PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial for my Jinx wig (also useful for other crazy gravity-defying styles)

Sarcasm-hime
09-07-2005, 09:41 PM
So many people have asked how I did my Jinx (http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=455590) wig that I've put up a tutorial. I wish I'd taken pics of it in progress... :(

But anyways, here's the tutorial: http://costuming.org/jinx-tutorial.html

Eleryth
09-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Crazy awesome! Thanks!

Few questions...

1. You mentioned a mid-length wig. I know many people like using Femme Fatale as a starting base; is that about the same length as the wig you used?
2. You cut the wefts out - as loose hair? From all under the horns? So that the entire horn is sitting on wignetting and not on any hair?

It's super cute on you, you did a great job.

Sarcasm-hime
09-07-2005, 10:23 PM
1. I used an Alicia wig, which is a little longer than a Femme Fatale I think, but as long as it's long enough to reach to the tips of whatever you're using as a base, it's fine.

2. The wig I used (like many wigs) doesn't have a full lace netting, as in the sides and back are just vertical strips of elastic lace with horizontal tracks of hair attached to them. These are what I removed; I cut out sections of the vertical strips and the horizontal tracks that were directly under the horns, then sewed the edges of the horns to the strips/tracks around them. So directly under the horns, there is effectively a hole in the wig, but you can't see that except from the inside.

Sushi Pirate
09-08-2005, 11:55 AM
Absolutely wonderful!! Its a very helpful tutorial and a beautiful wig!! ^^

WoggyWooWoo
09-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Thank you so much for posting that. I have to do a wig with a similar style, and I've been trying to figure out exactly how to do it. I had already had it pretty much worked out, but your tutorial affirmed that my plans would work ^^

TribalButterfly
09-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Oh, this is going to b very helpful for a lot of people. very generous of u to post it!

I saw u at CNAnime this year n i thought ur wig was incredible!!!! I had to explaine to my friends who u were dressed up as because i was getting so hyper over how amazing ur wig looked! Haha!

700th Post! Yay!

Tenebrae
09-11-2005, 10:19 AM
This is absolutely amazing and exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find. I have heard of people using styrofoam as a wig base to create crazy shapes, but have never seen a tutorial or the finished product like this.
When you mentioned using felt to cover the styrofoam, I at first thought about Katie's odango demo where she mentioned spraypainting the balls to match and wondered why you bothered using fabric. With horns that size, the fabric gives something to use to attach them to the wig base so it all makes sense now.
Thank you so much for sharing your secrets!
Awesome job.
Oh, and by the way, I found a source for stripeys with wider stripes. :)

-Tenebrae.

Sarcasm-hime
09-12-2005, 01:49 AM
When you mentioned using felt to cover the styrofoam, I at first thought about Katie's odango demo where she mentioned spraypainting the balls to match and wondered why you bothered using fabric. With horns that size, the fabric gives something to use to attach them to the wig base so it all makes sense now.
Thank you so much for sharing your secrets!
Awesome job.
Oh, and by the way, I found a source for stripeys with wider stripes. :)

-Tenebrae.

Also, spraypaint can dissolve styrofoam, so be ye warned.

As for the wide stripeys......*bats eyelashes hopefully*

Tenebrae
09-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Ooh...thanks for the warning.

www.sock-dreams.com has an insane amount of striped socks, thigh-highs, and tights.
Here's a pair that are specifically listed as wide striped tights AND they come in black and purple:
http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pages/product_detail_ProductID_190.php
I'm not sure if they're as wide as the character's (not sure what she looks like), but certainly much wider than the ones you're wearing.
I plug Sock Dreams (and syfabrics.com) so much that I was worried I'd come off as a spammer. heh

-Tenebrae.