PDA

View Full Version : What Wrong with Cosplay at the Masquerade

Shadowsaber
09-27-2005, 01:58 AM
This past Dragon Con's Masquerade alot of anime or game cosplayer where push off stage by the stome troopers and this make other cosplayer re-thinking about showing up again. most of the mistake where becuse of the missing music or not giving time of pepole to finish.... :hafha:

Hikaruchan
09-27-2005, 03:00 AM
It wasn't just anime groups that were missing audio/music due to tech problems or chased offstage by StormTrooper. DragonCon's masq has had problems for years, and the staff at least at con did not seem open to suggestions for improvement. I rarely enter the main masq due to factors like this - I did this year cause some others wanted to try it out and since I don't take this contest seriously I was ready to retry it.

Just keep in mind if enter that anything that might go wrong probably will - like drunk MCs messing up intros, tech screwing up audio and telling groups to wing it, MCs jumping into acts throwing off timing, etc.

Think I will just stick with other contests like Dawn, as it is run better.

podo_saisana
09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
In addition to Hikaru's comments... I have to add that, although a good ammount of "us" go to Dragoncon, the greater percentage of Dragoncon attendees do not know about various anime, or even various japanese culture references. And in addition to that, I unfortunately know for a fact a good ammount of people go to the Masq just to see what they call the "bad skits", or rather the skits they have no idea what are representing, and heckle them. Not fair, I agree, but thus is the nature of such a large con I supose: To make fun of what they don't understand.

Sarcasm-hime
09-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately the D*C masq policy is to give people way too much time and then shoo them offstage when they inevitably get boring. Audiences have short attention spans, so shorter acts are better. But I also noticed that many of the entries that got shooed were talking onstage, which means that nobody can hear what they're saying - which ruins the presentation and bores the audience. It's a good idea to prerecord dialogue if at all possible.

But yeah, the D*C masquerade was a huge mess. IMHO (as a judge and assistant director of several masquerades), it is REALLY inappropriate for MCs to interact with contestants without being asked to do so, and judges should NEVER interact with contestants. At our masquerades, the MCs are people who know how to MC well, not just random celebrities, the judges are people who know about costumes, and we have strict time limits that are the same for everyone - if you go over the limit, we simply cut the sound and lights. I believe that giving people too much time and then just arbitrarily removing them from stage when you think they're getting boring is a recipe for disaster and tears.

Unfortunately their attitude seems to be that 'as long as the audience is entertained, nothing else matters' so they don't seem to care much about changing the system to be more respectful to the costumers.

Bevandera
09-27-2005, 03:09 PM
-off topic-

I am in love with Sarcasm-hime's avatar.

Aleathia Burns
09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I agree my Kill Bill group leaned the hard way that people can lose your C.D,play the wrong track when you give them another C.D.and the emcee will not read your intro which was very vital to letting the audiacne know what was going on. I will continue to enter the masqurade, but I shall do costume presentation for now on. Or group entries with (hopefully if they don't lose my C.D) music. They also lost my music for my Dawn. But I agree with all of you guys mistakes can happen but some mistakes could have been avoided in this case.

Bevandera
09-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Aleathia, I was sitting pretty far back but my group could tell your group was Kill Bill and every character you were playing even without a proper introduction...just sorry we didn't get to see/hear the whole performance.

Aleathia Burns
09-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Aleathia, I was sitting pretty far back but my group could tell your group was Kill Bill and every character you were playing even without a proper introduction...just sorry we didn't get to see/hear the whole performance.

Thanks next year we will do a costume presentation and you are welcome to join us. For now I plan on doing our skit for another convnetion cuz you guys missed out on the props we had too. Gogo had a giant ball and her skirt comes off in the end revealing boxer shorts.At leawst you guys got a achance to see Elle Driver's 2 patchs over her eyes. I'll P.m you with more info of the skit if you want and myabe you can join us cuz we can use another crazy 88. But fret not my frined we shall once again rise and ruin the reputation of KILL BILL!!!!!

TheWickedOne
10-04-2005, 06:35 AM
never got a chance to tell you, aleathia, how upset for you i was that your group was pushed of sstage by the 501st. me and the rest of the x-men knew we had nothing, so it was came out, let the a$$-holes read, then walk off, and leave brant on stage. so sorry for your unfortunate event...

skarecrow out -

Aleathia Burns
10-04-2005, 09:46 AM
never got a chance to tell you, aleathia, how upset for you i was that your group was pushed of sstage by the 501st. me and the rest of the x-men knew we had nothing, so it was came out, let the a$$-holes read, then walk off, and leave brant on stage. so sorry for your unfortunate event...

skarecrow out -
It's all good you win some then you lose some. I have to get in contact wit you and Brant soon but I am sorry I missed you guys porfomance cuz I was so upset. You guys X-men kicked ass and I really enjoyed picking on Brant backstage trying to have a Gogo vs. Porfessor X thing going on. :p

evenstar1
10-04-2005, 10:52 AM
i was in the skit with hikaru chan. i was just doing it for the fun of it, but what they did to a friend of mine just because she was in a fur suit, and what they tried to do to another friend of mine was just wrong. the stupid lady( for a nicer word) who was in charge of the whole thing had a hentai mind and didn't give them a chance, then she wouldn't listen to us when we asked her about it. i really don't like dragon cons attitude towards certain type cosplayers but i will continue going and not let the a$$holes out there ruin my fun.

mocha
10-04-2005, 11:23 AM
i was in the skit with hikaru chan. i was just doing it for the fun of it, but what they did to a friend of mine just because she was in a fur suit, and what they tried to do to another friend of mine was just wrong. the stupid lady( for a nicer word) who was in charge of the whole thing had a hentai mind and didn't give them a chance, then she wouldn't listen to us when we asked her about it. i really don't like dragon cons attitude towards certain type cosplayers but i will continue going and not let the a$$holes out there ruin my fun.

Yeah, no kidding. I totally agree with you there. It wasn't run very well at all. There were many people who were treated disrespectfully. I will continue to go to Dragon Con, because overall it was fun, but I'm not so sure about the masquerade now..:sulk:

fightstar
10-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I was sitting back in the hotel, with the rest of Cobra, and we couldn't hear a D@MN thing on the TV when a majority of people where on stage. The bad thing was that the few people we could hear we really wish they where not on stage to begin with.

I consider myself a pretty open guy when it comes to this sort of thing. I like going to a place, like a con such as Dragon Con, and seeing new things and being exposed to stuff I normally would not have. Despite the intrest in having a Dragon Con style "Gong Show" with all the technical problems and apparent lack of care by the people who run it I as one question. Why have the Masquerade?

Before you start with the throwing of dangerous objects at me and/or lethal flame wars hear me out. The question has to be ask. Why have the Masquerade? Even to the degree of Why particapate? There are, obviously, pros and cons to support the arguement as to why someone should and should not particapate. I already know some of my reason why I would and also would not. So, what are your reason? Remember, I posted this NOT to criticize, but to get everyone to think about why we do what we do and to see if it is really worth it or not. So what do you think?

mocha
10-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Actually I agree with you, completely. With the all the tech stuff that was going wrong that night, it was unfair to the contestants. -And not only that...it's not the audience that decides who gets cut anymore. Apparently it's based solely on one person. If you ask me, that's completely unfair to allow one person to decide what's entertaining or not. :untrust:

No flames here. As a participant, it seriously makes me consider whether I ever want to enter it again. I will say that it gives me insight though, being a first time contestant. I'll have more of an idea of what to expect the next time. Also I found out several things by talking to a judge afterwards that aren't included on the "rules" page, and they very well should be.

I was left with the conclusion that if you're not already a "fan favorite" and don't have any well...fanboy/fangirl worthy material in your skit. You really don't have much of a chance.:sulk:

Hikaruchan
10-06-2005, 03:47 AM
Out of all the years I have gone to D*C I have only entered the main masq twice. First time I had an outfit that I had put a lot of work into and wanted to be on same stage as MCs (and ended up having my intro massacred by one of them - oh well, I found it amusing plus I got what I wanted out of it - Walter Koenig trying to get my paper from George Takei to read was very funny). This year announced MCs were ones I wanted to be on same stage with (unfortunately they backed out last minute and ended up with don't know who as MCs), so though knew didn't have a chance went on with it for the fun of it. I usually sit D*C masqs out.

kelldar
10-06-2005, 08:51 AM
I've done the masquerade 4 years in a row - I only do it for fun, I never do it to win. It *had* been better run in the past (the others years I've participated seemed a lot smoother) - but as I've said before, the one thing I don't understand is why they don't have craftsmenship judging, considering they are SO MANY great and intricate costumes at Dragoncon.
We were lucky this year - the MCs read our intro just as we wanted it, and didn't jump in or mess it up at all. The MCs were way too unprofessional this year, and made it seem more like a "Gong Show" than ever.

vamphunterx
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
They need to make sure MCs from now on realize how much it messes up peoples skits when they interfere. You think they'd go over things like this with the MCs they pick out beforehand, like give them a list of do's and don'ts.

mocha
10-06-2005, 12:38 PM
They need to make sure MCs from now on realize how much it messes up peoples skits when they interfere. You think they'd go over things like this with the MCs they pick out beforehand, like give them a list of do's and don'ts.

Well apparently "they can't control them" according to the director. If they told the MCs they wouldn't get paid if they violated the rules, I'm guessing there would be a HUGE change in behavior then. Don't you think?

Aleathia Burns
10-06-2005, 02:47 PM
I agree with Kell latley you have to be lucky and hope they read your material and not interfere. So far the staff were understanding and I want to thank them for that for now I am gonna stick with costume presentations.

drachen_katze
10-06-2005, 06:40 PM
This was actually my first year attending the Masquerade, and I found myself getting pretty angry at the people in the audience who took it upon themselves to "gong" (by shouting "Stormtrooper!") a couple of the acts that I really wanted to see played out. I got the vibe that they were the ones who were only there to 'gawk at the silly people in the costumes,' rather than there for enjoyment of the show and the craftsmanship, and I found that somewhat upsetting. :/
So it left me feeling kinda Meh. But it sounds like this is the worst it's been? Maybe it'll be better next year...?
The real place where it's at is the Hall Costume Contest, anyway. ;D

--Cat

vamphunterx
10-06-2005, 08:16 PM
Well apparently "they can't control them" according to the director. If they told the MCs they wouldn't get paid if they violated the rules, I'm guessing there would be a HUGE change in behavior then. Don't you think?

Oh yeah, I think we'd see a huge change in the MCs then.

SnowCalla
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
2005 was the only year I have even watched the Masq. And that cause it was on tv in the bar.

The Hall Contest is waaaayyy better - plus there are now contests in the costuming track that are based on craftsmanship. In fact - you don't wear the costume, it is displayed on a dummie and people can't touch it. They can look when the room is open, though. Only 2 people entered it this year, but there should be more in 2006. I also suggested that they display for one day and let you wear it for the rest (it was on display the entire con)...just not enter it in the Masq.

ShibbyOmittchi
10-29-2005, 12:17 AM
The people at the Masquerade were very rude. Expecially the Director. I was jsut pointing out that it was unfair that the Mcs gave one guy a mic and not others, and that they should appologize to those that they upset, then she went and yelled at me. Next time I will just listen to my friends advice and stay away from things she tells me to stay away from. x.x

TheWickedOne
11-08-2005, 07:23 PM
i'm afraid that the gong show-esque 'stormtrooper'-ings may have been brought on by the antics of my friend j'syn and i from D*C 2004. he just wanted to see stormtroopers, not knowing they would push people off stage, and i was busy yelling at the MC's for being so uninformed. we were both pretty drunk. once again, my appologies.

now, for the most part, the staff of D*C are big enough geeks to where they should know what's going on, but the MC's aren't, they need help sometimes. also, wiall the paperwork we fill out for the masq' everyone should get a copy of the exact same thing, that could help...

Rukia_Kurosaki
12-02-2005, 11:11 PM

I know I may be late in posting on this forum, but I was also in the group with Hikaru. Too many skits were screwed up because it's obvious that the director (who has now been fired because of her trying to blame a little girl for our rebellion, so I've heard) hated anime, games, and manga. I had a helluva lot problems with the Masquerade this year. Everstar knows how mad I got when it happened. The (bleep) director told the head director of the con what happened (a bunch of us got mad and sort of surrounded her) and my dad was fired from staff. Tells me that D*C's staff is officially filling up with a$$holes. The entire convention, itself, is not bad, but....the cons are slowly adding up....

Rukia_Kurosaki
12-02-2005, 11:13 PM
The people at the Masquerade were very rude. Expecially the Director. I was jsut pointing out that it was unfair that the Mcs gave one guy a mic and not others, and that they should appologize to those that they upset, then she went and yelled at me. Next time I will just listen to my friends advice and stay away from things she tells me to stay away from. x.x

Shibby's right. The (bleep)ed director decided to yell at her and call security on us. We nearly were kicked out. It was Evenstar, ShibbyOmittchi, myself, Aleathia Burns, and her group. It's just a bunch of bs...

mocha
12-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Shibby's right. The (bleep)ed director decided to yell at her and call security on us. We nearly were kicked out. It was Evenstar, ShibbyOmittchi, myself, Aleathia Burns, and her group. It's just a bunch of bs...

Shibby, I saw that when it happened! I remember thinking 'what is her problem? She just asked a question!'. o_o Seemed like she was just having a really bad day and taking it out on the contestants. She snapped at us before we were supposed to go on stage for asking a question also.

Kayago, I was in that group with Aleathia and the others. I don't think it would have escalated to that point if she would have just listened to what we had to say, but she literally kept running everytime we tried to talk to her! I think that upset everyone more than we already were. Her calling security was just well...bs like you said. How could she not expect people to be angry about being treated so badly? I can't speak for the others, but I doubt I'll be entering next year. What about you guys?

Rukia_Kurosaki
12-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Shibby, I saw that when it happened! I remember thinking 'what is her problem? She just asked a question!'. o_o Seemed like she was just having a really bad day and taking it out on the contestants. She snapped at us before we were supposed to go on stage for asking a question also.

Kayago, I was in that group with Aleathia and the others. I don't think it would have escalated to that point if she would have just listened to what we had to say, but she literally kept running everytime we tried to talk to her! I think that upset everyone more than we already were. Her calling security was just well...bs like you said. How could she not expect people to be angry about being treated so badly? I can't speak for the others, but I doubt I'll be entering next year. What about you guys?

I may be entering because my bf and a friend of mine are doing a skit. I just dare them to say something. I really do. She won't want to mess with me next year. I mean had it not been for Shibby, Evenstar, and one of the people in your group, I would have been punching that woman until she said sorry. I saw red and that's a very bad thing for me.

Kandascending
12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
I may be a bit late in posting this, but I just felt the need to be devil's advocate. Yes, the masq is run badly. Has been for years. That's why I never enter it, I keep hearing bad things from contestants. I try to warn people off when I can, but that doesn't always work. But you've got to see it from the point of view of the director. A crap load of people enter the Masq every year. And prior to this...it's always been held in the Civic Center downtown. Not in the Hyatt. Think of the hassle and stress from moving from such a large, well equipped space...to the Centennial Ballroom.

The staff of the Masq, bad as they may be, weren't used to operating with such a lack of space. They were doing things on the fly, trying to figure out how best to do it. And yes, the director may have been rude and done some things she shouldn't have. But...she was also really stressed. It's not fair of people to judge her because of that. You try being used to having a certain amount of space and equipment to do something and then have it taken away and see how sociable and nice you are when all these contestants keep asking questions and hounding you, when you're was probably very, very busy.

And then having those contestants surround you? With a few of them obviously angry? Heck, I would've called security too. Spoken or not, what was done to her was a threat. And it wasn't right, and on no level was it called for. Especially if you all entered it in just "fun".

She may have been rude, but then...doesn't it seem like there were quite a few people who were rude right back?

Besides, think of the basic age group that goes to DragonCon. Heck, people under the age of 25 are definately not as common as at Anime Cons. It's a completely different type of convention. It's a convention for all ages but particularly older ones, and do you really think older Scifi fans are gonna want to watch a skit of some show they've never heard of?

The answer is no. Unfortunately, that's the way things are at DragonCon, complaining about it isn't going to solve anything. There are several more costume contests at DragonCon.

The anime track has one, the Tolkien track has one, there's the Hall Costume contest. Heck, almost every track has it's own costume contest.

Maybe if support and attendance for the Masq dropped, they would see the need to change. But as it is...at least a large enough majority of DragonCon attendees enter and go to see the Masq every year. The staff is happy with that. As long as people are entertained, that is all that matters. It's Sunday Night at DragonCon, how many people do you think are sober by that time? Would you rather have a few unhappy contestants, or a lot of unruly drunken audience members?

Sorry to all the people I know who had a bad time at the Masq, but both sides of this just had to be stated. It wasn't really fair to either side what happened.

Hikaruchan
12-14-2005, 07:51 PM
I may be a bit late in posting this, but I just felt the need to be devil's advocate. Yes, the masq is run badly. Has been for years. That's why I never enter it, I keep hearing bad things from contestants. I try to warn people off when I can, but that doesn't always work. But you've got to see it from the point of view of the director. A crap load of people enter the Masq every year. And prior to this...it's always been held in the Civic Center downtown. Not in the Hyatt. Think of the hassle and stress from moving from such a large, well equipped space...to the Centennial Ballroom.

Just a point here, it wasn't til 2003 that the Civic Center was used for the masq. I beleive masq attendance went down in 2003 & 2004 cause a lot of people didn't want to travel the couple blocks to the site. So they brought the masq back into main hotels like it used to be this year.

Kandascending
12-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Ah, wasn't too sure on that part, but the rest of the post still applies. They weren't used to running it in the Centennial. All I was saying, was give the people a bit of the break. Yes, they may be jerks, yes they may be rude. But there was probably a reason for it.

And it certainly didn't warrent some of the hosility I was witness to after the fact.

mocha
12-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Hold on...no matter what was going on, that doesn't justify rudeness on either part. If they were having a bad day or whatever, there is no need to take it out on others, who mind you are paying to be there. Now I'm not saying they have to suck up and cater to people but they should still be shown some degree of courtesy. Do unto others and such. Now I do believe that some of what happened could have been handled in a better way. Things don't always turn out the way you want them to, but if everyone decided to make others pay for their misfortune there would be chaos. You are entitled to your own opinion and I respect it so please don't take this the wrong way. -But it's my opinion that setbacks don't qualify as an excuse for rudeness. There's nothing wrong with asking for help.:walkoff:

Kandascending
12-14-2005, 11:48 PM
That's not what I was saying. Everyone was making it out as if this woman was just being rude and mean because she could. When yes, she probably was having a tough time. She shouldn't have been rude, no. But she was, that was her reaction to stress.

Besides, she may have asked for help, but wasn't able to get it. Sunday was a big day for Security, I know that much, so there wouldn't have been any free help there. Wouldn't have been much free help from anywhere. Sunday night is the busiest night of the con, all the staff is doing what they can.

I wasn't saying that her stress was an excuse for her rudeness, more like it was probably the reason. It was the contestants reactions to her rudeness that was more my focus. The way some people were saying, it was like she mean and rude, as I said before, just because she could, but she was under stress, and that she called security for no reason. But if a bunch of angry people surrounded (Not my term, was used in one of the earlier posts) you, wouldn't you call security too?

All I'm saying, is the contestants weren't blameless either. They should've handled their emotions better. Especially if they all entered it in fun. Stuff happens, but there was absolutely no reason for that. Whether or not it was stated by anyone, surrounding someone is considered a threat. And there was no reason for her to be threatened on the boards either.

In the end, she's the one in control of the Masq, not the contestants. Even if it's annoying and hard to do so, you should so some respect to a woman who gave up a good majority of her time to put this all together. She put much more of her time outside of those four days into it.

It's more mature to turn the other cheek than be rude right back and fight her isn't it?

Hikaruchan
12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I had problems with other staff and things going wrong at the masq I ran this year, but I didn't take it out on the contestants. As staff of an event, you have to be able to still be courteous to people even when you feel like pulling your hair out and screaming. Some people may have been rude to the masq director, but she should have been much more professional when dealing with paying attendees.

Fory-san
12-15-2005, 03:18 PM
Oo; Wow...note to self as I attend next year...don't enter the masquerade. ^^;; lol

Kandascending
12-16-2005, 09:17 PM
And the paying attendees should've been a bit more curteous and in control of themselves than they were too. That was what I was talking about, no matter how rude someone is, threatening them on a forum is just plain immature.

But what can you do? Everyone's human.

Rukia_Kurosaki
12-18-2005, 04:22 AM
And the paying attendees should've been a bit more curteous and in control of themselves than they were too. That was what I was talking about, no matter how rude someone is, threatening them on a forum is just plain immature.

But what can you do? Everyone's human.

I don't mean to sound rude by this, but the woman is like that outside of the con as well. I've been going to Dragon*Con and meetings for staff since 1989. I think I would have realized her personality by now. Yes, I admit that we probably weren't the best people either, but I don't think stress was the complete cause of it. It's too easy of a way out. I know that could be the case, but I agree with both Hikaruchan and Mocha on it. Both sides could have been handled better. Again, I don't mean to sound rude. And I think we should have heeded your warning about entering. It's all in fun though. I'm just entering next year to have a comedy skit. -shrugs- We'll see how it goes.

ShibbyOmittchi
12-18-2005, 04:28 AM
In my eyes both sides were at fault for some degree. No people didn't have to go to the director and complain. Yes things happen and you have to deal with it some times. But the Director did not have to be rude to people that were not even yelling at her. The fight between the contestants and the Director shouldn't have happened, then again maybe we can all learn something from this for the future.

Rukia_Kurosaki
12-18-2005, 04:35 AM
I had problems with other staff and things going wrong at the masq I ran this year, but I didn't take it out on the contestants. As staff of an event, you have to be able to still be courteous to people even when you feel like pulling your hair out and screaming. Some people may have been rude to the masq director, but she should have been much more professional when dealing with paying attendees.

Too many directors are changing and Dragon*Con is going into chaos. It's been that way since Pat Henry took over a few years ago. Maybe next year will be better? We can only hope, right?

Shadowsaber
04-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Hope that this year going to turn out better, I been around Dragon Con so long as Staff and I'ev seen many thing change. So maybe it will be address. it happen that I talk with Kat (she run events for D*C)and she will adress it in 2006.
Yes D*C is a Sicfi first Con. So with that on mind we have to let pepole be open minded about the other Fantasy, Sicfi and Movie. But lets us not be rude to other just becuse you don't know the show they come from or don't understand the costume. Enjoy it after all it is the leargest even in D*C and everyone did took a good long time on the costume just for the enjoyment and just 'Cuz you what to win all the time. After all just stepping on stage is the best award of all.

Saber

DalaiLiam
04-30-2006, 08:30 PM
You have hit the nail on the head people.. the masq sucks. Everything else has been a pretty pleasing experience though, right?

I have a freind who's really hesitant about cosplaying dragoncon because he's heard bad things about how they treat anime cosplayers. I really think this is all due to the masq, because I've never once had a bad enteraction just out on the floor. Aside from the time I decided to heckle some tetris blocks in an anime screening telling them the russian foreign films were down the hall, due to the fact that none of them had no idea tetris was russian in orgin and they gave it back pretty hard. I never thought some guys in spraypainted and duct taped cardboard bozes could make me feel bad about my cosplays.. oh well...

Has anyone else had any problems outside of the Masq?

Darth Takeo
04-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I've never seen anyone mistreated doing anime or anything else at Dragon*Con... I have, however, seen non-anime cosplayers mistreated at anime cons.

Hart
04-30-2006, 11:13 PM
This past Dragon Con's Masquerade alot of anime or game cosplayer where push off stage by the stome troopers and this make other cosplayer re-thinking about showing up again. most of the mistake where becuse of the missing music or not giving time of pepole to finish.... :hafha:

It is this very reason which makes me un easy for my first dragon con...after reading the post ill have to make sure if i decide to go into the masq to make sure everything is set...and hope lady luck is on my side...and there are some nice storm troopers on the side ><

TheWickedOne
05-01-2006, 06:16 AM
It is this very reason which makes me un easy for my first dragon con...after reading the post ill have to make sure if i decide to go into the masq to make sure everything is set...and hope lady luck is on my side...and there are some nice storm troopers on the side ><

think about what you're going to be showing off, if it's remotely anime, then you may want to the new anime costume contest they'll be holding this year. the masquerade is a whole lot of time lost at the convention, especially when the emcees read your intro wrong and it screws your whole performance. you'll have a lot of paper work to fill out before hand, then when the time comes, you'll have to wait for your turn to que up. then you'll be assigned a "den mother" for you and 9 other costume sets, then you'll be staged and continue to wait for the masq to start. you'll be ushered in to take some professional pics(the only sweet part in my opinion) then you'll wait and wait in the staging area for your turn. if your lucky, your will go off without a hitch, and you'll go back to the staging area. you'll have to wait even longer so you can go through the photo gauntlet. it's dark during the masq and flash photography is discouraged during the show, then everyone is encouraged to pack together for the photo gauntlet to get pics of all the costumes up close.

basically you'll be away from the actual con for a LONG peiod of time and i personally don't think it's worth it, you may actually want to just check out the masq your first year, then decide whether or not to enter then following year.

DalaiLiam
05-01-2006, 05:36 PM

I juyst had an idea... lets see how well the 501st can stay in character. if they come to move you off stage, try using the jedi mind trick. "You will not remove me frome the stage untill I am done."

kitsunered
05-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Ah, wasn't too sure on that part, but the rest of the post still applies. They weren't used to running it in the Centennial. All I was saying, was give the people a bit of the break. Yes, they may be jerks, yes they may be rude. But there was probably a reason for it.

And it certainly didn't warrent some of the hosility I was witness to after the fact.

Actually, that's also incorrect. Previous to the two years the Masquerade was held in the Civic Center, it was held in the Centennial Ballroom. It's been that way since at least 1999, when I started going to Dragon*Con.

Rukia_Kurosaki
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Hope that this year going to turn out better, I been around Dragon Con so long as Staff and I'ev seen many thing change. So maybe it will be address. it happen that I talk with Kat (she run events for D*C)and she will adress it in 2006.
Yes D*C is a Sicfi first Con. So with that on mind we have to let pepole be open minded about the other Fantasy, Sicfi and Movie. But lets us not be rude to other just becuse you don't know the show they come from or don't understand the costume. Enjoy it after all it is the leargest even in D*C and everyone did took a good long time on the costume just for the enjoyment and just 'Cuz you what to win all the time. After all just stepping on stage is the best award of all.

Saber

Thank you the only person on this site that has known me since I was a kid (I'm the little kid that had the playhouse made of boxes several years ago at D*C ^^)

Rukia_Kurosaki
05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
think about what you're going to be showing off, if it's remotely anime, then you may want to the new anime costume contest they'll be holding this year. the masquerade is a whole lot of time lost at the convention, especially when the emcees read your intro wrong and it screws your whole performance. you'll have a lot of paper work to fill out before hand, then when the time comes, you'll have to wait for your turn to que up. then you'll be assigned a "den mother" for you and 9 other costume sets, then you'll be staged and continue to wait for the masq to start. you'll be ushered in to take some professional pics(the only sweet part in my opinion) then you'll wait and wait in the staging area for your turn. if your lucky, your will go off without a hitch, and you'll go back to the staging area. you'll have to wait even longer so you can go through the photo gauntlet. it's dark during the masq and flash photography is discouraged during the show, then everyone is encouraged to pack together for the photo gauntlet to get pics of all the costumes up close.

basically you'll be away from the actual con for a LONG peiod of time and i personally don't think it's worth it, you may actually want to just check out the masq your first year, then decide whether or not to enter then following year.

I agree. Check it out first. Some of the people that were in the Masquerade this year were first timers and like I said before, staff has gone down here. It was a bad year for first timers. Stress from the hotel staff was dropped onto con staff because of Katrina refugees, etc. Hopefully this year will be a lot better. Yay for second year off staff!

Hart
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM

good...GOD...talk about being troublesome O_o This does seem like a really really...long event. But alas Ive waited in lines at conventions and wasted the whole day dealing with paperwork and skits...personally ill be fine with it...but since it'll be my first im considering if i should jsut wait for next year or not...ill deff give it some thought thanks ><

Shadowsaber
08-03-2006, 09:39 PM
hmm will I know there is a Cosplay for anime lovers this year at D*C other then the Masquerade. but not sure when or what time it will be held..