PDA

View Full Version : Masquerade question

Kaijugal
08-01-2005, 09:45 AM
I have a query about the judging/point system at the GCAF masquerade.

Rehersal Quality: 5pts
Clarity of Voice/voice tape: 5pts
Creativity: 15pts
Costume Bonus: 20pts
Volume of Voice: 5pts
Total: 50pts

1) It doesn't seem to be possible to get 100% of the mark as volume of voice seems to indicate a presentation that's spoken live on stage, while "clairity of voice tape" obviously means your prerecorded tape. Therefore any group gunning for full points would have to have both prerecorded diolouge AND diolouge spoken live on stage. Strange but possible.
What if their whole presentation is silent? Do they loose those marks?

2) Rehearsal Quality. How can you tell if the presentation was rehearsed if it's merely one person needing no group coordination? Are you discouraging walk ons and single competetors in favor of groups with skits?

AkumaRaven
08-01-2005, 09:27 PM
As I've told a few people. I'm re-making the judging system for next year. I've never really done the whole masquerade thing before, but I learned a lot this year. I'll be making up a whole new sheet with a much more... well, correct judging scheme. The masq. did run VERY smoothly this year, and next year will be a whole lot better. I thank you for actually stepping up and correcting me, as I do need to know what changes to make.

Also, about the rehersal bit, if the group just did a walk-on, i told the judges to disregard that category as well as the voice categories, because obviously there were none, resulting a mark out of 35 instead of 50.

As I said, changes will be made to this years score sheet, and I do hope this answered your questions. Thanks for asking! ^w^

EDIT: Also, if you have any suggestions as to how I should re-make it, please do let me know. It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Schubuttercup
08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
That's the good thing about a first time convention. You learn how things happen, what things clashed which worked out great, plus it allows you to see flaws and what will be expected of you. Now that you've down the 'testrun' you can now start the final product...or does that make this sound corny...Oh well you know what I mean. u_u

Squall1882
08-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Ah yeah that's true.. made me realize something

If a group enters the masq. with no pre-recorded voice and only does a walk on then they get judged out of the 35 instead of the 50 as you said. But if a group does enter with a skit and voice and they don't get full points.. say they get 7 out of that 15.. then is it really fair to still judge them on it when the others are exempt? This assuming in the end the final score is made a percentage and compared to the other. It means the more you do the much higher chance you have the get a lower score then if you don't do any of it at all.

Meh.. but that's life, I"m sure you did an amazing job organizing you said it ran really smoothly.. that doesn't usually happen the first year does it??

I'm sure it will rock even more next year. How many entries did you have in the masq this year?? Any pics of the winners?? lol.. interested to see!!

Sorry I had NAF on the brains.. opps sorry **Removed due to my mixed-up ness**

Schubuttercup
08-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Ne, Squall this was their first year, or were you speaking of another con. @_@ I'm confused.

Squall1882
08-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Ne, Squall this was their first year, or were you speaking of another con. @_@ I'm confused.

I was confused.. sorry .. fixed above post (-_- )'

Kaijugal
08-02-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi AkumaRaven,

I didn't post this with the direct intent of "stepping up and correcting you" but more with a curiosity of the reasoning and applications of the judging system. ^_^ I respectfully approached it with the mindset that you had a potentially 100% flawless system that I just didn't understand. :D (I find that always the safest course to take, since foot in mouth is not comfortable when you wear size 10's. ^_~ )

I was approaching it with the mind of a contestant interested in entering the masquerade and those questions came to mind. :) (Oh Ho! Picking the Masquerade Director's brain about what the judges are looking for, even I do it.) :D

It's not an easy thing to do building a from the ground up with little or no help to be sure so I did I approach the question bearing in mind that it was your first year running a masquerade and one with a completely new rules system at that. This is why I illuminated my specific concerns, as I was unsure if you had a system in place to account for these conflicts or a specific combination of criteria you were looking for.

As you say you are retooling your way of judging/scoring, I'll ask no more questions until you've settled on your new way. :)

It's good to hear your masquerade went smoothly. You never know with masquerades, they're often a case of the best laid plans of mice and men going horribly wrong no matter how much preperation goes into them. *wry chuckle of experience* Having your first one go well was surely welcome :)
I hadn't heard a peep about the GCAF masquearde this year from anyone, but it nice that now I finally have been able to hear some first hand details about it. ^_^

If you ever feel I could be of some help to you, feel free to contact me on ICQ, MSN or here via a PM. I would even be willing to send you the judging /scoring chapter from the ICG book on running masquerades if you're interested. Either way I wish you well with your show next year. And look forward to seeing how it develops. :)

Cheers!

As I've told a few people. I'm re-making the judging system for next year. I've never really done the whole masquerade thing before, but I learned a lot this year. I'll be making up a whole new sheet with a much more... well, correct judging scheme. The masq. did run VERY smoothly this year, and next year will be a whole lot better. I thank you for actually stepping up and correcting me, as I do need to know what changes to make.

Also, about the rehersal bit, if the group just did a walk-on, i told the judges to disregard that category as well as the voice categories, because obviously there were none, resulting a mark out of 35 instead of 50.

As I said, changes will be made to this years score sheet, and I do hope this answered your questions. Thanks for asking! ^w^

EDIT: Also, if you have any suggestions as to how I should re-make it, please do let me know. It would be much appreciated. Thank you!

AkumaRaven
08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm glad that I could be of some help to you, Kaijugal, and I'll be sure to contact you if I get stuck somewhere. ^w^

And yes, I am very pleased that it ran as well as it did.

Squall1882(long time no talk o.o), as I said, it was the first time, and I guess almost a 'test-run' for me. I do realize that my judging scheme had it's rather obvious flaws, which I can blame myself for mainly due to my lack of experience with masquerades.

As for the number of entrants, we had only 3 in the advanced category(^^;) and about 22 in the beginner category.

As for the masq running smoothly, I think it's because I kept it reletively simple... or perhaps I just got lucky. o.o; And no, I didn't have a chance to take any pictures this year as I had to host, and my camera was locked in the staff room. >.< Unless someone else took pictures, I'm afraid I have none... but I will next year! ~.^

I know for a fact next year will be a whole lot better, and I hope more people decide to enter. Thanks for your input! It really helps. ^^