PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Con Camera?

Bagu
09-10-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm kind of curious to what camera (point and shoot) people use in their member galleries.

This thread is for your average con goer, because I doubt we're all walking around with $3k digital cameras..

Sephirosu-sama
09-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Mine is a Canon EOS Kiss Digital N. Its a rather nice digital SLR that I bought in Japan when it was absolutely brand new to the market. I got a second lense with it as well, although I've only ever used the general one. It takes some really gorgeous photographs, particularly if I use it with the mini-tripod I bought at the same time! :)

black shinigami
09-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Mine's a digital camera. It's Fujifilm but I dunno what model. It's chunky but not huge.

Elemental
09-10-2005, 08:23 PM
The Canon SD300. Small, sleek, metal body, lithium battery and compact enough to be built descreetly into my costumes so that I can still take pictures without carrying a camera in every photo of me. It's got the Digic II processor which means I take photos twice as fast (two and a half second wait time for flash, ZERO for writing to card)as anyone else, and I catch candid moments and odd fun things a lot more.

The colour balance is nice, the images are sharp, and I adore this thing when shooting outdoors. I did need a second battery for the weekend's worth of shooting, as I'm normally taking 200+ on a Saturday, and it does have problems with the colour purple, but a bit of post processing fixes that pretty easily. Retails for $349 Canadian currently, and is a discontinued model as Canon does not want a 4mp luxury class camera.

Why yes, I work for a camera store. However did you guess? XD

PanDo
09-10-2005, 08:52 PM
MMM! I use to have a Canon powershot 100, great camera, but the darn thing breaks so easily.

Right now Iím using my dadís camera, a Sony DSC-T33, but I don't really like it that much as the optical zoom is horrible, and a lot of the pictures come out blurry with the slightest movement (ermm with my powershot I could snap pics on the run, but with this camera I totally cant)!

*Shiva*
09-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Mine's a Sony Cybershot digital camera. It's relatively cheap (around $200), but it works great and I use it for all my pics, cons and photoshoots alike.

!*Jessi-Chan*!
09-10-2005, 10:40 PM
I have a little Samsung that cost..like...$137. It's 4 megapixels which is good for me...No need getting a camera anymore expensive because I'm not some professional photographer. I just take pictures for the memory of them! :)

SpookyElectric
09-11-2005, 02:34 AM
I have a manual film SLR, which is a much nicer camera, but for a con it's not very practical, since photography is far from my primay objective at a con. So recently I got a digital Canon SD200 (IXUS30). Lower resolution (3.2MP) than Elemental's SD300, but it seemed to produce less noisy images, and I don't need the extra megapixels for pictures to share with friends.

Good stuff:
The SD200 was a good mix of price (I got it for a little over $200 US), image quality/features, and size was very important - I can easily fit it in a pocket our pouch.
The auto brighness work great, where it considers the brightness more intelligently than just the center or just the whole frame. I think it uses the parts of the images that are the most in focus after the focusing step. So it can handle both images with excessive backlighting, or people with dark outfits.
It's pretty fast compared to most others that I've used, both starting up and between shots, so you don't have to make the subject wait much.
The stitch-assist feature on the camera helpd for getting good multi-image panoramics example - 360 degree view of the game room at Otakon ( http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/2005otakon/Game%20Room%20360%20degrees.jpg)

Bad Stuff:
It does have problems with purple fringing around bright areas (You can see it clearly in the upper left of this picture (http://astro.scu.edu/~ted/anime/2005otakon/Hellsing%20-%20Group%201.jpg)).
The Ai-AF work well most of the time, but several times I had to use spot AF instead. Eitherway, it works better than the autofocus of a point-and-shoot film camera I used to use.
It would be nice if it supported a Fill-flash mode to compensate more correctly for bad shadows on people's faces.

Aufklarung
09-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Mine?

The Soul Stealer SS-3000...cost me an arm and a leg.

HealerKou
09-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I have a Sony CyberShot. 3.2 megapixels. It's a few years old now, and the zoom on it really sucks. I'll be in the market for a new one again soon. Also, it sucks up batteries like whoa.

Not that there aren't good things about it. I think any camera would start sucking after 3+ years. Sony is a good brand, in general.

livvylove
09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Last year I got my first digital camera, it was a 3.1 MP, took decent pictures. But this year for my 23rd birthday my parents got me a Casio Exilim 5.0mp. It fits in a change purse and has a rechargeable battery so I am not having to carry around a ton of AA batteries. I can't wait to use it at AWA. I love it and it's so small it fits anywhere.

Casio EX-Z50 (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat04002&id=1099385766855&skuId=6965821&type=product&DCMP=KNC-TLC&ref=25&loc=GOO)

The Merchant
09-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I use a Panasonic DMC LC-5 digital camera and I like using it for when I go to cons as well as using it for other functions. It's durable and is a good quality camera despite it's larger size.

shiroin
09-12-2005, 03:46 AM
choice of camera follows
P&S: Casio EXILIM ex-z500
DSLR: Nikon D70s with Nikkor 18-70mm F/3.5-4.5G (might get a new lense with greater apprature though)

Vicky
09-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Sony Cybershot DSCW1.
I've owned Canon, Fuji and Kodak... I like Sony best.

Infestivus
09-12-2005, 03:54 PM
The colour balance is nice, the images are sharp, and I adore this thing when shooting outdoors. I did need a second battery for the weekend's worth of shooting, as I'm normally taking 200+ on a Saturday, and it does have problems with the colour purple, but a bit of post processing fixes that pretty easily. Retails for $349 Canadian currently, and is a discontinued model as Canon does not want a 4mp luxury class camera.So... Are you saying that every one of these cameras has this color problem? How do you build it into your costumes?

Bagu
09-12-2005, 05:20 PM
So... Are you saying that every one of these cameras has this color problem? How do you build it into your costumes?

I would say through photo correction software like Photoshop..

shiroin
09-19-2005, 11:29 PM
i turely detest the use of sony and samsung cameras of any kind.
sony because of their poor white balance, and samsung for their bad quality.

for point and shoot, panasonic is your best bet
for SLRs, nikon it is :)

Chibi Plush Toy
09-20-2005, 12:22 AM
I USED to have a working HP Photosmart 120 up till Comic Con, and afterwards it stopped uploading photos. I got pissed and FINALLY today I just bought myself a Sony Cybershot DSC-S90. So I guess I'll be using that at cons from now on. Sweeeet.

jtnishi
09-20-2005, 11:08 AM

While I admittedly have issues with Sony for their color balance issues as well (the one thing that drove me quickest to finally getting an SLR was that my Sony F707's nasty habits with red drove me nuts), the one thing that is very positive for them is that their camera build qualities have always seemed fairly excellent for me. The closer you get to professional, obviously, the less you'll deal with Sonys, but for standard, compact style cameras, Sony is actually a reasonably good brand, if you can get past the cost of memory sticks. :P

phaedrus
09-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Olympus IS-2: The Forgotten ZLR. Not the slightly smaller and markedly less cool IS-10. Not the awesome IS-3. The Other One Which Is Not Sold Most Places. You know, in the mid-90s when I bought the thing...I doubt they still make them. The lens could be a little better, but it's always done me well in a variety of situations.

Just got the fearsome G40 flash, too! I go "One, two, three...HAI cheeezu!" *FLASH!!* and people react such as "What the hell? Did the sun just explode?" and "I'm going to be able to see again someday, right?" :bigtu:

AnimeAngel
09-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Fujifilm Finepix E550. Not professional, but damned close ;3 6.3 is all I need. The macro on this thing is flipping amazing.

Jaina Solo
09-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I have a Canon Powershot G5, and I'm really happy with it. It's probably getting old in terms of the latest and greatest, but I haven't had any issues with quality or color balance. It takes some pretty professional-looking shots for being a relatively small digital camera.

dst
09-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Canon PowerShot A80
Nice camera all round except the lack of 'burst-shot' and boot up/focus time is slow. Which is bad when you have a impatient cosplayer ^_^.

Jia Jem
09-20-2005, 06:52 PM
I have the Cannon Powershot S70. 7 megapixels; it was about $500. (I only use about 4 or 5 megapixel sizes, though.) Most of the pics in my gallery were taken with it.
The crappy think is that I'm to paranoid to carry it in the halls with me. I wish I had a cheaper one to just carry with me. I mostly bought this camera for taking pictures at home, though.

Chibik3r0
09-20-2005, 08:24 PM
Olympus Stylus 300 Digital, 3.2 MB

It's gotten a lot of use this past year and hasn't failed me yet.

Citrakite
09-20-2005, 10:21 PM
I brought my first camera from K-bee's for $5 because it came with a tape player and film. It's now sitting next to my slightly more expensive Optima. It only real upgrade, it has a built in flash.

Before Cons I didn't take that many pics for any pos cheapie worked. Now that I care what my pics look like I'm going gigital for X-mas.

shiroin
09-20-2005, 10:32 PM
dont brag about megapixels, seriously....
what really happens is with the same size of sensors, the camear's processor emulate extra pixels to make it more megapixelish

theres a reason why.
Nikon D2HS, which offers only 4.1megapixels, but superior image quality, and allows 8FPS burst shots (up to 50 continous!!!!!)

Romann
09-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Just recently purchased a 5mp Canon Powershot A95, which was an awesome upgrade from my Sony Mavica F-75 that was 0.3mp class and used floppy discs as storage. Every now and then I might use my Minolta 400si (35mm), but I hate having to develop and wait for the pictures to get back.

My only quam about my Canon is that it zaps batteries like you wouldn't believe.

Elycium
09-22-2005, 02:48 PM

I've never used sony, but I have a samsung, and it actually takes excellent photos. sadly I didn't get it until after otakon, but its proving to be a good camera

tfcreate
09-22-2005, 07:16 PM
what really happens is with the same size of sensors, the camear's processor emulate extra pixels to make it more megapixelish

theres a reason why.
Nikon D2HS, which offers only 4.1megapixels, but superior image quality, and allows 8FPS burst shots (up to 50 continous!!!!!)

I have to agree. While the number of Mp CAN effect image quality, it's not nesecarily THE determining factor. Besides, unless you have a high Quality printer/monitor, you'll never get to take full advantage of the higher resolutions. 2.8-4 is more than adequate for most uses. For magazine shots I'll go to the 8MP, but for con applications, no way. It would be like swatting a fly with an airplane wing. It will do the job, but it's WAY more than you need.
TFC

Celebrimbor
09-22-2005, 09:49 PM
My camera?

Kodak HQ disposibles loaded with 800 film. And if I upgrade from that it will be to a Canon Rebel 35mm. But not until the used ones come down in price.

shiroin
09-22-2005, 11:26 PM
ISO 800!? isnt that a bit too.... high?

madame morte
09-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I use FujiFilm Finepix 3800.

Cikgu101
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I start cosplaying in 2002
I was using a Ricoh Fil camera then :p

In 2003 I shifted to digital and I went for the Olympus Mju Digital 300
Now I'm using a DSLR Nikon D50 mounted on my costume :rolleyes:
but my friends would be using the Olympus - taking shots of me :razz:

J_Krolak
09-24-2005, 02:50 PM
I've been using a trusty Pentax camera for over 20 years having gone from the original film camera A3000 to Pentax XL to my now current main gun the digital SLR Pentax IST-Ds

DeathOfSoul
09-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Well I've only been to one con (A-Kon) and I brought a one-time use camera (which I really regretted). For next year I'm using an automatic camera that's a really good brand (but I can't remember the name of the brand) ^^;;

Ok, this post was pointless XD

shiroin
09-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I start cosplaying in 2002
I was using a Ricoh Fil camera then :p

In 2003 I shifted to digital and I went for the Olympus Mju Digital 300
Now I'm using a DSLR Nikon D50 mounted on my costume :rolleyes:
but my friends would be using the Olympus - taking shots of me :razz:
D50 mounted on the costume o.o how!?

Celebrimbor
09-25-2005, 05:12 PM
ISO 800!? isnt that a bit too.... high?

Not for indoor shooting. Actually, in the reasonably poor lighting of most conventions, anything lower then 400 will produce very poor photographs.

My brother (who's a more serious photographer) gave me the lecture about how my old 110 instamatic cartridge camera was crap, so I started using APS/Advantix; that camera died after about a year. So now I just use 800 and 400 disposables, along with an aging Sony DSC P-30 (one of the last digital cameras able to use AA batteries).

didjiman
09-25-2005, 09:38 PM

theres a reason why.

While I agree with the conclusion that megapixels mean squat generally (e.g. 1MP is good enough for web, 3MP good enough for up to 8x10" prints etc.), it's not true that the camera processors emulate extra pixels. You may be thinking of "digital zoom," which is as you describe, but for example, a Canon 20D does have 8 MP vs. the 10D, which is "only" 6MP.

It is also true that image quality is a lot more than just raw megapixel numbers.

Chas
09-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Canon Powershot A80. I'm not very camera saavy, but this pretty much does all I need it to do. Good enough for me. And when someone with actual photographing talent uses it - it's pretty awesome. XD

Sieneko
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
I've got a Nikon Coolpix 4200. But I'll have to go back and read my manual again before I use it for Nekocon this year. Lately I've been having issues with bluriness and the flash. Aiee, something tells me I didn't get a good deal for my money... >_<

cherridandi
09-26-2005, 01:12 AM
My old camera died..but now Ive got my lil Sony Cybershot S40. Cheap, but it does the job. And on occasion I lurve to steal...I mean "borrow" my sisters Canon Rebel XT she just bought. XD Buwahaha! Fair trade for babysitting I believe. That things makes me swoon.

Captain Gundam
09-27-2005, 01:01 AM
My camera?

Kodak HQ disposibles loaded with 800 film. And if I upgrade from that it will be to a Canon Rebel 35mm. But not until the used ones come down in price.
I used to use that before I upgraded.

Mines is a kodak easyshare CX7490 4.0 megapix camera that came with a printer. Everything else (memory card, case, rechargeble batteries, etc.) was bought the same day and came to over $600.

Cikgu101
09-29-2005, 02:53 AM
D50 mounted on the costume o.o how!?

Actually I'm making a holster for the D50 in Dr. Doom's Belt. And anytime I would take it out and shoot. When i'm done, I'll slid it back to the holster of mine haha :bigtu:

quadrain61
10-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Animazement 2003 - Canon Elph Advantix
Nekocon 2003 - Canon Elan II
Animazement 2004, Otakon 2004, Anime USA 2004, Nekocon 2004, Katsucon 2005, Animazement 2005, Anime Mid Atlantic 2005, Otakon 2005 - Sony DSC F828

For Nekocon 2005 and Anime USA 2005 - MAYBE the Nikon D70s if there's good lighting, otherwise I'll be shooting with the Sony DSC F828. I don't have the money to buy a flash for the Nikon yet :sulk: (hopefully when Katsucon 2006 comes around)

elfgirlyumi
10-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Well,
I personally like film cameras just because you can keep the pictures in a photo album and to me they never slow down when youíre taking pictures... digitals are slower when you get more pictures on them and take longer to reload after each picture... I bought a canon 5.0 pixel digital and it started to slow down on me after I took about 120 pic.... its suppose to be really fast and then I ask a camera expert which is better, he said digitals have better quality and allows you to delete a pic you didn't take well but film 35mm allows you to have a faster picture take and allows you to have different settings, digitals allow you to print from you computer but in the long run has a high cost when you have to buy the paper and the ink, although you still have to pay for film and printing its still cheaper in the long run to have a film camera, also you have to buy more memory cards because you can only fit so many pictures on them. Digitals also tend to use more battery power which then you have to buy more batteries, Iíve had my canon 3000 rebel for about 2 years now and use it for everything I think I have about 2500 pictures and still have the batteries that came with it.. Wow!!! Thatís a long time. So it just depends on the personÖ if you want a slower picture take but better quality go with a digital, although my pictures come out REALLY clear I can even see the rain drops on the flowers that I took pictures of, or if you want to take a lot of pictures in under a minute (about 25) then go with the film cameraÖ (Out of breath) well anyway if your thinking about going with a film camera go with one that you can change the lense on there better, thatís all I have to sayÖ finally :sleep:

shiroin
10-12-2005, 01:15 AM
I disagree.... if one wants to take alot of pictures it is a lot better to go ditigal.
When I first went to a cosplay photoshoot I was carrying my D70s with a 512MB CF card. During the process I was able to move my shots into the computer right when the card is full, and after I was able to continue on shooting.
My first photoshoot I shot 117 photos, and my second, which was the next day, I shot 250 photos.
As I became more skilled and more shutter-happy, I started to shoot alot more, and expanded my storage from 512MB to 2.0GB. This is from 78 RAW+BASIC to around 340 RAW+BASIC.
With my laptop, unless I run out on HDD space or camera or laptop battery, I can shoot hundreds of photos in one event. In my latest photoshoot, International Cosplay Summit 2005 in Nagoya, I shot 500 photos in a matter of like... 2 hours.
This is alot better than shooting like few dozen shots and switching films.
It is also possible to get digital pictures developed onto photographic paper for album uses.

elfgirlyumi
10-12-2005, 06:45 AM
Very true, I do like digitals and the bigger cards allow you to take a lot more pictures, just my problem is I don't have a laptop :hafha: GRRR!! I am looking to get one though. And it is a pain in the ass to change the film. I do a lot of lighting effects with mine so thatís the only real reason I love my canon rebel... but If I find a better digital that will be fast and not slow done on me then I will go digital.. When you take pictures how long does yours take to reload before you can take another one? My digital take about 3.5secs and the card I have is the 256MB so maybe if I go to the 512MB or higher that will better. So I will eventually get a faster digital hopefully.

JadeCat
10-12-2005, 02:12 PM
When you take pictures how long does yours take to reload before you can take another one? My digital take about 3.5secs and the card I have is the 256MB so maybe if I go to the 512MB or higher that will better. So I will eventually get a faster digital hopefully.

I think that you probably have an older digital camera?
My DSLR can take up to 5 frames per second -- which is great for sports. I can take shot after shot w/o waiting.

shiroin
10-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Very true, I do like digitals and the bigger cards allow you to take a lot more pictures, just my problem is I don't have a laptop :hafha: GRRR!! I am looking to get one though. And it is a pain in the ass to change the film. I do a lot of lighting effects with mine so thatís the only real reason I love my canon rebel... but If I find a better digital that will be fast and not slow done on me then I will go digital.. When you take pictures how long does yours take to reload before you can take another one? My digital take about 3.5secs and the card I have is the 256MB so maybe if I go to the 512MB or higher that will better. So I will eventually get a faster digital hopefully.
get one of those PDA kinda things that you just shove in the CF card and it will copy automatically :) great for portable storage!

elfgirlyumi
10-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Ok, I'll try that. Thanks your guys I'm always open to suggestions :)
And maybe I should try different digital cameras and lighting tools

Thanks

:jjacks:

TomodachiFriend
10-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Do you have an iPod or some other hd based portable media player like Archos? The problem with PDA's is that most of them use only memory cards. The price for a portable media device or PDA is the same as a used laptop anyway, so you might as well go with the laptop. :)

Suzushichan
10-13-2005, 03:42 PM
NIKON 4600

~suzushi :cool:

JuuJuu
10-13-2005, 04:38 PM
I've got a Fuji FinePix A330

raye
10-13-2005, 08:40 PM
I will be shooting with a Nikon D70 at the upcoming Chicagoland convention Reactor. I plan on using a SB800 flash with 50mm AF-D f/1.4 and 85mm AIS f/1.4. I really should be using a flash bracket but the one I want from ReallyRightStuff is out of my current financial situation.

Sleepy
10-14-2005, 03:06 AM
This old fashion dinosaur uses a Pentax MZ-5 with either a Manual Focus 85mm f2 or Auto Focus 50mm f1.7. I can see myself buying a digital SLR in maybe a year. I don't take pictures that often so dropping the money on it doesn't seem sensible. I'm not ready to go out and buy, a camera body, rechargeable batteries, charger, memory cards, and a laptop. (optional I know) Then I got to learn Photoshop. Damn, that sounds like too much work and money. Besides I think I can get by with what I got. But the day I do get one, whoo hoo, there's nothing holding me back anymore.

shiroin
10-14-2005, 03:54 AM
This old fashion dinosaur uses a Pentax MZ-5 with either a Manual Focus 85mm f2 or Auto Focus 50mm f1.7. I can see myself buying a digital SLR in maybe a year. I don't take pictures that often so dropping the money on it doesn't seem sensible. I'm not ready to go out and buy, a camera body, rechargeable batteries, charger, memory cards, and a laptop. (optional I know) Then I got to learn Photoshop. Damn, that sounds like too much work and money. Besides I think I can get by with what I got. But the day I do get one, whoo hoo, there's nothing holding me back anymore.
Pentax hasnt been producing good DSLRs... which is one discontent i am hearing from many Pentax Users...
the existing ists hasnt been getting any good reviews.... might as well stick with Nikon or something

shiroin
10-14-2005, 03:56 AM
Do you have an iPod or some other hd based portable media player like Archos? The problem with PDA's is that most of them use only memory cards. The price for a portable media device or PDA is the same as a used laptop anyway, so you might as well go with the laptop. :)
not exactly PDA, but portable media storage devices like the EPSON P-2000
Carrying a laptop is good but the problem is weight and battery power.
I have been carrying my camera and laptop with me almost everywhere I went, and I am not having any good conditions with my back...

TomodachiFriend
10-14-2005, 12:46 PM
Pentax hasnt been producing good DSLRs... which is one discontent i am hearing from many Pentax Users...
the existing ists hasnt been getting any good reviews.... might as well stick with Nikon or something

The Pentax cameras give great results if you shoot raw and you're ready to go into a menu for almost every setting. Their cameras are not flawed like I feel Olympus' cameras are. It's the exact opposite of a Minolta 7D when it comes to handling though. I shoot Canon and Minolta. I still prefer the Minolta feeling.

Raye: You can rent a bracket if you don't have the money for it right now. It's not even $5 over here. I've always wanted to shoot medium and large formats and they cost the same as a Canon 20D to rent so I'm planning to do it later this year.

Amaryllis
10-14-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm using a Genesis Model: SX300, 700 MP. Its a really nice camera and not super expensive which was really nice. I've taken some really great pictures with it, and can't wait to use it at my first convention!

Shiro MS08th
10-19-2005, 03:10 AM
I'm using Nikon D70 with SB800 flash.
Only have 50mm f/1.8 and 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens.
Aiming to buy 85mm f/1.8 soon, and maybe a 70-200 f/2.8 VR or 80-200 f/2.8 and 135mm f/2 lens in the future.

For indoor shoots, my current setup is sufficient, but prefers to shoot outdoor with natural light, overall picture will be better.

shiroin
10-20-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm using Nikon D70 with SB800 flash.
Only have 50mm f/1.8 and 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 lens.
Aiming to buy 85mm f/1.8 soon, and maybe a 70-200 f/2.8 VR or 80-200 f/2.8 and 135mm f/2 lens in the future.

For indoor shoots, my current setup is sufficient, but prefers to shoot outdoor with natural light, overall picture will be better.
nice gear you have there, and also nice lens selection
im thinking of buying a sb-800, then a sigma 30mm f/1.4 and later a sigma 25-70mm f/2.8 and a sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3

Shiro MS08th
10-20-2005, 10:26 AM
nice gear you have there, and also nice lens selection
im thinking of buying a sb-800, then a sigma 30mm f/1.4 and later a sigma 25-70mm f/2.8 and a sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3

Thanks.
But I think it's sufficient setup, not really good enough, as in my current lens.

Wow, 50-500mm!
You are also shooting wildlife?

shiroin
10-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks.
But I think it's sufficient setup, not really good enough, as in my current lens.

Wow, 50-500mm!
You are also shooting wildlife?
could be possible, but as for right now i am shooting sports for the school, and my 70-300mm is just not sharp and does not focus fast enough...
i am not going as far as 70-200mm f/2.8 because my financial capibilities are not there yet...

Shiro MS08th
10-21-2005, 06:18 AM
could be possible, but as for right now i am shooting sports for the school, and my 70-300mm is just not sharp and does not focus fast enough...
i am not going as far as 70-200mm f/2.8 because my financial capibilities are not there yet...

Ya.
The 70-300mm is too slow and the quality ain't anywhere decent to be honest.
I just sold that lens one week ago.

But I think you may try buying used 80-200mm f/2.8, much cheaper than 70-200mm.
The 80-200mm is a good lens too, just without the VR.
I'm not sure how much will the 50-500mm cost though.

shiroin
10-22-2005, 01:59 AM
the sigma 50-500mm is about $1000US. However, I have seen it down to $800- in Asia :)
Its gotten some really good reviews, and has some pretty good freatures: Rear Focus, ED Glasses, HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor). Its even got a zoom lock to prevent the lens from zooming randomly when you hold it upwards or downwards.
The only drawback with that lens is its crazy 86mm filter ring size... I only seen Kenko, Hoya and Sigma selling 86mm UV filters.

staereo
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
I use a Canon 20D and my old kodak dc4800 for the pocket.

didjiman
11-03-2005, 04:26 AM
I am a dinosaur, I use film and digital rangefinders for everything. Digital for color, and load up a roll of Tri X pushed to ASA800 at night for party stuff.

shiroin
11-13-2005, 05:42 AM
right now i am dreaming about Nikon D2X + Nikkor 18-55mm f/2.8G + SB-800 on the body and SB-600 handheld for protraits

maybe i will start working our just to carry that XD

RuthlessJS
11-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Canon Digital Rebel and Mamiya C220 TLR.

The DR is getting a little old but I will keep it as long as possible and concentrate on lenses for now.

The C220 is fun to use and enables me make my own archivable b&w prints in the darkroom.

The Lord XL
11-20-2005, 06:27 PM
I use a Canon 20D and my old kodak dc4800 for the pocket.

I'm the same as you Staereo. Only I use a Fuji finepix for my point and shoot.

jtnishi
11-20-2005, 08:08 PM
Canon Digital Rebel and Mamiya C220 TLR.

Ooh, a TLR? That must get you some weird stares when you use it. XD I don't see many of those around in use at all.

Inuyasha_Kun
11-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Well I don't have a digital camera persay... but how about a video camera that takes really good snap shots?" grins. I have a Sony Camcorder that my mom and family got me for my birthday one year

RuthlessJS
11-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Ooh, a TLR? That must get you some weird stares when you use it. XD I don't see many of those around in use at all.

I do get alot of stares sometimes. They are relics of the past so most people have never seen one unless they are over 35.

Cicada
11-21-2005, 03:12 AM
I have a D70 and a D70s

18-70mm DX
50mm f/1.8
24-120mm VR
70-200mm VR
SB-800 Flash
ReallyRightStuff 85-B flash bracket

planning on getting a D200 when it comes out :D

for video i have a Canon XL1

shiroin
11-21-2005, 04:39 AM
I have a D70 and a D70s

18-70mm DX
50mm f/1.8
24-120mm VR
70-200mm VR
SB-800 Flash
ReallyRightStuff 85-B flash bracket

planning on getting a D200 when it comes out :D

for video i have a Canon XL1
o.o you have two bodies?
and you have the 70-200mm VR >< (one of my dream lenses)

how is the 24-120 like, in terms optical quality? if it werent for the VR i would never look at it :p

if things go well, i might be purchasing the D2X+17-55 f2.8 during winter break :D

Cicada
11-21-2005, 01:50 PM
o.o you have two bodies?
and you have the 70-200mm VR >< (one of my dream lenses)

how is the 24-120 like, in terms optical quality? if it werent for the VR i would never look at it :p

if things go well, i might be purchasing the D2X+17-55 f2.8 during winter break :D
yeah, two bodies because i dont like switching lenses all the time, and dont like exposing the body too much :P

the 24-120 is on my D70 all the time and the 70-200 is on the D70s body all the time -- i dont really need anything wider or more telephoto than those two lenses, so ill probably sell the 'kit' 18-70DX soon and the D70 to help me with money for the D200. i love fast lenses [as does everyone else, eh?] mostly for the fact that i havent mastered the art of the flash yet :P

as for the sharpness of the 24-120 a lot of people have sharpness issues with it below f/8, and even then on only certain serial numbers [looks like nikon turned out a bad batch a few times] -- so for outdoor, bright, natural-light shooting it's a great lens -- but then again if it's that bright outside, you don't need VR, right?

i personally think its sharp all-around -- it focuses fast, it has a nice zoom range and focuses really close at 0.5m -- it's a nice lens, and not too expensive [$~500 new, even cheaper used.] -- it's definitely a replacement for the kit lens, and a perfect walkaround.

shiroin
11-21-2005, 09:13 PM
interesting thought^^
I just like fast lenses because of their shallow DOF
btw... you are trying to rid your kit lens? i think it will be hard because its not really a lens that people demand. (except for D50 users XD)

deeje1psk
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
this year i used
nikon d70 with nikkor 35-70 lens
nikon sb-26 flash with lightsphere pj diffuser

i am thinking of picking up a nikon s3 for future contions though...
this way i could dress as other charachters that don't carry around big cameras...lol

Cicada
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
interesting thought^^
I just like fast lenses because of their shallow DOF
btw... you are trying to rid your kit lens? i think it will be hard because its not really a lens that people demand. (except for D50 users XD)
i dont think ill have a hard time sleling it if i sell it at a fair price.

i recently sold my 28-200mm nikkor within hours of it going up on ebay -- someone used buy it now and snatched it up for $225, which is about teh going price for a used lens. all my other lenses are in perfect condition because they sit nice and protected in my camera bag, as i hardly ever use anything other than my 24-120 and 70-200 VR's. :D

shiroin
11-23-2005, 01:12 AM
i dont think ill have a hard time sleling it if i sell it at a fair price.

i recently sold my 28-200mm nikkor within hours of it going up on ebay -- someone used buy it now and snatched it up for $225, which is about teh going price for a used lens. all my other lenses are in perfect condition because they sit nice and protected in my camera bag, as i hardly ever use anything other than my 24-120 and 70-200 VR's. :D

i think 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, a few primes, flashes and teleconverters can suit all my non-special needs.

Cicada
11-23-2005, 04:33 AM
i think 17-55 2.8, 70-200 2.8, a few primes, flashes and teleconverters can suit all my non-special needs.

i think i'd be set if i bought the 17-55 2.8 :P dont need a lot of tele, and 17 is plenty wide.

one that DOES interest me, and im ay purchase it soon, is the 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. it's fast, covers 180 degrees and with nikoncapture you can flatten the images out.

plus it makes interesting images all by itself :)

so...maybe another $2000 in lenses [17-55, 10.5 fisheye] and i'll be set.

oh, then a D200 or a D2x :/

Cicada
11-23-2005, 04:56 AM
*doublepost*

shiroin
11-24-2005, 12:12 AM
i think i'd be set if i bought the 17-55 2.8 :P dont need a lot of tele, and 17 is plenty wide.

one that DOES interest me, and im ay purchase it soon, is the 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. it's fast, covers 180 degrees and with nikoncapture you can flatten the images out.

plus it makes interesting images all by itself :)

so...maybe another $2000 in lenses [17-55, 10.5 fisheye] and i'll be set.

oh, then a D200 or a D2x :/
you meant by reducing distrortion? that is indeed interesting ^^

for a wide angle i might consider the sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and perhaps the sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye

from what ive heard that the 10-20 has quite low distortion, and the price of it is quite reasonable :)

Cicada
11-24-2005, 03:16 AM
you meant by reducing distrortion? that is indeed interesting ^^

for a wide angle i might consider the sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and perhaps the sigma 8mm f/4 fisheye

from what ive heard that the 10-20 has quite low distortion, and the price of it is quite reasonable :)
the 10.5mm fisheye is a DX lens too, so it's made for the digital bodies; by 'flatten' i meant that it'll flatten the image out and almost completely eliminate the fisheye effect of the lens, so you have a 'normal-looking' picture with a gigantic 180 degree viewing angle.

http://bermangraphics.com/digicam/images/10.5compare08.jpg

http://bermangraphics.com/digicam/images/10.5compare06.jpg

the fisheye is fast @ f/2.8, too and its only about $500, which is reasonable. it's very sharp from what i've heard. i love it already. maybe for xmas :D or maybe some alienbees strobes because im tryign to get into portraiture/glamour/fashion/models :)

Cicada
11-24-2005, 03:19 AM
you also might want to check out the new 18-200 VR. i might sell the 24-120VR to get that as a walkaround.

shiroin
11-24-2005, 02:50 PM
you also might want to check out the new 18-200 VR. i might sell the 24-120VR to get that as a walkaround.

the VR on the 18-200 is also more advanced. not to mention its high zoom ratio, weight and size :D (it completely kills the sigma 18-200, even its aperature is bigger than the sigma at 200mm)

what i am worried about that lens is its optical quality. but then i guess nikons generally make really good lenses, and its QC is for sure better than other brands.

Cicada
11-24-2005, 03:40 PM
the VR on the 18-200 is also more advanced. not to mention its high zoom ratio, weight and size :D (it completely kills the sigma 18-200, even its aperature is bigger than the sigma at 200mm)

what i am worried about that lens is its optical quality. but then i guess nikons generally make really good lenses, and its QC is for sure better than other brands.
i think it'll be a great lens, and i may sell the 24-120 vr as well as the kit lens and just get the 18-200 because it covers the focal length for both of those lenses and then some.

and then i have the legendary 70-200 VR for everything else.

im sure it'll be a great lens, and yeah it has the multiple VR modes as on the more expensive VR lenses.

PLUS, it's a DX lens. :cool:

shiroin
11-26-2005, 12:10 AM
btw there seems to be losses of detials on the edges once the image created by the 10.5mm fisheye is flattened. do you know the equivilent focal length for the flattened image?

it still seems like the sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is a better choice for me :/

Shiro MS08th
11-26-2005, 05:05 AM
btw there seems to be losses of detials on the edges once the image created by the 10.5mm fisheye is flattened. do you know the equivilent focal length for the flattened image?

it still seems like the sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 is a better choice for me :/

Get the nikon 12-24 f/4!
Best image quality and lens optics!

Cicada
11-27-2005, 08:40 AM
i also like the 12-24 f/4, motly for the constant f-4 throught the focal range.

but check the "wide-angle shootout" article from nikonians where you cna get a comparo between the 2:

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/wide_angles_shootout/index.html

OR, i can save you some time:

12-24mm f/4G IF ED AF-S DX NIKKOR CONCLUSIONS
Although the Nikkor is the "oldest" lens in the bunch, it’s a strong performer with the best overall optical performance. The only area where it was surpassed was in chromatic aberration where the Sigma was slightly better. Image quality at all focal lengths was very good to excellent; corner sharpness was a little soft at 12mm and maximum aperture, but this improved quickly at f/5.6 and smaller. The constant aperture design, rounded diaphragm blades and AF-S focusing motor are other nice touches on this lens.

This lens is a very good choice for Nikon shooters who:

• Want the best in overall optical performance and don’t need a 10mm lens
• Have a 28-70mm mid-range zoom, and need the 24mm focal length
• Want minimal vignetting at wider focal lengths without using Photoshop
• Desire a faster, constant maximum aperture

On the other hand, this lens may not be the best choice if:

• You’re on a tight budget
• You need a wider focal length lens
• You want a lighter weight option

Despite being the first to appear in the market, the Nikkor has held up extremely well and it’s a great lens. Its comparatively much higher price tag (US $940) is probably the only major drawback.

10-20mm f/4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM SIGMA CONCLUSIONS
Overall, this lens offers outstanding performance at a very reasonable price (about US $500).

We think this lens would benefit users who:

• Hate CA in their images, and don’t have an easy way to correct it in PP
• Want excellent performance at the wide end
• Want to go wider than 12mm (18mm in 35mm terms)
• Like silent autofocusing

On the other hand, this lens would be less advantageous to the Nikon shooter who:

• Hates light fall-off, or has no easy way to correct for it in PP
• Wants a constant f/4.0 aperture design
• Uses a 28-70mm lens as their mid-range zoom (leaves a big gap between 20-28mm)
• Occasionally uses their DX lenses on a film body

In addition:

• Best complement to a 17-55mm: Sigma 10-20mm or Tamron 11-19mm

• Best complement to a 28-70mm: Nikkor 12-24mm or Tokina 12-24mm

• Best “bang for the buck”: Sigma 10-20mm or Tokina 12-24mm

Thx_1138
11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I use a Nikon i bought off a guy on ebay it looks like the one Jose Gives to Henrietta in Ep 10 of GunSlinger Girl

Alessa
12-01-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm using my "cheap" HP Photosmart R507 digital photocamera. Nothing special but the photos are looking nice enough for me, so it's ok.
Sure I'd love to have a really very good camera, but that's too expensive for me.

Efecss
12-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Mine is my Pentax SLR.

Yes, I still love film. And I plan to have my own dark room someday. (I love getting my hands dirty that way.)

I have a regular, stndard lense, and a 75 to 150 zoom lense (Which I don't use a lot.)
Plus, Kodak had come out with a new HG film, which I am mad over. Wish I used it for Ani-Magic. It's a bit pricey, but the colors just burst off the paper.