PDA

View Full Version : Canadian National Expo Masquerade Information - Cap structure

Kaijugal
08-01-2005, 10:14 AM
INFORMATION REMOVED

After taking into account legitimate complaints by HidoshiNobunaga

TO PREMOTE FAIRNESS TO ALL GENRES
NO FUTHER INFORMATION REGARDING THE
SFX/CNA MASQUERADE. TIME LIMITS, CAPS, ETC
WILL BE POSTED ON THIS FORUM

Zyx Whitewind
08-01-2005, 11:28 AM
How do we gurantee ourselves a space? Is there any way to pre-register ahead of time like Anime North, or is it simply first come, first serve basis?

Kaijugal
08-01-2005, 11:48 AM
How do we gurantee ourselves a space? Is there any way to pre-register ahead of time like Anime North, or is it simply first come, first serve basis?

Because it's an expo, it's first come, first serve.

Vicky
08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if I'm entering my Sailor Luna again. She won at Anime North but I've been making lots of fixes. If I do, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon fits in the Anime genre I'm assuming? ^^;

Kaijugal
08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure if I'm entering my Sailor Luna again. She won at Anime North but I've been making lots of fixes. If I do, Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon fits in the Anime genre I'm assuming? ^^;

REMOVED

lainey
08-01-2005, 03:59 PM
question!! now...what if the group is cosplaying from video game and mangas?

ooo...and is registration still only open at 10AM on saturday?

Amy the Yu
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
I won't be entering (no way in hell), but I'm kind of amused by this structure. Anime/manga costumes have been so predominant at CN the few years I've attended, would be interesting seeing if this will somehow boost the ratio of costumes from other genres as well. XD

archangeli
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
I think the categories is a GREAT idea...

I'm sure there will be ppl that will get ticked off, but I think that it encourages ppl to look outside the box for great things to cosplay.

... not that I will even be attending this year... but yeah... :P

Otaking97
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, considering it's always basically been 90% anime/game related there is going to be a lot of cosplayers not able to enter. We were going to but now I think we'll pass too. I'm sure you would basically have to line up at the sign up booth when the place opens to get a spot.

Kia
08-01-2005, 05:18 PM
I won't be entering (no way in hell), but I'm kind of amused by this structure. Anime/manga costumes have been so predominant at CN the few years I've attended, would be interesting seeing if this will somehow boost the ratio of costumes from other genres as well. XD
I'm sure that's what the show organizers are hoping for, since its a multi-genre/medium expo, now more than ever. Last year there were tons of non-anime/gaming costumers wandering around the con, but, since they probably hadn't heard about the cap, like all us anime people had, they missed out on representing their own fandom in the masq. Hopefully this will even the playing field in a few ways and properly represent the Expo as a whole.

(not that I actually support the expo, as they're only in it to make money off all of us, and not fans who want to bring us only the best. But I support Kaijugal. She gets my vote. ^_^)

Kaijugal
08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
INFORMATION REMOVED

JustinCredible
08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
BRILLANT!!!

Thank Jebus!

Rue Morgue is having a Midnite Costume Contest later that night.. but I do like the idea of getting different genres represented...

jade_dincht
08-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Yay! I love this idea for different genres having a certain amount of slots in the masq is great. It makes me not worry about getting pushed aside by all the anime cosplayers.

Amy the Yu
08-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I thought you were volunteering to help with the poloroid pit back stage Amy? @_@Absolutely you bet I am. I just meant that I'm not entering the masq as an entry. The idea of having to go up in front of that many people makes me wanna vomit. >_>

TribalButterfly
08-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Are u saying u need volunteers Kaijugal ?
What kinds of jobs are avaliable?

I think the categories idea is good too Ė it gives other people from other parts of the con the opportunity to participate, but what concerns me is, there is going to be a lot of disappointed anime cosplayers out there :(
And what if there arenít enough horror, and sci-fi, and comic etc. cosplayers out there, willing to participate?

Is there a certain time limit, where as if all of the places are not filled by a certain time, then ALL the spots go up for grabs? First come first served after 2:00pm, or something like that???

kuko-chan
08-01-2005, 11:44 PM
I really love this idea! It's not that I'm sick of seeing anime entries in masquerades (that's why we have Anime North ^^), but it would be more refreshing to see costumes from others shows, like HP, LotR, Star Wars, etc. I'm looking forward to this!

Ah, I'm torn now! On the one hand, me and my dad's sci-fi costumes aren't ready yet, plus I was planning on wearing my Yuna costume Saturday, so I wasn't 100% planning on participating. On the other hand, with this extended freedom of genre-catagories, it would seem entering in the Sci-fi catagory is easier than ever. I'm so tempted! I even have the perfect idea for a short skit!

Eleryth
08-02-2005, 02:35 AM
I like the category ideas a lot, especially for such a mulit-genre con. It might fall short this year if people don't know about it, but I think next year will really have some diversity.

I think a lot of people get stuck thinking that cosplay is only anime, and this will help show that it's not. ^^

Not that I'm attending or volunteering...just wanted to give my two cents, since I like a wide variety of costume sources.

Will they all be competiting for the same awards? I assume so, but will there be extras, such as "best anime costume, best game costume", and so on?

lainey
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
it's a great idea..i'm just afraid of making stage props and fancy thingies when there's little chance of getting into the masquerade lol

but it's a good idea!! maybe next year i can enter in another category...

what if it's an original costume????

Vicky
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Technically you could be " film, television or literary source"
since it's from the Live action show isn't it? :)that's why I asked, dearest Dawn! ^^ You run the show, if that's what you think is more appropriate I'll enter for that (if I enter at all). I am so excited to have more categories this year!

archangeli
08-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Another question, what happens if certain category slots aren't filled?

If there are only 13 entries in the Comic Book category and only 10 in the Horror category, do the remaining 7 slots go up in the air or do they get shuffled into the "General" category?

Kaijugal
08-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Are u saying u need volunteers Kaijugal ?
What kinds of jobs are avaliable?

I belive Penny Lipman the greenroom manager still may desire some den mothers.

I think the categories idea is good too Ė it gives other people from other parts of the con the opportunity to participate, but what concerns me is, there is going to be a lot of disappointed anime cosplayers out there :(
And what if there arenít enough horror, and sci-fi, and comic etc. cosplayers out there, willing to participate?

Last year 31% of the masquerade was Non anime or anime related that really belonged in another category, i.e. the "Links" which were technically "Gaming".

That means this year in comparison to last year there are only 8 less slots available for anime specific entries than were actually used last year. (While there are 100 slots overall, so crack out those other costume desires and old halloween togs! :) ) I'm highly aware that there may be some dissapointed costumers who do nothing but anime costumes and would like to participate an may not get it, and belive me I feel for those people, I do, but the reality is the Big Boss at Hobbystar would like to masquerade to reflect the entire show and not just one aspect. Under the old system of 60 slots that would allow for only 8 slots for anime entries. My comprimise was to up the total number of available slots to make more available to anime entries. There are a total of 15 garunteed slots and 30 potential slots total.

Bare in mind that many 'cosplay' costumes may be television or gaming however making it possible that even more slots are available to people with eastern inspired media costumes.

It has been a tough balancing act facilitating the wishes of the Show Owner and giving maximum availablity and being sensitive to the desires of the local cosplay community.

Is there a certain time limit, where as if all of the places are not filled by a certain time, then ALL the spots go up for grabs? First come first served after 2:00pm, or something like that???

Once the slots are filled in each genre, (or we close reg at 1pm), The remaining OPEN SLOTS ANY GENRE will be up for filling. If the total number in a specific genre are not filled they will be left vaccant. (If we are going to have a masquerade of less than 40 entries I may be slightly lienient on this but I think you'll find we will settle down around the 60 mark again this year)

Another major factor in this new system is that we have an event happening AFTER us this year and thus we MUST start and finish ON TIME.

Another question, what happens if certain category slots aren't filled?

If there are only 13 entries in the Comic Book category and only 10 in the Horror category, do the remaining 7 slots go up in the air or do they get shuffled into the "General" category?

Then those 7 remaining slots dissapear in a puff of disbelief never to be reborn anew in 2006. (For the same reason as above, the time limit this year).

I like the category ideas a lot, especially for such a mulit-genre con. It might fall short this year if people don't know about it, but I think next year will really have some diversity.

Will they all be competiting for the same awards? I assume so, but will there be extras, such as "best anime costume, best game costume", and so on?

Correct! ^_^ This year there will be a Best In Category awarded for each category if the judges decided that there is a deserving entry. :)

what if it's an original costume????

Then we put it in the OPEN / ANY GENRE class and it automatically fills one of those spots. That is what it is for a catch all and overflow. The same applies for historical recreation costumes. :)

that's why I asked, dearest Dawn! ^^ You run the show, if that's what you think is more appropriate I'll enter for that (if I enter at all). I am so excited to have more categories this year!

Ah superb! Well thank you. Best wishes, whatever you ultimately decide on. :)

(And just as an aside, that's why there is always a masquerade rule to the effect of "The Masquerade Director has final say." Otherwise we'd go something something... XD hahaha).

I hope that answers everyones questions satisfactorily.

Cheers!

Kia
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
Another major factor in this new system is that we have an event happening AFTER us this year and thus we MUST start and finish ON TIME.

Really? Any idea what it is? ^_^

Otaking97
08-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Indeed. At each CN since it started I don't actually remember anything going on after the show. That is unusual since it still states it ends at 7.

lainey
08-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Indeed. At each CN since it started I don't actually remember anything going on after the show. That is unusual since it still states it ends at 7.

omigosh a new event after the masquerade?? i'm excited in learning what it is!! is my hope in them organizing a dance...just too hopeful? lol

Otaking97
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
I wish. The dance is the one thing that has been missing at CN for too long. With the huge area they have they could throw one rocking club dance!

Edgar Strife
08-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry to interupt, but i though CN always had a dance didn't they? If i remember well, there was a dance at Cn last year [as they call it the All Night Anime Dance], the only problem was that it was taking place at a hotel which i had no clue how to get there. Hum...so an event is going on after the masquerade? If its a dance, I hope it's going to be at the con, not like last time. Or maybe its that Angela concert that I been hearing about. Well, whatever it may be, I look forward to seeing it.
ps
sorry if i'm going off topic.

TribalButterfly
08-02-2005, 08:02 PM
OOO! And Karaoke too I think! :)

Kaijugal
08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Information Removed by poster

Sarcasm-hime
08-02-2005, 08:46 PM
Unfortunately the MTCC closes at 9pm IIRC; that's why there's never been a dance there.

(just FYI the John Bassett Theatre is where the masquerade was held last year)

Kia
08-02-2005, 09:12 PM
From what I hear from people who know the organizers (from someone other than Kaijugal) there probably will NEVER be a dance as part of CN. It would require them to rent a second space, provide security staff, and a whole bunch of other things that is too much effort for people who really don't care about their anime attendees *that* much. Though, as much as I really really dislike Hobbystar and their staff, it does make sense, from a financial and logistical perspective. I guess its just one of the drawbacks to it a) not being in a hotel; and b) not being run by people who care (ie, fans organizing a con for other fans). :: shrug ::

lainey
08-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Unfortunately the MTCC closes at 9pm IIRC; that's why there's never been a dance there.

(just FYI the John Bassett Theatre is where the masquerade was held last year)

yeah..just wishful thinking :D

lainey
08-02-2005, 09:31 PM
[doube post...OOPS.]
>_<

Mage
08-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Sorry to interupt, but i though CN always had a dance didn't they? If i remember well, there was a dance at Cn last year [as they call it the All Night Anime Dance], the only problem was that it was taking place at a hotel which i had no clue how to get there.

It wasn't a dance. It's All Night Anime. They show anime and have anime/jpop/jrock karaoke and it's not really all-night. The Strathcona is the hotel it's usually at and is just up the street from the convention centre. ^_^

JustinCredible
08-03-2005, 01:21 AM
omigosh a new event after the masquerade?? i'm excited in learning what it is!! is my hope in them organizing a dance...just too hopeful? lol

Its probably the James Marsters concert as there's one Saturday night.

HidoshiNobunaga
08-03-2005, 02:00 AM
*breaths* Okay... I need to read Cosplay.com more often or something.

Having vented my anger and rage on LJ now, I will attempt to be as civil as possible. I know you're trying to be fair, Dawn, but this is bullshit for us entering as anime. One because a lot of mixed skits end up arising. Last year we entered with an Aragorn cosplayer while the rest were anime. On top of that, the anime community EASILY accounts for the lion's share of skit work in the convention community. Sci-fi especially has been dead for years. I realise something like this may revitalise that, but for those of us who have put actual work, time, and money into our skits, it's very unfair if we get locked off just because there's the very slim chance another category might partake for once. I appreciate how much hard work goes into organising the masq, but the categories sound like a generally bad idea if it's a hard wall. Will there at least be some room for negotiation if it looks like the other categories aren't filling up?

lainey
08-03-2005, 08:55 AM

Having vented my anger and rage on LJ now, I will attempt to be as civil as possible. I know you're trying to be fair, Dawn, but this is bullshit for us entering as anime. One because a lot of mixed skits end up arising. Last year we entered with an Aragorn cosplayer while the rest were anime. On top of that, the anime community EASILY accounts for the lion's share of skit work in the convention community. Sci-fi especially has been dead for years. I realise something like this may revitalise that, but for those of us who have put actual work, time, and money into our skits, it's very unfair if we get locked off just because there's the very slim chance another category might partake for once. I appreciate how much hard work goes into organising the masq, but the categories sound like a generally bad idea if it's a hard wall. Will there at least be some room for negotiation if it looks like the other categories aren't filling up?

i think you're being a bit mean to Dawn...as Hobbystar is telling her to do this...not on her own choice. It makes sense that they want more variety..AND a smaller quality masq. Everyone has to deal with this chance...going through skit practices and stuff for hours and then not get in
:( :(

i also forgot to ask earlier...
would the masquerade registration sheets be available on friday so that we can just hand it in on saturday? that way we have everyone's signatures and stuff...

if not..can we fill out an AN masquerade form and hand that in lol

TribalButterfly
08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
I have to admit that at first I didnít really like the idea of categories - but then I realized that they are actually INCREASING the number of spots available to be filled - almost double! (Am I right, or did I just make myself sound stupid?)
So, I think it's ok to have categories. It gives the people from other parts of the convention (other than anime) a CHANCE to participate in the masq - where as before, they might have been saturated out.

Besides, they do have that 15 spots for the first come first serve up for grabs, so really, if it comes down to it, its really like they could have 30 spots for anime.
(Am I wrong???)

You may have done a great job on your costume, and props and skit and everything and thatís WONDERFUL! But Iím sure a lot of people from Sci-fi and horror etc have done the same too. (And Iím sure everyone would like to see something new, and more variety) If youíre really worried about not getting into the Masq though, just donít be late getting in line, and uíll have a good chance of getting a spot.

Besides, worse comes to worst, if you donít make it into the masq, it doesnít mean that you will NEVER be able to perform your skit.
You could perform it in the con lobby!!! If your skit is good, then Iím sure tones of people would LOVE to watch it there, and will have better photo opportunities for it too!

mokulen22
08-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I agree--as long as the majority aren't walk-ons wearing star trek outfits--I can deal with it. :P

archangeli
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
I agree--as long as the majority aren't walk-ons wearing star trek outfits--I can deal with it. :P

It's a costume competition, not a skit contest. If participants want to do walk-ons, they have every right to do so. :cheers:

Mage
08-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Sci-fi especially has been dead for years. I realise something like this may revitalise that, but for those of us who have put actual work, time, and money into our skits, it's very unfair if we get locked off just because there's the very slim chance another category might partake for once.

I know you're upset but wow, way to slap the sci-fi/comic people in the face. Just so you know, being an anime act doesn't automatically equal "actual work, time and money" spent and being a non-anime act doesn't mean you didn't put said ingredients in.

As for "very slim chance," why say that when almost one third of last year's participants were non-anime?

this year in comparison to last year there are only 8 less slots available for anime specific entries than were actually used last year

mokulen22
08-03-2005, 12:16 PM
It's a costume competition, not a skit contest. If participants want to do walk-ons, they have every right to do so. :cheers:
dude, lol, never said they didn't. I was just playin around, if you can't make fun of trekkie then who can you make fun of? *jokin*

HidoshiNobunaga
08-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I apologise for things said last night. I was just really ticked off, coming off editing our skit for three hours after we found the audio track was at 1:58. Sorry about that folks, especially Dawn.

Kaijugal
08-03-2005, 01:18 PM

First Let me respond to your statements here:

1) I realize your concern, and to a certain part I agree, however the shows owners have expressed a desire to have thier masquerade reflect the show more evenly. This is not purely my decision and we're still discussing the show.

2) Please do not disrespect me. I am the one who raised the cap last year to accomodate the costumers. I am the one who pushed for you to have a greenroom instead of having to get dressed and wait in a hall like the old days. I am the one who pushed for a video feed to the back room so you all could enjoy your time spent back stage. I am the one who requested the little nicities such as the water service. I am the one who gives this community a heads up on every decision and all the news as it becomes available to me. Anyone who know me and has attended any masquerade I direct knows I do my best to be friendly, flexible and get the show situated for the maximum enjoyment of the costumers.

It's new, it's different, and I know it appears to suck to some of you, but belive me when I say I'm doing my best to accomodate all involved, and let's see if it actually works before you start causing me grief. Who knows the con is still weeks away and things might yet be changed.

Trust me, if it sucks completely and is unmanageable and horrid. I will be the first one in line to buck for change next year. You can take that to the bank.

What is posted here and what happens on site might also be different. Not adding any constructive criticism and pissing me off about it when I'm already unhappy with having to enforce it however, does not further your cause.

If you have an alternative that will be fair for everyone and still keep things on schedual please let me know.

2) In addendum to that. I got MANY complaints last year from non anime costumers that they were unable to compete in the masquerade last year because we had to close the masquerade desk very early due to people from this forum linning up and signning up and taking up all the spots due to having advanced warning. How fair do you think the rest of the convention feels? Generally it's to give the other fandoms a chance to participate while still maintaining a cap.

3) An alternative method that was heavily suggested to me was to pre judge all the contestants and only let "the best" into the masquerade. How would the community feel about that as an alternative? (Don't bother answering. I hate it, and it won't happen.)

4) Sci fi has been dead for years is really rude thing to say.to the costumers who do Sci Fi costumes. *I* Am a Sci Fi costumer. I am also a horror costumer. Many of your friends and aquantainces are open minded and have interests beyond anime. Just because you do not see the merit in non anime related costumes does not mean there is none. (As for the show past examples of "dead" sci fi entries: Best in show:A star trek entry: a Star Wars Entry, A Star Wars Entry, A star Trek Entry, A Predetor Entry, a Monster and Star Trek Entry, an anime entry, an anime entry, a horror entry.)

Addendum:

Screenshot removed in the interest of promoting community goodwill.

Ater reading your rant I realize that the inital problem, (The one of everyone who is informed of the cap here runs to the reg desk asap and fills the spots leaving the rest of fandom out in the cold), is totally MY FAULT. You're right. I AM a fucktard. By being nice and trying to give people here the heads up over the last year I created the problem CN now wants solved.

Thanks to your input I'll fix this immediately.

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO INFORMATION OR UPDATES REGARDING THIS MASQUERADE. YOU CAN FIND OUT THE INFORMATION AT THE SHOW LIKE EVERY OTHER FANDOM.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. SEE YOU AT THE END OF THE MONTH!

HidoshiNobunaga
08-03-2005, 01:46 PM
As I said, I apologise for things like that. I was just very frustrated after skit editing and I usually don't lose my temper. It just sounded much worse than it was and I kind of snapped. Sorry again for that. I do appreciate what you do for the Masq and I really didn't mean to be like that towards anyone. Understanding the situation better now, again, I apologise. It was very childish of me and I don't mean any ill will from this point on.

TribalButterfly
08-03-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks to your input I'll fix this immediately.

FROM NOW ON THERE WILL BE NO INFORMATION OR UPDATES REGARDING THIS MASQUERADE. YOU CAN FIND OUT THE INFORMATION AT THE SHOW LIKE EVERY OTHER FANDOM.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE. SEE YOU AT THE END OF THE MONTH[/B]![/U]

uh oh. I think we just got screwed.

Also.. i don't understand that http://photobucket.com/albums/v481/...SFXMASQRANT.jpg
thing, but i think that person scarres me.

Kaijugal
08-03-2005, 02:02 PM
As I said, I apologise for things like that. I was just very frustrated after skit editing and I usually don't lose my temper. It just sounded much worse than it was and I kind of snapped. Sorry again for that. I do appreciate what you do for the Masq and I really didn't mean to be like that towards anyone. Understanding the situation better now, again, I apologise. It was very childish of me and I don't mean any ill will from this point on.

Apology accepted.

I'll be happy to chalk it up to costumer 'potential disappointment frustration', (which I have felt many a time in my life ), and go on from there.

See you at the show.

xiola
08-03-2005, 02:07 PM
>D! awesome decision, dawn. and no, i'm not being sarcastic. i'd rather see you get some sleep while us anime kids stop getting used to being treated like the Favourite Child.

or maybe i'm just so jaded about CNA/SFX that i find it amusing. -_-

HidoshiNobunaga
08-03-2005, 02:11 PM
Heh, thanks for accepting Dawn. I usually don't lose my temper easily and I really regret taking it out on someone like you. I know how helpful and fair you've been.

Also, I edited the LJ, so that post is gone. No sense in keeping anger afloat.

Colsus
08-03-2005, 05:47 PM
i origenaly thought tthat it was a bad idea to cap things but after thinking and not acting hastey it turens out to be a good idea. It just requers a littal more plaing on my behafe. i was just wondering wheter or not you would be able to tell us when and where the sing up is and what time the sing up is.

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 06:06 PM
As much as it sucks a cap makes sense. I can only stand sitting in there watching the masq for about 3 hours. After that I get edgy and want out! I couldn't imagine actually going up on stage and being near the end and waiting for 3 hours! Yikes.

Like other cons having a skit show on one day and the general masq on the next is a great idea. Hell if some cosplayers can't get in why not set up their OWN masq in the hall or something? I mean we set up photoshoots and picnics and other things so why not a fan run masq?! Sounds good to me. Hell it wouldn't be hard to get some awards for it either.

Amy the Yu
08-03-2005, 06:20 PM
(As for the show past examples of "dead" sci fi entries: Best in show:A star trek entry: a Star Wars Entry, A Star Wars Entry, A star Trek Entry, A Predetor Entry, a Monster and Star Trek Entry, an anime entry, an anime entry, a horror entry.) Wow. I never stuck around to hear the awards and stuff (nor do I usually even stick around for the masq since long lines scare me), but that's an impressive line up of best in shows...considering I think I remember seeing most of them and they were dang good. XD

I think I'm beginning to look forward to seeing non-anime costumes more than the anime ones now...although I can already imagine the sea of LOTR cosplayers this yr... XD

TribalButterfly
08-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I have a question. When signing up, do u get to see the list of OTHER costume's ur up against??? haha! So that you can change costumes if you don't think u stand a chance in the costume you're currently in??? HAHA!

Because, im going to be going as Lust from Full Metal Alchemist with my friends that day - BUT there's not a 100% chance that they are going to cosplay; so if i DO end up going solo, i MIGHT have a better chance if i change into my RING GIRL costume (for the Horror catagories! HAHA!)

Oselle
08-03-2005, 06:29 PM
I have a question. When signing up, do u get to see the list of OTHER costume's ur up against??? haha! So that you can change costumes if you don't think u stand a chance in the costume you're currently in??? HAHA!

Because, im going to be going as Lust from Full Metal Alchemist with my friends that day - BUT there's not a 100% chance that they are going to cosplay; so if i DO end up going solo, i MIGHT have a better chance if i change into my RING GIRL costume (for the Horror catagories! HAHA!)

Typically no, you are not able to see the other acts that have signed up. I am uncertain, but at best all that may be released is how many acts have registered in each category.

Regardless though, I would highly recommend deciding which costume you are going to enter BEFORE the con - presentations are much better when they're well thought out!

From the sounds of it, there is going to be a higher demand for spots in the "anime" category, so you may want to consider your horror costume for the masquerade.

Cheers, looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

jade_dincht
08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, good job, who's the f*cktard now?? Nice. I would have liked to hear updates and such. Thanks for ruining it. Also, what the heck is wrong with science fiction cosplayers?? I would have to say that I work just as hard as you do on my costume and skit and just because there's more anime people then si-fi doesn't mean you should get first pick. If you don't like the rules don't go to the masq. I realize you were angry at the time you wrote that, but after reading what was in your journal I'd say that's not only not nice but by far the most disturbing thing i've ever read. Congrats for being psycho. It's people like you that mabye shouldn't be in the masq. I mean if you snap like that over something that the CNExpo director decides, which you take out on someone else, then what would happen if your skit didn't win or whatever mabye you'd snap and kill someone. I thought this was supposed to be fun, not vindictive and overtly competitave. I thought cosplay and masqs were to show off your costume and a skit no matter what your cosplaying as. Aparently, in YOUR cosplay world there's no room for si-fi people or anyone else that could potentially take up your coveted spot in the masq. it's people like you that ruin cosplay.
And I was angry upon writing this, but I mean everyword.
I hope you get there when all the spots are filled, I would hate to see that psycho rant go to waste.

Amy the Yu
08-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Well, good job, who's the f*cktard now?? Nice. I would have liked to hear updates and such. Thanks for ruining it. Also, what the heck is wrong with science fiction cosplayers?? I would have to say that I work just as hard as you do on my costume and skit and just because there's more anime people then si-fi doesn't mean you should get first pick. If you don't like the rules don't go to the masq. I realize you were angry at the time you wrote that, but after reading what was in your journal I'd say that's not only not nice but by far the most disturbing thing i've ever read. Congrats for being psycho. It's people like you that mabye shouldn't be in the masq. I mean if you snap like that over something that the CNExpo director decides, which you take out on someone else, then what would happen if your skit didn't win or whatever mabye you'd snap and kill someone. I thought this was supposed to be fun, not vindictive and overtly competitave. I thought cosplay and masqs were to show off your costume and a skit no matter what your cosplaying as. Aparently, in YOUR cosplay world there's no room for si-fi people or anyone else that could potentially take up your coveted spot in the masq. it's people like you that ruin cosplay.
And I was angry upon writing this, but I mean everyword.
I hope you get there when all the spots are filled, I would hate to see that psycho rant go to waste.Whoa, dude, relax. O.o;;

Hidoshi's apologized to Dawn and everyone else. He's even gone as far as to delete his LJ post after he calmed down and realized it was unnecesary.

Don't go around name calling, especially when the person who was attacked most directly has forgiven Hidoshi already.

You can be angry, but remember that this is a public forum, and that was really uncalled for cause flaming's bad even if you're trying to support others.

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 08:54 PM
Yes let's get back to cosplay-love! Everyone get along and lalalallalalala. :cheers:

Sorry just being stupid. Don't mind me.

jade_dincht
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
did you read the lj post?? that was downright demented.... apology accepted or not.

Amy the Yu
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
did you read the lj post?? that was downright demented.... apology accepted or not.Regardless of what was in the LJ post, it has nothing to do with you at this point. The issue had already been resolved, you really need to CALM DOWN and get over it.

jade_dincht
08-03-2005, 09:33 PM
ok, i honestly think your over estimating how angry you may think I am, i said my peace and am now calmly sitting at work colouring. Chill.

Kisa
08-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Sweet Zombie Jesus! (and zombie sci-fi for that matter...)

Go Dawn!

'Bout frickin' time you stoped taking *#&% for every damn temper tantrum thrown by the 'community'

piinku
08-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't mean this to be insulting in any way, but as a n00b cosplayer who was considering entering the masquerade with a bunch of other n00bs (cosplaying... gasp! Naruto, the most mainstream of all anime costumes), I'm a bit frightened now. To say the least, it seems people take the masquerade very seriosuly and feel very strongly about it. I'm frustrated with the cap too, but I agree with it... the Anime North masquerade was great (and my fox-ey sis won an award ^^), but I skipped out at the end because it was so long and missed some great acts (*hangs head in shame*). It sucks that there's such a small amount of spaces for anime cosplayers, but what's the alternative? Give more to anime cosplayers just because there's more people who have some sort of anime costume? *Not* cap the masquerade? I guess it's just one of the few downsides of attending such a diverse con, and to me it seems worth it to be able to attend four or five cons at once.

I liked the idea of pre-registering for the masquerade, in my humble opinion. That seems to be a form of the much-hated "pre-judging", in that those who have prepared a skit and planned in advance have a better shot at getting a space then people who just walk in and make something up just to say they were in an "unofficial" masquerade, which I saw as an idea elsewhere on this site and seemed like a great idea to me. Such a masquerade could remain uncapped and therefore everyone could take part. Maybe we anime fans (and any other fans who would like to take part) could just set a place and time and do an "un-official" masquerade? It seems like a good way to meet other costumers, and maybe get a few good photo ops. However, I assume from here on out that Kaijugal is jsut going to do what she feels best, and that's completely understandable. Just an idea for the rest of us with less on our plates.

Anyways, this is running long and I'm sure I'm just re-iterating everyone's points. Just felt the need to add my two cents, for some reason. Probably the lack of sleep. Also, please don't judge us n00bs if we do make it in - we'll be the Zabuza, ANBU, Hayate, and nine-tailed fox. Hopefully the audio track we slave away on (if we convince our male cosplayers to take part) doesn't go to waste. Thanks. ^^

Kisa
08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
OMGOMG!! Please.. PLEASEEE set up an "unofficial" Masq. Please. :heart: :heart:

I mean, why stress over something that's supposed to be FUN and that people put a lot of time and work into over only to be fucked by hobbystar's Stupid Rules! I'm sure they wouldn't mind us just taking up precious convention space they could use to make us pay extra for and if we make our own fun why bother with the con at all?! I mean, AN ONLY had 160some entries... that's not too many people to crowd together to show off in an unorganized fashion, right? I mean,even if sometimes groups are really big and have 5 or 6 or more people... :heart:
:heart:
Who needs workmanship judging, and a stage, and sound and lighting? I mean, we've dealt without those before. (Oohh, memories...) Hanging out in a hallway of cosplayers is TOTALLY the SAME THING as a Masq!~ :heart: Who needs volunteers who put time and effort into their hobby to give the rest of us some place to exhibit our talent? :drink: :heart:

Best Idea Ever!! :love:

jade_dincht
08-03-2005, 11:03 PM
piinku,
I agree it is kind of scary. after being only in 1 masq ever, I think it should just be for fun. You have some awesome fun with your nautaro skit, and i'll see you in the green room. I agree the masq cap is silly, but, like she said they only have a certain amt of time. so whatever, go with the flow, baby!!

Colsus
08-03-2005, 11:36 PM
i think that if all the slotin other gurase are not full by closing that thay should fill whith the aiman pepal that way every one is happey. but you that is juat an idea. but Dawn ran a graeat masq at AN and i am thinking that this one is going to be grat as well. as i saide if you have a group then you elect 1 member of the group goand wate or do a roting thing that is what i am plaing on doing i hope that eery thing works out in the end and that the masq will be just as good as AN one.

TribalButterfly
08-03-2005, 11:39 PM
I've never been in even ONE Masq ever!
(Although at Anime North 2004, i was just walking by in the dealers room after the registration for the Masq had closed, and the registration lady stopped me and said "WHY DID YOU MISS THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE! UR COSTUME IS GREAT! HERE! HAVE A RIBBON FOR BEST IN HALL!!!" haha! That made me feel great! :) I was so thrilled, i asked the lady to pose for a picture with me!
http://www.rtimgsrv.fotopic.net/p4793922.html see the green ribbon hanging from my belt??? :)
I still have my ribbon, atached to my admissions badge, hanging up in my room! haha!)

But i've never even SEEN the Masq before!!!

At Anime North 2004, i got caught in that huge rainstorm and couldn't get back to the building in time (not that i could have gotten a seat anyways, because it filled up so quickly!)

At CNAnime 2004, i was right at the begining of the line to go in and see the Masq, and the guys at the doors REFUSED to let me go in and watch, because i was wearing an EXIBITOR's PASS!!! Can you believe it!? What a RIP OFF! (I talked to Kaijugal about it though, n she assured me that she had no idea they were doing that, and that she'd do something about that for this year - and that made me very pleased :) !

And AnimeNorth 2005 I didn't get to go to AT ALL!!! Bites!

I'd better get to at least SEE it this year!!!

HAHAHA!

lainey
08-04-2005, 06:49 AM
I think my friends and I were a little spooked (heck...one of my friends got really upset and claimed to stop working on cosplay completely!)...but I've managed to calm them down.

This is what the assistant director said on another forum..I just wanted to repost it so that others can read it..and hopefully..will calm down :D

"And in regards to the numbers, I really think this will work out if people take a deep breath and don't panic! If there is any other possible way to categorize your entry, do so! The total number of entries has been raised significantly over last year, ultimately to accomodate and encourage entries beyond "just" anime - and many people enter under the guise of anime but are frequently from video games, j-rock, etc. (even folks from D2R, as Archangeli pointed out). Also keep in mind that you have a distinct advantage in KNOWING about the caps and the masq. structure - many people are not part of the online community and won't know about this until they arrive. And finally, before I conk out on my keyboard, I'd say continue with your plans. On the off chance that you aren't able to enter at CNX, why not come (back!) to Ad Astra? Or save it for Toronto Trek next year? Anime North - even extend your ideas and use them in the skit contest? There are options, and we are doing the best we can to accomodate everyone. "

And I hope everyone learns from this: Please do not bash out on the masquerade director. Dawn has done more than she should...and I am sure that even though you have apologized...the damage is still done. It unnerves me to see people throwing their anger at her...just relax...take it easy...cosplay is about fun :D

HidoshiNobunaga
08-04-2005, 07:26 AM
The fan-masq sounds like a plenty good idea right now. I'd be up for being in that. The issue I have is sound work mind you, 'cause I've always found our skits work better on stage when we use prerecorded audio. Vocal projection just isn't a strong suit for most of us, methinks.

As to the whole LJ thing, Dawn could you maybe edit that post so it doesn't hold the screenshot? I'd much rather people not misconstrue overt, exaggerated swearing for being 'psycho'. I'd just rather put my moment of prime idiocy behind me.

And Amy: Thanks.

Kaijugal
08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
As to the whole LJ thing, Dawn could you maybe edit that post so it doesn't hold the screenshot? I'd much rather people not misconstrue overt, exaggerated swearing for being 'psycho'. I'd just rather put my moment of prime idiocy behind me.

Since I'm taking your apology as genuine, Done. :)

kuko-chan
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I was worried about a cap at first, but to be quite honest, this is a relief now. Should I decide to enter the sci-fi catagory, it's comforting to know that I have the slightest chance of getting in, whereas in past years, there was a chance of being overshadowed by the more elaborate anime fan costumes (no meaness meant ^^).

As for the fan-masq, with enough support and organizing, you guys could kick it off with Otaking (check out his other thread).

Amy the Yu
08-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Random question.

Wouldn't you be able to enter...say...Sci-fi category even if you were doing a costume from a sci-fi anime (ie. Ghost in the Shell...not the best example, but I'm obsessed, so it musts be mentioned).

And wouldn't costumes that are manga only (or costumes based on manga illustrations) be "comic" as well since manga is really just Japanese comics?

The more I think about it, the more it seems that there are a nice number of loopholes in the new system that will allow for more variety amongst the entries, but still allow some overflow from filled categories to the rest since a lot of popular series (anime or not) tend to fall into multipule categories. XD

TribalButterfly
08-04-2005, 03:24 PM
Random question.

Wouldn't you be able to enter...say...Sci-fi category even if you were doing a costume from a sci-fi anime (ie. Ghost in the Shell...not the best example, but I'm obsessed, so it musts be mentioned).

And wouldn't costumes that are manga only (or costumes based on manga illustrations) be "comic" as well since manga is really just Japanese comics?

The more I think about it, the more it seems that there are a nice number of loopholes in the new system that will allow for more variety amongst the entries, but still allow some overflow from filled categories to the rest since a lot of popular series (anime or not) tend to fall into multipule categories. XD

Yea. That's a good question. I might try to register with my creepy little girl from the ring costume (probubly won't but its always an option) but i know that THAT was also a manga.. so... what catagory would that put ME in? Horror? Comics? TV? .... Haha! do i get my pick??? (anything other than anime ;)!)