PDA

View Full Version : Time Traveler's Ball, anyone going?

mocha
09-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I noticed this on the list of events for AWA. The director says that around 500 people have already signed up! o_o I'm still debating on it because it's formal...meaning I have to come up with something kind of quick. So how many of you guys are going and what are you wearing? ^_^

livvylove
09-10-2005, 02:11 PM
I am going, I will probably reuse one of my prom or semi dressy dresses since I spent so much on those and only wore them once.

UnwantedKikyo
09-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Im going and no idea what im wearing...>.>;...still have to come up for something for that.

Bagu
09-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Im going and no idea what im wearing...>.>;...still have to come up for something for that.

To be honest, thats the entire downer of this event. They're putting such a restriction on "formal" (what is and what isn't) that you have to pack a tuxedo along with the other custumes one might bring just to attend. Its moronic.

I asked if we could come in suit and tie, and they said that wasn't formal enough.. ><.

So..the Ball lost my vote in favor of the Bebop Lounge instead.

mocha
09-10-2005, 04:47 PM
To be honest, thats the entire downer of this event. They're putting such a restriction on "formal" (what is and what isn't) that you have to pack a tuxedo along with the other custumes one might bring just to attend. Its moronic.

I asked if we could come in suit and tie, and they said that wasn't formal enough.. ><.

So..the Ball lost my vote in favor of the Bebop Lounge instead.

OMG are you serious?? Wow...my standards must be low or something cause I could have sworn that suits and ties WERE formal. :sulk: Can't say I blame you.

Bagu
09-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I think you're going to see a lot of people get turned away because of the dress code. Its seems the only suit type for the guys they're excepting are tuxedos. You can easily put a tie on the leisure suit and collared shirt and it would be fine.

UnwantedKikyo
09-11-2005, 01:15 PM
I think you're going to see a lot of people get turned away because of the dress code. Its seems the only suit type for the guys they're excepting are tuxedos. You can easily put a tie on the leisure suit and collared shirt and it would be fine.

Yeah, I completly agree with that. I was still debating on going even though i bought the ticket to it. Cause you know I didnt even wear a prom dress to prom (Gothic lolita all the way for me) And i doubt they will allow it. : /. So we'll see.

scandia
09-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm attending. I will be wearing Oscar's ballgown. Can't wait.

livvylove
09-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I swore on the FAQ a suit and tie was considered OK. When did they change that because that is what my boyfriend was planning on wearing, renting a tux for a con is plain out stupid and a waste of money.

For Men:
# White tie/Tailcoat: Yes.
# Black tie/Tuxedo: Yes.
# Dark suit & Tie: Yes.
# Leisure Suits: No.
# Jeans: No.
# Tank tops/T-Shirts: No.

Bagu
09-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I swore on the FAQ a suit and tie was considered OK. When did they change that because that is what my boyfriend was planning on wearing, renting a tux for a con is plain out stupid and a waste of money.

I think they said a suit and tie were fine as long as it is black....
:eeek:

livvylove
09-11-2005, 07:43 PM
I think they said a suit and tie were fine as long as it is black....
:eeek:
Ok good, that is what he has. I don't see what the big deal is if someone wears a suit that is a different color other then black. Oh well. We are bringing stuff for both the formal dance and the cowboy bebop lounge.

JasonMerrill
09-11-2005, 09:19 PM
Suit and Tie would be fine. I was following the other guidelines for "Black Tie" that I found other places. What we are trying to avoid are sport coats, linen suits, and items that are more "business casual" in nature. Dark suits look best along side Tuxedos. No other reason. We won't be turning away gentlemen in suits.

We do have a Tuxedo rental agreement with After Hours. You can get measured at any one of their stores and mention "AWA" and their Cumberland mall location. You then pickup the Tuxedo once you get to AWA and return it the next day. They are across the pedestrian bridge from the convention center. Psycho Sisters in Atlanta is offering 20% off vintage Formal wear with the coupon off our web site.

We are having to be stricter due to the number of attendees who did not follow the dress code last year. One does not wear an untucked dress shirt (no jacket or tie) to a formal or even semi-formal event. That was pretty much the number one complaint we got about the Ball last year. All the other complaints have been addressed as well (larger room, better sound system for the string quartet, etc).

It is a Formal Ballroom dancing event. I know that's not everyone's thing. If you are not interested in dressing up in a suit or gown, then this is probably not the event for you. There is a Peelander-Z concert that night and other dances/events for Saturday night.

Jason

livvylove
09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
This is what my boyfriend plans on wearing but buttoned up with a tie and no crosses

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=17020&member=30249

WashuOtaku
09-11-2005, 10:43 PM
I, for one, will not be there. Have fun kids!

JasonMerrill
09-11-2005, 11:48 PM
This is what my boyfriend plans on wearing but buttoned up with a tie and no crosses

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=17020&member=30249

That's fine. The cross might be a bit difficult to dance with anyway... :)

Jason

mocha
09-12-2005, 12:06 AM
That's fine. The cross might be a bit difficult to dance with anyway... :)

Jason

So what qualifies for female formalwear? Does it have to be something like a prom/wedding type dress? I have dresses, but I wanted do something cosplay related and I'm not sure if the ones I have in mind are acceptable.

livvylove
09-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I have a semi formal dress that I plan on wearing I think it will be ok but I will probably find a photo of me in it, hey it's from 1999 so it's from the past. I rather not wear my prom dresses because I had a hard time walking in them without steping on them and this dress stops at my ankles and has a slit in the back so it's easy to move in.

Miss Vash
09-12-2005, 03:30 PM
^_^ I'll be going. I'm actually teaching some of the people in the group that I'm going with how to dance. I've heard that there will be some swing music also, is this true? Not that it matters though. I can swing dance (lifts & all) but I wouldn't be able to in my dress. I plan on going as Queen Elizabeth. ^_^

livvylove
09-12-2005, 11:08 PM
I have been trying to learn the Waltz, I got the basic box step down and one turn. I will probably sign us up for dance lessons later on when he isn't so busy with school.

Miss Vash
09-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Does anyone have the website for the people that took the pictures for the Ball? I took one of their cards but lost it. :(

Thanks in advance for the help!!!

hoshi-p
09-27-2005, 03:14 AM
Here's the site address:

http://www.davenelson.com/awa

scandia
09-27-2005, 05:49 AM
I had so much fun at the ball. Got to dance with two different people. Not to mention the flamenco dance was a blast.

livvylove
09-27-2005, 09:51 AM
oh man the dance was great, I wish the food would have come out sooner then I would have had more energy and stayed longer but I ended up being so tired from hunger even after I ate that I left early. But this was much better then my own prom. It was beautiful.

Miss Vash
09-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, it was a blast! I was so thrilled when they played swing music. That's my favorite kind of dancing. ^_^