PDA

View Full Version : First convention. Got advice?

Misty Eyes
08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
hi i'm new to cosplaying and i'm still currently working on my first cosplay ever. onnafest will be the first convention i go to and i'm really nervous about it. i don't know what really goes on at con's besides taking pictures. and also i don't really know anyone. does everyone just know eachother or something? lol i probably sound stupid but bare with me. i'd really like to meet some people on this site and at the con since i don't know people who cosplay.

oh yeah, i'll be going as asuka kazama (alternate costume) from tekken 5.

thanks for reading this. i look forward to meeting you guys! (lol hopefully)

Marsha Mellow
08-22-2005, 01:13 AM
First of all... welcome to cosplay world! It's fun as long as it doesn't get obsessive.
Here is my list of 10 things to know and do at cons...

1. You will be nauseatingly nervous until you get to the con and see all the fabulous people cosplaying like you, or people admiring you for your costume. It will be weird the first hour, but then you'll get over it and start loving the attention (hopefully).
2. At cons, you buy stuff at the exhibit hall (cute shirts and key chains), go to panels (like "learn all about voice acting", weird facts from a famous anime), take pictures, watch anime and don't forget to stop and take a breather every once in a while!
3. Make sure to take snaks and water to refuel! My friends and I could go an entire day without eating unless we remind eachother to do so. We are busy cosplayers! and food at conventions is really expensive... and UNHEALTHY. Take protein bars and water. Refuel right.
4. If you're cosplaying alone, be sure talk to another cosplayer, compliment another cosplayer's costume and/or take pictures with another cosplayer so you can exchange pictures later. Be sure to find out if they're members of cosplay.com to feel like you belong... besides, you'll be promoting this great site that we all love.
5. If professional photogs take pics of you (they will be the guys with fancy cameras), be sure to ask for their business card or where the picture will end up so you can find it on-line later... or so they can e-mail it to you.
6. Don't be shy.
7. Flirt with un-perverted looking guys. It's fun making them nervous if you look hot in your costume.
8. Beware of stalkers and glompers (people that randomly attack you with cosplay admiration/love/body impact).
9. Make sure to look at the con schedual and make a plan of what you want to do that day. If you don't do this, you'll be lost and waste an antire day trying to figure out what to do.
10. Most importantly... HAVE FUN! and be FABULOUS!

KSquared
08-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Hey duckling, welcome and ::hugs:: luck to you!
My first con was Shoujocon '03, so I know how you feel about everyone seeming to knw each other. Once I got there ther were all these people who knew each other and had better costumes and knew about more anime than I had heard of and I couldn't afford the dealers' room stuff I wanted- gah!
You don't have to cosplay, first off, but you can, and that you enjoy running around a hotel in really odd getups is kinda crucial. Don't bug out and enter every contest on your first try or burn your wig in the bathroom- the staff gets all frowny about that it seems- just rock out being odd.
Not everyone knows each other- unless they came with each other or are veterans of that con, most people just met online before hand or at the con, or maybe the year or two before., but this is the only time they get together. Most everyone at a con is intelligent and creative, just because of the necessities to get off one's pocky-fueled rear and go to a con. Shoujocon in particular, as a small and focused con, is very friendly and intimate. I don't know about Yuricon from first hand experience, but I've heard only good things and expect most people at Onna will be very glad to take you in with glomps and squeals.
Aside from taking pictures, one of the great things about ploping down all that money to get into te con is the programming. A sampling: I saw all of Gravitation in one sitting, experienced many music videos, had ice cream, made friends, faux-rallied in support of yaoi & yuri, won cutest PJs [I wasn't aware I was in hte running], learned about half a dozen animanga I'm now into, put up two of my original artworks for sale, tried 3 new flavours of pockey, chillled out and tried to read Korean, bought a stuffed Kero-chan and, yeah, had my picture taken by a random dude old enough to be my dad.

I really hope that helps, luv. PM me if you've more specific questions.

Misty Eyes
08-22-2005, 05:48 PM
wow thanks for the great advice guys. i was expecting maybe a few sentences but you guys really nailed it down into the core. i feel a lot less nervous about the con now. =)

marsha mellow are you going to onnafest as well? if you are i hope you wear your chun-li costume, i'd love to take pictures with you.

ksquared once you put some pics up maybe i'll recognize you at the con (or vice versa)

kimiko637
08-24-2005, 01:25 AM
hi i'm new to cosplaying and i'm still currently working on my first cosplay ever. onnafest will be the first convention i go to and i'm really nervous about it. i don't know what really goes on at con's besides taking pictures. and also i don't really know anyone. does everyone just know eachother or something? lol i probably sound stupid but bare with me. i'd really like to meet some people on this site and at the con since i don't know people who cosplay.

oh yeah, i'll be going as asuka kazama (alternate costume) from tekken 5.

thanks for reading this. i look forward to meeting you guys! (lol hopefully)

Hi! I'm planning on going to Onnafest Oct. 8th, and maybe the 9th. I'll be going as Light CHii and still debating whether to bring another outfit, not sure yet. I'll be going with my younger sister and my soon to be 15 month old baby girl :) And maybe the Hubby will tag along too who knows LOL. But I just wanted to tell you I know how you feel, Onnafest will be my 3rd Con. I remember the first one i went to, i was so nervous and excited, but didn't cosplay instead took tons of pixs of people who did. :)

I know what you mean by it seems as if everyone there knows eachother. This time around, i'm trying to meet up with cosplayers from here who are planning to be there also :) I hope to see you there :) If anything here's my AIM SN: kimikoxbabyangel

Jes
09-02-2005, 12:33 AM
My only Advice, HAVE FUN! :>

marsie
09-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Word of advice: Don't Worry!

Onna! is going to be a small con and therefore great to break into Cons with. ShoujoCon and YuriCon have really great rapport and we seem to have some great events ready for you all.

I look forward to seeing you all there. I'll be at the Registration table. So feel free to wave and say Yo.

TheAnarCHris
09-02-2005, 03:30 PM
Or you can just drop kick Marsie like I plan on doing...er...not doing....Hi Marz!! LOL.

Seeing how I'm the king of the NYC/NY con scene (self-appointed, although Marsie will vouch for me), here's sum REAL con facts you really need.

1) Anything with the letters C.o.P. attached to it is unsually bad for your health.
2) If you want to make a friend real quick and easy, look for Neoangelwink. She's cute, squishey and makes high amusing sounds. Just tell her you saw some of her costumes on Cosplay.com and you're set.
3) Always listen to Starwind824. But never trust me.
4) THERE IS NO FOUR.
5) Despite how odd it may seem, it's always safer to be with a male crossplayer, than a male who cosplays a Yaoi character.
6) Go the masquerade. I know who's judging, as well as of few acts already, so it would be worth your time.
7)Sleeping,eating and bathing are all important. Make sure you do all 3.
8) If you want to make a lot of friends real quick, seek out myself or DJ Ranma (but don't trust me), and ask about NYO! Cosplay or Otaku Army.
9) Never refer to "Cardcaptor Sakura" as "Cardcaptors". Believe me, it's a big mistake.
10) Any smut you find in the dealer's room can be found on the internet for a cheaper price. Like free.
11) Expect to be like the only Tekken cosplayer there. LOL. I love the game and all, but in the 13+ plus cons I've been too, I've only seen like 4 of you. In total.

marsie
09-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Or you can just drop kick Marsie like I plan on doing...er...not doing....Hi Marz!! LOL.

Seeing how I'm the king of the NYC/NY con scene (self-appointed, although Marsie will vouch for me), here's sum REAL con facts you really need.

1) Anything with the letters C.o.P. attached to it is unsually bad for your health.
2) If you want to make a friend real quick and easy, look for Neoangelwink. She's cute, squishey and makes high amusing sounds. Just tell her you saw some of her costumes on Cosplay.com and you're set.
3) Always listen to Starwind824. But never trust me.
4) THERE IS NO FOUR.
5) Despite how odd it may seem, it's always safer to be with a male crossplayer, than a male who cosplays a Yaoi character.
6) Go the masquerade. I know who's judging, as well as of few acts already, so it would be worth your time.
7)Sleeping,eating and bathing are all important. Make sure you do all 3.
8) If you want to make a lot of friends real quick, seek out myself or DJ Ranma (but don't trust me), and ask about NYO! Cosplay or Otaku Army.
9) Never refer to "Cardcaptor Sakura" as "Cardcaptors". Believe me, it's a big mistake.
10) Any smut you find in the dealer's room can be found on the internet for a cheaper price. Like free.
11) Expect to be like the only Tekken cosplayer there. LOL. I love the game and all, but in the 13+ plus cons I've been too, I've only seen like 4 of you. In total.

Carrie does make some interesting sounds. Can we squeeze her for free or do we have to give you a fee or something, and will this be a game at the con?

I also want to stress the importance of number 7

Bathing = happy Marsie
I WILL Febreeze you if you smell.

TheAnarCHris
09-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Carrie does make some interesting sounds. Can we squeeze her for free or do we have to give you a fee or something, and will this be a game at the con?

I also want to stress the importance of number 7

Bathing = happy Marsie
I WILL Febreeze you if you smell.

DAMMIT I should con. I'd totally make more money on making Carrie make cute noises than hats.

BotMan
09-02-2005, 05:09 PM
coool!!!..she sound super nice and stuff..well ummmmm see your at the con!!!!=DDDD ohh hats?? where?? where HATS???

KaineMaxwell
09-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Don't forget to eat, or bring ramen.

Misty Eyes
09-05-2005, 09:37 PM
hahahaha you guys are hilarious! lol i can't wait to see all of you there. hmm i understand that there barely any tekken cosplayers at all and it is a bit discouraging now that i stop to think about it. ahh oh well! i'm in progress of making an original "Thief Rinoa". should i go as that instead?

what about my stuff? i'm only going for one day so i don't need to stay at a hotel. but where do i leave my essentials (wallet and stuff) should i just carry it around all day in a small purse or something? what do you guys normally do?

lol botman we gotta post some pictures soon otherwise nobody will know it's us. =D

thanks guys for being really supportive and being so kind to me. can't wait for onna!

Misty Eyes
09-05-2005, 09:46 PM
hahaha you guys are right, i have seen neoangelwink's costumes before. oh and starwind824. the baaf from 2003, i know the selphie personally who you took pictures with! who are you guys all going as so i know who to look for

kimiko637
09-05-2005, 10:36 PM
hahaha you guys are right, i have seen neoangelwink's costumes before. oh and starwind824. the baaf from 2003, i know the selphie personally who you took pictures with! who are you guys all going as so i know who to look for

Hey Sheena... :) I'll be dressing up baby Sakura (Bubbles) as Kotoko from Chobits. And as for myself going as Light CHii, i might wear the white dress, or i might just improvise and dress up as Chii wearing a gothic lolita outfit. I'll be sure to show you pixs of the outfits later.

And speaking of meeting up at the Con, i'll e-mail you later or catch you online :)

And i can't wait to see/meet everyone else!!!

TheAnarCHris
09-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Carrie (Neoangelwink) is working on a Tohro from Fruits Basket costume, and making moi a Shigure costume to match ::rolls eyes:: For the rest of the weekend, she's either going with Aerith or her costume from Harvest Moon.

As for me, since this is a Shoujo/Yuri con, I decided no costume whould be more appropirate than my Leon S. Kennedy costume from Resident Evil 4, because fangirls are creepy, and nothing says "Shoujo" like Survival Horror.

And regarding carrying material, I usally have a bag or packets for carrying goodness. Or I just throw everything in my room. Which really isn't an opition for you,lol.

KaineMaxwell
09-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I'm considering a Kyo for this con also to go along with Cid, Umino and Ebisu.

marsie
09-06-2005, 08:24 PM
gah i really need to make a list of costumes

I REALLY want to do Shonen Bat but I think that might wait till Ohayocon.

So it might just be Slytherin(or Ginny Weasly depending on my hair) Girl, Yui(FY) PGSM Mars and either my new EGL or Dark Gunner Yuna. dunno yet.

Hot Springs Kitsune might also make a repeat proformance.

Misty Eyes
09-07-2005, 12:30 AM
lol wow you guys are all so experienced in cosplaying! lol as a newbie i'm so intimidated and starting to get nervous yet again (which is why i started this thread in the first place). i have any questions about cons. about this whole registration thing. i already pre-registered. do i pick up my badge the day of the con? and if i do, what time should i be there? should i go the day before? cause that would be crazy for me to do.

marsie
09-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Another piece of Con advice. If you see any of the males that are on this site. RUN!

TheAnarCHris
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
lol wow you guys are all so experienced in cosplaying! lol as a newbie i'm so intimidated and starting to get nervous yet again (which is why i started this thread in the first place). i have any questions about cons. about this whole registration thing. i already pre-registered. do i pick up my badge the day of the con? and if i do, what time should i be there? should i go the day before? cause that would be crazy for me to do.

Experienced maybe, but only because I'm extremely lucky when it comes to cash management (but not lucky enuff to manage a XB360 into my collection yet), and that NaW makes the majority of the costumes I wear, so of course thier gonna look good.

And despite what Marsie says, I'm ALL man, despite what her little fan fics say. I understand the Cloud costume...but why the nurse's outfit. Your a sick sick little moo cow!!!

And yes u should pick up ur badge that Saturda. But I'm not sure when the con starts...that's more of a Marsie thing.

marsie
09-08-2005, 08:51 PM
And despite what Marsie says, I'm ALL man, despite what her little fan fics say. I understand the Cloud costume...but why the nurse's outfit. Your a sick sick little moo cow!!!

And yes u should pick up ur badge that Saturda. But I'm not sure when the con starts...that's more of a Marsie thing.
This moo cow will be running with the pruning shears and we'll see how much of a man is left. :devil:

From the Reg Chair:LauraRegchair (9:48:10 PM): there will be a pre-reg only pick up from 9-11pm i believe on friday. I highly suggest pre-reg.

I was wrong on the amount we are capping. It is 450, and we are at 330. So not too many left to go. So If I were you...I'd pre-reg.

Misty Eyes
09-09-2005, 09:20 PM
WHAT IN THE WORLD? lol oh no. i pre-registered a long time ago. and since i'm only going to the con saturday, my mom can take me that day since we are a few hours away. but is there any other way i can get my badge besides friday? my mom won't be able to make 2 trips 2 days in a row.

Kuroki
09-10-2005, 02:50 AM
Of course you can. Most conventions have badge pick up all weekend, especially on saturday. But if your still worried check out the schedual on their webpage

faeornran
09-10-2005, 03:03 AM
awesome... some good tips for me to live off of... i will literally eat your words in march :P

going to the Sakura Con in Seattle. Forgot to mention that...

Misty Eyes
09-10-2005, 05:22 PM
whew so that means i can pick up my badge saturday morning? what time should i get there and how long am i gonna be standing on line for?

marsie
09-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Not long...15 mints at most. This is a small con!
Make sure you wave to the red head at the reg table. That will be me. ^_^

Misty Eyes
09-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Not long...15 mints at most. This is a small con!
Make sure you wave to the red head at the reg table. That will be me. ^_^
alrighty! since i don't really know how this goes. there's gotta be seperate lines for pre-reg and regular reg right? which table will you be at? i'm definetely gonna say hi and ask for a picture =D

TheAnarCHris
09-12-2005, 07:25 PM
This moo cow will be running with the pruning shears and we'll see how much of a man is left. :devil:

That's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT con legal.

And I dont think Carrie would like that much. Don't make her cry.

Misty Eyes
09-12-2005, 08:26 PM
you guys and NaW seem to know eachother very personally. do you guys know eachother outside of cosplay as well? do you all live nearby eachother?

DaniiChan
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
you guys and NaW seem to know eachother very personally. do you guys know eachother outside of cosplay as well? do you all live nearby eachother?

:: points to Starwind:: They're engaged! ^_^

Hiya ::waves:: I'm Danii, I don't know who I'll be cosplaying yet, but I'll be there on Sunday (only ;_; ) but if you see me, don't be afraid to say 'hi!' I love meeting new people ^_^ I can be shy at first, but I really am nice! I swear! ^^ Have fun at the con!!

And, I didn't know this one was capped too... ;_; Why do they have to keep capping them!? ::shakes fist at the sky:: Oh well, I'll have to go check the website now and hope I can still register....gotta tell Biku that too.. >.>

TheAnarCHris
09-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I'M ENGAGED?!?!?! ::looks at bottle of mysterious yuri purple drink:: OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Wow, like only 3 ppl are going to get that one.

And yes, NaW and I engaged, like my secretary/Filler Sakura Danii-chan pointed.

DaniiChan
09-13-2005, 12:57 PM
I'M ENGAGED?!?!?! ::looks at bottle of mysterious yuri purple drink:: OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....

Wow, like only 3 ppl are going to get that one.

And yes, NaW and I engaged, like my secretary/Filler Sakura Danii-chan pointed.

Haha, secretary XD Yep Yep, that's me ^_^ ::organizes some papers and puts away Starwind's 'Top Secret' files:: >.>

Misty Eyes
09-13-2005, 06:58 PM
wait wait wait wait wait..... hold up one second.... you guys are really engaged? like, no joke, actually gonna go through with it and get married? how old are you guys? when's the wedding?

daniichan i'm only gonna be their saturday =*(

kimiko637
09-13-2005, 07:37 PM
wait wait wait wait wait..... hold up one second.... you guys are really engaged? like, no joke, actually gonna go through with it and get married? how old are you guys? when's the wedding?

Me too, i'm gonna only be there saturday :( But atleast guess who's gonna be hangin out with me *wink wink* *points over at Misty Eyes* LOL... But anyways, i hope to see everyone else from here too!!! Gonna be taking lots of pictures of everyone so don't get mad k? You all will have to get a pix with my daughter, Sakura (she's 15 months old) :)

TheAnarCHris
09-13-2005, 09:04 PM

Ummm, we're both 23,lol. And the wedding's still a few years away..

::Looks at Danii-chan, and nods in approval of her mad filing skills::

DaniiChan
09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
^___^

Oh, then I wont get to meet either of you ;_; Well, enjoy the con anyways!!

marsie
09-13-2005, 09:49 PM
They are legal....all though Chris may act younger he really is mature....just ask him to do an Irish Jig...over and over and over.

I will be there Fri-on.

Misty Eyes
09-15-2005, 08:51 PM
hahaha it wasn't a question of whether they're legal or not. you marry when your in love, not when your "old enough" congrats on that. that's amazing news!

ahh marsie you'll only be there friday? that means i won't get to see you at the registration table. is anyone here gonna be there saturday?

kimiko637
09-15-2005, 09:23 PM
yeah i'd also like to know who else will be there on saturday. :)

TheAnarCHris
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Marsie will be there all weekend, starting friday. She's staff like me.

I'm getting there around 4/4:30ish Saturday. I'll be judging the masquerade that night, running a few photoshoots on Sunday, premiering a fan film and doing a panel and djing on sunday night.

kimiko637
09-15-2005, 10:01 PM

I'm getting there around 4/4:30ish Saturday. I'll be judging the masquerade that night, running a few photoshoots on Sunday, premiering a fan film and doing a panel and djing on sunday night.

your on the staff?!!! So there's no way to miss you then! Will you be in costume? I wanna pix!!!

marsie
09-15-2005, 11:49 PM
I am kinda hard to miss. But I am always glad to meet others on this site!

yes, I will be bringing...

Lolita
Ginny Weasly- Harry Potter
PGSM Mars - Sailor Moon Live Action
Neo Princess Neptune- Manga Sailor Moon

DaniiChan
09-16-2005, 06:06 AM

Do you know what day it shows? If I can, I'd like to see it again ^_^ Oh, and were you at the showing at Otakon? I didnt see you guys there o.o

Initial Diesal
09-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Beware of Catboys for they be cute and submissive little creatures...
If you hear the name Joe Bombable in the room duck and cover because all things geeky, cute and cosplay are targets for his Bombable wrath.

If a circle of Nerds start a bootleg fight club Ring I'm gonna break someone's jaw in my Yuusuke costume.

<33

kimiko637
09-16-2005, 12:27 PM
If you hear the name Joe Bombable in the room duck and cover because all things geeky, cute and cosplay are targets for his Bombable wrath.

If a circle of Nerds start a bootleg fight club Ring I'm gonna break someone's jaw in my Yuusuke costume.

<33
that is too funny!!!!

TheAnarCHris
09-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you know what day it shows? If I can, I'd like to see it again ^_^ Oh, and were you at the showing at Otakon? I didnt see you guys there o.o

Costume wise, we're looking at Leon from Resident Evil 4, Shigure from Fruit Baskets, and Rat Traitorus Ba$t@rd verision of Sasuke from Naruto. Regarding the movie...

"We're giving your Kaiju friend one hour to show a movie that is patently NOT under our description ( it has nothing whatsoever to do with women in animation and comics,) out of the goodness of our hearts." -Some mook in charge.

Seeing how this is a 2 hour movie, and they just p.o.ed moi, and the guy he got to DJ this thing for free in exchange for a panel and showing this movie,
I'm going with not sure.

P.S.- Yes, because there's NEVER been a female in a FF game, nor do ANY Females appear in this movie........

DaniiChan
09-16-2005, 05:51 PM

<33

X3 I shall huggle the kitty when I see him! =P

Costume wise, we're looking at Leon from Resident Evil 4, Shigure from Fruit Baskets, and Rat Traitorus Ba$t@rd verision of Sasuke from Naruto. Regarding the movie...

"We're giving your Kaiju friend one hour to show a movie that is patently NOT under our description ( it has nothing whatsoever to do with women in animation and comics,) out of the goodness of our hearts." -Some mook in charge.

Seeing how this is a 2 hour movie, and they just p.o.ed moi, and the guy he got to DJ this thing for free in exchange for a panel and showing this movie,
I'm going with not sure.

P.S.- Yes, because there's NEVER been a female in a FF game, nor do ANY Females appear in this movie........

Arrrgggg these people sound likes jerks >.< Screw the staff! >:O Cept Chris..Ranma..Marsie....and any other of my friends who are on it ^_^ XD

Misty Eyes
09-18-2005, 06:51 PM
lol. i'm so excited now. onna is only a few weeks away. i'm glad i started this thread because i got to hear from you guys. i'm gonna look for everyone who posted here and thank them all personally for taking some time to help out a cosplay/con newbie like me.

now my question is regarding to eating. i hear con food is super expensive. and since i won't be staying in a hotel, can someone recommend which foods to bring that'll be convenient enough to carry around and won't go bad after a few hours?

also, i wanna bring a 2nd costume and i won't have a hotel room to change in. do you think the hotel staff would be pissed at me if used one of there bathrooms and took like 30 minutes to change? lol

kimiko637
09-18-2005, 07:15 PM
lol. i'm so excited now. onna is only a few weeks away. i'm glad i started this thread because i got to hear from you guys. i'm gonna look for everyone who posted here and thank them all personally for taking some time to help out a cosplay/con newbie like me.

now my question is regarding to eating. i hear con food is super expensive. and since i won't be staying in a hotel, can someone recommend which foods to bring that'll be convenient enough to carry around and won't go bad after a few hours?

also, i wanna bring a 2nd costume and i won't have a hotel room to change in. do you think the hotel staff would be pissed at me if used one of there bathrooms and took like 30 minutes to change? lol

I've seen alot of people change in bathrooms into their costumes, i think it'll be ok. And since i'll be bringing 2 costumes too, u can leave one in the car if u want :)

As for food, i dunno, i guess it depends what u feel like eating there, it might be expensive. i wonder are there any places close around there to go eat out at? there should be right?

Hmmm... what time u planning on getting there anyways?

Initial Diesal
09-18-2005, 07:24 PM
Oooh I will be scurrying about either being hyper adorable neko or taking a cat nap on the floor. Yes use and abuse all the hotel and con to your best needs. I too will go into a bathroom and change into my superhero costume! Onna con will be filled with the many girly things but be careful, once it gets late you must be 18 or older to ride with this neko, but fear not I am legal and still adorable squishy. But do not tickle me for I make squeaky noises of doom and will run away! >.<

kimiko637
09-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Oooh I will be scurrying about either being hyper adorable neko or taking a cat nap on the floor. Yes use and abuse all the hotel and con to your best needs. I too will go into a bathroom and change into my superhero costume! Onna con will be filled with the many girly things but be careful, once it gets late you must be 18 or older to ride with this neko, but fear not I am legal and still adorable squishy. But do not tickle me for I make squeaky noises of doom and will run away! >.<

ooooooooohhhhhhhh i wanna seeeeeeee!!! lol, i will be sure to keep an eye out for u! :)

Misty Eyes
09-18-2005, 10:17 PM
lol does this mean i'll be going to a restaurant in a full costume???

diesel if you run away from me, i warn you now that me and kimiko will run after you in full speed! =D

Initial Diesal
09-18-2005, 11:18 PM
Why with the glomping and the stomping and the squeezing of the neko that goes so bad! I'll give you sweet loving, massage your tootsies but don't tickle the neko, he might Xplode!

Misty Eyes
09-19-2005, 01:48 AM
Why with the glomping and the stomping and the squeezing of the neko that goes so bad! I'll give you sweet loving, massage your tootsies but don't tickle the neko, he might Xplode!
woah i'm totally anti-glomp. i would hate having a stranger come out of nowhere and hug me. no one gets that close to me besides my bf (and kimi). and i don't want no sweet loving or massaging either. once again, that is also reserved soley for my bf. which btw, he could totally kick your ass if he saw you try :bigtu: lol

:dance: i think this is the most awesome smiley ever. man this just puts a smile on my face

kimiko637
09-19-2005, 05:07 PM
woah i'm totally anti-glomp. i would hate having a stranger come out of nowhere and hug me. no one gets that close to me besides my bf (and kimi). and i don't want no sweet loving or massaging either. once again, that is also reserved soley for my bf. which btw, he could totally kick your ass if he saw you try :bigtu: lol

:dance: i think this is the most awesome smiley ever. man this just puts a smile on my face

:crylaugh: Sheena you are too funny! "I don't want no sweet lovin or massagin either" - god that is too funnie!!! Well, I dunno what else to say except can't wait to meet up with you this saturday :)

Initial Diesal
09-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Little advice, read all the material before you answer the question on your test...

Yeah, obviously the neko was talking about the girls hunting him down and not no person with no touchy on the brain. Don't make me go Joe Bombable in here! If your boytoy want to make pretend with fight club he can end up like the sissy slap boxer at Otakon.

Neko don't play that!

Misty Eyes
09-22-2005, 10:52 PM
oh yeah i have another question. how do i approach people i meet there? like if i want a picture with them is it really as simple as saying "hey i love your costume. can i get a picture with you?" if i see someone i recognize from site how do i say hello without seeming creepy? and also, if someone (i.e. a creepy guy) comes up to me and asks me for a hug or anything of that sort, how do i say no without seeming totally rude? i'd like to meet new people, but when it comes to the people that everyone here is warning me about how can i come off as nice while they get my message to bugger off?

DaniiChan
09-22-2005, 11:28 PM
oh yeah i have another question. how do i approach people i meet there? like if i want a picture with them is it really as simple as saying "hey i love your costume. can i get a picture with you?" if i see someone i recognize from site how do i say hello without seeming creepy? and also, if someone (i.e. a creepy guy) comes up to me and asks me for a hug or anything of that sort, how do i say no without seeming totally rude? i'd like to meet new people, but when it comes to the people that everyone here is warning me about how can i come off as nice while they get my message to bugger off?

My Advice: ^_^

Approaching people:
Just the way you said it is fine. Some people freak out and fangirl/boy over a costume, some people approach the people and say they like their costume or give them other compliments, or some just simply ask for the picture! Don't ever think that you are imposing on them because they came in costume expecting to get pictures of them ^_^ There are some situations however if a person is distracted or in a rush, just don't take it personal, sometimes they don't have time for pictures.

Seeing someone from cosplay.com:
I'd say, just go up to them and ask 'Are you on cosplay.com' or 'Haven't I seen you on cosplay.com?' Not only do you get to find out if they're on the website, but you get to meet new people too ^_^ Also, dont feel bad if they say 'no' and you were mistaken. It's happen to me before and although it kind of makes you feel like a fool for asking ^_^;; it's really no big deal.

Hugs/Glomps:
For some reason hugs are a big part of cons. Don't know how that started...but anyway, at the bigger cons no matter where you look you'll find hundreds of different 'Hug Me' signs saying the most creative things. MOST people won't come up to you and randomly hug you (this is different for the guys, guys get randomly hugged more than girls, but I'm not saying it wont happen) Most of the time people will ask if they can hug you. Now you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable with it, not everybody does. Just remember that they're not trying to freak you out or be perverted or anything. I've had people ask to hug me just of because the character I was cosplaying was one of their favorites, and that's usually the case. But if you're really not comfortable with hugs (dont' think hugging someone is like cheating on your boyfriend, because it's all just fun and games ^_^ nothing serious) if you're really not comfortable with hugs, just tell them something along the lines of, "No thanks" or "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable hugging people." But the trick is to do it with a friendly smile so you don't offend them, giving someone a disgusted face might make them angry.

Well I hope that helps, Good luck at your first con :) Im sorry I wont get a chance to meet you, hopefully in the future. And don't be scared by these guys here, they're really harmless =P

adhara
09-23-2005, 08:55 AM
but anyway, at the bigger cons no matter where you look you'll find hundreds of different 'Hug Me' signs saying the most creative things.

Actually, we're not allowing signs at Onna!. I don't think they're allowed at most conventions now, anyway. At least at Otakon I know they are not allowed because soliciting of any nature is illegal in Baltimore. ^^;

But DaniiChan's right in that most people are very nice about being asked for photos. A lot of people love getting photos taken of them, and hope for it when they cosplay. :)

To answer an early question that I didn't see any answer to, you can pick up your badge any of the days of the con. Obviously, registration's not open all day, but it's open during most of the day, so you should be fine to pick up your badge Saturday morning. [Yay for being a staffer...of relative importance! *hides*]

*stalks Marsie to see if she will realize who this is* You're bringing your Neo Princess Mars dress? Man, I haven't even worn my Venus dress in a couple years. >.> And it's home in New Jersey. Blah. Maybe Tsunade will just have to make an appearance. She'll run the reg desk with her scary scary fists. ^^

DaniiChan
09-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Actually, we're not allowing signs at Onna!. I don't think they're allowed at most conventions now, anyway. At least at Otakon I know they are not allowed because soliciting of any nature is illegal in Baltimore. ^^;

Really? I mean, I dont 'care either way, it's not like they force people to hug them. And I usually don't pay attention to the signs anyway. But anyway I saw TONS of signs at Otakon this year, so illegal or not, I guess people still do them ^_^;;. It's kinda funny to band such a thing as signs, eh? (I'm not trying to point blame at you, I'm just saying that the idea in general is silly how it has come to that)

Misty Eyes
09-26-2005, 04:01 PM
does anyone live in the area or nearby? i'd like to know what good restaurants are around at an affordable price. i'm broke from supporting my cosplays so obviously i can't spare THAT much for food when the day comes. lol i can't wait to walk into a family restaurant or something in full costume. anyone wanna bet how long i'll get to stay in there before they kick me out?

Initial Diesal
09-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Really? I mean, I dont 'care either way, it's not like they force people to hug them. And I usually don't pay attention to the signs anyway. But anyway I saw TONS of signs at Otakon this year, so illegal or not, I guess people still do them ^_^;;. It's kinda funny to band such a thing as signs, eh? (I'm not trying to point blame at you, I'm just saying that the idea in general is silly how it has come to that)
I was walking down the street and tempted to take a real Ice Cream sign and use it at the con, but girls probably beat me up if I didn't have any ice cream on me. Man talk about false advertisement, hey thats a good one claim some person with a sign and call it false advertisement. Bang kick to the pride, ooh yeah!

emraldalchemist
09-26-2005, 10:46 PM
hey guys its my first onna 2 i am super nervous im still going crazy with my costume "" does any 1 got any info on makeing a Akimichi Choji costume "" is any 1 going as any naruto characters oh and im being Akimichi Choji because im on the lean side lol.....XD

Aleego
09-26-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm going to onna too, and it's my first con ever. :) I have 2 questions:

1. Do you have to bring 2 costimes if you're going 2 days, cause I only am making one costume :(

2. Is there a costume contest for just judging on the costumes, like where you don't have to stand on a stage and say stuff....if so what is it called?

I am really lost and really new to this so I need help XD thanks

Aleego

DaniiChan
09-26-2005, 11:41 PM
I was walking down the street and tempted to take a real Ice Cream sign and use it at the con, but girls probably beat me up if I didn't have any ice cream on me. Man talk about false advertisement, hey thats a good one claim some person with a sign and call it false advertisement. Bang kick to the pride, ooh yeah!

haha yea, I think you'd get beat up =P I know I'd be angry if I didnt get ice cream I was promised! lol...haha XD

Nice Icont by the way XD

DaniiChan
09-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I'm going to onna too, and it's my first con ever. :) I have 2 questions:

1. Do you have to bring 2 costimes if you're going 2 days, cause I only am making one costume :(

2. Is there a costume contest for just judging on the costumes, like where you don't have to stand on a stage and say stuff....if so what is it called?

I am really lost and really new to this so I need help XD thanks

Aleego

1. nope, ^_^ You don't even have to cosplay if you dont' want to! You can wear one one day, and nothing the other, or just wear the same costumes two days ^^

2. Most cons have what you call a 'Walk On' (I cant remember another name for it right now >.< ) where you get judged on craftsmenship of your costume before hand, and then walk on stage, pause then walk off (or some people do a lil something quick) but you aren't required to speak. however this is a new con and I'm not sure what it will be like.........so you can ask my boss Starwind824 because Im pretty sure he's a judge at the masq.... (I could be wrong cause a lot of the times I forget things o.o)

Which day are you going? Im going Sunday, so if you see me ::points to gallery:: then don't be afraid to say 'hi' ^_^ Just say you're from cosplay.com, and enjoy your first con!!!

cold kittn
09-27-2005, 07:35 AM
My first con was Anime Next 05 and it was so much fun. The only advice I have for you is if you bring disposable cameras bring like 50! lol I'm exaggerating...lol but you will be taking TONS of pictures. I remember at AN I ran out of film by 1pm.

TheAnarCHris
09-27-2005, 12:56 PM
1) There's a Naruto shoot saturday. So far there's like 3 ppl confirm, possibly 4. We'll see how it goes.
2)Not quite too sure what the offical sign up policy for the Onna! cosplay masquerade, but it's Saturday night around 9:30, so ur better off asking the con-ops/information desk when u get to the con. Tell Marisefan that Starwind sent ya, and watch her roll her eyes, hehe.
3) I have a suggestion on how u can make all natural popsiles ID, but I would get sooo thrown of this site so telling u how...

Initial Diesal
09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
1) There's a Naruto shoot saturday. So far there's like 3 ppl confirm, possibly 4. We'll see how it goes.
2)Not quite too sure what the offical sign up policy for the Onna! cosplay masquerade, but it's Saturday night around 9:30, so ur better off asking the con-ops/information desk when u get to the con. Tell Marisefan that Starwind sent ya, and watch her roll her eyes, hehe.
3) I have a suggestion on how u can make all natural popsiles ID, but I would get sooo thrown of this site so telling u how...

We can make cocksicals just like in Otakon, if Otakon can do it any con can.

adhara
09-27-2005, 01:34 PM

Bah, don't tempt me into bringing my Tsunade costume....

As for cosplay, you can read info and register for Masquerade at this link:

http://onnafest.com/live//index.php?option=content&task=view&id=45

That should help. :)

TheAnarCHris
09-27-2005, 09:54 PM

As for cosplay, you can read info and register for Masquerade at this link:

http://onnafest.com/live//index.php?option=content&task=view&id=45

That should help. :)

Tempt Tempt Tempt!!

Then u can my my fiancee *who's cosplaying Sakura* under ur wing after i go rat bastard....WEEE

Ranma Saotome
09-28-2005, 04:02 AM

Bring it... I'll have Shikamaru. :p

Misty Eyes
09-28-2005, 11:00 AM
does anyone know what happened to the mai HiME gathering? apparently i can't find the thread.

and as for my other question, what do i do for food?

BotMan
09-28-2005, 11:45 AM
yea...what did happen to the mai hime thread? o.o;;

Ranma Saotome
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=66654

adhara
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Tempt Tempt Tempt!!

Then u can my my fiancee *who's cosplaying Sakura* under ur wing after i go rat bastard....WEEE

Bring it... I'll have Shikamaru.

you are all evil. ;_; my registration minions have already decreed that i dress as a hogwarts student. so i shall be in my wizardly duds on saturday, most likely. you can blame marsie. ;)

TheAnarCHris
09-28-2005, 02:47 PM
you are all evil. ;_; my registration minions have already decreed that i dress as a hogwarts student. so i shall be in my wizardly duds on saturday, most likely. you can blame marsie. ;)

No problem, the Naruto shoot is Sunday. Check the proper photoshoot list.

Go ninja go!

adhara
09-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Ah, but the last time I had looked at it, it was Saturday. But I have looked at far too many lists in the last few weeks in order to keep my eyes from blurring. @_@

I'll see about bringing it. >.> But I have already promised to wear a different costume on Sunday. ^^;

Misty Eyes
09-29-2005, 10:14 PM
since i'm only gonna be there saturday, i'd like to know how long the cosplay main event will be. and i don't really wanna miss out on it, but i will be leaving that night. so if anyone knows how long it usually runs for, please let me know? =)

Ranma Saotome
09-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Cosplay is from 8:30 to 10. But as you always know that it will start late and end late... It's tradition! XD

Misty Eyes
09-29-2005, 10:47 PM
lol oh no! i just saw the event list on onnafest.com and it says it'll start at 8:30 and end at 1! lol is that for real?!?! ::dies::

Ranma Saotome
09-29-2005, 10:48 PM
*points up* See last post.

kimiko637
09-30-2005, 09:07 AM
lol oh no! i just saw the event list on onnafest.com and it says it'll start at 8:30 and end at 1! lol is that for real?!?! ::dies::

What time are you planning on leaving?

Misty Eyes
10-03-2005, 05:58 PM
i'll probably be leaving at around 11 or hopefully 12. it's up to my mom really.

kimi i don't know if i read your signature right. but does it mean your wearing 4 costumes? lol people call ME crazy cause i plan on wearing 3, lol you've outdone me

kimiko637
10-03-2005, 09:48 PM
i'll probably be leaving at around 11 or hopefully 12. it's up to my mom really.

kimi i don't know if i read your signature right. but does it mean your wearing 4 costumes? lol people call ME crazy cause i plan on wearing 3, lol you've outdone me

Sheena, i plan to wear only 3 like you lol, what i dun wear i guess my younger sister will wear, but she thinks it's too much of a hassle for her to change, so i dunno.

But i'll be wearing the chi outfit, one egl doll outfit and the condor heroe white dress outfit.

Sakura will be wearing 2, that's if she feels like being a good girl and letting me change her into the other one LOL...

In any case, i can't wait til saturday!!!

Misty Eyes
10-03-2005, 10:15 PM
hahaha did rich decide to be hideki yet or is he still refusing to cosplay with us?

does anyone know how much money i should bring? i'm only going for one day and i don't really plan on buying anything. but i want to have more than enough money so i can eat 2 meals through out the day.

kimiko637
10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
hahaha did rich decide to be hideki yet or is he still refusing to cosplay with us?

does anyone know how much money i should bring? i'm only going for one day and i don't really plan on buying anything. but i want to have more than enough money so i can eat 2 meals through out the day.

We're planning on finding places to eat around there :)

adhara
10-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I do believe that the hotel is connected to the mall right next door. [Unless the landscape of Newark has drastically changed in the last few years. ^^;] So that would be a good place to find food pretty cheap. Other good ideas is to bring breakfast bars and juice boxes, since those are meant to be carted around and eaten at room temp. Plus, if you're staying in the hotel, you can always get ice to cool your juice/soda/bottled drink of choice.

Misty Eyes
10-05-2005, 03:01 PM
ohh yeah i completely forgot about the newport mall! lol but does that mean i'll be gonig into the mall with my costume on?

kimiko637
10-05-2005, 06:04 PM
ohh yeah i completely forgot about the newport mall! lol but does that mean i'll be gonig into the mall with my costume on?

Hmmm... you could take it off if you want, up to you, i think i'll just keep mine on maybe lol *shrugs*

Ranma Saotome
10-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Mall next door? What mall? Isn't that Penn Station itself? O_o

Aleego
10-05-2005, 11:52 PM
What time should one arrive? Just wondering...

Misty Eyes
10-07-2005, 10:48 PM
hahaha i'll be there as soon as the place opens. but for anyone who hasn't left their home yet to connecticut, just wanted to say i'll be there sunday. so i can meet everyone else who said they'd only be able to attend that day =D

BotMan
10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
nooo i cant make it!!!! T.T;;; oh well..tell me how it is!! and take alots and alots of picy too T.T*cries*

DaniiChan
10-08-2005, 08:13 AM
hahaha i'll be there as soon as the place opens. but for anyone who hasn't left their home yet to connecticut, just wanted to say i'll be there sunday. so i can meet everyone else who said they'd only be able to attend that day =D

Oooo yay! :D Ill be there Sunday ^^