PDA

View Full Version : Sequels?

Kia
01-30-2003, 05:48 AM
I've only been to a few conventions and therefore only a few masquerades so I was wondering, do continuation skits work? Generally speaking, of course. What I mean is, does it work when one year a group does a skit and then the next year they continue it, like a 'part 2' or a sequel?

BlackDelo
01-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Well....I wouldn't say mine is a continuation. I did a Trigun skit last year and i plan on doing another this year for Fanime Con. I wouldn't call it a sequel per se.

Celine
01-30-2003, 01:07 PM
I doubt that something like that would work very well. The audience changes drastically each year at the convention, so if you made lots of references to your first skit, many people wouldn't get them, and isolating the audience is a bad idea. Also, if both of your skits are similar enough, or use the same gags, some people who had seen the first one might not be as impressed the second time. It's better than just re-using a skit, though.

sailor-moon
01-30-2003, 02:28 PM
at cons i always do a moonie thing, but never a continuation^^hmmmm you could make a skit, then at another con, change the characters aroundand do another one. ug, im confusing^^

Alice
01-30-2003, 02:36 PM
You CAN do it, but i don't think you SHOULD. Because 1/2 of the people that go to Katsucon probably will not attand Otakon (for continuation) and the people that have been there for the first one, might not show up for the second one. SO it would be confusing.

Kia
02-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks for al the input! With a 'sequal' I never intend for it to be completely based on the pervious skit. I kind of like the idea of the humorous narrator introducing the skit as "And in our last episode" or "Last time on..." but I completely understand why they wouldn't work as well, which is why I turned the question over to you, my adoring public. :D
If anyone else has anything to add the topic is all yours to run with..just not someplace too far...like Outer Slubovia. Ya'know?

Xanthix
02-12-2003, 03:15 PM
My opinion would be that it'd be fine to make a sequel skit, but it should also be able to stand on its own for new people. Assume that lots of people weren't there last year, and that 90% of the rest have forgotton about last year's skits in the bustle of con preparation. ^_^

The "In our last episode" idea sounds like it could work, and running gags are great as long as they are actually gags and not just references to things that were funny last year.

There are some skits where direct sequels could work, but there are typically only one or two of these a year. For example, I bet everyone who was at ACEN 2002 will always remember Mecha King Ghidra singing Bohemian Rhapsody, and it's hard to forget two Iron Chefs dueling with 6-foot Pocky sticks. But I bet people had forgotton our skit the next day. ^_^

So, go with your gut instinct, but typically, the funnier and more stand-alone your skit is, the better.

Rosiel
02-12-2003, 03:21 PM
> it's hard to forget two Iron Chefs dueling with 6-foot Pocky sticks

With the sleep most of us get at cons, nothing is impossible. ^__^ I don't even remember most of the skits at Ohayocon this year (a month ago), and if you ask me about last year's all I remember is Yaya dancing in a frilly red dress with wings.

Do not underestimate the attention span of the average congoer. ^___^ We might remember "oh there was a skit from such-and-such anime" but remembering what the skit was about is stretching it.

TsukiGuujin
02-12-2003, 03:56 PM
>>We might remember "oh there was a skit from such-and-such anime" but remembering what the skit was about is stretching it.

I know how that goes...I'm remembered from NDK as the "girl who sang a song" in the cosplay. No one knows who I was or what song, but I'm the only person who sang!

I remember that the people who won were funny and made fun of American dubs. What did they do? No damned clue. XD

~~Tsuki Guujin~~

TheAnarCHris
03-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Ah yes Sequels...well seeing how I'm doing the second sequel to my FFU series this year at BaaF, I suppose it depends on how you work it. I've managed to keep the series BaaF/AXNY exclusive so ppl from the NY area do managee to remember some of the inside jokes (we also have a small following, yay for us), but yeah if ur gonna do a sequel, try to keep the references to the first skit as miniumal as possible. We went overboard last year at AXNY (not to mention a whole slew of other problems as well) and the skit bombed.

Ranma Saotome
03-17-2003, 11:51 AM
Well I did a pocky skit at Anime NEXT and I'm doing an sorta sequel at Anime Boston. But the plot will be the same, but different characters. I guees you can say it's a continuation.