PDA

View Full Version : 06 Cosplay Registration Information from the Cosplay Coordiantor!!!

marsie
08-29-2005, 10:02 AM
I will be accepting registration for the masquarde, Hall Cosplay and Craftmenship, early for memembers of Cosplay.com. Why because I love you all so much!!!

The Pre-Reg on the main site won't take place until November! So hurry to get your name/group in early.

Why so many catagories? Well. This year we are trying to do some new and different things to make the masqurade run better not just for the audience but for the cosplayers as well. So we have three different catagories for people to enter to make things flow and lets everyone the proper chance to shine. I will be explaining each one below.

Hall: This is for Newbies, People who just made their first costume. Who are still getting used to the thread and needle. Ghetto cosplayers also need to sign up for this one.

Craftmenship This is for the design, the construction, and the overall accuracy of your cosplay. Reference Pictures are a MUST. There will be no walk ons for the Masquade. Instead we will have a fashion show so everyone can walk the cat walk and show off their hard work. All judging will be done prior to the fashion show.

Masquade: This is for the performance. The judges on here will be looking for content and performance. All our judges will be ones who are experts in theatre and cosplay judging reform.

Junior: This is for our young cosplayers. 13 and under. So I doubt many on this site will join this but....It is for

A thing to remember all skits must go through me and two others. And they must be PG-13 I can not stress this enough. I will not allow anything on that I deem unsuitable for a 10 year old child to watch. If I see you sneaking things on, I will personally pull you off the stage. So keep it clean and cute.

You can only be in ONE event. So chose wisely.

Forms:

Junior:
Character Name:
Your Age:
Parent/Guardians Name:
**Must be accompanied by an Adult at time of Judging**

Hall Cosplay:
Character Name:
Your Age:

Craftsmenship:
Character Name:
Your Age
Catagory: Novice Journyman Expert
A brief statement saying you 100% created this costume and that it is your own work and not that of another person:

Masquarde:
Real Names of all involved:
Group Name:
Skit Title:
Ages of all participants:
Will you need sound help:
A brief statment that you understand all rules and the rating of the skits.

Email them to me at this address:ohayoconcosplay.com

Miyabi-
09-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Marsie,

I've been meaning to ask you a few things regarding the rules of the cosplay masq. I think some of them need elaborated on and I was hoping I could talk to you about it...you can leave a message here or email me. (I PM'd you my email addy)

Black_Knight
09-09-2005, 06:20 PM
Since this is PG-13, can we make a reference to Futanari in a skit?

marsie
09-09-2005, 10:41 PM
I will have to see the whole skit before I can tell you yes or no.

It depends on the context.

ParaPara*Tsu
09-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Hall Cosplay:
Character Name: Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Taisen/Sakura Wars)
Your Age: 14

^^

Amy the Yu
09-11-2005, 12:19 AM
Probably a stupid question, but as I'm used to the judging methods from Anime North and CN Anime (and Canadian cons seem to be quite different in running their hall costume and masquerades), I'm a bit lost.

Is it possible to be judged solely on design and construction without the accuracy part?

I would like to enter for craftsmanship judging, but for my costume it really only works for design and construction. It won't be terribly accurate cause I'm basically altering a costume to make it more elaborate than the original design in some places and less in other places. It's more or less a combination of two outfits, but the one with lesser influence in the design is proving retardedly difficult to find a reference picture for (since I had to pause a music video in order to check out the details and work off that).

I can bring reference pictures of the original outfit that the entire thing had grown out of, but there may be enough alterations that it won't look the same since I physically can't wear all the jewelry the original design would require cause I have some severe base metal allergies and buying hypoallergenic materials to make it all from is a bit too much for me to afford. As much as I try to dedicate myself to the craft, I'm not willing to go through 2 weeks of heavy rashing for 1 day of costuming. >_<

marsie
09-11-2005, 05:04 PM
I would bring the design and explain what you did. I would say you BASED it on this outfit and then from there show your construction.

NecromanticChii
09-15-2005, 12:42 PM
I am glad that there is an early registration, for members. Now will we be informed, of our time slots when everyone else gets theirs, or will we be put in order as we register?

Lyn
09-15-2005, 03:29 PM
For the Craftsmanship contest, will everyone be judged by their level or all together? I know it varies at some cons. Some have just a best overall while others have winners by levels. And what exactly type of statement do you want from the proof statement. Like just one sentence or like a big explanation?

marsie
09-15-2005, 11:55 PM
They will be given at con, so stop by the cosplay table when you pick up you badge.

Cosplay.con will get priority times.

We will be using ICG standards. So it will be by level, and trust me, we will know if you have downed played your level.

There will be a best overall but that will not be from someone who won any of ther other catagories. Does that make sense?

NecromanticChii
09-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok, thankyou for letting me know.

dchan
10-05-2005, 06:59 PM
You can only be in ONE event. So chose wisely.

Just curious as to why?

I understand the hall vs on-stage thing, but every convention I've ever been to gives you the option of being judged for craftsmanship, performance, or both.

Thanks ahead of time =^_^=

marsie
10-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Because too many people last year complained about one group getting all the awards.

It is just allowing the spread the love around.

dchan
10-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Because too many people last year complained about one group getting all the awards.

It is just allowing the spread the love around.

I guess just looking at a few photo coverage sites from last year I don't see it o.0 but if the fans demand it, oh well.

To be curious, but blunt...

Was it fans complaining or other competitors getting pissy because someone was better at doing two things at once than they are at doing one thing?

marsie
10-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Actually there is a whole thread here about it. Which is where I got all the major complaints about last years cosplay.

The live events head and I have been working closly with several people. Including different Cosplay Chairs from other cons, the ICG standards and polls from different cosplayers.

This was a research study on my part. This is what I consider most fair and quiet frankly, the way things should be. Around 6 months of studying.

Craftsmenship should be for those who want to have their costume critiqued by qualified individuals.

The skits should be about the ability to put on a decent skit, acting, singing, dancing and script. Not how you look in a costume. That is a small part of it but I want the focus to be on the act not what you are wearing. I have seen several Masq and seen GREAT acts with Okay costumeing get passed by for mediocre acts with great costuming.

Now if we are done....

Lady
10-06-2005, 04:09 PM
I'll back Marsie up on this one.

I think one big problem that I've seen over and over post-cons is people feeling like there was favoritism - especially when one group tends to sweep the awards. By limiting each competitor to one event, no one can receive all the awards, and more people are able to receive the recognition that they deserve for all the hard work they put into their costumes and performances.

Also, as Marsie has said, craftsmanship is about your skills at recreating a character's costume, while the skits should be about the performance itself. Nice outfits for the skits are a bonus, certainly (it's always nice to ooh and aah at pretty things), but it should be more about the skill of the actors and their story. By separating the two into distinct categories and events, I hope we can level the playing field a bit and make things as fair and pleasant as possible.

I hope that makes sense! If not, I can try to elaborate some more*nods*

Amy the Yu
10-07-2005, 02:50 AM
I've been kind of confused by the whole pick and choose situation too.

While I can see that some smaller masquerades/hall contests may have the issue with the same people winning multiple awards since a smaller scale competition would mean fewer prizes to go around, I think it's still unfair to people who are talented in both areas.

A lot of the people who enter in masqs that have worksmanship as well will win 2 awards because they have experience in both creating good costumes as well as good skits.

Conventions that I've been to which allowed people to participate in one or both competitions always had the rule that you can only win one award in each judging, so the maximum number of awards you can possibly win is 2, one for craftsmanship and one for presentation.

The two are judged seperately by two groups of qualified judges, so there is no bias or influence in judging. I've never heard any complaints from that method. There have been groups who have won presentation awards with minimal costumes, but fantastic skits and walk ons (no skit at all) who have won craftsmanship awards for excellent construction. I've also seen people who have won both, and everyone in the audience as well as fellow competitors have supported the decisions...even the competitors who did not win awards.

marsie
10-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Listen I am not really sure why anyone is talking about this.

This is the way the awards are going to be. If it doesn't work out we will think about changing it for next year. But this is way things are going to be. PERIOD.

I honestly do not see how any judge can give anyone an award for craftsmenship by seeing someone on stage. There really isn't the time to do pre-judging for craftsmenship AND reviewing the skit.

We have a limited amount of time to do skits for the masq, around 26 skits total. We have other events such as Junior Cosplayer event, and the Fashion show. Time is an expensive commodity.

It isn't unfair to the talented people. Then it isn't fair to the ones who are only talented at one. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. If the most you can win is 2 awards, then you would sweep the awards that we have.

We are only giving out trophies to the top winners. How fair would it be for say Lady to win, Craftsmenship and using a similar costume win the Masq. So then she gets both trophies.

If she is excellent at both, then she needs to go for the Masq. But she knows that she would have to have an excellent skit as well as a well-down costume.

Winners will not be chosen simply because of the costume alone. Which is what has happened in the past with Ohayocon.

Like I said, check out the thread that was here, and you can see what the main problems with last year were.

This will be the first year for Cosplay at Ohayocon being organized and together. So think of this as a second year Con cosplay event. We learned from last years mistakes and we are taking steps to fix them. If they don't work this year, then we will again, take complaints(there will be a judges, MC and Cosplay Coordinator(me) panel, that we can talk about things that went wrong, what went right, how to get to Cosplay Judging and MCing) and re-evalutate.

This is a learning experience. Just try to act mature and see how it works.

Amy the Yu
10-09-2005, 10:08 PM
I honestly do not see how any judge can give anyone an award for craftsmenship by seeing someone on stage. There really isn't the time to do pre-judging for craftsmenship AND reviewing the skit.

We have a limited amount of time to do skits for the masq, around 26 skits total. We have other events such as Junior Cosplayer event, and the Fashion show. Time is an expensive commodity.All conventions I've been to that allow people to enter in both contests (which is all the cons I've been to so far) will have seperate judges for craftsmenship and the masquerade. This way, there's no bias from one to the other. This also reduced the amount of work required of the judges.

CN Anime had set a limit of 59 entries for their masq this year and craftsmanship judging is actually PART of the masq for this one (and not a seperate event). From check in til the very end of the masq, it only took about 3 hours (the first hour of which was solely backstage before any of the skits began).

It isn't unfair to the talented people. Then it isn't fair to the ones who are only talented at one. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. If the most you can win is 2 awards, then you would sweep the awards that we have.

This is a learning experience. Just try to act mature and see how it works.I did specify that having the same people win only applying to smaller masqs. Larger masquerades (ie. the above mentioned masq) will usually have more awards than just best in class (often smaller awards like ribbons for lesser impressive awards than best in class).

If the person's the best in both categories, then I think they should receive credit in both. If they're only the best in one, then they take the award for one. There's no damnation in that.

I was never being whiny and immature. I was just bringing up a compare and contrast case with other masquerades. A lot of people I know who are going to Ohayocon were confused over this compared to what we're used to, so I made a post to try to clear up some of our confusion. I wasn't spazzing that the masquerade is horrible and you should change everything.

marsie
10-12-2005, 10:46 AM
All conventions I've been to that allow people to enter in both contests (which is all the cons I've been to so far) will have seperate judges for craftsmenship and the masquerade. This way, there's no bias from one to the other. This also reduced the amount of work required of the judges.

We actually have two sets of judges this year, experienced cosplayers in different areas(one is a wig expert, one is a prop expert, three sewing experts) will be doing the craftsmenship and a totally different set will be doing the Masq(These are theater and drama people). There is no bias, the people I chose are ones I trust, and know would do their work to the fullest.

CN Anime had set a limit of 59 entries for their masq this year and craftsmanship judging is actually PART of the masq for this one (and not a seperate event). From check in til the very end of the masq, it only took about 3 hours (the first hour of which was solely backstage before any of the skits began). We have a limit of 30 enteries for the Masq. PERIOD. Since we only have the area for total of 3 hours.

We are also doing a catwalk for the Craftsmenship people, during the judges time. We are also doing a special judging for junior cosplayers, and they get a special walk on stage, and prizes. All of that will take time.

I did specify that having the same people win only applying to smaller masqs. Larger masquerades (ie. the above mentioned masq) will usually have more awards than just best in class (often smaller awards like ribbons for lesser impressive awards than best in class).

But unfortunatly I have to spend a large part of my budget reserving rooms for runthroughs and the set up. So I have a small budget in which to purchase prizes with. Ribbons, cost money, trophies are VERY expensive, certificates are not cheap. I have other expenses that don't include prizes, so I want to make sure that the awards I do give out are going to be worthy, and not cheap and chinzy. I would rather make sure the top winners get trophies (such as the group winners all get trophies instead of just one) then all the cheap little awards.

If the judges want to give out awards, that is on their own budget. You are not going to see "most kawaii" or "Marsie's Judge Award" at this con, unless the judges elect to do so on their own.

If the person's the best in both categories, then I think they should receive credit in both. If they're only the best in one, then they take the award for one. There's no damnation in that.

Sorry, but sometimes, life isn't fair, and even though you are the best in both you don't always get what you want and get recognition for them both.

This is what we as a con agreed was best. It isn't going to change, bring these things up AFTER the Masq and after the judging, and see how things go. It is silly to argue about something that hasn't happened.

There would be bias. The same people in the different con areas are always winning the awards. I know, I staff several cons a year. EVERY year the same people put out wonderful costumes, and put on amusing skits. But sometimes, there are people who do ALMOST as good as those "Stars". Someone who was off by one or two points. Doesn't that person deserve to win something once in awhile?

I was never being whiny and immature. I was just bringing up a compare and contrast case with other masquerades. A lot of people I know who are going to Ohayocon were confused over this compared to what we're used to, so I made a post to try to clear up some of our confusion. I wasn't spazzing that the masquerade is horrible and you should change everything.
I wasn't talking about you in particular. I was saying that to everyone as a whole.

All cons do things differently, no con will EVER do things the same. This is my chance to make cosplay different, fun and more enjoyable for all involved. If it doesn't work, then their is next year to change and regroup.

It is funny, but you two are the ONLY ones who have said anything to me, in a negative aspect. I have recieved several compliments on the way this has been thought out and planned. I think once you get there and see how things are set up you will agree with me on this style. Especially since the volume we are expecting this year, is much greater than we have ever had before.

For once, trust that the people planning are not trying to screw over those who are talented, we are trying to make sure EVERYONE has a good experience in the cosplay events.

Bobbi
10-13-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm also going to back up the current situation.

Just trust us a little. ;)

Yeah, entering in both categories can be fun. But Marsie wants to try something different. She. and the judges put a lot of time and effort into planning this so that the event will be run as fairly as possible.

I for one would much rather see Marsie's ideas go over well, as opposed to a bagillion other conventions I've attended where the same few people all get the awards... and everyone leaves disgruntled and unhappy.

If you have an absolutely wonderful skit idea in mind, enter for the masqurade.

If you worked your booty off on your costume and want to be judged on that, enter the fashion show.

Just prioritize on this one. Show off what you feel is best or what you feel is more likely to win an award. That should make the choice easier. :)

bunnybeth
10-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Quick question: will there be at-con registration for the craftsmenship at all? I am once again thinking about entering, but due to a personal circumstance, it won't be until much closer to the con that I can determine if my costume will be able to be worn. TIA!

marsie
10-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes there will be, at con reg. This is just a chance for you to get the "prefered" times.

Miyabi-
10-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Hmmm...I think the way that Ohayo's cosplay masq is being done is VERY fair. Limiting who can enter what costume how many times gives other people more of a chance. It gets boring seeing one group sweep all the masq categories year after year.

Kia
10-13-2005, 10:11 PM
Yes there will be, at con reg. This is just a chance for you to get the "prefered" times.
I'm a bit confused. I've never been to a convention with this kind of judging before ... Craftsmanship has time slots? Could I get a brief run down of how this works during the con. I'd just like a better idea of what I'm planing to get myself into. ^_^

Bobbi
10-13-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm a bit confused. I've never been to a convention with this kind of judging before ... Craftsmanship has time slots? Could I get a brief run down of how this works during the con. I'd just like a better idea of what I'm planing to get myself into. ^_^

Okay, if you went to Ohayo last year and entered the masqurade, everyone was told to be in the judging room at about 11:00 am or something like that. I forget. Well, everyone who wanted to compete had to sit in there for hours, thus missing out on events and other things. For example, my group had to leave because we had a paid photoshoot with Kyle and we hadn't been judged yet. We had been in there for 2-3 hours! So we figured since we paid money for a photoshoot it would be more important to go to that instead of the masqurade. It's just silly to keep all those people waiting for such a long time, so that's why Marsie decided to change it.

By timeslots, you can sign up for a specific time when you and your group will be meeting with the judges. So you can sign up to be judged during the 12:00 timeslot and you'll just have to be there for a half hour or less, instead of 4 hours of just sitting there and doing nothing.

So... if you know for certian that there's special events you want to go to, make sure you get there early to sign up! That way you don't miss it!

marsie
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
If you still are confused pm me. ^_^

Last year didn't go well with the judging, this looks to be a good way of ensuring you get judged.

But if you DON'T show up for your time, you will not get judged.

Sadira Pookie
11-15-2005, 12:09 AM
i'm glad there will be time slots this year for judging, our group had to be pulled from the line and moved around so we could make our photoshoot. I felt horrible cutting so many people in line. >< I think having time slots just makes life much easier and allows us all to enjoy the rest of the con.

just making sure, there will be time slots for those that need to run their skit by the judges as well? i'm hoping i understood that right.

and hopefully things will be organized! yay for ohayocon!

kalajessta
11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm planning on entering this year for cosplay, but I do want to do a skit. But the thing is, I'm having difficulty finding people to take part in it. Now if I do find people to be in it, can I be judged on by my self or as the group?

Miyabi-
11-15-2005, 06:10 PM
You can only be judged for either a skit OR craftsmanship.

Sooo...if you spent a lot of time on your costume and want recognized for your costume itself..enter craftsmanship on your own because skit-only entries costumes are only a small factor on what you're getting judged by. (because it's mostly the performance itself that counts)

Buuut...If you want to be recognized for your skit...enter as a group in the masq.

I hope I made sense...if not I'll try to clarify. ^_^

kalajessta
11-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks. I just hope I can drag people in that would do it. When is registration for cosplay at Ohayo Con?

Miyabi-
11-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Hmm..good question!

*looks to Marsie* We have that one set yet? ^_^

marsie
11-15-2005, 11:32 PM
It has been on going for quiet sometime...since I posted this thread.

But you can sign up at the con. The time will be available in your book when you reg at the con.

kalajessta
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
So at the registration table?

marsie
11-16-2005, 06:45 PM
At the COSPLAY reg table

kalajessta
11-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks!

bunnybeth
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Will the cosplay reg table be easy to find/ well marked? Because the general info table last year seemed clueless about all things cosplay.

marsie
11-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes well...that is because last years cosplay wasn't well organized. I am planning on having it together in one area.

We are working on layout at our next meeting this weekend. So I hope to have an answer for you this weekend!

Lady
11-18-2005, 09:51 AM
Will the cosplay reg table be easy to find/ well marked? Because the general info table last year seemed clueless about all things cosplay.

Very easy to find! You know those metal detectors? Get one and set it to "Sexy". Follow the signal till you reach "Maximum Sexiness" and you'll be there!

And yes, as Marsie said, we should have some more info for people after this weekend's meetings!

Miyabi-
11-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Very easy to find! You know those metal detectors? Get one and set it to "Sexy". Follow the signal till you reach "Maximum Sexiness" and you'll be there!

And yes, as Marsie said, we should have some more info for people after this weekend's meetings!

Lmao! Man, if it's allowed, we're so putting a giant sign that says "Maximum Sexiness" and hanging it above the cosplay registration table with arrows pointing down to us now. :thumbsup:

marsie
11-20-2005, 09:26 AM
It will only work if Sara and I are around cause we are the sex. *does a growl*

Miyabi-
11-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Oh and I'm not? *offended!* lol

SongofAmazon
11-23-2005, 01:21 AM
I just sent in my registration. Whoo! Collecting real names from people online is unbelievably difficult. ^^''