PDA

View Full Version : Losing weight and Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

mokulen22
08-01-2005, 01:20 PM
Jumping on DarknessSummit’s band wagon (i.e his thread on attractiveness in cosplay), I was wondering if anyone here found cosplay a motivation for weight loss?

About four years ago I decided I needed to drop some pounds (5”7 and over 200 pounds…yeah I was a bit over-weight teehee..Damn you Tim Horton’s pastries!) My first cosplay, Sakura (Naruto) was a bit on the fat-no-jitsu side. I found it was very motivating to picture myself in a tighter cosplay…sort of kept me on track after that. At Anime North 2005 I felt a lot more comfortable in my (smaller) body, I felt so darn pretty in my cosplay!

Just wondering if anyone else had such an experience?

NOTE: This thread is not about dieting; It's to ask if anyone felt cosplay was a motivation for their personal weight loss. I made some changes to make this clear

Shinigami_Mimi
08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Before I ever cosplayed I always wanted to lose weight, and it's kinda a habit that I want to keep losing it till I reach 120 or 115lbs. Only 10 lbs to go. XD Woo. Lol. But yeah, a lot of ppl do lose weight just for cosplaying. It's a good feeling being the same weight as your character.

dragulinainvers
08-01-2005, 01:53 PM
i am working on loosing weight, just to be happier about myself. I dont like how i look, and think that if i am healthier and a little thinner everything would be good. and cosplaying would be a plus ^^;;Though some body types, (mine) will never be really skinny (so much for cosplaying as Thief rikku ^^;;). And be careful with the whole loosing weight rapidly...yo yo diets are bad, because once you are off of one you gain the weight faster.

UsagiNoSenshi
08-01-2005, 02:14 PM
I'd love to drop a few pounds, and cosplay is really the only thing that motivates me enought to get off my butt and do something! XP

Yusuke Urameshi
08-01-2005, 02:33 PM
Yes...I keep in shape mainly because of cosplay. Dieting is bad.....The trick to losing weight is getting rid of junk food. I lost 10-15 pounds by just not eating any sort of junk food, like chips, McDonalds, greasy foods, etc. Instead of eating a snack to hold you over until lunch or dinner....just drink water. That "snack" could have just the same amount of calories and such as a full meal, and it wont even fill you up. The key to losing weight is "eating". When you just stop eating....your metabolism slows down, so it makes it near impossible to lose weight....and then when you do eat alot (like at a party or celebration or such) you gain alot. If you just eat regularly and healthily, you can easily lose 15 pounds...and you dont even have to do any excersie. Although, you could add excercise to drop some more weight.
And it's not just losing weight....you have to gain some muscle. Doing light exercises with dumbbells repetatively can tone your arms and such.

Maayacola
08-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Well, i lost about a 60 pounds, and that gave me the ability to start cosplay. Because heck-- people already used to stare at me because I was 5'5 and weighed more than my mother, why not have them stare at me for something completely different-- something I could control!

So really, yeah. Confidence is upped by weightloss, and i think confidence is what makes good cosplay.

Dewprincess
08-01-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm not that big to start with, but when I found out that I had gained 15 pounds since last year, I really decided I wanted to slim down again and cosplay has been a big motivator to me. I don't think anyone would really want to see fat hanging out of my new sailor fuku ;) I'm about 2 pounds short of my current goal (120 lbs) at the moment. I may try for 115, but only if I feel it's a plausible goal without doing a bad crash diet or not eating (I've learned from experience that this is BAD.)

jai
08-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah, like you, I'm on the (very) heavy side.. still am, but since I decided to cosplay, I've been exercising more (haven't lost weight) but definately got more defined muscles which makes me feel better about cosplaying.

MissLauren
08-01-2005, 09:14 PM
my back doctor told me to work out or he'd kick my ass. im 4'10 and 114lbs, and im very happy with where i am. ._O i cant see myself losing more weight, even if it was for cosplay.

esantiago7292
08-01-2005, 09:17 PM
im trying to lose weight, it's not working, but im doing my best but emotional problem are getting me down T_T

Firestar
08-01-2005, 09:27 PM
not just for cosplay, but i'd love to just go thinner and thinner. honestly, i could probably be one of those anerexic bone sticking out of body people and still be like... eep... im fat. i dont know. it'd be nice to be able to work down to a 1 or 0 pant size, but i doubt i can do that. damn you self conciousness.

ckeody
08-01-2005, 09:32 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying Zabuza from Naruto (the shirtless version) so I'll have to work on getting some muscle tone in my stomach region (AKA a four or six pack) xD. As for losing weight, I haven't gone on any diets or weight loss regimens for any costumes and I plan to keep it that way (hopefully....)

Shota
08-01-2005, 09:35 PM
Although I only weigh 112 lbs, I think I could stand to lose some weight and 'tone up' a bit. Especially since I'm quite short (5'3'').

Heh, but I could never give up junk food. I do drink water, and only eat fast food every now and then--but I could never stick to a regular healthy diet. I would much rather eat what I want and live happily. I have, however, started excersizing more often. I walk whenever I can and do at leat 25 push-ups a day. It's not much, but my body does feel more energized after doing one of these activities.

Yusuke Urameshi
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
I eat (or atleast try to eat) fastfoods about once a month, and instead of sodas I drink juices and green tea (one green tea brand had 5 calories per serving....compared to 180 per soda). Green tea in particular is an antioxidant and it really helps to purify the body and keep everything running smoothly. Sodas on the other hand...kill your kidneys, and all that sugar turns to fat, not to mention all of the sodium and other stuff.....Green tea has about the same amount of caffine as sodas, so once you start to drink tea, you dont really crave sodas anymore...

Green tea>>Sodas

Jujubeans
08-01-2005, 09:51 PM
I'll sometimes go on a diet during the cosplay season to slim down. Habits take me down afterwards though. ^_^; I'm so bad... but I'll have to do better for my Demon Chrno cosplay next year... gotta tape my boobies or something.

DarknessSummit
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
lol, well it would seem that loss of weight would be a big concern for cosplay, well me too, trying to slim my body down and get rid of my fat;-; good thing two days ago, i learned a special stretch to get rid of the tummy roundness fat that kinda slips out on the sides.............its really effective.......10 mins each time, 3 times a day, no equipments necessary^^.........

Firestar
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I eat (or atleast try to eat) fastfoods about once a month, and instead of sodas I drink juices and green tea (one green tea brand had 5 calories per serving....compared to 180 per soda). Green tea in particular is an antioxidant and it really helps to purify the body and keep everything running smoothly. Sodas on the other hand...kill your kidneys, and all that sugar turns to fat, not to mention all of the sodium and other stuff.....Green tea has about the same amount of caffine as sodas, so once you start to drink tea, you dont really crave sodas anymore...

Green tea>>Sodas

yeah. green tea is a much better thing to drink than soda. not to mention that there are rumors now that it speeds up your matabolisom... (stfu, i killed the spelling) but yeah. its not a fact yet that it does actually do that.

Yusuke Urameshi
08-01-2005, 10:06 PM
lol, well it would seem that loss of weight would be a big concern for cosplay, well me too, trying to slim my body down and get rid of my fat;-; good thing two days ago, i learned a special stretch to get rid of the tummy roundness fat that kinda slips out on the sides.............its really effective.......10 mins each time, 3 times a day, no equipments necessary^^.........

does it work?
I'd love to know how to do that.....I have a slight problem with my love handles.

mariksgrl
08-01-2005, 10:15 PM
i've had problems with my wieght but lately i have been losing wieght cause my mom has this wierd genetic thing that i have and apparently the older i get the skinnier i get but i would like to tone my body and im working on my arms but yeah if you can try not to eat so much junk foods and like i dont know get a normal diet going it usually works o.o (im stupid)

Sporkstress
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
I've lost about 20 lbs since I've started cosplaying. It wasn't for cosplay though... but because I was overweight and started to get too big. When I realized how big of a pants size I had to buy at one point... I decided it was time to start losing weight though. I didn't diet though, but cut back on foods and excersize more. I'm incredibly happy I did too, I can fit my old pants and my old shirts look good on me again... and I generaly feel happier about myself.

Though I didn't do it for cosplay, it's a great modivation.

Suzushichan
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
man, lookin' good ain't easy. ;) DDR, In the Groove, Para Para, Taiko Drum master, YEAH! that's the way to burn calories~! oh, but i also count my calories and stuff too.

~suzushi :cool:

DarknessSummit
08-01-2005, 10:57 PM
does it work?
I'd love to know how to do that.....I have a slight problem with my love handles.

yup it works........over a period of time....u have one hand on ur waist, ur body bends that way, and ur other hand lends over the same way :dance: something like thiss....anyway, u lean over for a certain amount of time, then switch to the other side, its strecthes the muscle there in the tummy area, theres other ways too, but i cant explain it well enough in words...but from wat i said so far, do this for about like 10 mins, three times a day....and do it everyday....after a couple of weeks u would lose a couple of cms or so

DarknessSummit
08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
i've had problems with my wieght but lately i have been losing wieght cause my mom has this wierd genetic thing that i have and apparently the older i get the skinnier i get but i would like to tone my body and im working on my arms but yeah if you can try not to eat so much junk foods and like i dont know get a normal diet going it usually works o.o (im stupid)
thats the metabolism kicking in.......different people have different speeds of metabolism, it depends how fast and how much ur body absorbs nuitrition and stuff...and how much it uses the energy, so i guess ur moms gene is kicking in

tfcreate
08-01-2005, 11:17 PM
If you're really serious about loosing weight, then FIRST talk to your doctor.
But keep in mind, anime bodies are about as far from realistic as you can get, so just try to be the best you that you can be. I'm at 5'10, 210, and I like the fact that I can bench 300lbs. I doubt that Cloud Strife can do that. :lol:
TFC

Rain Miko
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Well, the numbers on the scales don't bother me. It's when I look in the mirror, and can see blubber sticking out of my pants. I'm not worried about losing weight, just getting more in shape and trying to eat healthier. I swear, looking back at what I eat, I wouldn't be suprised if I dropped dead from all the junk.

Andrea
08-02-2005, 12:45 AM
My first time cosplaying at a con, I went to the bathroom and looked in a mirror halfway through the day, and went "....ACK." Because I was wearing a gold bikini (the character was an exotic dancer) and when I raised my arms, you could see my ribs. Then I got pictures developed, and my legs looked like sticks.

Cosplay made me wish I could GAIN weight. But I just couldn't seem to. Eating until I felt sick only managed to make me maintain weight. I think I've managed to gain maybe 5 pounds, but then I've gained some muscle since then too, so I may have lost the much-needed padding around my middle by now. -_- Oh well, the muscle definition gives me a better body image (as does having a girlfriend who thinks I'm cute), so I'm at least happy to cosplay characters with bare shoulders now... dunno if my ribs still stick out so much or my legs are so stick-like that seeing those parts of me is gross. But since I mostly crossplay, it's not like I have a lot of bared torsos and legs.

AnimegirlParnaz
08-02-2005, 01:22 AM
When anime expo 2005 was coming up I was planning on cosplaying as the girl dancer from final fantasy tactics(I'm 23 and 4'9), so 2 months before AX I started doing 100-200 crunches everday. Then I worked out using a dvd about scuplting the abs by doing pilates. By the time AX approach I thought I was still fat so I ended up starving myself to lose weight. I know that is very bad but I was running out of time. :lost:

Jujubeans
08-02-2005, 01:54 AM
I'll be the broken record for you all. Watch the scene in "Bring it On" where Cruise's char talks about starving yourself... that's actually true. XD I just like bringing that part up.

East less processed foods and more organic foods.

Evali
08-02-2005, 02:13 AM
I ended up losing about 25 pounds this year due to better diet and more exercise. At this point I'm happy with how much I weigh, but I'd like to transform some of it from fat -> muscle since I like doing tough girl characters.

Since someone mentioned it, remember: You cannot drop fat from a certain spot by exercising that spot! Your genetics determine where you put on fat in what order, in order to lose fat cardiovascular exercise is still best.

DarknessSummit
08-02-2005, 04:50 AM
well for me i gain pounds and lose pounds like crazy.....like when im lazy over the winter to summer, i gain like 10 to 20 pounds, but later on i lose that...my normal weight is 170, i dunno wats my weight now but i hope its around that...

and also i beginning to suspect the mystery behing most japanese skinniness....it could be the gene but i think its the busy life of walking so much everyday....i feel myself getting lighter too(im currently in japan for japanese class, been here for six weeks)

Ironekilz
08-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I haven't tried to lose weight for cosplay (kind of too lazy), but I really would love to lose weight and tone up. I'll be getting my own place and relying upon my own cooking skills instead of my mom's, so I'll be sure to buy less tempting foods (I have no willpower!). I'll also be within walking distance of public transportation and several shopping centers, so I'll be walking more and driving less.

I will agree that starvation diets are terrible. When I was in England for a study abroad program I walked everyday for 3 months and barely ate because the grocery store was so far away. I would have cereal for breakfast, if I was going to my tutorials I would get something from KFC or McDonald's and then have dinner later, always something easy like pizza or spaghetti. I didn't eat often, so I was always really hungry, and what I did eat wasn't very good for me. I did end up losing weight, but I was always tired and I got sick a lot.

My older sister has had success with the "raw" diet. She mainly eats unprocessed fruits, vegetables and nuts, though if she's really craving something she'll let herself have it once in awhile. She says she has a lot more energy and she sleeps better at night. Plus, she's losing weight, which has always been hard for her to do.

Vicky
08-02-2005, 08:56 AM
I want to tone my body, but not because of cosplay.

Dewprincess
08-02-2005, 09:36 AM
not just for cosplay, but i'd love to just go thinner and thinner. honestly, i could probably be one of those anerexic bone sticking out of body people and still be like... eep... im fat. i dont know. it'd be nice to be able to work down to a 1 or 0 pant size, but i doubt i can do that. damn you self conciousness.

Be very careful about that and make sure that your goals are within reason. When I was a size 0, I actually WAS anorexic and that's not good! (It's also not good that one of my size 0s was a great pair of pants and now I can't wear it again....grr) Find out what is a good, reasonable size for your build and at what weight you feel your healthiest! :heart:

mokulen22
08-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Be very careful about that and make sure that your goals are within reason. When I was a size 0, I actually WAS anorexic and that's not good! (It's also not good that one of my size 0s was a great pair of pants and now I can't wear it again....grr) Find out what is a good, reasonable size for your build and at what weight you feel your healthiest! :heart:

I agree with you 100% I disn't start this thread to promote crash dieting; that wasn't my intention at all. I lost the weight by completely changing my eating habits and I did it slowly (lost 75 lb in four years). So, if anyone is plannin on losing weight (for what ever reason) PLEASE do it safely. :heart: :heart:

Parasaurolophus
08-02-2005, 10:29 AM
<sigh> this type of thread comes up about every 3 months, and it usually gets shut down once suggestions for "starvation diets" or "cabbage soup diets" start popping up. The following list isn't even all the results from the 1st page of searching.
Weight loss/maintaining is possible, but its not as easy as the "5 min workout a day!" or "pop a pill, lose 10 lbs!" You need some level of discipline, and ideally, a combination of performance eating, progressive weight resistance, and cardio training. Notice how there's no "diet" in the above sentence. By thinking of your body as a machine, it is possible to safely lose weight for the long term. For anyone who is truely serious, see my links below. This should also be discussed w/ your doctor, etc etc.

Yes, being happy with your body is important for self confidence, and as cosplay is a visual medium, appearance can be an important factor. I know everyone wants to add their $0.02, but if you truely have new information, you could revive an older thread.

Changing yourself for cosplay (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=63629&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
Dietary Thread (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=51187&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
Weight and Dieting (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5628&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
Get fit for cosplay (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=61254&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
Overweight Cosplayers (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=53052&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
"The Great Cosplay Diet/Workout" (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32551&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay) (of course, not endorsed by cosplay.com)
Weight issues and Rikku costume (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=47896&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
Losing weight for cosplay (http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=46014&highlight=losing+weight+cosplay)
So you know, I'm not just being pissy for the sake of it. I'm just pointing out this isn't a new thread....

Vicky
08-02-2005, 11:10 AM
Personally I'm getting sick of seeing these topics.
Search engine people, it's always better to post in an existing topic than make a new one!

mokulen22
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I wasn't even talking about dieting,(someone else brought it up) and secondly I just said not to diet in the post before yours (did you even read this thread before putting in your two cent) I feel VERY annoyed to be lectured about something (that if you read my first post) would know I’ve already quite aware of.

This thread is not about dieting or how to get skinning it’s not even really about people who have ALREADY done so; my intention was to ask if anyone felt cosplay was a motivation for their personal weight loss. I’d like to point out I NEVER used the word “diet” either.

now, before I get flames for my over-reaction (I'm pissy at work..sue me)

Vicky
08-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Relax.

You stated in your original post:
I was wondering if anyone here found cosplay a motivation for weight loss?
If you had done a search you'd have found TONS of examples.

here are some similar forums, which I just realized were already posted:
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=63629
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=5628
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=59240
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=32551
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=46014

second of all, offending people is never a good way to get your point across. If anything you're just going to piss off more people, people who don't really care. Some people may have misunderstood your question, but welcome to the world of "generalities". Anytime you mention COSPLAY and WEIGHT LOSS you're going to hear about people's diets.

mokulen22
08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I got some food in my system, so now I'm no longer in a pissy mood, sorries (too all readin' this)..I suppose I felt I was the one being adressed personally, seeing as I started the thread--I now see that was not the intentions of the two last posters (one PMed me and was VERY nice :) ),

In my defence I didn't say anything about dieting, so I was like "wtf?" and it got me alittle peeved off. I still stand by and say my post IS different than others (which I have read before) 'cause I didn't ask how you to lose weight (already did that), it was about motivation, but I wasn't clear enough, I understand that. So, I changed the first post.

I hope we can move on from this before my thread is closed :P

Ja ne

Vicky
08-02-2005, 01:49 PM
I can understand that, thank you very much for addressing it like a mature individual (it's rare, believe me) :)
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but just trying to help.

Evolution
08-02-2005, 03:40 PM
I don't let this little hobby of mine dictate any factors of my life that are as important as what I eat...I'm in wrestling and I'm also hypoglycemic, so I kinda HAVE to watch what I eat daily...as to cosplay and weight...it's simple:

I only see many of the people I meet at cons a few times a year...and I'm not exactly going these cons to please or show off to anyone...If there's a costume I may not exactly fit the body type for, but I want to do anyway, then I do it anyway.

DarknessSummit
08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
well we all tone up our bodies from many reasons, attractiveness....to be healthy....and for cosplay....although this may not be the same for everyone, its about the same

Firu
08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Heck, if anything I need to gain weight, I'm skinny but tall.

MadCadaver
08-02-2005, 07:14 PM
I don't let this little hobby of mine dictate any factors of my life that are as important as what I eat...I'm in wrestling and I'm also hypoglycemic, so I kinda HAVE to watch what I eat daily...as to cosplay and weight...

I also wrestle, neat-o. :dance:

And if you all didn't know, weight is wrestling. If you do not meet the weight you are wrestling at, you do not wrestle. Making weight is a huge deal, obviously. I'm about 5'9" and I weight 123 pounds. Probably less, now, since I just started again. I know that this is less than I'm supposed to be... The summer before my freshman year, I had just hit 100 pounds. (I'm a senior now.) Last season I cut weight - I was 116, maybe an inch shorter. And, slowly, I tried to cut down to 114, so I could qualify for the 112 weight class - didn't make it. I stopped eating lunch, and I don't eat breakfast anyway. These previous posts are good advice, so listen to them. If cosplay is motivating you to lose weight, for God's sake, don't fucking starve yourself.

I'm now more motivated to gain weight.

halfdemongurl
08-02-2005, 07:35 PM
i dont really need motivation to be skinny... i'd just like some motivation to work out >.<

Angel Tifa
08-03-2005, 12:31 AM
I remember before I started cosplaying officially, I wanted to lose weight(5' 3", and 180 pounds at the time), so I could fit into my Tifa Lockhart mini skirt again. But it wasn't just because of that; I really wanted to be a healthier woman ;)! So then when I went on my diet(eating sensible healthy meals, and water with two meals a day), I droped 25 pounds. When I did lose weight, I felt healthier, so much better, I think better, and feel more flexible :D! For me, it's more than just cosplay. If people want to lose weight, it shouldn't be just for beauty and cosplaying imo. If it's also because you want to be healthy, it's good for you ;).

So yes, I completley understand the feeling ;). I felt so much better cosplaying, after I lost weight. But like I said, it felt better, cosplaying and while not cosplaying ;). It's a wonderful healthy feeling ;).

Firestar
08-04-2005, 04:28 AM

yeah. i understand all the risks involved with that. i've been to the doctor for eatting habits in the past. they took a blood test and i was low in like, all of these areas because i wasnt eatting... almost at all. and if i did eat, it was something unhealthy like starbucks or gum or something. i really have tryed everything, the healthy ways, and the not so healthy ways... and it seems that the not healthy ways work better. i tryed purging for awhile honestly, even if i usually dont like talking about that. so i guess thats good. but my goal still is to fit into a size 0 again. im pretty close... so i can hope it'll happen soon.

TribalButterfly
08-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm not really heavy, but i wouldn't mind toning up my tummy some :)

rayquo
08-05-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm not really heavy, but i wouldn't mind toning up my tummy some :)

Haha, me neither :P Cosplay tends to keep me doing crunches every summer to keep my stomach flat ;;

I'd much rather diet for cosplay purposes than diet for anything else.

Crystal Theif
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm not big or anything like that, though I wouldn't mind a flatter stumach. Plus, I used to be a little bit bigger, and I still can't lose the behind, if you know what I mean.
I think, before I do any of the short skirt, shorts out fits, yes, I'd like to loose a little bit of weight. But Cosplaying isn't my only reason. I'd also just like to be able to wear the really cool jeans and such on a normal, day-to-day basis. But yeah, Cosplay has a little bit to do with it. I'm going on a diet, right now. No candy, junk food. I'll eat good meals, and lots of water. ;p I wanna be able to fit into that Yuna costume most of all, at the moment.

TribalButterfly
08-05-2005, 04:22 PM
HEY! I think i lost some weight lately actually!
I just tried on my LUST costume for CNAnime and i'm no longer afraid of it busting at the seams when i sit down! HAHAHA! SWEET!

tfcreate
08-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I made a stunning discovery about exercising.... actually, Idiot that I am, I just forgot. I was 3 months into my weightlifting programme when one of my trainers reminded me that MUSCLE IS HEAVIER THAN FAT!!!! :eek:
I had gained 20lbs before I asked someone who knew.... Oh well... live and learn..... (stupid trainers....) j/k
TFC

ReiRei21
08-05-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight before I go to Anime Iowa next month..what I'm going to do is eat alot of steamed veggies and stay away from the junk food as much as I can. Granted, I'm going to get tired of veggies, but I want to look at least ok in my custome.

strawberrykitte
08-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Im trying to lose weight to get ready for my Gunner Yuna and Gunmage Yuna I want to feel skinny instead of fat in them

ParaPara*Tsu
08-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, and the DDR and Colorguard work isn't helping me (has been gaining wieght with exercize)

WadeGabriel
08-07-2005, 10:29 AM
IMO, losing weight is always a good thing (especially for health reasons) provided you don't go starve yourself to death at it. ;) And I was once told that exercising increases your metabolism, so that you'll continue burning up energy at a faster rate as your body tries to rejuvenate, even after you've exercised.

livvylove
08-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Kinda, I got a commission and I gave her measurements that I had padded so incase I did gain a bit of weight it would still fit. Well I got the skirt back and she had also added an inch to the waist band from the measurement that I gave her and it still didn't fit :( So I have been trying to loose 2 inches from my waist. I know why I gained the weight but I am hoping to loose it the right way instead of going back on the medication I was on.

Yuka Kawai
08-07-2005, 04:00 PM
I went on a diet earlier this year that involved counting calories (with a better diet of course) because I'm going to Japan next year and looking at all the idols and how skinny everyone is I got really self concious. ^_^; I ended up losing a good amount of weight (it turns out a pill I switched from to another one had a weight gain side effect too). I would have exercised but I had some kind of unexplainable problem at the time that was like anemia but didn't show up as anemia when I was tested for it...that's passed.

ANYWAY my point is that I didn't lose weight FOR cosplay, but I finally gained the confidence that I could cosplay something like Faye Valentine, which is something I've wanted to do for a while. Except now my plane leaves the day of Otakon so now I have to wait until next year. ^_^;

Dewprincess
08-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Kinda, I got a commission and I gave her measurements that I had padded so incase I did gain a bit of weight it would still fit. Well I got the skirt back and she had also added an inch to the waist band from the measurement that I gave her and it still didn't fit :( So I have been trying to loose 2 inches from my waist. I know why I gained the weight but I am hoping to loose it the right way instead of going back on the medication I was on.

Medication....was it thyroid related, perchance? I was on that for a while and I have an appointment Tuesday to check my levels again, I'm almost positive I have to go back on it. It's a legit excuse for having higher weight than desired but I hope this helps to control it!

MissLauren
08-07-2005, 09:37 PM
I made a stunning discovery about exercising.... actually, Idiot that I am, I just forgot. I was 3 months into my weightlifting programme when one of my trainers reminded me that MUSCLE IS HEAVIER THAN FAT!!!! :eek:
I had gained 20lbs before I asked someone who knew.... Oh well... live and learn..... (stupid trainers....) j/k
TFC

that happened to me recently. i was all 'where the hell did i gain 10lbs from?!?!'

and then it dawned on me, that muscle weighs more then fat, and all was good again.

Flicker
08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Cosplay is not my main incentive for getting FIT, that would actually be my archaeology classes. I'd like to be able to go out during a field program and not be out of breath. Pretty much endurance is the idea, along with getting at least a little less flabby.

I know I'm a curvy girl and I'll always be one, so cosplay's incentive for weight loss is just minor. For the work I plan on doing, those pounds I have in weight will turn into pounds of muscle.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's only minor because I can't see myself going down a dress size and looking like a perfect Tifa. It's an incentive in that I see myself in a photo and go 'oh my goodness I look so...' and then I desire to have a little less tummy and a little more buns of steel. ^.^

So year, a little more 'adverage girl'/health reasons and a little less cosplay reasoning if that makes any sense.

xinababo
08-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Haha I'd have to admit that cosplay is the #1 reason why I want to lose these...40 lbs.. =_=;

The 2nd main reason is because every single guy that has EVER hinted that I was "FAT" can kiss my yellow a55 and if they ever start talking to me again only because of improved physical appearance, I'd like to stomp on their shallow faces and tell them they're too ugly(inside of course) :O An example of what my "friend" said to me "jokingly" was, "Oh! I thought Asian girls were supposed to be skinny!" But then he got yelled at by my other friend that he had a crush on so it's all good 8D

Those guys that said those things to me and lowered my confidence down to negative 100.....they will get their butts kicked eventually...

But yes, I also want to become much more confident within myself and cosplay better as well :3

Akana
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
I myself am 5'7" and over 200 pounds. I'm trying to loose a bunch of weight for november for a convention so I've assigned my wrestler boyfriend to show me the tricks of loosing inches in a short period of time. I have my fingers crossed and i hope it works out!

CelestialAurora
08-07-2005, 10:43 PM
i don't really care about losing weight. i've never really had a problem with that. sometimes i do look at myself in the mirror and think that i have fat here or i have fat there. but i don't dwell on it too much. ^^ but i do try to eat a bit more healthy as a con approaches. i don't want to not be able to fit in my cosplay costume. but then i don't stop eating and go on a diet because then the costume would be too loose on me.

Beware_UY7
08-07-2005, 11:04 PM
I always end up gaining weight at the beginning of summer due to inactivity, so I'm in my worst shape of the year when I go to summer conventions. This summer, I was like ten pounds over my normal weight when I went to AX and it made me feel incredibly self-concsious.
I've dropped that weight, so I'm 5'8"/145lbs. I'd like to stay active, so I can tone up, though. Maybe some day I'll cosplay a sexy character [I always end up crossplaying, just because of my height]. Means I have to stop avoiding the gym. I'm trying.

cold kittn
08-08-2005, 01:50 AM
My first time cosplaying was Fujiko Mine from Lupin the Third this year at Anime Next...I lost a few pounds for this because of the dress the I decided to make. I went from 210 or 215 to 190..I'm pretty happy about it....now that I'm cosplaying Chun Li in October I have to start weight training and toning my legs. You can't be Chun Li without awesome legs right?

Tenchan
08-08-2005, 03:25 AM
I gained weight over the last years, and it upset me a bit, but I never really felt like doing something about it ... until I started on a costume for me and had to find out I had sawn it two sizes too small. I was so extremely crushed and shocked, because never before had I really been aware of my weight. I refuse to sew this costume again in something that feels oversized to me, so, losing weight it is. Guess you could call that motivation.

Beware_UY7
08-08-2005, 07:52 AM
cold kittn- Wow! That's great that you were able to get leaner for a cosplay! Good luck on that getting lean!

Tenchan- Well, when most people decide to diet/exercise, they have a pair of tight jeans they want to fit in. When a cosplayer diets/exercises, its to fit into a costume! And when you can retire old costumes because they're too big on you, its not a bad thing! (And if you really love them, you can just refit them to your new size.)

livvylove
08-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Medication....was it thyroid related, perchance? I was on that for a while and I have an appointment Tuesday to check my levels again, I'm almost positive I have to go back on it. It's a legit excuse for having higher weight than desired but I hope this helps to control it!
No not thyroid related. But still I want to loose the 2 inches I gained around my waist line.

duckyblues
08-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Im....Comfortable with my weight [usually around 110] but I have a heredity thing that when I do gain weight it goes STRAIGHT to my belly and arms. So for two [Or one XD] weeks before a convention I go on a fruits, veggies and 15 minutes of excersize diet.

Yeterday I bid Adieu to my belove chocolate parfait in an all out pigfest since Otakon is next week =DD

RPGoddess
08-09-2005, 12:23 AM
I've always had the need to lose... not pounds, but body fat. I never had much motivation, seeing as I felt fine in everything I wore. But when playing a character, I just think it matters a bit more than everyday life to look nice in your outfit. I don't think that's motivating me enough yet, because at 5'7" and 130lbs, I don't feel like I need to lose anything, I still look good in costumes.
I can always work around cosplaying slim, form-fitting, skin-showing costumes until I get more experienced and actually want to try something exciting like that. THEN I'll lose the fat, which isn't much. I'd exercise to be fit rather than slim, anyway. Looking good is one thing, but being able to jump around and fake-fight and just have fun in your warrioress costume is another, more important thing in my mind.

SA1K0R0
08-10-2005, 08:39 PM
As a personal trainer in progress, the best advice is to give it time and just do the right thing. Think about it.... if you want to lose weight and dont follow the proper procedures, you will find yourself distraught and even farther behind. Ive been training myself for about 5 years now, and everything I know is self taught through hard work. If it took you 3 years to expand your waistline, then do not expect the weight to come off quickly. And the quicker you lose it, the quicker it will come back to haunt you.

A few tips:

1 - Slowly omit junk foods. Although you love those pies (Or whatever they were, stophers??), you have to make some sacrifice to make ends meet. It took me about 6 months to finally adjust to a healthy diet. I cut things out SLOWLY. Soda was first, then sugary foods, etc. I now have no more than 75 grams of sugar a day!!

2 - Define your puropse: Long term, or short term?? For personal reasons, or to impress someone (You can see how all of what Im saying ties into Con's and costumes)?? The sooner you define a purpose, the clearer your goal will be and work will become more apparent to you.

3 - Keep yuor goals realistic: losing 20 pounds in three weeks isnt a realistic goal, unless if your carrying around a ton of water weight.... or the fact that you forgot about that backpack!! LOL Seriously though, your outcome should be within reason, or you will find yourself failing constantly. And thats what your trying to avoid.

And finally.... have fun!! Keep things exciting and fresh. Fitness is a lifestyle, not some hobby or something you do on the weekends for the hell of it.

But thats just me....

Good luck with whatever you may persue,

-Damien A.K.A. SA1K0R0

RPGoddess
08-10-2005, 10:55 PM
A few tips:

1 - Slowly omit junk foods.

2 - Define your puropse: Long term, or short term??

3 - Keep your goals realistic.

That's some good advice.
1) I think that aside from my once-a-month snacking of junkfood, I only consume a lot of pop (or "soda" or whatever you prefer to call it) year round.
2) Although I would want to impress, being healthy is far more important, and I'd want to keep up a healthy weight, diet and look for life.
3) No worries there, I won't be losing barely any weight, and just body fat.
Hmm... I think I'll jog home ^^

I remember hearing on the radio about how little changes make a big difference. Like getting up to change the channel on the TV, mowing the lawn with a push-mower, walking instead of driving, etc. Those kinds of changes really help, too.

nekhochan
08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Most definatly! I cosplayed at Misty from Pokemon at AI of 2003 and I was around 160lbs. The shorts dug into my stomach, and having that costume be all bare arms and centered around the middle of the body, I felt so gross. I was never comfortable in that body, and when I saw the photos I was mortified. I did Selphie and Rei Ayanami that year as well...heres some pic links:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240331
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240318
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=240327

Next year, I was a bit better. I'd lost maybe 7 lbs. and made a new Selphie dress.
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=252851

And then I moved out of MO, got happy and active and such...and started pilates to prepare for the ultimate naked costume- Sailor Star Healer!!!
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=295006

And I just kept feeling more and more brave, so I did this:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=408938

And I even managed to snag a cute boy that night dressed as Han Solo and make him mine. ^_^

So yes, costuming is a huge motivation for me. I know that I have a 2 week pre-con routine that I get into where I cut out all salt and pop and crap food and drink insane amounts of water. The only disadvantage to that is that this year my costumes were a bit too loose because I actually finished them before I did my 2 week cleanse! My wonder woman armor had a gap I could put my hand inbetween my body and the armor!

kels
08-11-2005, 01:43 PM
o___o..
nehkochan: holy.. i dont have the motivation at all

or actually..like of course i want to lose weight.. alot actually.. but its worse when people nag about how i have to ose weight over and over again.. that just makes me frustrated, and makes me not wan tot exercise even more.. the thing is.. of course i would like do to a "sexier cosplay".. but the thing is.. with my body.. ill spare others their vision and pass on that.. -____-.. my main problem is probably lack of exercise and motivation tho.. but for me its so hard to get motivated because i start thiking like.. "oh why should i bother.. it wont do anything..".. and then i would just give up.. BLAH!!!

someone motivate me!!

RPGoddess
08-11-2005, 01:51 PM
It's just a personal thing, but I don't think people who are slightly overweight look bad in anything. 160lbs? That's nothing. Nekhochan, you looked awesome in your Misty costume, even if you felt self conscious.
There's a big difference between being 10-30 lbs overweight, and being a good 100 or more. There's this line where you have to stop and consider some life changes so you can live longer and happier. Fitting in to your clothes? That's not as big a deal as just being healthy itself. Heh, health fanatic talk from someone who sits on the computer eating chips. Never mind, don't listen to me ^^;;

pssailormoon
08-11-2005, 01:57 PM
After I ended up crying because I thought I looked hidieous in my Eternal Sailor Moon costume when I first made it, I was quite excited when my parents decided to join Weight Watchers 3 1/2 months later. I jumped in and joined with them. I'll admit my main motivation was because I didn't really like saying "Well, Naoko did make a note on a sketch that Usagi was a little chubby." I really wanted to look and feel good in my costumes - and none of the "good" Usagi cosplayer were over weight. I've lost 40 pounds since February, and I've got about 10 more to go for my goal. But I feel so much better about myself both in and out of cosplay, and it rocks. Though it is irritating contantly having to alter Eternal... >.>;; After Reactor I'm just totally remaking it. I have a few pictures in my gallery showing my weight loss from ACEN in May, after Otakon I might do another before and after picture! lol!

Enk
08-11-2005, 02:04 PM
well, myself and a few friends have come to the conclusion, if you wanna cosplay anime girls most accurately: thighs don't touch...

soince we decided that being so skinny your thighs don't touch is gross, we'll continue with our inaccurate cosplays :D

aestate
08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
It's practically impossible to have an accurate cosplay...just look at Sakura from Naruto. She's around 75 pounds. I know a girl whose 100 pounds and she looks practically anorexic. True, she's taller, but these standards are still pretty out there,

Angel Tifa
08-11-2005, 08:17 PM
A few tips:

1 - Slowly omit junk foods. Although you love those pies (Or whatever they were, stophers??), you have to make some sacrifice to make ends meet. It took me about 6 months to finally adjust to a healthy diet. I cut things out SLOWLY. Soda was first, then sugary foods, etc. I now have no more than 75 grams of sugar a day!!

Really? Six months? I remember it took me about 3 weeks to get used to my diet. I guess it depends on the person.

Parasaurolophus
08-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Really? Six months? I remember it took me about 3 weeks to get used to my diet. I guess it depends on the person.

Studies have documented that it typically takes at least 6 months to fully change a habit. And as sloppy eating habits are often ingrained into routines, change can be very slow. This, of course, varies with the individual.

Naruto_Girl
08-11-2005, 09:51 PM
I find that cosplay motivates me more to stay in shape then to actually lose weight... whenever I would rather loaf on the couch I find myself reminding myself that Naruto is fit and I wouldn't look like him if I gained too much... and I don't believe in that super thin look either... I take Kung Fu, I lift weights I like to be strong. I used to look at all the girls on magazines and feel bad because I didn;t look that way... until it dawned on my one that watching TV that most of them are air brushed and THEY don't even look like that....

*shifty eye*

So I guess if anything cosplaying Naruto has inspried me to be strong and like myself better for the way I look.....

Do I sound weird? *laughs*
:untrust:

Beware_UY7
08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Kels-
Exercise most definitly WILL DO SOMETHING! You just can't expect to see results overnight, even though that's what we'd all love.
For the best results, do lots of cardio and even that out with a good amount of weight training. When you're losing weight, you want to make sure you're losing fat, not muscle [and with the proper high cardio workout, you shouldn't gain so much muscle... so, sadly, that can't be used as an excuse for weight GAIN]. Once you get into the habit of exercising, you really grow to like it more and more. It gives you more energy, and really boosts your confidence!
But if you want to lose weight, do it for YOU! Not for the people that try to tell you how you should look!
I totally feel sometimes like I'm too tired, or too depressed to go work out... and at the end of my workout I have more energy, so I'm almost sad that I can't go hang out and do stuff, because I have to go home and bathe!
It also feels real good when you're sore the day after a workout, because then you KNOW that your body it benefiting from all your hard work.
Everything's hard... but your body's a temple, and you have to show it the proper respect by trying to make it the best it can be, not just aesthetically pleasing, but fit and healthy!

black shinigami
08-12-2005, 04:19 AM
Yep, I'm trying to lose weight too, though I'm not trying very hard. Well, it's not just because I think I'll look good, but it's also for my own health. I am so unhealthy it's really not funny. I seriously wouldn't care how others view me, it's how I view myself that counts and I really don't want to look like someone who's been living on donuts for the past decade in short skimpy costumes. (plus, I'm so fat, I can't find any pants that fit me so I have 1 pair of jeans to last me through the whole winter)

cold kittn
08-12-2005, 09:51 AM
cold kittn- Wow! That's great that you were able to get leaner for a cosplay! Good luck on that getting lean!

Domo arigato goziamasu!!! ^_^

I wish everyone here the best of luck with losing weight for cosplay....at least I know I'm not the only one who found motivation for eating right and excercising(i know I spelt it wrong).

PepeluTivursky
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm quite overweight myself. At 5'4", I hazard to guess that I weigh around 200-220 and wear a 20/22 in pants.
That said, I gained most of my weight during puberty and before THAT I wore a 12.
A girl my height should weigh a fair bit less, I imagine. I could see myself getting back to a 14 or a 16... but never any lower. I would look terribly funny any smaller, as I have a rather large build (big bust, big hips).
I've cut soda from my diet before and went back to it during college due to the need for caffiene. Typically when I would go back to walking during the college year, I would go back down to an 18.
I second the eating healthy thing though. And for me, I've learned something I thing that really helps. I actually listen to my body and when I'm full, I quit eating. I read an article once that talked about how people teach their children to disregard their own self-regulators by making them finish all their food and possibly continue eating after they are full.
Now, when I feel full, I quit eating and save the leftovers for another day. I also try to drink water instead of soda with my meals.

... And I still reek at DDR XD

Keshi
11-15-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm 5'7", and I have no idea how much I weigh, I know my measurements, but I have no idea how much I weigh. I try to eat healthily usually, and I eat two meals a day, I eat fruit for lunch and I usually eat something like rice at home. I do yoga, dance, and I love walking, but I still just can't seem to lose weight.. I *did* lose a lot of weight in one week, once, when I ate three meals a day and lost a stone (13 pounds) in one week by eating only salad, pitta bread, and cereal, and fruit. It was amazing for my self-esteem, losing weight so quickly, but it soon went back on and I felt tired and lethargic all the time. (Somehow I still managed to force myself to exercise xD; )

I probably should find out how much I weigh and set myself a target, and start keeping a food diary again. Also I should consult my safe food list. XD I'll try to diet more sensibly, since I generally wind up crashing. ^_^;;;

AmazonMandy
11-15-2005, 07:12 AM
well, myself and a few friends have come to the conclusion, if you wanna cosplay anime girls most accurately: thighs don't touch...

soince we decided that being so skinny your thighs don't touch is gross, we'll continue with our inaccurate cosplays :D
Ouch...um...my thighs don't touch when i stand up straight, i don't think its "gross", some people are just a little slender or built differently. Heck, i still have issues with self esteem and weight, i think its just what you see in media and anime all the time that makes us feel like we have to be even thinner.

I'd say just go with your NORMAL body size...whatever is HEALTHY for you. Don't kill yourself trying to look like a character, and i wish we could all be a little happier how we are.

Tenebrae
11-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Hmmm...
I am 5'5".
In high school, I weighed 105 lbs. and wore anywhere from a size 0 to a size 12! It all depended on where I shopped and how much money I paid for the clothes. ;)
Believe it or not, my thighs still touched. As a result, I never wear corduroy pants. heh
I gained weight in college and then again when I got pregnant. I think I was around 170 to 180 lbs. after I gave birth (I didn't lose much, unfortunately, after the birth).
I have never quite lost that weight and it's been 14 years. I've toned up and lost it and gained more weight.
Last January, I became lactose-intolerant. When I went into the doctor in February, I weighed 203 lbs (and I'd probably already lost a couple pounds from suddenly cutting dairy out of my diet) and wore a size 18W.
Shortly afterwards, I got some bloodwork back and some test results back and found out my liver was fatty. My doctor said I HAD to lose weight or my liver could continue to deteriorate.
I've cut dairy out of my diet almost completely (I take lactase enzyme tablets daily so I can have a little butter and a pinch of cheese every now and then) and I work out twice a day. Nothing like impending doom hanging over your head to motivate you...
Today I weigh 177 lbs. and I'm still losing weight and toning up.
There is a downside.
I have a custom-made corset that is now a bit loose on me.
I'll have to hurry up and get cracking on learning to make my own now and stop putting that off!

EDIT: I had to run off to work, so didn't really get to finish this.
I meant to also say this. I think it is a good idea to try to cosplay things that flatter your figure and not to stress too much about your weight and how you look. You should try to look nice, yes, but it is still quite possible for a plus-sized person to look great in a cosplay. The quality of your workmanship will shine through no matter what size you are.
It's nice to have some sort of motivation to change something you're not happy with about yourself. The motivation should come from INSIDE you to be effective, though, and not from outside or it probably won't stick. If the motivation is that you don't like the way you look in a certain cosplay and think slimming/toning up or bulking out would make it look better, then that's going to be more effective than just listening to somebody tell you, "You look bad."
The advice given about consulting a doctor is a good one. Don't do things to hurt yourself. Oh, and con diets of pocky and ramen are bad, mmmkay? Don't forget to take healthy snacks with you like Cheerios, dried fruit, and raw unsalted nuts! (Your mileage may vary, of course.)

-Tenebrae.

celestial Ceres
11-15-2005, 08:48 AM
I think cosplay is a good reason to start a diet. I should stop eating so much before I'm cosplaying the first time. But I think cosplaying is a good motivation for a diet^^

mokulen22
11-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Wow, this thread isn't dead! HURRAY!

Anyways, I'm still motivationing myself with cosplay dreams of wearing tigther costumes. *thumbs up* I'm only about 10 pounds away from my goal GO ME! It's will be a nice feeling to be able to pick a character regardless of the tightness of the outfit or what body parts it shows. :P

TribalButterfly
11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Loosing weight is a healthy choice a person should make (so long as you're not already thin to begin with) and if cosplay works as motivation for you, then that's a positive thing - so long as you're loosing the weight in a healthy way.

I for one, am not really chubby but i do want to tone up my stomach for next year, since all of my costumes are tightly fit, and a few of my costumes are belly revealing. But i've got it all planned out with daily excorsize and eating right. Not crash dieting or anything major extreeme.
(I'm just being general here. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone :) )

Loosing weight and using cosplay as a motivator is fine! :) Just dont do anything harmful to yourself - espechially not in the name of cosplay! That would just be rediculous.

The Merchant
11-15-2005, 11:13 AM
I'm a big guy myself and am working hard to lose weight not just for cosplay (although it is keeping me focused as a motivational goal) but for just feeling good overall about my health. I don't want to be super slim or anything just somewhat solid. I do light exercise everyday and I don't even touch fast food or snack anymore it's like after a while you just forget about eating those things.

But I do have to agree that if the motivational goal wether it be cosplay or just for wanting to look and feel better is helping you get there by all means go for it =)

Evolution
11-15-2005, 11:42 AM
I'd drop the weight for Cosplay since I need to drop some weight anyway, but since I wrestle, I need to be able to make weight, otherwise I get NO ring time, and I'm not in line for any titles or shots at them...

MissSCeleste
11-15-2005, 02:49 PM
I find that cosplay can be a great motivator for weight loss! :)

I have been doing weight training lately so I can do certain more agressive character roles in the future at both my job, and for fun with some cosplays I wanna do. I've realized the best kind of characters I portray are scary ones, because I'm just very natural at being eerie and wierd.. I don't try to do it.. it just happens.. so I figuire if I get in shape I'll be better at being stealthier, chasing people, being able to do inhuman looking things like busting boards in half or bouncing off walls with a bit more spring in my step.. basically realizing that stronger people are scarier.. people are always afraid of the "bullies" for a reason. It's intimidating to be around someone you know is physically stronger, and I want to improve what I'm naturally good at just to see how far I can go with it.

In the process I've lost quite a bit of weight already. In the last 3 months I've gone down from size 18 to size 12 jean size. Honestly though, I really dislike when people are so uncomfortable with there own bodies that they'll diet just to fit into a dress or in our case, a cosplay better. I think it's great when people wanna get in shape for the sake of being healthier and more entergetic, or to fit the character better, as in "I need to get in shape to be able to do this cool move that this character does..." That makes sense to me.... but the whole doing it to look "prettier" is just.. ugh. It's SO shallow! Grow a spine and stop worrying about what others think about your body and just be happy with who you are. We all come in different shapes and sizes for a reason. Different people like different things, so we shouldn't all strive to look the same. The logic is just SO backwards.

Didn't really have to change my diet to lose weight though. Just excercised alot in whatever ways would help my upper arm strentgh (weights big and small - gym and hand held.. mixed em up) so I can hold a chainsaw with ease next year, whatever kept me moving faster (jogging on the treadmill) and stealthier (squats and crawling practice). I find it MUCH easier to stay on task of excercising regularly when you have a goal of needing/wanting to do something with your physical body, that you want to be able to eventually do with ease. Lets say you wanna cosplay Chun Li.. Wouldn't learning to do her high kicks for real make an excellent way to pose for pictures? Not to mention once you've done it regularly to the point it's easy for you, your cosplay will look more accurate because you'll look just a bit more like her, since she's known for her muscular legs... that sort of thing. Try it if your having trouble staying focused on your cosplay goal. I've found it is a GREAT motivatational tool.

Mew_Pudding
11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Cosplay really inspired me to loose weight. >D< Unfortunately it all came back. T.T;;;; But I still wanna make it go away again! Looking decent and not feeling icky in my costumes is important! >D<!

Parrotfish100
11-15-2005, 03:49 PM
As to the original question.... YES. Cosplay was one of the BIGGEST factors in my weight loss. I dropped 68 pounds in about 7 months now. Used to be 247, now I'm around 179 and dropping every day. I'm finally healthy again! Now I can cosplay and not be embarassed about my weight!:bigtu:

Citrakite
11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
I wanted to lose some weight for a while now. Just i put on my Kaji outfit and went OMFG I'm look fat as hell in this thing. It why I don't post any of my costumes even though I got like two more done now. Miroku's not too bad but I can't do Carlos or Mugen with a gut like mine.

w00tastic
11-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Well, Its not that I need to loose weight at all if anythings its the opposite way! I look like a twig but I'm trying to wear a very nice form fitting costume but I need to gain about 5-10 more pounds for it to look okay >.>

As for now, just maybe taking the time to tone up my stomach its kinda well unproportioned from the rest of my body xD

ilikeyaoi
11-15-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm constantly trying to los weight, the characters I like have increasingly more showing tummies! :o

But, I let it go too far at one point, not a good path to go on. There are some things that I resorted to that should just never be tried. So, keep healthy guys, hmm? It'll do you a ton of good in the long run, trust me.

I went down from nearly 150 to around 130 in a short time because of it, and I've kept the latter weight once I started eating healthy again (I got nowhere NEAR as bad as many people do with this sort of thing, though) but, I'd still like to lose another 20 pounds--healthily.

kabuki_KILLER
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Loosing weight and using cosplay as a motivator is fine! :) Just dont do anything harmful to yourself - espechially not in the name of cosplay! That would just be rediculous.
I shaved off my eyebrows in the name of cosplay!!!!! XD XD XD

Anyway, I might need to loose 10-15 lbs before AX next year for Myaku Die cosplay. The guy is thin... >_< Hehehe. That along with some 5-6 inch platforms. XD And as of now, I'm a good 5-10 lbs thinner than my latest pictures in my gallery (from PMX). Darn...I feel fat compared to Die. Let's not even MENTION Shinya. >_<

*Shiva*
11-15-2005, 08:51 PM
As a dancer I'm always under pressure to control my wieght, and between cosplay and seeing myself in a leotard in front of mirrors 5 hours a day, I have a lot of motivation! I'd love to drop about 5 - 10 pounds, especially since its easy for me to gain wieght over the winter.

To lose wieght, diets high in protein work well - I load up on fruits, salads, and fish for meals and peanut butter for dessert. Drinking lots of tea and water, and not eating after 6 pm - when my rehersals begin - also makes loads of difference.

Also, Pilates and yoga classes do wonders for toning muscles without adding bulk. ^^

Inuyasha_Kun
11-15-2005, 09:43 PM
I to have a big problem ( pun not inteded) about my body weight... I have been like this my whole life... and I am going to try and loose those pounds.... one step at a time.... like with dancing to my favorite music.. or even getting out and walking a block or two down the road, or to the park or something.. you know....

Solid_psyco
11-16-2005, 09:53 AM
Well I'm talking for two people here. Myself and my boyfriend, we're both satisfied with our weights (I'm 22 5'3" and weigh 116) my b/f is (20 5'9" and weighs 174) the only thing we really both want to do is tone up (a lot) we both met in a backpacking club in highschool and were both very toned (lots of muscle) but now we haven't backpacked in two years and have gradually lost the muscle (we're pretty flubby espically in the tummy) he he (it's kinda cute)
Yes, I believe cosplay has been a pretty good motivator for us both to stay in shape. Espically since he cosplays as Cloud (who has a barbie doll figure) Clouds body is almost unreasonable for most normal males. But who cares (if the cosplay is really detailed and you feel good, go for it)
We both eat quite a bit (his family is Italian) and don't want to eat differently, so we both decided to join a gym and work out three times a week. (Better than coming home from work and playing video games all night.)

YoshidaEri
11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
I cosplay those tiny Jpop stars, so of course it's motivation! I haven't worn any tummy-revealing costumes yet though. I still need to lose about 10lbs though to look decent enough for even the slightly revealing ones (I'm 5'5, 140lbs)

RebelRaider
11-16-2005, 03:10 PM
to lose weight by cosplay is good as long as it does not do damage to you, both suits that I have used are of military style but I indeed do not have the body of marine:lost: soon i start a program of exercise that includes martial arts and one better feeding nonsingle for my health but to fit better in my suits:dance: :drink: :sulk: if cosplay impels to you to improve your health because not to do it? like it improves your personal image

xx_CapricorN_xx
11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, I just joined our local YMCA to start working out there to get into better shape and make me feel a lot better about myself. I want to get back into shape and burn some energy on my legs and stomach I really do not want. I joined awhile before actually knowing about cosplay, but now it compels me that I do in fact, want to get in shape. I want to at least get to 110-115 so I have at least 10 lbs I can stand to lose. Also, I'm going to cosplay as Thief Rikku next year, and with what she wears, I just want to look good in it and feel good in it.

the aj
11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
I was reading through everyone's posts, and noticed that a number of people seem to think that eating less=losing weight. I have a few friends who have lost a good amount of weight, and taking into consideration their experience, I thought I'd offer a tip.

dieting by itself for some people may have little effect. Put verry simply, your body needs to *burn* more calories in a day than it takes in for you to lose weight. Exercise proved to be a hard act to follow for my friends, but what DID work was just being more active. An example: Instead of driving across the street to get to another store, walk instead. Anything you do that requires *energy* is calorie-burning. Fat is, in a nutshell, energy that your body has stored.

So if you *combine* eating better (not necessarily less) with more activity, you've got yourself a good start. Please note, I'm not a freakin dietician, and there's more to it scientifically, but this approach is what has worked for my friends! Hope it can help you. My apolgies if it's a bit long-winded.

Azira
11-16-2005, 05:30 PM
I try to loose weight, i really do. Because all day im sourrounded by people that are thin and skinny and such. But my body type wont really alow me to loose weight that easily. Becasue when i do loose wiehgt i have to watch what i eat becasue if i eat junk food or something its go back and then i have to loose the weight again. Its become much easier too loose wieght afte ri stopped eating junk food/fried food, soda, and things with high calories/carbs. but im kinda worried that im not eating enough and that contributes to not being able to keepo it off becasue primarely....that what a lot of people eat. Like i only eat like and apple or and orange at school for lunch Becasue i dont like eating French fried and hamburgers and pizza anymore. But i mainly diet becasue when i make my cospklay outfits and fit then to my size. and i truly do not want to have to make the size bigger.

Surreal Pin-up
11-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Well, I'm one of those obsessive calorie counters (I read the back of gum, there are 5 calories in two peices of sugarless tango) and I don't really excerxice (must maintain slim girlie boy physique) but yeah cosplay is an excellent motivator, though I've struggled with an eating disorder (ana for like four years) for a long time

Tenebrae
11-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I have joint problems so it's actually really hard for me to exercise. I walk with a cane and sometimes can't bend my knees without terrible knife-like pain shooting through them. Right now I'm having an endometriosis flair-up so I am having severe abdominal pain as well.
I push through it all and make sure I do my workout twice a day. It is a commitment to my body to make it stronger and healthier. Less weight also means less strain on my joints.
I used to watch this exercise show for "old ladies" called Sit and Be Fit. I learned some moves from that for the bad days so I still complete a workout even if I'm incapacitated and can't stand at all.

Diet...it's what you eat. It's not just what you eat sometimes. I have made choices in the foods I eat like raw unsalted almonds for breakfast instead of a bunch of fried foods and water to drink instead of soda or even a bunch of high-calorie juices. I used to put half-and-half in my coffee which is high in fat and calories. Now since I'm lactose-intolerant I have found an alternative and put chocolate soymilk in it instead - much lower in fat and I get yummy mocha coffee. ;)
I've made sure that every diet and exercise choice I make is something I feel comfortable with doing for the rest of my life. If I can't keep it up, then it's not worth doing.
*checks the scales*
Still losing weight.
*throws away another Lane Bryant clothing catalog and picks up the Newport News fashion catalog instead*
That feels good. :)
For those of you who aren't aware, Lane Bryant is a clothing chain in the US that caters to plus-sized women. Newport News, on the other hand, features skinny blondes on every page with windswept hair...but they have some really cool velvet coats!

-Tenebrae.

Choc_puddin
11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
Eat less junk-exercise more- thats the right way to go.

I used to be quite large- in photos of myself back then i cant recognise myself- and then I started cosplaying. It really is a great motivator- because I feel good about myself, and that shows.

SailorKagome
11-16-2005, 10:36 PM
In response to the original questions asked:

Cosplay has nothing to do with my staying in shape or losing weight. The thought's actually never occurred to me- but that's probably because I've just begun to cosplay. In any case, I stay in shape for field hockey. Not being in shape = not being able to play in college. And that would suck :_:

However, I do have some useful (maybe) tips for getting and staying in shape (at least, this is what I do).

1. As stated previously, cut the junk. I don't drink soda or coffee (bad for your teeth and body, says the doc.), I usually don't eat candies, chips, fast foods, etc, but once in a while I'll have pocky or something :D But fast food is ebil ._. I also rarely eat fried foods. The basic rule is that if you feel like crap after eating something, then it probably isn't good for you.

2. Don't eat past 6 or 7:00 at night, unless you have an irregular sleeping schedule. In any case, don't eat past when you'll be unable to work it off.

3. Work out every day. I don't mean you have to go to the gym (though I do if I can manage it), but just do a couple of excercises a couple of times a day. Running daily is wonderful. Playing a sports is also good. Just try to be active. Even running in place for 10-15 minutes at a time, or while watching TV. If anyone would like, I can give you a great list of excercises that you can do for just a couple minutes each day that help you get and stay in shape. PM me if you'd like them.

4. Always remember! Muscule weighs more than fat!

6. Sleep, apparentally, is a factor. Your body needs sleep to rest and restore itself, to grow, etc.

7. Have a goal. If you know where you want to be, and what you want to look like, and as long as it's healthy, then you've got something to work for and to motivate you.

8. Lastly, just be happy. As long as you feel good about yourself, everything is good. Unless, of course, feeling good means weighing 10 pounds.

Just my two cents :D Hope it helps.

livengood
11-17-2005, 12:38 AM
Well. For me cosplay is part of it. But also because I don't like my stomach sticking out further then my boobs. XD

So pretty much, for me excercising regularly is normal. I ride my bicycle to work every day. That's roughly five miles every day. Since I've been keeping tabs the last couple of months. I've noticed I've dropped from 170 something into the 150's. I'm currently shooting for 130 for AX06. Also, when it come to any type of diet, consulting a doctor first. What might work for one person won't work for another and you could be setting yourself up for disaster. Sure I could be one of those people who cut out everything but that would result in me having a system break down. I've had a nasty incident at AX05 last year where I had hardly eaten anything that day. That night I was shaking horribly. Your body still needs food and definitly two to three good meals(especially Breakfast and Dinner). It needs something to use as an energy source. Taking out too much from your diet is like puting less gas into your car. The engine is going to die out a lot sooner.

sakura yuna
11-18-2005, 01:59 AM
Let's see. I am very short. I am 5'0" even and weigh like 140lbs. or something like that. a little heavy. I stopped drinking sodas mostly, unless it's a go out to eat event, at a fancy resturant, which isn't often, and it's a treat. But I mostly drink tea and juices. I do not eat fast food. it's bad for you. I end up making a low-cal version of it at home. or as I call it "bootleg mcdonalds" still the same great yummy satisfying taste, but less calories and other junk to block the arteries. I need to get down to 105-110lbs. that will take a while, but I'm on the right track, now if I can get some excersise in that would be great. however, my fiance is doing really great in terms of weight loss. he used to weigh 265lbs. then went down to 215, and now he's 195lbs. so he's doing really good, he wants to be 178-180lbs. which I think is fine for his height. he's 5'10" so we are going in the right direction. though I will never do what I did ever again in previous years. go to expo, and eat nothing but granola bars for four days straight. I lost like 20 pounds that way. I didn't really drink anything except capri suns, baaad!!! I kept the weight off for like 4 months, and then gained all my weight back when I started drinking sodas again. I've stopped and lost like 5 pounds around my face.

Keshi
11-18-2005, 02:19 AM
Aaaaaaaaaack. I don't eat junk food very often at all, and I usually drink apple juice (or coffee :S), and I exercise, but I still can't lose any weight! Well, I can't SEE that I lost any... and I haven't been weighed for ages. :S

AmazonMandy
11-18-2005, 06:46 AM
Aaaaaaaaaack. I don't eat junk food very often at all, and I usually drink apple juice (or coffee :S), and I exercise, but I still can't lose any weight! Well, I can't SEE that I lost any... and I haven't been weighed for ages. :S
Well, apple juice is LOADED with sugar. Some brands have more than pop. So do yourself a favor, and switch to Light...tastes just as good, all the vitamins, 1/3 the sugar! ^_^

Berenice
11-18-2005, 07:21 AM
XP

Which reminds me...

I'm getting fatter again @_@

YoshidaEri
11-18-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm getting fatter too. 2 months ago I was 128lbs, now I'm 143lbs :(

RebelRaider
11-18-2005, 04:39 PM
will exist some delicious food that does not get fat?:waaaah: i love pizza i love pepsi and i love arepas:waaaah: why everything goes fat?? well is for my own health and a good shape and a long life is more important:rolleyes:

Tenebrae
11-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Moderation, RebelRaider.
Eat less of the things you like that are high in calories and fat.
I eat plenty of delicious foods that are lower in fat and calories. Every now and then I treat myself with something like deep fried fish and chips, but most of the time my fish is baked in teriyaki and garlic. :) Still delicious, but low in fat.
If you want to eat the higher calorie foods all the time, you'll have to exercise more to work it off...it's your choice if you want to do that, you know? Decide what you can live with or you won't stick with it.

-Tenebrae.

inu-chan00
11-19-2005, 12:46 PM
At the age of 11, I weighed almost 170 pounds at 5'2.
My doctors for years had been trying to modivate me loseing weight for my own benefit and health, even with the horrid stories they were telling me if I didnt do somehting about it, I always found myself in a Mccdonalds line >.<
It wasnt till I heard of AX in 2002 about cosplay, I wanted to be apart of that fandom, when It occured to me "Noone in anime is chubby like me."
After those owrds I promised myslef into a better way of eating and health.

Thusly I joined a sport...swimming (Proll the BEST sport for loseing weight, since you use all your body,muscles,etc.)
and whatched what I ate. In 2003 I debuted my cospaly at 140 pounds.
and Today Im 5'7 at a whopping 128 <3<3
Now I LOVEEE eating healthey and working out!

Tenebrae
11-19-2005, 12:58 PM
What an inspiring story, inu-chan00!
And especially funny because of your title ("I want to EAT the world"). I think the world might be a little bit fattening. ;)

-Tenebrae.

*VoD*Shikamaru
11-19-2005, 01:12 PM
I mainly just skateboard, and play DDR. Im like.. 5'6" and I weigh like....124 or so. So playing DDR keeps me skinny. ^__^ I dont really load up on cand, or chips all the time, but at parties and when I have spare change or something, I always get junk food but, I dont really see my weight rise. In fact, when I was like....10 or so, I weighed like...80..something, and the doctor asked me to actually eat MORE. Hmmm..It could be my metabolism. =/ I really dont know why im so small, when I usually eat a lot of junk food.

YoshidaEri
11-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I just started taking the ADD drug Adderall and it decreases my appetite a lot.
And I've started scheduling more JPop dance performances so I practice a lot.
I'm hoping to be down to 128lbs by at least February from the 141lbs I am right now.

RebelRaider
11-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Moderation, RebelRaider.
Eat less of the things you like that are high in calories and fat.
I eat plenty of delicious foods that are lower in fat and calories. Every now and then I treat myself with something like deep fried fish and chips, but most of the time my fish is baked in teriyaki and garlic. :) Still delicious, but low in fat.
If you want to eat the higher calorie foods all the time, you'll have to exercise more to work it off...it's your choice if you want to do that, you know? Decide what you can live with or you won't stick with it.

-Tenebrae.

i know i know thank you less fat, more green :waaaah: jajajajaaj:sulk:

kimuhalu
11-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Yes, for me cosplay is apart of my motivation to lose weight and stay healthy. I have cut all soda out except mt.dew, and drink mainly water and milk, ever since a year ago. I try to play DDR alot, as well as walk the treadmill. While keeping my current weight secret, I say I would like to set my first goal to get to 165 lbs. Either that, or to fit nicely into a Napoleon Dynamite shirt I have, whichever comes first. =D Then Ill set a 2nd goal and work my way down. Having done all this by May, would be really nice, so I can go to ACen as Urahara, and not have to worry how others view me.

badboi
11-19-2005, 08:41 PM
personaly i'd like to gain weight to play some different cosplays... i'm type casted into doing cosplays of characters that are thin like characters from naruto ect...

Rika Nakamura
11-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I just started taking the ADD drug Adderall and it decreases my appetite a lot.
And I've started scheduling more JPop dance performances so I practice a lot.
I'm hoping to be down to 128lbs by at least February from the 141lbs I am right now.
I'm on the same drug. My doctor didn't tell me about the appetite thing so I thought I was anorexic. But I needed to loose the weight anyways. I mean, being fifteen, 6' and 342 pounds isn't the best thing, but with the medicine and excersize, I'm loosing about 30 pounds a month, so I should be in the 2oo's by A-kon. -Crosses fingers- Here's hoping. XD

havokgrl
11-22-2005, 09:39 PM
im planing to do Fuu from Samurai Champloo and Izayoi (Inuyasha's mother) my boyfriend is doing Inu no Taisho (Inuyashas father) So im trying to loose weight, I weigh about 196 i dont look it though, but I exercise for bout 30 mins. a night, hopefuly by June when I go to Metrocon I'll be about 150 hopefully!

ReiRei21
11-22-2005, 09:52 PM
You know I'm trying to loose weight but it's hard >.< When I'm at work I get really hungry because I work during my supper and I get REALLY hungry! And where I work, there are alot of tempting, fatty things to get to make my hunger go away...is there something else I can take to work? Like something to stuff in my pocket and nibble while I'm working? *I work at a retail store*

AmazonMandy
11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Pretzels are a good start..filling and fat free! Dried fruits are good (watch for the ones they dump 7 pounds of sugar on I HATE THAT!)...Drink lots of water, flavored rice cakes (i SWEAR i love the white cheddar ones)...just light snacks would be great!

TIFATHEGODDESS
11-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Weight is the main reason I don't cosplay yet. I am going on a diet so I can get started.

sundogkm
11-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Ok I didn't read all the messages in this thread but I have a few things to say.
First, I saw that someone said that some body types like thier own couldn't ever be really skinny. Well, I don't think that's necessarily true, cause when I was in high school I had a friend who was overweight and we all thought "Oh, she's just big-boned." But after she went to college she went on a diet and I dunno how much weight she lost, but she's way skinnier than I ever thought she could be. So I think just about anyone can do it.
Also, I want to say.... Weight Watchers is THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even actually join, I just used my friend's booklet from when she was in it, and I lost like 30 pounds. I gained it back later, but that was because I went off the diet. I only went on it for my wedding, but I looked darn good at my wedding. ^_^ But I can't seem to get motivated to start dieting again... -_-'

Tenebrae
11-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Raw unsalted almonds are a great snack, too. I get them bulk and shove them into my pocket for a snack. Lots of protein and vitamins and stuff that your body needs. Last time I went to Otakon, I took a bunch of those and some other raw unsalted nuts with some raisins, dried cranberries, and Cheerios cereal mixed in.
Almonds have a lot of protein, vitamins, and even calcium (which I need since I can't do dairy anymore). Word has it they can help you lose weight, too, but I'm not sure quite what the dealie-o is with that. I know I've been losing weight since I have been eating them, but I've been doing a lot of other things, too.

-Tenebrae.

Wyldcat
11-27-2005, 07:47 PM
I found myself having to portray the more "plump" characters in anime or faking the "beefy" look with clever clothing. Cosplay has been a great inspiration for loosing the pounds. Really nothing more than working out while watching the anime that has inspired my idea for a cosplay costume. Being half Blackfoot and half Scottish has not been "kind" on my particular build but at least I can pull off the "short" buff anime version of the characters I like. I guess you could call me the SD version of the characters (laughs out loud) :) Kudos and best wishes to any who are willing to try.

Miss Tea
11-27-2005, 09:06 PM
well yes, cosplay has been a motivation for some weight loss. i would hate not to be able to fit into a past costume that ive made. the idea of cosplay just gets me motivated. for an upcoming costume, i show a whole lotta leg and well, i wanna look good. in this sense, cosplay has motivated me to run more, tone up, and drop a few pounds.

Tsukino Usagi
11-28-2005, 07:21 PM
hello! how are you everybody? ^_^
i really can relate to this thread. coz as of now im in the process of loosing weight just to fit in a sailor costume. it will be my first time to cosplay, im kinda nervous. anyway after reading all of your posts... it inspired me more!!! thanks a lot!!

Valgaav_Xellos
11-29-2005, 06:22 PM
Okay... so I have just a tiny issue here...

I don't think I'm fat or anything, but I don't think it'd hurt to lose a few pounds, and mainly tone up my body for a costume I'm doing for Katsucon. That gives me about 3 months...

Are there any specific exercises or eating habits I should adopt to lose anywhere from 5-10 lbs. before February?

I already know the obvious such as:
~switching from Coke to LOTS of water
~DDR at least 30 min. a day
~Sit-ups

does anyone else have any suggestions?
OH and also advice on how to stick to the program? I am horrible at sticking with a diet/exercise plan @_@;;;

Thanks!

hentaigirl82
11-29-2005, 06:40 PM
Well dont feel bad i have to loose weight in time for katsucon due to my elena outfit lots of tummy showing. What i normally do is not chow down on junkfood like my debbie snacks >_< how im goin to miss those. I drink water and do crunches everynight. Two times out the week pull out the ddr or pump it up game for 45 min.

SkippingSith
11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
I need to lose about twenty pounds or so in time for Katsucon for my Garnet gown. I've dropped all soda from my diet (except for a half a diet root beer today ><, which I threw away cause it tasted weird), I drink at least four bottles of water a day, I've tried to eliminate as much fried food as possible, choosing fruits or veggies over my daily intake of fries, and have a glass of ice water with every meal, and take the stairs whenever possible. I also live all the way across campus from all of my classes, which is kinda useful. So far, I've lost about 4 pounds! (...my pants don't fit...) Good luck to everyone in their weight loss endeavors!

DarknessSummit
11-29-2005, 08:42 PM
well these days i guess i can lose more weight.....but sometimes one can adjust their costumes to their size and weight by making the proportions different...sigh..for one thing i have a biiiig head^-^;;;;;;; i dont know i think i just do...i dont think i can do anything with that except how nobody notices

AmazonMandy
11-29-2005, 09:17 PM
~Sit-ups

I can tell you to stick with stomach crunches, instead of sit-ups...they are hard on a girls back!

SailorKagome
11-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Okay... so I have just a tiny issue here...

I don't think I'm fat or anything, but I don't think it'd hurt to lose a few pounds, and mainly tone up my body for a costume I'm doing for Katsucon. That gives me about 3 months...

Are there any specific exercises or eating habits I should adopt to lose anywhere from 5-10 lbs. before February?

I already know the obvious such as:
~switching from Coke to LOTS of water
~DDR at least 30 min. a day
~Sit-ups

OH and also advice on how to stick to the program? I am horrible at sticking with a diet/exercise plan @_@;;;

Thanks!

I would reccomend running a lot. If you can't go out to run, you can always run in place inside, and even while you're watching TV! Also, try doing some crunches and knee lunges (after doing knee lunges, you probably won't be able to walk very well, and the next day you probably won't be able to walk, but that means it's working!)

Another tip is DO NOT eat after 7 pm. Well, depending on when you go to bed and and when you workout. I generally never eat after 7, because I probably won't be able to work it off.

I *have* to stay in shape, or else I won't be able to play, so I know some really good ways of getting in shape and dropping 5-10 pounds. If you're interested, I can PM them to you. ^_^

mokulen22
11-30-2005, 09:23 AM
Actually, eating after a certain time is a myth. As long as you don't go over the number of cal. you burn in a day, you'll be fine. I think 2000 cal. a day is the norm. (could be more/less depending on weight/height/age) so as long as you eat that (at any times of the day) you'll keep at your current weight.

Also, as I recall, it's better to workout then eat afterwards-- your body burns more calories because your body remains in workout mode for some time after exercise.

SailorKagome
11-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Actually, eating after a certain time is a myth. As long as you don't go over the number of cal. you burn in a day, you'll be fine. I think 2000 cal. a day is the norm. (could be more/less depending on weight/height/age) so as long as you eat that (at any times of the day) you'll keep at your current weight.

Also, as I recall, it's better to workout then eat -- your body burns more calories because your body remains in workout mode for some time after exercise.

lol, then it must just be me who will gain weight if I at late at night. But I've been told that by several people who are very big on fitness.

And, yes, working out is better than eating. More fun, too.

mokulen22
11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
lol, then it must just be me who will gain weight if I at late at night. But I've been told that by several people who are very big on fitness.

And, yes, working out is better than eating. More fun, too.

oopse, I should have been clearier (I fixed it)

SailorKagome
11-30-2005, 01:15 PM
oopse, I should have been clearier (I fixed it)

lol, well, still very true. The only time I ever eat donuts are after field hockey games, because I know it'll be fine.

But, actually, I thought you were referring to working out as opposed to simply eating really healthy.

mokulen22
11-30-2005, 01:23 PM
lol, well, still very true. The only time I ever eat donuts are after field hockey games, because I know it'll be fine.

But, actually, I thought you were referring to working out as opposed to simply eating really healthy.

No, eating right is more important than working out for over all health. A calorie is a calorie, right, but after time all the fat/sugar will affect the body.

alucarD_The_Sta
11-30-2005, 01:37 PM
im not the healthiest of eaters ^_^;; (Chinese food, and candy are in my top 5 favorites lol) so its a little hard for me to stay in shape >_<, but my sleeping schedule has made it to where i usually only eat twice a day (lunch and supper) so that helps some, plus 99% of what i drink is kool-aid (which has some sugar, but its better than my used to be 2+ liters of coke a day lol), and ive got to where i try to exercise/play DDR/ practice Ju-Jitsu atleast 10 minutes a day, cause some exercise is better than none

Rynn
11-30-2005, 02:55 PM

Thanks!

Drag your friends into it : ) Chances are, they aren't 100% with their body and wouldn't mind losing/gaining a little weight. My two friends and I did this recently, we each had individual rules like "Ren can't eat cookies." Even though it sounds like nothing, it was really tough not to eat cookies and knowing that my friends were going through the same struggle helped me to push through. Try it!

Just think positive and reward yourself once a week. Or if you can't wait, grab yourself some frozen yogurt!

Good luck! : )

Hanyaan
11-30-2005, 03:43 PM
My favorite trick to help me maintain a healthy weight is never to let myself get totally starving or totally stuffed. When I let myself get insanely hungry, I invariably do something stupid like eat an entire jar of marshmallow creme. When I'm not particularly hungry, I'm much more prone to pick an apple or something healthy for a snack. Getting totally stuffed normally means I've overeaten, and on top of that it makes me lethargic and less likely to actually exercise.

kimuhalu
11-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Just something quick. I heard, that when your stomach "growls", it doesnt mean that you are then hungry. It means that it's digesting, or trying to. So, if your stomach growls, dont go get something to eat right after you hear it. Ignore it for the time being. *it plots to keep you eating* :p

Blue Eyed Matador
11-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I'll tell you three words: South Beach Diet.

Those are the only words you will ever need. Look at me earlier cosplay pictures, and then my later ones. I went from a size 10 to a size 0 in a matter of three weeks. I don't drink anything but water (or lattes) and I don't eat bread, pasta, rice or mass amounts of sugar.

FallenInnocence
11-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Nya... I am currently working on losing a bit of weight for my Lacus cosplay...*doesn't want people criticing her for being an overweight Lacus* >.< But yes, since most anime characters are fit and slim it kind of motivates cosplayers to be like them more and to do so it would even mean that you may have to lose a bit of weights just for the sake of being like them. But other than cosplaying reasons you should feel confortable in the skin you are in. ^-^

Valgaav_Xellos
11-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Wow! Thank you all for the suggestions! I appreciate it so much! ^_^

I've already recruited my mom to join me in my 30 min DDR workouts a day and tomorrow we're going to the grocery store to stock up on water and lots of veggies (because I'm not much a fruit person). I'll keep watch not to eat too late at night because I recall hearing it's harder to burn off calories that way, too. And lastly, I'll change my sit-up routine to crunches (wouldn't wanna hurt my back now, ne? ^^; )

One last thing though...

Is it better to eat one big meal a day (supper)? Or 3 smaller meals (b-fast lunch and dinner?)

SasamiChan
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Invariably several smaller meals are healthier. Just so you know, though, it doesn't matter how late you eat, it matters what you eat. You're still getting the same amount of calories either way o_0. I mean, Europeans at at 10pm and their way skinnier!^^; So yeah, unless it's because you actually plan to exercise later at night or something, eating time changes absolutely nothing.

kabuki_KILLER
11-30-2005, 05:38 PM
Europeans eat late because most of them sleep even later (most northern Europeans eat less than Americans do, though). Also, they on average do more walking than americans do. The time that you eat does have something to do with gaining fat, but only when you eat a lot. In short, both factors matter, just varies among people. You may gain weight when you eat a meal right before bed because when you're at rest, the processed nutrients and energy are absorbed at a higher level since they do not need to be used right away for active thinking, activity, etc. Therefore your body stores up that extra unused energy. If you don't eat much before sleeping, then your body will still store some, but it'll have less to store, so no noticeable weight gain over time.

So if you're going to eat a lot, make sure it's nutritious and not right before you sleep. That way, you have some time in which you're still awake and spending energy. If you must eat before bed, make it light.

Weight gain is due to several factors (some that can/can't be helped):
~eating habits and family influence
~genes and number of fat cells
~excercise
~hormones
Just to name a few. In my opinion, weight isn't too big of an issue when it comes to being a cosplayer. Some things are just not that easy to change for certain people. You don't have to be perfect physically to be a great cosplayer. Just do what you can, and all is good.

EDIT: Sasami-chan, i just noticed that we both look really professional in our avatars, and talking about diet and weight. LOL. I know....I'm too easily amused. XD

Tenebrae
11-30-2005, 05:56 PM
It's the hand to the glasses thing.
See, without the hand up there, you'd just look psychotic, like this:
http://www.niceboots.com/~tenebrae/pics/Teneglasses/Teneglasses09.jpg
*giggle*

Eat healthier foods, eat less, exercise more...
And talk to a doctor and/or nutritionist to make sure you still get all the vitamins and nutrients you need.
I've got a pretty restricted diet, so it'd be almost impossible for me to do an Atkins diet properly without spending a fortune on food. Too bad I can't just go on a sushi and miso soup diet. ;)

-Tenebrae.

kabuki_KILLER
11-30-2005, 07:26 PM
I don't look that crazy, do I? XD Just kidding. You know I :heart: you. It might have something to do with your smile that gives off the psychotic-ness. :razz:

Different weight loss ideas work better for different individuals for many reasons. If you really want to lose weight, try several (or combos of) less drastic techiniques. If that doesn't work, talk to a dietician or of the like. If nothing works too well for you or you just can't bring yourself to continue your method, don't kill yourself over it or do anything too damaging (like binge dieting).

Bah...currently experiencing comp problems after my friend accidentally spilled isopropyl alcohol on my laptop keyboard. -_-

krimson
11-30-2005, 08:20 PM
As of now, I'm trying by best to get into shape for my Yuna costume. I realized that that girl got muscle. I guess right now that's one of my motivations for exercising, maybe considering joining the track team again. XD My family got a treadmil recently, I'm really excited. I realized cold+me= not good.
I'm also trying my best to refrain from the tasty ice cream that is sitting in my refrigerator.

Eriana-Chan
12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
im trying to lose weight, it's not working, but im doing my best but emotional problem are getting me down T_T

I know what you mean but work through it! You can do it! I know you can! ^ ~

Anovas
12-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't know if anyone's said this, but my dad taught me a nifty trick. If you stop eating after 6 (or even 8), you can easily lose 5-20 pounds in about 1 month.

Or just simply eating certain amounts per day. If you don't eat too much one day and then eat a lot the next day, it can actually make gaining weight a lot faster. But making sure that you eat equal amounts of food throughout the day, whether healthy or not, can make a big impact on your figure.

Anddd doing simple exercises helps a lot, too. Doing 15 sit-ups every night before bed (not killer at all, right?) and jogging (whether on a treadmill, in place, around the black, whatever) for 5-15 minutes can make a big change too. Also, not to mention, if you eat a lot of junk food, doing brisk exercises afterwards can help keep the weight it should supply after you eat it.

Just little things. Don't go over board with some impossible exercise/crash dieting technique. Those either aren't successful, are extremely perilous to your health, or something else negative.

sundogkm
12-02-2005, 06:38 PM
The eating late at night thing: It's not so much the time of day that matters, but how long it is before you go to bed. The way I heard it is something like this. If you go to sleep too soon after eating, your body thinks it won't need the calories for a while, so it stores them by turning them into fat. Or something like that... I'm not entirely sure. XD

I don't know anything about the South Beach Diet, but if it's like one of those diets that won't let you eat carbs (like Atkins), then it's unhealthy. The best thing to do is basically follow the whole "Food Pyramid" theory, because it's calculated to give you all the nutrients, vitamins, etc. that your body needs. That's how I know the Weight Watchers diet is healthy, because they encourage eating a balanced diet.

Tenebrae
12-03-2005, 11:49 AM
I just saw my doctor yesterday for a 6 (or so) month follow-up. More like 9 months, but whatever.
He was amazed that I dropped so much weight and basically told me that whatever I was doing was working and to keep doing it!
He gave me a couple specific suggestions like some leg exercises to do to strengthen my weak knees and to do more aerobic exercises like taking a walk.
Now, here's the funny thing...
He told me to lose more weight and THEN worry about adding more exercises. That goes against what I've been taught and I told him so. I've been taught that diet alone is not good to lose weight and you should exercise and follow a balanced diet and all that. He told me that I will find it easier to exercise more when I have lost some pounds. Now, it could be that my case is special because I have very bad joints and am partially disabled due to it. A lot of exercises are hard on my joints and could do more harm than good if I went all-out before dropping some more pounds.
I guess the real point here is that you DO need to talk to your doctor and possibly a nutritionist or physical therapist depending on your situation before following a weight loss plan.
Oh yeah.
My blood pressure has dropped as well. It was around 120 or 130 / 80 (problems with the readings - they had to do it twice last time). Yesterday it was down to 114/70. :)

-Tenebrae.

Rikal
12-03-2005, 12:23 PM
I'll be a third party opinion here.

Remember people there is thin and then there is healthy. It's great to set goals to better yourself but remember to take care of yourself and that the best and really only way to loose weight is eating relatively intelligently and exercising. Please no purging and fasting it doesn't work and you just hurt yourself. Doctors are good people to talk to about what would be the best plan for your individual body. No two bodies are the same.

Please people don't jump on me for implying that being lean is better than being overweight... it is, it's not just me being insulting. It is healthier.

I am the first to admit that fit cosplayers get more attention from me and others, it's just a fact of life. If cosplay helps you to motivate yourself to becoming more healthy then i say good for you. As many have stated here it really is very rewarding to lose weight and slim down. Not only because of the attnetion you get but also for yourself.

^_^. Stay safe and healthy.

engrish
12-03-2005, 04:47 PM
... You may gain weight when you eat a meal right before bed because...Hold it right there. It's time to bust this myth!

Eating at night myth (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3263249.stm)

Scientists at Oregon Health & Science University in the United States carried out tests on 47 female monkeys.

They found no link between when the animals ate and whether or not they put on weight.

Snake Pliskin
12-03-2005, 06:37 PM
I personally, am trying to put a little weight on, instead of off. I recently just lost a little over 20 lbs this last month and a half from exercise. but now, I need to add it back on, but in muscle this time. If I have the deffinition by anime expo rolls around, I would like to cosplay snake from metal gear solid 3 in the costume with out the top of the jumpsuit, but we'll see. :) I just think that you need to try and get yourself into shape for your self, and not just for cosplay. as long as your body is healthy, and your having a good time cosplaying, weight isn't really an issue anyway, right?

Master Maurice
12-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Being fit and in good shape doesn't always mean being leaner, or thinner. I read an article once on an aerobic instructor who was what I would call chubby. She was still in really good shape and excellent health, that just is her body, everybody is different.

Now, for me, I started going to the gym cause I couldn't fit into my fat day pants anymore (you know, the ones you wear when you're all bloated and feel gross...). That did wonders for me, it became my ME time, I would load all my favorite pump-me-up music onto my MP3 player and go to the gym and just work out. I lost 30lbs like that. Now I'm taking kickboxing, it's awesome, you get an aerobic workout, plus self defense and you're always progressing to the next belt level, so things never get boring! I've lost another 20lbs in the six months I've been taking kickboxing, though I do think the not having junk food in the house and not eating out as much helps as well.

For me, losing weight has been a bonus to doing cosplay, cause now I feel comfortable doing almost any character I want and look forward to doing a kick-ass Lust for my next convention!

Marnie-chan
12-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Staying in shape is real important to me, which must I say is very hard during the winter season when your stuck inside with all of your foodly desires, but I just try to imagine my next outfit with that little bit of extra...and I'm motivated to do situps or something.
I dont think everyone should take it super serius, because its not how you look in your costume it how you feel!:p

JEPROX
12-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Oh wow...I'm all about this thread...Kudos to all that are tryin their best to get into "shape" I know its a hard road to follow, but eventually the rewards are all the more sweeter in the end when you finally reach you goal. For me when I cosplayed the first time... I thought just as long you make the costume dope. But after wards I found it a bit odd...I found myself lookin at others cosplay and saw myself giving inner thoughts as to why he/she would cosplay that character in that body frame...then I realized I was one 2 talk...when I had a 5'5" 200lb body frame...cosplayin Spike from Bebop...where obviously he was skinny. Soo with that, this past year after months of excerise and eating "right"...I was able to rock my Mugen cosplay...without a hitch...I fit the character, soo good...it was almost scary. So next year I cant wait to think of other cosplays I can do with my new body. "Cosplayin is all about fun...but why not be the charcter in good taste?" Mugen-Out!

DaBossKnight
12-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Many of you people are so very lucky. I gave up on the idea of loseing weight so I could cosplay. Instead I found a loop-hole. I forced my little sister & her friends to cosplay for me and now they love cosplay almost as much as I do.

However it often feels very lonesome on the other side of the camera. All of them are haveing so much fun whenever we do our private photoshoots. But I'm soo afraid of cosplaying myself. I don't think I'd ever have the guts to cosplay and post those pictures up. I'm just too afraid of the possible comments I could recieve.

Anyways, I'm not too sad about it beacuse I'm still a major part of their cosplay! I make all their costume and I take all their pictures. Which means they have to listen to me cause all my money is going in to doing this! HA HA , Just kidding! (^_^)

AmazonMandy
12-05-2005, 03:48 PM
DaBoss...um...heck with that! We have people here who are bigger, and some of their cosplay is beautiful! Same with average and skinny people (and i'm not being mean, i get told i'm underweight, and i dont think so at all)...it takes all kinds of body types to make this world, and noone here would judge you like that...i think 98% of the people here are genuinely nice.

Cosplay isn't about always looking amazing...its also about having fun, a great hobby, a chance to meet new people and go to new places (like conventions). Don't let being down on yourself keep you from these things...Life's way too short for that.

Especially if you are that good at making them, you deserve a chance to be in the spotlight too!! *^_^* Go make yourself one! LOL

SupikaStaru
12-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I don't think weight should be a big influence on whether to cosplay or not. There are plus-sized cosplayers who look waaaaay better than most of the toothpick cosplayers. Personally, I think A-tastic's Yuuko Ichihara costume is the best and she doesn't have the same body type as the character. However, she pulls it off with her craftsmanship, attitude, and most of all, confidence.

Just be healthy, that's the most important.

Crystal Echoes
12-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I keep a photo of my husband dressed as Sesshoumaru. (He is way hot btw) and that inspired me to loose weight. So far so good, walking everyday, watching anime and telling myself 'I'm going to be hot and look good in that costume!' So far lost over fifty pounds and not only do I feel better but I'm looking good!

sundogkm
12-06-2005, 02:10 AM
I agree with AmazonMandy... I've never seen any negative comments on this site about someone's weight. I think if you're unhappy with your weight, you should try to get in shape, but if you can't or don't want to, just be happy with the way you are and cosplay anyway!

DaBossKnight
12-06-2005, 05:24 AM
So true, your all very right. I've never really seen any negative comments on any of the galleries here.

RogueMimzy
12-06-2005, 07:39 AM
I think cosplay is a great way to boost your self confidence, lose weight, etc. I was so thrilled the first time someone came up to me and asked if they could have my picture (shy lil me ^____^)

Personally, I've been trying to lose weight for so long (curse you, New Year's resolutions, curse you!) and now I've finally found a hardcore motivation. If you're seriously planning a costume that would show off your fab curves, and you really want those fab curves, yuo gotta work for it. A picture of your cosplay-in-waiting taped very nicely to the cookie jar, and the freezer, and the refrigerator, and the...(well, you get it) is a way for me to say "these won't help me look like that" and then I go off and do crunches ^___^

See? Cosplay really IS good for you! And major propz to all you people who finally found your comfy bodies; you are my inspiration:bigtu:

~Shinju-san

Angel Tifa
12-06-2005, 12:19 PM
So true, your all very right. I've never really seen any negative comments on any of the galleries here.

Yeah and if they do make negative comments, they get banned if reported. That's why I like this site ;).

Anyway, yeah I plan to lose more weight. I got back on my diet. Two years ago, I was 180 lb. at a 5' 3" height, but than I dropped 25lb. and now I'm only at 155lb. My doctor told me to be at an ideal BMI(body mass index), I have to be a 130 lb.

Yeah I agree with everyone here, cosplay is great motivation. I think anime is for me too because seeing how alot of anime characters are great fighters, it motivates me not only to lose weight, but to get more in shape.

~Tifa

Valgaav_Xellos
12-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Just another tip for people, if you don't have or don't like DDR (for it's music selection) but would still like to do a vidoegame related workout, I'd recommend trying out other related games such as Pump it Up or my favored, In the Groove games.

Pump it Up tends to have similar music choices to DDR and it involves using diagonal arrows for those who don't know...

...while In the Groove has a music selection revolving around techno, trance, and a little bit of hip hop but not much.

---

Other than that my only other tips to work out those legs would be stair climbing and running. Though I think dancing games such as the above mentioned not only take care of calves and thighs, but also it works on your stomach muscles with having to twist and jump around on the dance pad.

~Hope some of this helps you all out there trying to keep fit while having fun at the same time ^-^

Marnie-chan
12-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Running has always worked the best for me but It also is one of the hardest ways to exercise at least for me, but its garenteed to do something. Weathers its tonning or helping you sleep at night! ^-^

NeoSpike
12-07-2005, 09:32 AM
All I have to say is this-sit-ups.
when your watchinh Hellsing...do situps.
when your sitting through another brilliant cinema by the Great Hideo Kojima...situps. then, when your sick of doing situps...pushups. Lots of pushups. You don't even have to go outside! Also, running up staircases helps a lot. I typically like to get home, throw m books down, start my PlayStation up, and do all of what I just said. Situps, pushups and running up stairs. It helps greatly. Oh, and forget regular dieting. Everyone needs to find the right balance of what they do eat, don't eat, and what they should eat. Like I've always been told..consult your physician about it. As they say-to each their own. Also, if your into militaristic cosplay like I am, buy as many SWAT videos you can find. Practice what they practice. Do what they do. and play paintball, too. They are all good workouts.

AmazonMandy
12-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Situps and Pushups are good for a guy, but hard on a girls body. There's other things (like the crunches thing i mentioned) that are better for us. Also, watch running on stairs....it will take a toll on your knees....

Tenebrae
12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
*looks down at her shot knees and the cane hanging on the wall next to her*
Agreed.
Running up and down stairs would get me killed.
There's no single answer that will be right for everybody.
As a cripple, I have to say I am quite proud of my ability to lose weight and to still manage a workout twice a day.

-Tenebrae.

RoboGundam6
12-07-2005, 10:01 AM
<--still needs abs.
<--still to lazy to do push ups
<--thinks a trainer is too expensive
<--maybe lil cousin could run around house trying to break stuff & I catch them in time is a good work out.
yay for cheap labor!

SailorKagome
12-07-2005, 12:33 PM
I recently decided to do a timed amount of sit-ups (or crunches), as opposed to a centain number... And, boy, it's a lot more effective.

I did them for about ten minutes without stopping... And the next day, every time I laughed or moved my stomache, it hurt a lot. It was awesome :D I fell great.

Ugh. Stairs. I agree that it's good exercise, but I would never be able to do that. I have bad knees. Every time I *walk* up stairs, I feel like I'm about to collapse/die. So, yeah.... (Turns out that my kneecaps are in the wrong place, and something's wrong with the bones. I KNEW I hated my knees!)

mokulen22
12-07-2005, 02:59 PM
Stairs are too hard...I remember when we had a fire drill at my work (i work on the 9th floor) all those stairs...then I decided afterwards that waiting for the elevator to get back up was just too bothersome (BAD IDEA!) and walked the 9 flights...oh, I just about died! i'll never ever attempt that again. lol...but I'm sure it was a great workout. :P

NeoSpike
12-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Wow...I'm sorry ot hear about that...

energyj2001
12-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Drink lots of water and walk around a lot.

BEST ADVICE EVAR.

RockStarShuichi
12-09-2005, 09:15 PM
Jumping on DarknessSummit’s band wagon (i.e his thread on attractiveness in cosplay), I was wondering if anyone here found cosplay a motivation for weight loss?

About four years ago I decided I needed to drop some pounds (5”7 and over 200 pounds…yeah I was a bit over-weight teehee..Damn you Tim Horton’s pastries!) My first cosplay, Sakura (Naruto) was a bit on the fat-no-jitsu side. I found it was very motivating to picture myself in a tighter cosplay…sort of kept me on track after that. At Anime North 2005 I felt a lot more comfortable in my (smaller) body, I felt so darn pretty in my cosplay!

Just wondering if anyone else had such an experience?

NOTE: This thread is not about dieting; It's to ask if anyone felt cosplay was a motivation for their personal weight loss. I made some changes to make this clear

I like to cosplay and I want to lose weight but you have friends that nagg and say your okay the way you are......but what if you hate you?......just I thing I had to put because I love to cosplay and friends think I'm fine the way I am and I see otherwise

energyj2001
12-09-2005, 09:19 PM
I'm gald I'm a guy; I don't have to worry about weight loss, even ought I"m 140 pounds and 5'11.

I eat ALOT, like oh my god, but I can't gain weight.

RockStarShuichi
12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I'm gald I'm a guy; I don't have to worry about weight loss, even ought I"m 140 pounds and 5'11.

I eat ALOT, like oh my god, but I can't gain weight.

I weigh 93 pounds and I hate it......just what I feel

TristenCitrine
12-10-2005, 12:57 AM
I love doing my crunches on an exercise ball. You get more out of it for your lower abs and you can stretch you back out, too! Feels really good at the end of a workout, so I definitely recommend trying it.

The hardest part for me is glute work. Hate hate hate those "kicking" machines and have to force myself to do them. UGH, and everything after Thanksgiving is difficult :( .

Fory-san
12-10-2005, 01:05 AM
Sure thing. That's why I'm currently jogging at the local track everyday and using my Mom's Gazelle to keep in shape :::coughs::: redoing Devilman :::coughs::: @_@

Strawberry2005
12-10-2005, 01:06 AM
I have fencing to work out, and I run a lot as well. My knees are kind of shot from physical activity, but no one notices. Swimming is really good for exercising too, and if you do everything properly, it's a lot easier on your body than running on cement. I've been losing weight lately not for cosplay, but it's a bit of relief that I know I'll be able to carry off my planned cosplays more easily and I won't have to worry about my gut or unwanted fat on my body. :\

Yunalicia
12-11-2005, 12:09 AM
I weigh 93 pounds and I hate it......just what I feel

Honey I hope you are like 4'8" or else you shouldn't lose weight. It wouldn't be healthy. Did you know a healthy weight for some one 5'3" is 121 - 135 lbs? And remeber it's not about weight cause muscle weights more than fat and muscle is obviously better.

Angel Tifa
12-11-2005, 12:27 AM
Honey I hope you are like 4'8" or else you shouldn't lose weight. It wouldn't be healthy. Did you know a healthy weight for some one 5'3" is 121 - 135 lbs? And remeber it's not about weight cause muscle weights more than fat and muscle is obviously better.

Also if you have a thicker bone structure for your height(I know I do), well needlessy to say bone weight does weigh more than fat. It would even weigh more than muscle weight. So yeah, be very careful my dear ;).

I'm 5' 3 1/2", and weigh about 155 lb., that is considered overweight to some doctors, but I do know I have thicker bones for my height too. I do have alot of muscles, but I'm alittle out of shape and they need to be worked out more. I do know some of my weight is fat too, but it's not even healthy not to have any body fat whatsoever. I have heard of people who have died from not having enough fat in the body.

~Tifa

Valgaav_Xellos
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
I've lost 4 1/2 lbs in a week! Whoo!

Hope everyone else is having good luck with reaching their goals!

::hearts:: ^-^

AmazonMandy
12-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Awesome work, Valgaav! Just don't loose TOO fast! ^__^:cheers:

Tenebrae
12-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Well, this kind of sucks.
I'm still losing weight and toning up (yay me!)...
But the bad thing is that my fiancé is overweight. He's been gaining weight and hates it, but he WILL NOT CHANGE anything. He just sits there and complains about it and looks angry at me every time I say how happy I am that I'm losing weight.
We've both been complaining about not spending enough time together so I've been trying to get him to exercise with me. He just says something like, "Yeah, like that's going to happen."
I try to fix healthier foods and less of it, but then he sabotages that by having a huge lunch "because everybody else is" at work or by grabbing a bag of tortilla chips or a bag of swedish fish or something after dinner. I can't just not buy it for him...the other day he went out and bought a bunch of little "individual sundaes" that weigh in around 400 calories each. =^_^=;;
I don't really understand it, I guess. I don't understand how he can SAY he's unhappy with how he looks, but he is not willing to do anything to change it and in fact does things to make it worse.
I'm starting to wonder if he just enjoys being a "poor thing" or something - like I can't be the only one in the family who's disabled.
A couple points to put this into perspective: I'm 35 years old. He's 25.
Any suggestions for trying to deal with his self-destructive behaviour and motivate him to join me?

-Tenebrae.

AmazonMandy
12-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Oi...thats a rough one....Its almost impossible to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves... i can relate (in a way) because my once best friend took up drinking heavily, and as much as we all try to help, he hates it but doesn't care to change. Its easier for him to wallow in it than take the steps it would need to fix it. I dont know if thats the case with your guy, but it IS easier to be miserable than take the efforts like you're taking to make yourself happier and healthier in the long run. Its not something you'll be able to force on him...he'd better change for himself, or he'll have to deal with health consequences down the road, if he doesn't change...

As far as the age difference...i guess i can relate there, too. I've dated 2 guys, one of who was 16 years older than me (stupid, i know). But sometimes things like this work out, as they can for you! But its not easy...there's a world of difference in teenagers between a few years (like 16 year olds dating 19 year olds)...as we get older, i kind of think most people mature and even though age gaps can grow larger, they can still be bridged...but when you have age differences 10 year or more, no matter what ages you are in life, there's going to be some bridges to build. People are in different stages of thier life, and while you can make it work, it takes a little more than people in closer age ranges sometimes.

If you want to motivate him, i would think your positiveness about your own weight loss WOULD be the first step...seeing someone else be happy usually encourages others to want to join. You're also doing the right thing about trying to help with meals, you have a good head on your shoulders, he's lucky. I think the change is going to have to come from him...if he's not willing, i am not sure what else you can do...

Sorry i'm not more of a help, or if parts of this didn't make sense...i try :lost:

Angel Tifa
12-11-2005, 01:58 PM
I've lost 4 1/2 lbs in a week! Whoo!

Hope everyone else is having good luck with reaching their goals!

::hearts:: ^-^

Nice :)! Good work ;). For me this last week, I lost about three pounds. Now I'm going out to walk for an hour around my neighborhood.

~Tifa

rox_my_sox
12-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I didn't read all of the pages cuz theres well...14 lol so i only read the 1st page. My experience is that Dizzy from guilty gear X is my favorite character and she, aswell as quite afew other anime characters i like have abbs 4-6 packs. I have been working on my dizzy costume for a long time now perfecting it bit by bit and also dealing with my body shape. For 3-4 months I've been doing my own work out plan to get abbs which inclues:

eating healthy, with sometimes treating myself to takeout and such

drinking alot of water

doing 100-500 stomach crunches a day with a weight on my chest(depends how i felt that day)

And its been about 4 months now and I have got a 4 pack on my way to a 6 pack ^.^ It works, so i advise trying it, but you must be continous about it........NO SLACKING! lol tehehe

I'm cosplaying dizzy(hopefully finished) in may 2006.

KaiJule
12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
I need to get into shape rather that losing weight. I think that now I'm on my weight, but I feel too chubby.
My doctor recommended me not to go to the gym because of some health problems. Is it possible to build up some muscles (specially the abdomen part) at the swimming pool (doc said best place for me to do some sport ^^U)?

TinTal
12-11-2005, 05:37 PM

I'm about 4'9" or a little taller on a good day, and I must weight at least 120lbs if it makes anyone feel abit better ^^ BWHAHAHAHA! LoL. But seriously, I don't feel like I'm overweight, my doc says I'm a good size, and my friends and family approves that I'm not too chubbs. I blame my strong/thick bone structure, but proudly ^_^ And i agree with the "muscle weighs way more than fat" theory, so the number shouldn't really matter I think, just the way you feel about yourself.

I guess cosplay motives me to lose weight, especially after the way I looked in my Talim costume. I was like "Nuuuu" because I worked so hard on it and then like three days before the con I had to readjust it and it didn't turn out as glamorous as I wanted, sorta speak. But that all changed after the summer and I went back to my enormous HS and joined V-ball intramurals for fun ^_^ And you would be surprised how running for the buses everyday helps you work out xD I hope everyone is having fun and doing well reaching their weight loss goal, remember to keep high spirits!

Sango12592
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm like 5'5" or so and I weigh over 170. I'm pretty chubby :bigcry: . I was doing 2-minute per (whatever I was doing) but I wasn't "feeling the burn" I'm going as my character on gaiaonline.com and since my character's belly shows I know that I need to loose some weight. I was doing push-ups, sit ups, and curl ups until the radio dude said that scientists prove that building muscle wont loose that weight, but cardiovascular will. I was about ready to destroy my radio since I cant do cardiovascular because there isnt room to exercise in my house, its too cold outside, I have school to go to, and my gamecube version of DDR sucks. I only have until March. I guess I should start listening to CDs, keep eating salads at lunch and eating apples for my school-time snack. *sigh*

PrinceMark
12-11-2005, 08:18 PM
Hey not so much a "I lost weight" BUT

Dont forget that losing weight is great BUT you need to make sure you are not just skimping on alot of foods, as this can be dangerous!!
A good diet is "balanced" and contains everything you need to work and do stuff! ALSO make sure to get exercise in any shape or form as this will help tone as opposed to just lose excess fat, just walking/swimming/dancing or anything can be exercise!!

(Before now I was one to talk but I have been on a healthly living stint for awhile and picked up a few things from my trainers and fellow gym folks!)

And good luck dieters! Its one of the hardest things ever but just keep at it and look forward to those costumes!

Kuro Yue
12-11-2005, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine is in gymnastics, and she's only a couple years away from being able to compete in the Olympics, and she gave me her basic conditioning schedule. Considering that she's a gymnast, she's very thin and flexible, and she's got a 6-pack. XD

Hope this helps anyone:

10 wide pushups
15 narrow pushups (I have great difficulty with these, because I can't lift my own weight, and I find that if I go all the way down, I can't get back up XD)
5 V-snaps (where you lay down and bring your leg up while reaching for the ankle) per leg
10 V-snaps with both legs
25 crunches (with your knees and waist bent at 90 degrees, and your arms crossed on your chest)
45 'Jane Fondas' (where you lay on your side, have the leg up top bent and the foot on the ground, and raise the leg on the bottom) per leg.

If I weren't so lazy, I'd tell you what results I have. I'm getting in the habit of it now, because I'm actually seriously pursuing a costume for March.

Also - if you use this, and you can endure how much you're required to do, add five to whatever you feel needs to hurt more.

Yunalicia
12-11-2005, 11:00 PM
I was doing push-ups, sit ups, and curl ups until the radio dude said that scientists prove that building muscle wont loose that weight, but cardiovascular will.

Well you have it right but you are missing some information. Muscles burn more calories than fat. So the more muscles on you the more calories your body needs to just function. So if you build up muscle but still eat the same amount of calories eventually you will lose fat because you muscles are using more of the calories you eat then before. Does that make sense? i hope so. Honestly any exercise is better than nothing. If you are doinf strength training. Like push-ups sit ups ex make sure you push your self to the piont of it hurting them do about three or four more of whatever. You need to always push your body past what you are doing to get better. If you just go until it hurts you will always be at the same level.

Angel Tifa
12-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Well you have it right but you are missing some information. Muscles burn more calories than fat. So the more muscles on you the more calories your body needs to just function. So if you build up muscle but still eat the same amount of calories eventually you will lose fat because you muscles are using more of the calories you eat then before. Does that make sense? i hope so. Honestly any exercise is better than nothing. If you are doinf strength training. Like push-ups sit ups ex make sure you push your self to the piont of it hurting them do about three or four more of whatever. You need to always push your body past what you are doing to get better. If you just go until it hurts you will always be at the same level.

If it's okay for me to ask: So are you saying you should keep excersizing no matter how bad it hurts???? That's what it sound's like to me you're saying(sorry if I might've missed your point because I do that by mistake alot). What you're saying doesn't sound healthy to me:lost:.

PrinceMark
12-12-2005, 05:03 AM
If it's okay for me to ask: So are you saying you should keep excersizing no matter how bad it hurts???? That's what it sound's like to me you're saying(sorry if I might've missed your point because I do that by mistake alot). What you're saying doesn't sound healthy to me:lost:.

Im sure the person your asking can give you a much better answer than mine, but from the few things I know about exercise heres my thoughts on that.

When your muscles hurt from exercise that means (and this is what ive been told, could be wrong) that your muscles have started to tear, the protein in your body then repairs the muscles by adding new tendons and such to fix it, this makes the muscles bigger and able to do more. While you shouldnt exercise till your arms are hurting THAT much you should soon figure out whats a reasonable level to goto.

Once you hit that level try and go past it!!

If youve exercised alot or done to much running around and your muscles/limbs really really ACHE the next day or two, thats the muscle repairing itself by adding more to it, it stiffens the muscles so it can grow more tendon etc.

I think thats right, thats what a lot of my "fitness" friends say is happening.

Again; sorry to interupt and hijack the thread ^^ just thought id put my input.

Angel Tifa
12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh no not at all you're not interupting I don't think ;).

Well it could depend on the way the muscles hurt too. Last week when I started running, two days later, the muscles started hurting, but not like the excersize hurting; you know like the flu kind of pain. I do know when I started working out in the past like four years ago, my muscles hurt, but rather than the flu like kind, they just felt like they were tightening like you said. So it felt quite different last week than it did normaly when I started excerisizing, so I stopped the running, but than went down to walking an hour a day.

So I guess if it's just the muscle tightening pain rather than feeling like the flu muscle pain(I know when I get the flu, my muscles hurt, but they hurt differently), that's what you'd want it to be I'd think. I hope this make's sense.

~Tifa

energyj2001
12-12-2005, 03:52 PM
My friend is purposely eating a tapeworm to lose weight. He plans to heat up some milk and put it near his butt to lure the tapeworm out when he's lost enough weight.

Sad , I know, be proud of yourself and diet correctly.

energyj2001
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Fastest way to lose weight is to run/jog. Pushups and situps help you tone your body ;-)

PrinceMark
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
To Angel Tifa

Yes you do make sense (I was worried my post didnt make any sense at all!!)
I do understand what you mean, when your muscles ache and hurt like they would when your ill that is a bad sign and reducing your daily exercise was the best thing you could do!

The "good" (if pain can be called good) type of pain is that burning/tightning pain you get AFTER exercise as its all the acids and proteins working to build your muscles and burning excess fat etc etc.

Walking is a great way to exercise anyway (and really helps tone those legs!!) so thats a brilliant way to keep exercising if your feeling under the weather as they say.

I personaly am just trying to get a bigger build, so I am working out and eatting a lot better but more for a "weight gain" purpose as I have a very womanly and petite figure for a guy. As I want to cosplay Kingdom Hearts Cloud for a con I decided to work on my figure and get a bigger, more masculine build than what I have.

I dont want to be some muscley beefcake, but I do want to be a lot "fitter" well shaped and toned for the part. Especialy on my scrawny arms!

------------

Energyj - MAN, thats EXTREME dieting your friends doing! And a pretty grim way to lure the tapeworm out as wel!! :O Get that boy to a gym and show him the truth path of losing weight!! :D

Yunalicia
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
When your muscles hurt from exercise that means (and this is what ive been told, could be wrong) that your muscles have started to tear, the protein in your body then repairs the muscles by adding new tendons and such to fix it, this makes the muscles bigger and able to do more. While you shouldnt exercise till your arms are hurting THAT much you should soon figure out whats a reasonable level to goto.

Personally I don't know the scientific reasons behind this but that sounds about right.

I'm not saying you have to kill yourself over it but instead of doing say 50 sit ups easily everyday (which won't work cause you aren;t challenging yourslef)
You should do say 100 sit ups ever second day where you can feel the burn.

Just an example. But that's why people say you shoudl take a break (a day or so) in between working muscles groups so they have time to properly heal.

I'll go look some of this stuff up in my workout book in a bit and maybe I can reword it better.

But just as a piont don't stop doing push-ups and sit ups, they are good for you.

NeoSpike
12-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Yeah I usually go for 3-500 a day

Kuro Yue
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
Also, while doing strength training, you should go slowly. It puts more strain on your muscles, and makes them do more work, so it hurts more to do as many than if you were going fast.

Marnie-chan
12-13-2005, 10:39 AM
I time my excersises to music not only do you get a good tone up you get to lisson to your favorite songs. Music also keeps you motivated to continue what your doing, maybe play the music from the show of the character you plan to cosplay as!

sasukegenin
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
one of the best songs to work to is the japanese dragonball opening... for me anyway.

energyj2001
12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Oh oh, I like the one where Vegeta is training in the capule; it helped and motivated me to do a couple of hundred pushups and sit ups ... because i wanted to be like Prince Vegeta.

Valgaav_Xellos
12-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Trunks themes in the DBZ final bout videogames always get me pumping...

that and J rock haha XD (Go PLC!)

Yunalicia
12-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Well i'd personally like to GAIN weight
I went from a size 5 to seven that made me happy
lol I am so weired ^_^

Your not weird! Gaining weight is not necessarily a bad thing, especially if it gaining muscle. Gaining muscle is almost always a good thing.

R-chan
12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
yea cosplay also motivates me. I drink a ton of water and practice tai chi. My up coming guys I want to cosplay are pretty muscular and another I want to do is pretty hefty. So I think I'll focuse mostly on my arms. I really do wanna drop some of this for myself too

Syphon
12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Yeah.....I'd like to say thanks for all the advice up there, I myself must lose a little weight/work on my arms some for my AC Cloud cosplay...I've gotta start....got this holiday weight now to get rid of.

Konrad-Chan
12-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I lost thirty pounds for KH Squall, a year and a half ago or so.

Hasu
12-26-2005, 07:43 PM
I found out something about weight loss, for me anyways- once it starts, it's easier to continue. I got sick (really...really sick. >.<) And lost a bit of weight. That was encouragement to continue for me. See, my whole family has this crazy fast metabolism. I am diabetic, so everything I eat seems to just stay on my body. It's slightly depressing that my sister can drink a milkshake and have a hamburger and do NOTHING besides sleep and use the computer and stay thin as a rail, wheras I blow up like a ballloon.

Genecks
12-26-2005, 07:48 PM
I'm 5'10 and my max weight at one time was 335 lbs. I'm 200 lbs now. My lowest was 180 lbs. I plan on going down to 150 in time for Anime Central. Atkin's sheds off 15 lbs a month if you do it to a T with weightlifting, cardio, and diet.

Of course I never did 30 min. cardio because I didn't have the time. But I did do High Intensity Training (H.I.T.) weightlifting circuit training. I did do 3 min 7mph running warm up and cool down. I think I was at 8 mph once. I was training to get into the U.S. military, but I'm at a different level of intelligence and insanity these days. Going into the military would slow me down.

Message me if you want tips and tricks.

BTW Mark, look up the term Lactic Acid.

Fallen_Jenova
12-26-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm 5'0" and the max weight I'll allow on me is 120 or below. I'm in a dance studio that sets the dancers at a set weight and if they meet it or pass it then they are kicked out of the company. Mine is 125. But usually I'm at 100. Anyway, I went through a time when I got real sick and was down around 75.
When cosplaying I tend to stick with characters my size, because if I ever had to gain weight for a character I would just die. So, that won't happen.

Jack Kim
12-27-2005, 10:52 PM
One may also try "aojiru". I've seen it advertised on Channel 18 (Los Angeles/Orange County area) every Sunday at 8:30pm, and I've also seen it variations of it at Marukai and Mitsuwa.
Basically, it's like a vegatable-based, and milder version of "Colon Cleanse", and, among other benefits, can help one lose some weight, if not clean out one's internal tracts. It's a bit on the costly side, but sort of worth it.

If the cost is too high for some, I've heard that tea, either black or green, can also help. That and about 2 1/2 to 3 liters of water daily!

KaiJule
12-28-2005, 06:27 AM
I need to get into shape rather that losing weight. I think that now I'm on my weight, but I feel too chubby.
My doctor recommended me not to go to the gym because of some health problems. Is it possible to build up some muscles (specially the abdomen part) at the swimming pool (doc said best place for me to do some sport ^^U)?

^_^; Any ideas? (sorry to re-post)
If I can't avoid gym, any exercises that wouldn't damage my back? I ache from there D:

BlueMew
12-28-2005, 08:04 AM
It wasn't cosplay, exactly, that got me motivated in the first place to get to losing weight, but it DOES make me feel better that I wouldn't look absolutely rediculous in a one-piece body suit now.

Granted, I still feel I have 20-30 more pounds to go (I'm 5'8" and was over 200 at my heaviest) before I can pull off said one-piece body suit, but it really is a good feeling.

And I'm glad to see that people can find something to get them out of whatever funk it was that brought them to gain an unnecessary amount of weight. Kudos :)

BlueMew
12-28-2005, 08:08 AM
^_^; Any ideas? (sorry to re-post)
If I can't avoid gym, any exercises that wouldn't damage my back? I ache from there D:

Might I suggest Pilates? I'm a semi-pro athlete that's (somehow) still overweight and with a bad back. . . .so my trainer suggested pilates for me to build strength.

That REALLY built my abs nicely.

Also, try Yoga for stretching your back muscles. I personally don't like yoga, but it does stretch the muscles, and makes them less prone to hurt, at least for me.

Good luck. :)

Tenebrae
12-28-2005, 09:16 AM
I think swimming would be good if you can make the time for it. The slow movements and resistance from the water is good for helping the muscles work more, and the decreased pressure on your joints means you can concentrate on the muscles without worrying so much about hurting yourself. I like to exercise in the pool in the summer because I can really bounce around and do aerobics that I can't do on land.
I have joint problems myself and walk with a cane, so I can't really go to a gym and do a weightlifting workout.
I used to watch an exercise program called "Sit and be Fit" that was designed for the elderly or those confined to a chair. I learned a lot of very gentle stretches and ways of exercising and toning that didn't involve possibly damaging my back or other joints even more.
Yoga is good for limbering up and relaxation, but some of the moves actually put more stress on your back muscles and shouldn't be done by somebody with joint problems.
Your best bet might be to talk to your doctor about what exercises he or she recommends you do to work specific areas without damaging your body. Also, a physical therapist instead of a trainer or family doctor might be able to help you with the right exercises.

-Tenebrae.

Arlette
12-28-2005, 09:26 AM
I have to say that cosplay is about 90% of my motivation to start working out in '06.

I don't need to lose weight, but I need to tone up. Parts of me are starting to get a little too much like cottage cheese. XD I picked up a Pilates DVD and that's really great for anyone who wants some muscle tone in your lower body. So if the problem is flab around the tummy, thighs, and butt...Pilates basically just help make you more toned there.

Just remember that being skinny and being healthy are not the same thing. I can't stress that enough. Dieting is fine, in moderation. But diet without excercise is nothing.

My goal is that I have to be hot by Dragon*Con in September. My fiance is making me go as Princess Leia in the gold bikini. ;____;

KaiJule
12-30-2005, 04:32 PM
thank you for the recommendations!

I have to find MORE time to go to the swimming pool T_T

Chibi Plush Toy
12-30-2005, 04:44 PM
I do have a motivation for losing weight...wrote about it a few days ago in my LJ.

-The possibility of being attractive for once
-My overweight 4 year old cousin who scares me @_@ T___T
-wanting to wear something that *could* be bare midriff *cough*DionRogersRinoa*cough* and look GREAT in it hopefully
-Losing weight before the next con to attend
-Getting more skilled at DDR
-I want to look proportional to ME and MY body type, not the DOCTORS' OPINION OF A "HEALTHY" BODY TYPE...which is a STICK...ewww!
-Hopefully someday being able to withstand Denise Austin (fitness instructor on DVDs) and not being tempted to break the TV while she speaks...

Yeah there's my opinion there : )

VincentEternal
12-30-2005, 05:43 PM
I just want to say that in the first place no matter what size, shape, etc. you are that as long as you are happy with yourself then it doesn't matter what you look like! If you do feel that it might be beneficial to work out and lose weight for general overall good health then I'm all for it!! ^_^

KaiJule
12-30-2005, 06:05 PM
That's exactly my view, I don't feel well being so "un-shaped" XD

GingerWolf
12-30-2005, 09:54 PM
i'm 4'11" and my max weight was 130...i'm 112 right now and it's mostly muscle esides for my wee little tummy and some thick thighs...i was on the school swim team but something went wrong with my eye and i freaked out so I stopped going..I preform in my dance class...I find dance to be soo...fun...even more so belly dancing...even if you can't attend a class the home dvds are soooo wonderful...belly ddancing really works with your tummy muscles...well at least it does for me..but i'm the girl who got on birth control and lost weight instead of gaining it...>..>

esantiago7292
12-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Awhile ago I cut junbk food from my meals ect. and I lost an amazing about of weight but I still have fat and I REALLY wanna lost it but I hate working out in front of people and if I ever ask my family to leave the living room so I could work out they would laugh and I hate it when people laugh...lol thoughs have ben going through my mind about not eating but I really shouldnt.

Rynn
12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
I REALLY wanna lost it but I hate working out in front of people and if I ever ask my family to leave the living room so I could work out they would laugh and I hate it when people laugh...lol thoughs have ben going through my mind about not eating but I really shouldnt.

I'm the same way!! Pilates is AMAZING but I hate doing it in the living room where everyone can see. I don't know why anyone would be interested in WATCHING but it's just weird for me.

And don't consider not eating, break your meals from 3 big ones to 6 little ones. It makes your metabolism go crazy!

Ciarathallya
12-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Schools need to go back to PE. From K-12. Children today are far to sedentary. I know the excuse of funding and whatnot are used as reasons to cut PE, but there has to be some kind of healthy balance. To add to that parents need to encourage their kids to go out and play. Leave the <insert name of console gaming system/computer here> alone and get some fresh air. When I see a 8th grader that I confused as a mom of two then you know something is really wrong. Rather sad. :bigcry: </rant>

I've lost 20 pounds in the past four months. How? Simply by walking and biking. No really. I got hit by a car last month and somehow and still managing to make little progress. I don't believe in diets. I eat just like any other person. I just exercise portion control. I have snacks and sweets still. I just use self restrain. I envy those of you that are younger because your metabolisms are pretty good. When you get along in your years as I am (32) it makes the whole weight loss thing a pain... really difficult. Futhermore, consult your family health care provider and a nutritionist to find the best exercise routine & diet plan for you. Just find something that you like and is fun to you so you can have fun slimming down.

Tenebrae:

To answer you question a few pages back I'd suggest trying to get him to walk with you. Even if it's walking in the mall or around a book (large like Books a Million) store. He'll think your hanging out and actually tricking him into exercise. Or do the straight forward approach I did. Flat out ask him to go walking around your neighborhood, park... whatever suits you. I've been in your situation before. I know exactly how it feels for your significant other to sabotage you. Hopefully he will not do it even more as you keep making steady progress. He prolly loves the way you look, but conversely would rather you to stay pudgy along with him so that he does not feel the need or pressure to work out. He's on a one way road to the 6-foot deep hole if he keeps doing as he is. I hate to sound so grim but let me give you my perspective. I was married 4 years ago to someone that fits the description of your significant other. He sabotaged my weight loss. Discouraged my weight loss and in fact praised me for gaining. Well one day he had horrid chest pains but subsided. 2 days later he died of a heart anneurisym (sp cuz I'm too lazy to check dictionary.com). Secondary cause of death was complications of obesity. But I digress... So yeah draaaaaaag him out the door and do all you can to encourage him to be more healthy. They all say "it won't be me. I'm fine." But you never know. I wish you the best of luck.

Tenebrae
12-31-2005, 09:46 AM
-Hopefully someday being able to withstand Denise Austin (fitness instructor on DVDs) and not being tempted to break the TV while she speaks...

Hahaha!
When my joints were in better shape, I used to watch her show on TV and do her workout. Although she is rather overly "bubbly", I have to admit that she is one of the best fitness instructors I've seen. She has a realistically-shaped body. Her hips and thighs are a bit big and she doesn't have breast implants. She also knows what she's talking about and I appreciate the way she'd discuss the proper way to do an exercise so it won't hurt you. I still use a lot of the things she's taught me when doing my workout now. Her smile, though, is like a thing possessed. I think she stole it from the Osmonds. ;)
It's good to know what you're doing when you start a workout so you don't end up hurting yourself.
It's good to be comfortable with your body for cosplay and for health.

Ciarathallya: I am so sorry to hear that, but thank you for sharing it. You always hope it doesn't come to that...but you're right. It can happen to anybody. :(

-Tenebrae.

esantiago7292
12-31-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm the same way!! Pilates is AMAZING but I hate doing it in the living room where everyone can see. I don't know why anyone would be interested in WATCHING but it's just weird for me.

And don't consider not eating, break your meals from 3 big ones to 6 little ones. It makes your metabolism go crazy!

crazy metabolism..that dosent sound good. I guess I should re-think what I'm doing. Thanks for the info. :bigtu:

Lorem Ipsum
12-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Awhile ago I cut junbk food from my meals ect. and I lost an amazing about of weight but I still have fat and I REALLY wanna lost it but I hate working out in front of people and if I ever ask my family to leave the living room so I could work out they would laugh and I hate it when people laugh...lol thoughs have ben going through my mind about not eating but I really shouldnt.

I had the exact same problem when I tried to lose some weight a few months ago. I was trying to play DDR to lose weight (it sounds cliche, but a friend of mine lost 15 pounds on it) but I never could because our PS2 is in our living room, and everyone didn't like me jumping around and all that while they were trying to read/work/sleep. Its kinda bad because my weight is starting to go up again. Gotta cut back on pop I guess.

energyj2001
12-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Candidly speaking, looking at some cosplayer its healthly to lose some weight.

Strawberry2005
12-31-2005, 10:39 PM
crazy metabolism..that dosent sound good. I guess I should re-think what I'm doing. Thanks for the info. :bigtu:

Not eating will cause your metabolism to slow down because your body doesn't know when you'll be eating your next meal, so it ends up storing the fat that you want to get rid of. Eventually, you will lose weight from not eating, but you also lose muscle mass as well (the weight that you don't want to lose). Additionally, when you do start eating again, you'll just gain the pounds back right away. Eating small (healthy!) snacks between meals keeps your body satiated and it keeps your metabolism at a healthy pace.

esantiago7292
12-31-2005, 10:42 PM
I had the exact same problem when I tried to lose some weight a few months ago. I was trying to play DDR to lose weight (it sounds cliche, but a friend of mine lost 15 pounds on it) but I never could because our PS2 is in our living room, and everyone didn't like me jumping around and all that while they were trying to read/work/sleep. Its kinda bad because my weight is starting to go up again. Gotta cut back on pop I guess.

My house kinda shakes when I play DDR, it wasent a problem at first but now I play on Heavy so I'm al over the place. I played at my friend's house one time and her house is old and it sounded like the house was going to fall down, it was pretty funny. But playing DDR helped me lose some weight, not to much but atleast I had fun doing it.

energyj2001
12-31-2005, 11:34 PM
XD

How candid.