PDA

View Full Version : Costume-Con 24 - Des Moines, IA

Bruno
09-11-2005, 11:25 PM
http://cc24.dmsfs.org/

May 26-29, 2006

Costume-Con is an annual international conference for science-fiction, living history, wearable art, media, mascot, cosplay, fantasy, and historical costumers - or anyone else with an interest in costuming, either amateur or professional.

Costume-Con runs for 4 days, from Friday to Monday. As a “travelling” conference Costume-Con has no fixed location, each year it’s hosted by a different city and costuming group.

What can you expect at Costume-Con 24?

Activities will include:

Panels & Lectures on research, history, sources, design, construction, photography, etc.
Workshops & demonstrations on costuming techniques; construction, presentation, etc.
Specialized discussion groups
a Friday night Social (meet-and-greet party) on the first night of the conference
a Science-Fiction/Fantasy costume competition
a Historical costume competition
a Fashion Design contest (held before the conference)
a Fashion Show featuring some of the winning designs from the Fashion Design contest.
And a whole lot more – all costuming for 4 days!
Specialized Dealers for your costuming needs

Karisu-sama
03-29-2006, 09:26 PM
Don't forget the Doll Masquerade / Exhibit! :)

(Now my BJDs are nagging me to make THEM new cosplay to wear... :p)

grandis
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
...and in case anyone who's a cosplayer is feeling nervous about Costume Con, the con even has an official anime liaison--yours truly. :angel2:

Honestly, a couple of my friends on staff have asked me to smooth the way a bit if you're feeling any culture shock. I'll be there, and yes, I'll be wearing anime costumes for most of the event. I'll have a couple of other suits, sure, but anime suits are mostly what I've got.

I also know that there will be at least one panel on anime costuming, and I hope to get lots of discussions on it. There's really a lot of overlap, considering anime isn't a genre, but a medium.

And well, the convention is in Des Moines. How exotic can you get? Okay, so, come for the costumes. :skidude2:

Grandis

Gravely
03-29-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm so glad to se that you were given that title, liaison

As we're bidding on CC-27 for Baltimore, I wanted to find someone to fill that precise post, but was afraid that even the name would cause a stir as it would show that we are so seperate we need a go between, when I feel just the opposite.

Congrats

grandis
03-30-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm so glad to se that you were given that title, liaison

As we're bidding on CC-27 for Baltimore, I wanted to find someone to fill that precise post, but was afraid that even the name would cause a stir as it would show that we are so seperate we need a go between, when I feel just the opposite.

Congrats

Meh. We aren't so separate. I mean, there are lots of people in anime fandom who love character and costume, and lots of people in costume fandom who love anime.

We just need some ambassadors who speak the same language to show people that they really do speak the same language--a love of costumes, regardless of genre or medium.

Looking very forward to meeting you. I have admired your work for some time.

Grandis