PDA

View Full Version : gundam cosplay.

arba1est
09-26-2005, 03:23 PM
My friend and I are planning to do some mecha cosplay, and really awesome ones too, we want to go all out, no cardboard box looking stuff.
something along the lines of this:
http://www.fansview.com/2001/otakon/0811h141.jpg
or this
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home2000/S7800688I/cosplay%20gallery%20photos/gundam_body.jpg
or this
http://www.ntu.edu.sg/home2000/S7800688I/cosplay%20gallery%20photos/japan7.jpg
you know something mind blowing. We both have never done mecha before, but we are good with working with materials, and art and all that jazz. So if anyone could point us in the right direction,with like materials, methods, techniques, ect, it would be greatly helpful. Any tips would be really helpful. We both plan to work a year on these costumes. We want to do the RX-77 gun cannon, and the RX-78 Gundam.

thanks

Celebrimbor
09-26-2005, 03:26 PM
HeavyArmsDan knows a great deal about mecha costumes. I haven't seen him on in some time but if you send him a message he might have some advice.

I'll tell you right now though, that panda-girl cosplayers will not magically appear just because you dress up in mecha. It's cosplay, not some weird beer commercial.

misato is hot
09-26-2005, 04:27 PM
yeahooo! anuther rx-78-2 is goona be on the site like me congrats on picking great gundams for your first try (i almost did the guncannon weird)

most people who tell you how to make a gundam costume are goona tell you about stuff like wonderflex and fiberglass and lots a crazy jass that costs money

however i still say go with cardboard its goona be so cheep and there ARE ways to make it look realy good

plus when making a gundam you wanna make the costume as light as possible

misato is hot
09-26-2005, 04:34 PM
oh i forgot to mention techniques and tips and such

ok here are some things to remember

give yourself as much range of movement as you can i made the mistake of not being able to move my arms much with my first gundam so i had to have someone else put on and off my helmet

wear platform shoes of somekind gundam legs are very long and your real foot should stop somewhere along the gundams ankle

try to match praportions as well as you can whal still being abel to fit into the costume lets face it gundams have a weird shape to them

in regards to hands dont make robot hands just wear grey or black gloves it might not look as cool but your goona use your hands so much the wear and tear on robot gloves is emence

always have a helper with you if you and your buddy are both goona be gundams have a third person be your helper someone to help put on and off the costumes to feed you and get you stuff

DRINK WATER!! i cant stress that enoufh most of the time gundam cosplay makes yea sweat so drink lots of water

and lastly test your costume frequintly as your making things put on the entire costume so far just to make shur it all fits and moves the way you want i was so pressd for time when makeing my costume that i never actualy tryd it on till the day before the costume contest i know anuther guy on the site who did the same thing

i guess thats it youl mostlikely learn more as you go along thru trial and error have fun and post progress pics oftin for all of us