PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Rita... x_x

Iwakuralain16
09-21-2005, 11:26 PM
Does anyone think the hurricane will affect the convention in October? It isnt until a month from now, but depending on damages you never know...

rabidfanboy
09-22-2005, 12:10 AM
Here's what the webmaster at the oni-con board had to say:

Honestly Shrin, we can't say at this point. Oni-Con SHOULD still happen, but if we have a majoring catastrophic event ala New Orleans then all bets are off.

That said, I don't see that happening. Houston, especially the area near the hotel, is fairly far away from where Rita is expected to make landfall. The storm should move through quickly and therefore won't be able to dump as much water on downtown as Allison did, keeping the areas near the Astrodome from flooding too terribly.

The Park Plaza has been around for a LONG time, back when buildings were made more solidly, it should still be standing just fine after she blows through.

The hotel would have a month to renovate and clean up if anything were to happen, and I'm sure they'll do all within their power to get it ready for the convention. They really want us there and know they'd loose money if they're unable to fix 'er back up if anything happens to the structure.

Most likely what will happen is that Oni-Con will still take place and the hotel might just smell a little musty from carpet that got wet or something of that nature.

We will, of course, keep everyone informed after the storm in case plans change, but as of right now were still planning on having our scheduled staff meeting on Sunday see how dedicated we are?

Lets just say this as long as the Park Plaza is still standing, were still on for sure. If its not, then well figure out a backup plan. Really not that concerned that well need a plan B, but I don't want to be overly confident either.

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, but they are saying this is the third most intense hurricane on record. Hopefully the city won't take too much damage.

ZakuKitty
09-22-2005, 01:08 AM
As long as Houston does not take the direct hit it should be fine in my opinion. Galveston is the one that needs to worry.

ayn*chan
09-22-2005, 07:19 AM
Agreed. And the Park Plaza Hotel is pretty solid, at worst they might suffer some broken glass but they still have a month to clean that all up before the convention. I wouldn't worry yet. :)

Angel_Rinoa
09-22-2005, 03:27 PM
It all depends on the path of the hurricane, if its a direct hit or if it goes father away from houston. Hopefully it won't hit as hard and damage much, but if it does they may change the date, who knows.

Malicious
09-22-2005, 08:28 PM
eek!!! i hope it doesn't hit houston bad X_x my family's staying here....... how bout any of you guys?

ZakuKitty
09-22-2005, 09:54 PM
Rita is now a category 4 last I heard and it should not be hitting Houston directly...poor Galveston though...>>

Angel_Rinoa
09-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Yeah, they said it's decreasing and turning more northward. I'm probably staying, don't know yet. I feel bad for the Louisana, I think they're going to be hit agian.

SwordsWoman
09-22-2005, 10:30 PM
Rita is now a category 4 last I heard and it should not be hitting Houston directly...poor Galveston though...>>

its now a category 5... thy're going to need more help now.

takura lives near housten.... damn storms >_>

ZakuKitty
09-22-2005, 10:48 PM
It was a category 5 until today. Like an hour or two ago it was a 4. >>

Yeah my parents live in Houston. Thankfully they live on the west side of Houston that isn't supposed to be flooded.

Tenya Muyo
09-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Well, it's dropped down to 4 again, and still turning more towards the east. I'm guessing we'll all have a better picture of where it's going tomorrow morning. At this point in time, i could really care less about whether the con may be postponed or cancelled; I just want everyone to be safe, where ever this thing shoule land! Seriously. Please, mina-san, be careful.

ZakuKitty
09-23-2005, 01:03 AM
Yeah I hope my parents and my friends back in Houston will be alright.

HackerEd
09-23-2005, 10:41 AM
They put my town (pearland) under mandatory evacuation, and still some of my friends are staying. I'm hoping they're ok, we left on wednesday after we realized that we were 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation zone then...Ed is in Tulsa. We had to come this far to get a hotel that would take pets.

Raver-Sakura
09-23-2005, 01:16 PM
I heard Hurricane Rita is MYABE heading towards Louisiana...oh joyus.. T_T

All we can do is hope for the best though guys, Im sure we'll be going to Onicon! :3 dont give up hope! Yeah! xD

Anyways,
I'll look up some stuff and update on how it is from time to time when I can, but all I can tell now is that it is a C-4 and the winds are pretty much slowing down too. *insert random cheering here* Just wish it wont hurt LA too bad..cause I have family there and they are staying.. T_T But if it DOES head towards them they're leaving and Im going to have alloottt of people hogging up my house hold..yay?

Etsu
09-23-2005, 01:55 PM
The lastest news from the Nat'l Hurricane Center is that Rita is currently borderline Category 3 and 4. On it's current course, it will make landfall early Saturday near SW Louisiana and upper Texas coasts.

My parents took me and a friend back home to Southlake (Dallas area). The drive took 20 hours. x_x

ayn*chan
09-23-2005, 02:01 PM
The drive is what kept a LOT of people from evacuating. I'm so scared for the people who are stranded on the side of the road (or on the road, for that matter) when the storm hits.

I'm in Montgomery (a little over 100 miles from Galveston) and there are quite a few people staying here. The college town about 18 miles north of here (Huntsville) is keeping a lot of people who evacuated Galveston. I'm thinking we'll be okay, my only fear is falling trees.

ZakuKitty
09-23-2005, 04:06 PM
The hurricane is slowing down more. Let us hope that it does that somemore before it really hits.

AoKoneko
09-23-2005, 08:16 PM
I live in on the OK TX border. We have already taken in 5 Rita people from Huston. Please make sure all of you get to a safe place. ;_; *is so worried.* If any of you need a place to stay we still have room for 3 more people. *hugz* all of you.
~k~

ayn*chan
09-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Okay, my area suffered practically NO DAMAGE whatsoever from Rita -- we lost our power for a few hours last night but that was it. I have friends in town that said that they didn't even lose their power last night. I don't think anyone has anything to worry about as far as whether or not Oni-con is concerned. :)

Fire Elemental
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
suffered little damage here, and we are a bit north of the astrodome, so i'm a little more hopeful.

ZakuKitty
09-24-2005, 03:24 PM
My dad spoke to me on the internet today. I take that as a sign that nothing truly terrible happened there. My parents live on the west side of Houston. Looks like everything for Houston is not bad at all.

Iwakuralain16
09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
Everything is A OK now. :D I don't know about everyone else, but the family members i had over at my house were ungrateful and rude. >_> It upsets me when people are ungrateful when people help them in a time of need.

....:jjacks:

oh well.

Technoir
09-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I live on the far south side of Houston, in Clear Lake, right on the water. ^^; And all we got was a whole lot of leaves in our yard. Otherwise no damage at all.

Honestly, I think it's safe to say that Oni-con won't be effected by the hurricane in the least. ^^;

Kiyoshi-Kun
09-24-2005, 11:02 PM
I live in southeast Houston, Edgebrook area, and decided on Wednesday mid-day that I wasn't going to evacuate because I wanted to see the hurricane with my own eyes.. XD is that being too selfish? Plus the fact that so many people ran out of gas and overheated in the 100 mile backup of traffic. Not much damage around my area and I didn't flood. That was the last thing I wanted. The power went off for like 2 seconds and stayed on during the storm.. and I dun think I have to visit the grocery store in awhile.. anywho, for some reason I knew I would be ok from the beginning.

Oni-con will go on!!!

Iwakuralain16
09-26-2005, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE=Kiyoshi-Kun]and I dun think I have to visit the grocery store in awhile.. QUOTE]

That is hilarious. :) I dont think anyone that stayed will have to go to the grocery store for awhile... Which isnt a bad thing at all >_>

Princess_Moon
09-26-2005, 03:23 PM
im just glad that u guys are safe.

loserific
09-27-2005, 11:14 AM
I live in Chambers County by the coast and before we knew where it was hitting, they said most of the damage was going to be on us so we prepared for the worst. But now that we are back, I have to say at the place we evacuated to in Livingston had more damage than at my house. We are staying in Crowsby, where we have power, but where I live we have no power at all. So that means no sewing. ><;; All my stuff is in storage as well. But oh well, I am very thankful that we had no damage except for some trees and stuff. I hope everyone is safe too. <333

kyandi-chan
09-27-2005, 11:37 PM
The hurricane did affect my con lineup...i now will only have 2 costumes, instead of my big super 3! :- (

ZakuKitty
09-28-2005, 12:34 AM
Well the site says that the con is still on so cools. I am glad the hurricane did not do too much damage around Houston, more so because my friends and parents were there. :)

ayn*chan
09-30-2005, 01:37 AM
The hurricane did affect my con lineup...i now will only have 2 costumes, instead of my big super 3! :- (

NOT SHINY LUMINOUS??!?!?!?

livengood
09-30-2005, 01:49 AM
It's good to hear that it went fairly well for everybody. Considering I live in So Cal, I don't exactly have Hurricane worries. Though apparently, we had a tsunami warning for the pacific coast. X_x