PDA

View Full Version : what to do!?

cutekawaii
01-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Which would you rather buy.....

the japanese manga, even if you can't understand it, or the english manga?

and, if you buy japanese manga and an english version came out, would you buy it?

decisions decisions...

Tenshi
01-26-2003, 11:02 PM
I would rather buy the one I could understand, as long as it was a halfway decent translation (ie Tokyopop's crap version of Sailormoon). Otherwise, I'm sure you can find fan translations to read along to online somewhere.

Shadow Lady
01-26-2003, 11:07 PM
Personally, I buy japanese only because

A. I find it cheaper than translated.
B. Its good practice for my japanese class.
and
c. Some things don't translate well in English.

Lynzie
01-26-2003, 11:22 PM
I typically buy manga in Japanese, but I also buy it in English when it comes out. I tend to like manga that hasn't been released in America, though. :P So I find fan translations, and use those. ^_^

videogirlc
01-27-2003, 03:07 AM
I always buy mine in english, they're costly but I can understand them. If they're not out in the states I go online and find a translation.

Mei Lan Chang
01-27-2003, 01:08 PM
English for me. I'm only a first year japanese student, and I can barely ask directions.

Rosiel
01-27-2003, 01:24 PM
The way I do it...

I tend to buy them in Japanese, because I have a tendancy to want everything /yesterday/ and my Japanese (though left to rot in the back of my brain) is still good enough to read manga.

If they are available in French, and I do not own them in Japanese, I will buy them in French. (ex: X, Clover, Evangelion, Gasaraki etc.)

If I own them in Japanese and I find them hard to read, I will buy them in French (ex: Angel Sanctuary)

If I am being a lazy bum and paid next to nothing for the few issues of a manga I have, I will buy them in French. (ex: Fruits Basket)

If I read the manga a million times over already or if they are easy enough to read without a dictionary, I keep them in Japanese. (ex: Utena, Fushigi Yuugi.)

I don't own any manga in English so I don't know about the quality of the translation but I've been happy with all the French ones I have. ^__^

TsukiGuujin
01-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Japanese. It's good practice! Then, I will spend HOURS translating, the manga will come out in English, and I will spend just as many hours bitching about how horrible it is. *laugh*

Next manga to buy:
Angel Sanctuary
Petshop of Horrors
Banana Fish (which I might buy in English)
(in that order)

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

MikigamiTokiya
01-28-2003, 12:53 AM
I'd buy the japanese manga if it wasn't liscensed here and just d/l translations and if it is liscensed read up on it nline to see how accurate it is, if it sucks go for the japanese.

SleepingKirby
01-28-2003, 04:04 AM
Well, it depends on whether or not I'm lazy. Luckily, Japanese and Chinese seem to cost about the same. If I see the issue in front of me and it's Japanese, I'll get Japanese and practice. If it's in Chinese, I 'll get it in Chinese and add to the collection. I *rarely* buy American stuff. But if I do, there must be a reason. Either, A) There something in that issue that the issue I have doesn't have. And/or B) I like the company and I don't have the issue. Let's hear it for being trilingual!!! (well... getting there... :p)

mandichan
01-28-2003, 01:45 PM
I almost always buy em right out in Japanese since I can read them pretty well... If its too hard I'll just put it down and read it a week later or so and do better in it.. I'm too lazy to look up translations generally ^_^;;

I would buy the English versions when they come out if I had the money, but.. ^_^

In the few cases where I hadn't already started collecting something in Japanese by the time it comes out in English, I'll buy the American version so my friends can read it, even though its more costly to me T_T (But I only get Peach Girl and Paradise Kiss in English anyway ^_^)

But, yeah, English manga is TOO expensive, translation quality varies a lot, and the selection is SO lacking... T_T