PDA

View Full Version : wonky light meter

Natty Dread
08-16-2005, 08:13 AM
i was wondering if anyone could help me.....
my camera (my uncles actually) is an old as sin nikon FG (yhats all it says on the thing anyway) it is a 35 mm camera, and is in good working order, exept for the electronic light meter inside. it dosnt matter if i point it out a bright window or into a dark corner, the reading always stays the same. i recently changed the battery, so that cant be the problem. any suggestions?

TomodachiFriend
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
It's probably not something you or most people could fix. If we were 10 or even 5 years back, I'd tell you to get it repaired. But with digital taking over, you can get a decent modern 35mm SLR for the same price as repairing an old camera. Check eBay or the classifieds.

You could also learn the basics of exposure and go with your instinct. Do a search for the sunny 16 rule or the zone system.

tfcreate
08-16-2005, 07:00 PM
It's probably not something you or most people could fix. If we were 10 or even 5 years back, I'd tell you to get it repaired. But with digital taking over, you can get a decent modern 35mm SLR for the same price as repairing an old camera. Check eBay or the classifieds.

You could also learn the basics of exposure and go with your instinct. Do a search for the sunny 16 rule or the zone system.

Even with the new systems, I never hit the field without an old fashioned light meter. If you want to keep using this camera, I'd suggest a hand held light meter.
TFC

Natty Dread
08-16-2005, 08:53 PM
wher can i get one though, i dont have much money, whats the cheapest i can get? ill even take secondhand

tfcreate
08-16-2005, 10:33 PM
wher can i get one though, i dont have much money, whats the cheapest i can get? ill even take secondhand

I've seen good ones on ebay for as little as USD20.00.
TFC

Natty Dread
08-17-2005, 02:41 AM
grrr i cant order stuff from ebay.... no credit card....

tfcreate
08-20-2005, 12:14 AM
grrr i cant order stuff from ebay.... no credit card....

Most sellers will take a cheque or international money order. Just let them know how you intend to pay.

TFC

Natty Dread
08-20-2005, 06:20 AM
oh! thanks!