PDA

View Full Version : What's Ani-Magic like?

ZiggyB
07-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Hi everyone. Sorry about the lame question, but I've only recently been going to anime cons, Fanime and of course AX. I was wondering what Ani-Magic is like. I live in the bay area and would have to drive 8 hours to get there.
I'm willing to do it, any ol' excuse to go somewhere in costume. :)
But I'm just wondering what ani-magic is like compared to say fanime or ax. Thanks everyone! :)

peacecraft
07-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Ani-Magic is utterly different. Mostly because of the size. Anim-Magic has about 1000 atendees vs. the more than 10,000 that go to a con like AX. Honestly, I actually preffer a lot of things about Ani-Magic. Its much more fan driven than AX, which I feel is a much more industry driven con. Despite having fewer people, I feel like I met more people at Ani-Magic, and everything was just more relaxed and laid back. Oh, and EVERYONE gets to go to the masquerade. I don't think there were any events that required tickets or anything last year.

I don't know if that's your thing, but I'm certainly going back this year.

soshi
07-23-2002, 12:16 AM
very fun, very small. no lines, no denied admittence to anything, no psychotic security chasing you around with red electrical tape for your cheesy fake weapons...

Miaka No Baka
07-23-2002, 02:52 AM
well they did put blue painters tape on those weapons that looked semi real but hey as long as they saw that blue strip u were ok. I know they were doing this by registration/dealers room. But ani-magic is a con where u go to relax and actually talk a long time with those friends u just keep seeing at the other cons but can only squeeze in a "hey nice to see ya!" before heading off to wherever it is u have to be.

Miaka no Baka

ZiggyB
07-23-2002, 05:31 PM
Hmmm, this is good to hear. I would have felt better if anyone complained about AM for any reason. I always feel a little wary when there's only compliments. :)

Well it's moot now since me and my friend have registered with the hotel and are going anyway. :>

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Miaka No Baka
07-23-2002, 11:16 PM
well now if u really want complaints heh the only one i could think of is if u are interested in entering the window decorating contest u cant unless you're in the one story only building from what i heard. ^_^; but it's a great con i think u will have fun and make lots of new cosplay friends. Also keep in mind it's in the middle of a desert so there's not a whole lot to see on the drive down. nothing but scrub bush and sandy dirt for a long time ^_^;

Miaka no Baka

Tenshi
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
I've never been to Ani-Magic either, but I've heard good things about their cosplay contest. Would anyone like to give me details on that? I'm thinking about entering (my first time to do this O_O).

Miaka No Baka
07-24-2002, 12:34 PM
ah the masquerade is fun. I entered it last year. the stage is very small. It's one of those portable stages it's right by one of the ends of the pool but there's seats between the pool and stage so dont worry if u happen to fall u wont be landing in the pool ^_^; but there is no special lighting at the stage area due to it being a portable stage they have those gas generated bright lights like u see on the highway at night when they do construction work to light the area. So that's basically how the lighting situation goes. And belive me if they didnt have those extra lights u would not be able to see that well. It does get kinda chilly I remember being cold during and after cause i was wearing a thin costume. It was a skirt that was down to my knees and the shirt was very thin and was short sleeved and i had dress sandles on and i didnt wear tights or anythign so i was pretty cold. U might want to keep that in mind for your costume. As for time limits i think this year its going to be 1 minute if u are alone and 2 mins if u are in a group. The rules and such havent been set in stone yet but u will have to periodically check back with the ani-magic webpage.

Miaka no Baka

Adella
07-24-2002, 07:26 PM
I liked Animagic last year. The only thing I had to complain about was the Evangelion "sex" remix that was totally inappropriate. Perhaps something like that could have been shown if the audience was guaranteed a mature one but there WERE younger people there.

as for the rest of it.. I loved Animagic. It was VERY VERY fun. I loved sitting on the swing and watching people go by.

I won't be going to animagic this here however.. I am turning 21. And my mother is taking Admin and myself on a cruise with her and her boyfriend.

Michi
07-24-2002, 08:06 PM
Twinkle! If you manage to go somehow, you can stay with me. ^^

Aww.... that's too bad you aren't going, Aeris. o.o (btw, I added you to LJ *pokes*)

FlameSniperRei
08-12-2002, 07:24 PM
AM is really fun! :) To me it's like a big cosplay partay!

L to the 3rd
08-13-2002, 05:48 AM
ack.. you aren't coming, Adella? :I

Aoshi Shinomori
08-13-2002, 03:49 PM
aww well i hope u have fun on the cruise aeris. well last animagic was my first and I met alot of people. Its a long drive, but its worth it. The only bad thing is that there is a pool where the masquerade is at and im very tempted to just push someone in it *smiles evily*

Ina
08-13-2002, 04:46 PM
heh, i hope that somebody pulls you in with them *grins* wouldn't that be interesting?

Aoshi Shinomori
08-13-2002, 05:08 PM
heh nah i have quick ninja reflexes.. and besides those girls couldnt get me near the pool heh

Okitasan
08-18-2002, 09:18 PM
hmmm I hope I can get a ride there with my friend -.-

pookie-kun
08-18-2002, 09:29 PM
I wanna go to this 'con.. but its around the same time I'm going to japan, and my funds wouldnt cut it flying cross country like that and going to japan >.< ... unless i postponed japan til march like im thinking about anyways, just cuz i havent planned anything for it yet O.o

It sounds a lot like Animazement - a smallish east coast con here in north carolina. Smallish attendance, laid back. I like that kinda con better than a con like Otakon. I felt so .. i dunno. Wierd at otakon, cause it was so huge :> didnt like the atmosphere as much I suppose.

L to the 3rd
08-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Let's push Aoshi in the pool! lol! XD

All Final Fantasy X cosplayers better watch out cuz
i want to test to see if your costumes are
water proof! XD j/k.

ZiggyB
08-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Good thing I'm cosplaying FF VIII, I guess it's good that I don't have the latest and greatest. ;)

Miaka No Baka
08-22-2002, 02:54 AM
Whatever u do, dont push me in the pool as yuna. I'd probably kill me and anyone else in the pool with the lights on my skirt lol. That wouldn't be fun... no it wouldnt... I always thought it'd be cool to see some random blitzball players playing in the pool. I saw those pics from AX of the wakka in the pool. There'd be a need for a waterproof tidus... any takers?

Miaka no Baka

Aoshi Shinomori
08-22-2002, 03:49 AM
hey my trenchcoat or butt bows would be all wet.. hmm .. does Kingdom Hearts Tidus count? My costume is sorta waterproof i guess heh

L to the 3rd
08-24-2002, 05:36 AM
LOL! just how much waterproof is your butt bows? :thumbsup:

Aoshi Shinomori
08-24-2002, 02:46 PM
I dont think they will be waterproof.. i think if i fell in with butt bow Aoshi.. my costume would be very.. see thruish.. :o

Doremi Chan
09-14-2002, 08:15 PM
Ani-Magic is the con that you can actually go to all the panels you want without walking a mile! ^_^ The dealers room is close to most rooms.

The drive up there is just so pretty! I like driving there in the morning to look at the pretty scenery!

But, if you are looking for a con to relax at, then Ani-Magic is the con for you!:D

Kamui Motoaki
09-15-2002, 12:16 AM
pool?!?!
I swim in my titus all the time at my neighborhood pool. . .
but then they told me i couldn't wear the hood because it my choke me underwater. .lol ^_^

Michi
09-15-2002, 12:33 AM
There's a pool right SMACK in the middle of Animagic. It's awesome.

Dragoon Knight
09-15-2002, 03:37 AM
O.o I'm NOT wearing my Tidus in the pool....lol And its too cold anyways. I only jumped into it last year cause Scott McNeil and I did a dare ...lol

Aoshi Shinomori
09-15-2002, 03:40 AM
lol were u Tidus when u jumped in?

Famira Damaris
09-15-2002, 10:08 AM
Ani-Magic is pretty small, but it's fun. It feels a lot closer than the larger conventions (in my opinion) and you don't get burned out at the end of the day (but maybe that was just me being a wuss. :P). Also, no lines for the Dealer's Hall; but they're not selling as much as larger cons.

Less wandering around and there's a 7-11 within two minutes of walking distances of the Antelope Valley Inn. *grins*

Dragoon Knight
09-19-2002, 01:02 AM
its just fun, a small con yes, but lots of fun ^^

Kitty
09-19-2002, 01:16 AM
IT tates like Menshi KRACK ! And feels Squishey and soft like Krispy Kreme ahhhhhhh.......AM is fun!

Dragoon Knight
09-19-2002, 01:24 AM
hehehe..menchi......oww oww owowow! LOL MMMmmmm..menchi flavor =D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~` O.o

Kitty
09-19-2002, 01:27 AM
I cant wait to sing that song^_^.

Dragoon Knight
09-19-2002, 01:30 AM
I can't wait either ^^ andi want to see that dance you told me about too...hopefully soon *wink wink*

aznaphrodite
09-25-2002, 10:31 PM
I'm excited about Ani-Magic also because it's my first one and everyone always says how easy it is to meet new people. I've been to two AX and Comic Con once and haven't met other cosplayers. :(

I really want to meet other cosplayers since I don't know any and I just recently started cosplaying. Any tips on how to meet new people at Ani-Magic?

Aoshi Shinomori
09-26-2002, 02:38 AM
well usually u meet cosplayers that are dressed as characters from your favorite anime series.. or u can go up and say hi and stuff like that.. usually cosplayers are very friendly. or u can go to gatherings and just say hi and bring up conversation stuff.. thats how i met alot of kenshin cosplayers.. well actually i was picking on kenshin cosplayers.. thats how i met them.. heh

L to the 3rd
09-26-2002, 02:38 AM
lesee who's gonna pic on who

Dragoon Knight
09-26-2002, 03:21 AM
Chrissy-

*poke poke poke poke poke poke....hehe Battousai poke poke poke poke poke poke* ..lol ^^;;

*Enishi runs off* >D

L to the 3rd
09-26-2002, 03:30 AM
*whaps wayne w/ sword* dont' make
me poke u with this XD

Kitty
09-26-2002, 04:09 AM
WATCH OUT! She just might throw a big Radish at you Wayne!

Dragoon Knight
09-26-2002, 04:18 AM
O.o *Enishi screams like Johhny Bravo* AHHH ......O.o ...lol ^^ we'll see who pokes who at AM.....battousai...you'll get Jinchuu yet