PDA

View Full Version : Expo rules...

Kaijugal
08-07-2005, 09:34 AM
For those of you who keep asking the Expo rules are posted HERE (http://www.hobbystar.com/ComicConTorontoV2/files/masquerade.pdf)

***Would one of the mods be kind enough to sticky this? :)

piinku
08-07-2005, 09:02 PM
When it says "no real sword fighting" is allowed, does that mean that "real" kitanas are not allowed to be drawn? Two members of our group were planning on having real (unsharpened) kitanas (myself being one of them), as well as a seven foot tall prop sword made from styrofoam. Would it be against the rules for the members with the kitanas to (very carefully) battle the member with the prop sword? The skit is arranged so the two kitanas won't be drawn onstage at the same time, and we'll be sure to practice beforehand to ensure everyone's safety.

Would this be against the rules???

TribalButterfly
08-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Out of curiosity, why is it that there will not be any microphones avaliable?
I always figured if i ever did a skit in the masq, i'd wanna sing something, but if there are no mics i guess that would not be possible.

Can anyone please tell me why this is?
My guess is it's to prevent the spread of bactiria or illnesses, or to prevent damage to stage equipment, but that's just a guess. Is there any other, more critical reason???

And, if you DID want to sing with a mic, would that fall under #10 when you say to please tell the director in advance (or does that more refer to acrobatics and such?)

JustinCredible
08-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Out of curiosity, why is it that there will not be any microphones avaliable?
I always figured if i ever did a skit in the masq, i'd wanna sing something, but if there are no mics i guess that would not be possible.

Can anyone please tell me why this is?
My guess is it's to prevent the spread of bactiria or illnesses, or to prevent damage to stage equipment, but that's just a guess. Is there any other, more critical reason???

And, if you DID want to sing with a mic, would that fall under #10 when you say to please tell the director in advance (or does that more refer to acrobatics and such?)

Why?

Because People + Live Mic often lead to stupidity. Folks will probably give you the actual reason, but here's the solution.

They will play your audio. Pre-record it (make a backup too :wink:) and they will play it. Problem and situation resolved.

Kaijugal
08-08-2005, 02:38 AM
When it says "no real sword fighting" is allowed, does that mean that "real" kitanas are not allowed to be drawn? Two members of our group were planning on having real (unsharpened) kitanas (myself being one of them), as well as a seven foot tall prop sword made from styrofoam. Would it be against the rules for the members with the kitanas to (very carefully) battle the member with the prop sword? The skit is arranged so the two kitanas won't be drawn onstage at the same time, and we'll be sure to practice beforehand to ensure everyone's safety.

Would this be against the rules???

Not if you clear it in advance with the masquerade director..

Tribalbutterfly, there is a long tradition of having no microphones for masquerade contestants. There are many good reasons that I will elaborate on when I'm less tired. It has been tried by masquerade directors every once in a while usually with disasterous results. If you google the subject you'll see that with very rare exceptions, all major con's have a no micorphones policy.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=why+no+microphones+in+masquerades&meta=

TribalButterfly
08-08-2005, 07:24 AM
Why?

Because People + Live Mic often lead to stupidity. Folks will probably give you the actual reason, but here's the solution.

They will play your audio. Pre-record it (make a backup too :wink:) and they will play it. Problem and situation resolved.

I thought of that, but then you're not really singing. you're lipsyncing. And i don't do that. Where's the fun in that anyways?

Mekou
08-08-2005, 08:30 AM
>> I thought of that, but then you're not really singing. you're lipsyncing. And i don't do that. Where's the fun in that anyways?

It's no fun for the audience who can't hear you anyway, even with the mircophone. Pre-recording stuff isn't meant to take away the fun in a presentation, it's to make it better for the audience.

Singing is something best left for another event besides the masquerade. People wants to be beautiful costumes and good performacines and singing is something that wouldn't get appreciated because most of the time the person is usually just standing there. So unless you incorperated dancing or some other element that keeps YOU moving on stage, the audience WILL find it boring (People wouldn't go to concerts if the performers just stood there unmoving)

TribalButterfly
08-08-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not a dancer. trust me, nobody would ever want to see me dance! haha! it's hideous!

I'd wanna sing because there are a few characters who I wanted to cosplay as who sing. It's part of the character's personality.
Like for example, My Jem costume. Jem sings.
Or I was thinking about Lunar (i love that song from the trailor. it's what really inspiered me to make a Lunar costume in the first place.)

Its not like i'd want to go up on stage in a Lust costume, and start belting out some britney :p (shoot me if i ever do! *gack* Haha!)

Mekou
08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
>> I'm not a dancer. trust me, nobody would ever want to see me dance! haha! it's hideous!

Lol I'm not a dancer either. XD But there are other things you can do to make your performance more interesting.

>> I'd wanna sing because there are a few characters who I wanted to cosplay as who sing. It's part of the character's personality.
Like for example, My Jem costume. Jem sings.
Or I was thinking about Lunar (i love that song from the trailor. it's what really inspiered me to make a Lunar costume in the first place.)

It's bes to assume that at least 50% of the audience won't even know who you are. So those people won't view singing as being in character.

In short, there isn't anything wrong with singing so long as you're doing something more than just standing there. But I'm afraid that you'll have to get used to lipsyncing because the rules are the rules and there can't be any exceptions.

Vicky
08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
SINCE I'VE BEEN ATTENDING CONS, THERE HAS NEVER BEEN USE OF MICS AND I HOPE TO GOD THERE NEVER WILL BE.
that is all.

Kia
08-08-2005, 03:05 PM
I'd wanna sing because there are a few characters who I wanted to cosplay as who sing. It's part of the character's personality.

My dear, no offence, but that's called Karaoke. After hours at the Strathcona there's All Night Anime. Inbetween anime episodes they have a karaoke contest. Your enthusiasm to sing in character would be much more suited there.

Besides, like others have mentioned, the masquerade is essentially a COSTUME competition, and even though singing could be argued as being part of the presentation of your costume, a skit like that is more about wanting others to hear you sing. What's wrong with just putting on the original version of your song, doing a little dance, or a well rehearsed walk on? At least that way you can guarentee (well, as much as possible anyway ^_^) that it will sound loud and clear and will give off the best impressions to both the audience and the judges. I've seen a good number of people go on stage and try to sing, and its never turned out as well as the contestant envisioned it would be.

Really, I'm not trying put you down, but there are reasons for things being the way they are. I can guarentee you that if we put a microphone on stage during the masq it would run overtime (because some people just looooooove to hear themselves speak and we'd never be able to get them offstage) and both the audience and the judges would remember the stupid people far more than the entries who tried hard and were smart enough to leave the mic alone.

Just my two cents. ^_^

TribalButterfly
08-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Hmm.. Whatever the reasons are, i'm sure Kaijugal knows best.

Tartrazine
08-09-2005, 01:21 AM
I thought of that, but then you're not really singing. you're lipsyncing. And i don't do that. Where's the fun in that anyways?
Singing is something best left for another event besides the masquerade.

I agree. It's cool when someone cosplays as the appropriate character for the song he's singing at a karaoke, but costumed karaoke usually makes for a bad skit in a masquerade... and if you don't have a microphone, it always makes for a bad skit.

So unless you incorperated dancing or some other element that keeps YOU moving on stage, the audience WILL find it boring

Of course, as anyone who watched the masquerade at Anime North 2000 (or Katsucon 2005) knows, a good "other element" (if you're going for comedy) is for your character to be shot in the head (or otherwise humorously interrupted) after beginning to sing an irritating song. Poking fun at yourself = RATINGS. The audience wouldn't have to be familiar with Full Moon wo Sagashite (or even realize that they're sitting in the theatre where the Canadian version of American Idol is taped, for that matter) to be amused by Simon Cowell popping out and cutting Mitsuki off mid-song to tell her that her singing is so bad that she must have throat cancer, LOL.

TribalButterfly
08-09-2005, 07:44 AM
HAHA! HEY! THAT"S A PRETTY GOOD IDEA FOR A SKIT!!!

I had a Meroko costume at last year's CN, but i've got all new costumes for this years - none of which i could sing with even if i WANTED to (they're not singing bassed characters. The singing idea was for future cosplays i had in mind)

BUT, i am pleased to say that i was resently introduced to something called Jrock/Jpop contest - which i had no idea existed before!
I'll totally sign up for this for next year's AN - but, just one question, how exactly do i find the Karaoke versions of the songs i wanna do??
I've looked on Kazza and websites, but haven't been successful.
Does anybody have any ideas where i can find the Karaoke versions of:

My Sweet Heart - Tokyo Mew Mew (Opening Theme)
I Love You - Full Moon Wo Sagashite (Opening Theme)
Kanashimi Wo Yasashisa Ni - Naruto (3rd Opening Theme)
(sorry i dont know the name of this one) - Full Metal Alchemist (Opening Theme)
Al No Senshi - Sailor Moon

These are just a handful of the songs i know (and think are fun to belt out! haha!)

BotMan
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
well if you go to http://gendou.com/ you can find the FMA theme... but cant find the rest on it XD sorry! *run and hides* err oh yea! and i think the opening is ready steady go? o.o!!! *hides again from the shyness*

TribalButterfly
08-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Thanks a lot! that's awesome!

But Ready Steady Go actually isn't the one that i'm looking for. :(

its the other one - the one that goes:

kimi no te de kirisaite tooi hi no kioku wo
kanashimi no iki no ne wo tometekure yo
saa ai ni kogareta mune wo tsuranuke

asu ga kuru hazu no sora wo mite
mayou bakari no kokoro moteamashiteru
katawara no tori ga habataita
doko ka hikari wo mitsukerareta no ka na

naa omae no se ni ore mo nosetekurenai ka
soshite ichiban takai toko de
okizari ni shite yasashisa kara toozakete

kimi no te de kirisaite tooi hi no kioku wo
kanashimi no iki no ne wo tometekure yo
saa Ai ni kogareta mune wo tsuranuke

I think it's called Melissa but im not sure :p

BotMan
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
there a Melissa..there..but no K vers.. of it on that site @>2;;;; hmm..i dont know..i think there a program where you can take out the singer voice..and just kept the background music and stuff @.@!!! *dont remember*

hmm yeaa XD

whoops ummmm then!! soo umm how long should the songs be? 1 mins? or 50 sec? and then do a lil dance right? but what happen if the pre-recorded die out when you start to lipsync? ;x

Oselle
08-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Guys, I really like that you are helping each other out, but this does NOT belong in a thread on the CN EXPO RULES!

Please, start an appropriate thread, or better yet, use PM's for communication like this. Thanks. :)

archangeli
08-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Interesting how this thread got hijacked....

Anyhow, I have a question.

On Hobbystar's website it says that only attendees holding an Anime or Deluxe pass will be admitted to the Masquerade. I understand this, since the Masquerade is their most popular attraction and they want to have crowd control, maximum profits and all that jazz....

Here's the question: Do you need to hold an Anime (one-day or weekend) or Deluxe pass in order to ENTER the Masquerade?

With the new categories in place, it seems like they are trying to encourage attendees of all the separate conventions to participate in the masquerade. Or must your pass be related to the category that you plan to enter in?
Ex. I have a ComicCon pass, but I plan to enter in the Masquerade in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer group (horror/ TV/ literary source ... multiple categories possible). Is that permitted?

gothicpanda
08-12-2005, 12:57 PM
Here's the question: Do you need to hold an Anime (one-day or weekend) or Deluxe pass in order to ENTER the Masquerade?

With the new categories in place, it seems like they are trying to encourage attendees of all the separate conventions to participate in the masquerade. Or must your pass be related to the category that you plan to enter in?
Ex. I have a ComicCon pass, but I plan to enter in the Masquerade in a Buffy the Vampire Slayer group (horror/ TV/ literary source ... multiple categories possible). Is that permitted?

No you don't. I asked that same thing and no you can be from anwywhere as long as you get registered in time before all the spots are gone.

So good luck everybody. I'm probably not going in becasue I won't get Gir done in time. boo hoo! :waaaah:

Oh I mean in the masq. I'm going to maybe just help out instead. Bye bye!

Mage
08-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Again on the pass issue...

As usual, I'm going to be working in the dealer room this con. Since there were problems with this last year, I just have to ask: With a dealer's pass, can I *watch* the masquerade?

gothicpanda
08-12-2005, 02:07 PM

As usual, I'm going to be working in the dealer room this con. Since there were problems with this last year, I just have to ask: With a dealer's pass, can I *watch* the masquerade?

Um. I think you need to get a wristband this year I heard. Check with the masq peeps! :skidude2:

TribalButterfly
08-12-2005, 11:06 PM

You had the same problem as me last year hu?
They wouldn't let you in to watch the masq with an Exibitor's badge?

yup?
Same here.
I was the Ichigo sitting in the hallway, waiting for Jono to finish his skit, so we could all go home - of course his skit just had to be one of the very last ones :p That's what i get for letting him drive! hahaha!

Did get to meet some realy nice people sitting there though! :)

archangeli
08-13-2005, 11:54 AM

I was reading the Hobbystar site under the list of events, and it said that only attendees holding either an ANIME or DELUXE pass would be permitted to watch the masquerade.

neekabe
08-13-2005, 02:12 PM

THe Rules pdf seems to say that you need an Anime or Delux in order to enter the masq. Considering later on they mention admission rules, I'd say the answer to that would be 'yes' which is mildly disappointing seeing as there are no Anime one day passes, and I can't justify paying weekend prices for one day at a con, no matter how much I'd like to enter the masq :p

Oh well, it does work to limit the number of people who are eligable to register for the masq, and means that I won't be stressing about getting presentation put together out :rolleyes:

Kaijugal
08-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Um. I think you need to get a wristband this year I heard. Check with the masq peeps! :skidude2:

Close. :)

Hobbystar is instituting some kind of ticket system. The tickets are free, but you have to pick them up at the Masquerade Reg desk. 1 ticket per person so don't count on your friends getting them for you.

This is only for people WATCHING the masquerade.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers!

P.S. Masquerade Peeps???

http://images.usatoday.com/tech/_photos/2004/04-13-peeps-main.jpg