PDA

View Full Version : what did you think of PMX this year?

(SiN)
09-05-2005, 01:35 AM
title pretty much says it. i've gone these twos days. i would say last year's was better. on the other hand i finally got to meet super no.1. the bald guy at the jones bones booth chased me away. they need much more staffing. the registration was extremely fast.

the one thing i learned was that, ppl that cosplayed was much more welcoming to those that cosplayed. i saw some guy that looked like a legato from trigun, but he got mad at me and told me he was from bleach. i was not cosplaying at the time. ( my first time in 3 years.)

share what you thought of this year's PMX.

KTMonkeyJ
09-05-2005, 02:38 AM
i thought it was aiight ^^" i was there two days as well.
it could've been better, it's like a big place with little people (by little i mean not-so-many).. the Exhibit Hall was extremely small :(
but i do enjoy the cos fest, it was actually really cool, that was my favorite event of the con (good job to all the cosplayers!)

Akira-Kun
09-05-2005, 04:12 AM
I too went for two days and I would say this year is about the same as last year though I personally liked the Anaheim location better as it was more enclosed. There wasn't too many people in general and I thought there would be a lot more due to the amount of discussion (especially the gatherings) here on this board about it. Most of the time it seemed totally dead with the few people cosplaying I noticed getting strange looks from passerbys (there was a private wedding, a Christian thing, and some other event going on nearby) and my friend and I almost went home without cosplaying even though we brought all our stuff for it.

One thing that totally weirded out my friend and I was the hotel we stayed in, the Renaissance, which is across the street from the convention center. Had I known the Hyatt Regency is directly next to the convention center I would have chosen that one but they were all sold out by the time I did find out. It was really uncomfortable to walk across the street to the convetion center as Ocean Blvd. is a major intersection and we got major stares for it too. Add in the fact that most cosplayers seemed to have wisely chosen the Hyatt and the fact that it's a big, wide street and a semi-long walk didn't help. I always thought to myself that I would never ever cosplay in public (at a non-anime event) and this sure came close to it.

One thing I did enjoy was the Cosfest event, about 37 entries, with some of them more enjoyable than AX's even. If it wasn't for that, I would say PMX would have been a bust :razz:. Another thing that was cool is that I got to meet some people I have seen at AX and Ani Magic before, namely Tenshi and Jess the Kitty who make the most amazing Chrono Crusade group and also convinced us to put on our outfits :thumbsup:.

Unless this event grows in size (more cosplayers), I am not sure if I will ever go to it again. I am not saying it totally sucked, but the lack of other cosplayers, the lack of things to do and see, and low attendance doesn't make things very fun. True, stuff like registration was super fast and lines were non-existant but that's because not many people attended.

jtnishi
09-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I've still got today to go to. While the event was distressingly undersized for the facilities, frankly, the convention is pretty good.

Irregardless of the fact that there wasn't any major name guests on the musical side of the list, if you got a chance to go to any of the concerts, you probably had a good time. I've gotten to see about all but 3 of the musical guests at the convention, and all of them are actually pretty good acts. And the cosfest event was relatively well run, with a set of unusually skilled entries (higher skill than average cosplay competitions, especially given the event size).

YoureMyHiro
09-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I thought that it went well, the size was small but quaint. I myself did not cosplay but did enjoy the select few that did and overall I think most of the EGL participants displayed the best work in their outfits in comparison to most anime/game based cosplayers except Don Kanoji, that man is a pimp. The dance was small but I did my best to push it by putting up signs and spreading the good word.

OniCourseMusha
09-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Whoa!! Jesse's here!

There was nothing much to do. Except buy stuff at the Dealers room and check out the cosplayers.

Kokuu
09-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Eh, it was kinda lame. I'm glad I didn't get a hotel and stay for the entire weekend, since one day was plenty. But I did have a lot of fun hanging out with so many of my friends again. It was really nice to go to a convention for once and not have to stress out about getting costumes done. I actually only wore my costume for half a day, and then changed out and walked around in street clothes, since I was having a lot more fun being a photographer and doing photoshoots with friends. I'm thinking if I go next year I'll just be a photographer. I enjoyed the masquerade though. So many really awesome costumes! Also a nice change to be in the audience for once.

So while kinda lame and far too spread out, it was a nice relaxing con.

DaBossKnight
09-05-2005, 07:05 PM
It's a good con for a newbie anime fan to go to. That being my over all thought.

I spent four days there. I was at pregistration but we left early due to the staff's technical diffuculties. We made some friends standing in line, so it wasn't a total waste of time. We came back the next day and actually got done with in 20 mins.

The exhibition hall was so small, it made me kind of sad. The only reason for that is, on the first day I waited almost forever for them to open it. Only to find not much to look at. On the plus side that narrowed down the booths I liked and it was easy for me to find/buy things I liked quickly.

As for the events, they where very easy to locate within a simple walking distance from one another. It wasn't crowded at all (in my own opinion). I can honestly say we enjoyed our selves and made lots of good friends in the process.

Thebakajoe
09-05-2005, 08:04 PM
It does not surprise me that the show was quaint in size. However, I don't think the organizers were looking for a "RECCA" size show. According to the e-mail I received, PMX was expecting 4500 people or more. From what I read here, it does not sound like they got that many.

Did anyone check out Rex Navarrette?

aimee
09-05-2005, 09:14 PM
The Masquerade was really well run and there were so many awesome people who competed. It was awesome. I think PMX having such good awards, good judging and prizes, etc, really brought people out with great costumes. I really enjoyed it.

however, like other people have said, the musical guests weren't that high profile. Going from PLC last year (which was AMAZING) to the guests they had this year, I was really dissappointed.
It seemed like there wasn't really anyone anywhere. When I cosplayed, I felt like I was the ONLY person in costume. People who were part of the con, I didn't see hardly any. It seemed really empty.
Things seemed to be run really well though! Having to go to the Renn to register and then all the way back to the Hyatt, etc, etc. and back was kinda frustrating.

I really like that this con is "anything Asian pop culture" which is REALLY a welcome change from so many cons now-a-days, this is just about the only con where you can compete in non-anime asianculture costumes, and I'm really really grateful for that.
I'd just like to see some better musical guests this year, I don't really know but I'm guessing that that's one of the reasons for the lower # of people? PLC I'm sure was a huge draw ( of course they've broken up so you couldnt get them...!)

Midori Kou
09-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I staffed the whole convention at info desk at the Long Beach Convention Center for the first two days. Personally, the guests we had hit hard on our attendee list. The change was too extreme from last year. I mean, I felt really bad for some of our music guests. Some of them have talent that most people didn't bother to check out. However, next year is going back to the drawing board and going to play out some old ideas. (IE: 2 major bands and a couple of minor ones, non-English)

Despite of this, most of the people who attended did enjoyed their stay.

cynicallywired
09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
I was very disappointed that there weren't a lot of attendees. I realized that more people = more fun (I guess I've been spoiled by the number of people at AX). Granted, it was nice that there weren't any lines but it was kind of depressing. My friends and I did that whole "should we even cosplay b/c I don't see anyone cosplaying" bit. Eventually, we had the courage to dress up.

But anyway, a high profile guest would have been nice. That would have drawn more attendees. Then again, it's only in its 2nd year. It's also during a time where some people start school which probably makes it hard for a lot of people to attend. Anyway, as for the musical guests, I was really surprised that I found myself to like a few of them. I'm also really mad at myself for not buyin' Jane Lui's CD when it was available (we were watchin' cosfest and totally forgot 'bout it). T__T

But yah, hopefully more people will go to PMX next year. Most likely, my friends and I will attend again though.

YoureMyHiro
09-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Did anyone check out Rex Navarrette?
Yes, his standup was awesome and he added a new twist on SBC Packers.

I felt really bad for some of our music guests. Some of them have talent that most people didn't bother to check out.
I feel the same way. I dont believe people were very encouraging either, yeah some of them were "so-so" in my opinion for talent but I wasnt about to walk out on them in the middle of their performance while sitting/standing in the front row with whispers of "this guy/girl sucks." I was only dissapointed with the fact that I was unable to attend Lemon Drop Kick's show, they really kick ass.

kabuki_KILLER
09-05-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, it was a pretty nice and mellow convention, though totally falling in AX's shadow. I still enjoyed cosplaying at this event and I'm happy that my friends (the Macabre DEG group) won a 2nd place award. I had fun taking pictures and being in pictures.

When we were walking around in the Hyatt in my bridal cosplay, some people thought it was MY wedding day and were like, "Congratulations!" It was funny. ^^'

RandomSchoolBoy
09-05-2005, 10:47 PM
I mainly had fun cause all the bands were really friendly, and there were alot of oppertunities to just hang out with them (cant expect that from PLC or TMR ^^;)

I got to sneak in to the Randon Ninjas-Zoo Hero sound check on pre-reg day, and I hung out at the Ninja's Booth most of my time in the Exhibit Hall. Then the Ninja's and Me got to rock out together at the Dig Jelly and Lemon Drop Kick concert. Miyako, LDK vocalist, recgonizes me now everytime I see her and Rayko, DJ Vocalist, helped me get all her band members autographs after they all like just spreaded out.

And I got to introduce Corrinne May (we met in Coasta Mesa) to the Random Ninjas. Which was kool...i guess?

So yeah, Mainly cause I got to get alot closer to the music guests than you'd normally be allowed, I had a great time.

Rogue Marvel
09-05-2005, 10:49 PM
oh yeah I ran into Pine*am a few times and it was cool how they hung around their booth alot and they took some pocky and took a picture of me!

Master Zero
09-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Dude, that was aiiiiiiiight! I got to see the Random Ninjas concert. That was tight!!! Also having people yell out "Hey, Master Zero!!!!" and cheering was funny as hell. But I love ya'll for doing it. Hehehehe. But yeah, I had fun. It was nice meeting all the people that came up and saw me in the Gundam. Thank you all.

El Kaato
09-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I was just disappointed i didn't get to see the Master Zero costume this past weekend. That, i suppose, is my biggest regret.

But yeah, I myself had a decently goodtime meeting a lot of great people, even though our group was neither high nor profile at the time. ;-)

Nekobo
09-06-2005, 12:15 AM
This was my first PMX...and I had a fun time. :)

It was pretty much what I had expected...a near opposite of AX. Smaller crowds, quick lines, no giantic booths, and low profile guests. Or to sum it up, a more laid back and less stressful event compared to the big mess that was AX 2005. I was a bit taken aback by the emptiness in the convention center and by the relatively small dealer room. Still, I managed to enjoy most of what the con had to offer. My girlfriend and I got some sweet deals at the dealer room, which was really nice. I was a tad disappointed we couldn't find some of the stuff we wanted (no Azumanga Daioh manga? no eyeshield 21?? sadness). I hope there'll be more vendors next year, since the was a lack of variety of goods sold. I did enjoy the brief wrestling bouts...I'd never seen a wrestling match up close before, so that was cool. And it was a good idea to sell food and drinks inside, too.

The Cosfest was alright, too. Some were repeats from AX, but I didn't mind since they were good costumes to begin with. Great host, too. Afterwards, we ran into a big of a snag when my friend realized he lost his phone and keys. Luckily some two hours later we managed to get them back from the Lost and Found. Thank you to who ever turned in a set of keys and cellphone...you saved our day!

After that, I had some fun chatting with the Ichigo cosplayer that was holding that huge Soul Slayer. I got a chance to actually hold it...and seriously, I almost toppled over! That thing weighed a ton, since it was made of thick oak with a metal hilt. Much props to that guy for bearing that weight, all in the name of cosplay. I'll post up a picture this weekend of me close to toppling over while holding it.

After that, we went to the Karoake room. It was first time we actually participated at one of these, so it was fun. I recorded my gf and Asuma's Fire singing Life is Like a Boat. Fun times. We visited the Dance. It was pretty dead, since no one was dancing. After that, we went to the Lemon Drop Kick concert. It was a bit sad seeing that the room was almost empty. Despite that, they rocked hard. We had a blast dancing up near the stage with a small group of people. I hope that up for the lack of a crowd. Good stuff...I hope they come back again next year. After that, we just hung around and chatting with the other attendees till 1am. The nice thing about going to a small con is that you'll run into the same people on a regular basis and get a chance to get to know some of them.

So overall, I had a great time at PMX. I was only let down by the small number of vendors in the deal room and the sometimes quiet mood of the convention center. I hope that more people will cosplay next year. I hope I will. I'm glad we didn't have to deal with long lines and uninformed volunteers. Registration was an absolute breeze compared to the nightmare that was AX registration. The area itself, Long Beach Pike, was also a nice place to hang out, too. We had a nice time sight seeing and riding the Ferris Wheel. There's a lot more to see than over at Anaheim. I hope you guys will have it at the LBCC again, since it seems that PMX doesn't really need the massive ACC.

Anywho, sorry for the long, blog-esque post. I'll look forward to next year's event! I hope to meet some of you guys by then.

Super No 1
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
It was fantastic!
It was amazing!

I didn't take as much cosplay photos as I usually do because I was busy with my entertainment photographer gig, but I did pass up an opportunity of a lifetime to shoot Cosfest and support my friends who participated in that.

All of the musical guests were wonderful as well. I had fun jumping around in the Random Ninjas pit today. I just felt like being crazy today since the first two days were a lot of hard, but fun work.

Rex Navarrete is cool.

It was nice to see everybody again and thanks to all of my new friends who introduced themselves to me.

april18
09-06-2005, 12:21 AM
personally, i had a great time at PMX, and i didn't even see the cosfest! (which i HIGHLY regret) but i still had a lot of fun.

what i like about PMX was that it wasn't only anime, but other genres of music as well. and the dealer's hall wasn't too big, but i found evrything that i needed. and all the cosplayers i took pictures of were absolutely wonderful! really exquisite work. great job to eveyone who cosplayed!!! i wish i had the time to make a costume for it.

what i REALLY came for was the random ninjas. i saw both shows and they were pretty wonderful. and all the band members are really fun and they put on a great performance. and in addition to the random ninjas<3 i got to rock out with dig jelly, lemon drop kick, and zoo hero. they were all really great bands that KNOW how to have fun! i highly recommend that anyone curious check these four bands out.
oh, and i ALSO got to catch rex navarette show! he was so hilarious!!!!

all in all, i had a great time at PMX and i really think that if the word gets out there, it has the potential to be a great con. and although it's not as big as AX, i had a blast doing both anime and non-anime related things ^_^ which made it all the better.

Aya Mizu
09-06-2005, 12:38 AM
It was more empty than I expected but it was also really nice not feeling overcrowded at every turn and since it's only the second year, I'm sure this convention will grow by leaps and bounds as time passes. They've already done a great job on GoHs last year with PLC and this year with Daisuke Moriyama, Seiji Mizushima, Masaki Asai, etc. so I'm really looking forward to what's to come in the future :)

Evil Bishounen
09-06-2005, 12:53 AM
PMX was ok. I probably would have enjoyed it more though if I hadn't been so high-strung for the first day and a half.

CosFest was run VERY well. It was the first masquerade I've EVER seen start ON TIME!!! And the pizza party afterward for the entrants was VERY much appreciated. I was starving. T_T

Unfortunately, I ended up missing both Random Ninjas concerts >_< That sucked, because that was one of the things I had wanted to see. I did get to see a little of Yousei Teikoku though, and they put on a good show for the small room they were in. I ended up leaving after a few songs though - not because of the group itself (I did like them), but because my feet hurt so much that I didn't want to stand around in one place for as long as the concert would have lasted.

Attendance level was about what I expected.

Registration was great. And huzzah for LANYARDS!

On the flip side: I hadn't been in the Long Beach location since AX 2002. However, shortly after arriving at PMX, I remembered just how much I hated that area. The layout is way too awkward if you aren't staying in the Hyatt hotel. Way too much walking; and a good chunk of that walking ends up being ridiculously roundabout, with how the convention center sits in that weird two-level layout in the middle of those other buildings. (A personal nitpick, but I also don't like how windy Long Beach is. It isn't kind to costumes.)

I do hope PMX continues, but I also hope they change locations. I preferred Anaheim.

moonrabitt
09-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Didn't seem as big as last year (and way smaller than Anime Expo, but less crowed ^^,) And I also got lost,first time at the Long Beach Convention, my dad was like "Are you sure it's today?I see no one" and I was *_*..but after 20 mins. I found it...(Like said, a very akward Location)
-Why is it not as popular as Anime Expo? Is it that month? Or the fact that it's a baby convention on it's 2d year? Hopefully it will be Bigger next year...(Or maybe it was that it was MONDAY?)
-Spent most of the time in the dealers section, and the food $$$, And the CHARITY AUCTION! Didn't win a bid, but good times, good times...

Midori Kou
09-06-2005, 01:54 AM
evilbishounen:
If PMX returns to Anaheim, we have to be big enough to accommodate the costs of renting out the rooms. (They can be really expensive, especially when most of our funds come out of Mike Tatsugawa's pockets... Literally.) Most people had commented to me directly that they liked being in Long Beach, but rather stay in one building than run around. That's perfectly understandable if you want to find things easily and have it simple. Give it time and it'll happen. =3

moonrabitt:
Most people believe the reason that PMX wasn't as active like last year for the following reasons:

1) No major guests.
2) It begins when people are now in school.
3) It branched away too quickly from what it started with.

All of that is going to be worked on for next year. Especially with the plan that Mike has in store.

jtnishi
09-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Actually, the reason Mike gave at gripe for the lower attendance was equally plausible: $3/gal gas, and Hurricane Katrina.

Apparently, the reg numbers were on track to probably about match last year's numbers, but there were a lot of no shows that turned up last minute because of the situation out east.

As for why it isn't as popular as AX, it's only 2 years old.

Gekko
09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I was disappointed. After hearing PMX as the "Premier" con and hearing how they've improved from last year's mess, they still fell short.

They really need to stop calling themselves the premier con of asian pop culture.

Evil Bishounen
09-06-2005, 02:49 PM
They really need to stop calling themselves the premier con of asian pop culture.
Well, in all technicalities, they are. They're the only Asian pop culture convention, so they kinda take that title by default. :razz:

If PMX returns to Anaheim, we have to be big enough to accommodate the costs of renting out the rooms. (They can be really expensive, especially when most of our funds come out of Mike Tatsugawa's pockets... Literally.) Most people had commented to me directly that they liked being in Long Beach, but rather stay in one building than run around. That's perfectly understandable if you want to find things easily and have it simple. Give it time and it'll happen. =3
I can definitely understand the location switch then, if it's a matter of cost differences. And being in one building would definitely cut down on the walking around and make the con feel more populated. I'll just have to make sure that my buddies and I room in the Hyatt next time.

AgentSakur9
09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
I enjoyed myself... I don't really know how to compare it to last year.

CosFest was awesome. Just like last year, It was fun. Although my finger is a bit sore from snapping so many pictures.

As for venue, I kind of liked the long beach venue considering how much needed to be covered. Running from where the concerts were to lets say the Karaoke Contest wasn't tiring at all. I was actually able to cover BOTH events at the same time.

One thing I noticed though... It didn't seem like there was a lot of Hall Cosplay. Maybe it was just us.

All and all it was an enjoyable show.

**goes back to iTunes to get some Corrinne May Tracks**

ZiggyB
09-06-2005, 05:35 PM
I have to agree, Rex Navarrete was very fun! I think him and CosFest were the only two official events I attended. Although the Origami panel was great as well.

I was really sad about the low attendance, and I think that gas prices and the current situation in America is a big factor.

After splitting the costs of gas to drive down to Long Beach from the SF area, it was $90, split between 3 people. Normally it is not that high. 8-/ So I can see why fewer people decided to drive in.

As for the convention area and surrounding resturants, it was great! I've always liked the LBCC. It's a beautiful convention center along with a lagoon, fountains and little walkable islands behind the Hyatt. For me who was taking photos all weekend, it was a fantastic backdrop.

I do hope PMX returns to that convention center next year.

CrimsonYoukai
09-06-2005, 06:58 PM
The convention was a nice change from the Anime Expo. All my energy was so sapped from it, but like someone metioned earlier, they all kinda balanced out. Anime Expo ALOT of things and people, PMX small and not alot of people. (The Anime Expo made up for the emptiness of PMX) lol.

I was thinking it was gonna be like the AX a bit, so i even arrived there an hour early before registration. ~.~ Smart move, huh? The convention center LITERALLY DIDN'T EVEN OPEN till 10 (they were punctual, and didn't let anyone in). Nor did many people show up!! I imagined a huge line already!! (im used to the AX lines already)

In the inside it was sooo.... lonely... empty... Like it was the last day of the AX or something. (but even the AX had more people walking around after the con already ended)

The exhibit hall WAS small.. but atleast i found a wide range of stuff. (didn't see any hentai surprisingly... >.> Or those Yaoi paddles) And it kinda had its advantage because atleast there wasn't like 10 different booths with the same products. T.T I can't ever decide where to buy my manga when they all sell the same thing anyway. lol.

To tell the truth, if it wasn't for the few who did cosplay (who were VERY VERY GOOD!! Like amateur-pros almost!!!), the Cosfest, Random Ninjas, and the Rex Navarette Show the thing would have been a bust.

Things should better pick by next year... : ( They're gonna be losing a good amount of potential veterans to their con if they don't. (course i don't want it to turn into a ANIME EXPO JR.) >_< Please don't get too corporatized and/or as crazy as the Anime Expo. We only need one of those a year. XDDD

icebunny
09-06-2005, 11:52 PM
I had a lot of fun!!!! I staffed the whole con but managed to have time to put on my lolita outfit and attend the Twisted tea party :D

Saw Rex (he's awsome!) and CosFest. It was great!

The boba dealer in EH was great! The airsoft shooting gallery was awsome!!! I got to shoot of couple of rounds. Talk about adrineline rush.

I also got to hang out with the two girls that won the Twisted tea party on Sunday night... sorry I can't recall your names but I have your livejournal names!!! I will visit you guys soon :D

I totally agree that the con should be in one hotel or closer so the con don't feel so spars. Let's all wish for a better PMX!!!

Oh yea, there's one comment I wanna make... PMX is NOT trying to be AX. It wants to be as much as the opposite of AX as possible. We want to be a community con that caters to the fans. Not having everything so huge with long lines and waiting for hours.

So... hurray for PMX!

lakai
09-07-2005, 03:19 AM
I thought it was fun and boring at the same time. kinda sad to see the small amount of people in the concert. The con itself felt empty, i knew it was gonna be small but damn! Well at least it was mellow and more laid back then Anime expo.There were hardly to no staff in the hyatt, you could literly walk in the video room with no badge. I actually paid for my 20 buck for my ticket on sunday for monday but they end up giving us the full pass(thanks). Any of you guys notice us we were the two skateborders riding around at the con. actually thought long beach was the best place to host, it just needs its time to grow, pmx will find itself in the future. All in all it was decent, glad i skated around looking at cute cosplay girls, Dig jelly gave a mad concert!

Thebakajoe
09-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh yea, there's one comment I wanna make... PMX is NOT trying to be AX. It wants to be as much as the opposite of AX as possible. We want to be a community con that caters to the fans. Not having everything so huge with long lines and waiting for hours.

I think the planners of the event did indeed want this to be a bigger show. I believe 3500 to 6000 was their goal. A quote from an e-mail I was forwarded:

"The convention will be held at the Long Beach Convention Center from September 3rd to the 5th. Attendence is expected at approximately 4,000, if not
higher."

I think PMX would be a great small show to attract a new brand of fans, but that is hardly Mike T's style.

Erik Kellstrom
09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone, Me and my buds had a fun time on sunday. I had a nice time at the masquerade and pizza party afterwards. There are other events going off that weekend and there had been a few conventions that month. i`m sorry to say this. thank you pmx folks for a nice time. :-)

KamisButterfly
09-08-2005, 08:45 PM
It was ok.I went as Ryo of Rentrer en Soi. I kind of already knew that there was not going to be many people so I only went on Sunday. Last year was great and I had so much fun but this year was boring. Then again how could PMX top their first year that had Psycho le cemu and TM Revolution. I think what they lacked was a big name concert. There was lots of people last year because PLC and TMR were there. But no big name this year equals low attendence. Also it was better in Anaheim cause everything was close. Nevertheless it was alright.

moonrabitt
09-09-2005, 03:23 PM
All of that is going to be worked on for next year. Especially with the plan that Mike has in store.
Good, I'll look forward to it next Year...any plans on moving it to another month? October(Halloween), or maybe when school is off, so more pep. can go...

-Hopefully it will have more contests, or something to bring more pep...
-And hopefully it will be in one Location (all that running around got me lost
:( )

dst
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I enjoyed PMX05 alot! Plenty of stuff to do and the staff was excellent.
Lemon Drop Kick and Random Ninja's rocked but there were alittle too few people at the concerts. Way too few people at the 'Club PMX'. Too few people all around but I did like the lack of crouds and lines. Most everything was planned well but the schedule could be improved. Kareoke was fun.

I had a very good time and will be back in '06, I just hope that more people will show up then ^_^.

Asakura
09-15-2005, 06:59 PM
It was very, very small. Quite a let-down after last year. I still had fun though, it was a nice quiet convention for the most part, but I'd like to see just a few more cosplayers (and attendees in general) at next year's PMX.

Tonomura Bix
09-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Well despite the fact that there were no big name guests, I still had a blast! ^^

I too am one of the sad people who missed CosFest (me and my friends were distracted by the Origami booth in the Exhibitor's Hall... they just kept showing us cool stuff and we're so easily amused, we were totally sucked in! XD), especially because some of my friends had entered. BUT, me and some of mah crew (haha) went and saw both Random Ninjas concerts, which I totally loved. <3 The band was so fun and energetic, and I was so happy when we were yanked up to the front to jump around like crazy. XD I only wish we could have seen more of the musical guests. And we also saw Rex Navarette, who was hilarious. XD I wanted to buy his DVD, but when I had gone into the dealer's room on the last day it was no where to be found. ;o;

My main gripes are that being back in Long Beach (haven't been there since AX02) reminded me how I didn't really like it there... everything is really spread out, and we were staying in the Renaissance to make it worse. PLUS, we were harrassed more than a few times by normal people, and then later in the evening by drunks and homeless. There were a few times where I was actually worried about our saftey. That was by far the worst we've ever had at a con. o_O I was also dissapointed that there weren't more big name guests (and no big name bands at that, since I went to PMX last year for Psycho le Cemu... but I'm open minded about music so ya ^^), not to discredit any of the awesome guests that we did see however. ^_^ I also wish more cosplayers would have beent here... I swear at times it didn't even feel like we were at a con. o.o

But despite that, I got to hang out with friends who I only get to see at cons, and I had so much fun with them that it made up for the bad stuff. ^_^ Just, if it's going to be in Long Beach again... please beef up security... or get more policeman roaming the streets. Anything to help defend us poor cosplayers against large, scary drunk people. ^^;

Akira-Kun
09-17-2005, 11:02 PM
My main gripes are that being back in Long Beach (haven't been there since AX02) reminded me how I didn't really like it there... everything is really spread out, and we were staying in the Renaissance to make it worse. PLUS, we were harrassed more than a few times by normal people, and then later in the evening by drunks and homeless. There were a few times where I was actually worried about our saftey. That was by far the worst we've ever had at a con. o_O I was also dissapointed that there weren't more big name guests (and no big name bands at that, since I went to PMX last year for Psycho le Cemu... but I'm open minded about music so ya ^^), not to discredit any of the awesome guests that we did see however. ^_^ I also wish more cosplayers would have beent here... I swear at times it didn't even feel like we were at a con. o.o

But despite that, I got to hang out with friends who I only get to see at cons, and I had so much fun with them that it made up for the bad stuff. ^_^ Just, if it's going to be in Long Beach again... please beef up security... or get more policeman roaming the streets. Anything to help defend us poor cosplayers against large, scary drunk people. ^^;

You're not the only one who thought the neighborhood and surrounding area was kind of trashy. Sure the area is physically nice (except for the days where there was a major stench of gas/oil from the refineries) but the non-con going people there were pretty ugh. Homeless people, groups of guys dressed in gang attire (and they were not cosplaying btw), and the general wtf looks from non-con guests and hotel staff made things pretty uncomfortable.

This is a far cry than what I'm used to at the Anaheim Convention Center, where everything is enclosed and the staff there more familiar with the cosplay and anime scene (the bellhop we spoke to knew of it well enough). I'm just wondering how AX will be when it goes to Long Beach :rolleyes:.

Tonomura Bix
09-18-2005, 08:39 AM
You're not the only one who thought the neighborhood and surrounding area was kind of trashy. Sure the area is physically nice (except for the days where there was a major stench of gas/oil from the refineries) but the non-con going people there were pretty ugh. Homeless people, groups of guys dressed in gang attire (and they were not cosplaying btw), and the general wtf looks from non-con guests and hotel staff made things pretty uncomfortable.

This is a far cry than what I'm used to at the Anaheim Convention Center, where everything is enclosed and the staff there more familiar with the cosplay and anime scene (the bellhop we spoke to knew of it well enough). I'm just wondering how AX will be when it goes to Long Beach :rolleyes:.

Ya, I'm glad we aren't the only ones who noticed that kind of thing. ^^; Some of our friends told us they were being followed by some guys too at times. o_o; I mean, I'm used to getting some weird stares from non-con people, and asked stuff about what's going on.. I don't mind that as long as they're being nice about it... but there were some people I seriously just wanted to throw something at. :untrust:

Maybe when AX is there it'll be better because there will be a lot more cosplayers and people in general... but I dunno... I really wish both AX and PMX would just stick to the Anaheim Convention Center. -.-

Evil Bishounen
09-18-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm just wondering how AX will be when it goes to Long Beach :rolleyes:.
AX was in Long Beach for 2001 and 2002.

They had lines to get into the dealer's hall throughout the entire con in 2002 because the number of attendees that wanted to go in was apparently deemed a fire hazard by the local authorities. They would only let chunks of people in at a time. It sucked, and I hope that doesn't get repeated when AX goes back in 2007.

Captain Gundam
09-18-2005, 11:22 PM
For me it would be better that PMX and AX would be at Long Beach . I'll i have to do to get there is Take the MTA blue line to the last stop and walk the remainder there. But I see the problems you guys can face so i understand.

Akira-Kun
09-21-2005, 12:43 AM
AX was in Long Beach for 2001 and 2002.

They had lines to get into the dealer's hall throughout the entire con in 2002 because the number of attendees that wanted to go in was apparently deemed a fire hazard by the local authorities. They would only let chunks of people in at a time. It sucked, and I hope that doesn't get repeated when AX goes back in 2007.

I know AX was in Long Beach before as I went to my first AX in 2002. Crowded, long lines, and general suckage, I remember it. Though I know some people here seem to like the Long Beach location better, I still prefer Anaheim a lot more for various reasons.

And are you not the singing Orochimaru during Cosfest? If so, I thought your skit was awesome :). I never seen a masquerade skit that involved actual singing before.

Evil Bishounen
09-21-2005, 02:15 AM
I know AX was in Long Beach before as I went to my first AX in 2002. Crowded, long lines, and general suckage, I remember it. Though I know some people here seem to like the Long Beach location better, I still prefer Anaheim a lot more for various reasons.
Ah, so you got to experience the annoyance as well... I wonder how it'll get handled now that AX is twice as big as it was in 2002 @.@

And are you not the singing Orochimaru during Cosfest? If so, I thought your skit was awesome :). I never seen a masquerade skit that involved actual singing before.
*LAUGH* Yeah, that was me. Thanks XD I had to throw the majority of it together in about 2-3 hours, so I couldn't have prerecorded even if I'd wanted to. (But that's ok, I'd wanted the excuse to sing on stage anyway. :razz: I just wish I'd had more time to practice my lines!)

kabuki_KILLER
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
*LAUGH* Yeah, that was me. Thanks XD I had to throw the majority of it together in about 2-3 hours, so I couldn't have prerecorded even if I'd wanted to. (But that's ok, I'd wanted the excuse to sing on stage anyway. :razz: I just wish I'd had more time to practice my lines!)
Man, both my friend and I thought that your running around onstage in the middle of the performance was part of the act. We were outside for a sec, but when we heard the Orochimaru music, we rushed back in. She claims to like Orochimaru more, but we all know I do. I'm the psycho anime otaku woman. ^_^ Hooray for a singing act by someone that CAN sing. :thumbsup: