PDA

View Full Version : Playing Go at Cnanime?

tamahome_no_mik
08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Are there going to be a mass amount of Go boards at cnanime? i know there was a rather large section of go boards at anime north with people playing all the time, but i was wondering if there will be something similar at cnanime this year.

i've learned how to play go with a few of my friends, and would like to try my hand against other people.
Please let me know by posting here if they have the boards set up.
thx :square:

chaos_magician
08-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Sadly I don't think CN has ever held a Go event where you can learn the game basics..I remember North and yes it was pretty fun learning even though I'm a complete beginner..I also found the Hikaru no go panel quite interesting and informative ...I couldn't shut up and had to ask a zillion questions..it was pretty funny and annoying at the same time...I am a big fan of the show and would like to learn alot more about the game so when I become pretty decent at it I will muster up the courage to challenge someone someday.. I really hope CN hosts this event in the near future...

tamahome_no_mik
08-22-2005, 11:13 PM
maybe we can arrange to bring our go boards (if people have them, i do) to the con at the same time on one of the days. saturday seems to be the day when everyone is there, but will it be to busy?
i'm thinking if this is possible for about 6pm on saturday, provided there are enough people, this could be really fun.

how many people own go boards that are willing to bring them for a gathering? mine comes with a rule book so i can help teach a few people.
i'm up for it if anyone else is. Post to let me know, maybe we can organize this further for a fun event that many will enjoy!

TribalButterfly
08-23-2005, 05:55 AM
I've never played Go before :( but I know that there is supposed to be a Yu-Gi-Oh! tournoment at CN this year (if that helps anyone out).
My brother was supposed to be a jugde in it :p

tamahome_no_mik
08-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Hmm. But i wanna play go!
lol its fun, but the games can take hours (if your using the standard 19x19 board and not the 9x9)
i'm willing to try to teach if anyone wants to learn. but i also have to find a lot more people with go boards to do so.

Kaijugal
08-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Once again. CNA is part of an EXPO. It's not a CONVENTION an therefore does not offer the type of programing Anime North does. There will most likely be NO Go area at CNA. If you want to see one added I suggest you run the idea by the Gaming Co-ordinator Justin.

Vicky
08-23-2005, 02:57 PM
I <3 you, Dawn *L*

chaos_magician
08-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmmm I think everyone will be lining up for the masquerade on Saturday around that time..there's always a huge friken line-up so ppl usually get there early..maybe while ppl wait in the line we can play a quick game of go...Friday or Sunday would prob be better..

Amy the Yu
08-23-2005, 10:19 PM
General reply to random assortment of comments made so far on this thread.

If you really wish to bring a board, I've seen small portable ones that fold up (like a lot of chess boards) being dragged all over. I won't be bringing any cause all the ones we have in the house are at least a good 20 lbs and I can barely lift them without having to actually move around. -_-;;

Instruction books are rarely good enough to teach much except the insanely bare basic rules. It's a game of strategy, so learning by reading a book is nearly ever helpful unless you're trying to play out a very very specific senario. I've been teaching beginners' go for years so that's spoken from experience (as well as my Dad who's the highest ranked player in the country and has over a dozen go books published).

If you just set up a board and start playing like some people were doing at DTAC, I doubt Hobbystar could care unless you're in a really awkward location (ie. in front of the escalators), but if you want to set up an entire area, that's almost guarenteed to get Hobbystar breathing down your throat.

tamahome_no_mik
08-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Hmm good point. I dont want to bring my Go board if no one else is going to brign one or play.
Is anyone else bringing one so i know where i stand here?
if anyone else is going to bring one let me know and we can plan a time and place.
^^