PDA

View Full Version : new to AUSA

xChinaDollx
08-17-2005, 10:17 AM
So anyways, i was just wondering, whats there to do at AUSA? I've never been there before and i'm just wondering what else is there to do instead of just walking around and taking photos?

AgentOS
08-17-2005, 11:29 AM
There honestly is not too much to do. They have a gameroom that is pretty decent usually in the bar area, a big masquerade of course, some panels, a movie room, video rooms, etc. When I went last year I found most stuff to be lacking. The concert is probably the main attraction. Last year was camino who some people really like. I was not very impressed but this year is MOVE. I am only going friday night-sat to see them and book out midnight saturday. It is a rather small convention. I also recommend a swimsuit since the pool is fairly large.

bag0k
08-17-2005, 01:24 PM
I really like Anime USA because it's so small. There are less lines, crowds, and the people are so very friendley! It's got nothing special going for it, so I think of it as being a newbie con. It was my first convention and did a very good job doing just that. The game room last year was really fun. It was where I got my first taste of Katamari Damacy, and this year they'll have not one, but two DDR arcade mahcines! :D
I like the dealer's room. Katsucon's was bigger and I have yet to see Otakon's, but I thought at Katsucon that the content really was repeated over and over. The dealer's room is a bit small, but has all your basic con-things. Wall scrolls, plushies, poky and ramune, bags, figurines, (I don't remember seeing any yaoi doujinshi like at Katsucon, but that doesn't concern me... O_o)

To sum it up, it's not a big con, it's a nice, cozy little con. I don't think it's worth a road trip, though. (One of the main reasons I like it is it's only 20 minutes from my house...) But if you're in the area, I highly reccomend you check it out.

Koneko_Asami
08-17-2005, 06:32 PM
I loved AUSA. It was the very first con I went to (in 2003) and this'll be my second time going. (we couldn't make it last year >.<). I live in NJ, so, even though its a nice small con, I'm attatched to it. Which is why my friends and I are willing to spend 4 hours in a car to go XDD. I really like it, like bag0k said, because it's small. It's a nice cozy atmosphere, and I had a lot of fun the first time I went...can't wait for this time, either. n_n.

Miroku205
08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah im a newbie Cosplayer, this is my first con, and my friend is coming with me it's gonna be about 8 Hrs for me since i live in the upstate of South Carolina, i have a other friend who has been to a lot of cons in this day, and he said for a newbie cosplayer to go to AUSA so me and my friend are going to it later this year.

quadrain61
08-24-2005, 11:04 PM
If I go, it'll be my first formal Anime USA. Last year I only stayed 5 hours.

From what I saw last year, not much. Much like a lot of smaller cons, MAKE FUN!

Star_Angel
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
AUSA is a smaller con, but they have the perks of a larger con, a band plays, they have awesome guest, nice dealers room (and it improves every year i think). Its not as busy as otakon but its larger then Anime Mid-Atlantic (if that helps at all)

Himemiya
08-26-2005, 03:10 PM
What were the numbers from last year? About how many people?

Flicker
08-26-2005, 09:51 PM
It's true that there will be times where there isn't a panel you want to go to or an anime you want to see. There is, of course, the manga library if you are interested in that sort of thing. The game room is also another option, but I liked the manga library more since there weren't many people there and it was a nice place to just sit back and read.

Other than that, it's standard con stuff. AMVs, anime showings, panels, gameroom, etc., just not so many at one time.

Darxim
09-01-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm not really sure what AgentOS expects from an anime convention.

We have the masquerade contest, some video rooms, an AMV room, panels, workshops, video game room (which will be in the bar area, although last year was the first time, so I'm not sure why AgentOS said "usually"), table-top gaming, tournaments for both kinds of gaming, musical concert (this year by Move), a manga library, karaoke, sumo suit wrestling, art show and auction, artist alley, dealers room, autograph session, dance, game shows, and great deals of social interaction. Basically, everything any other convention has and then some.

I usually don't go to any convention-organized events at anime conventions. I might spend a couple minutes at the concert, or go to a panel with some friends, and I sometimes check out the art show, but most of the time I spend socializing. In fact, I usually just go to the art show to socialize with whoever's there (see a cute girl by herself, make a comment to her about some random piece of art, wander off a bit... usually works). A good convention to me is one where, at 1:00am Friday night, I am hanging out with people I didn't know previous to that weekend. Anime USA has a pretty busy schedule, but I find that the overly social environment allows me to accomplish this regardless.

But, if you do go for convention activities, Anime USA is a pretty good con to go to. There's also a good bit of non-convention activities, but they're not in the schedule.

Darxim
09-01-2005, 06:07 PM
Last year's numbers were over 2300 attendees (number does not include staff, dealers, guests, etc).

This year we are expecting over 3000 attendees.

JonnyStarwind
09-05-2005, 02:56 PM
This will be my first Anime USA as well

adrawer4ever
10-24-2005, 10:16 AM
05' will be my first AUSA...

~X3Rikku
10-24-2005, 09:04 PM
my first aUSA aswellllll!! :O its about 2 hrs from me.

Bagu
10-24-2005, 10:32 PM
This will be my first time to AUSA. I just got back from a hotel con (AWA in Atlanta) not too long ago so I'm going to compare. I'm a little bummed that Larissa Wolcott bailed, but I'm sure Caitlin Glass will be a good substitute.
Heh...do I really want to see Greg Ayres for the upteenth time? ;)

SkippingSith
10-26-2005, 04:24 PM
This will be my...fifth AUSA? Something like that. I love it. I keep coming back. I even dropped Katsucon from my con repertoire, despite it being a con I usually go to cause it was the first one I ever attended, simply because AUSA IS BETTER. More fun, more personal, and I love the staff and the attendees are always nice. It's not a "teenage 'go cause it's cool and we can act like jerks cause it's a con and it's a giant party'" convention. It's fun, laid-back, and an all around good time. As far as traveling time goes, for the second time I'll have to go from Salisbury, MD, to Rileyville, WV, to Tysons Corner, VA. And I usually just end up staying one day cause I'm a cheapo when it comes to getting a hotel room. But it's so worth it.

natsukoarts
10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
this is my first AUSA, only been to Anime Expo and Comic-con, so I still new to the whole cosplay thing... by the way -- where is Greg Ayres going to be, is it on the schedule somewhere...

GreatSG
10-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Havn't posted in a while but I shall be at AUSA and it's my first time to this con as well, i'm hoping it'll be a lot of fun.
Costume wise I know for a fact i'll be doing a Psycho le Cemu costume and maybe one of the Black Gema Gema Gang from Digi Charat. And of course i'll be bringing Tom Servo along as always. And i'm sure AUSA will be quite fun, especially since 4Chan's holding a panel. XD

Mew_Pudding
11-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Its my first too! But I've been to lotsa cons and they are ALWAYS fun. x3 So i figure this must be too!

Juuchan17
11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Wow . . . there's a lots of first-time Anime USAers . . . . I'm one of them too!

I've only been to AMA for the past four years, and I'm starting to branch out to bigger and other local cons (in VA).

Hope to see you guys there! :)

Tess
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Might as well join the flood. ^__^; I'm also a first-timer, and a bit nervous about attending the con on my own. [Usually have Aine-chan with me, but she has to stay at home that weekend.] I'm planning on bringing Summoner Yuna, Corpse Bride, and Wedding Yuna. I hope to keep myself busy with photoshoots and anime viewing, so that my shyness isn't too noticeable.

@-->--- Tess

xinababo
11-03-2005, 12:49 PM
i think the overall setting for anime usa is very well put-together and i love the fact that it is smaller than most other conventions. the artist alley is also very nice and so is the dealer's room. it's by far my most favorite convention because everyone is friendly and gets along :3

SEE YOU ALL THIS MONTH :D

Valgaav_Xellos
11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Yup yup I'll be a newbie too. Along with like, 3 other friends. XD

The main events I was looking forward to was A) the masqurade (well duh!) and B) the rave (though idk if i can do this one since it's supposed to start at 11:30 and i have to be home by midnight) ... dumb parents ;-;

nachtinis
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Ive been to a few cons and i would have to say that the AMV at Anime USA is quite entertaining and seemingly a step above AMV events elsewhere.