PDA

View Full Version : Death Note Cosplay

Pages : [1] 2 3

Reyaughi
09-13-2005, 09:24 PM
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/205/205535/folders/197345/1490382FRIENDSONLY.jpg

I want to try cosplaying as L, from the manga Death Note. I know the costume is very simple, but I love his character. This will be my first cosplay, aside from a stint as Pantsman from VGcats. I am also female, which will make things a tad more complicated, and I wear glasses. Is anyone familiar with this character? Any tips would be appreciated... and I'm also a bit confused as to L's hair color. It ranges from dark brown to black.

Gotham
09-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Death Note is great! I would love to do L someday. For the costume itself, just buy a pair of men's/boy's jeans from walmart or some other store. Make sure they are for guys though, becaues the cut will help hide your hips and such. On top of that get a baggy white t-shirt and maybe stretch out the neck a bit. Since you are a girl, you are gonna have to bind. Check out the crossplay section for some tips and suggestions. As for the hair. I would say go with the brown. While it is colored black in the cells, it is mostly brown in the colored drawings. If you are worried about wearing glasses, what I have seen some cosplayers do is wear them around the con, but take them off for pictures.

Hope that helped!

Reyaughi
09-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Death Note is great! I would love to do L someday. For the costume itself, just buy a pair of men's/boy's jeans from walmart or some other store. Make sure they are for guys though, becaues the cut will help hide your hips and such. On top of that get a baggy white t-shirt and maybe stretch out the neck a bit. Since you are a girl, you are gonna have to bind. Check out the crossplay section for some tips and suggestions. As for the hair. I would say go with the brown. While it is colored black in the cells, it is mostly brown in the colored drawings. If you are worried about wearing glasses, what I have seen some cosplayers do is wear them around the con, but take them off for pictures.

Hope that helped! Thank you for the suggestions ^-^ I think I may just use some really dark makeup for the bags under the eyes too. It is nice to find a fellow Death Note fan!

Gwydion
09-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Yeah Death Note! ^_^

I think the biggest thing you could do is to prepare for the role, lol. Since L moves and sits weird, perhaps practicing a bit would help you when it comes to posing for pictures. It's one of his most defining features, and I think it would really sell the costume. I've also seen people use props like cell phones, tea cups, and food while cosplaying L, so maybe think about something like that.

And I agree about the make up under the eyes. It should give you a much more "L" look. ^_~

Reyaughi
09-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Yeah Death Note! ^_^

I think the biggest thing you could do is to prepare for the role, lol. Since L moves and sits weird, perhaps practicing a bit would help you when it comes to posing for pictures. It's one of his most defining features, and I think it would really sell the costume. I've also seen people use props like cell phones, tea cups, and food while cosplaying L, so maybe think about something like that.

And I agree about the make up under the eyes. It should give you a much more "L" look. ^_~
Lol, I actually already act a lot like L, that's part of why I chose him ^-^* I chew my fingers, eat like a squirrel in front of my computer, and tend to hunch and slump too. I may use halloween as a practice and then go to a con as him when I can ^-^

Mma10naM
09-14-2005, 01:17 AM
oooh~! I've got an L question...

I'm going to need a wig for this cosplay and was wondering which style of wig I should get? I usually try to do cosplays that I can use my natural hair for cosplay so I'm not too familiar with wig types....Should I just get a chin length wig and cut the heck out of it?? Or is there an easier way O___@~?

I would suggest getting some of those marching koala cookies for L cosplay!! yummyyyyy~

Reyaughi
09-14-2005, 01:36 AM

I'm going to need a wig for this cosplay and was wondering which style of wig I should get? I usually try to do cosplays that I can use my natural hair for cosplay so I'm not too familiar with wig types....Should I just get a chin length wig and cut the heck out of it?? Or is there an easier way O___@~?

I would suggest getting some of those marching koala cookies for L cosplay!! yummyyyyy~ I've got no expierience with wigs... but chin length sounds about right... Yay Koala cookies!

Mma10naM
09-14-2005, 01:41 AM
I've got no expierience with wigs... but chin length sounds about right... Yay Koala cookies!

yessssssss~ The koala cookies!!! My friend randomly bought me some one day and that was the day I decided to do L cosplay x3

etc
09-15-2005, 05:21 AM
L is a brillant character!

One of the most important things to focus on, is doing his hair right. It's what makes L.. L!

How long is your hair? L-hair isn't actually that hard to style, as long as your hair isn't any longer then your chin.. Otherwise, a styled wig would be good, as long as you give it enough staying-up-power for the spikey side.

Good luck! =)

Gotham
09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Coloring under the eyes is a great idea. I would never have thought of that. For the spikes in the hair, I would suggest using either Loreal hair glue or got2b hair gel. These have both worked well for me in the past.

etc
09-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Coloring under the eyes is a great idea. I would never have thought of that. For the spikes in the hair, I would suggest using either Loreal hair glue or got2b hair gel. These have both worked well for me in the past.

For hair products, a blowdrier, a good flat iron, and Paul Mitchell Dry Wax works really well to create the spikes. Try wetting your hair, putting hair product in, while it's still damp (something with a flexible hold, like Bedhead-Manipulator). Blow dry half of your hair while hanging your hair upside down, and then when it dries, you can define the spikes with a flat iron, your product (Drywax!), and lots and lots of hairspray. ^_^ If you hair is thick, gel might be too heavy and fall down easily. It would work well if your hair is very short though. =)

Reyaughi
09-15-2005, 10:46 PM
L is a brillant character!

One of the most important things to focus on, is doing his hair right. It's what makes L.. L!

How long is your hair? L-hair isn't actually that hard to style, as long as your hair isn't any longer then your chin.. Otherwise, a styled wig would be good, as long as you give it enough staying-up-power for the spikey side.

Good luck! =)
I'm actually going to just go to the hair stylist and ask her to cut it so that I can style it like L's.... I figure that'll be the best way to do it...

Gotham
09-17-2005, 04:15 AM
Wow, hair cutting, that is dedication. Let us know how your costume turns out!

Reyaughi
10-03-2005, 07:46 PM
http://photobucket.com/albums/v89/Reyaughi/?action=view&current=LPlay.jpg I got my hair cut today and gave the lady an L picture. She said I'll need a flat iron and hair wax and gave me a bunch of tips ^-^

Gotham
10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Awesome! Way to go that extra mile. Let me know what products you use in your hair.

Reyaughi
10-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Awesome! Way to go that extra mile. Let me know what products you use in your hair.
Alrighty, I think I'm going to follow etc's advice on that one ^-^ My hairdresser recommended Paul Mitchell wax too

HuongStar
03-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Has anyone ever cosplayed as one of the shinigami? Or if you have any pictures of other cosplayers that made any of the shinigami, please post them here. :)

I'm curious to see how they were interpreted in real life.

The Metric Ruler
03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
In Eurobeat Al's Sakuracon pictures, there were a few DN cosplayers but only "feminized" versions of the shinigami.

phantomthief
03-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Gah. I need to pull a Light cosplay eventually. I adore L but I don't think I could pull that off as well ^.^;
I had most of the costume parts in my closet and took a few shots for L but... Ahhh... I kind of look like a zombie >.>

~Ari-chan

Solaria
03-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Has anyone ever cosplayed as one of the shinigami? Or if you have any pictures of other cosplayers that made any of the shinigami, please post them here. :)

I've seen some pictures of Japanese cosplayers who have done Ryuuku and Remu, but unfortunately I can't remember where. I remember they wore very tall shoes so that they towered over their group members (Light/L/Misa) and had masks.

Cosplaylab turned up these shinigami:
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=112132
http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/costumes/details.asp?costumeid=92197

phantomthief
03-31-2006, 07:57 PM
Can anyone reccomend a good place to find a khaki jacket? EBay has almost a perfect match... for $50 T.T

I've checked Goodwill already, nothing... oddly enough.
Finally found a solid red silk tie, Neko-chan's buying me the deathnote for my birthday, and it's time for my routine hair cut and color... but the jacket seems to elude me :\

~Ari-chan

TennyoKaleide
03-31-2006, 08:56 PM

At Sakura Con, I met two girls who did. ^^ As mentioned before though, they just did the 'feminized' versions of them.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/6116/img18570sm.jpg

Someone took a random picture of us all sitting around together, but, yeah. ^^ That's them..

AmazonPrincess
04-06-2006, 08:47 PM

I really really want to cosplay Ryuk, right now it's just a matter of time and money... Maybe for AOD if I can manage.

inu-chan00
04-17-2006, 09:00 PM

http://www21.big.or.jp/~bkmoon/tennis/041031@note/01.jpg

WE BE PWNED!

and heres a link to more pictures :D
http://www21.big.or.jp/~bkmoon/tennis/041031@note/index01.html
http://www2.big.or.jp/~bkmoon2/20050211/index01.HTM
http://www2.big.or.jp/~bkmoon2/20050211/31/index01.HTM

Her mask is AMAZING! I wonder if she used laytex ...or something liek that for it O.o!

Evali
04-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Yay, Death Note! My friends and I just did the trio (Raito, Misa and L) for fun:
http://www.risingsun.net/photos/v/cosplayers/wego4kyo/?g2_page=5

Babyberry's Raito wig did not come in the right color, thus the uber blond look. And I know my Misa shirt isn't right, but I wanted to wear the wig and my vol 4 cover Misa isn't done yet, so there ya go! =D

Also Babyberry made Rem, but it was for a ghetto cosplay shoot. Basically, you aren't allowed to sew or buy anything. So that's why my hair is brown and she is wearing regular clothes that we drew on with markers XD
http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=19508&member=14215

Obviously not a serious attempt, but we had fun!

Imriela
04-19-2006, 10:21 AM
I have to chime in that Death Note--L in particular--has got to be the best thrift store cosplay ever. Since I just restyled a wig that I already had, my entire costume cost $7!

Teragan
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I love Death Note but I didn't really think about cosplaying it until I saw this. I think since none of the costumes are that complicated (apart from Misa) you'd have to pull it off really well or otherwise you'd just look like a random person.

That said, I just googled some Death Note cosplay and found some great ones. At least it wouldn't be very complex to cosplay L.

Matsuki
04-22-2006, 12:46 AM
I didn't have time to read the past entries so sorry if I'm repeating stuff lol.
I prefer L having Black hair because it has a nicer contrast unless its really really really dark brown thats almost black =P

Definitely black makeup under the eyes.

L's clothes are really simple so i think the most imortant thing to make it all work how you act and your poses.
Thumb to mouth and poses similar to this http://l.akesato.net/

Shuyinsan
04-22-2006, 06:16 AM
there is a great reference for you, which is the official Cosplay of L here it is

http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sc28on.jpg

the image is taken from Deathgod.org it's a really good site

the site also has a page on How-to act like L

Lucifer
04-22-2006, 06:50 AM
I love Death Note but I didn't really think about cosplaying it until I saw this. I think since none of the costumes are that complicated (apart from Misa) you'd have to pull it off really well or otherwise you'd just look like a random person.

That said, I just googled some Death Note cosplay and found some great ones. At least it wouldn't be very complex to cosplay L.

I use to think this was true, until I read into the second story arc. Mello and Matt both have some very elaborate outfits, which I've yet to see cosplayed.

Otherwise, yes, Death note is more of a 'portrayl' cosplay and not as much costume.

XoPinkuSpiderxo
04-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Does anyone possibley have more good refernce pictures for Misa's outfit? (The one below)

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/chesterthemolester369/?action=view&current=DN-ch28-02.jpg

Solaria
04-25-2006, 07:05 PM
She only wears that outfit in that illustration, never in the manga, IIRC, so that would be the only picture there is of it.

Michi
04-25-2006, 08:49 PM
I thought I'd post here because I'm making a Misa costume right now. I'm planning a lot of random outfits of hers, haha. At the moment I'm just styling the wig, which will be used in just about every Misa costume I do, but it's turning out nicely so far. :O I have about 80% of the materials I need for the outfit itself, just gonna find the patterns I lost. T_T I'm doing the outfit she wears in.. chapter 37, when Raito and L get handcuffed. :O

KuroBara
04-25-2006, 10:35 PM
It's great to see Death Note getting more cosplay love! I recently did one of her outfits from the cover that says "How to Read".
My husband cosplayed Light and made both of our scythes, they're so awesome! Hopefully we'll have a Ryuk at AnimeNEXT this summer.

ref - http://pics.livejournal.com/roserevolution/pic/0005844p

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=35667&member=622

I've since gotten a haircut, I can do her style a little more accurately now. I'm still debating getting a wig, opinions?

GreatSG
04-25-2006, 10:43 PM
A friend of mine is cosplaying L at an upcoming con and i'm suppose to be getting her the wig (since she has rather long hair and it's cutting it) as a birthday gift. Anyone have any good suggestions on what would look good for L, cause i'm about clueless.

Solaria
04-25-2006, 11:02 PM
Haha, I've been contemplating doing the How to Read outfit too... will depend on how much time I have before AX. I love that you even have the scythe, KuroBara- I've been wanting to make a scythe for my group for AGES.

Michi
04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
I've loved Death Note for a while now but I'm only now starting on costumes, because of my friend's urging and whatnot. XD; Misa wasn't my favorite at first, but she's the only one I think I can pull off and be recognizable with, really. X_x;

XoPinkuSpiderxo
04-26-2006, 04:16 PM
About the realistic shinigami people were talking about earlier, I found this picture on photobucket. (I just hope it's not a fake ^^0 if so...very nicely done...)
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/Sasukes_Chibi/Other%20Anime%20Cosplayers/?action=view&current=rem.jpg

emielli
04-26-2006, 07:20 PM
I`m working on the Misa costume for whichever con I plan to attend (I can't decide b/t AMA & Animazement). I didnt like her at first, but I love the clothing! I just bought a Death note off of ebay. About Mello and Near costumes... I`ve seen one good one, posted in the LJ community.

Mezzanotte
04-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm really debating doing Mat's outfit because he just doesn't get enough love. The only problem is I can't figure out what color his jacket is for the life of me. My friend and I were thinking something very light brown or gold, but we're not sure. Does anyone have any reference pictures or suggestions? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Michi
04-27-2006, 07:56 PM
About the realistic shinigami people were talking about earlier, I found this picture on photobucket. (I just hope it's not a fake ^^0 if so...very nicely done...)
http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c343/Sasukes_Chibi/Other%20Anime%20Cosplayers/?action=view&current=rem.jpg

That is freaking awesome. Like, perfect. Wow. Rem. *_*

ChicoChan
04-27-2006, 09:26 PM
right now deathnote is a current obsession of mine :P I'm planning on doing alot/maybe all of misa's outfits just because I love how she dresses. It's be my daily wear as well.

Woot.

KuroBara
04-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Oooh, awesome Rem! It's really pretty in a creepy sort of way.

Mezzanote - For some reason I think of Matsuda's jacket as being navy blue. The site I go to for color references (deathnote.org) seems to be down, I'll keep an eye open for a reference.

Mezzanotte
04-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Oooh, awesome Rem! It's really pretty in a creepy sort of way.

Mezzanote - For some reason I think of Matsuda's jacket as being navy blue. The site I go to for color references (deathnote.org) seems to be down, I'll keep an eye open for a reference.

Umm, actually, I meant Mat as in Mello's friend/tool/fellow orphan, not Matsuda. But thanks anyways.

Solaria
04-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm really debating doing Mat's outfit because he just doesn't get enough love. The only problem is I can't figure out what color his jacket is for the life of me. My friend and I were thinking something very light brown or gold, but we're not sure. Does anyone have any reference pictures or suggestions? Any help would be muchly appreciated.

I don't think there are any official color photos yet (and I don't know if there will be), so you pretty much have free reign. I've only seen fanart of him, and one seemed to have black/white sleeves, burgundy-ish hair, and a white or off-white vest/jacket, while the other was black/white sleeves, brown hair, and a pale green vest with white trim. I think a nice gold would look lovely as well though.

Mezzanotte
04-29-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think there are any official color photos yet (and I don't know if there will be), so you pretty much have free reign. I've only seen fanart of him, and one seemed to have black/white sleeves, burgundy-ish hair, and a white or off-white vest/jacket, while the other was black/white sleeves, brown hair, and a pale green vest with white trim. I think a nice gold would look lovely as well though.

I kinda figured there weren't (and probably won't be) any, but I was afraid I was just looking in the wrong places. And thanks so much for the color suggestions - you've been a real help. ^^

cometa
05-04-2006, 10:28 AM
hey guys!
I`ll take DN cosplay shoots on day after tomorrow!
how happy I am!
and I will update my photos later so I hope u all can give me some advices!

I wanna make some DN lovers from other countries^^here`s my MSN:
cmetasama@hotmail.com

concrete-angel
05-08-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey! I was looking into cosplaying Mello, but I have no idea where to start. Any ideas? :)

Rynn
12-16-2006, 02:37 AM
Daaannnggg...I am so fangirlishly impressed by all the shinigami people have posted *__*

I have a question about the Death Note itself. Does anyone have any good reference shots of the rules page? I found ONE on google but the link is broken...does anyone have one lying around that they could give me?

Merchant
12-19-2006, 02:56 AM
Aaarrghhh! Please still need help on Watari, any resources you can link me to to get his handbag and any additional tips on the hiding of his face would be greatly appreciated ^_^'"

mokulen22
12-19-2006, 05:10 AM

that's amazing! Makes ME want to attempt doing one of the shinigami!! (hope it's not a fake too).

sylus
02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
hey , i am going to be cosplaying nia (near) at my next con and i was woundering if you guys could help me a bit. his costume is easy, pritty much pull out of the closet, but that kinda the problem. so i'm woundering if you guys have anytips on what i can do to be a little bit more reconizable. so far all i can think of is twirling little bits of hair, and carring around a puzzle.
can you guys think of anything?
-sylus

FlowerOfThCourt
02-15-2007, 01:55 PM
I remember seeing this in a halloween store-
http://www.spirithalloween.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.detail/categoryID/d4eeb56d-7a0e-4142-9a01-8381685571f1/productID/52ab2436-94d3-4d34-9ddc-d3139b8b9990/productOptionIDs//
Look familiar? Even the makeup on the model screams it. XD

mixaka
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Nice. Notice how it's sold out. Wonder how many of those I'll be seeing at my next con? ^_^

@sylus - I too will be cosplaying Nia/Near at my next con. Personally, I think that with a white wig and white outfit, you should be easily recognized. Especially now that he's appeared in the English release of the manga. Besides bringing a toy and twirling your hair- there really isn't much else you can do. You could try sitting like him or maybe find a mello to hang out with, but that's about all I can think of.

Miyabi-
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Not sure if this would be considered thread necromancy or not buuut...

For anyone who's cosplayed L....what kind of wig do you reccommend? I noticed the link that FlowerOfTheCourt posted but it seems awfully...poofy..lol

sylus
03-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Not sure if this would be considered thread necromancy or not buuut...

For anyone who's cosplayed L....what kind of wig do you reccommend? I noticed the link that FlowerOfTheCourt posted but it seems awfully...poofy..lol

i came across this wig a little while ago. hope it helps ya.
http://www.amphigory.com/wigs_fy_razor_sleek.html

ycysusan2001
03-02-2007, 01:57 AM
um... I am trying to cosplay misa movie version (picture attach). Does anyone know where I can get those red punk style skirt?

Miyabi-
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
As sadly obvious as my reply is....Hot Topic had some in stock that were very similar recently. Only bad thing is that I think the Hot Topic ones were a little on the short side.

and oh my lord! sylus, that wig is practically perfect! O_O The only thing that makes me leery of it is that it's not a skin top wig...Hmm...I'll have to think about it. Thank you for showing it to me! ^_^

tweetychick630
03-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Hehe, I was thinking about doing Movie Misa, too - though from the end of the first part, with the white and black striped top.

And yep, I bought a red plaid skirt from Hot Topic a couple weeks ago - then watched the 1st part of the Death Note Movie last week and was like 'heeeeeey!' And since it was on sale, I got the $32 skirt for....8! :D

Train-Kun
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
O0o0o I really love Deathnote. ^^ L is my favourite. <333 I hope you have some luck with the costume. I'm having a bit of trouble myself with my Train Heartnet costume... x.x lol.

HyperShadow
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
I decided that I'm going to cosplay as a female Matt for Kumoricon this year. ^^ I can't wait to start getting the costume together!

ycysusan2001
03-07-2007, 11:52 PM
OMG that is so cheep! I went to Hot Topic on Monday and ...TT its not onsale... $32 for the skirt that I will never ware again after Misa cosplay, I dont think its worth it. I have start hunting down those skirt somewhere else.

And yep, I bought a red plaid skirt from Hot Topic a couple weeks ago - then watched the 1st part of the Death Note Movie last week and was like 'heeeeeey!' And since it was on sale, I got the $32 skirt for....8! :D

tweetychick630
03-08-2007, 12:08 AM
OMG that is so cheep! I went to Hot Topic on Monday and ...TT its not onsale... $32 for the skirt that I will never ware again after Misa cosplay, I dont think its worth it. I have start hunting down those skirt somewhere else.

Yeah, it was awesome as I don't normally go home on the weekends, and don't normally go shopping so....for them to have a sale on clearance items, and that being the last skirt, uber-sweet. Then for it to match up with They have sales often though, so if you keep checking the price might get more affordable.

This:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1010354
is the one we're talking about, right? Just making sure.

Hehe, then I can buy the striped sweater and socks on eBay....easiest cosplay ever >_<. How long is her hair though? I need to find a place to watch the second part of the movie...

Nia
03-08-2007, 12:56 AM
I have way too many Death Note cosplays on my list. xD I did Light last year, so this year I'm planning Mello, Near, Misa, Matto, and L. And after that I'll probably do the shinigamis. *laugh*

So far my Mello cosplay is almost finished and I took pics. Now I'm mostly working on my Misa. I'm doing her purple-jacket outfit.

Pencil
03-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Nia- I already said this but I think you are such a cute Mello! I love it.

As for me, someday I'd like to do Matsuda (<3333), and possibly Hal (one of the few females I have considered cosplaying, Im not girly enough to pull her off though) But I dont think anyone would recognise me in either XD

For now I'll stick to Mello, and hopefully someday in the future I will make his jackets (and get a new wig).

HyperShadow- Woo! More deathnote Kumoricon people XD I'll look for you there! I will probablly be Mello again (unless I have to drop him for other cosutmes :,[)

ycysusan2001
03-08-2007, 02:25 AM
This is the skirt that I saw in Hot Topic (picture attach). Even though the color its a bit too black-ish, but the style is really Misa. TT too expancive. I like Ur skirt ^^ the color match and its cute~

um... dont they have second part on youtube already. I have second part, but they are not sub ^^;;;

Then for it to match up with They have sales often though, so if you keep checking the price might get more affordable.

This:
http://images.cosplay.com/showphoto.php?photo=1010354
is the one we're talking about, right? Just making sure.

Hehe, then I can buy the striped sweater and socks on eBay....easiest cosplay ever >_<. How long is her hair though? I need to find a place to watch the second part of the movie...

I totaly agree with you. My friend dress up as Masuda two years ago in AX, and people online post that she is a "random FBI agent" ^^;;;

As for me, someday I'd like to do Matsuda (<3333), and possibly Hal (one of the few females I have considered cosplaying, Im not girly enough to pull her off though) But I dont think anyone would recognise me in either XD

tweetychick630
03-08-2007, 02:48 AM
This is the skirt that I saw in Hot Topic (picture attach). Even though the color its a bit too black-ish, but the style is really Misa. TT too expancive. I like Ur skirt ^^ the color match and its cute~

um... dont they have second part on youtube already. I have second part, but they are not sub ^^;;;

I totaly agree with you. My friend dress up as Masuda two years ago in AX, and people online post that she is a "random FBI agent" ^^;;;

Oooh, that's cute, too! And now I'm tempted to go to more Hot Topics, because I hadn't really thought about the possibility that they'd carry different things O_o.

I'm waiting for subs - my friend knows one of the people in a group that did the first part, and they did such an awesome job on it - then I looked on youtube (for Misa ref), and they butchered it.....T_T. I'm guessing her outfit in the first movie wouldn't be as recognizable as some of the pictures you posted, but...oops. Already got the shirt >_<. I'd probably need a Light to be at least semi-recognizable too, wouldn't I? T_T

ycysusan2001
03-08-2007, 03:24 AM
Its okey.... I dont think people will recongnize it anyway. Not everyone watch Death Note movie. I am afraid that people will think I am someone who suppost belong to J-rock gathering and just walk into the wrong gathering. ^^;;;

I'm guessing her outfit in the first movie wouldn't be as recognizable as some of the pictures you posted, but...oops. Already got the shirt >_<. I'd probably need a Light to be at least semi-recognizable too, wouldn't I? T_T

HyperShadow
03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
HyperShadow- Woo! More deathnote Kumoricon people XD I'll look for you there! I will probablly be Mello again (unless I have to drop him for other cosutmes :,[)

Awesome! Another Kumoricon-goer! That's so cool that you're going as Mello. ^^ I'll definately need to look for you! I'll no doubt meet you at the Death Note photoshoot. =3

Visual Prince
03-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Mao~

I am doing L. Hopefully I'll make it to Anime Expo (*working on it*)

I ordered the Death Note Notebook from ebay too...comes with that lil' necklaces.

(Waaaii~ Both movies rock!)

riotgirl8268
03-13-2007, 12:33 AM
i really wanna cosplay as L, but i have to find a wig, does anyone have any suggestions as a good starting base for a wig?

KarasaurusRexxx
03-13-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm cosplaying Mello at the Ikasucon this year, and my friend Jerri is coming as L! Sadly, I'm only about 1/2 way done with my cosplay...T-T.

Nia
03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
i really wanna cosplay as L, but i have to find a wig, does anyone have any suggestions as a good starting base for a wig?

I was wondering the same thing. I saw a premade L wig on Ebay but it wasn't that great.

I'm really hoping I can do L's hairstyle with my own hair. >< I just wish my hair wasn't so thin and flat.

orangepassion
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
8D yay Death Note! I'm hoping to cosplay Near since....he's love :D

As for the MisaMisa from the Death Note movie I think it'd be pretty quite to recognize as long as you have a little Death Note prop ya know? 8D

The Commodore
03-13-2007, 07:42 PM
With a wig, I could probably do a really good L cosplay. I have only read a few volumes of the mangas, so I don't know a whole lot about the series, but if I studied up on it, L could definately be a future cosplay for me.

riotgirl8268
03-13-2007, 10:24 PM
im a little leary buying wigs on ebay as well, i was thinking i may be able to styly a punky wig from cosworx for L, but i have to look into it a little more lol, since i have like 0% of experience with wigs, but i wanna learn.

vicky6666
03-15-2007, 01:31 PM
hello~! im new here :P

im planning to cosplay misa misa for anime north (thats in Canda btw)...
this is my outfit so far with no sewing/alterations...any help you pros can offer?
i plan to spray my hair blonde,add lace to the shirt,make a deathnote handbag, and find a few crucifixes somewhere
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a304/craftsteralltheway/Picture440.jpg

~Vicky~

ycysusan2001
03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
As for the MisaMisa from the Death Note movie I think it'd be pretty quite to recognize as long as you have a little Death Note prop ya know? 8D

ah.... never thought of that. um...then I think I am going to make a Misa Death Note then ^^~

Addaline
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
Ummm... *thinks of how to start* Hello there. I'm Addaline. I was trying to find information about cosplaying as L through Google and ended up here! I'm going to cosplay for the first time as L (and going to my first con soon, but don't tell anyone i said that! >XD) and was looking for some tips.

Pants: Planning to just go to the store and buy guy's pants in my size (I'm a girl, incase you can't tell by the name!). I'm thinking straight-leg, since he doesn't wear shoes?

Shirt: Mmm... I skimmed over most of this thread. I should just buy a longsleve white tee. Maybe stretch out the neck? Is there any specific brands or kinds you could suggest?

Shoes: Obviously, L doesn't wear shoes. I can't readily recall ever seeing him with shoes. But, for walking around, I'm thinking of just buying some comforatble sandals and just slipping them off when need (or impulse) arrises.

Hair: Here comes the difficulty. I've got the right color hair (dark brown, almost black, well, if you don't count the blue highlights) AND the right length (around chin length) but when it comes to hair styles, I wear it straight or get other people to fix it for me! Do you have any tips for getting it right? Step by step instructions would be much appreciated!

Demeanor: Not a big problem for me. I've kind of got a few L - like qualities as it is. And I can also act, so that's no big deal. Just have to get the voice down right.

Physical Attributes: Guy-cut pants will hide my hips, but there's the whole chest problem. What's your best suggestion for someone who's never crossdressed or cosplayed before? As for the skin tones, I'm fairly pale, and can come across some black eye shadow, but is there aything else i should consider?

Sorry for the length. Alot of this is probably useless to you all, but i wrote it down the way i thought about it, like a mental checklist. But I'd be really appreciate of any tips, expecially if you've cosplayed L before!

totemo_oishii
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
addaline - if you're worried about the chest, check out the crossplay forum and find the binding thread. it's a really useful thread. i wish you the best of luck on your L cosplay! :3

~

i'm planning on cosplay light soon. not for a con, but just for fun. :3 going to look for a blazer tomorrow - hope i'll get it together soon!

Addaline
03-23-2007, 06:15 PM
Cosplaying Light? Fun fun. Do you think you could pull off one of those terrifying faces of his? You know the ones of which i speak.

Thanks for the tip! I'll go check that thread.

totemo_oishii
03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
hahaha, i'll try my best to pull off his crazy expression! i'm buy the blazer tomorrow, i hope to have a photoshoot soon. :D

totemo_oishii
03-25-2007, 08:18 PM
I wore my Light costume for the first time today:
http://members.cosplay.com/costume/83223/
It's not extremely accurate...:/ I did it more out of fun, though. >w<

Pencil
03-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Shoes: Obviously, L doesn't wear shoes. I can't readily recall ever seeing him with shoes. But, for walking around, I'm thinking of just buying some comforatble sandals and just slipping them off when need (or impulse) arrises.

Actually, in the scene where he plays tennis with Light, L wears a pair of really beaten up tennis shoes, but hes stepping on their heel instead of haveing his whole foot in the shoe (*lol* god.... Im such a nerd for remembering that XD)

totemo_oishii- I like your Light. It looks great!

Nia
03-26-2007, 03:54 PM
Actually, in the scene where he plays tennis with Light, L wears a pair of really beaten up tennis shoes, but hes stepping on their heel instead of haveing his whole foot in the shoe (*lol* god.... Im such a nerd for remembering that XD)
Actually, I completely remember that part as well and have been looking around thrift stores for a pair of beaten up shoes as well for my L cosplay. xD I'd go for something white.

VoOdOoAustin
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I will be doing a Ryuk Cosplay for A-Kon 18 in June... I just finished the pants, boots, and skirt (?) and will be finishing out the belt tonight. I have also made all of my own accessories out of bondo (for example, the chain, i made each skull, and the belt buckle and death note holder). The costume is at most a medium difficulty costume, until you throw in the face, which will consequently make or break the costume (that and extreme skinniness {sp?}). It has become a difficult process, but for the mask I will be using special effects grade silicone (no esta cheapo, but it's the best) with a mold technique, so it will be form fitting. I decided to use my real hair, which is the reason I haven't cut it, wigs are too much to mess with...

Addaline
03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Nia/Pencil - I re-read that scene the day after I posted that. >XD

Awsome L costume totemo_oishii~

Kasumij
03-28-2007, 07:04 PM
I am so glad I found this thread. I am planning on cosplaying as Ryuk.

I think its kind of a bold move considering its my first ever con/cosplaying

I am excited, but scared that I will mess it up. ^^;

for the shirt I was thinking under armour......but I am not sure yet. Any ideas?

ycysusan2001
03-29-2007, 05:41 AM
does anyone know if Misa's death note have the "Hoe to use" page?

Foxchick
03-29-2007, 11:26 AM
L cosplay is very simple (well I guess it is if a: you have dark hair or b: deside to dye your hair dark). There are four key things you need ^^
1. white long sleeve shirt
2. baggy blue jeans (not cargo pants or anything with alot of pockets)
3. sleep deprivation XD (my personal favorite).
4. The L Guide (which can be found here --> http://www.deathgod.org/main.php?x=inter/lguide )

I can't wait to wear my L costume at No Brand Con this year XD

I thought all Death Notes had the "How to Use" page in them....

VoOdOoAustin
03-29-2007, 02:06 PM
I am so glad I found this thread. I am planning on cosplaying as Ryuk.

I think its kind of a bold move considering its my first ever con/cosplaying

I am excited, but scared that I will mess it up. ^^;

for the shirt I was thinking under armour......but I am not sure yet. Any ideas?

That's what i used... the only piece besides the boots that I actually bought and didn't make. The only accuracy issue I have had so far is height, I am only 5'9" so i got 4" boots... let me know how it goes... I hope to have some pics up in my gallery tonight of the finished pants, boots, skirt, and belt...

Kasumij
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
The only accuracy issue I have had so far is height, I am only 5'9" so i got 4" boots... let me know how it goes... I hope to have some pics up in my gallery tonight of the finished pants, boots, skirt, and belt...

haha, Yea, I just bought 3" boots, but I am still not tall enough... ><

oh well, I tend to be on the short side...:P

Addaline
04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
No, not all deathnotes have the "How To" in them. Ryuk is the only one (to my knolege) that wrote one in there. Remember how it talks about why he wrote it in english? then in the later volumes, Light manipulates the fact that only one deathnote has the "How To" in it. I'm going off memory here, so don't hold me to it, but i'm pretty sure Light's origional Death Note is the only one with it.

ycysusan2001
04-02-2007, 01:39 AM
No, not all deathnotes have the "How To" in them. Ryuk is the only one (to my knolege) that wrote one in there. Remember how it talks about why he wrote it in english? then in the later volumes, Light manipulates the fact that only one deathnote has the "How To" in it. I'm going off memory here, so don't hold me to it, but i'm pretty sure Light's origional Death Note is the only one with it.

XD thanks~~
that means less work for me ^^

majekili
04-02-2007, 03:10 AM
Currently I'm about 10% done a Mat costume (I found the striped shirt). Currently looking for a sheepskin jacket to ruin.

In any case, here is another example of an excellent shinigami I saw at March Toronto Anime Con:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Calysto619/MTAC%2007/MTAC020.jpg
I hope she won't mind me posting it here.

VoOdOoAustin
04-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah I saw her too! She did a great job... she actually went into a lot of detail on the strapping and stuff. I want to know how she did her gloves, they are wonderful!
The person who got me into cosplaying did Matt for Ikkicon in February, but he hadn't ben introduced in the american version yet, so no one knew who she was. Let me see if I have any pics and I will show you...

Here we go!
This one courtesy of skypirate.net!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/freek723/nanikki.jpg

This is one outside of the con!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/freek723/ikki031.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/freek723/ikki003.jpg

Moonlit Child
04-04-2007, 02:20 AM
Does anyone have a preferred pattern for making Mello's vest? I'm most likely going to be making that cosplay for a friend (female, so it's a crossplay, technically) and I'm having trouble finding either uni-sex or the equivalent (i.e, with no room for boobs) patterns. Any suggestions (that do NOT involve mutilating a raglan sleeve pattern) would be great.

I really want to avoid the hassle of having to majorly alter a woman's vest pattern for this. There has to be a guy's...something out there that I can use instead.

TGRH
04-04-2007, 08:05 AM
ill be doing someone from Death Note..after i have done my current cosplays can't really say who it is as its ment to be a "secret cosplay" heh.
It's going to be hard..and sometime ill have to say who it is to get some help :/
It's one of the Shinigami..

distantarray
04-07-2007, 02:53 PM
i'm thinking of trying to cosplay as L for Jacon, If I go i'll be making a wig for it, but i dunno yet. I don't want to cosplay as something and look like and idiot so what do you guys think?

this is me very bored attempting a L pose :untrust:

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/Picture17.jpg

Hatsumi
04-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Right now Im finishing my Misa cosplay, tomorrow there is a cosplay contest so Im making my best effort, is the white shirt and red ribbon outfit, but Im planning to add more lace and stuff, wish me luck!!
Im not going to be a contestant, but a judge, so I wanna look very good T_T gosh!
Good luck with all your DN cosplays!!
:D

Yukinosama
04-08-2007, 12:15 PM
My friend and I just love death note so we're considering doing a Misa and Rem cosplays. Lucky me is going to be Rem if we actually do this... but it won't be for a while because I want to make the Rem costume really good.. I just need to find some good reference pics.

distantarray
04-08-2007, 05:04 PM
My friend and I just love death note so we're considering doing a Misa and Rem cosplays. Lucky me is going to be Rem is we actually do this... but it won't be for a while because I want to make the Rem costume really good.. I just need to find some good reference pics.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/rem-1.jpg

absolutely the BEST REM costume I've EVER SEEN

more reference pics

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/vlcsnap-2725340.png

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/vlcsnap-2725416.png

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/vlcsnap-2723401.png

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/vlcsnap-2722456.png

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j64/distantarray/vlcsnap-2721355.png

xkowa
05-05-2007, 04:13 PM
for the hair, you could just do the movie L so it's easier

wpuzzle
05-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't remember where I got this one from, but this is, by far, the most amazing Ryuk/Rem cosplay I have ever seen.

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4199/am3wvmzh7.jpg

Before the movies came out, I first thought that they were for the movies, but the shinigamis in the movie are CGed. x_x

BurnSizzleMelt
06-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Does anyone have another image of this? Is there an image that shows more if this outfit for misa possibly?

Ryuzaki14
06-29-2007, 11:34 PM
anyone going to AFO? I'm going as L

crash_override
06-29-2007, 11:43 PM
L is an awesome character. i love him.

i did a hair test/mini cosplay of L. all i put in my hair is spray gel, but my hair is naturally course so it stayed pretty well. but a hair stylist should work well :] haha

the only specification i didn't see pertains to binding ... i say get some ace bandages (how many packs depends on how big your chest really is) and wrap those suckers flat ... but make sure you can still breathe and that you're comfy.

let us know how it goes!

crash_override
06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
oh wait, i didn't realize there are 8 pages to this. i feel stupid ;_;

ballet shoes
06-30-2007, 08:27 AM
I adore L he's a brilliant character. I agree that the key to pulling off a good L is definately the hair and the manorism's.

I would love to cosplay as L but unfortunately my hair is bone white and I already have to buy two wigs so I decided to cosplay as Near instead as my hair is pretty much exactly like his if I adjust the styling a little bit so it'd be a pity to waste it!!

Vampey
06-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I kinda need help with my Misa costume.. I've looked at other references of cosplayers being Misa and a lot of them seem to use different looks.. so there's not like.. one EXACT look for Misa..
So I went ahead and made an outfit.. but I'm not too sure it's gonna work for Misa.. I'll post a pic up in the next hour or so or a few days.. I'm tired and I don't feel like putting it on right now xD
Actually it looks kinda along the lines of what I have in my avatar.. [minus the ugly green wig no one likes xD]

I'm no longer using that blue skirt now.. One moment let me do some linkage.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Vampey/PICT0061.jpg

There's the black skirt now.. with some lace. I have to put bows on it soon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Vampey/PICT0050.jpg

And as for that one.. replace the blue skirt with the black skirt with lace.. remove the lace around the glove, and possibly the purple pouch from the belt.. Minus the green wig and minus the lace collar+bell... also cut the flap looking pieces so it's even with the skirt.. trust me it all lines up when I put it on.

Does it look like something Misa would wear?

Yes there's slits on each side of the black skirt.

Oh and I'm doing Misa from the Live Action Movie.. NOT the anime or manga.. I can't afford a wig right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v163/Vampey/misa2.jpg

^ My Misa hair. ^

Ryuzaki14
07-01-2007, 12:15 PM
All that looks pretty good. I'm having trouble finding a wig although i can easily get one off of the internet I'm not sure if I should for my L cosplay. Glad to see there are so many L lovers out there! Oh ya and btw about my chest I actualy do pretty good with that as you can see from my sasuke cosplay plus L is always hunched over so it's even easier. Thanks for the advice though now I need wig advice : P

PuppyAura
07-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Ah, should have come here a while back, we've got a death note group for our con in October. Light, Misa, L and Near, and hopefully Mello.
Our Misa is either going with white school t-shirt and red/black checkered tartan skirt - or something similar to vampey. But she's going to have white/black striped socks and the arm ones.
Oh and vampey your Misa hair looks really perfect!

For L, well I've got 'a' wig, I just don't think its thick enough cause I'm having so much trouble styling gah!
Ryuzaki whats wrong with the internet wigs? Or do you think you might just style your own hair for it? That's what I feel I might have to do =P
~ and yes, a there's a lot of L lovers around, actually I think everyone I know loves L!

Vampey
07-02-2007, 06:34 AM
You really think it looks good?! *squee* The friend that asked me to be Misa said the same thing! And I actually convinced my boyfriend to go as Light. He's gonna grow his hair out a bit just for me! :3 His hair is almost exact just shorter in the back :3~!

I wanted to do the black and white stockings and gloves but I couldn't figure out when I'd use them outside of the con..

Koi
07-03-2007, 08:49 AM
...I don't know about everyone else, but I'm kind of torn up about Matts appearance in the anime:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mattis_smoking.png

Versus the red hair and white/black striped shirt everyone is used to. Now I'm kind of torn between being accurate, and the colours that I was so accustomed to before...

Hyuuga Tenten
07-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I know what ya mean about colors they seem to change a bit.

I'll be going as Near to an up coming con. I just have to buy the wig now.... (wigs are a big deal huh ^_^) I think this is the cheapest costume I have (duh :B) I have his whole outfit (- toys) and it only cosed me $5. ^_^

Moonlit Child
07-03-2007, 01:40 PM
My Matt for Otakon is going to be a fusion of the manga and anime coloring--black and white shirt but brown hair, because I don't feel like dying my hair red.

Challeux
07-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I got my Misa Death Note today in the mail.
:heart:

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6...ture015te8.png
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4...ture016gv8.png
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/6...ture017we2.png

Sorry the images are bad quality,
My hands are shaky when I take pictures.

PuppyAura
07-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Either its my computer or they're not working?

Anyone styling L's wig? How are you doing it? Movie or manga?
This is me right now: "*moan* stay there spike *groan* no point that way *cry* stupid wig! *hate-hate-hate* I think I cut it too short *cry* oh there we go *happy* no! No! Stay! *moan and cry*
I have 2 hours Oo' ... ahh well its a party not a con so *whew*
I actually came here for some proper reason - but now after the moaning I've forgotten :thumbsup: I'll come back later.

zanko_san
07-07-2007, 05:28 PM
im planning on cosplaying L in the near future i live in FL so i might cosplay him sometime next year. . im not too sure about wigs though. . ill most likely get one though. as for the personality i got it i was at the mall the other night and my girlfriends friends pointed something out to me this is what they said

"OMG! you talk on the phone like L i wonder if you eat like him too?":eek:

i was like oh crap i guess i do XD

but yeah im gonna try to pull L off soon

Devi 1313
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I noticed Amphigory has a wig called "Razor Sleek" that in black looks just like L's. If I ever crossplay as him that's what I'd choose. Oh, and I loooove L. If I ever find a hot L cosplayer that really looks like him I'm gonna ask him if I can kiss him on the cheek.

I'm thinking of making a Misa costume, but I have my heart set on wearing striped stockings and knee high boots. Are there any specific outfits with both of those? I just started reading the manga and so far I've just seen the outfit with the white top and red neck ribbon.

Arienette
07-08-2007, 11:45 PM
I noticed Amphigory has a wig called "Razor Sleek" that in black looks just like L's. If I ever crossplay as him that's what I'd choose. Oh, and I loooove L. If I ever find a hot L cosplayer that really looks like him I'm gonna ask him if I can kiss him on the cheek.

I'm thinking of making a Misa costume, but I have my heart set on wearing striped stockings and knee high boots. Are there any specific outfits with both of those? I just started reading the manga and so far I've just seen the outfit with the white top and red neck ribbon.

Yep, my friend actually used the Razor Sleek for her L wig ^____^ It needed a bit of spiking but it worked really well.

As for Misa costumes, I don't know; I've only done the white top and red ribbon one. She does wear thigh-high striped stockings with that outfit, and her shoes aren't shown in the only picture there is of it, so you could always wear boots with it if you wanted.

Hotaru230
07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
does anyone have any high quality images of Misa's loli dress from the anime?
i want to make that for DragonCOn this year.
and i plan to do either gas mask or zipper shirt Mello too.

look on my profile to see that i have dones many versions of Misa and Light.
and i just did some Mello versions for MetroCOn
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/P2130379.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/P2130363.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/mensroom.jpg

my friend did Matsuda
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/P2130365.jpg

here is the best Matt ref pics i have
some are fan art
*warning some are Mello x Matt yaoi*
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/mattsmall.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/1171407297404.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/matnmello.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/img20061004_p.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/1162185032958.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/060730MMpho.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/img20060603.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/1168272495811.gif

and for the person who asked on where to start on Mello, i suggest trying to find/make the main parts (vest, pants, and shoes) of his costume first and going from there.

and for the person who had the vest question for the crossplay of Mello, i would just make it like a size bigger depending how big you are (you chest is). i mainly do that in all my crossplays, but if you're too big to get away with just that then you will have to bind them.

if anyone has any questions on how to do Misa, Light, or Mello versions just pm me on here and i will be happy to try to help you. ; )

cassiebraun
07-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Im going as L too this year, and im also female,so I have to get some ace wraps and wrap my boobs, ok but yeah the costume is simple, just a knit off white long sleeve shirt, slightly baggy pants and no shoes. At first I had trouble with finding a wig and then I found one at http://www.cosplaymagic.com/denolry.html
At first I thought it kind of didn't look like L but my friend got his there and it looks great on him, he just added gel or wax or something to make it have a more natural look. Thats actually what inspired me to go as L. Plus it looks very close to L's real hair color which is dark brown, kinda black. Good luck to you though!!

Hotaru230
07-23-2007, 12:50 PM
my b/f said that he would do a Matt to me Mello for DragonCon.
but we are having a hard time finding the black and white striped shirt for him.
i want to try to make it for him out of using a long sleeve white t-shirt and painting the black stripes on there. i thought that i could put tape on the shirt to get the lines right. but what kind of paint can i use to do this that will work? is there something i can buy at a craft store and for how much? also what tape (and tape size) should i use?

ItsNotEasy
07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
its easy to find the gogles, just search ebay for welding gogles or something, that have some pretty awesome ones. oh and they also have a japanese deathnote live action movie(has subtitles), and a cartoon. im getting the live action movie for my b-day

Un-chan
07-23-2007, 05:53 PM
my b/f said that he would do a Matt to me Mello for DragonCon.
but we are having a hard time finding the black and white striped shirt for him.
i want to try to make it for him out of using a long sleeve white t-shirt and painting the black stripes on there. i thought that i could put tape on the shirt to get the lines right. but what kind of paint can i use to do this that will work? is there something i can buy at a craft store and for how much? also what tape (and tape size) should i use?

I wouldn't suggest paint...it's a pain in the arse.
Also, wasn't Matt's shirt red-and-black in the anime?

Your best bet would be to sew pre-striped fabric into a shirt.

Moonlit Child
07-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Hot Topic should have all of your stripped shirt needs. I managed to get both a black and white stripped shirt as well as a pink-ish red and black one. But finding stripped fabric would be your second best bet to not being able to buy the shirt outright.

Kakeru
07-24-2007, 11:35 AM
I think it's really cool that there are so many Death Note fans here <3 I would love to cosplay Raito one day, but my main DN goal at the moment is to cosplay as Mikami. After he appeared in the manga, I had this horrible urge to cosplay as him. I would go as him to my next con, but I've already got two costumes planned, so I guess he'll have to wait ;0; Is there anyone else here who likes Mikami or has cosplayed him before?

Hotaru230
07-24-2007, 01:01 PM
i looked at HT and HT online and they didn't have one in his size. the one in the anime is dark pink and black
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/ShippouFan/Death%20Note/Matt/deathnote3512LG.jpg
sowing black fabric stips seems complicated and like it would be a pain

i'm a Mimaki fangirl!
the first one is me as Ratio and Mikami from JACON
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/JACON/P7060200.jpg
rest are Mikami cosplays i've found
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/700413_3963004980.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/12.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/LittleKittyKyon/ACEN%202007/DSCF0210.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/remyrezz/Cosplay/Death%20Note/Group/Picture11.png

Koi
07-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I need help with a mello costume.
I think it's his second, right after his face is burnt. It's the one with the black jacket and fur hood, with flames coming down the sides.

I'm wondering how other people have managed to put the flames on, whether with fabric or paint or something. I can't figure it out

Hotaru230
07-25-2007, 08:39 AM
the Mello that i met at MomoCOn this year told me that she painted the designs onto the shoulders of the jacket and glued on the snaps that she carved out of plaster.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MomoCon%20cosplay/dn19.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MomoCon%20cosplay/P5180015.jpg

Devi 1313
07-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Man, I need to go out and get some more volumes of the manga. I'm only on 4 and thinking, "Mello? Matt? Ok, heard of those...Mimaki?? Who's that!?"

I'm thinking I might just make Misa's outfit from the cover of vol. 4. I can actually find chains and belts like that at HT and tank tops with zippers don't seem too hard. I think I'll probably make several Misa costumes because they're easy. Oh, I saw Ryuk's skull chain at HT too in case anyone's looking!

I have this idea to go to the grocery store just before a con and order a cake with black & white frosting with a big L on it and take it to a gathering. Might make for a fun photo op!

Hotaru230
07-26-2007, 09:55 AM
I saw the same thing and thought Mello's wallet chain, but i knwo what you're talking about since Ryuk's wallet chain looks like that too. But Matt's wallet chain is not like that....it's a simplier one.

Arienette
07-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Man, I need to go out and get some more volumes of the manga. I'm only on 4 and thinking, "Mello? Matt? Ok, heard of those...Mimaki?? Who's that!?"

I'm thinking I might just make Misa's outfit from the cover of vol. 4. I can actually find chains and belts like that at HT and tank tops with zippers don't seem too hard. I think I'll probably make several Misa costumes because they're easy. Oh, I saw Ryuk's skull chain at HT too in case anyone's looking!

I have this idea to go to the grocery store just before a con and order a cake with black & white frosting with a big L on it and take it to a gathering. Might make for a fun photo op!

Devi, I love that cake idea. You should totally do it. XD

Devi 1313
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
heck yea, especially since I'm a L fangirl. I wonder if a little cake would fit in a hotel fridge...

Koi
07-26-2007, 07:20 PM
the Mello that i met at MomoCOn this year told me that she painted the designs onto the shoulders of the jacket and glued on the snaps that she carved out of plaster.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MomoCon%20cosplay/dn19.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MomoCon%20cosplay/P5180015.jpg

Thanks!
Has anyone tried to do it the other way by attaching red fabric over top of the jacket? Or would know how to do that? Just wondering.

Koisnake
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Lawl, Koi. You stole the first half of my name. Nah, I'm just joking.

Anyways, I found a good site for wigs, but I don't know which to choose for Raito. Mind helping me? If none, then can anyone direct me to a site where I can buy one, besides ebay's cosplaywigs?
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfrppZ25QQfrtsZ25QQsassZperihair

Thanks in advance, I've been trying to look for a wig that needs minimal styling and the right color.

Devi 1313
07-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Raito = Light, yes? I haven't seen the anime yet :( How 'bout this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Light-Brown-Cute-Stylish-Straight-Wigs-08020001_W0QQitemZ110151386229QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6 0188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or this (even though it looks like it flips out on the bottom) http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Light-Brown-Wigs-For-Men-08030008_W0QQitemZ110152027342QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1 060QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem this too! http://cgi.ebay.com/Death-Note-Light-Yagami-Kira-Wig-cosplay-Short-Brown-2_W0QQitemZ190134269962QQihZ009QQcategoryZ73573QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On an unrelated note if I do Misa from the Vol. 4 manga cover do you think anyone would notice/care if I didn't do those weird black arm blade things? Aside from being hard to make I have a feeling I'll have a hard time grabbing onto stuff without knocking it over.

Koisnake
07-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Raito = Light, yes? I haven't seen the anime yet :( How 'bout this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Light-Brown-Cute-Stylish-Straight-Wigs-08020001_W0QQitemZ110151386229QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6 0188QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or this (even though it looks like it flips out on the bottom) http://cgi.ebay.com/Short-Light-Brown-Wigs-For-Men-08030008_W0QQitemZ110152027342QQihZ001QQcategoryZ1 060QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem this too! http://cgi.ebay.com/Death-Note-Light-Yagami-Kira-Wig-cosplay-Short-Brown-2_W0QQitemZ190134269962QQihZ009QQcategoryZ73573QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

On an unrelated note if I do Misa from the Vol. 4 manga cover do you think anyone would notice/care if I didn't do those weird black arm blade things? Aside from being hard to make I have a feeling I'll have a hard time grabbing onto stuff without knocking it over.

Yes yes, Raito is Light. The reason why some people say Raito is because thats how its spelt in Japanese. R's and pronouched L's. Plus, "Light" is an american word, therefore, hard for them to pronouched. Therefore, the O was put in the end so they can pronouch it better, like Lighto. Though, its just pronouched Light.

Thanks for your help! I like the first one, since, it looks good and is less expensive.

Itsuki13
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
u know whats funny I am probably going to cosplay as L for Bostone 2008 I missed 2007. I love L. am for some part I am like him. when I'm not in school I sit like him because its actually quit comfortable. I'm sitting like him write now. when I'm at school the sdchool would kill me uf I sat like that. I luv to eat sweets. mostly lollipops cuz I can get thoses more freequently and my mom doesn't yell at me when I eat like twentie like she does with things like 20 peices of cake or candy. its sorta like a mello thing except with lillipops. ^.^ and I'm really smart ^.^ at least at math, chemisty, history and art history. hehe I luv L well that had nothing to do with the question but u already made ur costume so I said heck might as well say it so I did. luv ur costume bibi

AndoMasanobu
07-27-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes yes, Raito is Light. The reason why some people say Raito is because thats how its spelt in Japanese. R's and pronouched L's. Plus, "Light" is an american word, therefore, hard for them to pronouched. Therefore, the O was put in the end so they can pronouch it better, like Lighto. Though, its just pronouched Light.

Thanks for your help! I like the first one, since, it looks good and is less expensive.

hey! new to this thread but just thought id give you a heads up, i bought a wig from that dealer, they are high quality fiber wigs but the one i got from them was REALLY thin (you could see the wefts through the hair). i mean, you get what you pay for XD but i just thought you'd want to know.
~aoi

Dejiko Mew Mew
07-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Death Note cosplay yayyyy~ :D

So far, I've cosplayed as L and Matsuda, and my brother was Light/Raito with me for the former :]

At Ikasucon in a couple weeks, I'm going to be cosplaying Beyond Birthday from the novel, although I'm sure everyone will think I'm L XD; Can't say as I blame them :P

I had been using my real hair for L, but it got to be a pain, so I ordered the Razor Sleek from Amphigory, and I'm just gonna touch it up a bit :<

My brother used his real hair for Raito, because... He looks just like him @_@; But I directed a friend of mine to "cosplaywig" on eBay, and she was really satisfied with the wig she got there :) Plus it was cheap! ^_^

AndoMasanobu
07-27-2007, 09:32 PM
i just did near at otakon this past weekend, super fun cosplay! i was hugged so much and i got attacked by a group of mellows for my finger puppets XD i had a friend go as L that i meet up with so that added to the experience. it was really a serious good time n.n <3 cant wait to wear it again at Anime USA ^_^ link to pic in my sig.
~aoi

Koisnake
07-27-2007, 09:58 PM
AndoMasanobu - Thanks alot for the tip. Maybe I'll look else where.

One more quick question. About Raito's/Light's blazer. Whats a good place to get it, in its accurate color? Where do you get yours? Thanks alot.

hi.to.ri
07-28-2007, 02:01 PM
I cosplayed L at AX2007, and I have to say, the best part of him, by far, is the RP. <3 it's fun, you get candy and delicious treats, and for some of us (mainly me), it requires very little change in mannerisms! =P anyone here planning death note for sakurakon2008?

mewillusion
07-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Koisnake: I've heard a lot of good things from the user Zhenna0036. Plus the wigs are pretty good in price.
http://stores.ebay.com/Designer-Wigs-and-Color-Wigs

I plan on making the movie version of Misa until I can get a blonde wig to do the anime/manga one.

Koisnake
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Koisnake: I've heard a lot of good things from the user Zhenna0036. Plus the wigs are pretty good in price.
http://stores.ebay.com/Designer-Wigs-and-Color-Wigs

I plan on making the movie version of Misa until I can get a blonde wig to do the anime/manga one.

I've actually purchases two wigs from that place before. The only down side is the wigs are abit thin but they're really nice. Though, I can't find a color that would be perfect for my cosplay. Plus, I can see they're prices went up, boo hoo.

And thats an adorable idea, I do like Movie Misa Misa.

mewillusion
07-28-2007, 04:45 PM
There's actually two outfits I want to do, her default one with the red plaid skirt and the one where she meets Rem.
Then when I finally get enough money and the right wig I plan on making her outfit from this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hBpSt_-cNpo
I'm confused on which episode it's from because I thought it was 35, then 37, then I saw 25 and I'm lost. XD

Yeu
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I figure I'll ask here. The handcuff that Raito and L wore with the long chain... does anyone know where I can get them?

Merushi
07-31-2007, 02:20 PM
for the topic starter. or any female L's. You don't have to cut your hair, just buy a black, skater boy like styled straight haired wig.
Style it like his hair style, not that hard since the Death note artist or creator didn't really base it in a fantasy world where there hair look anti-gravitational, or impossible to have, with natural hair colors.

If you have boobs that show, use a shorts bra and tape. If you have a cups, use a tight sports bra. If you have nothing, then wear a sports bra anyways unless it's very noticible you have one on.

His Jeans aren't dark btw, they're kinda light.

Makeup tip, well, his eyes have black rims, as everyone knows. Just put eyeliner on the bottom rim of your eyes, and some under the lashes, smudge it a little across and a bit downwards. To make it darker, just keep over lining it until it's good enough to you. Or L enough.
Don't over do it cause if you sweat (hot summers in jeans, black hair, and a long sleeve) the liner will smudge everywhere under the eyes because of sweat.

His brows to me look hardly there. Make you brows thin, or, just use the bangs of your hair/wig, and slightly cover the brows.

Barefoot- If the convention administration wont let you, wear the sneakers he wore during college thing he went to to reveal his identity to Raito. The torn up dirty ones. (makes him look like a clean hobo with bad feet :toothy: )

He does look farely simple, but there are those little things that you want to make sure you did right to make yours the best compared to the rest.

hi.to.ri
07-31-2007, 02:36 PM
I figure I'll ask here. The handcuff that Raito and L wore with the long chain... does anyone know where I can get them?

I ended up making mine. it isn't too hard, if you can get chain (local Home Depot) and handcuffs (the cheap kind is easier to pry apart, but expensive ones work too! ^_^)

in all mine ended up requiring about an hour of craft time and $20 or so. Just pry apart the chain in between the cuffs, add length that suits you, squeeze the separated chain back together with tweezers of sort. :)

Meru:

Most conventions won't let you walk around barefoot indoors. outside you can pretty much do whatever you want, but be careful to look down when you can. hunch your back a little bit and keep a wide stare on the ground so you don't encounter any killer-glass. >_<

as for indoors, definitely remember to bring shoes of some sort. you can bring sandals as long as you remember to take them off for photos, but never wear socks. I wish I would have had some good shoes w/ me for Sac Anime, as I ended up getting kicked out by the security there because it 'wasn't safe for the other attendees' (never mind the katana's/nanchaku/sai for sale =P)

edit: Blargh! I forgot! ANN says there's a new movie coming out about the life of L. can anyone please translate the trailer? o.o

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/L-movie/

thank you!!! =3

Dejiko Mew Mew
07-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Most places, yeah, don't let you walk around barefoot~

But if you look, even L wears shoes when he goes out in public. :) He wears really crummy gym shoes with no socks, and he steps on the heels XD

Merushi
07-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Meru:

Most conventions won't let you walk around barefoot indoors. outside you can pretty much do whatever you want, but be careful to look down when you can. hunch your back a little bit and keep a wide stare on the ground so you don't encounter any killer-glass. >_<

as for indoors, definitely remember to bring shoes of some sort. you can bring sandals as long as you remember to take them off for photos, but never wear socks. I wish I would have had some good shoes w/ me for Sac Anime, as I ended up getting kicked out by the security there because it 'wasn't safe for the other attendees' (never mind the katana's/nanchaku/sai for sale =P)

edit: Blargh! I forgot! ANN says there's a new movie coming out about the life of L. can anyone please translate the trailer? o.o

http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/L-movie/

thank you!!! =3

mean security guards! I would have just thrown the crap and ran, lol :P.

oh, i'll try my best on translation. I haven't been in Japanese class since summer break, so i may be a tad rusty.

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
At Sakura Con, I met two girls who did. ^^ As mentioned before though, they just did the 'feminized' versions of them.

http://img349.imageshack.us/img349/6116/img18570sm.jpg

Someone took a random picture of us all sitting around together, but, yeah. ^^ That's them..
do you have any better pictures of them that show their whole outfits?
or can i get any other Rem cosplay pics?
someone is talking about doing Rem for my Death Note group for ANime South in Dec and would like ideas and example on how to do it.

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Then when I finally get enough money and the right wig I plan on making her outfit from this video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hBpSt_-cNpo
I'm confused on which episode it's from because I thought it was 35, then 37, then I saw 25 and I'm lost. XD
OMG i'm in the middle of doing this one too 0_0 for DragonCon in Sept
i believe it's anime episodes 25 and 37.....i think :crylaugh:
how are you doing this?
i'm redoing a GL dress that i already have and adding a jacket with bell sleeves to it.
here are the reference pics i have so far
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/Dragon%20Con/
plz let me know if you find any better ones!
these are ones i made (screen caps) and ones i searched and searched on the internet to find. :chatah: and they still are really vague :lost:

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 10:53 AM
people will still know who you are and it will be ok. ; )
i did that version of her like that last year for Anime SOuth and everyone luved it. : )
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/death%20note/misahm6.jpg

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Death Note cosplay yayyyy~ :D

So far, I've cosplayed as L and Matsuda, and my brother was Light/Raito with me for the former :]

can i see some pictures of your Matsuda cosplay?
my b/f did Matsu for Metrocon and i just wondering how you did it.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/P2130362.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/MetroCon/LLightMatsu.jpg

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
its easy to find the gogles, just search ebay for welding gogles or something, that have some pretty awesome ones. oh and they also have a japanese deathnote live action movie(has subtitles), and a cartoon. im getting the live action movie for my b-day

my Matt got his at Walmart in the sporting goods section. they are paint ball googles. and they look pretty much like the ones in the anime.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d31/Meh230/Aug%20Death%20Note%20photoshoot/P3130446.jpg

Hotaru230
08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
I ended up making mine. it isn't too hard, if you can get chain (local Home Depot) and handcuffs (the cheap kind is easier to pry apart, but expensive ones work too! ^_^)

in all mine ended up requiring about an hour of craft time and $20 or so. Just pry apart the chain in between the cuffs, add length that suits you, squeeze the separated chain back together with tweezers of sort. :)

Walmart sells the metal ones (handcuffs) in the toy department and they are like around $3 and i have seen plastic ones in toy sections at dollar stores.
i've also seen the extra chain at walmart in the sowing section, but you could also use the chain off a dog leash which i have also seen at dollar stores.

i have had to make at least 3 of these already because "something" always ends up happening to mine and they get broken at every con i do the Light and L handcuff cosplay. *rolls eyes*
i have one working one and one broken one at this point. : P

Dejiko Mew Mew
08-06-2007, 03:53 PM

Sure! ^^ Unfortunately, I've only got one decent one, since I didn't get a chance to get pics with my own camera ^^;; but here's me all the way on the right:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/Izzy_Cosplay/Death%20Note/Matsuda/IMG_0021.jpg

I do intend to go and take some more pictures though, especially since I didn't get any with my business card I made:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/Izzy_Cosplay/Death%20Note/Matsuda/BusinessCard.jpg

:)

Elendriel
08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I've almost completed my Mello cosplay, which is in my gallery (i'm currently working on a few other details, will post pics soon)

However, I couldn't resist doing THIS cosplay :D

hehe

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=85178&member=46611

hi.to.ri
08-07-2007, 06:04 AM

ooh! i love the bag in the first picture!!! did you get it online? ^_^

and as for the handcuffs, I guess i've been pretty luck so far. Mine have gone through quite a bit of use, in/out of cosplay, and have held up pretty well. nothing broken yet! \(^~^)/

Hotaru230
08-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Sure! ^^ Unfortunately, I've only got one decent one, since I didn't get a chance to get pics with my own camera ^^;; but here's me all the way on the right:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/Izzy_Cosplay/Death%20Note/Matsuda/IMG_0021.jpg

I do intend to go and take some more pictures though, especially since I didn't get any with my business card I made:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j267/Izzy_Cosplay/Death%20Note/Matsuda/BusinessCard.jpg

:)

that's cool that you made the card. 0_0
he was trying to make the Misa picture, but had a hard time. but he did find a Misa phone charm in the Metrocon dealer's room to use.

Hotaru230
08-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I've almost completed my Mello cosplay, which is in my gallery (i'm currently working on a few other details, will post pics soon)

However, I couldn't resist doing THIS cosplay :D

hehe

http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?cat=85178&member=46611

0_0 great mello and matt!
where/how did you get/make the matt gloves?
i plan on doing a sexy female matt cosplay

Dejiko Mew Mew
08-07-2007, 09:59 AM
that's cool that you made the card. 0_0
he was trying to make the Misa picture, but had a hard time. but he did find a Misa phone charm in the Metrocon dealer's room to use.

Aww, that's awesome! I tried to make the actual card, too, but I couldn't find the picture anywhere else, and there was too much blockage shown in the anime to use it ^^;; So I printed up a different picture of her :]

Also, I had a gun with me, but I never used it~ ;D XD;;

Hotaru230
08-07-2007, 10:03 AM
ooh! i love the bag in the first picture!!! did you get it online? ^_^

and as for the handcuffs, I guess i've been pretty luck so far. Mine have gone through quite a bit of use, in/out of cosplay, and have held up pretty well. nothing broken yet! \(^~^)/
that Misa is not me...so i don't know where she got that bag

all the things that have happened to my handcuffs:
~broken after leaving them in friend's hotel room (AWA)
~borrowed and not given back (Anime SOuth)
~borrowed and broken by L and her Bleach fangirls on Ichigo (JACON)

carfax04
08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I want to be Misa but I do not look alike :lost: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Elendriel
08-07-2007, 06:57 PM
0_0 great mello and matt!
where/how did you get/make the matt gloves?
i plan on doing a sexy female matt cosplay

Thanks! :D

gloves I found at Walgreens actually :D

Fyrebyrne
08-07-2007, 07:21 PM
i looked at HT and HT online and they didn't have one in his size. the one in the anime is dark pink and black
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/ShippouFan/Death%20Note/Matt/deathnote3512LG.jpg
sowing black fabric stips seems complicated and like it would be a pain

I ended up going with the smaller size shirt from HT for two reasons. A - My vest would cover the shirt anyway, so it wouldn't matter if the shirt was smaller and tight. And B - It was so light and airy that it didn't feel tight at all

The vest was a pain to do, but i'm glad I did it. I ended up spending 14 hours between two days to sew all the faux fur fabric to my vest. Couple pics are in my Photo Gallery, let me konw what you guys think.

Hotaru230
08-08-2007, 08:51 AM
CloakedSchemer is see that you plan on doing a Rem.
how are you going to do it? could you please post some tips on that here since i know 2 people that have also talked about doing that character and pass your experience on to them. : )

Kai DN:L
03-24-2008, 11:10 PM
i started acting like L in general as soon as i got about 15 episodes into the series x]

i'm a guy so it's a little easier
but i wear the same blue jeans and the same 7 plain, white, long-sleeve shirts everyday
i make sure to excercise everyday so that my metabolism can keep up with the constant candy and sugar x]

but the coolest thing is, i have dark, long, messy, brown hair
and being that i take 5 AP classes, my eyes are already really dark from lack of sleep x]

i love going to the library and sitting in the odd position while adding endless packets of sugar to my coffee
i get the funniest looks from people x]

Kai DN:L
03-24-2008, 11:53 PM
haha
i think you need to spend quite some time inside
you gotta work on getting paler x]
so do i ><

navigated
03-25-2008, 08:34 AM
If you spend as much time indoors working on costumes as I do, being pale isn't a problem at all. Actually my Matt and I were noticing that the sun was unusually bright yesterday, but then we considered the possibility that we just hadn't been outside in a long while.

In kind of a random unrelated note, I'm interested to see what effect the dub is going to have on the number of Death Note cosplayers. I've only been to one con since it came out, but it was very early on, so the numbers were a bit larger than what I was used to, but not by much. I'm sure as with any dub that's released it's going to cause an explosion of cosplayers. Which is always fun, more people to hang out with, but I remember a time when I could wear my Mello costume and have people ask who I was supposed to be. Which seems like a very long time ago.

Kaits
03-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I just got into death note a few weeks ago and I'm up to chapter 65 (the library was too slow. gotta love the internet!). It's AMAZING! L is pretty much my favorite thing ever. :D

My brother and I are cosplaying L and Light on Thursday and I've already picked up some mannerisms. It's fun to be a weirdo. And I just want to ask: "How hard is it to find a plain white long sleeve tee?" I searched thrift stores, target, and Walmart and couldn't find any in the men's department. Eventually I went with a women's shirt that was ok. But serioulsy, what's the deal?

HyperShadow
03-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Yay a DN cosplay thread! =D I cosplay as Matt, and debuted my costume at Kumoricon '07. I was really surprised at how hard it was to find a simple back and white striped shirt. oO

Kaits
03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Note to self: Playing DDR in flipflops is not fun. But then, L shouldn't wear shoes so there. :P

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/135296/

Yo-Yo
03-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I haven't finished Matt's jacket yet, but tomorrow I'm debuting the rest of him. ='] The pants are too baggy and I neglected to take the staples out where I sewed the striped... lol. My boots haven't come, and my cousin decided to steal my DS...

..It prooobably won't go well.

Rem_Death-Note
03-29-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm going to the London Expo in may this year with my brother, sister, cousin and a few of my friends.
I'm going as Rem
my sis is going as Misa
my mates for safety reasons and since I believe in Kira r gonna b identified by their initials.
C is going as L
E is going as Rukia (we're gonna do a skit of DN meets Bleach)
I'm not sure about my cousin
I'm still trying to convince my brother to go as Ryuk cos he looks like him.

I know Rem is a hard cosplay but for the love of god this is RIDICULOUS!!! In the whole of the north-east of england I cannot find a single shop that sells the stuff I need! HELP ME FELLOW BRITS!

MinaKitsune
03-30-2008, 02:43 AM
I'm new to cosplay, and getting ready to go to my first FanimeCon in San Jose! I'll be going as either Near or Light, which will be kinda difficult since I'm a girl, but I'm willing to cut my hair, and maybe even dye it, but I don't think my parents will be too up to the idea of me looking like a boy lol. Does anybody know where I can buy a good Near or Light wig? And how do I tuck my hair in the wig without making it look weird?

ZGoku296
03-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Found this great site for reference pictures (high quality ones) from all 37 episodes -

Thanx, my friend, I think I can work with these.

alexstarrr
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Yay a DN cosplay thread! =D I cosplay as Matt, and debuted my costume at Kumoricon '07. I was really surprised at how hard it was to find a simple back and white striped shirt. oO

i know the feeling. :|
its officially the wrong season for them
doing matt cosplay for mcm and i'm going insane.
any ideas about how to make/find the vest?
because i've never sewed in my life and i need help D:

HyperShadow
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
i know the feeling. :|
its officially the wrong season for them
doing matt cosplay for mcm and i'm going insane.
any ideas about how to make/find the vest?
because i've never sewed in my life and i need help D:

Might I suggest thrift stores. That's where I ended up finding mine.
The vest I had commissioned by a very talented user on here called Brittany Bunny. I wish I could say I made it. >< If you don't want to commission it, you could always find a similar style of vest and just work from there.

Devoted
04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Alrighty, so I'm definately going as Mario and Rinoa Heartilly to Otakon this year, but I've been debating pulling together an L costume for Day Three.

It's very tempting. I just started watching the anime and it's pretty much consuming my brain at this point xD.

I'm a girl, yes, so there's a bit of an issue, but I'm very tall and relatively shapeless, so guy's jeans and a baggy shirt should cover that. It's the wig I'm worried about, because my hair needs to be long for Rinoa and I can't cut it (besides, it's not the right color).

I'm just going to get a short wig off the internet that's about chin length, but I can't flat iron it. Any suggestions for how to create the spike effect would be very very helpful.

=3?

Moonlit Child
04-09-2008, 09:11 AM
I've seen some good pre-styled wigs for L myself. Hunt around e-bay and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Or, go to the Marketplace here and ask for a quote on a commission, there are some really talented stylists here!

And as a fellow Matt cosplayer, I share the frustration of finding a black and white stripped shirt. But as anyone actually looked for the exact style of jeans he wears too? I ended up just buying denim fringe and sewing it on.

ogichiman23
04-29-2008, 08:35 PM

I would suggest getting some of those marching koala cookies for L cosplay!! yummyyyyy~

I went on ebay and found one for about 30 dollars so . . . yea

WilwarinAndamar
05-01-2008, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=HuongStar;1346619]Has anyone ever cosplayed as one of the shinigami? Or if you have any pictures of other cosplayers that made any of the shinigami, please post them here. :)[QUOTE]

I'm planning on cosplaying Ryuk sometime next year. :eek: It's going to be REALLY hard considering my skills, but I'm still going to try.

Kaits
05-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Anyone getting ready to cosplay for the movie? I'm totally excited even though I've heard the movie isn't that great.

jennarose
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Anyone getting ready to cosplay for the movie? I'm totally excited even though I've heard the movie isn't that great.

Oo I am!!! My friends and I are going to get a Death Note group together and I'll get to be L. So am I...just 20 more days away.

Hyura
05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Oh man~~ Death Note cosplayers are still my favorites to see around con time. Seriously, I don't think I'll ever get sick of cosplaying from or seeing others cosplay from this series. It's simply too awesome.

I haven't really planned any new DN cosplays because I enjoy doing Mello so much, but I will be doing a semi-new Raver and formal version of him, if you wanna count those. XDD
In the future I may make one of his other outfits (perhaps the zippery one? Or the sexy fluffy coat? Oh, the possibilities >D). I'd also like to cosplay Takada since she's my favorite female character (along with Halle♥)~ but I obviously will wait to do that until I have a Light or group to go with since... she isn't very recognizable by her lonesome. xD;

But yeah, other than that I hope to see more DN cosplayers this year. Especially Matt's.<3

The Commodore
05-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Does anyone know a good place online to find a thermal type shirt for L? I know American Apparel has them, but theirs look like they would fit tightly, and I'd like a looser one.

No ones going to look down on me if I get some clear or white flip flops to wear around a con, right? I'm not big on walking around barefoot in public. I'd take em off for photos.

jennarose
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Does anyone know a good place online to find a thermal type shirt for L? I know American Apparel has them, but theirs look like they would fit tightly, and I'd like a looser one.

I found my L shirt on Amazon. It looks like a good material and by getting a size bigger than your regular size it should fit loosely.

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Hanes-Ladies-Sleeve-T-Shirt/dp/B0012FR4AQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1210025366&sr=1-13

Though I technically haven't got it yet, I just ordered it on Saturday, but I will post pictures when I get it.

It also has a nice price tag. Kind of nice knowing you can spend a bit more on a good L wig. (if used)

It was really one of the only good shirts I seen without the ribbed cuffs around the wrists.

ballet shoes
05-05-2008, 05:21 PM

Even though Ive seen it many times Im excited too. More excited about the fact that its actually going to be released here in England too!! I'm thinking about cosplaying L, just because I have to buy a black wig tomorrow for another costume and I just realised that I can actually cosplay L with it!! BONUS!!!!!!

Kaits
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
So I bleached my hair without even thinking about how I was going to be L this weekend. But I realized I can pull off Misa so I took a button-down of mine and added lace. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up soon.

Where does one find black and white stripey tights? Hot Topic? Claires?

The Commodore
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
I found my L shirt on Amazon. It looks like a good material and by getting a size bigger than your regular size it should fit loosely.

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-Hanes-Ladies-Sleeve-T-Shirt/dp/B0012FR4AQ/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1210025366&sr=1-13

Though I technically haven't got it yet, I just ordered it on Saturday, but I will post pictures when I get it.

It also has a nice price tag. Kind of nice knowing you can spend a bit more on a good L wig. (if used)

It was really one of the only good shirts I seen without the ribbed cuffs around the wrists.

Ooh thanks for the link. How long did it say shipping would take? I'd like to try and throw this cosplay together before Acen, which is next weekend! : O I will just have to use my own hair though which isn't really long enough *sigh*

That's my concern too, I wanted a shirt without those cuffs - I hate them!! Please post a pic or two when you get it - I'd like to see it. ^.^

I'm kinda excited for the movie too. I love Kenichi Matsuyama. ^.^

StrawberrySiren
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Alrighty, so I'm definately going as Mario and Rinoa Heartilly to Otakon this year, but I've been debating pulling together an L costume for Day Three.

It's very tempting. I just started watching the anime and it's pretty much consuming my brain at this point xD.

I'm a girl, yes, so there's a bit of an issue, but I'm very tall and relatively shapeless, so guy's jeans and a baggy shirt should cover that. It's the wig I'm worried about, because my hair needs to be long for Rinoa and I can't cut it (besides, it's not the right color).

I'm just going to get a short wig off the internet that's about chin length, but I can't flat iron it. Any suggestions for how to create the spike effect would be very very helpful.

=3?

definately you should check out a cosplayer named behindinfinity on deviant art. she made a wonderful tutorial on spiking hair. it's specifically for sasuke but it includes very general styling tips.

jennarose
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Ooh thanks for the link. How long did it say shipping would take? I'd like to try and throw this cosplay together before Acen, which is next weekend! : O I will just have to use my own hair though which isn't really long enough *sigh*

That's my concern too, I wanted a shirt without those cuffs - I hate them!! Please post a pic or two when you get it - I'd like to see it. ^.^

I'm kinda excited for the movie too. I love Kenichi Matsuyama. ^.^

Your welcome! ^_^

Shipping is 2-3 business days standerd, and it says it will arrive between May 9-May 14 from when I ordered it, but I'm sure you can get the express and it will arrive most likely before.

Hehe your not alone on the cuff things, and I sure will do so. ^_^

The Commodore
05-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Well my L cosplay is all put together for ACen, except for the wig, I'll have that for Youmacon in the fall though.

L! (http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1516355/)

Mail Jeevas DF
05-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Yay!
... this is my first post ever...

Well I cosplay Matt!
<3
And I was hoping to get a bit of help.
-^^-
I was wondering, if anybody made the vest themselves if they could help me out with the kind of material they used. I'm really not all that into sewing but if I must, lol, I just don't have money to spend on buying one from a site. :/</3
Also... and I know this is the dominating question amoung Matt's (lol) but can any one help me out with finding a striped shirt, I'd actaully like both colors, so it really doesn't matter whether it's black and red or white, I just need one! :o
:]
Also, I've got some goggles picked out, I was wondering what others thought, the only really bad thin is they aren't orange. :'[
The Yellow Ones. (http://www.findcoolclothes.com/01381.html)
:/ I dunno.
Anywho, any help would be great!!!!!
-huggles-

HyperShadow
05-16-2008, 07:01 PM
^ Although I had my vest commissioned, if it helps you, the material that it's made out of is micro suede. =3 The material is thin, but nice and soft and looks very nice.

Mail Jeevas DF
05-16-2008, 09:10 PM
^ Although I had my vest commissioned, if it helps you, the material that it's made out of is micro suede. =3 The material is thin, but nice and soft and looks very nice.

That helps very much!!
:D<3
Thanks!

Also, I've found a couple of places for other Matt cosplayers to check out:
Shirts (http://www.angryyoungandpoor.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=346&idproduct=76125).
and...
Goggles (http://www.biker-goggles.com/trek.htm).

Sorry these are just for Matt cosplays. ^^; But I'm happy to help find other things too!
:chatah:

Art is a BANG
05-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I love cospllaying misa but the strange thing is I keep atracting punks its creepy especially when the hot topic woker asked me if i wanted a free peirceing they never treated me like that when I dont cosplay I love her hair style not in the Anime in the movie has any one else cosplayed misa and got special atention from hot topic workers

Cerisa
05-16-2008, 11:03 PM
As yet another Matt cosplayer, I'd say the striped longsleevers from Slash N' Burn are pretty good, though most of them are out of stock now, including both a red-and-black striped one and a white-and-black one by Tripp.

They still seem to have the Dogpile red-and-black in stock, though it's pricier than the Tripp one:
Red and black (http://www.findcoolclothes.com/01645.html)

If you've got a Jo-Ann's around your area, I'd suggest the camel-colored fleece (or brown, if you want to go darker *like DS Matt*) as a fabric possibility. There's also fake fur there, and as an alternative, there's also fur fleece to use for the trim.

Yellow lensed-goggles can work just as fine as orange-lensed ones, as Matt's goggles appear to have yellow or orangish lenses depending on the lighting. I think the yellow/orange lenses is one of the almost-universal color-scheme things for Matt, along with the tan (or brown) vest with white trim.

Random but related note: There's also another way to do those odd jeans of his, other than the cut-and-resew or pinch/fold-and-sew methods: Buy elastic, and mark the inside of the jeans where you want to sew it in, and then sew the band of elastic in. The effect produced might not be exactly the same, but it provides a similar folded/ribbed effect (you can fold the spots with elastic further while wearing the jeans to make the 'folds' more visible).

Mail Jeevas DF
05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
As yet another Matt cosplayer, I'd say the striped longsleevers from Slash N' Burn are pretty good, though most of them are out of stock now, including both a red-and-black striped one and a white-and-black one by Tripp.

They still seem to have the Dogpile red-and-black in stock, though it's pricier than the Tripp one:
Red and black (http://www.findcoolclothes.com/01645.html)

If you've got a Jo-Ann's around your area, I'd suggest the camel-colored fleece (or brown, if you want to go darker *like DS Matt*) as a fabric possibility. There's also fake fur there, and as an alternative, there's also fur fleece to use for the trim.

Yellow lensed-goggles can work just as fine as orange-lensed ones, as Matt's goggles appear to have yellow or orangish lenses depending on the lighting. I think the yellow/orange lenses is one of the almost-universal color-scheme things for Matt, along with the tan (or brown) vest with white trim.

Random but related note: There's also another way to do those odd jeans of his, other than the cut-and-resew or pinch/fold-and-sew methods: Buy elastic, and mark the inside of the jeans where you want to sew it in, and then sew the band of elastic in. The effect produced might not be exactly the same, but it provides a similar folded/ribbed effect (you can fold the spots with elastic further while wearing the jeans to make the 'folds' more visible).

Thanks so much for all of the great tips!
I do have a Joann's, so I'll check them for the material!

Ahaha, and your right, orange and yellow are practically the same, but orange is, like, my favorite color. ^^;
:reverse:
Thanks again!!

kenshin-chan64
05-18-2008, 03:04 AM
i just got my goggles for my matt cosplay from the slash 'n burn site. they are really cool, but i went with the metal grey and smoke lense, i liked those better. personaly, i think that seeing people's eyes so easily through the yellow lense is not the same, matt's mysteriousness is gone when you can see a persons eyes/soul/emotions. besides, my vest and some other parts of my costume are slighly darker than usual so the darker metal color works better for me

just be aware of goggle lines before you take them of for any pictures if you do! (the crease in your face from them)

Kaits
05-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Finally got a wig for L. And got some photos! http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1523536/

My brother hasn't given me the photo of me on the little toy truck yet though. :P

Shelke
05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
im cosplaying misa soon, I'm hoping to do the artwork of her with the blades.

...depending on how much they are going to cost me

Cerisa
05-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Okay, I've got my own DN-cosplay related question now, due to a mishap: Is there any kind of fixative or way to make eyelets STAY in pants?

I finally found a good pair of pants to alter into Mello's, only for the eyelets to turn out crooked (hopefully not too noticeable), and for them to already be FALLING OUT. It turns out this pleather pair doesn't take eyelets too well, or something of that sort. I had successfully altered a pair before, but despite being a 'size 3', they sagged and were too baggy for me, hence the need to get another pair.

Have any other Mello cosplayers had this problem, and is there any way to remedy it?

A related Mello tidbit: I found that sticking velcro on to part of the belt, then sticking velcro to the back of the wallet chain buckle to attach it, works pretty well. I had made the buckle out of Sculpey (it was a LOT of frustration) after two previous failed attempts at it with FIMO and Model Magic, along with a 'clip' to glue to the back of it and to loop on to the belt. Unfortunately, said clip broke, though velcro has proven to be handy. I've seen cosplayers not do the chain buckle out of convenience, but I wanted to attempt it. So for those wondering of a possible way to attach theirs, there you go ;^_^. Just make sure the velcro matches the belt color (white or black depending on which reference picture you're using).

SanaK
05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
im cosplaying misa soon, I'm hoping to do the artwork of her with the blades.

...depending on how much they are going to cost me

I'm doing the same exact thing..

How much luck have you had so far getting the stuff together?
It's actually so much easier than it looks. Most of the things can be found in stores. I don't know about you, but I just have to go to the city and I can find a lot of the stuff that isn't too particular. So I already have most of it. It's those blades, though. It's kind of a little bit complicated of a design. o.o

Art is a BANG
05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Any tips on cosplaying misa i'm going to cosplay her in a few days at school she looks some what normal so thats why i decided on her also my friend is cosplaying light's shimmigami(I am so sure i did not spell that right)So I need some ideas on that to she's new and i dont know how to put together a shimmigami out fit

Leonhart42
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
Hello all.

Myself and my friends have been slowly building a Death Note group out of Northwest Florida, with myself as Raito and L, my girlfriend as Misa-Misa, and my friend Winston as Near and the incredibly undercosplayed Matsuda!

I used to joke that you couldn't throw a rock blindfolded at a con without hitting someone cosplaying Naruto, but I believe nowadays that rock would bounce back and hit three L's on the way down.

Still, I'm happy to have perfected gluing my hair as Ryuuzaki, so that I don't have to resort to using a wig, something I've always been against.

Later, Death Noters!

Art is a BANG
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
what is your girlfriend doing for misa misa i need tips and only have till this thursday to get them what kind of shirt is she wearing I think im wearing a plain black tee but i dont know if it looks like misa

SnickerzAnime
05-24-2008, 07:21 PM
L rules! ^.^
All you need is a pair of men's jeans, a white shirt, and as for the wig color, just do whatever is most convenient for you. Also (if you want to get extreme), maybe you could walk around in a hunchback postition, sit the way L does, hold a cellphone the way he does, hold your thumb to your lips at random times, and fall over and have a spazzy panic attack whenever you hear the word "shinigami"!
XD

phantomthief
05-25-2008, 03:08 PM
So the Deathnote episode that just aired on Adult Swim... I read through the entire manga last summer and I really like Mikami, but his anime version is... Amazing.

There's no way I can NOT cosplay this guy. Time to find red contacts and a light-up pen... Sakujo time.

Any wig suggestions?

~Ari

Kairi.nin
05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
So the Deathnote episode that just aired on Adult Swim... I read through the entire manga last summer and I really like Mikami, but his anime version is... Amazing.

There's no way I can NOT cosplay this guy. Time to find red contacts and a light-up pen... Sakujo time.

Any wig suggestions?

~Ari

Scruffy in black, maybe? That's what I've seen suggested before.

Sarranduin
05-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Scruffy is really short! Mikami's hair is pretty long... I'd go for something else, but what, I don't know. =/

I do know where to get red contacts for cheap, though.... :)

Art is a BANG
05-26-2008, 03:55 PM
hey death noters does any one have tips for a misa costume im in a hurry (needs to be done by thursday)

navigated
05-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Any wig suggestions?

~Ari
I think with a razor comb and some hairspray these wigs ( [1] (http://amphigory.com/wigs_fae.html) [2] (http://amphigory.com/wigs_fy_beauty_flash.html) [3] (http://amphigory.com/wigs_flaunt_jagged_edge.html) ) might work out pretty well. The only concern I have really is the bangs might be too short.

Also I haven't heard Mikami's dub voice yet, but you've inspired me to do so. Also, win for cosplaying Mikami.

StrawberrySiren
05-26-2008, 06:59 PM
i vote numero dos!

Sarranduin
05-27-2008, 12:15 PM
hey death noters does any one have tips for a misa costume im in a hurry (needs to be done by thursday)

This-
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2740/misaref2no4.png

Only hard part is finding the tie and socks.

StrawberrySiren
05-27-2008, 07:17 PM
socks from hot topic. easy.

Art is a BANG
05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
I have socks got them from hot topic

phantomthief
05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the wig suggestions :3 He has those weird swoopy bangs so I might just cut them in myself if need be.

Sarranduin: O RLY? Which brand? :D I'm looking at the Create Eyewear blood reds since they're freakishly bright, but I'm open to options!

~Ari

GrotesquePrince
06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Its been a week or so, but hopefully someone will still read this to help me out?

I want to cosplay near o so very badly... his outfit and makeup is easy enough, but i dont have ay idea of what to do for his ig. The only time ive seen it discussed was someone saying that 'scruffy' from cosworx was good, but that seems to be sold out.

so if anyone knows of a place i can find a decent Near wig (since i dont trust only my own instinctswhen it comes to ebay and at leastwould prefer to be recomended towards one of their wigs) if love to hear it!!

(begs)

Arete
06-13-2008, 12:44 AM
@ phantomthief: Oh yay, fellow Mikami cosplayer. <3 Finding a wig wouldn't be a problem for me, since I naturally have "Mikami hair," but I'll try and help. It's about shoulder length and layered, and his bangs should sweep to your right. Gosh, I'm probably too late though. D:

Anyone know where I can get red contacts?

@ GrotesquePrince: Here (http://www.cosplaymagic.com/denonenariwi.html)'s a Near wig, it doesn't look too Near-ish from the pictures, but maybe you can style it yourself...?

Seriously though, I'm just curious: has anyone cosplayed Takada before? :/

QueenToast
06-13-2008, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=HuongStar;1346619]Has anyone ever cosplayed as one of the shinigami? Or if you have any pictures of other cosplayers that made any of the shinigami, please post them here. :)[QUOTE]

I'm planning on cosplaying Ryuk sometime next year. :eek: It's going to be REALLY hard considering my skills, but I'm still going to try.

I've been working on Ryuk myself. It's HARD. But if you're willing to put the time into it it is very rewarding. I have most of the accessories done and I'll have the pants finished by this weekend. You can go here to see the progress pics and you can pick my brain anytime if you like what you see.

Here's the link

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/101624/

Kisa Tsuki
06-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Any suguestions on where I could find a pair of boot's and gloves like Matt's? This is my next DN cosplay and it's a tad bit harder than Lights, which was my previous one. Every time I go into a store I am looking for boots but none seem to look right and none of them are high enough. And I guess it is the wrong season to be looking for gloves... *le sigh* And thanks for the suguestion about the Jacket. i shall go goodwill hunting now~

darkmishtive
06-14-2008, 02:54 PM
i did l it was kindof easy but i had to keep reminding my self to have y head downish

Hyuuga Tenten
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Any suguestions on where I could find a pair of boot's and gloves like Matt's? This is my next DN cosplay and it's a tad bit harder than Lights, which was my previous one. Every time I go into a store I am looking for boots but none seem to look right and none of them are high enough. And I guess it is the wrong season to be looking for gloves... *le sigh* And thanks for the suguestion about the Jacket. i shall go goodwill hunting now~

My sister made Matt a while back and she found her boots at a Hot topic I do believe. And for the gloves I would try looking at an Iron Pony. Yes it's a Harely shop but I think they might have some gloves that look bulky and Matt-like.

blackcat523
06-14-2008, 08:44 PM
ok, I'm having an issue. I'm doing L *as a favor for friends who want to do a death note cosplay*

Is the part in his hair on the left, or the right. I've seen it both ways in ref pictures and I want to know what is right.

Rin Kitsune
06-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Ok, sorry if this has already been asked or anything like that...But has anyone ever cosplayed as Gelus?

Sarranduin
06-16-2008, 08:12 AM
ok, I'm having an issue. I'm doing L *as a favor for friends who want to do a death note cosplay*

Is the part in his hair on the left, or the right. I've seen it both ways in ref pictures and I want to know what is right.

From the front, it's "parted" on his right. From the back it looks like his left.

...maybe he got his head stuck in a toilet? :untrust:

Go with the right.

IzumiContraband
06-16-2008, 08:53 AM
[QUOTE=WilwarinAndamar;2401951][QUOTE=HuongStar;1346619]Has anyone ever cosplayed as one of the shinigami? Or if you have any pictures of other cosplayers that made any of the shinigami, please post them here. :)

I've been working on Ryuk myself. It's HARD. But if you're willing to put the time into it it is very rewarding. I have most of the accessories done and I'll have the pants finished by this weekend. You can go here to see the progress pics and you can pick my brain anytime if you like what you see.

Here's the link

http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/101624/

I made Ryuk too! However, my costume is not nearly as detail-oriented. I'm most proud of the "top" that I made (feathery whatsits and all) and the "pants" (which have shoes GLUED INTO THEM for seamless feet). I'm definitely lacking in the accessories department...wish I had seen your progress pics and known the right way to go about doing the belt buckle, etc. I basically sculpted it freehand with some fimo clay...probably not the right way to do things. It didn't turn out awful, though, considering my inexperience with those sorts of things.

I might remake this costume in the future...better accessories, better makeup (didn't put a lot of thought into that...and for good reason. I was having a rough day at that convention and kept crying off my face. Long, long, long story), the whole shebang. So anything anyone might want to contribute about that sort of costume is welcome...

My contribution: check out the "swim and dancewear knits" section of your local JoAnn for fabrics (neat stuff in there...especially if you've got a coupon); cheap shoes and a high-heat glue gun make cool feet; furniture vinyl makes a decent belt in a pinch and is readily available among the remnants; and finally, practice posing before you leave home so you don't look lame like me. ; )

zenchu18
06-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Indeed i'm cosplaying as L too, i have a sample one so i can take it to my college to show my mates this is my sample cosplay, i call it "Cossample" ^^, i'm nearly complete the original, just need my hair dyed and shadow under my eyes and L is born lol

Narukyuu
06-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Hey, so I might be going to Metrocon this year (my first Con) If I can find a ride. If not, I'll have to wait for the one in Orlando, but that's not until August.

Anyway, If I do go to either Con, I'll be going as L or BB. I think I'll get noticed easier if I go with BB, because I'll have to spatter fake blood all over myself, but yeah.
I don't really have the money to get a wig at this point, but I'm getting my hair cut soon, I'll cut it short then.
I've seen a bunch of videos on Youtube on how to style the hair, so if you need help, check the videos.

Aaand... I think that's it.

Honda Katsuya
07-03-2008, 03:16 AM
Has anyone needed to use a wig for Light? I'm a girl and my hair tends to part in the middle, so I was thinking of using a wig to give my hair more body and better style, but I'd like your opinions on the matter. Also, do you have any suggestions for a button-down white shirt that *doesn't* show flesh color underneath very easily? I've noticed many dress shirts are very...see-through.

Also...

My roommate is going as L. For the eyeliner, should she use regular girly makeup or black sports-style eyeliner (like football players wear I assume) ?

Resinator
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Re-posting this~

Hello, I'm planning on cosplaying as Near.

I'm almost sure I can get his white clothing [Somewhere.], and the wig, but I was thinking I should bring props of some sort..

Does anyone have a photo reference on their computers for his little finger puppets, and also what else should I try to bring with me? This is my first cosplaying experience and I want it to go well.

Also would it be recommended to add eyeliner somewhat like L, seeing Near has that shadowy effect?

rachey vengence
07-06-2008, 02:13 PM

Here you go =D

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z187/xtremellamahunter/normal_img20060522.jpg

Gackt_Girl
07-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Re-posting this~

I don't have any screenshots of his fingerpuppets, but this might help.
http://main.deathgod.org/near-toys/

I wouldn't do much eyeliner for Near..In my opinion he just has standard anime outlines for his eyes. I say either try adding mascara only to see how it brings out your eyes, or draw a thin line of eyeliner on your lower eyelid, above your lower lashes.

Gackt_Girl
07-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Has anyone needed to use a wig for Light? I'm a girl and my hair tends to part in the middle, so I was thinking of using a wig to give my hair more body and better style, but I'd like your opinions on the matter. Also, do you have any suggestions for a button-down white shirt that *doesn't* show flesh color underneath very easily? I've noticed many dress shirts are very...see-through.

Also...

My roommate is going as L. For the eyeliner, should she use regular girly makeup or black sports-style eyeliner (like football players wear I assume) ?
Probably could have quoted you in my post to the little Near, but ah well. My boyfriend used a wig for Light, and it looks great imo. ^^ It was Fashion 101 from Amphigory, but I don't remember the color name. I can look it up if you like. For the button down issue, go for a guy's shirt if you have girls. Society likes girls to have extemely thin shirts..I don't why seeing bra straps is a good thing but whatever. You could also get a white undershirt. If you like, I can give you a link to my photobucket so you can see how his Light wig works.

For L, please please PLEASE don't use football eyeliner! :bigcry: I've seen WAY too many Ls look like they used a sharpie on their eyes.... L has insomnia rings, not emo boy band rings. I actually suggest against eyeliner, and say get a smokey black eyeshadow and very faintly apply it on the natural bags of her eyelids. then smudge the outsides to blend it in with her skin. it makes it look much more natural, and less like "OMGGAARA".:bigtu: It's how I do my own L makeup and I'm pretty proud of it.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zf3h3s&s=3

(ha and this was me trying to puppy eye Misa into buying a detective kit for me....I really wanted it. :bigcry: She bought me chocolate filled panda crackers though )

Iridescent_Fall
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM

When I went as L to Anime North, this tutorial helped a lot:

http://endofforever.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-L-s-Eyes-83510936

An L cosplay is much more effective when the eye bags look more realistic in my opinion.

Edit: I agree 100% with Gackt Girl's method.

Kasy_C.
07-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Re-posting this~

finger puppet pics:
L, Mello, Near- http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/deathnote/37/deathnote3712LG.jpg
and http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/deathnote/37/deathnote3713LG.jpg

Kira (getting sqished)- http://www.designchronicle.com/memento/images/deathnote/37/deathnote3718LG.jpg

There are a lot of good pictures of them in How to Read 13, but I couldn't find any scans. Here's the set I made: http://kasandra-callalily.deviantart.com/art/Death-Note-Finger-Puppets-79484652

The finger puppets are by far my favorite out of his toys, but he also has a lot of simpler things like dice, lego people, mechs, etc. I even managed to find a blank puzzle to play with!

As for the eye makeup, I just did a thin outline with eyeliner. It makes your eyes look bigger and stand out.

Emiri-Chan
07-09-2008, 08:52 AM
At Otakon 2008 I'll be going as Light Yagami and my friend will be going as black haired Misa. I have most things ready for my cosplay but the only thing im worried about is that last hallowen i bought a long curly brown/orange wig for $2 on sale. I've cut it real short and i've tried my best to make it look like Light's hair. The only thing im worried about is that it still curls a litte, does anyone know how to make it straight?

Hyuuga Tenten
07-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Emiri-Chan: If I remember right you could pour hot water on the wig and it should straighten it. I would search the wig/hair forum for the tempature it should be. I forget >.<

Gackt_Girl
07-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Emiri: I may be a psycho for suggesting this, but depending on the type of hair it's made from, the lowest setting humanly possible on a flat iron may straighten it..My L wig was Kanekalon, and I used my straightener to hold it's place after putting hairspray on it. I say take a curly lock of your wig (cut it off if you can afford to without it looking bad) and see what a straightener does to it...if it melts I'm sorry. ^^; Just throwing an idea out. I've never tried the hot water method.

Padde1337
07-16-2008, 05:09 AM
Im Cosplaying L and I was wondering what I could use to make my face pale.

Gackt_Girl
07-17-2008, 12:26 AM
a lighter makeup foundation is probably your best bet. you'll need something not too drastic from your natural skin or you'll look odd..
Also, if you're fairly tan (assuming the pic in your avatar is you) you could always pull of Kenichi Matsuyama's L. ^^ I don't think anyone will tear you down for not being pale enough. being too pale can be fixed but there's not much you can do to lighten your skin. I wish there was though.

Padde1337
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Im just in a contest with 2 of my friends, were gonna have a contest on who looks like the better L and the winner gets to be L at the next con....one of the losers has to be misa :D

StrawberrySiren
07-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Im just in a contest with 2 of my friends, were gonna have a contest on who looks like the better L and the winner gets to be L at the next con....one of the losers has to be misa :D

lol well good luck! hope you win! unless you like to crossplay...teehee!

[S]
07-18-2008, 04:51 AM
I used lighter foundation for my L/BB cosplays and they turned out fine so yea what Gackt_Girl said. Just find a foundation that matches your natural tone then buy one about 2 or 3 shades lighter. If deviate too far and go full out white it does look odd, I learned that the first time I did L.

If it helps, when you get your picture taken try being positioned close to a window it can make you seem even paler without necessarily looking odd.

Gackt_Girl
07-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I must say that's quite the punishment XD good luck!!