PDA

View Full Version : Slide Film Suggestions

dmk26
09-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi all
I'm getting ready to do an outdoor shoot, but just for the heck of it, I wanted
to try and get some pictures on slides in addition to digital pictures. I've never used slides before and was wondering if any one has suggestions on what slide film to use.

Efecss
09-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Okay, this is going back a bit. But when I was taking classes, my instructor said that most professionals used asa64 kodachrome. It has a tight grain, and color is very good. I have used it before, and I loved the way it came out. But, it is not good unless you have good to great lighting. OUtside is perfect.

But, for your catch-all use, kodachrome at 400 asa is your best bet.

But, I would say, mix them, and see what happens.

Elemental
09-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I wouldn't really bother with slides much as, unless you already have a projector and carousel, they're outdated. Kodak discontinued their carousels in 2004, and finding one now means searching second hand shops, ebay, and fle markets.

This means finding slide film can be difficult and means you're looking in a photography store, not wallmart. Slide processing also is normally one outside most establishments, so expect to wait about two weeks for the slides themselves, as they use the E6 developer, and 35mm film uses the C41.

Slides DO have higher tonal range- though they're harder to shoot and not under/over expose.

I'm not postive that it's still on the market, but Fuji's Astia is one of the better brands, and from what I've been told use 200, as 400 can have some pretty bad grain issues.

didjiman
09-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Provia 100F - slightly saturated. Amazing grain (nee: just about none). Provia 400F is just a tad more grainy if you need the speed. I shot ~200+ rolls of them.

Astia 100F is good - excellent skin tones. Just about as neutral as you can get. You will never look at your Canon skin color the same again :-) However, it does not have the dynamic range as Provia.

Generally, slides have about 5-6 stops of dynamic range, similar to a digital sensor. Print films have slightly more. B&W has ~10 stops!!! You can of course scan slides, which is what I do.

dmk26
09-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I'll probably end up getting something at ISO 100 or less, since I won't need speed and I don't want grain.

phaedrus
09-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Outdated, perhaps, but also superior. If I were shooting professionally, I'd probably be doing slides. And medium format, but that's a different show. Digital is nifty and all, and call me a staid traditionalist, but I still like film better, for all its relative hassle in compared to digital.

Fuji slide film is pretty good eats. I've never done a side-by-side, though I'm sure they're out there, but I've always gotten a good feeling in the cockles of my heart with Provia and Velvia. Kodachrome does give us both nice bright colors AND the greens of summers, so I guess you have to consider that in making your choice.

Celebrimbor
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I do almost all my con photos with 35mm (which is why my gallery is so spare in pictures). They're a huge step above digital.

I was unfortunate enough that my family had (and has) a slide projector. Disregarding how absolutely boring they are to watch...

Serious advice: You can make slides out of ANY 35mm film. There are "specialized" slide films, which in some cases offer better performance. But I'd advise against using ANYTHING 100. It's simply only good for high noon sunlight (my brother and uncle are photo buffs; I've gotten this lecture several times). 200 is ok average, all round conditions for outside; but 200 just always seems to be... lackluster. But for ANYTHING involving indoor shooting you want 400 or 800.

And the real truth behind it all is that 400 is the best film for the vast majority of applications.

Efecss
09-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Reading Phaedrus and Celebrimbor's coments.

I find digital more of a hassel than anything. I have been fussing with my brother's camera. WHile I agree, it digital is good for picture off the cuff. But I see people chaging batteries every half hour to keep their camera going.

I have been taking pictures at conventions for over 20 years. And I don't forsee me changing from film. I can't wait to get me a darkroom.

Joe