PDA

View Full Version : For Halloween...

Amy the Yu
09-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Is anyone planning on dressing up for halloween? Are you cosplaying or dressing up in a generic-ish outfit?

I've been thinking about it for a while now. While I've often explained cosplaying to non-cosplayers as "halloween any time of the year", I've never actually planned to seriously cosplay for halloween.

It's partially that a lot of my costumes are considered rather obscure anyway, but the idea of looking like a freak that doesn't resemble anything the general population would recognize just doesn't appeal to me much.

Some people have good costumes of well known characters (ie. Pan's Yugi) that would probably be well received if they wore it out for halloween, but 2 years ago when a bunch of us from CTRL-A (UW's anime club) went around campus on halloween with some less recognizable costumes (from Naruto and Saiyuki), all we got were strange looks and even stranger looks. -_-;;

That being said, for those who care, if I don't get any of my Ohayocon costumes done in time for Halloween, I was thinking to either do Jiraiya or wear my random yukata for halloween. Jiraiya would just look funny with the strange clothing, extra padding to give me a bigger waistline and white fuzzy mullet, but I'd get to tell people that my eyes are bleeding (cause not like anyone would recognise it anyway). XD

TribalButterfly
09-01-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm going to go to work in my Mew Ichigo costume durring the daytime.
I miss wearing something poofy, and everyone at work is dying to see me in one of my cosplays in person (since they hear so much about it, and see so many pictures!)
Plus i think it would be cute to have all the little kids recognise me - even if it IS going to kill me to hear them call me ZOEY instead of MEW ICHIGO *throws up in her mouth a lil* GAK!

As for at night, well, durring early evening when the trick or treaters come, I'll wear my Ring Girl costume i made for CNAnime 2005 again. I'm planning on making the well, to set up on my front proch n scare the living cucumbers out of the kiddies who come up for candy! haha! (sounds cruel i know, but we always do something weird for halloween, so the kids will be expecting it. We're a favorite house for them, n they'll be dissipointed if we give them anything less! haha!)

My Bunny Rabbit, Pocket-Watch (A.K.A Mr. Pooz) on the other hand, will be dressed up as a Mexican!
He will be wearing a tiny bunny sized sombraro that i got for him on my boyfriend n my last vacation, (We went on a cruise around the Mexican Riviera for 10 days over Valentine's, and brought back sombraro suvaniers for everyone) as well as a bunny sized pancho which i plan to knit for him out of embroidery floss :)

Then at night well, it depends on where i'm going.
If there's the Anime North dance i wanted to make a Utena costume - but i wanted to make the dress she wears only in Episode 3, when she goes to the ball ( i thought it was fitting considering the dance is sorta a ball :p) plus the poofness will cover up my huge lack of dancing skill! :) haha!

Otherwise, who knows. Maybe i'll get back into my Lust costume since its SICK awesome, n i loved wearing it. Who knows. Depends on where i'm headed! :)

Anyone else care to share???

neekabe
09-01-2005, 07:49 PM
I use halloween as my oppertunity to do mainstream costumes (ie something that the general population will recognize =P) or something where you don't need to recognize the character to appreciate the costume.

And in my first year of University, I used it to scope out friends ^_~ (I wore Broken Miho and carried around a bag of candy with "Guess who I am, Win Candy!" written on it to encourage fellow geeks to come talk to me ^_~ )

Infini
09-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Not that I actually have any solid plans to go anywhere for halloween, but I will definitely cosplay. I can't really think of a regular costume that I would want to wear, and I'm not creative enough to come up with my own designs. I haven't worn any generic costumes for halloween since I first started cosplaying. On the note of non-cosplay people not recognizing most costumes, I have to say that an alarming number of people have no idea who Link is (from Zelda). Not a single person where I work has even heard of the game. I don't really worry about being recognized at halloween, as long as I'm not the only person in costume. XD

I hope the JCCC halloween dance thing happens. I really would like somewhere entertaining to dress up at.

Anyway, I'm almost definitely making Fai (tsubasa/regular outfit/manga/whatever), and then rewearing it to Ohayocon if I go. >_> I might even make the huge coat, but I don't know if I can afford it yet (and I want to make the coat will all the pretty blue stuff on the back). I'm mad at certain people for making me obsessed with Tsubasa manga now. :P

kuko-chan
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I sorta have plans, depending on whether or not the JCCC Dance is happening. I'm attempting to alter a kimono pattern to make a short version of it. Then I'd wear a Chinise skirt. It'd be a weird clash of two Asian cultures...^^; The fabric I got was on sale, so I really wanted to make something out of it.

Seed-chan
09-01-2005, 08:15 PM
If the JCCC dance doesn't happen, I'll at least definitely will be wearing one of my costumes to school in the daytime. I really wished that Halloween was on a Friday rather than Monday, coz if it was, I would've totally worn a costume to school everyday of that week XD

To the JCCC dance, I'd probably wear Sasuke... coz he's in shorts and shorts = dancing without overheating.

To school I'll probably wear Sasuke (though in a way I don't really want to wear shorts that time of year) or if I finish Kira's seed civilian by then. Or maybe Okita... (though I don't really want to wear a wig to school =/ )

TheWestWind
09-01-2005, 08:30 PM
I want to wear Sasuke to school because my school = no CLUE about cosplay/anime. So I just wanna hear(and possibly record) someone say 'hey! You're that dude from that cartoon on YTV!'.

For Halloween and maybe the JCCC Dance I wanted to be the Chuunin exam Sasuke with the black once-piece jumpsuit and all.

Edgar Strife
09-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Hum.........I have no clues what to do for Halloween. If the dance is on [which I hope it is] I may be cosplaying Subaru in his Onmyoji other wise I'll stick with Hojo from FFVII. Or I may just be working on one of my new cosplay outfits. I was going say if the dance doesn't happen, how about a gathering at P-Mall or something? Well its just a suggestion.

Natif Beaute
09-01-2005, 09:39 PM

Amy the Yu
09-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Hum.........I have no clues what to do for Halloween. If the dance is on [which I hope it is] I may be cosplaying Subaru in his Onmyoji other wise I'll stick with Hojo from FFVII. Or I may just be working on one of my new cosplay outfits. I was going say if the dance doesn't happen, how about a gathering at P-Mall or something? Well its just a suggestion.I'd be up for P Mall or parading elsewhere in costume.

I figure I'd be in town that weekend for sure, unless Infini comes up with something she wants to do and I can tag along, but if that happens, I might just hogtie her and drag her to TO with me. >_>

Infini
09-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I figure I'd be in town that weekend for sure, unless Infini comes up with something she wants to do and I can tag along, but if that happens, I might just hogtie her and drag her to TO with me. >_>

I'll come to Toronto for halloween stuff. It's better there. XD

Are there going to be any other events in TO that seem remotely interesting to attend if the JCCC thing doesn't happen? (Which sounds likely, considering the thread on it.)

Elemental
09-02-2005, 12:15 AM
^_^ I'm hoping the JCC dance pulls through, but we should make plans to go and socialize nontheless. the only problem is that most Halloween events... well, suck. I've never attended Rue Morgue, but I know some friends that have. I'm not too sure how cosplay friendly it would be, especially since it's at night. Maybe a Pmall day, or a downtown day..

I've always wanted to costume and give out candy to people on/around halloween, as a fun kind of reversal. That'd be pretty fun downtown....

Infini
09-02-2005, 12:34 AM
That sounds like fun (downtown cosplaying/halloween)...could always do that during the day and then go to some halloween party at night or something. ^_^ I have no idea.

I've never heard of Rue Morgue. What is it?

nicolebomber
09-02-2005, 03:49 AM
I was actually hoping to start my Aeris cosplay soon but that won't be happening so I won't be wearing that this Halloween :P Meh, I'll be wearing it to AE06 though with my b/f as Cloud <3

Every H-ween I usually dress up as Lara Croft...So I might keep to the tradition, but this year My b/f wants to do some terrorizing so we might just throw on our fatigues and masks and start some shit. I wanted to go to one of the cosplay dances that's being held but this could be more interesting...depending how many paintballs we have at the time and fireworks. I <3 H-ween ^^

CandyChick
09-02-2005, 06:24 AM
If the dance is going to happen im going as Kurenai yuuhi i really hope the dance is going on this year its soo much fun

kuko-chan
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Well I'm up for a little parading if the dance isn't happening. Just make sure it's indoors, in case of rain or, heaven forbid, snow. How many places are actually open late anyway? Besides bars, I mean.

☆Skull Rabbit☆
09-02-2005, 07:46 PM
I don't have a costume planned, and, no money to actually make one anyways :D I'll probably dress up decora-ish (like I don't already :D) or something if I go anywhere.

trixyloupwolf
09-02-2005, 08:10 PM
yep real hard to cosplay at halloween...........guess what....

last year i dress as inuyasha........

a mom tell to her husban....ooo look its asterix..or ..obelix......

dhu! asterix or obelix does not event have red on him red......
and no ears as well.........

crazy lady......^-^........

maybe this year i will wear my lil taruto costume
at least people will said ho a nice cute cat ....lol...^-^...

MaiSheri
09-02-2005, 09:55 PM
So far my plan is to cosplay but not an anime character - got just a few too many "and what is your costume?"s from my friends last year. But no news on what it will be yet, as I haven't quite decided ^_^

kels
09-03-2005, 02:44 AM
i have no idea what im going to wear.. but then again i never do.. ==;.. if i get a proper wig, then ill do something gundam seed? iono.. not sure yet.. but i kinda want to do something thats mainstream.. so the "OMG ITS THAT PERSON!!.. (thats so scary!)*.. lol.. joking about the last part ==;..

i just really really hope that the dance pulls thru tho.. i wouldnt mind chilling downtown if not.. go clubbing.. i have no idea.. but then again.. clubbing on a monday night? pfft XD

heki-chan
09-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Adrian and I are gonna be gangsters. O_O It's his idea, I swear <_<;;

Edgar Strife
09-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I was going say we can also go to High Park for a photoshot [hopefully it won't be cold, I hope not.] then after that we could go exploring, shopping , arcade or maybe karaoke.....well these are some ideas i though of so far. Anything ells? Also, I was thinking maybe the weekend would be a good day for this event even though I think Mon is the 31, I think it is.

kuko-chan
09-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Y'know, people always talk about photoshoots and picnics at High Park... ^^; I've never been to High Park, so could someone give an address or a map of some kind? Just for future reference, I suppose.

HidoshiNobunaga
09-04-2005, 02:49 AM
Technically the easiest way is just to hop on the TTC subway and go to High Park station. It's essentially right next to the park itself. ^^;

Otherwise... http://www.toronto.com/profile/149332 has just about everything you need to know. Map, etc.

Towards Halloween: I'm really hoping for the JCCC this year again. It's been fun so far, and I think it'll pick up quite a bit with each instalment. I dunno if this is statistically true, but it felt like there were more people with each dance, or at least that people were more active and interested.

Dunno what I'm gonna wear though. If Enki's done, maybe him. Otherwise, probably Ralf, 'cause he's pretty comfy.

Amy the Yu
09-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Technically the easiest way is just to hop on the TTC subway and go to High Park station. It's essentially right next to the park itself. ^^;

Otherwise... http://www.toronto.com/profile/149332 has just about everything you need to know. Map, etc.

Towards Halloween: I'm really hoping for the JCCC this year again. It's been fun so far, and I think it'll pick up quite a bit with each instalment. I dunno if this is statistically true, but it felt like there were more people with each dance, or at least that people were more active and interested.I'm still praying for a JCCC dance too, but the logic center of my brain tells me to not hold my breath. =/

If people decide on some alternate plan they want to do though, I'd gladly edit the info on the first post so there's a proper info post there. XD

kuko-chan
09-04-2005, 04:20 PM

Oh thank you! This helps me a lot.

So yeah, I'm all for this High Park idea if the dance isn't happening. I guess the question would be is this a full day thing or an evening event?

HidoshiNobunaga
09-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing a full day event if it's not at the JCCC. A high park event would be most grand and a nice way to relax during the school year. I prefer the dance myself only because of weather around that time of year, but at least it's not likely to be raining (that's more Spring's thing... Frickin' crybaby).

Amy the Yu
09-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Not sure if others are up for a full weekend of Halloween, but regardless of whether the JCCC dance happens, anyone interested in doing a photoshoot at High Park on say...Saturday of Halloween weekend?

Natif Beaute
09-05-2005, 12:47 AM

Mekou
09-05-2005, 01:07 AM
>> anyone interested in doing a photoshoot at High Park on say...Saturday of Halloween weekend?

I'm up for that! =D

Infini
09-05-2005, 01:51 AM
I'm up for an entire weekend of Halloween (well, MY weekend anyway...fri/sat), but I can settle for a saturday photoshoot. ^_^

...halloween <3

HidoshiNobunaga
09-05-2005, 02:43 AM
I dunno about a photoshoot myself. I'd rather it just be a sort of informal get-together-bring-your-costume-if-you-like thing. A picnic or something similar.

kuko-chan
09-05-2005, 05:04 AM
I dunno about a photoshoot myself. I'd rather it just be a sort of informal get-together-bring-your-costume-if-you-like thing. A picnic or something similar.
I agree. This is something I'd like to drag my friends and b/f to and I think they might feel awkward and left out if it was just a photoshoot. Perhaps we should extend this to a picnic/pot luck sort of thing with the photoshoot being optional for anyone in costume (I'd expect quite a few people interested, seeing as it's Halloween and all). :)

Mekou
09-05-2005, 10:01 AM
>> I dunno about a photoshoot myself. I'd rather it just be a sort of informal get-together-bring-your-costume-if-you-like thing. A picnic or something similar.

That's what our "photoshoots" are anyway. Don't let the word "photoshoot" fool you. XD

A picnic would be cool though. =)

Ayumi Nemoto
09-05-2005, 02:28 PM
That "photoshoot" sounds cool, I think I'll come :D I want to see how High Park is like since everyone keeps mentioning it ^^;;

As for the halloween, I've never been to the JCC dance (I want to go so badly T_T) but I'm planning to run around my school rewearing my Wizard from Ragnarok. I'm thinking of hang out at Pmall after school since I can't go to JCC dance. T_T

Elemental
09-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I'm looking into whether or not the JCCC dance can be saved. ^_^ If it can, I'll let everyone know asap and put out a call for those who'd like to help organize it. If not, organizing a picnic sounds like fun.

Actually, I'd ideally like to do both, but I'd want to make sure we didn't clash dates. It'd also be fun to do them both the same day and utilize the gardens around the JCCC for the picnic, and then move into the building itself for the dance later, but that shall remain to be seen. ^_^

scarlet
09-05-2005, 05:45 PM
but wouldn't october be a bit too cold for outdoor picnic?

chef_belegfea
09-05-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm going to look into making my Alucard costume finally... that would just be too much fun to pass up...

HidoshiNobunaga
09-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm looking into whether or not the JCCC dance can be saved. ^_^ If it can, I'll let everyone know asap and put out a call for those who'd like to help organize it. If not, organizing a picnic sounds like fun.

Actually, I'd ideally like to do both, but I'd want to make sure we didn't clash dates. It'd also be fun to do them both the same day and utilize the gardens around the JCCC for the picnic, and then move into the building itself for the dance later, but that shall remain to be seen. ^_^

What exactly does the dance's occurrence hinge on? I'd be happy to help if I can.

MaiSheri
09-05-2005, 09:52 PM

That's great news, Elemental! If this gets pulled off, you will be my new hero! Yay for picnic and dance!!!

but wouldn't october be a bit too cold for outdoor picnic?
You never really know, around here. I recall many years as a child when I had to wear my winter jacket under my costume, but 2 years ago I was trick-or-treating quite comfortably in just a leotard and tutu. Anyways, the point is that we don't know what the weather will be like, and won't have any kind of general idea until a week or less before the event, so we might as well plan for it, ne? [woot, those meteorology classes come in handy!]

Elemental
09-05-2005, 10:13 PM
What exactly does the dance's occurrence hinge on? I'd be happy to help if I can.

Right now, I'm waiting to see if Sarcasm and co. would be willing to DJ, and I've contacted Dawn to see if anoyne *was* supposed to take over such events. If there isn't, and she can forward me Tamara's contact info so I can find out how Tamara normally contacted the JCC and what kind of process I'd be looking into (contacting who from AN to cover the rental fee, who we rented/if we rented items for it, ect) then it should be (hopefully) be failry straightforward.

(Words doomed to fail me, I know.)

Once I have some confirmation, I'll be bugging for help, don't worry. XD

Edgar Strife
09-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Hum.....this is starting to become quite interesting. Well, you can count me in too for the photoshot if it happens. I was thinking about too, like a gathering in the morning at the park and then at night, we all head to the dance...[that is if it happens.] Well, in either case, I'll try to get a special outfit ready for this event, hopefully it'll be ready on time.

fox.boy
09-06-2005, 03:47 PM
When you can't beat them, join them, learn all their secrets, become a sith, and then beat/kill/maim/destroy them. =P

I'll be a generic jedi. =P

Tali
09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm going to be Advent Children Tifa!! ^__^ I can't wait. I've got two of my friends cosplaying with me too ^^. My boyfriend got into cosplay now so he's gonna be Cloud and then I've got a friend of mine to be Yuffie. It'll be spectacular!

Alexia Ishtar
09-07-2005, 12:25 AM
Providing I can get my act together (and get my fabric in time) I'm going to do my Tin Nyanko for Halloween. I dress up even if I do only give out candy

HidoshiNobunaga
09-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Seeing as it's Halloween, I may just come as Micah Chang (Plastic) from Mac Hall. Part of the whole "Bag Brothers 3" gag from back in the day. I'll need a paper and sleeping tho'. Paper only requires a stuffed kitty for your shoulder and lock of brown hair spilling from the top of the paper bag. Sleeping is even simpler: Zip up in a sleeping bag and hop around.

Amy the Yu
09-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Seeing as it's Halloween, I may just come as Micah Chang (Plastic) from Mac Hall. Part of the whole "Bag Brothers 3" gag from back in the day. I'll need a paper and sleeping tho'. Paper only requires a stuffed kitty for your shoulder and lock of brown hair spilling from the top of the paper bag. Sleeping is even simpler: Zip up in a sleeping bag and hop around.I call sleeping... >_>

I actually had plans with a friend to try to gather all 3 for a random halloween, but we never found a paper (and we gave up on the hunt for someone willing to do paper almost 3 years ago). -_-;;

kuko-chan
09-08-2005, 12:36 AM
Well, my plan to make a kimono failed. I didn't have enough fabric. However, I DID make a nifty top instead! ^^ I'll have to decide on another costume.

HidoshiNobunaga
09-08-2005, 01:51 AM
Hm, I think I can find someone. But seriously, bring 'Sleeping', 'cause I certainly will bring Plastic. :D

Of course, for full effect, you'll need a drink to spill.

Amy the Yu
09-08-2005, 02:44 AM
Hm, I think I can find someone. But seriously, bring 'Sleeping', 'cause I certainly will bring Plastic. :D

Of course, for full effect, you'll need a drink to spill.I'll get one of those cups with fake liquid in it to "spill". XD

Dilandau
09-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I’ve decided to make a simplified movie Dilandau Albatou costume! which is just the blue under shirt the red pants and them cool red boots, I’m also making his top jacket that he wears on top of his uniform. it's support to be white, but I’m making it resemble the Black Dragon Clan flag, so it will be red with gold and have that Black Dragon Clan symbol on the back , so it will look really cool =^-^=

Dilandau
09-25-2005, 12:08 PM
did any one use acrylic paint on there costume ? and did it work out cause there is a white dot on the middle of the Black Dragon Clan flag 0.o

Amy the Yu
09-25-2005, 12:23 PM
did any one use acrylic paint on there costume ? and did it work out cause there is a white dot on the middle of the Black Dragon Clan flag 0.oUm...you should be asking this on the general cosplay threads or something...that's much more specified towards this type of question. Actually, if you search it there, you'll probably find a few posts that will address your question.

Also, for future reference, there's an edit button after every post you make. Instead of making a double post, you can just edit your first one.