PDA

View Full Version : The Mood of NDK 2005

xanderman
09-26-2005, 05:20 PM
The mood at Nan Desu Kan was a bit different this year. I wonder if anyone else had the same sense of it. After pondering this for a while I had the thought that this year felt more rooted than last year. Which is slightly odd considereing that the convention was held in a new location this year. It seemed like the majority of cosplayers were experienced. There was a certain level of calm and confidence that you don't always see in a cosplayer.

What about those of you who attened NDK last year and this, what did you experience?

ashleyohtori
09-26-2005, 05:35 PM
I though the mood changed for the better!

I had soooooo much fun this year with my friends and meeting new people. I though the panels were really interesting this year like Iron Jrock cosplay Return of Bride Make-and Take, and the new the new Symphonic Anime orchestra...(we worked our buts off!) Although there were a lot of other panels that I couldn't make it to I absolutely loved this year. I loved the Anime Music videos although they were getting really long and I was really tired by the last few. I really much say that this was my most favorite NDK out of the four years past.

As for the cosplay, most of the people were experienced because you have many people who have been cosplaying for many many long years. The costumes were freaking awesome this year. A lot of people put a lot of hard work and effort into their costumes and it really shined through in their costumes.

Everything was really fun!

xanderman
09-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Hello ashleyohtori,

Your costume was just increadible. Glad that the cosplay judges also saw that you did such a knock-out job. The symphonic Anime orchestra was really wonderful. You all put in a great performance. That was a fantastic addition to the weekend.

The con was great, just different I suppose. There was less of that "thrill of discovery" energy there. You know, the wide-eyed excietment of people at their first con. I guess I just missed that.

Beverly
09-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I think the age ranges are going up again, too. We get new people every year, which is great, but a lot of us who started going as teens have of course grown and are now in our twenties. ^^ The cosplayers have become a very sophisitcated bunch. ^^

ashleyohtori
09-28-2005, 04:20 PM
Hello ashleyohtori,

Your costume was just increadible. Glad that the cosplay judges also saw that you did such a knock-out job. The symphonic Anime orchestra was really wonderful. You all put in a great performance. That was a fantastic addition to the weekend.

The con was great, just different I suppose. There was less of that "thrill of discovery" energy there. You know, the wide-eyed excietment of people at their first con. I guess I just missed that.

Thanks!

Although, I knew a lot of people who where at NDK for the first time. I think that was the most amount of people I've ever seen at NDK.

Hitomebore
10-01-2005, 09:18 AM
It was great fun last year but this year i thought it seemed like it was even better .Sure it was in a differnt location and there were more people but it sure beated last year

StarGazerLily
10-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Yeah, the location probably had a lot to do with it. There was more room, and MUCH bigger hallways! Like, you could actually get around! And that was awesome.

Lady Neese
10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Not to mention nicer hotel staff. And the fact that this hotel didn't have razor blades and nails on the floor.

Katie

Link_Harkanian
10-17-2005, 08:30 PM
The mood for a lot of the people I know was off, and not a good way. I suppose it's mostly just the "settling into a new hotel" phase.

Shatteredwings6
10-25-2005, 02:54 PM
I felt alittle ackward this year. I do believe I had more fun last year it was great fun just differnt i guess, ofcoarse last year was my first time too

JLAmazonWarrior
10-25-2005, 07:38 PM
I definitely liked the new hotel, more space. It did seem a little awkward this year, but I do not know how to describe it. Hrm, we need to add Piano Squall to the schedule and it would be tons more fun, hehe!

Shatteredwings6
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Piano Squall seems to have a devoted fallowing but since I couldnt make it to kunicon I never got to see him.

JLAmazonWarrior
10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Piano Squall seems to have a devoted fallowing but since I couldnt make it to kunicon I never got to see him.
What we all need to do is to email the NDK people and request him, cuz I'm sure he'd be more than willing to do so! Not only does he have his concert, but it is so much fun to just sit down for a while and listen to him play the piano in the lobby when we have nothing else to do!

sakurachan61123
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
I was honestly really mad about NDk this year. It had a bad mood. The staff was INSANELY rude towards me. I had one staff member pretty much stalking me the entire con and it really made me angry. He punched my badge after telling me I could do something. I guess my costume wasn't appropriate and so I had to wear shorts. So i put some on and he told me I could take off my shorts and shoes for pictures then he punched my badge right after a picture before I could get my shoes or shorts back on. The fact that weapons were banned anlso made me angry. I feel that a lot was taken away from the con and I didn't really like the setting. Yes it was bigger and in a nicer area, but nobody knew where they were going (I know I didn't) and I hated staff. I don't know if I'll be going again if this year is the same.

Totchikun
02-21-2006, 10:38 AM
I agree with you completely on the staff. They were EXTREMELY rude to a lot of the cosplayers. A lot of things were definantly taken away, when you work hard on a cosplay you shouldn't have to ruin it because a bunch of new rules have been made.

Kakashi101
02-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Huh- I didn't even notice the staff was there really. I loved this year- a million times better then last year. Most likely becuase I didn't step on a rusty nail from last years construction nor was a really werid area of rude non-anime fans. =P I did see two stripers walking around 2005 and made me gauk at the fact that I could see their asses and chest more then the cosplay they were really wearing. I guess someone said something becuase they ended up wearing towals around their waists.

I'm guessing the mood at 06 will be much better becuase then everyone will know where to go better this time around. *Shrug* But then again, I loved 05. Very awsome time for me!

Link_Harkanian
02-21-2006, 06:42 PM
There were a lot of people who were new on the staff this last NDK, as well as a lot of guys from the previous years who didn't show up at all. Honestly, It felt like new hotel combined with staff newbies on a power trip really made things feel out of place.

FeyMeggan
02-21-2006, 07:33 PM
I didn't feel that the staff were all that rude, but this was my first NDK so I can't say how it compared to the last years. Overall I thought the mood was fine until Saturday night(I beleive that was it...not sure) when the two individuals Kakashi101 mentioned caused an absolute scene with hotel staff. Compared to the two other cons I did that year NDK was pretty laid back IMO.

Lady Neese
02-22-2006, 05:40 PM
I can understand where you guys are coming from but remember the new rules were put into place for a reason. The new hotel had a policy of no Shirt, no Shoes, no Service. Even though they don't say no pants, I think that's pretty much a given. NDK advertises itself as a family con therefore they try to keep it as clean as possible and that includes costuming. If your wearing little more than lingerae, which some people tried to do Friday night and apparently Saturday too, then yes you're going to have problems. The new weapons policy was due to an incident at another con where a cop mistook a prop for an actual weapon which lead to a gun being pulled and con goers stampeeding threw a hotel. Rather than having to deal with these inconvient situations NDK put into place a new weapons policy. Given that some people are prone to playing with live blades, and have no clue what they're doing, I think the new weapons policy is very good.

Although I have heard a lot of people say that the staff was rude I was running around most of the time so I didn't notice any of the staff acting rude toward cosplayers. I don't count telling a cosplayer to put on the appropriate coverings rude. I do think that what happened to you Sakura was rude and if you happened to get his name I would email Jeremy and Amanda with it.

Overall I had a great time, very busy but great. I guess the new hotel didn't phaze me so much because I was already working starfest there. But that's just my two cents.

JLAmazonWarrior
02-22-2006, 06:19 PM
haha, how can we forget Johnifer as Leon and his "situation" XP....yah, that's probably why they changed the weapons policy XP

Kakashi101
02-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Lol- I would most likely not come back to a Con knowing that a real gun was pulled out! ^^; Scare the living day lights out of me most likely.

...haha, how can we forget Johnifer as Leon and his "situation" XP."

What happened?

JLAmazonWarrior
02-22-2006, 09:42 PM
he brought airsoft guns

Kakashi101
02-22-2006, 10:22 PM
HA! Smart one.

sakurachan61123
05-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I had an issue with staff as I said before and I took it to the main guy and he's fixing it now. He said that he had no problem with my costume so he's trying to figure out what issue the staff had with it. I hope he fixes it because I plan on doing another Kasumi cosplay this year.

I understand the lingerie situation. I saw two girls in the DOA shoot walking around in it. The girl cosplaying Tina was in a lingerie bottom and I almost crapped my pants. At first I was like. THEY KCIKED OUT A TINA COSPLAYER!!!! WTF!?!?!? Then I saw the pictures and was like THEY LET HER IN THE BUILDING?!?!?! I agree on things like family cleanliness but there are sometimes when staff may take that too far and in my opinion it's because they're on a power trip. I will admit that it was my fault that I got in trouble for the shoes thing. I know that at the old hotel they didn't really care so I thought they wouldn't care this year either. That was COMPLETELY my bad. It'll be fixed this year. No worries on that one ^_^

As for the weapons thing. I agree with it and I don't. I really was looking forward to buying another katana this year and got to the dealers room and was like . . . . uuuuhhhhh. Where's the weapon rack? Then I found out that they had a new policy. I don't mind it because I wouldn't appreciate some idiot pulling out his new weapon and whacking me with it, nor would I enjoy a cop pulling a gun out on my happy @$$. Is the peace bonding thing still going on? I think I have a few props this year. They're appropriate. I just need to know where to get them peace bonded so I don't get into trouble. . . .

narutomoto
05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
The peace bonding thing is still going on. I didn't really like the new weapon policy. Just because the staff got all crazy on me when I brought my black katana.... sigh.. Well anyway, Kaa-san, you know where the register desk is? That big long table where you get your pass and stuff? Yeah. You look 90* to the left and take.. oh I dunno... 12-15 steps that way. Once you do, there is a little place where it looks like it was supposed to be a gigantic coat closet. A bunch of staff will be sitting in there and you just get your weapons checked there. Pretty simple yeah?

Anyway... I was really down that they told me the weapon rack was not allowed anymore at NDK. They had some really nice stuff. Looks like I'll have to build my Sasuke sword and Renji sword out of wood... : \

sakurachan61123
05-27-2006, 09:36 PM
I guess you're gonna have to and thanks for letting me know where that is. That was actually one of the first places I stopped by because I wanted to talk that lady who was at that desk about something. So yeah. I know where that is~ Thanks Renji-kun

DarkWolfNite
05-27-2006, 11:16 PM
Now, I need to know, I'm planning on bringing Yuna's Nirvana staff as well as Rinoa's shooting star. Do you think there will be a problem with either of them?

narutomoto
05-27-2006, 11:42 PM
I just remember the rules are:

-no metal or steel swords/blades/pointy things/anything that can pierce the skin

AND

-no real looking guns

So.. your interpretation. xP

Lady Neese
05-30-2006, 01:17 PM
I don't think there would be a problem with either one. Thought you may want to email security with pictures just to be on the safe side.

Katie

narutomoto
05-30-2006, 05:04 PM
No I definitely remember some guy at the weapons check desk who told me that I can't bring either/or to the convention and that if anyone did, they would have to put it in their car or something.... I dunno. But I remember those were the two most specific things they mentioned to me that I couldn't have.... Man, my katana was so cool.... >x (

Curucar
05-30-2006, 05:17 PM
While we're on the topic of security/props, does anybody know the con's and/or hotel's policy on animals? Specifically, a rat? One of my friends wants to go as Tohru from Fruits Basket if she can bring her sweet grey rat (he licks, not bites XD). My initial answer is a no, but double checking would make her happy...

Lady Neese
05-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Sorry maybe I should clarify. I don't think there would be a problem with either of the props that DarkWolfNite wants to bring. But like I said I'd ask security just to be sure. You don't want to spend a bunch of time and money making props that won't be allowed in. That would be sad.

Katie

Lady Neese
05-31-2006, 02:22 PM
My initial reaction would be no as well but I'm reminded of a time at Starfest, which was in the DTC Marriot, someone brought a big, I'm talking big like small adult human size, dog. I'm not sure if the hotel had a problem or not, I'm pretty sure it wasn't a seeing eye dog either. It was in the middle of the night though.

I would head over to the NDK forums and ask the question there. I believe I've seen you on there but here's the url anyway.

http://forum.ndkdenver.org/

Katie

DarkWolfNite
06-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Okay, thanx for the tips. However, I can't send an e-mail with pictures considering neither of the props have even been started on.

Lady Neese
06-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Do you have any reference pictures? If you do I'd send those.

Katie

FilthyWarumono
06-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Urg - the staff at NDK made me sooooo mad 05'. I don't know what it was but most really did seem WAY overly rude and such. I mean, me and my group had just walked down and we get yelled at for not being in a line, which we weren't in since we were WALKING. We got in trouble for wearing overalls, but other's couls wear bikini's and such? Oh my god we're not allowed to sit for five seconds? So so so so SO much more stuff happened.. but they just all seemed really anal and power happy. REALLY power happy.

If NDK chills out this year I think it will be more fun. Less 'OMG RULES RULES RULES'.

<< I'm suddenly reminded about how we were chewed out for wearing pajama pants and socks while asking the front desk for more pillows - obviously on our way for bed. Funny, how the hotel staff didn't seem to mind, nor when I attended Kunicon did they care.

NDK + calming music/chill pills = FUN for MOST. <<;;;;;

Heiwa
06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Sakura, I guess you missed it, but they had a collection can out in the dealers room for the weapons dealer at last year's con because he was caught in Hurricane Katrina. He lost everything in that storm, and I'm sure the last thing on his mind was NDK.

As for costume issues, there are certain levels of propriety that should be met, especially at a family con. If a person can see your underwear, then the costume is not appropriate. If you are a girl wearing coveralls with no shirt, then no, the costume is not appropriate.

Totchikun
06-07-2006, 08:46 AM
But if you obviously cannot see any part of her body it is still inappropriate? I know for a fact that she was completely covered. Yet the girls wearing bras were aloud to run all over the place. I do agree that a lot of the staff were fairly...anal about things. I'm sure it will be better this year...I hope. But Waru is right, I think some of the staff does need to like...cool their power trips for a bit. Everything will be more enjoyable if they do!

Lady Neese
06-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Just because something is obvious from up close doesn't make it obvious from a distance. Even the illusion of nudity at NDK is not permitted, we are a family con. Granted I didn't really get a chance to really see either Waru's group or the 'bra' girls.

Katie

Heiwa
06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
I think that there should be consideration for all people. It's bad that someone was rude to you, but also consider that there are a lot of people to monitor at a convention, especially if we're trying to keep everyone safe and comfortable, so please don't take it personally, or as a sign that there is bias against a particular type of cosplayer. What may seem fine to you, especially in a costume or a behavior, could make someone else uncomfortable.

I guess the bottom line is, if you do something or wear something that would get you yelled at at home, then you probably shouldn't do it at a con.

FilthyWarumono
06-08-2006, 04:47 AM
I like how my r/l nickname has stuck here now too XD! >>

Ramune Marble
06-09-2006, 08:52 AM
I couldn't tell you that. Last year was my first year, and it rocked! My friends and I went around the con being stupid and this year we're trying to get a Kingdom Hearts group together.......we're only doing the first game though....since I can't affored the KH2 Sora.....I'm going to make it....-.-

JL_Toshee
06-09-2006, 10:24 PM
I have only been to 3 NDKs but I actually liked this years a lot better. I befriended some of the staff, and they were really nice to me. So overall, I think it rocked!

ashleyohtori
06-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Just because something is obvious from up close doesn't make it obvious from a distance. Even the illusion of nudity at NDK is not permitted, we are a family con. Granted I didn't really get a chance to really see either Waru's group or the 'bra' girls.

Katie

What was the 'bra' girls????

I don't think I saw anyone really innapropiately dressed except for a few girls and I'm not naming any names. :crest:

Totchikun
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
What was the 'bra' girls????

I don't think I saw anyone really innapropiately dressed except for a few girls and I'm not naming any names. :crest:

They were two girls walking around with like panties, a bra and a mini sized jacket on. There are pictures of them all over the place actually.

FilthyWarumono
06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
They were somebody from DOA I think.. Tina? Yeah.. the white jacket black undergarments one. XD;

ashleyohtori
06-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Oh, ok. Its probably the people who I was thinking of in the first place.

Lady Neese
06-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Ah them, they were actually told to cover up several times by several different staff memebers. I don't know if they're badges were punched or not but I think they were only there Friday night because of what they were doing.

Katie

keikana
06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Ahaaaah I'm just now popping into NDK 2005 threads? Woah, I really AM behind. But I'd like to second the motion that '05 was a much more comfortable year for me. It was the first con of mine to go off without a hitch (yaaay), none of my cosplays fell apart, the new hotel is great (no fountain though, made cosplay meeting places less obvious), and other than the usual stressed staffers shouting at cosplay contestants in line, I didn't have any unpleasant experiences with staff.

And as for the general cosplay restrictions go, I'm totally with Lady Neese. There are limits for everybody's safety and comfort, and it is a family con. This isn't to say that the DOA girls mentioned above were OMGScandalous!!11, but there is a certain level of tastefulness that goes along with a convention, and it's all stated in the official NDK rules, too (along with the weapons policy). At first I was a little peeved with the "no realistic weapons" rule, but it didn't take me long to realize that it's an important one to respect. It just meant an extra walk up to my hotel room to put away my spray-painted squirtgun XB!

Really, the con staff and hotel staff have the final say on what is or isn't allowed, so people should really just try to respect their wishes so that future attendees and hotels will be supportive of our con!