PDA

View Full Version : Yoko Kanno!

TheLoneWolf
01-27-2003, 12:19 AM
GAWD! She is just SO awesome,isn't she? :D
question:
does anyone have an official YK club mailing address or something?

MikigamiTokiya
01-27-2003, 12:20 AM
yahoo usually has all the mailing lists. you could probally find and/or start one there depending on the situation

TheLoneWolf
01-27-2003, 09:15 AM
Excellent.Now onto some more Kanno worship.....
*begins praying in little YK shrine*

avagoyle
01-28-2003, 04:58 PM
I have pictures of my fiance with her. Apparently she is the "cutest japanese woman ever".

Mia-P
01-28-2003, 07:13 PM
I lurve the music she did for Cowboy Bebop, that stuff's amazing!!!! *TANK!*

TheLoneWolf
01-28-2003, 07:54 PM
I love the music she did for those jap sitcoms (?).Hey independant Cowboy bebop tracks (N.Y rush,and so on) are pretty cool too....so,what's your favourite YK track? I'm pretty divided on the Wolf's Rain Ending/Opening and The Real Folk Blues!

P.S:I was asking if anyone knew the PHYSICAL address of any YK fanclub (if not her direct address.....ah,wishful thinking!)

mughi3
02-02-2003, 06:06 AM
i just picked up the ghost in the shell tv soundtrack...once again yoko kanno outdoes herself.
:drink:

TheLoneWolf
02-02-2003, 10:31 AM
o.O..I have to pick that up then!

Vinya
02-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Yoko Kanno rulz. At the moment, I'm working on a paper about her for my music class. A little further in the spring we'll have to hold a lecture, me about Yoko Kanno, and we have to play 5 music samples. But how can I choose only 5?!

I really like the Cowboy Bebop sountrack. I'd say that Call Me Call Me is the best. Or Rain. Or Time to Know. Or... See? It's so hard to choose!!

I just luv Vision of Escaflowne's soundtracks too, Dance of Curse and Flying Dragon are just so... So... Yoko Kanno. ^_^

Vinya
02-02-2003, 12:39 PM
Yoko Kanno rulz. At the moment, I'm working on a paper about her for my music class. A little further in the spring we'll have to hold a lecture, me about Yoko Kanno, and we have to play 5 music samples. But how can I choose only 5?!

I really like the Cowboy Bebop sountrack. I'd say that Call Me Call Me is the best. Or Rain. Or Time to Know. Or... See? It's so hard to choose!!

I just luv Vision of Escaflowne's soundtracks too, Dance of Curse and Flying Dragon are just so... So... Yoko Kanno. ^_^

Sakura
02-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Yoko Kanno is an absolute genius! *_* Vinya, you're lucky that you get to talk about her to a class!

number18
02-23-2003, 11:26 AM
^_^ She did songs for Record of Lodoss War too that are absolutely amazing. I'm at a loss for words how to exactly describe her, but she gets just the right mood for each of her songs, and that's what I love about her.

=lots of drooling gurgling sounds here=

Someone else who manages to just capture things is Ryuichi Sakamoto. I bet a lot of people who like Yoko Kanno would like him too...=nodnod=

Ina
02-23-2003, 12:31 PM
Yoko Kanno rawks! i fell in love with her music in Cowboy Bebop *o* just wowerzs!

Caryn
02-23-2003, 12:37 PM
Yoko Kanno is the BEST!! I lovles her so much. I got ta meet her at AXNY 02, and she is just the sweetest person! Her guard-type people were trying to get her out of there, but I had asked for a picture and she stopped them and not only took the picture with me, but autographed some stuff and stopped to talk ^__^ She's a very nice lady, as well as extremely talented. I really look up to her ^^

mughi3
02-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Vinya
don't forget some variety in those samples.... she does classical(escaflowne), techno(macross plus), jazz/blues(cowboybeebop), and rock(cowboybeebop and ghost in the shell) etc...
;)

Ali-kun
02-24-2003, 01:59 AM
Haven't seen much of Cowboy Bebop, but I was VERY impressed by the music of Wolf's Rain (I think we can call that our anime club's first successful viewing - people came, we didn't have any technical problems, and they liked it ^_~)

That's saying a lot for me, because usually the music is either something in the background that I don't pay attention to, or something that manages to annoy me to no end - this isn't anime, but if anyone's ever seen Man Facing Southeast (I think it's a movie from Argentina - everyone's got an Argentine? Argentinian? accent) - that had some of the most horrendous music I've ever heard in a movie x.x They didn't use it very effectively, either - in one scene in a cafe, the "background" music drowns out the actors' voices!

...*cough* Anyway. In Wolf's Rain I was struck by how good, and more importantly how appropriate the music was. Even when it was relatively loud, it didn't drown anything out but rather enhanced it (hehe, I actually compared one scene where Hige and Kiba were talking to the aforementioned Man Facing Southeast cafe scene in my head when I saw it ^^)

Making Ali LOVE the music in a series, instead of just saying "oh, there is music there, heh," is a great feat @_@ *applauds*

Vinya
05-06-2003, 08:07 AM
Hey! ^_^/

Like I already mentioned, I'm gonna talk to the class about Yoko Kanno. Now, I can choose 2-5 samples (=songs) from her and I can't make up my mind which songs to take! O_o Help me! Please! ^_^

Well, I'm thinking of taking the most different ones, you know, I want to highlight how DIFFERENT music she can make, like Tank! and Flying Dragon and and and... gaa! Help me out!

Babbit_Chan
05-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Her music is absolutely amazing. I LOVED the work she did for Escaflowne, and yet for Cowboy Bebop! (Didn't she also do music for Wolf's Rain?)

Kurenai
05-06-2003, 11:49 AM
Try her work in Earth Girl Arjuna---as well as her other stuff, that really stood out to me. Gorgeous.

Kia
05-06-2003, 01:25 PM
I deffinatly agree with Kurenai! Arjuna is one of my favourite Yoko Kanno series/music of. I'm part of the announcers club at school. Every little while I get a week to play 15 min of mucis before school starts. This morning I took advantage of it and played Shadow of Doubt and Tank (as well as "Must be dreaming" which is I'm completely in love with ^_^). Vinya, if you play anything from Escaflowne, it has to be Shadow of Doubt, that song is truly amazing! (btw- if you need any yoko kanno music, I have over 18 hours worth ^_^)

sevette
05-06-2003, 02:36 PM
yoko kanno is probably one of my favorite composers, japanese or otherwise. i play violin, so i especially love her more classical pieces. but we all know it's her more innovative songs that have made her famous. ^~ my favorite of her songs are 'dance of curse' and 'yakosu wa iranai', 'information high'...wait! i have too many favorites. ^^;

she's going to be at the big apple anime fest this august too, so i'm doing everything i can to go. meeting her would be so amazing. *__*

Ashurachan
05-07-2003, 03:57 AM
Yoko Kanno does not write very original music - most of what she does, sounds like something else. But she does that with a lot of talent, sometimes even genius.
If some of you haven't heard it, I suggest her personal album (non-soundtrack, that is) "Song to fly". The opening piece is simply wonderful (it's a Bulgarian choir).

Kia
05-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Vinya, what songs did you end up using for your Yoko Kanno presentation?

Freya
05-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ashurachan
Yoko Kanno does not write very original music - most of what she does, sounds like something else.

Then again, that's true of most musicians/composers; a lot of the newer stuff is recycled themes and motives, just repackaged.

But she does that with a lot of talent, sometimes even genius.

I have to agree with that. My mom, who doesn't like anime LOVES her music...especially Cowboy Bebop and Vision of Escaflowne. She always told me that the Escaflowne soundtracks sound like something off of "Wizard of Oz":rolleyes:
My mom is also a big fan of big-band style music, thus her obsession with Tank.

I love Yoko Kanno to death and wished I could've gone to AX NY when she was there...hmmm maybe AX 03 possibly? LOL In my dreams...

Vinya
05-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kia
Vinya, what songs did you end up using for your Yoko Kanno presentation?

Presentation! Yes! That's the word, thank you, Kia. ^-^

Well, because of the stupid stupid time limitations, I ended up starting the presentation with Tank! (TV Edit). After that, I talked about her a while, then, to highlight the contrast, I played Dance of Curse II (II, because it's shorter than the original). Theen I blabbed on again, which after I played a Samply Red tune called Only LOVE! or something like that, (and then I talked about her again) and for the Grande Finale, I played my personal favourite, Sora. It was also to bring out Kanno-sama's "own language" in her lyrics that she writes. I think it was balanced out pretty well, considering the STUPID time limits. >_>

Kia
05-20-2003, 01:13 PM
How much time were you given?

Vinya
05-20-2003, 01:23 PM
10 minutes, but the samples weren't allowed to last more that 1:30. (Although Sora lasted 2:30 :D)

Kia
05-20-2003, 04:41 PM
Arg! How could they do that to you? Most of her best music is loooong, or at least compared to the amount of time you were given! :: sigh :: I think I just would have held the class hostage and made them listen to EVERY SINGLE SONG Yoko has ever done! ... but that's because I'm e-vil... ^_^

Odin
05-21-2003, 08:24 PM
"Call Me Call Me" from Cowboy Bebop is what got me hooked on Yoko Kanno's music. I was a bit disappointed with the Cowboy Bebop: Future Blues soundtrack, though I really like the last half of that one.

7 Minutes is way too addicting for me.
-Odin

Nikitsuki
05-21-2003, 09:16 PM
>.<!!! I love Yoko!! I'm actually listening to her right now. I love her record of lodos songs. so pretty...

Ashika
05-28-2003, 11:05 PM
I love Yoko Kanno! *Worships incessantly.*

Kia
05-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know if Yoko is making any more North american appearances? I know that she was in New York last year, but is she comming back?

TheLoneWolf
06-08-2003, 02:43 AM
*sigh*
I found out about that a little too late......BAWHAWHAW!!!!

Kaede
06-11-2003, 08:35 PM
*cries that found thread so late* I love Yoko's music. She is totally set apart from all other composers.

Cait
06-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Yoko Kanno does not write very original music - most of what she does, sounds like something else. But she does that with a lot of talent, sometimes even genius.

Well, isn't that the idea? How many genres and styles of music has she masterfully imitated? I mean she did the complete run of American music with the Cowboy Bebop stuff! Also, I enjoy how with the TV Series she's done we just about always get more than one version of all the major themes... "Deja Blue" from Escaflowne is the 'music box' version of the main theme and the orchestrated version also appears... "Again". The same shows up with "Hitomi's Theme" and "Cradle Song".

If some of you haven't heard it, I suggest her personal album (non-soundtrack, that is) "Song to fly". The opening piece is simply wonderful (it's a Bulgarian choir).

Ah! "Atomic Bird". That one was nice. My personal favorite off that album is the piano solo, "Artisan".. that or "The man in the desert". For a full month after I bought the album I listed to "The man in the desert" on repeat for hours on end.

Cait
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
How much sheet music does everyone here have of hers? Arangements or otherwise? I've managed to find a few Escaflowne (memorized Memory of Fanelia), and some Cowboy Bebop out of my range (I do not play piano or an instrument you blow into), but nothing as of yet for Arjuna or.. anything else really.

(Another violin am I, btw.)

Ina
06-12-2003, 08:48 PM
what are your guys top ten songs?!?!

Eriol
06-12-2003, 10:48 PM
You should also look into Yoko Kanno's works in game music.

Her more known ones in this genre happen to be

Napple Tale OST (2 separate albums)

Koei Game Music Works ~ Yoko Kanno Collection

Kia
06-15-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Cait
Ah! "Atomic Bird". That one was nice. My personal favorite off that album is the piano solo, "Artisan".. that or "The man in the desert". For a full month after I bought the album I listed to "The man in the desert" on repeat for hours on end.

You own it?!?!? How? When?!!

Cait
06-15-2003, 04:44 PM
You own it?!?!? How? When?!!

A friend of mine owns an anime store. She dabbled in the expensive world of anime/japanese CDs for a while. She knew I adored the woman, so she snagged that one when she saw it was available and put it aside for me when the shipment came. It was about $15. The place she ordered it from was a wholesaler in Taiwan, I believe. Just keep your eyes peeled at the conventions. I'd imagine with her popularity it wouldn't be too hard to find someone with it. If you've not seen it, I could scan the cover just so you know what you're looking for.

Kia
06-15-2003, 05:03 PM
I think the only way I'm going to find it over here is if i buy the bootleg (which I'm not really into doing). I'm not sure, but I don't think there's a large supply of the legitimate stuff out here. :(