PDA

View Full Version : Best Camera and What do you Use?

Dark_Anime_San
09-09-2005, 12:13 AM
First i was wondering what's the type that most people use....I'm guessing Digital Camera's.....and what would you say is the best camera to use for taking pictures of people.....and what do you think of using Disposable Camera's and SLR Cameras for photography of cosplay? Thanks ^.^

ZiggyB
09-09-2005, 01:49 AM
There's a good discussion about SLRs in this thread:

http://forums.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=67074

Eriol
09-09-2005, 10:52 AM
As mentioned by several photographers here, the techniques of taking photos have a very large impact on your photos. Even with a modest camera, if you understand the concepts of photography, your photos will go far.

I started reading some photography sites, and it's amazing what results you can get from simply how you hold your camera and where you take the shot.

Learn photography skills. Then get the camera.

jtnishi
09-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Repeat after me:

"The best camera for a photographer, is the camera he/she is most comfortable with using, and which provides the controls & freedom that the photographer wants."

(usually included with the caveat that it should also be a camera within the affordability range of the photographer; I don't think anyone wants to be stuck eating instant ramen just for the camera of their dreams XD).

If you don't feel comfortable using a camera, or if the limitations of the camera are annoying, then you don't have an appropriate camera, period. Expensive does not necessarily equal better. For some people, disposable cameras provide enough control & comfort for use. And that's fine. For others, they don't feel like they have enough control unless they use a fully manual SLR, and that's fine as well. Just don't pick a camera that will annoy the heck out of you, or else you may regret your decision.

Eriol is right that skill matters. Of course, it's kind of hard to learn any photography skills except in theory without some sort of camera to practice with. But there's always someplace to start.

Eriol
09-09-2005, 08:42 PM
Eriol is right that skill matters. Of course, it's kind of hard to learn any photography skills except in theory without some sort of camera to practice with. But there's always someplace to start.

I'll concede that one needs a camera to improve one's skills. In that regard, going with an inexpensive camera that is comfortable to the user would be a good place to start learning the skills. As you learn more skills, that person can move on to another camera.

Remember my camera equipment thread? I was evaluating possibilities for a DSLR. But after reading about the expenses and evaluating my newbie photography skills, I'm delaying that hefty purchase until I learn how to compose and expose, as one website summarized about photography.

shiroin
09-12-2005, 02:52 AM
almost any DSLR are better than your average P&S cameras because of their RAW support.
with RAW post adjustments are just a piece of cake.
I suggest any Nikon D50 for DSLR (D70s if you have more budget)
the kit for D50 is not really goot (17-55mm f/4-5.6) i would suggest the kit lens for D70s (18-70mm f/3.5-4.5) as a good all rounded starter lens :)

gmontem
09-12-2005, 08:52 AM
A little trivia here: Canon's PowerShot Gx cameras have been producing RAW files since the G1 which came out before their first DSLR camera. ;)

Cikgu101
09-24-2005, 09:35 AM
almost any DSLR are better than your average P&S cameras because of their RAW support.
with RAW post adjustments are just a piece of cake.
I suggest any Nikon D50 for DSLR (D70s if you have more budget)
the kit for D50 is not really goot (17-55mm f/4-5.6) i would suggest the kit lens for D70s (18-70mm f/3.5-4.5) as a good all rounded starter lens :)

D50 user here since July. I'm very comfortable with it even with its basic kit lens but I might use another lens for my next cospaly event.
Picture Quality is very impressive using a DSLR :skidude2:

shiroin
09-24-2005, 06:32 PM
D50 user here since July. I'm very comfortable with it even with its basic kit lens but I might use another lens for my next cospaly event.
Picture Quality is very impressive using a DSLR :skidude2:
indeed D50 is a truely affordable and quality camera.

but then the kit lens.... the 18-55 f/4-5.6 isnt really a impressive lens...

tfcreate
09-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Well, for field work I've been using a Fuji4900 for the last 5 years or so. It's a good reliable work horse and, aside from it's willingness to drink battery power.
For indoor and controled work the Nikon D50 is my choice. I just got a D100 that I'm evaluating. And A DS1 that shows a little promise.
TFC

didjiman
09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
While I am a great believer of RAW mode and only shoot in RAW mode, for beginners, who cares? Most cameras have decent JPG conversion. RAW is for the perfectionists who want the total control. Learn the camera techniques first, then worry about the RAW mode and other stuff.

Heck, if not for the colorful costumes, the best camera to learn photography is probably a manual focus SLR with a single prime lens loaded with Tri-X and process your own :-)

tfcreate
10-08-2005, 02:02 AM
http://www.hobbyfan.com/albums/album554/minmei188.jpg

Just as an example,The above photo is from a Fuji4900, 2.4Mp. This camera is obsolete. I always maintain that if someone is serious about photography, they should be using their camera every day, even if it's just a picture of the dog, or of a tree or anything. I set this shot up in 10 minutes with a resin model, an old christmas tree stand and a poster I got as a door prize.
TFC

shiroin
10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
it just happened that I also did a shot based on figures recently (due to extreme bordem)
didnt do it with some GK but rather one of those smaller and premade ones.
curiously enough I actually spend more than a hour taking many experimental shots, reevaulating them on my computer, and refining them...

and here is the result:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/23743153/

tfcreate
10-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Nice shot!
It's always important to just get something throught the lens. Artistry may endure, but photography is a perishable skill. Practice, practice practice.... and when you have it nailed.... practice some more....
TFC