PDA

View Full Version : Oni-Con affected by Hurricane Katrina?

Yusuke Urameshi
09-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Does anyone know if Oni-Con will be affected by Hurricane Katrina?

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a172/Yusukeman/oni-conthing.jpg

The Astrodome is literally across the street, and I've heard rumors of some of the evacuees being moved into hotels.

Etsu
09-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I haven't read anything about it, but I think a lot of people's individual plans may be affected. I know that I can't attend unless I find a ride and a group of people to go w/.

Danzikumaru
09-04-2005, 06:23 PM

It will be, but we shall simply have to deal with it. I say we congoers should help out where we can. If there are refugees at the hotel, make them feel welcome. They'll appreciate it

rabidfanboy
09-04-2005, 09:14 PM
It's not just the "refugees" that might be at the hotel...Currently there are 55,000 displaced citizens in hotels in Houston. If the majority of them remain in Texas for the next couple months (which is a big possibility) then that could possibly lead to a problem of there being room at the hotel for the convention.

We should all "deal with it" and be as polite and accomodating as can be, but if there's no room for us available when the time comes then I guess we won't have to worry about it. Atleast those of us that don't live in the area. I'm thinking though that the entire hotel won't be full and there will still be the block available for the con.

Super Tsuki
09-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Hmm...I was kind of wondering if the convention would be affected too. :p Like if it would get canceled or not....or if there are just going to be a shortage of hotel rooms. I checked the website to see if they put anything up there concerning it, but there was nothing about it. So if i anybody has any ideas of what is happening please share ^.^;;

:dance:

Ryouko
09-06-2005, 04:43 PM
AnimeFEST just dealt with this ordeal, due to being attached to the Reunion Arena. This past weekend the hotel housed over 400 Fireman, Police workers, and FEMA peoples as well as the convention attendees. It all worked out fine.

With Onicon being so close, I would think that most attendees staying at the hotel would have their reservations by now. I wouldn't think con-goers would receive any trouble from refugees that are also staying there. At AnimeFEST, the workers were invited to the con, and I saw many of them enjoying it in their spare time (and all the cute doggies!).

thefinal
09-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Ryouko is correct. There were several workers at a-FEST but I think "deal with it" is misuse of a term for those that said such things. It's going to be interesting I might say, but it didn't cause any problems. I don't believe it will in Houston either.

As long as Oni-Con is like we were at a-FEST and works around with the refugees and the workers, the con will be fine. However, I think it's more so, I feel sorry for them dealing with us. As we all know, cons have a wild crowd...

*shrugs*

rabidfanboy
09-07-2005, 12:26 AM
I wouldn't think con-goers would receive any trouble from refugees that are also staying there

I don't think what people were really worried about (at least in my case) was receiving trouble from the displaced citizens at the hotel, but there being actual space at the hotel. Regardless if we have reservations or not, if the people are still staying at the hotel when the con arrives the hotel will not kick them out just because we have reservations. And I don't think the people would want to leave either if asked (which I highly doubt they would be asked anyways.) Again, this is all just hypothetical depending on the extent of the situation.

I don't anticpate any problems between the con goers and the potential people there. And like I already stated, I don't think the hotel will be completely full as it is. I'm gonna just keep my optimistic outlook.

Cat-Chans
09-07-2005, 01:32 AM
I really don't like that term "deal with it"
In my opinion these people should get first dibs, we should be the ones in the way. They're all struggling to get back to life, we just want to watch anime for 3 days :|
Con goers should acomadate with open arms the refugees, and voluteers.

Its good to hear everthing went well at Afest.

rabidfanboy
09-07-2005, 02:44 AM
Well you know, most of the people don't actually like being referred to as "refugees" which keeps getting thrown around a lot in this thread. Many who have been interviewed say they are American citizens and do not like being called "refugees." Same with all the people I have come in contact with directly.

I think "deal with it" is misuse of a term for those that said such things

I hope you weren't referring that to me in anyway as I was using it as a quote and my wording was "be as polite and accomodating as can be." Again, I hope you weren't referring that to me as there was only actually one person who said it directly.

That is the bad thing about the internet because how a phrase might be meant to sound cannot be convyed through simple text. The person who originally used it didn't use it in a way demeaning anyone, but instead directing it towards the con goers. I think this is all being taken out of hand when it was a simple thread wondering if the convention would be affected at all.

TalanaRay
09-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm the Guest Relations and Panels director for Oni-Con. I've checked with the hotel to see if there would be any impact on the convention. The answer is NO. I suggest everyone gets their hotel rooms soon though, because there IS a football game at Reliant Stadium that Sunday afternoon.

I hope everyone has fun!!!

--TalanaRay

rabidfanboy
09-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the information TalanaRay! So the football game is still scheduled. I thought it might have been canceled, so good to know.

Danzikumaru
09-07-2005, 04:28 PM

I do believe the "deal with it" controversey started with me. I meant nothing negative by it, just bad choice of words on my part. Read the rest of my post to get what I was actually saying

thefinal
09-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Internet is difficult sometimes with terminology, I just know that "dealing with it" isn't quite the term to use internet or not. Either way, I think everything will turn out fine there just like it did further up here, at a-FEST. I worked staff and even at that, I spent some of my time helping those that came to the hotel. I met with a lot of them, and yes, they hate the term "refugees" for the most part, but either way, that is what they are considered at this point granted they are all still human beings and everyone should just help the best they can.

However, from a previous post, looks like you guys won't have any issues at all which is a good thing. I'm considering going, but that is still a good question due TO the football game and I live in Ft. Worth

TalanaRay
09-07-2005, 06:33 PM
I'm not too sure on the football game since I only had contact with the hotel. If they've cancelled the game you'd have to contact the stadium.

At least Oni-Con rooms are still good to go! ^_^ I can't wait to see everyone's cosplay!

rabidfanboy
09-07-2005, 06:47 PM
As long as the rooms are still good to go I'm happy ^.^b

If the game is or isn't canceled won't really bother me. Since I expected it before anything happened I was prepared for it. Who knows, could always end up having some fun with some energetic football fans.