PDA

View Full Version : photographing in the rain....

musica heart
09-30-2005, 11:21 PM
This has been somthing I have wanted to try, but I am wondering what I should use to shield the camera, with out putting a shadow over the shot. And lighting, I don't really wan't to eletricute anyone.
Suggestions?

Neko_Emiko
10-01-2005, 04:10 AM
The only thing I can think of that I have done is covering the camera with a plastic garbage bag and sort of making a make shift cover. As for lighting...I guess nothing that plugs in ^_-

Poisonous Intent
10-01-2005, 11:41 AM
it's easiest to photograph in the rain with a manual camera...you can use a low apeture that will let more light through...your shutterspeed should atleast be 60, (anything lower will cuase your picture to blur).

Electricity and rain don't mix...don't try and light anything in the rain...it's highly dangerous, unless you have a floodlight that is waterproof and runs on batteries. The best way I've found to photgraph something without getting the camera wet is using a triod to stabilize the camera and then covering yourself and the top of the camera (not the lense) with a tarp or waterproof cloth.

ChicoChan
10-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Probably a hard shot, but it's well worth it, if you have a good enough camera. Shots in the rain are GORGEOUS!

TomodachiFriend
10-03-2005, 02:05 PM
You could use off-camera flash units for light. Because of their size, they're easily covered with any piece of carboard or plastic bag.

shiroin
10-04-2005, 02:03 AM
fast shutter speed and high apprature will ensure that the rain does not appear on the photo.
on the other hand, slow shutter speed or low apprature will ensure that the rain appear.

staereo
10-26-2005, 03:18 PM
If youre going to photograph in the rain i strongly suggest getting an actual rain cover for your camera. If you don't want to invest the 20-70 dollars in getting a rain cover for your camera, the next best idea is to set up an umbrella and tape it to a tripod. Then just stand under your umbrella to shoot. I do this at rainy sports games.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=&ci=3313

There are some rain covers if you decide to go that route.

Dont forget that if you use a flash, you will reflect light off of the droplets.

Bruce

Tyrus
10-26-2005, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure what type of camera you use but I found a nice cheap way to protect my SLR in a pinch. For this to work you'll need a lens guard, that you can attach on the end of the lens to normally protect from light flare.

First find a ziplock bag of the correct size. I think I needed a gallon bag. Cut a circular hole in the bag just a little bit smaller than the lens. Put the camera inside the bag and put the lens up to the hole. Screw on the lens guard over the bag edge to secure the bag and create a seal. Try to make sure the bag edge doesn't block the lens. You can then zip the bag closed and the camera is sealed inside except for the glass, and the lens guard should keep water off the lens as long as you don't point it into the rain.

I'll often keep a couple of ziplock bags in my camera bag anyways, so I can protect sensitive gear in general. If i find I need to go into my bag a lot in damp or harsh conditions I'll protect the spare lenses inside a seperate bag.

Kakadokichikun
10-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Its either the rain cover or I came up with an idea...

Maybe you and your lighting can stand in a roof and take the pictures to the "model" in the rain. Never tried it out but just in case I might try it out myself.

Sorry if I wasnt of any help.

tfcreate
10-26-2005, 10:14 PM
There is wetgeer for your camera. You can also do just as well by making your own. I just keep a seperate eyepiece, lens hood and filter exposed to the elements. The rest is sealed in clear, heavy plastic... simular to the plastics that are used in chair covers.
TFC

bohejm
10-27-2005, 11:42 AM
well you can use this used in professional film making, its a white disc shape that ppl hold above the camera to regulate the lighting and well it shields too ^_^