PDA

View Full Version : A Kata for masq?

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-26-2003, 09:47 PM
I'm some day gonna do a kata for a skit too the Cardcaptors english theme song dressed as Meilin [and maybe a Li whenever i get it together!] Is that ok? A kata, for those who don't know, is usually a series of martial arts moves to some music [a musical kata] My dad teaches karate and will be helping, but i got some dance mixed in sorta. So, would it be cool? ALSO [since i'm on the sub of CardCaptors] I was gonna make run out in the Sakura's cheer uniform and get the crowd pumped then do a simple dance. Is that cool too? Just brainstorming here!

Chosuke
01-27-2003, 08:54 AM
I think , as a student of various Martial arts myself , That doing a Musical Kata onstage instead of a skit would be a great idea.
Especially as a character who as well could perform one.

I was thinking of doing about 2 minutes of the first set of Tai Chi onstage as Cho Hakkai but went against it because of the fact alot would probably prefer an Art like Karate rather then the slower pace of Tai Chi.

Hikaruchan
01-27-2003, 11:01 AM
I think it would be good as long as it was kept short. I saw a girl do a fan dance at Anime Central couple of years ago. It was interesting for the first minute, but was bored by the end of it. So, if you do it try to time it so it doesn't drag out.

officer_fujita
01-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Hikaruchan
I think it would be good as long as it was kept short.

Yup. 3 minutes at most

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-27-2003, 10:24 PM
The theme song is mucho short! I'd rather do Just Communication from Gundam Wing, but Meilin would just be PERFECT for a kata! Believe me...it want be long...to shy to stay on stage long...

JoeBoeing
01-28-2003, 11:29 AM
Greetings,

If I ever get back into good physical condition I was thinking about doing some kata on stage myself. I'm a little rusty on my memory as I earned my Blackbelt in Kenpo in December of 1998 but I think that would be a great kata to do.

I could always throw one together before a few months before the con though as well.

I was thinking of cos-playing Sie Kensou from KOF if/when I do this.

FRom,
Joe

Ranma Saotome
01-28-2003, 12:33 PM
That's a good idea, but I've heard that some cons won't allow that. But I plan on doing that this year at a con.

Chosuke
01-29-2003, 08:50 AM
They won't allow it?

JoeBoeing
01-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Greetings Chobrat and all,

Cons are afraid that you'll try a flip or wild spin kicks and if you mess up and hurt yourself the con can get sued because they let you do that.

I'm sure that you have a run through so the con can okay the skit you do in most cases.

At least I think that is part of the reason why they don't allow Kata skits.

FRom,
Joe

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-29-2003, 10:06 PM
Hmm...i don't know if AZ will allow it or not? I better check cause i do have some pretty wild spins and a couple of flips.....

Hikaruchan
01-29-2003, 10:16 PM
I definitely don't think flips would be allowed. Stages are usually sectional, and they can start seperating if put under too much stress - plus if you missed a flip fall could be bad. At ACEN several years ago, one guy landed very badly during skit and he should count himself extremely lucky didn't hurt himself with that stunt.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Would a regular cartwheel be considered wild?

Hikaruchan
01-29-2003, 10:23 PM
Any sort of tumbling is usually frowned upon, as head is placed at awkward angles and a stage is not always steady footing. Can try contacting con to ask, though.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
01-29-2003, 10:33 PM
ok..i'll do that

Chosuke
01-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Hey Joe!

I don't remember any flips in the Kata I learned for Karate,but then again..I don't pay as much attention attention or go as much to it as my other martial arts since it's my least favorite o.-..

I'm sure if you called and asked they would allow a few things other then the basics!

Miaka No Baka
01-30-2003, 12:42 PM
There's a group of ppl from sac state who go to fanime and perform martial art skits relating to the characters they cosplay. (mostly fushigi yuugi, there was one video game one they did last year) but what they do is they clear it with the con first and they'd probably have to show the staff what they're doing first of all and show their credentials (IE they dont want a regular person who has no knowledge of doing the stuff to be up there doing it cause they most likely will get hurt but if you've earned a certain belt have been doing this for years blah blah they should be fine with it) it also depends on the stage too. fanime did their masq on a real stage not one of those portable sectioned stages so the stage there could handle it. When in doubt email and ask tell them you can show them your skit before you even go on stage so they can see that you are capable of handling it. ^_^ It's cool when people do that stuff but keep it short and simple and it'd be even better.

Miaka no Baka

Claireon
02-27-2003, 01:39 PM
I thought con cosplays didn't allow it not because it's dangerous (though it can be) but for the same reasons they don't accept generic martial arts uniforms as costumes. Basically, they want an anime/game skit or performance, not generic martial arts performances. I guess if you art-i-fied it a bit, made it really in the style of the character, or mixed it up dance-like as the original poster suggested, that would be accepted. (As in, use your martial arts talents to support the skit, not use the skit to show off your martial arts talents.)

Hikaruchan
02-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Nope, at least with the cosplay I run only reason would frown is would be dangerous on sectional stage. I would also advise that if someone tried this at a con that would accept it, they kept it under a minute as a lot of the audience may not be very interested in it if there is no dialogue.