PDA

View Full Version : JCCC Hallowe'en Dance: Does Anyone know if they are holding it this year?

Allin
08-30-2005, 01:38 PM
JCCC Hallowe'en Dance: Does Anyone know if they are holding it this year?

I heard they had it last year. And they had tones of fun. With J-rock/pop music and Anime karaoke with general dance party in costumes.
I thought JCCC would hold it again this year, so I wend to their online site and checked their calendar for Oct., but it wasn't planned in it. T_T

So I've basically sent them an e-mail saying "PLEASE hold another Hallowe'en Dance this year, if not tell me the reason why". I'll post their answer if I get it back.

If any of you guys know about it, please let me know.

Alexia Ishtar
08-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Um....what exactly is this and where was it last year??? *confused*

Allin
08-30-2005, 06:25 PM
This is Hallowe'en Dance party hosted by Japanese Canadian Cultural Center in downtown Toronto, and held at the JCCC building last year. I only heard about it and never been to it, but i saw some pictures from there floating around.

Now i'm getting the feeling it was only a one time thing. *sniff*

The Japanese Canadian Cultural Center Home Page:
http://www.jccc.on.ca/

Seed-chan
08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Actually, it's organized by ye good ol' Anime North staff (or people a part of that staff) and there was one at Valentine's as well last--- er... this? year.

I know plenty of us hope for another one ^___^

Squall1882
08-30-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's up to the JCCC, it wouldn't be posted on their site because basically all they do is rent out, or donate their space to the AN team and in return all proceeds go to the JCCC (if I remember correctly). You'd need to track down those of the AN staff that organize such an event and ask them.

Mage
08-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Now i'm getting the feeling it was only a one time thing. *sniff*

There have been a few of these dances (not necessarily all during Hallowe'en); they just don't happen every year. =)

Sarcasm-hime
08-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Yes, we've had a number of dances at the JCCC over the years. I don't know yet if there will be one for Halloween yet. Tamara was the one who usually was the liaison with the JCCC, but she's recently moved to BC. So I'll have to make inquiries about it.

Allin
08-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Thank you all for taking time to reply. XD

I see. So it's AN staff ppl o_O
I hope they aren't terribly busy this year to organize another one.
Cuz I'd love to go to one of those parties!

If they do hold another one, please let me know,
and my eternal gratitude is for thee. *bows*

TribalButterfly
08-31-2005, 07:43 PM
Can any one tell me, roughly how much the cover charge to get into the dance is?
I've never attended before.

Are most people who attend, dressed in cosplay? I'm assuming they are.

Chibik3r0
08-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Can any one tell me, roughly how much the cover charge to get into the dance is?
I've never attended before.

Are most people who attend, dressed in cosplay? I'm assuming they are.

Yeah it was largely costumed being the Halloween time of year and all. Despite that, it was pretty much all cosplayers. I don't think I saw any 'normal' Halloween costumes but I may have just forgotten -_- It happened on the evening of the 29th last year, a Friday.

As for cover charge, umm *digs up old thread*... $10. If you had an Anime North pass from the year or a JCCC membership, it was $8.

(2005 Valentine's Dance thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=47608)
(2004 Halloween Dance thread: http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=43907)

Kudou
08-31-2005, 10:25 PM
I have high hopes for the next dance, in terms of karaoke and DDR. For the last 2 dances (Halloween last year and V-Day this year), they've both been well-organized and fun.
At the most recent AN, RedOctane donated a metal pad to AN. So if its there, who needs actual dancing when you have free DDR :thumbsup: Not me at least :square:

CandyChick
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
I also hope that the dance gose on agan there soo much fun almost everyone is in cosplay and everyone has a good time even on the v-day dance everyone was in cosplay I really hope the make another one this year all we can do is hope

kuko-chan
08-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Ooh, I'd really love another dance! I've only been to the Valentine's one so far, but a Halloween one would make more sense, being the time of the year for costumes and all!

Otaking97
09-01-2005, 12:12 AM
I wanted to go to the last few but they fell on times when cash was thin. Hopefully this year if they run I can attend.

TribalButterfly
09-01-2005, 07:22 AM
I have high hopes for the next dance, in terms of karaoke and DDR. For the last 2 dances (Halloween last year and V-Day this year), they've both been well-organized and fun.
At the most recent AN, RedOctane donated a metal pad to AN. So if its there, who needs actual dancing when you have free DDR :thumbsup: Not me at least :square:

karaoke and DDR???

Do u mean that there's other things that you can do, besides just DANCING???

Allin
09-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Following is the e-mail I got from JCCC admin.:

Hi Allin,

At this point we have no plans to have and Anime North Halloween dance this
year at the JCCC. You could try contacting them at animenorth.com to see if
they have plans to hold it elsewhere.

Best regards,
Christine

Yup. So it's up to AN staff and they didn't contact JCCC yet.

TribalButterfly
09-01-2005, 09:46 AM
oooohh... thats no good... this was maybe gunna be my first time going :(

they still have time, don't they???
I think a lot of people are expecting it.

scarlet
09-01-2005, 11:38 AM
oh god, i wish that is going to be a dance this year! I don't want to miss out anymore cosplay event T_T

kuko-chan
09-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I'm very hopeful and almost sure they'd hold another dance. I heard the last two were very successful! It just might take a little while to organize and announce.

TheWestWind
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah, I REALLY hope the AN Staff are able to organize a dance... I'm getting all happy just thinking about a dance at Halloween. I LOVED both last years Haloween and Valentine's dances!

CandyChick
09-02-2005, 06:30 AM
I really don't see why they wouldn't have an other dance it worked out both times they healed it, and all the $$$ gose to making AN better... I just dont know what to say if they don't hold one this year they better have a really good reason not to!

Scoti
09-02-2005, 06:49 AM
whoa, I think everyone just needs to give the AN staff some time to recover (I'm sure they have lives other then event planning hehe). I'm pretty sure they would hold another one if they felt the past dances were successful.

Amy the Yu
09-02-2005, 11:19 AM
I really don't see why they wouldn't have an other dance it worked out both times they healed it, and all the $$$ gose to making AN better... I just dont know what to say if they don't hold one this year they better have a really good reason not to!Well, the liasion who usually takes care of the dealings with the JCCC (I make it sound like drugs or something >_< ) moved far away. And AN itself is a non-profit organization, so they don't actually make any money since all profits are donated anyway. O.o;;

I'd love for there to be a Halloween dance, but I think I look forward to the V-day one more just cause halloween's right after the con season while v-day's in the middle of winter, so a much appreciated distraction from all the snow. XD

kuko-chan
09-02-2005, 12:42 PM
About what time of the year last year did the Anime North people announce the dance? I'm not trying to sound inpatient or anything, I just want an idea of when it was they began planning it. :)

Kaijugal
09-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Yes, we've had a number of dances at the JCCC over the years. I don't know yet if there will be one for Halloween yet. Tamara was the one who usually was the liaison with the JCCC, but she's recently moved to BC. So I'll have to make inquiries about it.

I belive Tamara hinted she's like me to run or help run it at some point since she was moving. I recall declining since I'm just so overworked already and I've got other things that require my attention at Halloween. I'll happily attend if I can. (translation" if it's not too close to halloween). ^_^

Best thing to do it wait for an official statement on the matter from Tamara or whomever she appoints. :)

lainey
09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
i believe that last year, they announced the dance in early summer, correct me if i'm wrong.

And since Halloween is coming, I think we can predict that there will not be a halloween dance :( :(

But be in hopes for the Valentine's Dance...something I'll most likely attend (since it's during reading week I believe).

MaiSheri
09-02-2005, 09:45 PM
That's a little bit dissapointing - I couldn't make it to the dances last year and was kinda counting on them happening again. Oh well, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Valentines, anyways ^_^

TribalButterfly
09-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Aw! that's too bad :(
Halloween is the actual DRESS UP night :(

Valentines is more like a romantic private thing. I'll probubly be ...otherwise engaged on Valentines Day :( Damn Romantic getaways for two, interfeering with my cosplay endevors!!! (:p)

Squall1882
09-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Even still... if there is no Halloween dance to attend, that doesn't mean you can't attend some Halloween activity in costume. There are always those haunted house type things that are set up on someone's farm with like a haunted barn, hay ride, maze, etc. Was it called Haunted Hills.. hmmm.. can't remember, I know there was 2 or 3 of them around the GTA. There is also screamers, though that gets sooo freakin packed I don't think costumes would fair too well...

Allin
09-05-2005, 11:44 PM
mmm. i hope i'm not bothering ppl by doing this.

Since Halloween is coming up soon, i want to make sure if there is going to be dance or not. If the usual staffs are too busy to do it this year, I want to confirm it so that other ppl might try to organize it.

Soooo.. does anyone know Tamara's e-mail address?
or if I want to PM her, what's her cosplay.com account name?

Big thanks to replying ppl as usual.

Kaijugal
09-06-2005, 12:12 AM
mmm. i hope i'm not bothering ppl by doing this.

Since Halloween is coming up soon, i want to make sure if there is going to be dance or not. If the usual staffs are too busy to do it this year, I want to confirm it so that other ppl might try to organize it.

Soooo.. does anyone know Tamara's e-mail address?
or if I want to PM her, what's her cosplay.com account name?

Big thanks to replying ppl as usual.

I've already contacted other memebers of the Anime North Exec about this. When word comes back, and things are definate, you'll have it.

Allin
09-06-2005, 12:18 AM
I've already contacted other memebers of the Anime North Exec about this. When word comes back, and things are definate, you'll have it.

Aaah. thank you X3

kuko-chan
09-07-2005, 02:47 AM
If you guys (AN staff) require any help, I'd be glad to lend a hand. I lost my copy of DDR, but I still have two working dance mats you could borrow! Just email me if there are any available positions. panchi_chan@yahoo.com or kuko.chan@gmail.com

TribalButterfly
09-07-2005, 07:09 AM
come on AN! We need a halloween dance!!!! :)

Lady_Sodina
09-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Ditto here, if you guys need any help with anything in concerns to this dance, feel free to PM me or email me (nat_rlz@hotmail.com). I do have DDRMax if it's needed, and long as it doesn't get hurt, I should be able to bring my PS2 as well. TV screen, I don't know if I can do that one, but I can always see.

Mekou
09-07-2005, 02:00 PM
You know I'm always up for helping out too! ^_^ Dawn, you know how to contact me. ^_~

LoneWanderer
09-07-2005, 04:00 PM
*prays* ppppppppleeeeaaaasssseeesss have a halloween dance it was fun last year

TribalButterfly
09-07-2005, 04:55 PM
HEY! nobody answered my question... lost somewhere in the middle of this thread....

What ELSE is there to do besides DANCE at this dance (if anything....i've never been to this Dance b4)

Chibik3r0
09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
HEY! nobody answered my question... lost somewhere in the middle of this thread....

What ELSE is there to do besides DANCE at this dance (if anything....i've never been to this Dance b4)

Typically, DDR and Karoeke. There were 1 or 2 vendors as well. Also, refreshments are for sale.

Sarcasm-hime
09-07-2005, 08:13 PM
It all depends on finding a cheap venue (the JCCC was giving the venue to us essentially free, and we gave them the profits). If the JCCC really isn't interested in hosting these dances anymore, we'd have to find a new venue and at this late date it may not be possible.

Alexia Ishtar
09-07-2005, 08:24 PM
that's really sad, it would have given me -something- to do on Halloween besides hand out candy.

TribalButterfly
09-08-2005, 06:48 AM
Kareoke eh? well THAT's pretty cool!

Scoti
09-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Would a well-known community centre do for this year? They normally have rooms that can be rented out for these types of things.

(sorry if this has been brought up already)

YukiPhnx
09-10-2005, 07:08 PM
it'd be disappointing if the halloween dance couldn't take place.

Scoti-chan, the community centre would have to be really big, but that would work. they'd jus need a large room for the dancing to take place in.

CandyChick
09-14-2005, 09:39 PM
so this means that we are geting our dance? also what day will it be?

Jo_Canadian
09-15-2005, 02:01 AM
i know it sounds like a royal pain in the ass but there is a rec center here in brampton on the main bus routes, the dance room i think dwarfs the one they have at the JCCC i dunno, its called centry gardens, i dunno if that will help at all

Lady_Sodina
09-15-2005, 09:40 AM
so this means that we are geting our dance? also what day will it be?

I don't think it's been verified YET that we're getting a dance. There are people looking into the idea of getting a dance, but that's about it so far. So there's no date yet, but it was really close to Halloween last year, I think like, the Friday before or something?

Dilandau
09-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I’m still hoping that there is a dance, I’ve never been to one but from what i hear it seems to be fun^-^!, I also e-mailed them and they haven’t responded to me yet. they should post there events even if they only rent out the rooms. Also, I’m preparing for the event in case it dose go, i better not fine out that I’m making my costume for nothing *evil glare*

Sarcasm-hime
09-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I am one of the DJs that have done the dance in the past, and AFAIK we have no plans for a dance at the moment. The person who used to organize it has moved away, and the rest of us have simply been too busy. Things may change, of course, but for the time being you should probably assume that there will not be a Halloween dance.

If anyone wants to try to organize it on their own, feel free to contact me about DJing, but I don't have time to do the prep work (arranging for a location, contacting dealers, setting up karaoke rooms, etc.).

Dilandau
09-25-2005, 11:55 AM
I am one of the DJs that have done the dance in the past, and AFAIK we have no plans for a dance at the moment. The person who used to organize it has moved away, and the rest of us have simply been too busy. Things may change, of course, but for the time being you should probably assume that there will not be a Halloween dance.

If anyone wants to try to organize it on their own, feel free to contact me about DJing, but I don't have time to do the prep work (arranging for a location, contacting dealers, setting up karaoke rooms, etc.).

so...... is that it? 0.0 , no dance ? wow.... my friend got me so exited for this dance and it isn't happening T.T" now i have almost nothing to look forward to this year *sniff*

Elemental
09-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Well, there WILL be a Halloween photoshoot. And there's a Science Centre Gathering. And A Cosplay Dinner. And DTAC. Missing a dance will not be the end of the world. I'm sad it looks like there won't be one as well, but that's the way the dice occasionally fall. Since I'm going to be going mad over my mother's surgery, I can't take reins for this dance, but should the opportunity be open for Febuary, I'll try to help ensure there is a Valentines Day dance.

Kaijugal
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Just to be clear on this

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL ANIME NORTH SPONSORED HALLOWEEN DANCE THIS YEAR.

Sorry.

There is talk about doing another them dance early in 2006, maybe post New Years or Valentines again, but sadly no Halloween.

I'm sorry that so many people will be dissapointed by this but sometimes there are just not enough people both with the time and responsible enough to make the vast amount of arrangements neccessary to put these events on.

Cheers all! Thanks to those of you with moxie who are organizing alternative
events. :bigtu: