PDA

View Full Version : An "affordable" full-frame DSLR announced

ZiggyB
08-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Canon recently announced the Canon EOS 5D. It's a 12.8 megapixel DSLR that's full frame.

Meaning, there's no 1.6x FOV crop that happens with cameras such as the Canon EOS 350D/Rebel XT or the Canon EOS 20D.

And "affordable" being very relative in this case, as it's listed as $3,300 USD. But considering the only other full-frame DSLR (that I know of) is the Canon 1Ds MKII which is US $7,000. 8-/

What do you guys think? Anyone want to make the "jump" to full frame, if you're not there already? Or is this still not "affordable" yet? X-D

Personally, I'm still pretty happy with my 350D and it's 1.6x FOV, but what do I know right? :)

Here's some pre-production previews and some commentary on what this baby means for digital photography.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/5d-announce.shtml

phaedrus
08-25-2005, 09:07 PM
If I had $3300 that I HAD to spend on photography, I'd go medium format before I went DSLR.

zoinomiko
08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
If I weren't still paying off my 20D I'd consider it. But even then, I think I'd upgrade my lenses before I doubled my body investment. (also, it would depend on how it handles high ISO)

Admin
08-25-2005, 09:29 PM
You can get a used Canon 1Ds (not the mkII) for about $4000 in some places and that's full-frame too.

But, the new 5D does look nice. Part of me would like to change to it because the noise is most likely much cleaner than the 1Ds (which requires a bit more post-processing on anything over ISO400), but the other part of me would miss the 45-point autofocus. Shooting with the 1-series bodies is a dream because with a good lens the camera pretty much focuses and shoots the moment you press down on the button. Additionally the 1/200 flash sync would probably stop me from buying it completely, because a lot of the studio work I do is synched at 1/250 sec.

Regardless, if I get a hold of one and it feels right, I might sell my 1Ds and consider the 5D a temp until Canon releases their next generation in a couple of years. I think the image quality will be just as good if not better than the 1Ds.

On the 1.6x crop for the 20D/350D - there are actually a few advantages to it, especially the fact that you're usually using the sweet spot of the lens throughout the frame. One great example is the Canon 24/1.4 lens, which shows considerable distortion wide-open on a full frame camera, but rocks as about a 38mm lens on a 1.6 because the crop cuts out the bad parts.

gmontem
08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
I bet the Admin will turn down the 5D after spending some time with it. It's pretty hard to go back once you've used an EOS-1 series body. I know I can't and the 20D feels like a toy to me. The noise on the 5D shouldn't be much of a concern since it looks like all they did was take the 1DmkII sensor (1.3x) and made it full-frame (they have similar pixel pitch).

raye
08-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Kodak made a line of full frame digital SLRs until recently for both Canon and Nikon mounts.

The 5D is very appealing for the price. I almost wish I was in the Canon camp right now but I am still waiting for Nikon.

jtnishi
08-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I'm much more curious about how they're going to try to market this thing. I'm with the opposition on this one. The 4MP advantage might be nice (over the 20D and the 1DMarkII & 1DMarkIIN) and full frame helps if you shoot wide or shallow, but how this is a competitor against the 20D is beyond me. It's priced much closer to the 1D. I'm guessing the people looking in the range of the 20D or the XT are not going to be looking at the 5D. The only angle I can think of is trying to market this to the people who want wide angle or 12MP but can't afford a brand new 1Ds Mark II. But that's a limited market.

dmk26
08-26-2005, 04:23 PM
I'm guessing they'll probably try and phase out the 20D in the next year or so, and replace it with the 5D (assuming they drop the price a little bit). The 20D and the Rebel XT are too close in functionality that most people don't think the added 500 bucks for the 20D is worth it.

It is interesting to note that the 5D doesn't support EF-S lenses.

gmontem
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Canon has been selling film bodies at different prices and feature sets back in the day so I doubt they'll phase out the EOS-20D line up. They need to cater those people (like the nature/bird folk) who want the 1.6x cropped sensor and a body better than the Rebel. Similarly the EOS-5D will probably open the door to a better built body, like a digital version of the EOS-3.

ZiggyB
08-28-2005, 03:23 AM
I'd think I'd have to agree with the people who said that they'd rather spend the money on good lenses. :)

Is there any consideration to the form factor the 5D? The luminous landscaps writeup talked about the 5D being signifgantly smaller and lighter then the 1Ds. Having just held admin's rig, I can sort of understand that. :)

Or does the body not matter as long as the photos are good?

jtnishi
08-28-2005, 04:02 AM
I'd think I'd have to agree with the people who said that they'd rather spend the money on good lenses. :)

Is there any consideration to the form factor the 5D? The luminous landscaps writeup talked about the 5D being signifgantly smaller and lighter then the 1Ds. Having just held admin's rig, I can sort of understand that. :)

Or does the body not matter as long as the photos are good?

Well, granted, the 5D is close in size to the 20D, and the 20D is probably the right balance of heft & size for comfort for a number of people. That said, if I were thinking about spending $3000 on a camera, I would have to think form factor would have to come below factors such as image quality, lens complement, and those other pragmatic issues. One would think weight & balance does matter if you cannot hold the equipment right, because it would have a direct impact on image quality (if you can't hold the rig steady, it'll affect the steadiness of shots, presumably). But other than that, do you know anyone who has a $3000 SLR as a fashion statement? :D

TomodachiFriend
08-30-2005, 11:36 AM
Has anyone seen samples from the 5D yet? They simply look amazing at ISO1600. I'm not sure until someone makes measurements and more testing, but they look even better than pictures taken with the 20D at high ISO.

ZiggyB
08-30-2005, 06:03 PM
DPReview has samples up:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos5d/page11.asp

But they are from the beta firmware, so it's not finalized and could change when the product goes gold.

JadeCat
08-31-2005, 12:37 PM
If I weren't still paying off my 20D I'd consider it. But even then, I think I'd upgrade my lenses before I doubled my body investment. (also, it would depend on how it handles high ISO)

I think the 20D is good enough, and $3k I'd be getting additional lenses. However, I did see reviews of the 5D and sample images from one of the local reviewers..and WOW.

Is it worth spending $3k? I could get 2 decent lenses w/ that, and maybe have enough left over for costuming supplies.

zoinomiko
08-31-2005, 03:35 PM
Is it worth spending $3k? I could get 2 decent lenses w/ that, and maybe have enough left over for costuming supplies.

Probably some of it depends on what you're currently shooting. I'm shooting with the kit lens and Canon's cheapest 75-300mm, so lenses are a no brainer for me (if it weren't a moot point because I'm broke). But if I was just trying to decide whether to upgrade from the 70-200mm f/4 L to the f/2.8, it might be a different story.

jtnishi
08-31-2005, 04:15 PM
I think the 20D is good enough, and $3k I'd be getting additional lenses. However, I did see reviews of the 5D and sample images from one of the local reviewers..and WOW.

The 20D is indeed probably good enough for the majority of people who want to get into DSLRs. The only place where the 20D might not be good enough are for some professionals [sports shooters, for example, really benefit from the 1D's speed], and those who like shooting wide angle. Hell, for many, it's overkill. The vast majority of people obviously don't need to use SLR cameras, and for the ones that do, the Canon DRebel & Nikon D50/D70 lines can probably meet most needs.

I don't doubt the camera body is worth spending $3k for those who need it. The key is whether you need it.

Rosieal
09-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I am not certain if there is a thread about this, but I was wondering...

Does the body make a lot of difference, or is it the lens? For instance, if I do purchase a 5D with an 18-55 mm zoom lens and take pictures with it and then compare it to pictures taken by a 350D with a nice, sharp, prime lens such as the 50/1.4, which one would look better in general (as in in every aspect)?

Admin
09-19-2005, 06:16 PM
I am not certain if there is a thread about this, but I was wondering...

Does the body make a lot of difference, or is it the lens? For instance, if I do purchase a 5D with an 18-55 mm zoom lens and take pictures with it and then compare it to pictures taken by a 350D with a nice, sharp, prime lens such as the 50/1.4, which one would look better in general (as in in every aspect)?

I have a 1Ds and a 10D as a backup. If I had to choose would rather shoot with my 35/1.4 Lens on the 10D than my 28-135 zoom on the 1Ds.

The lenses are the most important piece of the puzzle. Additionally, they don't fall in value nearly as much as the camera bodies do. I think when it comes down to it, the 5D would give you some great extra features and the added resolution, however when you use a crisp lens with any decent camera you are going to notice the most difference. The sensor on the camera is only going to resolve as nicely as the lens can send the light to it in the first place, so using a mediocre lens will usually turn out a mediocre picture, regardless of the magic megapixels number.

For the web and for 8x10 prints, 6-8mp is more than enough. Save money on the body and get a few good lenses instead. Then two years from now when the 5D costs $1500 or less, you already have the good lenses to "upgrade" your camera body into.