PDA

View Full Version : Fan run Masq at CN2005

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Alright I posted about this in another thread and want to know if anyone is interested. I am not too sure how to do this.....if Sat would be best or maybe during Sun or whatever? All I know is that there is a lot of people who either will not get into the official masq or just not want to bother with the hassel so why not hold another one? I guess it would kinda be un-official but maybe we could consider it kinda like a hall masq or something? I could get some DVD's together for prizes if someone could get some certificates together that would be great.

Either way it's out there and I'm willing to help run/assist with it so let's hear some ideas.

Edgar Strife
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
Sounds like fun, I have some ideas that could help.

If we have it on Sat, it should be after the after the masquerade cause everyone is going to be busy during the day with events, photoshoots and the masquerade itself and I'm sure there are many cosplayer who like to be a part of it you know plus nothing seems to be going on after the masquerade but yet again, i could be wrong.

Or myabe during the morning or afternoon on Sunday. I still have the old map for CN, maybe i can find a good place for the fan masquerade unless there changing the locations then it could be a probelm.

Hum....what do we need? If its going to be kinda like a masquerade and cosplayers intend to show there skit or do walks on, cd players [not the walkmans] were going to need for those cosplayer who requires music, a guest speaker to anounce the group or the cosplayers, were going to need a huge space area that won't interfare with traffic. And off course, were going to need helpers in order to get the place set up and we also need cammera people to take the photos of the cosplayers. So far that's what I can think off, I hope these ideas help.

Amy the Yu
08-03-2005, 08:34 PM
That sounds like a good idea since not everyone will get into the CN masq or won't have the guts to go up on stage in the giant theatre.

However, just to set facts straight, regarding the title of your thread, the "official" CN masq is fan run as well. None of the masq staffers (or even the masq director) are part of Hobbystar...nor is anyone paid in any way.

Edgar Strife
08-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Hum....., then maybe we should think of a different name then.

Kia
08-03-2005, 08:40 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here, if you set up something large and independently run on MTCC ground during the con, there's a good chance you'll get shut down. Even if you try and contact the proper people on staff about finding a space, they'll probably try and make money off you instead.

BTW, I completely understand what you mean by a FAN run masq, but Kaijugal IS a fan herself, please don't forget that (just wanted to point that out in the light of issuse brought up in other CN threads recently). The problem is that CN isn't a FAN run convention, so I highly doubt they'll be accomodating to fans who are trying to better tha con for those who won't be able to participate in a masquerade that's ultimately controled by the corporate bigwigs. :: sigh ::

Good Luck though. I'm really sorry I have nothing really helpful to contribute. But if you need anything, let me know. ^_^

Edgar Strife
08-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Hum....if that's the case, we best be careful. Thanks Kia for the advice. Any ideas?

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
The issue here is just how many people apply/sign up. Since it's on here a lot of the community will not know about it. I sure *hope* not to get 100 entries requesting to be involved. Even though it's kinda evil maybe some kind of cap? We can't have it get too large because of those reasons. So something around 20 entries maybe? Also with something small such as that we would not have to worry about music and such. Since there is not 7000 people watching we shouldn't have to worry about people not being able to hear and stuff. Also there is the park across the way. Pretty good place for it if not within the halls. But there are a lot of empty halls in there....

I can certainly announce them and stuff. No problems there.

New name eh? I'll think of something.....uhh...Otaku Masq of Freedom? No. Too stupid. Hmmm.....anyone know how to edit the main title? I tried..it's not working.

Amy the Yu
08-03-2005, 09:30 PM
The issue here is just how many people apply/sign up. Since it's on here a lot of the community will not know about it. I sure *hope* not to get 100 entries requesting to be involved. Even though it's kinda evil maybe some kind of cap? We can't have it get too large because of those reasons. So something around 20 entries maybe? Also with something small such as that we would not have to worry about music and such. Since there is not 7000 people watching we shouldn't have to worry about people not being able to hear and stuff. Also there is the park across the way. Pretty good place for it if not within the halls. But there are a lot of empty halls in there....

I can certainly announce them and stuff. No problems there.

New name eh? I'll think of something.....uhh...Otaku Masq of Freedom? No. Too stupid. Hmmm.....anyone know how to edit the main title? I tried..it's not working.Speaking of parks (or not really), There's the underground food court across the street. If you can get people to sign up and then move there, you can probably use that space without much problem since most the food places close early cause they don't realize what gluttons hobbiest fans are and always run out of food and close by about late Saturday or early Sunday at the latest. XD

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
If that is the case we would have a rather large area. With that we would be able to accept much more people.......So who else thinks this is a good idea?

I think the idea of doing it AFTER the regular masq is a good idea. Then everyone can just gather in one area and move to a next area. It will only be about 10 so it also won't be very late.

TribalButterfly
08-03-2005, 10:07 PM
If you need any help, lemmie know Otaking.

I think having it After the masq on saturday would be a bit hard though. That's going to be late, and a lot of people are going to be tiered - some would have gone home already.

Since sunday is usually pretty slow, why don't we have it then? We can go outside in the park where it is less crowded - durring the day, we won't have to worry about it being too dark outside, and passers by will probubly even get a kick out of stopping by to check us out!

It's just a suggestion :)

(I hope this isn't stepping on your toes Kaijugal. I'm pretty sure that Otaking is suggesting this in NO WAY to cause any offence, disrespect, or insult to you, or all the hard work that you have dedicated towards the official masq throughout the years.)

Otaking97
08-03-2005, 10:40 PM
Of course this is no disrespect. I'm all about providing some of the poor individuals who do not get a chance or do not wish to get up infront of the sometimes howling and out of control crowd.

Sunday is good too...hmmm.....we'll get some response of people who wish to be a part of it and see if they vote Sat or Sun. A lot of fans can only be there on the Sat.

Chosuke
08-04-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't see where you would hold it.
CN is crowded enough as it is.
And the stage area has to be reserved.

trixyloupwolf
08-04-2005, 12:48 AM
could be cool.....^-^.......
since we will certainly not be abble to participate in the real thuing too bad i like costume contest.....

well good luck
if its work i will be one of the concurent....lol....^-^.....

its gonna be my first convention.by the way...

Sarcasm-hime
08-04-2005, 01:01 AM
I'm not seeing how this will work. Masquerades require space for the audience to sit or stand, some kind of sound system, a backstage area, someone to introduce the acts, people backstage to organize everyone, people to handle signup and running order....it's a pretty big production. By 'unofficial' do you just mean people randomly doing 'skits' in the middle of a hall? And no matter how unofficial it is, the more people you have the longer it will take, which is the reason we've had to put a cap on the Masquerade in the first place. :P

Kaijugal
08-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I think the idea of doing it AFTER the regular masq is a good idea. Then everyone can just gather in one area and move to a next area. It will only be about 10 so it also won't be very late.

If you decide to hold it after the John Bassett Theatre masquerade you'll have to do it outside the MTTC then, Security starts clearing the main building at 9pm.

(I hope this isn't stepping on your toes Kaijugal. I'm pretty sure that Otaking is suggesting this in NO WAY to cause any offence, disrespect, or insult to you, or all the hard work that you have dedicated towards the official masq throughout the years.)

No, not at all. This is how events get started. It's nice that people are stepping up and taking the lead with a new idea. Usually I have to twist arms to get new people to step up to the plate and do the work to try and implement new ideas.

Actually to a large extent this is exactly how the head of Con No Baka described he wants his cosplay events to run at his conevention. He just wants the cosplayers to make thier own fun.

My only suggestion is that Otaking you NOT cap the masq and when it gets popular enough see how unmanageable anything near or over 100 entries is. ^_^" hee.

Cheers!

kuko-chan
08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
This sounds like a cool idea. With less people signing up than CN and AN's masquerade, it's a good thing because it won't be as complicated and busy (I imagine...). I have some suggestions based on Sarcasm's query:
1) Area for audience - it's my impression that this is for anyone who happens to be walking by, they might glance and watch for a little bit. If this were done in a hallway, it might get crowded real fast, but if it were done in, say, the front lobby, lots of people would have a vantage point for watching (from the top area by the escalators, from around the lobby, from the doors, etc.)
2) Sound system - Assuming there aren't a lot of people, and this is held in a smaller area, it wouldn't be necessary for a large sound system. Like Edgar Strife said, they could use a cd player or boombox (unless the convention centre people have a problem with that)
3) Backstage - Again, depending on where it's held and how crowded it is, a backstage isn't really required. In my opinion, all a backstage does is conceal the other masqeraders who haven't gone up yet and leaves their costumes a surprise.
4) Announcer - Since Otaking is organizing it, he could be the announcer.
5) Backstage hands - Since this is unofficial, no one should expect complicated acts requiring huge amounts of effort. I think this should be more to show off your costume, end of story.
6) Signing up - Otaking or whoever could set up somewhere in the lobby, for example, and anyone interested in this event could put their name down, character, etc (I'm no good at making up sign-up form information).

I think with enough planning and organizing, you guys could pull this off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it will be easy (I have no experience of hosting an event this large, the most I did was a three-entry masquerade for my school's anime club) but it doesn't mean don't do it. Good luck with this!

TribalButterfly
08-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Great ideas there kuko-chan!

We've got a lot of artists here on cosplay.com. Im sure we could come up with a great sign!

Chosuke
08-04-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm not seeing how this will work. Masquerades require space for the audience to sit or stand, some kind of sound system, a backstage area, someone to introduce the acts, people backstage to organize everyone, people to handle signup and running order....it's a pretty big production. By 'unofficial' do you just mean people randomly doing 'skits' in the middle of a hall? And no matter how unofficial it is, the more people you have the longer it will take, which is the reason we've had to put a cap on the Masquerade in the first place. :P

I second these.
Its more about the lack of space and equipment, and the fact HobbyStar will probably nail you. Considering they get upset if you fool around, nevermind try to host an event out of what they planned.

TribalButterfly
08-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I don't think Hobbystar COULD say anything, if we just had some kind of "spontaneous cosplay showing - out in the park across the street" where hobystar (as far as I know) has no authority. The grassy area is public property and who’s to say it's not just "a bunch of cosplayers, having fun, and messing around"

We don't HAVE TO have prizes. It doesn't have to be a COMPETITION. The main reason why this idea started was because people were worried about not getting a chance to perform their skits - which they worked really hard on. So, why don't we (maybe just for now) just focus on that?
How can hobystar get mad at us for just showing off out costumes and skits, on public property? U could easily chalk that one up to cosplayers just goofing around outside!

AND if people really DO want prizes, then, well... they're GIFTS! Gifts for being awesome! Haha!

And as for lack of equipment, portable, battery run stereo’s can be acquired. Microphones can be plugged into them.
And if that isn’t good enough, well you know what? Then some people will just have to settle for what we CAN do, and be appreciative.
I think that there are a lot of people out there who would be very grateful just for the effort being made.
And those who are not? Well, I’m sure there will be enough appreciative people to take up their spots. No one’s going to be forced to perform. :)

Chosuke
08-04-2005, 05:49 PM
I don't think Hobbystar COULD say anything, if we just had some kind of "spontaneous cosplay showing - out in the park across the street" where hobystar (as far as I know) has no authority. The grassy area is public property and who’s to say it's not just "a bunch of cosplayers, having fun, and messing around"

We don't HAVE TO have prizes. It doesn't have to be a COMPETITION. The main reason why this idea started was because people were worried about not getting a chance to perform their skits - which they worked really hard on. So, why don't we (maybe just for now) just focus on that?
How can hobystar get mad at us for just showing off out costumes and skits, on public property? U could easily chalk that one up to cosplayers just goofing around outside!

AND if people really DO want prizes, then, well... they're GIFTS! Gifts for being awesome! Haha!

And as for lack of equipment, portable, battery run stereo’s can be acquired. Microphones can be plugged into them.
And if that isn’t good enough, well you know what? Then some people will just have to settle for what we CAN do, and be appreciative.
I think that there are a lot of people out there who would be very grateful just for the effort being made.
And those who are not? Well, I’m sure there will be enough appreciative people to take up their spots. No one’s going to be forced to perform. :)

Nothings public.
People get permits to do that sort of thing. Without one, it could be called a public disruption. Especially if the noise is loud, or the businesses around it complain that the performance is interfering with customers.

I'm not trying to rain on everyones parade, but be realistic.
The spaces are slim this year, but hey, whatever. Work with what you can get I guess.

Otaking97
08-04-2005, 06:21 PM
That's like saying you can not sit and talk in a park. People being in a park can not really be told to leave unless they are causing havoc. I wouldn't consider cosplay havoc. Smashing things is. Once again this is not something I expect to have 1000 people at. Maybe 100. Not sure. But because of the size it's also nothing I expect to last any longer than an hour. By the time anyone complains we should be gone. Will have to see how it goes. I know a lot of people will avoid it like the plague where others will welcome it and want to be a part of it.

The park, lobby, hallway or underground parking. There are plenty of places to set something up. It's the timing that is hard. People do photoshoots everywhere. What's the difference? Same thing really. Bunch of people doing stuff.

There is still basically a month to get everything worked out. Plenty of time. If it fails it does. But I can not see that. Even if there are only 10 entries it will still be a success. Like Kaijugal said it's all about people stepping up and trying. And I'm willing to give it my best. I'm not a newbie to the scene in anyway and know how to handle myself. I think it can be done with people who are willing to go for it. What I recommend is that anyone willing to be involved and participate here go to my site at www.animegusto.com and post in the thread I have there. That way I can talk to everyone a bit easier and keep track of who wants to be in and stuff.

As mentioned I can host it and all that. I also have around 6 DVD's that I can give out as prizes. Nothing special but something is better than nothing right? But I am looking for a judge or two. I don't feel qualified to judge people myself. But once again this is clearly a fun thing. I wouldn't mind doing this at each big con for once again people who don't get into the regular masq or simply do not want to get up infront of 10,000 people.

But keep those suggestions coming. Good or bad I like to hear them all. If you think cops are going to come in and crack my skull for doing it that's cool too.

Scoti
08-04-2005, 07:06 PM
No offence, but the places you mentioned (The park, lobby, hallway or underground parking) are full of people!... and cars?. It's fine to socialize and take pictures in this setting but to call it a suitable place for a masquerade is ridiculous. You are either going to piss a lot of people off by creating a backlog of human traffic or you’ll just be moved by staff.

I would make a suggestion for a place but I really can’t think on one you wouldn’t be disturbed from. If you do find an area I would think that holding a fashion show type event would be less of a hassle to continue if you have to move to a new location. plus if staff comes by you can all pretend you're just a large group of friends listening to music.. hehe

good luck

Otaking97
08-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Really? I was down in the underground parking lot last year for over and hour and saw maybe 2 people. I go to the park every year for the last 7 years or however long it's been running and it's usually not very crowed. It is around say 12 noon because of lunch but not later in the day. I have been down MANY hallways where there is not a soul. The lobby however is crowed.

Either way though thanks for the input. We'll keep thinking.

I'll have it backed by my site. That way I can say it was sponsered by Anime Gusto so it sounds cool and stuff.

Mage
08-05-2005, 02:14 AM
Actually, you can be told to leave a park. Most parks (at least in Mississauga) have signs posted around the entrance saying that the park closes at dusk. It's just one of those things they're not likely to enforce. =P

I'd be wary of trying to stage anything in an area booked by the con. Just to avoid disruption by the Evil Forces of Hobbystar. Maybe have it off down one of the hallways closer to the hotel entrance? As has already been said, the MTCC security will come around and kindly ask you to leave after 9 (and yeesh, they're persistant sometimes). The food court across the street might be closed/locked because it's really only open for corporate hours. Have a back-up location so if the primary one doesn't work out, people know where to find you.

I don't think prizes are really necessary. It's likely that there won't be any hard and fast judging system, so I think the satisfaction of being able to show off your stuff is a good enough reward for all participants. Certificates are always a nice touch, though. =)

TribalButterfly
08-05-2005, 06:01 AM
I don't think it's that kind of park.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about that grassy area right across the street from the convention centre - not a conservation area.

But i could be mistaken.

Scoti
08-05-2005, 08:23 AM
I don't think it's that kind of park.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about that grassy area right across the street from the convention centre - not a conservation area.

But i could be mistaken.

Even if you are, that's CBC property it's not just a public park. In fact I don't think it's even really a "park", it's more like a corporate courtyard with security cameras and such.

Kaijugal
08-05-2005, 10:19 AM

^^(Haha now you know how I feel.) -_-" Here's a newsflash. No matter what you do, it's never good enough for some people. -_-"
(p.s. but if you belive in it, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Just keep in mind that some people are ungreatful output orifices.

Yeah, you'd THINK so ...but some people are just bummy. *wry grin* Still it's best to research your options, try to work within legallity and not get discouraged.

OTAKING, Thought.

Last night while at work I had a thought, just an idea mind you, that perhaps you'd be interested in considering.

What about running an Anime Only Hall costume competition? If you would be interested in that I could try and get Hobbystar's permission to run it onsite, and therefore eliminating 99% of your problems, with the location and whatnot. You can get some inexpensive ribbons or give aways or whatever, and you're cooking.

You could limit it to those people who are not in the masquerade, and start it directly after we close registration around 1pm on saturday. (At that time people will know if they are in or not.)

Also that will give you lots of time during con hours to run it, and time to let those anime cosplayers who are not on cosplay.com know.

What do you think?

If you're at all interested , please let me know soon so I can persue it with Hobbystar.
Cheers!
~Dawn / Kaijugal

Vicky
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that the people in charge of CNX are a coorporation.
Perhaps what you *should* be doing is contacting them first.
What Dawn suggested works as well.

I won't go, but I'm sure it'll do well :)

Amy the Yu
08-05-2005, 12:56 PM
What about running an Anime Only Hall costume competition?
~Dawn / KaijugalI was actually thinking a while ago that a hall competition would be nice for CN, but I think making it anime only would create the opposite problem that was seen with the masq cap.

What about something like AN's hall costume "ninja judging"? Well, not quite exactly like that, but just have ribbons or certificates to give people who are deemed to have good costumes, and who don't plan to enter the masquerade in said costumes. And not just anime, but for any deserving costume. I can think of quite a few costumes that I've seen in previous years from comic books, TV, an a whole barrage of other sources that will probably never make it to a masquerade, but I think are very deserving of some kind of recognition for all the hard work that was put into them.

Kaijugal
08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
I'd like to remind everyone that the people in charge of CNX are a coorporation.
Perhaps what you *should* be doing is contacting them first.

^_^ I was waiting how long it would take someone to say this. XD I was going to mention it, it seems rather obvious doesn't it?

Anyhow, offer still stands. LMK.

I was actually thinking a while ago that a hall competition would be nice for CN, but I think making it anime only would create the opposite problem that was seen with the masq cap.

What about something like AN's hall costume "ninja judging"? Well, not quite exactly like that, but just have ribbons or certificates to give people who are deemed to have good costumes, and who don't plan to enter the masquerade in said costumes. And not just anime, but for any deserving costume. I can think of quite a few costumes that I've seen in previous years from comic books, TV, an a whole barrage of other sources that will probably never make it to a masquerade, but I think are very deserving of some kind of recognition for all the hard work that was put into them.

Well , since you know me, you know that I'd prefer it to be open to anyone in costume :bigtu: , but since it's Otaking's idea and it was spawned from the idea of giving an alternative to the cosplayers who didn't get into the masq, I phrased it that way.

Chosuke
08-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I think the hall-costume thing is a great idea.
It'll make people who have the great costumes for masq, but don't get in..probably feel as if all the hard work was worth it.
Or maybe just a little competition to be better.

Vicky
08-05-2005, 02:36 PM
^_^ I was waiting how long it would take someone to say this. XD I was going to mention it, it seems rather obvious doesn't it?
hehe, yeah you'd think so ;) I was surprised no one did yet ^^;

TribalButterfly
08-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Kaijugal, I think ur offer is amazing!!! if I were Otaking97, I'd take u up on that!
Every bit of help it a welcome bit of help as far as I am concerned! Haha!

I do agree with Amy though, when she says that it would be better not to restrict the entries only to anime cosplayers. I think that might upset some people, and if it were me, I wouldn’t want to exclude anyone.

Kaijugal
08-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Kaijugal, I think ur offer is amazing!!! if I were Otaking97, I'd take u up on that!
Every bit of help it a welcome bit of help as far as I am concerned! Haha!

Thanks, but it's ultimately up to Otaking. It's just an offer to try. He had his own ideas of what he wants to do, so ultimately it's up to him to decide what he wants to do with it.

I do agree with Amy though, when she says that it would be better not to restrict the entries only to anime cosplayers. I think that might upset some people, and if it were me, I wouldn’t want to exclude anyone.

As do I, but if you were going to have an impromptu cosplay in the hall or park was anyone going to invite the non anime cosplayers? It didn't sound like it.

TribalButterfly
08-05-2005, 08:37 PM
I would have. I would have just stood there screaming for anyone who wanted to come show off their stuff, to run up and sign up! Haha!
At the very least i wouldnt have made it sound like only anime cosplayers were invited. Just let whoever wanted to participate do so :)

Happy Cosplay to Everyone! :)

Otaking97
08-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Ahh excellent. A possible very real solution to our greatest problem. I like what I see. I must thank you very much Kaijugal for the assistance.

As mentioned in my PM to you with all the negative talk about Hobbystar I was not going to bother with asking them for assistance. Handling this on my own with my own ability was what I was going to do. But I will certainly not pass up such a generous offer. I will work on a entry form today and have it posted on my site for people to pre-reg for it even. Just so I can have a base of people that know about it and would like to be involved. There are plenty who are not on here who will not find out about it until the Con itself.

All cosplayers are welcome of course. My mind is rather one sided to anime/game cosplayers so don't mind me if I don't mention the others. They are certainly welcome. This is for ANYONE that either does not get into the regular masq or simply does not want to go into it.

I see great things happening very soon.....

PS. Sorry about no reply for 2 days. I was on my weekend and since I work on a PC all day I really hate looking at it at home.

Kaijugal
08-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Okay Otaking,

Good News !, you're good to go, I talked your event up to the big bosses and it has been approved. (cha-ching!) ^_^ :bigtu:

And I quote, "Sounds like fun. Permission Granted!" :jjacks:

I gave you a high recommendation so I hope all goes well. (Feels her neck on the chopping block *wry grin* :) Since the organizers are considring this part of the masq programming please come see me on site at some point early saturday so we can have a short chat and I can let the relevant people know who you are. :)

I hope alliviating your location problem helps your event along. :)

If you don't mind when you've decided on exactly how it's going to be handled could you please, PLEASE, :waaaah: give me a copy of all the information, where , when , how people sign up at the show or qualify, how they get ahold of you, etc. so the Masq reg desk will have that information as well, (because I'm sure people will be asking.)

You may even want to make a snazy sign with all those details we can hang up at the desk to let people know. (Including any security who may have slept thru the events briefing) ^_~ *chuckles*

All the Best for your event!
Cheers!

~Kaijugal / Dawn :)

Otaking97
08-08-2005, 05:00 PM
All I have to say is......AWESOME! I did not think that it would of been so easy. It's great to see support for extra fun.

Don't worry. I am no slacker or lazy bum so your neck is safe from that axe. We will talk more about it through PM more of course and will certainly come meet you early so we can discuss stuff. Just name the time and place.

I will also give you all relevant information when I have enough to give you. Me and my buddy will be doing the EVA repair team so we will of course be able to been seen from one side of the con to the other so at least we will be easy to see and find!

Sign? I'll see what I can do. I suck at that kinda stuff but I'm sure others don't.

SO PEOPLE? THIS IS A REAL DEAL NOW. SO WHO'S IN AND WHO'S OUT??? LET'S HEAR SOME SUPPORT AND GET SOME CONTESTANTS. THE CON ISN'T FAR AWAY.

Edgar Strife
08-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I won't be in the masquerade, but I like to join in for this event. I just need info that's all.

Otaking97
08-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I won't be in the masquerade, but I like to join in for this event. I just need info that's all.

Excellent! I remember you from NAF. Go to my site at www.animegusto.com and under conventions you can find the form to fill out. Then when I have all information I will send it to you.

TribalButterfly
08-08-2005, 05:25 PM
I wanna help :)

Otaking97
08-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Excellent! I remember you from NAF. Go to my site at www.animegusto.com and under conventions you can find the form to fill out. Then when I have all information I will send it to you.

Of course I didn't forget you silly! You were first to support me.

Crap. This was supposed to be an edit to my other response. Not create a new one.....Can you delete posts?

Edgar Strife
08-08-2005, 05:47 PM

Perfect, I found the form and I'm happy to hear that you remember me. Thanks alot and also, do I e-mail it back to you or do I print out and hand it over to you at the convention? Also, it may take me a while before I can get the form fill out [I'm trying to see if I can get the outfit I want ready for the show but yet again I may have another oufit plan for the show as well so i'm kinda deciding on a outfit.]

Otaking97
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Perfect, I found the form and I'm happy to hear that you remember me. Thanks alot and also, do I e-mail it back to you or do I print out and hand it over to you at the convention? Also, it may take me a while before I can get the form fill out [I'm trying to see if I can get the outfit I want ready for the show but yet again I may have another oufit plan for the show as well so i'm kinda deciding on a outfit.]

It would be best to either email it to me or post it on my forum when you have it completed. Or at the con itself if you can not get to it in time. Either is fine. But please do a post on my forum saying you are going to attend so I can get a attendee base growing.

PS. Of course I remember you. You were right after us in the masq.

TribalButterfly
08-08-2005, 06:30 PM
YAY OTAKING!

I am ur left hand!!!

....eeew... that sounded dirty.... :p

Otaking97
08-10-2005, 05:23 PM
How about this idea for the extra little hall masq at CN and AN. What I want to do is have cosplayers take a scene or act and then work with it to make it really funny. Since I saw this idea on this forum I think it's amusing and could work. It's the Geico car insurance joke. What does everyone think?

No matter what skit or characters you are doing the end line has to be below.

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

If this has been done to death and I'm stupid just tell me. Keep the ideas coming.

PS. I still only have a few people signed up currently.

Edgar Strife
08-10-2005, 05:59 PM
How about this idea for the extra little hall masq at CN and AN. What I want to do is have cosplayers take a scene or act and then work with it to make it really funny. Since I saw this idea on this forum I think it's amusing and could work. It's the Geico car insurance joke. What does everyone think?

No matter what skit or characters you are doing the end line has to be below.
I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

If this has been done to death and I'm stupid just tell me. Keep the ideas coming.
PS. I still only have a few people signed up currently.

Hey, that's not bad. Sounds like a great idea for the fan masquerade if you ask me. This could be very interesting, plus it would be fun if someone does the get spotted drinking a pepsie comercial....[Imagine, FF characters try to catch a chocobo [Chocobo theme begins to play]and then gets spotted. [muic then change to a battle theme] The out come, unkown] Hum......we could also take a sence from any games or anime right?

Otaking97
08-10-2005, 06:04 PM
YES! Anything fun such as that. Maybe we could have the choice of 2 or 3 different things and contestants can choose?

Just for you shy people I don't plan to have the whole thing based on this. I plan to first have the people who just want to go up and off or do their own thing go. And then all the Gusto skit people go. That is where the real prizes will come in. But I want to make sure no one is excluded.

Just for her TribalButterfly will be assisting me with this so she isn't crazy if she says so. Hehehe.

kuko-chan
08-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Wow, that actually sounds pretty fun! It's goofy and helps shy people loosen up! ^_^

TribalButterfly
08-13-2005, 05:56 AM
HAHAAH! Thanks Otaking! :p

Kaido Kaoru
08-13-2005, 12:49 PM
I'd be really interested in doing this...only becuz I don't believe that the skit that me and my friends have worked so hard on so far will be able to do our skit in one minute......I hate these one minute rules....its difficult! >.< We would need at the least 2! is that too much to ask.!...*cries*

But yes!!!We are VERY much interested! And I don't really care about prizes....just the fun alone would be GREAT! and the fact that our skit will be ACTUALLY seeeeeeeeeen! But if this doesn't happen then oh well I guess and thanks for putting in the effort.....

~*~kaidoh~*~

TribalButterfly
08-13-2005, 07:24 PM
You're welcome! :) But i absolutly hope that things to play out. With Dawn's help in getting our FunRun approved by Hobbystar, she's done an amazing thing! She's locked for us a location and time! YAY DAWN! the main thing we need now is the people to preform in it, so i think the main hassle has already been taken care of.
:)
Right? Wrong?

Otaking97
08-14-2005, 05:15 PM
This is still good to go. I don't have any type of time limit on skits but I think 5 minutes should be more than enough time. Anything past 5 minutes starts to get long. I don't have many details yet about things but yes since this is approved we will not have to worry about security and things like that.

Sign up to be involved at my site and give me input on everything you need/want to do.

We still need a time? Regular masq starts at around 7 so I'm thinking 3 for a time frame on Sat? Maybe even run it again on Sun if everything works out. Just a bit earlier? What do you guys think?

Also what do you think is better? A hallway or a room?

Edgar Strife
08-14-2005, 08:04 PM
We still need a time? Regular masq starts at around 7 so I'm thinking 3 for a time frame on Sat? Maybe even run it again on Sun if everything works out. Just a bit earlier? What do you guys think?
Also what do you think is better? A hallway or a room?

Hum....as for time, maybe at 2:30pm? Sat morrning and in the afternoon many events are going on, I know at 4:00 on Sat I'll be organizing a FF groupshot. As for place, it depends.

Room---depends how big the room is, it wouldn't be a bad place, its good if you like to have a bunch of cosplayers together, yet again, if its get too crowded then it could be a problem. Chances it could draw less people to come if they don't know where the place or room is

Hallway--Its better here because its gives the cosplayers more room, plus it could draw alot of attentions. And it make it easir for other cosplayers to find us or to join us. I don't see anything wrong here.

But like I said, it depends where its going to be and how much space we can get. Other than that, my best bet is the Hallway.

TribalButterfly
08-15-2005, 06:43 AM
The FMA Photoshoot is scheduled for 2:00, so I might be a lil late :eeek:

Otaking97
08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Update:

It will be running in the lobby after the regular masq sign up closes at 1pm.

Hope this works for everyone.

TribalButterfly
08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Sounds good to me!!!

Look out for signs people! It will be right after the CN Picnic! :)

mokulen22
08-16-2005, 09:22 AM
Right after the picnic! Cool, I don't think I'm doing anytihng else! I can go! HURRAY!! *huggies Otaking and TribalButterfly* you guys are so COOL!! :jjacks:

Edgar Strife
08-16-2005, 09:36 AM
So 1:00pm it is? Alright, that sounds great to me.

Kaido Kaoru
08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Sorry but what day is that?

~*~kaidoh~*~

Otaking97
08-16-2005, 04:23 PM
This is on the Sat right after the regular masq sign up ends.

This is open for anyone, anime or not.

If people are interested and it goes well I may run it again on Sun.

TribalButterfly
08-16-2005, 05:09 PM
YAY FUN RUN!!!

Everybody, don't forget to sign up your skits at Otaking's forum - www.animegusto.com !!!

*Moku is 2 adorible!*

Otaking97
08-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Alright people. Looks like the time is up. There is only 5 days now until CN begins. Thanks for all the suggestions and support and I will see everyone who wants to be involved Sat.

Just so everyone doesn't forget I will be in my EVA repair team orange suit with my other friend who is assisting me running the show. So if you see me come find me and get a sign up sheet for the extra masq Sat at 1 PM. You will see other information about it posted up around as well.

Any last minute suggestions or questions send them my way.

See you all there.

TribalButterfly
08-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Where will you be, with the sign up sheet hun?

Otaking97
08-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Where will you be, with the sign up sheet hun?

From 10AM to 12PM I will be around the dealer room or main lobby. 12PM to around 12:30 I will be at TribalButterfly's Picnic. 12:30 to 1 I will be in the lobby setting everything up that needs to be done. Between the 10-12 timeframe when in the lobby I will be found there setting things up and staking territory. I will also be talking to Dawn where ever she will be in that time as well. Likely the regular masq sign up spot. My cosplay is VERY bright and will be seen easily from space.

I do believe the extra masq sheets will be available at the regular masq sign up station as well.

TribalButterfly
08-22-2005, 08:55 AM
NICE!!!! Way to plan!

Anyare
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I would like to be in it because I get stage fright. A small masq. sounds fun :D

Otaking97
08-22-2005, 04:46 PM
Then this is the place for you! Glad to have you on board and see you there. :bigtu:

Kaijugal
08-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Are you going to have a sign, or signs to tell the Non Anime costumers what's going on?

How will they find you or become involved if they don't read cosplay.com (which I imagine a majority of them don't)

Otaking97
08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Are you going to have a sign, or signs to tell the Non Anime costumers what's going on?

How will they find you or become involved if they don't read cosplay.com (which I imagine a majority of them don't)

Yes, we will have some signs and post up's. I already have a stand with a big ribbon on it for fun award picture taking so after I stake some territory I will likely hang a big bristol board sign on it stating the Fun Masq will take place here at 1 kinda thing with some sign up sheets. I will also have a little sign to put by you if possible at the regular masq sign up. As well as stick ups I will put on some of the pillers.

If anyone else has any suggestions throw them over.

Edgar Strife
08-23-2005, 08:31 PM
I just sumitted the form for the masquerade, let me know if you get it Otaking.

TribalButterfly
08-24-2005, 02:32 AM
SOOO looking forward!!!

Otaking97
08-29-2005, 04:16 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who was in my extra masqurade on Sat. Sorry that it did run 30 minutes late but I think that's normal. Never really seen a masq actually run on time! HAhahahahahha.

Either way it was a small one with 10 groups and I'm glad it went as well as it did. It would of been really interesting if there were 60 groups as some people thought there might of been. I'm not sure where I would of put everyone! Hopefully next year I will have an actual spot specifically for it. (That is if I'm allowed to do it again).

Anyways thanks again and see everyone around.

Konrad-Chan
08-29-2005, 04:29 PM
This sounds like an excellent idea.

If the idea is to create a less formal "fan-run" (and I use that word in the loosest sense) masquerade, I think a good idea would be to give away awards based on audience voting or reception.

By the way, would this hypothetical masquerade include skits or would it just be a "show-off-your-costume" kind of thing?

Edgar Strife
08-29-2005, 05:14 PM
I like to say congratulation for organizing the the Fan-Masquerade and it was fun to be in it. Can't wait till next time.

MaiSheri
08-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Same here - thanks Otaking for all the work and organization! I will definitely be there at AN06 for your next event!

Anyare
08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm really upset that i missed it ;.; I looked for you, but I couldnt find you becaus eit was SOOO crowded. ;.; I guess theres always next year..

mokulen22
08-29-2005, 08:19 PM
congratulation!! congratulation!! success!! I was in the front row (well some people were standing infront of me but I could see everything) GREAT JOB!! Hope it happens again next year! *clap clap*

P.S. it was 1/2 hour late?--good thing so was I getting there! HURRAY!

trixyloupwolf
08-29-2005, 08:36 PM
too bad i did find you either.....^-^'

well maybe another time if...i can go again....

Otaking97
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
P.S. it was 1/2 hour late?--good thing so was I getting there! HURRAY!

Yeah, some people were a bit late and I got the order a bit confused so it didn't actually start until 1:40. But oh well. There was quite a few people in the 'crowd' so it was all good.

Glad you liked it. I have some of the pictures taken up on my site now. Will have them all up by weeks end.

nuriko001
08-31-2005, 06:58 PM
is there any videos pics from this? i didn't know about this until ..now.haha..

Otaking97
08-31-2005, 07:05 PM
is there any videos pics from this? i didn't know about this until ..now.haha..

There are entry pics on my site at www.animegusto.com. I will upload award ones and others tonight.