PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best place to get costume materials?

Divine_Serpent
01-26-2003, 01:20 PM
I'm having trouble looking for a place that doesn't price their fabrics insanely/has enough selections. Old clothes? I don't have much!
PLZ help, *luv it if u could find me a place in Toronto-Canada

Xx Lulu xX
01-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Divine_Serpent
I'm having trouble looking for a place that doesn't price their fabrics insanely/has enough selections. Old clothes? I don't have much!
PLZ help, *luv it if u could find me a place in Toronto-Canada

Well i dont know about Canada, but try finding a ragshop, or joanns, go to their websites, I think they should have store locate things on them

orochiyamazaki
01-30-2003, 04:37 PM
If you don't mind making a bigger initial investment, after a costume or two, you start saving a fortune if you buy from a bulk importer and selling remnants you aren't planning on using in the future. Though, you being in Canada, this might become more difficult since you pay such outragous duties on imports. For this, you might need a contact in the U.S. to help out.

Our Canadian rep advises calling the China Chamber of International Commerce (CCOIC) in Canada for more info about importing, or finding an importer that sells direct to the general consumer.

kitty_neko
01-30-2003, 05:09 PM
ive got no clue whats in canada, but i always hit jo-annes and goodwill first, since i can usually find what im looking for there and at good prices... other than that, if you're looking for specific things, you might even wanna check out ebay, cuz you never know, right? ^_^

larry_santello
01-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Bigger initial investment = $500 - $5,000 US.

Dude, I don't think most amateur cosplayers have that kind of capital. And I know the various associations are forcing most North American importers to stop selling to the general public, though most time you just have to pay $20-$100 in dues to become a member.

I dunno if you got the memo yet, but sometime last night, several Egyptian fabric manufacturers decided to stop taking orders from North America, so Vantage US and Canada may have to up their prices as most of the burden has been picked up by their smaller and more costly Scottish and Turkish suppliers. I hope that's just an isolated incident. Otherwise, if more suppliers pull the plug, North American supplies are going to go up in cost in general.

KittyCanuck
01-31-2003, 12:03 PM
If you find a really good one in Toronto, let me know! ^_~

I'm assuming you tried the obvious ones like Fabric Land?

Have you tried a Value Village? Sometimes they have uncut fabric, though usually it's gently-used manufactured items. But you still might want to take a peek, I made a nice Princess Toadstool skirt for Hallowe'en out of a pink silk bedsheet I bought there for less than 10 dollars (for the whole sheet set). It really depends on your needs. It's easier to find fabric for accents or smaller pieces, rather than fabric for a whole costume, since most fabric they sell is already in curtain or sheet or <something else> form.
They also have racks upon racks of cheap old clothes, since you said you don't have much old clothes of your own.

Since I need to know myself, I'll poke around in the yellow pages for fabric stores (disclaimer: I have never been to any of the following places, so I don't know how good their prices really are):

Fabric Factory Outlet:
70 MartinRoss (north of Finch just off Dufferin)
416-661-7839

Designer Fabric Outlet
1360 Queen St. (west of Dufferin)
416-531-9697

Fabric Clearance Warehouses
4884 Dufferin St (Unit 6)
416-665-4647
open 9-6 Mon-Sat

Tessuti Venezia
1305 St Clair (west of Dufferin)
416-654-8331

I guess Dufferin is a major street for fabric sales ^_~

costume, dressmaker and tailoring supplies:
Macdonald Faber Ltd.
952 Queen St W
Toronto, ON
M6J 1G8
Phone: (416) 534-3940
Fax: (416) 534-4187

Hope some of these help you! And if you do visit any and they turn out to be good, please let me know! (I have to take the bus everywhere, so it gets expensive to go around to a lot of places just to see if they are any good at all :p)

Koumori
01-31-2003, 12:21 PM
What kind of costume materials specifically are you looking for? Fabrics can range from flimsy synthetics all the way up to felted wools and hand-beaded organzas, at prices anywhere from $1.00-$50.00+ a yard. If you're looking for the basic cosplay synthetics (spandexes, crepes, bengalines) plus a good selection of trims, you could try http://www.costumersquarterly.com. In addition, http://www.fabric.com has a good selection at low prices, though not always in the colors you want, and I've had nothing but good experiences ordering from them.

orochiyamazaki
01-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Lars - The incident with Egypt was an isolated event. That particular supplier went off on a big anti-American kick, but it's really only affecting Vantage and maybe Vitronic. It's cool that they have the conviction to take such drastic action, but I wonder how they'll stay in business. Vantage made up, like, 95% of their business...

http://store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles (aka Fabric.com) is pretty nice, I agree. If your patient, you can usually get what you want at a good price in small quantities (other places require you to get 10 yards or an entire bolt at a time). Considering their low prices, it might still be affordable to import to Canada.