretty easey time finding a pose. Most of my costumes are TRANSFORMERS (G-1), and the artwork that was on the box they came in was just great. If you look at the majority of the poses I did with Metalhawk, with my sword, it's the same pose the artist did with him, his Cybertron coming out of him then transforming. And, if you look at my Optimus Prime costume, although that is not the picture from the Original Optimus Prime, it is the same pose he uses when he is God Jinrai (Or Powermaster Optimus Prime.)

Now, my Star Saber Costume, I'm afraid has had some flaws I only found out when I was wearing the full costume. At Anime Overdose, I had my shoulders on the wrong arms, and no sword or prop, nor did I have the right outfit to go with it. But at BotCon, I made a few mistakes there, and although I looked a lot better, I just didn't "Feel" the pose. I didn't have my sword completed either.

Also, with my Metalhawk outfit, at BotCon 98 in Anaheim, some dealers from japan showed me a few poses I didn't even know about, since I had only seen half the tv show from Japan.

Posing is just as much a skill as it is a feeling. That's why Tyra Banks, Christie Brinklie, Cindy Crawford got the big bucks. They knew how to pose.

And take directions.